Champaign County, Ohio
Genealogy and History

Genealogy Trails
Part of the Genealogy Trails History Group


Military Records

Soldiers from Champaign County

Source: "History of Champaign Co, Ohio", J. W. Ogen, W. B. Beers & Co, 1881 - Transcribed by Linda Blue Dietz

War of 1812

Peter Ammon -- During the war of 1812, Peter acted as substitute for another man.

James Black, he was with Gen. Wayne in his march against the Indians, and, in the battle of the Maumee, fought Aug. 20, 1794, he was wounded. A treaty of peace was finally concluded in 1796. He was also in the war of 1812, and held a commission as Captain.

Cornelius Mahan, Jr., was born about 1790, in Pennsylvania, where he grew to majority, and served as a patriot in the war of 1812.

Gabriel Norman -- he was drafted in the war of 1812, but furnished a substitute.

J. T. Schooler, serving as a patriot of the war of 1812, filling a Captain's position through the entire struggle. In 1813, while in military duty, his wife was called away. He died in 1831.

Valentine Snider -- He is one of the patriots of the war of 1812, having enlisted in Rockingham Co., Va., serving three months through but few difficulties, and is now one of the surviving pensioners of that war.

John V. Taylor was a soldier in the war of 1812, serving in the company of Capt. Joseph Vance, who afterward became Governor of Ohio.


Civil War

J. M. Abbott, he enlisted in the United States Army, in Co. E, 113 O. V. I., in which he served until Sept. 23, 1863, when he received four gunshot wounds at the battle of Chickamauga, at which he was also taken prisoner, but paroled on the field nine days after the battle. He was then transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps, in which he served until the close of the war, and was mustered out and discharged at Harrisburg, Penn., July 21, 1865

John J. Arnold, On the 26th of July 1862, he enlisted in the service of his country to suppress the rebellion, as a member of Co. C, 12th Ind. V. I. The first regular engagement in which he participated was at Richmond, Ky., Aug. 30, 1362, under Gen. Nelson. The principal engagements following that were at Memphis, Tenn., and on Grant's right wing at Oxford. On the 6th of January, 1863, they foil back to Grand Junction and served as railroad guards. In March they went to Collierville and Germantown on the same duty, and then to Vicksburg, where they remained till July 3, just one day before the fall of that place. They captured Jackson, Miss., July 15, 1863, and, on the 19th, commenced their return march, when they went to Big Black River, Miss., under Sherman. Here our subject was disabled by exposure and over-marching, which resulted in the loss of his speech; he has not spoken above a whisper since Dec. 7, 1863, his vocal organs being totally destroyed. He was honorably discharged March 13, 1865. In 1866, he removed to Champaign Co.

William R. Arrowsmith, born in Champaign Co. Sept. 29, 1833 son of Mason and Margaret Rock Arrowsmith; he served as a private soldier in the great rebellion, being a member of the 45th Regiment O. V. I.; was taken prisoner at Knoxville, Tenn., Nov. 15, 1863; was taken to Crews 'Prison, Richmond, then to Belle Isle, and on the 4th day of March, 1864, was taken to Andersonville Prison, where he died April 27, 1864.

Hezekiah M. Burns, He was a member of the 134th O. N. G., Co. B, served four months, and received an honorable discharge. On May 26, 1853.

Thomas A. Cowgill, enlisted with many of his companions in the defense of his country, and was made Captain of Co. E, 95th O. V. I., with which he served in the Army of the Mississippi, participating in many of the sanguinary encounters in which that corps was engaged with the enemy. Being mustered out of the service upon the restoration of peace, he returned to his home.

Reuben A. Eleyet, He served in the civil war, a member of the 113th O. V. I., Co. K. Having been in the five days' fight at Rossville, under Sherman, and over-exerting himself, he was sent to the hospital, where he died of heart disease, Aug. 22, 1864.

J. K. Furrow, He enlisted in Co. A. 44th O. V. I., serving over three years, during which time he rose through all the degrees from private to Captain of his company. He afterward served as a cavalryman under Gen. Sheridan. While in service, he piaticipated in the battles of Lewisburg, Va.; Summerset, Ky.; siege of Knoxville, and many others.

Philip W. Gunkel, In 1812, he entered the United States service, enlisting in the company of his brother, Capt. Michael Gunckel; he was chosen Orderly Sergeant, and the company was ordered to Ft Greenville, and, although not brought into active service against the Indians, yet he saw some rough service on the frontier.

L. B. Harmon, when 18 years of age, he enlisted in the 45th O. V. I., and was engaged in a great many battles during the late war. He was taken prisoner at East Philadelphia, Tom., and was in the Libby and Belle Isle Prisons six months. He was discharged from service June 15, 1865, being in the service thirty-four months.

E. C. Hollis, spent about three years in the civil war, a member of Co. A, 2d O. V. I. He participated in the battles of Pcrryville, Resaca, Buzzard's Roost, Stone River, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, and many others, in the Atlantic campaign. He received an honorable discharge and returned to his home at Addison, bearing the mark of one slight flesh wound.

Sherman Huston, in the civil war, he was a member of Co. E, 102d O. V. I.; was captured while on Sherman's raid, before the fall of Atlanta, and imprisoned at Cahaba, Ala., then at Andersonville, where he remained five months, till the close of the war.

David F. Johnson, he enlisted July 30, 1862, in Co. H, 45th O. V. I., and was mustered into service August 19, at Camp Chase. Was in every battle in which his regiment was engaged. He was with Sherman through his campaign, except his march to the sea; was in many hard-fought battles, and made many hair-breadth escapes, one of the most miraculous of which we will record: In the early part of the history of the war, when Col. McCluke was invading Kentucky, he was one of the number who drove him back. Having been in their saddles for nearly forty-eight hours when McCluke crossed the Cumberland River, they were much fatigued and very hungry. A company of four, Lieut. H. Grier, Lieut. B. R. Miller, Solomon G. Brecount and David F. Johnson, proposed to ford the river and hunt something to eat. After considerable of a search, they got a very good supper at a farmhouse among the hills, and after supper started back to camp. It was then well on toward midnight and very dark; doubly so, on account of the deep gorges and high cliffs peculiar to that country. Being very sleepy and tired, he gave his horse the rein and let him select his own course, but presently his little black pony went on a fly over a precipice into the gorge below. He landed probably fifteen feet beyond where the pony did, among some decayed logs, which made a very soft landing. Neither his horse nor himself was seriously injured, but the remainder of the night was consumed in getting righted up. His comrades estimated the distance he fell at from fifty to seventy-five feet, but he thinks it was between thirty-five and fifty. On the 18th of November, the first day of the investment of Knoxville, he fired 365 shots by actual count. He served till the close of the war, and received an honorable discharge.

T. G. Keller, In the fall of 1861, he enlisted in Co. H, 66th 0. V. I., serving until May, 1865. On going out was a private, but rose through all the degrees to Captain of the same regiment, of which he had command at the surrender of Gen. Johnson. He participated in many of the most severe-fought battles, hence has filled an important place in the suppression of the late rebellion. Was one among the few fortunate ones who returned home without a wound or being lodged in the rebel prisons.

Charles Kulenkamp, In 1862, when the late war was raging, he enlisted in Co. C, 108th 0. V. I., serving till the close of his enlisted term, participating in the battles of Hartsville,Tenn., Tomkinsville, Ky., and Resaca, where he was wounded and placed on detached service. Returned to Cincinnati in 1864.

Edward F. Lemen, he enlisted in the 66th O. V. I.; served about sixteen months, and was discharged and returned home, being disabled for military duty, by a wound from an accidental shot.

Benjamin F. Leonard, he enlisted in the 72d Ill. V. I., mustered into the service in August, 1862. He received a severe wound, being shot in both thighs, at the charge on Vicksburg, May 22,1863, after which he was discharged for disability, his life being almost despaired of.

Joseph M. Maitland, he enlisted in 1862, in the 95th 0. V. I., and served a term of three years. On returning from the army he resided with his mother, following the occupation of a farmer and teacher.

Thomas McConnell, he enlisted in the 13th 0. V. I., in which he served through the three months' service; thence enlisted in the 66th O. V. I., in which he entered as a private; was elected First Lieutenant at the organization of the regiment, and, in June following, was promoted to Captain, and, on August 1, 1863, to Major to date of July, 1862, and served till Oct. 22, 1864, when he resigned on account of ill health and returned home. He was in some twenty or more hard-fought battles. In the history of the war, the 66th Regiment has the record of performing some of the most active service, and were placed in some of the most critical positions, and suffered as great hardships and losses as any regiment in the army.

Wallace McCrea, he served three years in the civil war. a member of Co. E, 113th O. V. I., entering as a private, but mustered out as Captain.

S. J. McCullough, took an active part in suppressing the rebellion, serving over three years in the army. He assisted in raising a company for the three-months service, of which he was elected First Lieutenant. This company afterward enlisted for three years, and formed a part of the 77th Penn. V. I. At this juncture, there was an opportunity presented to enlist in the cavalry service, by the volunteering of the ' Big Spring Adamantine Guards," of Cumberland Co., Penn., and, having a desire to be a cavalryman, he enlisted in that company. It was one of the oldest military organizations in the State, having been organized in 1809, and was present at the battle of Baltimore, in the war of 1812. He also volunteered for Mexico, but was not accepted. James McCullough was Captain of this company for a number of years; was first commissioned Second Lieutenant by Gov. Wolf, of Pennsylvania, in 1833. Samuel J. was commissioned Second Lieutenant of the same company by Gov. A. G. Curtin, of Pennsylvania, in 1863. He has in his possession, both his and his father's commissions, the latter antedating the former by thirty years. On the 15th of August, 1861, the company, numbering 110 men, started for Washington, D. C., where they were mustered into service. S. J. McCullongh was appointed to a sergeantship, the only vacant office in the company. They were attached to what was known as "Young's Kentucky Cavalry." Col. Young was dismissed from the service, and Col. W. W. Averill assumed the command of the regiment, which was thenceforth known as the 3d Penn. V. C., and the "Adamantine Guards" as Co. H. Their first winter was spent south of the Potomac, scouting, and occasionally skirmishing. In one of these skirmishes, our subject commanded an advance guard of six men, losing two men wounded, and two horses killed. In March, of 1862, they sailed for the Peninsula with McClellan, and took part in most of the battles of that memorable campaign. With Berdan's Sharpshooters, they led the advance from Fortress Monroe, Great Bethel and Howard's Mills; arriving at Yorktown, they took part in the siege. Again, the 3d Penn. took the advance to Williamsburg, near which town a serious engagement took place, which was terminated by the darkness of night, but was resumed next day. They then moved to Chickahominy, where Samuel J. McCullough was made Sergeant Major of the 3d Penn. by Col. Averill. From this time forward, he was with his regiment, participating in the battles of Gaines' Mill, Savage Station, White Oak Swamp, Glendale and Malvern Hill. Here, by McClellan, his regiment was assigned the honorable duty of covering the retreat from Malvern Hill. They took part in the second battle of Malvern Hill, and, on the 10th of August, covered the retreat from Harrison's Landing to Yorktown, where they embarked on board the steamship Virginia, for Washington, and were next engaged, under McClellan, at the battles of South Mountain and Antietam. In the latter they took a very active part, and were on the extreme right, under Hooker, two of his company being orderlies to Gen. Hooker, when he was wounded. On the 17th of October, thiy had a severe engagement at Shepherdstown, Va., and were subsequently engaged at Ashly's Gap, Piedmont, Markham Station, Gaines' Cross Roads, etc. Here Col. Averill was made Brigadier General, and Col. John B. Mclntosh assumed command of the regiment. Among the other engagements, were those at Rappahannock Station, Kelley's Ford, Rapidan Station, Culpeper, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg and Gettysburg; under Gen. Grant, at the Wilderness, Spottaylvania Court House, Cold Harbor and the siege of Petersburg. Owing to Early's advance on Washington, although their term had expired, they were again mounted and sent into the valley, where they lost a number of men. The 3d Penn. entered the service with 1,200 men, and was mustered out with 310. Out of 109 of their number who were imprisoned at Andersonville, 101 died there. Samuel J. is now leading a farmer's life in Concord Township, Champaign Co.

Capt. S. T. McMorran, In the fall of 1861, he rapidly closed up his private affairs and raised a company of soldiers; he entered the service as Captain of Co. C, 66th 0. V. I. In November of the same fall, they entered Camp McArthur, at Urbana, remaining until January. 1862. when they joined Gen. Landers in Virginia. In the same spring, they were engaged in the battle of Port Republic, in which Capt. McMorran was slightly wounded. Aug. 9, while participating in the battle of Cedar Mountains, he received a second wound, which disabled him for service, and to-day leaves him affected. He returned home in January, 1863; joined the military Home Guard, which was mustered into service the same spring, continuing out 100 days. Thus has he shown a helping hand in the military duties of our country.

John T. Mitchell, enlisted in Co. A, 66th O. V. I.; at the organization of Co. A, was elected 1st Sergeant; in the summer of 1862, was commissioned 2d Lieutenant; while engaged in the battle of Cedar Mountain, Aug. 9 of the same year, he was severely wounded by a rifle ball passing through his body; it was supposed to be a mortal wound, but in ninety days he rejoined his regiment; early in the year of 1863, he was commissioned 1st Lieutenant, subsequently to Captain of the same company; afterward promoted to Major, Lieutenant Colonel and Colonel of the same regiment, serving until the close of the war, when ho was mustered out, brought to Columbus, Ohio, where he was honorably discharged, and participated in the grand review at Washington with Sherman's army.

John P. Neer, three years that were spent in the civil war. He enlisted July 30, 1862, and was mustered out June 19, 1865. He served as private a short time only, when from Corporal he was promoted to different offices. For the last year and a half he served as Orderly Sergeant, but was mustered out as First Lieutenant, which was merely a complimentary commission. He was a member of Co. H, 45th O. V. I. At Dutton Hill they were first engaged. He was in the East Tennessee campaign in 1863; was besieged at Knoxville; was in the Georgia campaign in 1864; engaged at Resaca, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta and Jonesboro. When Sherman started to the sea, they came back and fought Hood at Franklin, under Thomas and Schofield. He was shot through the left lung at Knoxville, which disabled him for a time. With that exception, or when on detached duty, he was never absent from his regiment during; the whole of his service.

Eli Pence, At this time the great crisis of our country was raging, and he entered Co. H, 45th O. V. I., serving to the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged at Columbus, Ohio. During his military life, he participated in the battles of Knoxville, Tenn.; London, Tenn.

J. F. Riker, he enlisted in Co. E, 113th O. V. I., serving two years, during which time he was remarkably fortunate, never participated in any battles, therefore returned home uninjured.

John Shaneley, He enlisted in the 42d O. V. I., and went forward to battle for his country; he was engaged in eleven hard battles and a great many skirmishes, and served three years.

G. W. Snyder, In August, 1863, when the great war of the rebellion was raging, he enlisted in Co. H, 82d 0. V. I., from which he was honorably discharged in the spring of 1864, on account of poor health.

W. H. Terrell, In 1861, at the first call for soldiers, he enlisted in the three months' service; was discharged, and re-enlisted in Co. G, 1st O. V. G. Was in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge. Was taken prisoner at Stone River, but made his escape. Was wounded and taken prisoner in a battle near Knoxville, Tenn; was taken to Libby, in Richmond, and Belle Isle, where he remained five months; was then removed to Andersonville, Ga., where he remained six months. Was taken to Atlanta to be exchanged; was within our own lines, but yet under rebel guard, as there were only 2,000 included in the agreement of exchange, and his term of service was six months expired. He was sent back to Macon. Ga., where he remained one month; from there he was removed to Millen, Ga., but the uncertainties of Sherman's then future famous "march to the sea" caused the rebels to send the prisoners to Savannah, Ga. Was sent down the Savannah on the boat R. E. Lee, where he was. with 300 others, received on our Government boats and taken to Annapolis, Md., from which place he returned home on the7th day of November, 1867.

J. C. Tomlin, at the age of 18, when the great crisis of our country was raging, he enlisted in Co. I, 8th 0. V. C., serving eighteen months; while in service, he was engaged in several battles; was wounded in the battle of Liberty, W. Va., but was one of the fortunate ones to return to his native State, locating in Champaign Co.


Copyright © Genealogy Trails