Libbie C. Riley Baer
BAER, Mrs. Libbie C. Riley, poet, born near Bethel, Clermont county, Ohio, 18th November, 1849. Her ancestors on the paternal side were the two families Riley and Swing. From the original family of the former descended the distinguished poet and humorist, James Whitcomb Riley, and from the latter the eminent philosopher and preacher, Prof. David Swing, of Chicago. On the maternal side Mrs. Baer is a descendant of the Blairs, an old and favorably known family of southern Ohio. It is not surprising, therefore, that through early associations, combined with a natural taste and aptitude for literary work, her genius for poetry was shown during childhood. Her first poem, written when she was scarcely ten years of age, was a spontaneous and really remarkable production for one so young. In November, 1867, she was married to Capt. John M. Baer, an officer with gallant military record. She went with her husband to Appleton, Wis., where they still reside. Upon the organization of the Woman's Relief Corps, as allied with the G. A. R., Mrs. Baer took an important part in the benevolent work of that order, and was held various responsible positions connected therewith, devoting much time and energy to the cause, solely as a labor of love. Though always proficient in poetical composition, she really began her literary career during the last decade, and the favor with which her poems have been received proves the merit of her productions. [Source: American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Vol. 1, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow]
BRUNAUGH, James, manager Diamond Match Co.: born in Clermont Co., O., Nov. 17, 1832; son of William and Elizabeth (Young) Brunaugh; educated in country district schools; married, Mt. Pleasant, Ia., 1855, Sarah E. Brazelton; children: William (deceased), Samuel, James F. Went from Ohio to Mt. Pleasant, Ia., 1853; held position in bank a short time, then operated a line of warehouses at the terminals of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy R. R.; enlisted in 6th Iowa Volunteer Infantry, May, 1861, was appointed regimental quartermaster; resigned before close of war on account of ill health. Removed from Iowa to St. Louis, 1864; engaged in manufacture of matches in St. Louis, 1865, and continued in the business until the Diamond Match Co. purchased factories at St. Louis and other points in 1881; has since been manager of the Diamond Match Co. Club: Missouri Athletic. Recreation: athletics. Office: 732 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 3634 Castleman Avenue. [Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912; Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]
Harry Washington Frost
FROST, Harry Washington; born, Felicity, O., (Clermont Co) Feb. 22, 1860; son of Marcus O. and Mary S. (Carter) Frost; public and high school education; married at Minneapolis, Sept. 12, 1883, Nellie M. McCord. Began active career as a boy in office of the Marshall Herald, Marshall, Ill.; acquired half interest in the paper, 1881, and continued under firm name of M. O. Frost & Son until 1883, when sold out; removed to Topeka, Kan., and began publishing the Saturday Evening Lance, June, 1883; went to Chicago as secretary and western business manager of the Railway Age, 1892, continuing for five years; located in Detroit, 1897, and acted as general manager of the Monarch Brake Beam Co., and was identified with Berry Bros., Ltd., 1902-05; organized the Frost Railway Supply Co., 1905, of which has since been president. Was member 7th Battalion, Illinois National Guard, advancing to captain, and resigned, 1881; was lieutenant-colonel 3d Regiment, Kansas National Guard, resigning, 1892. Republican. Member Ohio Society, of Detroit. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Boat, Detroit Golf; Union League (Chicago). Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: 812 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: Addison Apts. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - Transcribed by Christine Walters]
General Ulysses S. Grant
By George C. Dietrich
On the grounds of the State Agricultural Society at Ohio's capital there stands a building which is an object of interest to visitors. It is a frame building of two small rooms - an upper and a lower story - with a large stone chimney on the outside, all encased in a glass building, that it may be seen but that its walls may not be defaced and despoiled by the souvenir seeker.
This humble cabin was the first home of a great American. In this house on the banks of the Ohio River at Point Pleasant, Clermont County, Ulysses Grant was born on the 27th of April 1822.
His father, Jesse Grant, was an immigrant from Pennsylvania; his grandfather and great grandfather had served as soldiers in the Colonial and Revolutionary Wars, from Connecticut. From these, Ulysses, or "Lis" as he was familiarly known when a boy, inherited a vigor and hardihood of strength, a martial spirit, and an intense loyalty to American institutions.
His mother's maiden name was Simpson and later in life he was known as Ulysses Simpson Grant, though he was first named Ulysses Hiram. That he, the oldest son, was named Ulysses by his mother's sister, who at the time was reading of this Greek hero, indicates that his mother's family also were admirers of martial life. The parents of the boy, in his early life, were often joked in regard to his name, and by some persons he was given the undeserved name of "Useless Grant." There was one, his mother, who was certain that the boy's future career would not justify this sobriquet. From his mother, young Ulysses inherited steadiness of purpose, patience and equability of temper, as well as that reticence which gave him the title of "The Silent Man."
The greater part of Grant's boyhood was spent in Georgetown, Brown County, Ohio, and there, to this day, is standing a substantial brick building which was erected by his father, who was one of the prosperous citizens of this staid old town. His father's business of tanning prospered in Georgetown, because of the abundance of bark furnished by the oak forests in that vicinity. The boy Ulysses disliked his father's trade, but greatly enjoyed working in the woods, on the farm, or any place where he might be near horses, for these he loved greatly. When only eight years of age he had charge of a team and his horses were always fat and sleek.
Young Grant was not a brilliant pupil in school, though in mathematics he had little or no difficulty. He was glad to make use of the limited advantages offered by the schools in that day, and was regular in attendance. That his opportunity for securing an education might be improved, he was sent across the river to Maysville, Kentucky, to school for several months. He did good work in this school, and was an active member of the school's literary society.
His life was not unlike the lives of other boys in his community, with whom he associated. His companions were of the crowd that did not use tobacco or liquor, and his best friends were often boys older than himself. He was considered good company because he was a good listener. He avoided all prominence, and this made him a general favorite with all who knew him. His father and mother relied much upon his ability to take care of himself. When quite young he made long overland trips on matters of business for his father. So when, at the age of seventeen, an opportunity was offered the boy of entering the military school at West Point, his parents were glade of his chance to equip himself for a military life, and were confident that he would be able to take care of himself.
He spent the next four years in this school, winning few honors in classes, but laying the foundation for the illustrious career that awaited him. The routine of the life at West Point was not altogether pleasing to a fresh young Westerner. The difficult lessons, the continual drill in tactics, the sentry duty, the subjection to higher classmen, and the disagreeable tasks they imposed, no doubt seemed annoying to young Grant, but all these were contributing to his development into one of the world's greatest generals.
His West Point career ended, having ranked only an average student, he was glad of the change to garrison duty. In this work, two or three years were now spent near St. Louis, and at this time he met Miss Julia Dent, whom he afterwards married.
In 1884, the Mexican War presented the first opportunity to him of entering active military service. For meritorious conduct in the campaigns on the Rio Grande and around Mexico City he was advanced to the rank of first lieutenant and was twice breveted. His part in these campaigns proved a valuable experience for him, since he served under General Taylor, who was noted for his easy and free regulations, and also under General Scott who was distinguished for his severe discipline. Later as a great general, Grant seemed to strike a happy medium between these diametrically opposed plans of organization.
After the close of the Mexican War, Grant was ordered to garrison duty with his regiment on the Pacific coast. Fresh laurels came to him for successfully engineering the transportation of his regiment across the Isthmus of Panama, when success seemed almost impossible. He remained in the army until 1854, when his dissatisfaction increasing with the routine of garrison duty and when with the constant separation of himself from his family, he resigned and returned to Missouri. Here as a civilian he tried for six years to succeed, but as a farmer, as a real estate agent, as a clerk he was hardly able to support his family. This was the darkest period in the life of Grant, yet his associations with both Northern and Southern people, his being brought face to face with civilian duties, his being forced to battle against poverty, all were contributing to developing those traits that were needed for his future career.
At the beginning of the great struggle over slavery, his sympathies were all with the North. Because of aid rendered Governor Yates of Illinois, in which State he now resided, in mustering this State's quota of soldiers, and because of his regular army experience, he was commissioned as Colonel of the Twenty-first regiment of Illinois volunteers. It is interesting to note that an appointment as Colonel of the Twelfth regiment of Ohio volunteers came a few days too late for acceptance. In the same year, without his knowledge or solicitation, Grant was appointed a Brigadier General by President Lincoln. Busy days were now before him. He came before the eyes of the whole people because of his successful campaign in Missouri, and also because of his capture of Fort Donelson. He success in these campaigns assisted greatly in restraining some of the border States from joining the Confederacy. It was at Fort Donelson, in reply to a request for terms of surrender from Gen. Buckner, that he used the following famous words. "No terms except unconditional and immediate surrender can be accepted. I propose to move immediately upon your works."
His next great battle was that of Shiloh Church. The Confederate army perpetrated a surprise on the Union army, and for a time conditions seemed very discouraging, but Grant's coolness, perfect control, courage and well-directed plans changed what bade fair to be a sad defeat into one of the greatest victories of the war.
On July 4th, 1863, Grant brought joy to the Northern people, and dismay to the Southern, for on this day, he received the capitulation of the stragetic point, Vicksburg,, which had been besieged for many months, and the surrender of more than thirty-two thousand soldiers. His successful campaigns in the West were revealing to the authorities that Grant was the man of destiny, who might bring the war to a close. Ten days after the great victory which was won under his leadership at Chattanooga, a bill was introduced in Congress establishing the rank of lieutenant general. This bill passed almost unanimously for it was known that the President was to appoint Grant to this grade. Prior to this Washington alone had borne the rank, but Grant was now placed in command of any army ten times as large as hand ever been under Washington. With the finest army the world has ever seen at his services he set about to crush the rebellion by breaking its military power. He entrusted to his strong friend, and very great Ohio general, W. T. Sherman, the task of destroying the rebel army under J. E. Johnson. He himself was to threaten, worry, confuse, defeat and destroy Lee's army, or bring it to a condition of surrender. It is only true to Grant's style of fighting to say, that in the next few months he won only doubtful victories, because of great loss of life, but he was constantly on the offensive, and was gradually weakening and destroying the rebel army. His principal battles were the "Wilderness," "Spottsylvania," "North Anna," "Cold Harbor," "Petersburg," and "Appomattox." Lee was forced to surrender and Grant drew up the terms, "the officers and men were paroled, and allowed to return to their homes, *** and the men to retain their horses, and take them home to work their little farms." No conquering general ever granted such terms, expressing so much magnaminity, generosity and thoughtfulness.
The war was now practically at an end. Yet Grant's countrymen would not permit the modest unobstrusive, successful hero to retire from public view. At the very next Presidential election, he was chosen to the chief magistracy. Two administrations with many difficult problems to solve, reveled the fact that he was as great in peace as in war. His friends clamored for a third term, but he gave it no encouragement.
After a trip around the world, upon which he was given every honor, and was recognized as America's noblest and ablest man, he returned to the land that he had done so much to preserve as a great nation of the world. He located in New York City, where he entered business. Here on July 23d, 1885, after a long and painful illness, U. S. Grant passed from earth. The last few months of his life saw the completion of his memoirs, which will offer interesting reading to every Ohio boy. ["Ohio History Sketches"
edited by Francis Bail Pearson and J.D. Harler, 1903 - Submitted by Linda Rodriguez]
John Hancock was born on the 19th day of February, 1825, near the town of Felicity , Clermont county, Ohio . Of his remote ancestry we have not much definite knowledge. Shortly before the death of General Hancock, he ordered Lieutenant William F., son of Dr. John Hancock, to report to him at Governor's Island, for the purpose of making inquiry concerning his family. On being told by the young lieutenant that his great-grandfather, Henry Hancock, came from New Jersey , the General replied : "I, too, am of that family, and you and I are the only officers of that name in the army." The interview was interrupted and the general's death occurred before it could be resumed; so that this little scrap is about all we have of the early family history.
John Hancock was the eldest of five children. His father, David Hancock, was by occupation a carpenter. He was a devout Methodist, a great Bible student, and a ready and pleasing conversationalist. The mother's maiden name was Roberts, a sprightly woman of Welsh descent, who died at thirty-five, leaving five small children. A childless couple by the name of Moore in the neighborhood besought the father for John, the eldest, and he became the light and joy of their otherwise desolate home. Mrs. Moore was a good woman, strong intellectually, of great firmness, tempered with motherly kindness, and her influence on the character of the boy was very marked. It is said that her good old face at the age of ninety would still ripple with smiles at the mirthful sallies of the boy she called her own, long since grown to manhood.
After acquiring what the county district school of his native county afforded, the boy John attended Clermont Academy , and subsequently entered Farmer's College, at College Hill, near Cincinnati . How long he continued here, I am not able to say, but he never completed a college course. It is believed that "Aunt Mary Moore's" snug little library, supplemented by his own early purchases of books, did more to shape his career than the schools he attended. To those are attributed largely the beginnings of his great love of good books, and those scholarly tastes and habits which continued to grow to the end of his life. His love for good books was one of his ruling passions.
The main incidents of Dr. John Hancock's career as a teacher are well known. While yet quite young he taught in the country schools of his native county, and afterwards in the neighboring villages of Amelia. Batavia , and New Richmond . It was during these years that he became familiar with the conditions and needs of the country and village schools, and learned to sympathize with the teachers in their trials and discouragements.
In 1850, Dr. Joseph Ray met the young schoolmaster at an educational gathering in Clermont county, and induced him to go to Cincinnati to take the place of the first assistant in the Upper Race Street School , under that stalwart schoolmaster, Andrew J. Rickoff, as principal. After three years of service in this position, he succeeded Mr. Rickoff in the principalship, and a year later became principal of the First Intermediate School in the same city, a position he held for ten years. I visited his school in 1863, and heard a recitation in grammar conducted by him. which made a lasting impression on my mind. It was characterized by a degree of intellectual life and thoroughness that made the faces of the pupils glow. A favorite practice of his, which at that time arrested my attention, was to require every definition, principle or rule stated to be illustrated by an original example.
In 1867 he became superintendent of the Cincinnati schools, an honorable and responsible position which he filled with credit for seven years.
Dayton was his next field of labor, where he filled the office of superintendent of public instruction for a period of ten years. On his retirement from this position, a meeting of leading citizens was held to bear public testimony to his personal worth and the faithfulness and efficiency of his work. One long identified with the educational interests of the city was called to preside. His address upon taking the chair contains the following: "Dr. Hancock may look back with proud satisfaction to his ten years of labor in Dayton . It might well satisfy the laudable ambition of any man to be permitted for so long a time to impress and mould the character of thousands of youth and children. As members of the board of education associated with him at various times in his work, we have had the best means of knowing how faithfully and efficiently he has discharged the duties of his office. He has not been a mere office superintendent, but has given his whole time during school hours to personal supervision of the daily work of the school-room. While an excellent general system of instruction has been adhered to, rigid rules have not been enforced to crush out the individuality of teachers. He has insisted on good work, but has been content when it has been accomplished in whatever manner. He has harmonized the discordant elements in our schools, and during his administration peace and good will have characterized all the intercourse between superintendent and teachers. But best of all. he has exerted a beneficent influence on our schools by the purity of his character. On all moral questions he has given no doubtful sound. No boy in the schools could point to his example as an excuse for the slightest departure from the purest morality. In addition to his work in the schools he has ever been a public spirited citizen. No effort to advance the intellectual and moral culture of the community has failed to enlist his warm sympathy and support."
More than a score of other prominent citizens followed in similar strain, bearing willing testimony to his high qualities of mind and heart and the great value of his work.
In 1886, Dr. Hancock, by appointment, represented the educational interests of his State at the World's fair at New Orleans, and soon after accepted a unanimous call to the superintendency of the public schools of Chillicothe.
November 23, 1888, he was called by Governor Foraker to the office of State Commissioner of Common Schools, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Commissioner Tappan, and at the State election in 1889 he was duly elected to that office for the full term of three years, beginning on the second Monday of July, 1890. At the time of his death he had served nearly a year of the regular term for which he was elected. His high qualifications for this office are universally recognized. His extensive and varied experience, his profound study of education in all its phases, his familiarity with the school system of the State and the systems of other states and countries, his abounding enthusiasm and deep devotion to the cause, his genial and unselfish spirit, and his all-pervading love, of his fellow-men made him pre-eminent in his high office. He popularized as well as magnified his office.
His name appears for the first time in the proceedings of the Ohio Teachers' Association in 1852, in the list of Hamilton county delegates. From that time to his death he was a most faithful and efficient member, always present and always active. He was honored with the presidency of the Association in 1859.
The National Teachers' Association, now called the National Educational Association, was organized at Philadelphia , in 1857. At its first regular meeting at Cincinnati , in 1858, Dr. Hancock became a member, and continued to take an active part in its proceedings as long as he lived. He presided over its deliberations at the eighteenth annual meeting, held at Philadelphia in 1879. He was also identified with the National Council of Education, a select body of educators formed in 1881. and holding its sessions in connection with the meetings of the National Educational Association.
His services as county, city and State examiner of teachers must not be overlooked. In all these capacities he was conscientious and painstaking.
He was a ready writer and a large contributor to the educational periodicals. There are few of the forty volumes of the Ohio Educational Monthly that do not contain thoughtful articles from his pen.
Dr. Hancock's experience as a soldier deserves mention. In May, 1804, a number of Cincinnati teachers belonging to the National Guards, among them Dr. Hancock and Mr. Rickoff, were called into service at Washington . The July number of the Ohio Educational Monthly for that year contains a characteristic letter written by our friend Hancock while doing duty as a soldier at Arlington Heights . He speaks of long marches in the hot sun and of blistered hands from using the spade in the trenches for ten hours a day. The following passage indicates that military discipline and army life were not to him entirely congenial: "The mysteries of military procedure are incomprehensible to the common mind. The only two points that I can pretend to understand are, that the private soldier is to be constantly reminded of his utter nothingness, and that the military way to do things is the longest and hardest way. I am afraid, however anxious they may be to do their duty faithfully, that teachers will not make good soldiers, for they will think, which is an offence that is rank and smells to heaven in the nostrils of red tape."
In the institute work of the State, Dr. Hancock may be classed as a pioneer. He assisted in organizing and conducting the first institute in his native county, and he continued to do effective work as an institute instructor to the end of his life. There are few, if any, counties in the State, in which he has not labored in that capacity, and he never seemed happier than when discussing some phase of school work before a body of teachers.
The story of Dr. Hancock's career is the old story of honesty, industry, self-reliance and perseverance. In him was no guile. He loved right and hated wrong. He walked day by day on the line of rectitude. In nearly forty years that I have known him, I never heard a suspicion cast upon his honesty. He was a lover and a doer of the truth. His simplicity, directness and naturalness, in all relations, were admirable. He never left room for doubt as to his meaning or his position on any question of importance.
He was an industrious worker. His broad and varied scholarship and his ready and effective use of his powers were wrought out by his own industry. Early obstacles and privations did not deter him from putting to use the talent committed to him. He made great attainment and won high rank by doing a true man's honest work day by day.
Though Dr. Hancock was an earnest man, there was in him a vein of humor which gave zest to his conversation and made him the life of every circle in which he moved. His wit was of the chaste and refined type, and always tempered with goodness of heart.
He was magnanimous - great of mind and large of heart. There was nothing petty in his nature. No mean jealousies marred his intercourse with his fellow workers. In all the years of my acquaintance with him, I never knew him to indulge in detraction or in harsh or unkind criticism of fellow-teachers. He was disposed to look upon the sunny side.
Of Dr. Hancock as an educator, praise is in all the school districts. In his educational doctrine and practice he was what might be called a liberal conservative. He believed in progress, but had little faith in royal roads to learning. He was not apt to be carried away by the newest educational theories and devices. His batteries of wit and sarcasm were sometimes trained upon those conservatives who are sure the old way is always best; but oftener upon the camp of the radicals, who, in his own words, are ever discovering "the true educational philosopher's stone that is to transmute everything it touches into the golden ore of wisdom." [Source: "Educational History of Ohio" by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - Submitted by Linda Rodriguez]
Robert S. Hartman
Robert S. Hartman, farmer, Sec. 3; P. O. Union City; born in Clermont Co., Ohio, Dec. 2, 1824; his father, Samuel Hartman, was born in Middlesex Co., N.J., March 19, 1790; in 1795, he emigrated with his parents to Kentucky, and in 1801, came to the Territory of Ohio and located in Clermont County; he died May 13, 1862, upon the old homestead, where he located sixty-one years previous; his first wife was Sarah Dunham; she died in Brown Co., Ohio, in 1841, leaving eight children, of whom two now survive. The subject of this sketch was raised to farm labor until 18 years of age ; the following six years he devoted to farming and carpentering; in February, 1856, he came to Darke County, and is classed among the old settlers, having been a resident for nearly a quarter of a century. He married Abigail Jones in 1849; she died in 1860, leaving one child- Franklin D. His marriage with Mary E. Marsh was celebrated in Darke County Jan. 23, 1862; she came to Darke County with her father, William Marsh, in 1853, where her father died after a residence of ten months. The children of Robert S. and Mary E. (Marsh) Hartman were eight in number, of whom four are deceased; the living are William T., Nancy E., Robert M. and George W. The great-grandmother of Robert S. Hartman, Ann Hutchinson, born March 16, 1700 (old style), was the mother of William Hutchinson, whose daughter Mary married Christopher Hartman in April, 1777; William Hutchinson was born Dec. 13. 1724; Catherine (Vohn) Hutchinson, his wife, was born May 17,1731; their children were Mary, born March 24, 1755; William, March 12, 1757; Hannah, Aug. 9, 1759; Robert, July 26, 1763; Sylvester, April 20, 1765; Aaron. May 17, 1767; Ezekiel, Oct 18, 1769; Ann, July 8, 1772; Catherine, Jan. 3, 1775. The grandfather of Robert S. Hartman was Christopher Hartman, born May 6, 1750; Mary Hutchinson. his wife, was born March 24, 1755; they were the parents of eight children-William, born Feb. 17, 1778; Isaac, Sept. 2, 1779; Rebecca, June 3,1781; Elizabeth, May 22, 1783; Katharine, Sept. 27, 1785; Samuel, March 19, 1790; Fanny, March 5, 1793; Rachael, Dec. 29,1796. Samuel Hartman, the father of Robert S. Hartman, was twice married ; his first wife was Sarah Dunham, who was the mother of Robert S.; she died in Brown Co., Ohio, in 1841; of eight children, only two now survive; his second wife was Mrs. Elizabeth (Huntington) Browning, married Oct. 17, 1844; four children were born to them-Sarah F., born Aug. 4, 1845; Jane A., May 12, 1847; Emily C., April 10, 1849; Nancy E., April 13, 1851. ["The History of Darke County, Ohio: containing a history of the county..."; W.H. Beers & Co, 1880]
A biographical record of Mississinawa township would be incomplete were there failure to mention Harvey Hill, who is an enterprising farmer living on section 20. Ohio numbers him among her native sons, for he was born in Clermont county. January 15, 1838. His father, Nathan Hill, was a native of the same locality, born August 1, 1806, and the grandfather, Thomas Hill, was born in North Carolina. He there became the owner of a plantation and a number of slaves, but he left his bondsmen in North Carolina, save one old negro, Uncle Dick, who was very much attached to him and followed him to Ohio, on his removal to the Buckeye state, about 1801. Thomas Hill became one of the pioneer.residents of Clermont county, taking up his abode in the midst of the forest. He wedded a southern lady, a wealthy planter's daughter, who knew nothing of work or of pioneer life, but she possessed a heroic spirit and became a practical housewife, proving to her husband an able helpmate. She reared a large family of sons and daughters, but all are now deceased. One daughter, Mrs. Sarah South, removed to Danville, Indiana. The mother of these children after her husband's death made her home with her son, Nathan Hill. When called to her final rest her remains were interred in the old family burying ground by the side of Thomas Hill. The farm has now passed out of the possession of the family, but Mr. Hill has a description .and deed of the old tract of two hundred and fifty acres where his grandfather settled before Ohio was admitted to the Union. This was divided into four sections in 1822. The Hill ancestors were Irish, and at the time of the Revolutionary war Thomas Hill became one of the loyal Colonial soldiers who aided in establishing the independence of the nation. On the maternal side our subject is descended from one of the old families of Ohio. His father, Nathan Hill, on attaining man's estate was joined in wedlock, in Clermont county, to Mary Ann Frazee, who was born in that county, December 8, 1816, a daughter of John Frazee, whose wife bore the maiden name of Miss Higbee. Their marriage occurred June 29, 1837, and was blessed with seven children: Harvey, of this review; Jacob, who died in infancy; Elizabeth, who was born in 1842 and died in 1843; Albert F., who was born in January, 1844, and died the same year; William, who was born in December, 1844, and now resides with his family in Anderson, Indiana; John F., who was born December 15, 1846, and is now living in Chicago, whither he went in 1891 and during the World's Fair made ten thousand dollars in the hotel business, so that he is now comfortably situated in life; and the youngest child of the family, a son, died in infancy. The mother died June 1, 1849, and the father afterward wedded Elizabeth Bricker. His last days were spent upon the old homestead farm, where he died August 7, 1869. He had located thereon in 1854, purchasing a quarter-section of rich timber land, on the river bottoms, and in order to build a cabin he had to clear away the trees, for the forest was very dense. His first home was a very primitive one and the family lived in true pioneer style. Deer, turkeys and all kinds of small game were very plentiful and the subject of this review has often shot wild game, thus supplying the table with meat.
Harvey Hill began his education in the old-time school-house, with its puncheon floors, slab seats, greased-paper windows and roughly made writing desks. He attended school from four to six months in a year during his early boyhood and was afterward in school only during the winter season. He was early inured to the arduous labor of developing and improving land and in early life not only worked for his father but was also employed by others in preparing the land for the plow. On leaving the home farm, at the age of twenty-three, he worked out in the county until 1864, when he removed to Illinois, spending some time in McLean and Livingston counties, also a part of one season in Iowa. On the expiration of that period he returned to the old homestead.
On the 17th of November, 1873, Mr. Hill was united in marriage, at the age of thirty-four years, to Martha Ellen Matthews, who was born in Preble county, August 5, 1854, a daughter of Robert Matthews. They located in the old home which the father had erected in 1854, and their union was blessed with two children: William Jesse, who was born November 2, 1874, and Amy Grace, who was born March 8, 1880, and is now the wife of Charles Jones, by whom she has a little son, Claudius Jones. Mrs. Hill died March 22, 1895. She was a woman of many excellent characteristics, respected and esteemed by a large circle of friends, and her loss was deeply mourned throughout the entire community.
Mr. Hill devotes his time and energies to general farming and is the owner of eighty-five acres of rich and arable land which he keeps under a high state of cultivation. Like most of the farmers of this locality he has given much attention to the raising of corn and hogs and also raises some cattle. His business affairs have been earnestly prosecuted and his diligence and careful management have secured to him a comfortable competence. He has followed in the political footsteps of his father, who cast his first presidential vote for General Jackson, and is a stanch Democrat in his political belief. In 1870 he was elected township clerk, in which office he served for thirteen consecutive years and for six years he has served as a justice of the peace, discharging his duties with marked promptness and impartiality. He was also township trustee for five years, has been a member of the board of education for six years and is now serving his third year as infirmary director. He is a citizen whose devotion to the public welfare is most marked, and his official prerogatives as well as his efforts in private life are exercised for the benefit of those measures which he believes will contribute toward the public good. He has served for thirty years in office and has yet to meet the first political defeat.
Mr. Hill has in his possession an illustrated primer which his father studied on first attending school, and this is a muchprized heirloom. He has long been a witness to the development of this section of the state and from pioneer days down to the present time the name of Hill has been associated with all that is best and most commendable in connection with the public affairs and progress of his part of the Buckeye state. [Source: A Biographical History of Darke County, Ohio by Lewis Publishing Co, 1900; Contributed by Linda Dietz]
James M. Lansdowne
No compendium such as the province of this work defines in its essential limitations will serve to offer fit memorial to the life and accomplishment of the honored subject of this memoir, a man remarkable in the breadth of his wisdom, in his indomitable perseverance, his strong individuality, and yet one whose entire life had not one esoteric phase, being an open scroll, inviting the closest scrutiny. True, he accomplished much in life, and yet his entire accomplishments but represented the result of the fit utilization of the innate talent which was his, and the directing of his efforts along those lines where mature judgment and rare discrimination lead the way. He was indeed an important factor in the business and moral life of the community with which he was connected, and in his death Greenville and Darke county lost one of its most valued citizens.
James Moreton Lansdowne was a native of Clermont county, Ohio, born on the 24th of December, 1846, his parents being Dr. Zachariah M. and Mary Gray (Hoover) Lansdowne. His father was a native of Kentucky, and in childhood removed to Clermont county, Ohio, where he was reared and married Miss Hoover, a native of that county. This worthy couple became the parents of eight children, James M. being the only son and second child. About the year 1850 his parents took their family to Cincinnati, and in 1855 came to Greenville, where Mr. Lansdowne, of this review, made his home until his life's labors were ended. In the public schools he acquired his preliminary education, which was supplemented by one's years study in Antioch College; but in 1864, when not yet eighteen years of age, he put aside all personal considerations, and responded to his country's call for troops. Prompted by a spirit of patriotism, he enlisted as a member of the One Hundred and Fifty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of hostilities, taking part in the short but active engagements of his regiment, and remaining faithfully at his post until the starry banner of the nation was planted in the capital of the southern Confederacy. After his return to Greenville Mr. Lansdowne hardships of pioneer life soon told upon the father's health and he died in 1837. His wife remained upon the homestead and survived him about sixteen years, dying in 1853. [Source: A Biographical History of Darke County, Ohio Warner, Beers & Co., 1880; Contributed by Linda Dietz]
Elias Littleton, a pioneer in the garden farming industry of Terre Haute, was born in Clermont county. Ohio, December 28, 1831, a son of Thomas and Catherine (Beckelheimer) Littleton, natives respectively of Kentucky and Pennsylvania. The mother was a resident of Ohio from the age of three years, and the father was twenty when he moved there from Kentucky, and both died in that commonwealth. Thomas Littleton operated a sawmill during the most of his active business career in connection with his farming and mechanical work, and Mrs. Littleton was one of the noted weavers of her time. Nine children were born to them, namely: Leanore, Betsy and John, all deceased; Derius, who has never married and resides in Ohio; Elias, of this review, and Jane. Thomas. Barbara and Van Buren, also deceased.
Elias Littleton grew to years of maturity on his father's farm, and remained at home until his twenty-first year, when he married and established a home of his own, removing' to Hancock county, Indiana, where he first purchased eighty acres and later twenty acres more. For eighteen years he was engaged in general agricultural pursuits there, but selling the farm then he came to Honey Creek township, Vigo county, in 1866 and bought twenty acres, the nucleus of his present homestead. By a subsequent purchase he became the owner of thirty-four acres, and here he has ever since followed gardening. He was one of the first to engage in that industry in Terre Haute, and he still drives his wagon during the summer months. Mr. Littleton is also a blacksmith and has made five wagons complete for his own use, three of them having worn out in the service and the remaining two are still in use. He is a Democrat politically and has had fraternal relations with the Odd Fellows order.
On the 10th of November, 1840, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Littleton and Sarah Beckelheimer. She was born in Clermont county, Ohio, December 4, 1824, and died on the 23d of August, 1900. The only child of this union was Aaron S., who was born in 1841 and died November 5, 1880, leaving a wife and two children, Frank L. and Nettie M. The daughter is the wife of Thomas Cane, a lawyer, of Noblesville, Indiana. The son, Frank, received his education in the high school and DePauw University of Greencastle, and going then to Indianapolis he began reading law under the preceptorship of a Mr. Elliott, with whom he was also in partnership for about five years. Since then he has served as the attorney for the Big Four Railroad Company, with residence in Indianapolis. Mrs. Littleton subsequently became the wife of a Mr. Smith and resides in Noblesville, Indiana. Mr. Littleton, of this review, is a member of the Methodist church. [Source: Greater Terre Haute and Vigo County, Vol 2, Lewis Publishing Co., 1908 -- Contributed by Linda Blue Dietz]
Hugh T. McKibben
Hugh T. McKibben is a retired farmer living on his seventy-five-acre farm on section 26, Mississinawa township. The competence which enables him to rest from his labors was acquired by active toil in former years. He was born in Clermont county, Ohio, December 27, 1826, and his grandfather, Hugh McKibben, was one of the pioneers of that locality, to which he removed from his former home in Pennsylvania. His wife was Susanna Hughes, and they became the parents of thirteen children, six of whom reached adult age and were married. Of the family, however, William and Wesley died in early life. Three sons reached mature years, and Hugh and Joseph died in Illinois, while Samuel Parker McKibben died in Kentucky.
John A. McKibben, the father of our subject, was born in Clermont county, Ohio, June 13, 1802, and was reared amidst the wild scenes of the frontier. After he had attained to man's estate he married Jemima Pigman, who was born in Greenbrier county, Virginia. They were married about 1821, and became the parents of six children, five sons and one daughter, all of whom were born in Clermont county. One son, Harrison, died in that county, at the age of eight years. On the 15th of September, 1839, the family arrived in Darke county, and the father purchased a quarter-section of land about two miles from the present home of our subject. In the midst of the forest he cleared and developed a farm, the timber being so dense that he had to cut away the trees in order to erect his log cabin, which was built of round logs, while the roof was made of boards cut from a large red oak tree which stood on the site of the cabin. The floor above also was made of red oak, while the lower floor was made of puncheons. The father, with the aid of his sons, cleared the greater part of the land, and there he made his home for eighteen years. But about 1857 he went to live with his son Hugh, and his death occurred in 1881, when he had reached the age of seventy-nine years, his remains being interred at Rose Hill. His widow was called away about four years later, when eighty-four years of age. Of their children we observe: Joshua R., who was born in 1821, followed carpentering and died in Indianapolis, Indiana, about 1877, being survived by his widow; Levi P. was born in 1824, and died in Rossville in 1895, when about seventy-one years of age; his only child, a daughter, is also deceased; Hugh T. is the third of the family; Joseph H. was the next youngest and died in childhood; Susanna Jane died when about twenty-one years of age; and William W. was born in 1834, was a farmer and is now living in Knobnoster, Missouri, his family consisting of four children, of whom two sons and a daughter are now living. The educational advantages which Hugh H. McKibben enjoyed were limited. He pursued his studies in a log schoolhouse, sixteen by sixteen feet, with puncheon seats and floors. His Draining at farm labor, however, was not meager, and he remained at home until twenty-four years of age, when he was married to Mary Nesmonger, who was born in Montgomery county. Ohio, in 1827. They took up their abode in the midst of the forest and the farm upon which Mr. McKibben resides has been cleared almost entirely by his own efforts. For forty-six consecutive years he aided in building houses and barns, attending all the log-rollings, and was thus an active factor in the development of this portion of the county. He always enjoyed good health, being never ill except on one occasion, when he suffered an attack of sickness lasting thirteen days. His life has been one of marked industry, bringing to him creditable and desirable prosperity. Eight children were born unto Mr. and Mrs. McKibben. Amanda, the eldest, became the wife of William Funke, and after his death married Jacob Seacrist, of Darke county; he has one living child by the first marriage ; Mary A. is the wife of George Brooks, a farmer of Jackson township, and they have five sons and four daughters, and have lost two other children; Hiram A., a farmer residing five miles from Arcanum, is married and has three sons and one daughter yet living; Sarah J. is the wife of Gottlieb Coupp, and they have two children living. Albert J. is married and has five sons and three daughters; Irving Grant manages the home farm and has four daughters; Elmer Elsworth, twin brother of Irving, resides in Jackson township and has one son and one daughter; and Dora Ellen is the wife of William Stauffer, of Union City, Indiana," and they have a son and daughter. Mr. McKibben has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church for fifty-seven years, and the house of worship is located on his farm. His wife and most of the children are also members of the same church and the family is one of the highest respectability, enjoying the warm regard of many friends in the community. ["A Biographical History of Darke County, Ohio: Compendium of National Biography"
By Lewis Publishing Company, 1900]
James K. Parker
The subject of this sketch was born September 22, 1817, the first of eight children. His educational advantages were above the average of his time. Boys from that log schoolhouse have since become eminent as teachers, ministers, lawyers, statesmen, poets, and teachers.
Professor Parker frequently spoke of the impressions made on him when but eight years of age, by a noble young lady then his teacher. His mother, an educated lady from the State of Maine , and a teacher of experience supplemented the school room work.
In 1834, when but seventeen years of age, with the consent of his parents, he became private tutor in the family of a gentleman living in the Ohio valley some twelve miles above the Parker home. For the three months" service he received thirty dollars and board. This money, with five dollars sent him by his father and fifteen dollars earned in the cooper shop during recreation hours while at college, paid all expenses during five months spent at Hanover College , Hanover , Indiana , including deck passage both ways on a steamboat, and left a whole dollar in his pocket on reaching home. More teaching, more selfdenial, more college training, until 1839, when he entered upon what proved to be an unusually long and useful career, in a number of cases educating three generations in one family.
Being a born Yankee, the school furniture he made was comfortable and convenient. Throughout his career as a teacher when apparatus was needed that he could not buy he often made it.
Modest and unassuming he constantly sought to improve himself, and delighted in the companionship of the learned about him. At the founding of Clermont Academy he entered an organization known as "The College of Teachers." From a bound volume of the Western Academician, their official organ. 1838, we find that the young principal assoc1ated with such men as the Picketts, B. P. Aydelott, Alexander Campbell, Calvin E. Stowe. and Joseph Kay. With some of these Professor Parker was on very intimate terms. He and Dr. Ray had many consultations as to the arrangement of the latter's system of mathematics. However, Parker's modesty never permitted him to speak of anything save benefit received.
I have tried to decide in what branch he was most proficient, but cannot. His success as an instructor in natural philosophy was remarkable, his profound knowledge of the various departments of science, his skill as an experimenter, his inspiring way of teaching language, and the ability of putting his own enthusiastic love of knowledge into the hearts of his pupils, made him as one among a thousand. Being a true Christian, the spiritual and moral interests were not neglected. He loved his pupils and that love was returned. We are all mourners to-day. Without endowment, save the rich hearts of his teachers, many a poor boy, without means with which to pay his way, will drop a tear in memory of his benefactor.
Work was not confined to his own schoolroom. He had no place for selfishness or jealousy. He may truly be called the father of the "Clermont County Teachers' Institute." At his suggestion it was organized in 1848, and under his watchful care it lived. For years he would load a wagon with apparatus to be used and accompanied by his wife would go to the place where the Institute was to be held. It was he, who, going early in the morning to the place of meeting, would set up the clock he had taken, sweep out, dust furniture and ring the bell for the younger teachers, whom he was to instruct and who would enjoy the tidy appearance without knowing whose work it was. During those early years he asked no remuneration and received none. He had his reward, however, by seeing such an improvement in Clermont teachers that there were heavy draughts made on their ranks for men and women fitted to fill places of trust and honor and the improvement of the schools of the county. Many of these teachers were his own intellectual children.
Each of the other professions has been honored by Clermont Academy students. For years, the only county building at Batavia without a sample of this man's work, was the jail. That which was most prominent in Professor Parker was his conscience. An old steamboat captain, who made men his study, years ago said to the writer: "I never knew but one man who lived up to his conscience, and that was Teacher Parker." J. H. Baker. [Source: Educational History of Ohio by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - Submitted by Linda Rodriguez]
John Reece, a farmer and stock raiser of Riley township, was born in Clermont county, Ohio, January 24, 1825, and is a son of John and a grandson of John Reece. The grandfather was born, reared and married in Pennsylvania, Miss Susan Moredock becoming his wife, and she was also a native of the Keystone state. They became the parents of nine children, four sons and five daughters. In an early day in its history John Reece, Sr., moved with his family to Ohio, and settled on a farm in Clermont county, where he followed his trade of wagon making. In his later life he came to Indiana, and entering land in Clay county he spent the remainder of his life there. His political affiliations were with the Democracy.
John Reece, his son and namesake, and his third child and eldest son, was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, in January, 1796, and from his native state he went with his parents to Clermont county, Ohio, and thence in 1835 to Clay county, Indiana, where he entered three hundred and twenty acres of land. In time he cleared the most of his land and developed it into a beautiful homestead, dying there at the advanced age of eighty-one years. He was married in Clermont county, Ohio, to one of the state's native daughters, Nancy Lindsay, born in February, 1803, and they became the parents of nine children, four sons and five daughters.
John Reece, Jr., the eldest of the nine children, was a boy of eleven years when his parents moved from Ohio to Clay county, Indiana, and in its public schools he completed his education. In the spring of 1850 he came to Vigo county, and in Riley township purchased a farm of six hundred and sixty acres, of which he cleared about three hundred acres. He resided there until his removal in 1883 to his present farm of eighty acres, which he has brought to a high state of cultivation, and on this valuable little estate he has one oil well.
On the 11th of May, 1845, Mr. Reece married Nancy Ferrell, who was born and reared in Vigo county, and. their three children, two sons and a daughter, are all deceased, as is also the wife and mother, who died January 25, 1850. In October, 1852, Mr. Reece wedded Elizabeth Jane (Gummery) Mason, the widow of John Mason, who served as a soldier in the Mexican war. She was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, but was reared in Clay county, Indiana, and became the mother of three children, two daughters and a son, but one of the number is now deceased. Mrs. Reece died October 16, 1868, and on the 24th of May, 1869, he married Emilie C. (Gomery) Webster, the widow of Joe Webster, of Clay county. and of their two sons one is now deceased. The mother died in March of 1873, and on the 3Oth of January, 1875, Susan (Grey) Hickson, the widow of David Hickson, of Vigo county, became his wife. Of the two daughters born of the last marriage one is now deceased. Mr. Reece has been a life-long Democrat, and since 1869 has had membership relations with the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Lodge No. 390, at Riley, Indiana. [Greater Terre Haute and Vigo County: Closing the First Century's History of City and County", Vol. 2; By Charles Cochran Oakey, 1908]
Charles C. Rogers
Charles C. Rogers, one of the representative farmers of Wabash township, Darke county, Ohio, was born in Missouri, February 13, 1842, but was reared in Clermont county, Ohio. His father, Jacob Rogers, whose birth occurred in New Jersey, December 19, 1808, and who represented one of the old American families, in early life followed the shoe-making trade and afterward engaged in farming, with good success. He removed from Missouri to Ohio, and for some time resided in Montgomery and Clermont counties, but his last days were spent in Indiana, where he died in October, 1893. He was an upright and honorable man, who never had a lawsuit of any kind. He married Miss Mary Ann Turton, of Maryland, and to them were born nine children, five of whom are still living and have families numbering from three to six children. Mrs. Rogers was a life-long member of the Methodist church and when past the age of forty years her husband also became a devout member of that denomination. She very carefully reared her children, instilling into their minds lessons of industry and morality, which aided in shaping their careers, making them noble men and women. She died about eleven years prior to the death of her husband, being called to her final rest in October, 1882, when seventy-two years of age. The remains of both were interred in the Salem cemetery in Montgomery county, Ohio. Not being fond of study in his childhood Charles C. Rogers obtained a rather meager common school education, but his training at farm labor, however, was not limited, for he assisted in the cultivation of the fields of the old homestead until his marriage, which occurred November 21, 1863, when Miss Mary Catherine Fauber became his wife. She was an adopted daughter of John Armstrong, with whom she lived till her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers became the parents of three children: Elmer Clinton, a merchant of New Weston, whose sketch appears below; Georgianna, wife of Lewis A. Davis, a furniture dealer at New Weston, Ohio; and Roscoe Roy, who is in his brother's store in New Weston. He is married and has a daughter. Mr. Rogers has given his children good educational advantages, and the older son, who has made splendid use of his opportunities, has been of great assistance to his parents, manifesting most filial devotion and doing all in his power to promote the happiness and enhance the welfare of his parents.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Rogers began their domestic life in rather limited circumstances on a farm in Clermont county, Ohio, but subsequently spent one year near Mattoon, Illinois, after which they returned to Ohio, settling in Montgomery county. In 1883 they removed to Mercer county, where seven years were passed; the following two years were spent in North Star, Darke county, Ohio; five years in Jefferson county, Indiana, and two years in New Weston, Darke county, Ohio, where the father engaged in merchandising, having followed the same pursuit in North Star. In 1899 he located on his present farm of eighty acres in Allen township, Darke county, and is now devoting his energies to agricultural pursuits. There is a pleasant brick residence upon the place, a good barn and tobacco sheds; in fact it is a well improved and most desirable farm. Mr. Rogers rents most of his land, tilling only a small portion, for his own pleasure and health. In politics he is independent, supporting the men whom he believes best qualified to fill the offices, regardless of party lines. He commands the confidence and respect of all with whom he comes in contact and is held in high regard wherever known. ["A Biographical History of Darke County, Ohio: Compendium of National Biography", 1900, Lewis Publishing Company]
Elmer Clinton Rogers
Among the enterprising and progressive business men of Darke county is the subject of this review, who is now successfully engaged in general merchandising at New Weston. He was born in Clermont county, Ohio, August 14, 1864, and is a son of Charles C. Rogers, a well-known farmer of Allen township, Darke county.
During his boyhood our subject attended the country schools of Montgomery county, and in the winter of 1883-4 he commenced teaching, which profession he successfully followed for seven years. On the 5th, of September, 1886. he led to the marriage altar Miss lora P. Gower, a daughter of J. S. and Louisa (Hartsell) Gower, all natives of Darke county. Her parents were well-known farmers of Wabash township. Of their six children only two are now living: Mrs. Rogers, and Hattie, the wife of G. W. Arnold. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Rogers were: Orlando, who died in infancy; Ethel Cleora, who died at the age of two years and a half; Nolah Fern, born July 4, 1892; Ernest R., born November 12, 1894, and Homer Lee, born August 29, 1898.
Mr. Rogers began merchandising with his father at North Star, in February, 1891, under the firm name of Rogers & Son, but two years later he bought his father's farm in Mercer county, and for three years turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. Our subject then embarked in general merchandising, at Eldorado, Preble county, Ohio, where he carried on business for two years, and in May, 1897, came to New Weston, where he has built up a large and constantly increasing trade. In 1899 he erected the substantial brick building he now occupies, and he carries a large and well selected stock of general merchandise to meet the demands of his customers. He sold out the hardware branch of his business in September, 1899. Mr. Rogers possesses the necessary qualifications of successful business men, being industrious, enterprising and energetic, as well as a most pleasing and genial gentleman, upright and honorable in all his dealings. Politically he is a Democrat and has served as township treasurer in Wabash and Allen townships. Religiously both he and his wife are members of the New Light church and socially he is a member of the Knights of Pythias. ["A Biographical History of Darke County, Ohio: Compendium of National Biography", 1900, Lewis Publishing Company]
William F. Shriver
William F. Shriver, conducting a merchant clothing establishment at Eureka, was born in Felicity, Clermont County, Ohio, May 9, 1868, a son of William F. and Elizabeth (Larkin) Shriver. The father was a clothing merchant of that place and in 1871 he removed to Pittsfield, Pike county, Illinois, where his son, William F. acquired his education and received his business training in his father's clothing store. When nineteen years of age William F. Shriver went to Topeka, Kansas, where he again engaged in clerking in a clothing store for a time and afterward removed to Salt Lake City. He was there employed in the engineering department of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad and subsequently was connected with the Utah, Nevada & California Railroad. He next went to Nephi, Utah, where for a year he engaged in the clothing business, and in the fall of 1891 he took up his abode in Eureka, where he has since conducted a men's clothing and furnishing goods store. In 1893 his establishment was destroyed by fire and he suffered a heavy loss, but with undaunted courage he set to work to rebuild his scattered fortunes and was soon again launched in a successful business. In 1910 he removed to a new store and has since remained at his present location. In connection with P. J. Fennell he built a modern brick business block, sixty-one by seventy-five feet, each now occupying one-half of the store. He carries an extensive line of clothing and men's furnishings, his stock being valued at $30,000, while his annual sales amount to $100,000. He is one of the oldest, most reliable and most progressive business men of Eureka and in connection with his mercantile interests he is the secretary of the Zuma Mining Company.
In 1891 Mr. Shriver was married to Miss Blanche M. Ege, of Topeka, Kansas, who was born at Junction City, Kansas, a daughter of George A. Ege, who for years was employed in the general offices of the Santa Fe Railroad at Topeka. Mr. and Mrs. Shriver have become the parents of four children. Harold was a second lieutenant in the aviation branch of the United States army and is now secretary of the American Legion post at Eureka. He enlisted on the 8th of May, 1917, and entered the officers' training school at Plattsburg, New York. On the 8th of September of the same year he was transferred to the aviation branch of the service and sent to the ground school in connection with the University of Texas at Austin, where he spent two months. At the end of that time he was sent to Garden City and subsequently sailed overseas on the 23d of November, 1917, landing at Liverpool. A week was spent in England and he then crossed to France, where he attended the French flying schools for instruction in advanced flying. He next went to the combat school of the American Expeditionary Forces for the training of staff pilots and the instruction of observers, some days making as many as ten flights. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in France and left that country on the 22d of February, 1919, being discharged at Garden City, New York, on the 28th of March. He is now with his father in the store at Eureka. Melvin was in the first draft and took the first quota of drafted men from Juab county to Camp Lewis in August, 1917. He was connected with the infantry branch of the army there until January, 1918, when he was recommended for the officers' training camp and was graduated therefrom, being commissioned a second lieutenant. He was then sent to Camp Lee, where he trained rookies until discharged in January, 1919. Edward became a member of the Student Army Training Corps at the Stanford University of California, where he is now completing a business course. Melvin is a student in the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia, completing the work in the Wharton School of Finance. Helen is now a freshman in the Stanford University of California. The son, Harold, is a graduate of the Stanford University, where he completed an electrical engineering course, and he was employed by the General Electric Company at Pittsfield. Mass., at the time he enlisted in the army.
Mr. Shriver is a prominent figure in fraternal circles, being a past exalted ruler of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, a past grand in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also a member of the Woodmen of the World and the Modern Woodmen of America. He was a delegate to the national convention of the Elks at Rochester, New York, in 1916 and the same year took a trip to New York city and other eastern points. He has been quite prominent in the public life of his community, served for one term as a member of the city council and was the first treasurer of Eureka. He was also on the school board for several terms and was treasurer of the building committee that erected the first brick schoolhouse in Eureka. In the fall of 1919 he acted as chairman of the organization that put a citizens ticket in the field and elected the full ticket, determined to secure for Eureka a businesslike administration of municipal affairs free from political bias. He cooperates heartily in all those activities and forces which make for general welfare and for progress and improvement in the public life of the community, and at the same time he is a most alert and progressive business man whose close application and unfaltering enterprise have made him one of the representative merchants of his adopted city. [Source: Utah since Statehood: Historical and Biographical Volume 2; By Noble Warrum; Publ. 1919; Transcribed by Denise Moreau]
David Smith, farmer, Sec. 31 ; P.O. Union City. The subject of this sketch was born in Clermont County, Ohio, April 8,1809 ; he followed milling for about eight years before coming to this county, Oct. 3, 1847, since which time he has devoted his attention principally to agriculture. He was married Dec. 27, 1827, in Clermont County, to Julia A. Riley ; she was born in New Jersey ; the fruit of this union has been nine children, viz., Peter, Simon, Levi, Elisha B., John Z., James, Phoebe, Elizabeth A. and Eliza O. Mr. Smith held the office of Township Treasurer for the remarkable period of twenty-two years in succession, and has had a surfeit of minor offices. He has a fine farm of 80 acres. ["The History of Darke County, Ohio: containing a history of the county..."; W.H. Beers & Co, 1880]
Benjamin O. Hamilton
Benjamin O. Hamilton, contractor and builder of Galveston, was born in Troy, Miami county, Ohio, October 2, 1824, being a son of Isaac and Sylvia Russell Hamilton, natives of Virginia and Massachusetts respectively. His father was a steamboat pilot, running for many years on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers until his death, of yellow fever, at Vicksburg, in 1840. Isaac Hamilton was a son of James Hamilton, a native of Scotland, who emigrated to American in Colonial times.
Benjamin O. Hamilton was the youngest of a family of five children. He was reared in Cincinnati, Ohio, where his parents settled during his infancy, and at the age of fourteen was apprenticed to the carpenters trade under his eldest brother, Russell C, which trade he followed at Cincinnati and in that vicinity for several years.
In 1852, while in Newport, Kentucky (across the river from Cincinnati), Mr. Hamilton was introduced to General Sidney Sherman, who at that time was on a trip in the East in the interest of the newly projected Texas railway, the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado rivers road, and was induced by that gentleman to come out and take charge of the construction of the bridges, water tanks and depots along the line of the road. Mr. Hamilton arrived in Galveston October 26, 1852, and for two years following was employed as superintendent of bridges and buildings on the above mentioned railway, during which time, and until General Sherman's death, his relations with that gentleman were of the most cordial nature. Mr. Hamilton spent the winter of 1854-5 engaged in repairing steamboats for Captain J. H. Sterrett, who then owned and operated a line of vessels on the bay and Buffalo bayou. He later entered the employ of Lieutenant W. H. Stephens, inspector of lighthouses on the Texas coast, and for five years was engaged in building and repairing lighthouses, erecting during that time the lighthouses at Sabine, Aransas Pass, Pass Cavalla, Corpus Christi, and two screw-pile lighthouses on Matagorda bay; was in lighthouse employ from 1855 to 1S60, then began contracting.
In 1855 Mr. Hamilton settled permanently in Galveston and took up the business of general contracting and building, at which he had made a promising start when the war came and put an end to all kinds of building enterprises. He volunteered in the Confederate army and was placed in the J marine department, where he was assigned to detail duty in repairing and reconstructing merchant vessels, rendering them suitable for the defense of the Texas coast. He served at this with greater or less regularity until the close of hostilities, when he resumed operations as a builder and contractor, which he has followed without interruption and with a fair measure of success since that time. In the twenty-nine years that Mr. Hamilton has been engaged in contracting and building in Galveston since the war, he has done a vast deal for the building interests of the city, evidences of his activity and workmanship existing on every hand, were it necessary or in keeping with the character and purpose of this article to cite them. With an adequate knowledge of his business, and an honest desire to meet every obligation, whether included in the "specifications" or not, he has established himself in the confidence and good will of the people of Galveston in such a way as to need no factitious introduction from others.
On January 23, 1851, Mr. Hamilton married Miss Abia A. Moore, of Cincinnati, Ohio, and the issue of this union has been three daughters and two sons, four of whom, —Ella, wife of J. H. Fletcher, of Houston; Jessie N., wife of A. H. Meier, of Cincinnati, Ohio; Walter S. and Benjamin O., Jr., of Galveston,—are living, and one,— Fannie,—deceased.
Mr. Hamilton is a prominent Mason, having taken all the degrees in the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, up to and including the thirty-second. He also has the Chapter degrees; is Past Master of Harmon Lodge, No. 6, F. & A. M.; Past High Priest of San Felipe de Austin Chapter, R. A. M.; Past Venerable Master of Lodge of Perfection, Scottish Rite, No. 1, and Past Wise Master of L. M. Oppenheimer Chapter Rose Croix, No. 2. He has always taken great interest in Masonic matters, and having learned the work thoroughly in the beginning, has been very helpful to beginners. [History of Texas, together with a biographical history of the cities of Houston and Galveston, etc., Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1895. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails staff]