Genealogy Trails


Champaign County, Ohio
Genealogy and History


Part of the Genealogy Trails History Group

logo

 

line
Early Land Patents
line

Source: "History of Champaign County, Ohio" Indianapolis, Ind., B.F. Bowen & Co., 1917
Transcribed by K.T.

line


WAYNE TOWNSHIP

Military Surveys
The records show that there are fifty-three different military surveys represented in Wayne township, not all of which are entirely within the limits of the township, but must be listed in order to show all of the property owners within its limits. Very few, if any, of the old Virginia Revolutionary soldiers who were granted tracts of land in Wayne township, ever saw the land which the generous-hearted state gave them. The largest tract represented in Wayne township contained one thousand nine hundred and fifty-eight acres, survey No. 7311, and was the original entry of James Galloway. There are only seven surveys in the township of more than one thousand acres, while there are three of less than one hundred, one survey, No. 8608, containing only twenty-two acres.
The deed records do not show that any of the original patent holders represented in this township ever lived on their land. Most of it was transferred by a warranty or quit-claim deeds to actual settlers, and most of this was in the hands of resident owners by the latter part of the thirties. The complete list of original patent holders of Wayne township, together with the number of their surveys and the acres of each, is set forth in the following table:


WAYNE TOWNSHIP

Survey No.

Acres

Original Proprietor

4859 550 L. Hollingsworth
3230 640 Augustine Smith
3229 640 Augustine Smith
4697 666 2/3 Peter Pelham
5049 200 John McKinney
10425 640 John Evans
4666 1000 Thomas Browder
4520 675 R. Osborn
4958 500 Finley, Denny & Barreth
5150 370 John Goode
5057 50 W. Tidball
4932 500 R. Means
8608 22 James Galloway
4507 100 Thomas Browder
8422 110 Gross Scruggs
3684 720 J. Calderwood
12795 175 John Evans
5050 200 Jacob Poe
1147 --- Benjamin Biggs
4534 1200 Gabriel Peterson
3695 666 2/3 Thomas Frazier
9007, 9812, 10099 and 10327 366 Ladd & Norville
4606 and 4741 666 2/3 Thomas Sears
9680 and 8997 700 Ladd & Norville
6966 and 7024 300 James Galloway
12382 and 12288 60 T. Melton & J. Galloway
4922 150 John Barreth
5169 393 H. Morton
5123 200 William Herbert
1118 2000 George Weeden
5158 400 George Pomeroy
4284 742 R. Armstrong
4512 600 John Kean
4753 560 William Heath
4516 1064 John Campbell
9455 200 Thomas H. Hinde
6985 450 David Black
6238 1000 George Hoffman
7311 1958 James Galloway
4182 1000 Samuel Smith
4544 1200 John Campbell
9401 150 Clough Shelton
13005 200 Allen Latham
5596 830 William Washington
1386 400 Joseph Swearington
8793 300 William Boniface



RUSH TOWNSHIP

Rush township is in the extreme northeastern corner of the county and was set off from Wayne township with its present boundaries in 1828. It was originally a part of Salem township, but when Wayne township was organized in 1811 it was included within the limits defined for that township. In fact, the history of the early settlement of what is now included within Rush township falls within the history of Wayne, since it was a part of that township for seventeen years, 1811 to 1828. In the chapter relating to Wayne township reference is made to a large number of settlers who were identified with the early history of Rush township, many of whom were connected with both townships. Rush township falls entirely within the lands of the Virginia Military Survey, and consequently all of its lands are surveyed by the metes-and-bounds system. An examination of the original records in the recorder's office shows that there are thirty-eight military surveys in the township which are included wholly or in part within its limits. It will be noticed that many of the surveys of Wayne, Rush, Union and Goshen townships overlap. The largest survey in the township, No. 1118, is that of George Weeden and contains two thousand acres, while the smallest, No. 5863, contains only fifty-three acres, and was entered by Thomas M. Bayley. The list of original proprietors is interesting only in the matter of tracing land titles, since none of them came to the county themselves and located on the land which they entered. Most of these proprietors were merely assignees of the old soldiers whose services had made possible the land grant. The complete list of original proprietors, together with their respective survey numbers and total acreage is set forth in the following table:

RUSH TOWNSHIP

Survey No.

Acres

Original Proprietor

4658, 4678 500 D. Boisseau
7772 83 Walter Dunn
12081, 12744 82 Walter Dunn & G. W. Clark
2833 1000 Peter Manifold
2669 1000 Peter Manifold
102 740 Henry Whiting
4666 1000 Thomas Browder
8422 110 L. Jones
9724 500 Benjamin Forsythe
3476 750 John Askew
5559 200 B. Grines
5808 200 John Baird
8565 500 W. Dunn & N. Haines
1147 1000 Benjamin Biggs
5583 888 John Baird
12613 212 Joseph Spencer
7822 -- Anthony Walker & A. Jones
7323 310 James Galloway
4602, 4741 666 2/3 George Weedon
9002 200 Ladd & Norville
5300, 5948, 5754 242 E. Bowman
10537 400 A. Bowman
5716, 5748, 5754 242 E. Langham
5279 235 D. Bradford
4753 560 William Heath
5753 73 H. Woodson
4568 100 Edward Stokes
7491 1500 Thomas Moore
7311 1955 James Galloway
13503 1600 Lucas Sullivant
7913 200 John A. Fulton
7143 100 William Townsley
5863 53 Thomas M. Bayley
7905 150 J. Galloway & J. Crawford
9014 220 Richard Kennon
5596 830 William Washington




BACK --
HOME




Copyright Genealogy Trails