AGRICULTURAL SOCIETIES OF THE COUNTY
About 1846 there were many evidences of progress and increasing interest in agricultural life which excited the most cheering hopes of a future advance of the people of Clermont in this most important branch of industry. There was awakened among the farming population a sense of their paramount importance to the State, and how much more important they might become by the intelligent and more energetic exercise of their time-honored avocation. The chain which had bound many of the people to old usages---good in their day, before other material resources were so rapidly developed---had become partially broken, and they began to realize that if they would keep pace with other industries in an emphatic age of improvement they must exercise, individually and as masses, constant skill and intelligence in their most useful calling.
The passage of the laws of 1846 and 1847---the former organizing a State board of agriculture, and directing the mode of effecting county organizations, and the latter intending to provide a permanent agricultural fund---gave the people the evidence that their representatives deemed it important to their individual interest and the interest of the State that they should combine their energies and cultivate their intellects in order to advance and elevate the great cause of agriculture to its true position. There is no truth more universally admitted, and no fact more self-evident, than that where a great diversity exists in the industrial pursuits of a people like the community of Clermont, and the agricultural is the predominant interest, all others must depend for their prosperity and success upon the prosperous condition and continued advancement of that predominant interest. Its misfortunes are felt, in their depressing influences, upon all other branches of business, and its prosperity is equally perceptible in the vigorous activity given to the varied occupations of society; and thus is given a rapid increase of the wealth and power of the State.
FRANKLIN AGRICULTURAL AND HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
In 1846 the good farmers of Monroe township---men who had read with care for years the Ohio Cultivator or the Genesee Farmer, and who believed the time had come for the philanthropist and statesman to fix the standard of worth high in the intellectual and moral temple of fame, to fix the taste and elevate farming, the first, greatest, and noblest of all pursuits, and thereby have the proud satisfaction of starting his race onward and upward to that high destiny in reservation for yet purer and nobler intelligences---organized The Franklin Agricultural and Horticultural Society, the name being taken from that old and time-honored locality of the township so noted in the intellectual annals of the county, and where most of the organizers resided. The officers for the first year were James Ferguson, President; Charles Robb, Secretary; George J. Nichols, Treasurer; with an Executive Committee of Thomas Donaldson, J.K. Parker, and John A. Simmons. In its first year it boasted of fifty-six members, maintained an independent fair, levied no assessments, drew no county funds, paid no premiums in money, but made its certificate of merit suffice. The exhibition of farm- and garden-products held that year was the first in the county, and was the occasion of much interest. The beginning, though humble, served as the foundation for other agricultural societies, which would spring up and advance the growing interests which in a measure had been dormant for many years. The members of the society were encouraged to believe, from the success which attended their efforts, that the time for planting and sowing "by the signs" and "the right time of the moon" had gone by, and should give place to knowledge based on sciences, which would enable them to transform some farms from comparative wastes to most fruitful spots. They concluded that ignorance, bad tillage, and bad government tended to give supremacy to an element which would ruin any country, and to counteract these effects the people must be continually educated by some such means as they had so auspiciously established.
In 1847 the officers of the society were George J. Nichols, President; Charles Robb, Secretary; and its second exhibition was a marked improvement over the previous year, with increased attendance. There had also, by its general influences, been created a gradual advance in agriculture and education; the public mind was getting aroused, and the diffusion of knowledge by means of books, papers, lyceums, and lectures was lifting people up and out of the old ruts of stagnation that had too long prevailed.
In 1848 its officers were William H. Ferguson, President; Dr. A.V. Hopkins, Vice-President; John Hancock, Secretary; Jeptha Jones, Treasurer; Francis Ferguson, R.H. Archard, and William Cook, Board of Managers.
In 1849 its officers were Charles Robb, President; George J. Nichols, Vice-President; John Hancock, Secretary; Jeptha Jones, Treasurer; Francis Ferguson, O.N. Browning, and W.J. Nichols, Board of Managers. This was the last year of its existence as a separate society, it being merged into The Clermont County Agricultural Society, which nearly all its old members joined, and in which they took a very big part. The first general law in Ohio for the encouragement of agriculture was the act of the General Assembly passed Feb. 27, 1846, appointing a State board of agriculture and encouraging the formation of "county societies", which was followed by the laws enacted Feb, 8, 1847, and of Feb. 18, 1848, under which a regularly organized county agricultural society could draw annually a certain sum from the agricultural fund collected from diverse sources, and which has been gradually augmenting until at present it amounts to about one hundred and seventy-five dollars in Clermont County.
To avail themselves of the above provision of the laws, the farmers organized themselves into the foregoing society, June 9, 1849, and elected, as the first officers, Thomas L. Shields, President; Philip B. Swing, Treasurer. By the time the first fair was held, Sept. 28, 1849, on the grounds of Dr. Pinkham, near Bantam, one hundred and ten members had been enrolled, and on the day of the fair, contrary to the expectations of some, a large crowd assembled, not less than two thousand persons. The exhibition was quite a respectable one, and a great deal of enthusiasm prevailed and was well sustained throughout the two days devoted to it. Among the members were a number of young farmers who had devoted much time to the study of agricultural chemistry and its kindred sciences, and who were determined that the fair should have a grand future. The receipts and expenditures for the year were:
|Amount received from one hundred and ten members||
|(being their subscription at one dollar each)|
|Amount received from County Treasurer||
|Total amount received||
|Paid out in premiums||
|Paid the secretary||
|Balance on hand||
For the year 1850 the officers were: President, Samuel R.S. West, of Olive Branch; Vice-President, Thomas Hitch, of Bantam; Secretary, John Hancock, of New Richmond; Treasurer, L.D. Salt, of Williamsburgh; Board of Managers, John Page, Emor Johnson, B.W. Pease, Aaron Fagin, and Charles Robb.
The rules and regulations adopted a year previous (June 9, 1849) provided that the officers should consist of a president, vice-president, treasurer, secretary, and five managers, who, together, constituted a board of directors, for the general management of the affairs of the society, and who should be elected annually by its members, and hold their offices until their successors were appointed. The members had to be residents of the county and to pay to the treasurer the sum of one dollar annually. Competitors for the premiums had to be members, and it was required that a list of the articles for premiums should be published in a newspaper or hand-bills at least one month previous to the day of exhibition. All articles offered for premiums had to be owned by the persons offering the same, or by members of their families, and products of the soil or manufactured articles had to be produced or manufactured within the county. Provisions were made for awarding committees of three persons each, to be yearly appointed, for judging the different classes of articles put in competition and awarding the premiums for the same. Competitors for premiums on crops and other improvements were required to comply with the law in furnishing full and correct statements of the process and expense of culture and production, etc., and to have the ground and its produce accurately measured by not less than two disinterested persons, whose statements were to be verified by affidavits. Premiums were not awarded on grain- and grass-crops for less than one acre, or on root-crops for less than one-fourth acre, and the whole quantity produced on the amount of land specified had to be measured or weighed, ---root-crops by weight (divested of the tops), sixty pounds to the bushel, and grain-crops according to the usual standards; and the directors had to make rules as to other crops and productions. The annual exhibition had to be held between the first days of September and November, but the premiums on crops could be awarded at a later period if found necessary.
The second annual fair of this society was held at "Slade's Tavern", on the Ohio turnpike, on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 27 and 28, 1850. The first day was devoted to the exhibition of live-stock and farm-wagons. The exhibition of horses and horned cattle was a fine one, superior to any ever had in the county; excelling, in the opinion of competent judges, its exhibition of the previous year by fifty per cent. The number of fine short-horns exhibited was especially gratifying to those who took an interest in improvement in that kind of stock, and the show of horses was grand. The second day's exhibition was the most attractive, and the show of fine fruit was hard to excel; the array of specimens of vegetables was imposing, and the handiwork of the ladies---the first ever exhibited in Clermont---elegant and beautiful. The number of articles entered were double the previous year, and many beautiful bouquets of flowers lent interest to the tables. The number in attendance on this day was over five thousand people, being one of the largest gatherings ever seen in Clermont.
The following were the premiums awarded: Honey, first, W.P. Fishback. Butter, cheese: first, Mrs. Dr. McCall. Farming implements: best plow, Jones & Wilmington; best grain-cradle, W.P. Thornton; best cultivator, Amer Talley; best top-buggy, P.S. Jones; best buggy without top, D.C. Tice; second best, W.P. Thornton. Manufactured articles: best barrel flour, L.C. Moore; best hat, John Dimmitt; best variety of woolen rolls, J.E. Offutt; best variety of stocking-yarn, Miss Hannah Simmons; best hose and mitts for children, Miss M.E. Salt; best blankets, Mrs. M. Spahr; best coverlet, Mrs. N.A. Hitch; second Joseph Hammond; best merino wool hose, Mrs Dr. McCall; best Saxony wool-yarn, same; best variety rug-yarn, same; best quilt, Mrs. E.P. Winans; second, Miss H. Manker; best counterpane, Miss S. Tate; second, Mrs. John Salt; best shell-work, Mrs. Warren Pease; best wax-work, Miss E. West; best hearth-rug, Mrs. S.G. Clark; second, Mrs. Dr. McCall; best rag hearth-rug, Miss R. Page; best bead bag, Miss M. Butler; second, Miss D. Hodges; two fine ottomans, Miss Eliza Wilson; best worsted picture, Mrs. M. Clark; second, Mrs. Warren Pease; best lace crape, Mrs. Dr. Rogers; best candle stand mat, Mrs. A, Lane; best toilet cushion, Mrs. A.P. Nicholson; best card basket, Miss E.H. Donaldson; second, Miss A. Donaldson; best stand cover, Mrs. Thomas Donaldson; second, Miss Rebecca Page; best Catawba wine, John Williamson.
Non-enumerated articles: best corn brooms, William Gray; second, S. Cordry; best kip boots, Thomas V. Cazel; best variety cutlery, John Donnel; best churn, J.D. Ackley; second, Walter Butler. Fruits---Apples: first, G. Ulrey; second, Thomas Donaldson. Peaches: first, R. Neale; second, Alexander Smith. Figs: first, B.H. Simmons. Grapes: first, John Williamson; second, Alexander Smith. Quinces: first, Walter Butler; second, Robert Neale. Pears: first, Robert Neale. Grain and vegetables: best beets, Wiltshire Salt; pumpkins, Jacob Dair; second, E.S. Harden; seedling potatoes, George Fisher.
Certificates were awarded on the following: Best yellow corn, Samuel Iden; second, L.R. Leeds; white corn, James Fagin; popcorn, W.P. Thornton; China wheat, Thomas Donaldson; best variety of millet, John Salt; potatoes, E.S. Harden; second, Robert Kyle; sweet potatoes, Wiltshire Salt; mammoth sturbling, E.Hodges; mammoth gourd, Samuel Simpson; onions, John Nichols; cucumbers, L.R. Leeds; watermelons, same; tomatoes, E.S. Harden; second, A. Coombs; best peppers, C.B. Huber. Flowers.--- Coxcomb and varieties, Mrs. John Page; best choice flowers, Mrs. S.G. Clarke; second best, Mrs. Johnston; best variety of verbenas, Mrs. S.G. Clarke; best variety of China asters, Mrs. House; second best, Mrs. Thomas Donaldson; and a fine century plant, Mrs. S.R.S. West.
Thus closed the second fair of this society, which greatly promoted the public taste, and exceeded the anticipations of its managers.
The following is a list of officers of the society from 1851 to 1856:
1851.---President, Samuel R.S. West; Vice-President, John Ferguson; Secretary, John Hancock; Treasurer, L.D. Salt; Managers, Aaron D. Fagin, John Page, Robert Kyle, John H. Branch, and Lindsey C. Moore.
1852,---President, S.R.S. West; Vice-President, John Ferguson; Secretary, Andrew Coombs; Treasurer, L.D. Salt; Managers, John H. Branch, Robert Kyle, Jr., Daniel Roudebush, Jonathan R. Corbly, A.D. Fagin. Fair held this year on Slade's ground, near Bantam.
1853.---President, John Ferguson; Vice-President, John H. Branch; Secretary, J.M. McGrew; Treasurer, L.D. Salt; Managers, Daniel Roudebush, Aaron D. Fagin, Thomas Hitch, Henry G. Hammond, and Alexander Smith.
1854.---President, S.R.S. West; Vice-President, Thomas Hitch; Secretary, F. Donaldson; Treasurer, James McMurchey; Managers, Elbridge G. Ricker, L.D. Salt, John H. Branch, Henry G. Hammond, and Moss Titus.
1855.---President, Aaron D, Fagin; Vice-President, Thomas Donaldson; Secretary, Charles Robb; Treasurer, James McMurchy; Managers, Benjamin Archer, John H. Branch, Elisha Emery, Shadrach Dial, and Richard Pemberton.
1856.---President, John H. Branch; Vice-President, John Shaw; Secretary, William Donaldson; Treasurer, James McMurchy; Managers, Richard Pemberton, John M. Hutchinson, Joseph McConnell, George S, Swing, and Edward W. Salt.
This year there was a division of the members composing the Clermont County Agricultural Society, the board of management---save one manager, Mr. Pemberton---moving the fair to Olive Branch, where it was held on September 16th and 19th; and its action being sustained by a majority of the justly-constituted authorities of the society, this society was recognized by the State board and civil authorities as the regular fair, and has been from that time to the present. The division was unfortunate, and led to bitter animosities, now happily ended.
The society had on March 11, 1853, bought of John Slade, near Bantam, five and one half acres and taken a deed for same, made to Daniel Roudebush, Alex. Smith, A.D. Fagin, Thomas Hitch, H.G. Hammond, its managers, and there was some squabble in the controversy over this and its property but the differences were finally settled, and The Clermont County Agricultural Society near Bantam was organized. In 1857 the society, in order to form a more perfect union and concert of action among the agriculturalists and mechanics of the county, revised and amended its rules adopted on June 9, 1849, by a new constitution, made on January 3rd, and made Olive Branch the site for future exhibitions, where it leased for five years splendid grounds of Major Samuel R.S. West.
Officers for this year: President, John H. Branch; Vice-President, L.D. Salt; Secretary, William Donaldson; Treasurers, W.P. Fishback, H.N. Talley; Board of Managers, Joseph McConnell, Shadrach Dial, John Applegate, S.R.S. West, George S. Swing, E.G. Beck, Mott Titus, John Kugler, J.W. Sweeney, Dr. S. L'Hommedieu, James Crosson, and Jacob Ebersole. The last three resigned, and Fishback, the treasurer, also resigned, he was succeeded by Talley.
The first exhibition under the reorganization, and ninth one since it was first established, was held at Olive Branch on September 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th, with A.C. Glancey as chief marshal, and was a grand success in numbers, spirit, and the amount and quality of entries in the various departments.
The following were the executive committees:
On cattle, Joseph McConnell; horses, Shadrach Dial; hogs and sheep, John Applegate; poultry, S. R. S. West; mechanical department, George S. Swing and E. G. Beck; Floral Hall, Mott Titus; age of horses, Robert Kyle, T. K. Holleman, W. P. Linegar; to arrange Floral Hall, L. C. Moore, B. W. Pease, and T. V. Petticolas.
The following were the awarding committees:
Class A (1-3), John Burns, Emor Johnson, John Porter, Samuel Weaver, and Col. Bond; Class A (4-8), Stephen Mount, Elijah Brazier, William Fuller, John G. Buchanan, William Terwilliger; Class A (sweepstakes), O. T. Fishback, Darius Perin, William Edwards, Horatio Buckingham, Turpin Daughters.
Class B (horses), John Dimmitt, D. H. Lockwood, William Ulrey, Cryus McFarland, Peter Anderson; Class B (sweepstakes), David McAfee, Zachariah Kyle, Silas R. Hutchinson, Blair Jefferies, Jacob Ebersole.
Class C (jacks and mules), Emily Barber, Henry Beagle, George Wageman, George B. Harry, J. D. Hatfield; Class C (sweepstakes), Thomas Donaldson, N, B. Gatch, Elias Wood, James Sargent, Nathaniel Temple.
Class D (sheep), E. G. Ricker, Thomas Thompson, Elisha Emery, Joseph Kidd, Alfred E. Davis.
Class E (swine), William Curry, John Emery, Daniel Turner, James Tate, Decatur Wylie; Class E (sweepstakes), Andrew Beagle, Andrew Byrus, William Iden, Daniel Roberts, Robert Davison.
Class F (poultry), W. A. Townsley, H. V. Kerr, W. T. Rice, L. D. Manning, Dr. Thomas Brown.
Class G (farm implements), P. S. Jones, Charles S. Griffith, S. B. Sims, Alva Ward, John Page.
Class H (wheel-carriages), Solomon Beckitt, F. H. Allen, William Walker, Levi Wilmington, Levi R. White.
Class I (dairy and farm products), Mr. and Mrs. Mark Bucking ham, Mrs. N. Benedict, Mrs. George S. Swing, Mrs. John Applegate, Mrs. Nancy Huber, Mrs. Shadrach Dial, Mrs. George R. Wageman, Mrs. Thomas Thompson; Class I (flour, meals and meats), William Brunson, J. S. Dustin, H. Eveland, Samuel Perin, William Sturges.
Class J (grains and vegetables), John M. Sweeney, John Ramsey, S. L. Apple, John Holter, John Coulter.
Class K (fruits), J. H. Rice, Samuel Paxton, Jacob Ebersole, Thomas Donaldson, Davis Crane.
Class L (flowers), Mr. and Mrs. James McMurchy, Mrs. George W. Dennison, Mrs. Nancy Wayland, Mrs. Joseph Parrish, Mrs. S. Clarke, Mrs. P. B. Gatch, Mrs. J. H. Branch, Miss M. Paxton, Miss Lizzie McConnell, Miss Olivia Whitaker.
Class M (paintings and drawings), Miss Rebecca Gatch, Miss E. B. Fishback, Miss Carrie Hopkins, Mr. and Mrs. D. W. Stephens, Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Sloan, Mrs. John Lytle, Miss Carrie Thompson, Miss Louisa Whitaker, Miss C. Emery, Miss Emma Drake.
Class N (needle, shell, and wax work), Mrs. J. D. Morris, Mrs. W. C. Pinkham, Miss Bond, Miss Rebecca Hill, Miss Judith Peterson, Miss M. Wilson, Miss Wood, Miss Mary Curry, Miss Jane Bragg, Miss Mary Avey, Miss Emily Donaldson, Miss S. Pollard.
Class O (domestic and other manufactures), Mrs. F. T. Donaldson, Mrs. William Fuller, Mrs. Hetty Rice, Mrs. Philip Stewart, Mrs. David Cazel, Mrs. William Robinson, Mrs. Henry Beagle, Mrs. D. M. Dial.
Class P (leather and its manufactures), W. B. Pease, Lamanda Park, T. J. Cazel, Daniel Pompelly, Thomas M. Kennelly.
Class Q (gums), Caleb Williams, Moses Frybarger, Dowty Utter, Robert Jeffries, Gideon Witham.
Class R (miscellaneous and designs), Philip Stewart, J. W. Gest, James Crosson, John Johnston, John M. Robinson.
Class S (field crops), board of directors
Class T (farms), Dr. John P. Emery, S. R. S. West, Thomas Donaldson, George Duckwall, Robert Kyle, Josiah Higdon.
Non-enumerated articles in Floral Hall, Mrs. Ann Carpenter, Mrs. Jacob Dair, Mrs. M. Jamison, Mrs. M. B. Gatch, Mrs. John H. Branch; riding and driving, Thomas Parrish, Hanson L. Penn, Philip B. Swing, Randolph Shaw, Dr. P. B. Gatch, M. H. Davis, D. W. C. Loudon, J. P. Wilson, Samuel Edwards, William Long; plowing match, Edward Edwards, Joseph Avey, William S. Gatch, Robert Kyle, Jr., W. P. Claxton, Aaron Fagin, Col. William Ramsey; music, Miss Lizzie McConnell, Miss Sallie Dobbins, Mrs. W. C. Pinkham, Thomas M. Lewis, John C. Reakirt.
An able address was delivered by Judge Bellamy Storer, of Cincinnati. In November the following premiums on field-crops were awarded: For best five acres "white flint" wheat, thirty-one bushels per acre, D. M. Parker, ten dollars; for best acre Irish potatoes, two hundred and forty bushels per acre, F. & W. Donaldson, six dollars; for best one-seventh acre of field-beets, five hundred and ninety-five bushels per acre, same, three dollars, for best one-half acre Irish potatoes, two hundred and six bushels per acre, Thomas Donaldson, three dollars.
The following are the officers from 1858 to 1862:
1858 - President, John Kugler, of Milford; Vice -President, L. D. Salt, of Williamsburgh; Secretary, William Donaldson, of New Richmond; Treasurer, Mott Titus, of Batavia; Directors: E. G. Beck, New Richmond; John H. Branch, Branch Hill; William Ulrey, Boston; B. W. Pease, Amelia; George S. Swing, Perin's Mills; John Applegate, Goshen; Samuel Lane, Mount Carmel; Shadrach Dial, Amelia; S. R. S. Wet, Olive Branch; Marshal of the Fair, A. C. Glancey.
1859 - President, John Kugler; Vice-President, A. C. Glancey; Treasurer, J. S. Dustine; Secretary, Mott Titus; Managers, John Applegate, H. LO. Woodward, S. R. S. West., Cyrus McFarland, A. M. Gatch, B. W. Pease, Alfred Holter, William Donaldson, William Ulrey, W. C. Pinkham (to supply place of Applegate, resigned).
1860 - President, John Kugler; Vice-President, John Applegate; Secretary, William C. Pinkham; Treasurer, Jesse S. Dustin; Managers, William Donaldson, B. W. Pease, Robert Fuller, Cyrus McFarland, Augustus Oskamp, Daniel S. Smith, Mott Titus, David Meek, Abram Beatty.
1861 - President, John Kugler; Vice-President, John Applegate (who resigned, and Shadrach Dial was chosen); Secretary, W. C. Pinkham; Treasurer, G. W. Hulick; Managers Emor Johnson, Jacob Ebersole, William E. Mears, William Donaldson, Henry Hill, Ch. H. Brower, Otis Dudley, Jr., N. W. Jordan, Alfred Holter.
The fair was held on September 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th. B. W. Pease, A. H. Beatty, and John L. Weaver were elected managers in place of Jacob Ebersole, Otis Dudley, Jr., and N. W. Jordan, whose seats were declared vacant for non-attendance, and Betty declining, John Grant filled his place at the business and meetings of the board.
1862 - President, Shadrach Dial; Vice-President, William E. Mears; Secretary, G. W. Hulick; Treasurer, Jesse S. Dustin; Managers, B. W. Pease, F. J. Roudebush, Alfred Holter, John L. Weaver, A. M. Gatch, John Hall, A. H. Beatty, J. H. Sharp, P. S. Jones.
The fourteenth annual fair was held at the fairgrounds, near Olive Branch, on September 9th to 12th inclusive. Owing to the distracted condition of the country, the agricultural interests of the county had been materially affected, and especially so about the time of the fair, as a rebel raid was hourly expected on the border, the large army of Confederates under Gen. Kirby Smith lying just back of Covington, Ky., and menacing Cincinnati. Thus a combination of circumstances was produced that caused almost a failure of the exhibition, while the people, under these extraordinary circumstances, evinced a disposition to attend closely to their farm work, -- to growing large crops and storing their barns for the sole purpose of paying their debts and meeting war expenses and war taxes, neglecting the while to cultivate a generous competition in the best method of farming and the best quality of the product. The membership was two hundred and ninety-four; the failing off from previous years was owing to the war.
This year's exhibition showed that the raising of tobacco was becoming a most profitable business along the Ohio River hills, and the creeks thereof; that the quality of cattle was steadily improving in Clermont, and that considerable attention was being given to the raising of mules, some farmers giving their entire extra time to jacks and mules. The most beautiful feature of this fair was the interest given to the culture of flowers, and this year Floral Hall was richly decorated with them, natural and artificial, displaying a taste that had evidently grown up with agricultural associations of the county. Mrs. Frances D. Gage, of national fame as a speaker and writer, delivered an able address, which had a happy effect upon the mind of the ladies, and they learned many things about house-wifery which they never dreamed of before; while the "old farmers" had to acknowledge that they had not listened in vain to her suggestions on raising stock, etc.
In 1863 the officers were as follows: President, Shadrach Dial; Vice-President, William E. Mears; Secretary, Mahlon H. Medary; Treasurer, J. S. Dustin; Managers, William Edwards, John Hall, Benjamin Behymer, A. H. Beatty, Alfred Holter, John L. Weaver, M. G. Pease, A. M. Gatch, W. C. Dole (Mr. Edwards declining, his place was filled by S. s. Sutton, of Mount Washington).
The officers for 1864 were: President, John H. Branch; Vice-President, Alfred Holter, Secretary, William E. Mears; Treasurer, Wesley C. Dole, Managers, Edward Edwards, Peter U. Snell, William Marsh, E. J. Emery, J. H. Thompson, R. Irvin, John W. Duckwall, John L. Weaver, N. A. Day (Mr. Edwards declining, Emor Johnson was afterwards chosen in his place).
This year the annual fair (the sixteenth exhibition) was held at its new grounds adjoining the pleasant and prosperous village of Boston, where the board purchased of Frederick Mossett twenty-three and eleven-twenty-fifths acres of land at forty-five dollars per acre, amounting to one thousand and fifty-five dollars, and for which they received deed of general warranty dated on Aug. 29, 1867, when the payments were completed. Although Col. John H. Branch was president, he acted as marshal this year, as he had from and during the fair of 1859, and continued to do up to the year 1874, when he declined further service, having served fifteen years; and during that year, and to date, Gen. M. J. W. Holter has been the marshal, and, like his lamented predecessor, makes a gallant and efficient official.
The officers from 1865 to 1880 are named below:
1865 - President, John H. Branch; Vice-President, Alfred Holter; Secretary, William E. Mears; Treasurer, Wesley C. Dole; Managers, John W. Duckwall, John L. Weaver, John W. Thompson, John Applegate, Emor Johnson, F. J. Roudebush, F. X. Iuen, Reuben Rue, Samuel Titus. (Mr. Applegate declining, his place was filled by the election of Wm. McNutt, of Jackson township.)
1866 - President, John H. Branch; Vice-President, Alfred Holter; Secretary, Wm. E. Mears; Treasurer, Samuel Titus. (By a change of the constitution the number of the managers was increased from nine to ten, and the following were elected: John W. Duckwall, Wm. McNutt, Isaac Ferree, William Marsh, A. Redding J. L. Weaver, Emor Johnson, Richard Roudebush, John W. Thompson, John B. Needham, - the first five for one year and the other five for two years, as was decided by casting lots.)
1867 - President, William E. Mears; Vice-President, John W. Duckwall; Secretary, Frank Browing; Treasurer, Samuel Titus; Managers, Isaac Ferree, Wm. McNutt, Wm. Marsh, Augustus Oskamp, Nathan A. Day, John L. Weaver, Emor Johnson, R. Roudebush, J. W. Thompson, J. B. Needham.
1868 -- President, D. J. L. Woodward; Vice-President, John W. Duckwall; Secretary, Frank Browning; Treasurer, Samuel Titus; Managers, J. L. Weaver, J. L. Teal, F. J. Roudebush, B. F. Clark, Richard Roudebush, Isaac Ferree, Wm. McNutt, Wm . Marsh, A. Oskam, N. A. Day.
1869 -- President, John W. Duckwall; Vice-President, John L. Weaver; Secretary, Frank Browning; Treasurer, Moses Duckwall; Managers, A. M. Marsh, P. S. Gatch, W. T. Harman, William Tudor, Isaac Ferree, J. L. Teal, J. L. Weaver, F. J. Roudebush, R. Roudebush, B. F. Clark.
1870 - President, John W. Duckwall; Vice-President, John L. Weaver; Secretary, C. N. Browning; Treasurer, Stephen Robinson; Managers, J. L. Teal, B. F. Clark, F. J. Roudebush, Samuel Titus, Marion Myers, William Tudor, Isaac Ferree, A. M. Marsh, W. T. Hartman, P. S. Gatch.
1871 - President, John L Weaver; Vice-President, A. M. Marsh; Secretary, W. E. Mears; Treasurer, Stephen Robinson; Managers, Samuel Titus, F. J. Roudebush, Jesse L. Teal, Marion Myers, B. B. Clark, Wm. Marsh, William Tudor, William T. Hartman, Isaac Ferree, Philip S. Gatch.
1872 - President, John L. Weaver; Vice-President, A. M. Marsh; Secretary, William E. Mears; Treasurer, John W. Duckwall; Managers, Jesse L. Teal, Marion Myers, Samuel Titus, B. F. Clark, F. J. Roudebush, Wm. Marsh, Wm. Tudor, Wm. T. Hartman, Philip S. Gatch, and Isaac Ferree. (The exhibition held this year was on September 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, and though politics was engrossing to a great extent the attention of the people, -- it being the year of Presidential election, -- the fair was a grand success pecuniary and in the articles and stock exhibited.)
1873 - President, E. F. Roudebush; Vice-President, William Tudor; Secretary, Richard South; Treasurer, John W. Duckwall; Managers, J. O. Rapp, William S. Atchley, Jacob Burns, Daniel D. Marsh, P. S. Gatch, John L. Weaver, Erastus Hulick, Richard Shumard, Samuel Titus, Marion Myers, J. L. Teal, and B. F. Clark (Titus and Burns resigned).
1874 - President, F. J. Roudebush; Vice-President, _______ ______; Secretary, R. A. South; Treasurer, J. W. Duckwall; Managers, J. O. Rapp, William S. Atchley, Daniel D. Marsh, P. S. Gatch, John L, Weaver, Erastus Hulick, Richard Shumard, Zed South, William J. Rust, Marion Myers.
1875 - President, William Tudor; Vice-President, J. O. Rapp; Secretary, R. A. South; Treasurer, J. W. Duckwall; Managers, S. J. Rybolt, F. J. Roudebush, D. D. Marsh, Thomas Dougherty, W. S. Atchley, Marion Myers, Zed South, William J. Rust, Erastus Hulick, and John L. Weaver.
1876 - President, William Tudor; Vice-President, J. O. Rapp; Secretary, R. A. South; Treasurer, J. W. Duckwall; Managers, Marion Myers, Merritt Johnson, Erastus Hulick, John L. Weaver, Zed South, Stephen J. Rybolt, F. J. Roudebush, D. D. Marsh, W. S. Atchley, Thomas Dougherty.
1877 - President, J. O. Rapp; Vice-President, S. J. Rybolt; Secretary, R. A. South; Treasurer, J. W. Duckwall; Managers, Thomas Dougherty, F. J. Roudebush, D. D. Marsh, W. S. Atchley, William Tudor, Marion Myers, Merritt Johnson, Zed South, John L. Weaver, Erastus Hulick.
1878 - President, J. O. Rapp; Vice-President, S. J. Rybolt; Secretary, R. A. South; Treasurer, J. W. Duckwall; Managers, Thomas Dougherty, G. J. Roudebush, D. D. Marsh, W. S. Atchley, William Tudor, Erastus Hulick, W. W. Hulick, Marion Myers, Merritt Johnson, and Zed South.
1879 - President, S. J. Rybolt; Vice-President, Marion Myers; Secretary, R. A. South; Treasurer, J. W. Duckwall; Managers, Erastus Hulick, W. W. Hulick, Merritt Johnson, Zed South, J. O. Rapp, F. J. Roudebush, D. D. Marsh, A. M. Marsh, J. D. McKeever, and A. F. Queal.
1880 - President, S. J. Rybolt; Vice-President, Marion Myers; Secretary, Herman S., Hulick; Treasurer, J. W. Duckwall; Managers, W. W. Hulick, Erastus Hulick, J. R. Brown, Zed South, J. O Rapp, F. J. Roudebush, D. D. Marsh, A. M. Marsh, J. D. McKeever, and A. F. Queal.
The last annual exhibition of this society was held at Boston from September 2nd to 5th inclusive, it being the thirty-first since its creation, on June 9, 1849, and was conducted under the auspices of the officers heretofore given, with the following superintendents: On horses, J. O. Rapp and D. D. Marsh; cattle, sheep, and swine, J. D. McKeever; Mechanics' Hall, A. M. Marsh; fruit, a. F. Queal; pantry-producers, Merritt Johnson; flowers, Mrs. Clara Titus; domestic manufactures, W. W. Hulick; Floral Hall, Erastus Hulick. The first day was devoted to general preparation, entries, and arrangement of all articles and stock, passage through the gates being free. The second was devoted to horses for all purposes, cattle, including cross, imported, and between native and imported. The third day was given up to draught, fine and light harness-horses, carriage and farm-teams matched, buggy-teams for driving in pairs or single, sheep with a grade between native and pure, swine, poultry, farm-implements, wheel-carriages and machinery, farm- products, dairy and pantry- products, grains and seeds, vegetables, pets fruits, flowers, needle-work and embroidery, wax-work, domestic manufactures, leather goods, paintings and drawings, mechanics, manufactures. The fourth and last day was occupied in the pacing-match and exhibition of jacks and mules, riding and driving, and the show of knitting and sewing machines, musical instruments, and field-crops.
The payment of one dollar and fifty cents constitutes a resident of the country (if over twenty-one years of age) a member of the society, with the privilege of entering any number of articles or animals for exhibition he or she may choose in any of the departments. Admission: Single tickets, twenty-five cents; horse and rider, fifty cents; and no vehicle allowed within the enclosure except upon a member's badge.
The following is the treasurer's report for year ending Jan. 1, 1879:
Jan.1, 1879, balance on hand
Received from gates
Received for privileges
Received for entry-fee
Received for stable-rent
Received from county fund
Amount paid for premiums
Amount paid for labor
Amount paid for music
Amount paid for printing
Amount paid for bonds
Amount paid for material
Amount paid for clerk and police
Amount paid for expenses of board
Total paid out
Balance in treasury
The Clermont County Agricultural, Horticultural, and Mechanic Arts Association
In the summer of 1856, the Clermont County Agricultural Society, which had held seven annual exhibitions, split into two organizations, one retaining the original and parent name and going to Olive Branch to hold its fairs, the other taking the name of "Clermont County Agricultural Society near Bantam," and holding its yearly exhibitions on the old grounds, to which it made important additions in territory, erected a splendid floral hall, magnificent amphitheater, and greatly beautified its pleasant grounds by walks, drives, and elegant shade trees.
Under the new organization the officers of the popularly called "Bantam Fair" for 1856, were: President, John Quinlan; Vice-President, T. C. Sargent; Secretary, A. Coombs; Treasurer, James McMurchy; Managers, Thomas Hitch, Samuel Simpson, Charles Robinson, John Swem, Richard Pemberton. This was the best fair ever held on the old ground near Bantam, and the exhibition of cattle, horses, and other stock was finer and in greater abundance than hitherto. The mechanical department was well represented by various articles, and Floral Hall was richly decorated, tastefully arranged, and filled with the most perfect specimens of handiwork of the ladies, and with flowers and fruits in almost endless varieties. The first exhibition under the new régime was grandly successful in the vast crowds in attendance and everything exhibited, and, with the eloquent address of Thomas M. Lewis, was greatly enjoyed by the thousands present.
The officers for 1857 were: President, Richard Pemberton; Vice-President, T. C. Sargent; Secretary, Andrew Coombs; Treasurer, Isaac Quinlan; Mangers, Thomas Hitch, F. A. Taylor, William Shaw, David Moreton, and Robert Vanosdol. This year, in addition to the five and a half acres bought March 11, 1853, under the old management, twenty-five acres, three roods, twenty-six and one-fourth poles of land were purchased, thus making ample room for the exhibitions of the society. This land was bought by three deeds, made to William Shaw, Temple C. Sargent, Elisha B. Simmons, and George McMurchy, as trustees, in trust, one dated Oct. 5, 1857, by John Slade, for $1036.56; another, of same date, for like amount, by J. S. Slade; and the third, dated Sept. 26, 1859, by Ellen Slade, for $387, conveying her interest.
In 1858 no election was held, according to the records. The officers from 1859 to 1879 are herewith given:
1859 - President, J. R. Corbly; Vice-President, Benjamin Penn; Secretary, A. McNair, Jr.; Treasurer, ---- Nichols; Managers, William Hawkins, O. W. Vanosdol, Thomas Husong, William Johnson, A. W. Huling, Jacob Jackson, Benjamin Behymer, T. C. Sargent, George W. Salt.
1860 - President, J. R. Corbly; Vice-President, Benjamin Penn; Secretary, A. McNair, Jr.; Treasurer, J. F. M. Ely; Managers, William Hawkins, O. W. Vanosdol, Thomas Husong, Newton Corbly, A. W. Huling, Jacob Jackson, William Iden, Samuel Murphy, George W. Salt.
1861 - President, William Hawkins; Vice-President, Ezekiel Slade; Secretary, A. McNair, Jr.; Treasurer, J. F. M. Ely; Managers, William Johnson, Ezekiel Slade, James Goodwin, Samuel Murphy, J. R. Shaw, A. J. Morin, William Iden, Newton Corbly, P. S. Jones.
1862 - President, J. R. Corbly; Vice-President, Ezekiel Slade; Secretary, A. McNair, Jr.; Treasurer, J. F. M. Ely; Managers, O. S. Robinson, O. W. Vanosdol, P. T. Cox, William Carter, B. H. Simmons, William Hawkins, William Iden, Newton Corbly, P. S. Jones.
1863 - President, Newton Corbly; Vice-President, William Winans; Secretary, A. McNair, Jr.; Treasurer, J. F. M. Ely; Managers, Charles Robinson, Jr.; Philip Chatterton, P. T. Cox, M. S. Dimmitt, D. H. Nichols, William Hawkins, William Iden, J. R. Foster, P. S. Jones.
1864 - President, Newton Corbly; Vice-President, William Winans; Secretary, A. McNair, Jr.; Treasurer, N. A. Hitch; Managers, Charles Robinson, Jr., Isaac Ferree, J. F. M. Ely, P. T. Cox, D. H. Nichols, M. S. Dimmitt, John Shaw, Noah Tompkins, Collins Doughty.
1865 - President, J. R. Corbly; Vice-President, William Iden; Secretary, A. McNair, Jr.; Treasurer, N. A. Hitch; Managers, David Atchley, O. H. Hardin, J. F. M. Ely, P. T. Cox, W. W. Ricker, M. S. Dimmitt, William Hawkins, Noah Tompkins, Collins Doughty.
1866 - President, Moses S. Dimmitt; Vice-President, Newton Corbly; secretary, F. M. Robinson; Treasurer, John M. Goodwin; Managers, Charles Robinson, Jr., O. W. Vanosdol, Eli R. Leeds, W. W. Fronk, W. W. Manning, Charles Robb, Robert Jeremiah, Eben Behymer, A. J. Morin.
1867 - President, Ezekiel Slade; Vice-President, Newton Corbly; Secretary, F. M. Robinson; Treasurer, John M. Goodwin; Managers, John Wageman, Joseph Jenkins, B. F. Hitch, W. W. Fronk, A. J. Sargent, Jacob Jackson, H. G. Donaldson, H. M. Hancock, Robert Jeremiah.
1868 - President, J. R. Foster; Vice-President, Benjamin Archer; Secretary, F. M. Robinson; Treasurer, J. M. Goodwin; Managers, John Wageman, O H. Hardin, Samuel Ulrey, E. J. Prather, J. H. Gates, W. W. Gardner, A. B. Cleveland, John Hall, H. G. Donaldson.
1869 - President, Ezekiel Slade; Vice-President, O. W. Vanosdol; Secretary, F. M. Robinson; Treasurer, Aaron Corbly; Managers, B. F. Hitch, E. J. Prather, J. H. Gates, David White, O. H. Hardin, W. W. Gardner, Newton Corbly, John Hall, H. G. Donaldson.
1870 - President, O. W. Vanosdol; Vice-President, John Ferguson; Secretary, D. H. Nichols; Treasurer, W. W. Ricker; Managers, Thomas Husong, Cornelius McCollum, George G. Crane, Thomas Fletcher, A. D. Butler, W. W. Gardner, Wash. Park, Joseph Marriott, John D. Penn.
1871 - President, W. W. Gardner; Vice-President, Hiram McKown; Secretary, M. A. Leeds; Treasurer, W. W. Ricker; Managers, J. M. Simpkins, C. McCollum, Joseph Clare, Joseph Marriott, P. T. Cox, Ira Ferguson, William A. Shaw, A. D. Butler, Frank Davis.
1872 - President, W. W. Garner; Vice-President, Hiram McKown; Secretary, M. A. Leeds; Treasurer, Joseph Clare; Managers, Josiah Wilson, O. W. Vanosdol, J. M. Goodwin, E. J. Prather, F. M. Trees, D. H. Nichols, J. B. Burridge, Newton Corbly, John Hall. (This year the name was changed from "The Clermont Agricultural Society near Bantam" to The Clermont Agricultural, Horticultural, and Mechanics Arts Association, and the fair entirely reorganized in its management with a new constitution, by-laws, and rules.)
1873 - President, W. W. Gardner; Vice-President, B. F. Hitch; Secretary, D. H. Nichols; Treasurer, Winthrop Frazer; Managers, Wm. Johnson, John E. Tribble, John Tatman, M. S. Dimmitt, Noah Tompkins, J. F. M. Ely, H. O. D. Banks, Jonathan Donham, John Hall.
1874 - President, H. O. D. Banks; Vice-President, Joseph Clare; Secretary, D. H. Nichols; Treasurer, Winthrop Frazer; Managers, W. A. Johnson, N. A. Hitch, B. F. Hitch, M. S. Dimmitt, F. M. Trees, L. L. Fridman, H. G. Donaldson, Jonathan Donham, Peter S. Jones.
1875 - President, W. W. Gardner; Vice-President, O. W. Vanosdol; Secretary, D. H. Nichols; Treasurer, John L. Barkley; Mangers, Isaac Vanosdol, John Tatman, M. S. Dimmitt, Robert Buchanan, L. L. Fridman, William Donaldson, A. D. Butler, Albert W. Huling.
1876 - President, Elbridge G. Ricker; Vice-President, Wm. Donaldson; Secretary, F. M. Robinson; Treasurer, John L. Barkley; Managers, B. F. Moyer, John Tribble, John Tatman, Joseph Marriott, Robert Buchanan, W. W. Gardner, Wm. Hawkins, Newton Corbly, Peter S. Jones.
1877 - President, Wm. Donaldson; Vice-President, John Tatman; Secretary, F. M. Robinson; Treasurer, J. L. Barkley; Managers, B. F. Moyer, John Tribble, Dr. W. E. Thompson, M. S. Dimmitt, Noah Tompkins, Wm. Hawkins, Hiram D. Tone, W. W. Gardner, Newton Corbly.
1878 - President, Wm. Donaldson; Vice-President, John Tatman; Secretary, B. F. Moyer; Treasurer, John L. Barley; Managers, William Johnson, John Tribble, Dr. William E. Thompson, Moses S. Dimmitt, Noah Tompkins, J. R. H. Simmons, William Hawkins, Albert D. Butler, J. R. Hicks. (The exhibition this season was unusually interesting from the grand display of fruits and flowers and stock, of which latter many blooded horses and imported stock of cattle were from a distance and some from Kentucky. The increasing shade and foliage of the growing trees added much to the comfort of those in attendance.)
1879 - President, Wm. Donaldson, of New Richmond; Vice-President, Joseph Clare; Secretary, W. E. Nichols; Treasurer, John L. Barkley; Directors, B. F. Moyer, Dr. W. E. Thompson, E. J. Prather, J. S. Archer, J. E. Tribble, Noah Tompkins, J. R. H. Simmons, Wm. Hawkins, A. D. Butler; Executive Committee for the Fair, Wm. Donaldson, W. E. Nichols, E. J. Prather, Joseph Clare, Dr. W. E. Thompson; Marshal, E. J. Prather; Chief of Police, Anthony Sylvester; Superintendent of Horses, Wm. Hawkins, Dr. W. E. Thompson; of Mechanics' Hall, A. D. Butler; of Cattle, Sheep, and Swine, J. E. Tribble; of Vegetable Hall, Noah Tompkins; of Floral Hall, A. W. Huling, Joseph Clare, J. S. Archer.
The exhibition of 1879 was held at its spacious grounds near Bantam on September 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, and 27th, and was in every respect a success, auguring well for the future of the society.
The management has enacted rules for the government of the fairs, forbidding all gambling or the taking of intoxicating or spirituous liquors on to the grounds, and the best of order is ever maintained. All products of the soil must be exhibited by the producer or some member of his family, and grains, vegetables, preserves, and jellies have to be products of the year of exhibition. This fair is now on a good basis, is in the hands of a prudent management, and is largely attended and patronized by the people of Southern and Central Clermont. Its annual displays of tobaccos - fine white and burley leafs - are unsurpassed in the country, and are produced mostly in Franklin and Washington townships, the two best in Ohio for growing this weed, now in such complete use in the whole world. Pantry-products of the good housewives come in for much attention, and the animated competition in stock shows the growing interest in domestic animals. For the year 1880 the officers are: President, William W. Gardner, of Laurel; Vice-President, B. F. Moyer; Secretary, Wm. Donaldson, of New Richmond; Treasurer, J. R. Hicks; Managers, Ezekiel Slade, O. W. Vanosdol, Levi R. White, E. J. Prather, Noah Tompkins, D. H. Nichols, Wm. Hawkins, Raymond Gee, and A. D. Butler.
The Loveland Horticultural and Agricultural Society
This society was the best and most favorably known of any local organization in Ohio. Its place of meeting was at the greatest shipping-point for peaches in the State, which attracted attention to this locality and gave the society prominence. It was organized Feb. 14, 1864, with the following officers: President, Dr. J. P. Emery; Vice-President, S. B. Smith; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Treasurer, E. J. Emery; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
The officers from this time to 1874 were as follows:
1865 - President, W. C. Pinkham; Vice-President, S. B. Smith; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Treasurer, E. J. Emery; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
1866 -- President, W. C. Pinkham; Vice-President, A. Kimball; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Treasurer, E. J. Emery; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
1867 - President, W. C. Pinkham; Vice-President, A. Kimball; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Treasurer, E. J. Emery; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
1868 - President, E. J. Emery; Vice-President, A. Kimball; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Treasurer, S. B. Smith; Corresponding Secretary, W. C. Pinkham; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
1869 - President, E. J. Emery;; Vice-President, A. Kimball; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Corresponding Secretary, W. C. Pinkham; Treasurer, S. B. Smith; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
1870 - President, Dr. J. P. Emery; Vice-President, S. B. Smith; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Corresponding Secretary, W. C. Pinkham; Treasurer, E. J. Emery; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
1871 - President, Dr. J. P. Emery; Vice-President, M. D. Parmer; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Corresponding Secretary, W. C. Pinkham; Treasurer, E. J. Emery; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
1872 - President, Dr. J. P. Emery; Vice-President, M. D. Parmer; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Corresponding Secretary, W. C. Pinkham; Treasurer, E. J. Emery; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
1873 - President, Dr. J. P. Emery; Vice-President, M. D. Parmer; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Treasurer, E. J. Emery; Corresponding Secretary, W. C. Pinkham; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
1874 - President, W. C. Pinkham; Vice-President, M. D. Parmer; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; Corresponding Secretary, D. H. Shields; Librarian, Thomas Paxton, Jr.
During 1874 the society was merged into Loveland Grange, No. 316 (which had been organized in December, 1873), of which most of the members of this famous society became members, and in it have since been zealously carrying on the great work of the original organization, shedding new light upon the science of horticulture and awakening an interest in the culture of fruits.
This society had a choice library of one hundred and ninety-four volumes, seventeen of which were on horticulture; four on gardening; seven on agriculture; fifteen on domestic animals; forty on floral and ornamental culture; sixty-five scientific and miscellaneous; and fifty of agricultural and geological reports, pamphlets, and public documents. The society had its stated meetings, held discussions on the causes of failures in fruit-growing in many localities, depredations of insects, climatic changes, the shipping and marketing of fruits, botany of flowers, forest-culture, etc. In no part of Ohio was the combination of the useful and beautiful in the occupation of a farmer carried to such successful perfection as in the neighborhood of Loveland, which within a radius of six miles contains more fruit-farms, berry-gardens, and fields of cultivated flowers than any other locality in the West.
The success of this society was largely due to the efficiency of its able secretary, S. R. Buckingham, the best agricultural and horticultural writer in Southern Ohio, whose contributions to the press and labors in other fields did so much to lift farming out of the ancient ruts and put it on a higher scale, intellectually and financially, in the Little Miami Valley.
The society held its exhibitions at stated periods in the time-honored Loveland Lyceum hall, and the same comprised strawberries, raspberries, cherries, apples, peaches, pears, quinces, flowers, productions of the skillful and dutiful wife, specimens of elegant needle-work, productions of art, vegetables, grapes, wines, domestic manufactures, etc., closing with refreshments, speeches, and much social festivity. The attention given to the cultivation of berries, fruits, and flowers attracted the most cultivated and sociable people from other localities, and made Loveland and its environs a delightful neighborhood. Much valuable information was diffused by the meetings of the society in the giving of the experience of its members, making inquiries, and discussing the merits and demerits of the various fruits, grains, and vegetables under cultivation, and the best mode of propagating and cultivating the same. The knowledge gained from a perusal of its well-assorted library was of inestimable value to the farmer, who increased the product of his labor by more skillful and intelligent use of the means at his command, and who knew that farming and fruit-growing required more capital and skill to conduct them successfully and profitable than years ago, when the land was new and our orchards and gardens were protected from the cold, chilly blasts of winter by the forests that are now fast disappearing. Horticulture has a most refining influence and is not only one of the noblest occupations, but is alike conducive to the health of a community by providing wholesome fruit, and profitable in that it affords employment to many men, women, and children.
This society encouraged the use of fertilizers, turned the attention of farmers from the old-time style of farming to the cultivation of products more easily grown and that brought better prices, and awakened so much interest in this direction that the system of farming has practically been changed, a large part of Clermont being today devoted to the cultivation of the various fruits and tobacco.
In addition to the foregoing societies, much good has been done by the Patrons of Husbandry, who organized the following granges in Clermont County. The list gives the number as organized, Master and Secretary, and the names and post-office address of Secretaries in 1875:
No. 29, Master, Davis Whippy; Secretary, W. Whippy; post-office, Withamsville.
No. 31, Master, Frank M. Neal; Secretary, W. R. Fletcher; post-office, Moscow.
No. 53, Master, J. W. Foote; Secretary, Thomas D. Scott; post-office, West Woodville.
No. 54, Master, William Clevenger; Secretary, Arthur Moon; post-office, Cuba, Clinton Co.
No. 102, Master, D. H. Nichols; Secretary, A. W. Huling; post-office, Bantam.
No. 103, Master, H. F. Gray; Secretary, M. S. Dimmitt; post-office, Felicity.
No. 126, Master, John F. Burns; Secretary, J. H. Burns; post-office, Monterey.
No. 127, Master, J. L. Roudebush; Secretary, Thomas C. Teal; post-office, Stonelick.
No. 128, Master, J. Colter; Secretary, A. S. Corbly; post-office, Amelia.
No. 129, Master, E. D. Duckwall; Secretary, W. S. Rose; post-office, Olive Branch.
No. 188, Master, Wilson Barber; Secretary, F. T. Donaldson; post-office, New Richmond.
No. 189, Master, D. L. Bishop; Secretary, W. L. Gordon; post-office, Goshen.
No. 190, Master, Rowan Lytle; Secretary, A. D. Day; post-office, Afton.
No. 200, Master, a. M. Swope; Secretary, J. L. Trees; post-office, Point Isabel.
No. 226, Master, William Halse; Secretary, B. H. Swing; post-office, Bethel.
No. 234, Master, E. L. Bennett; Secretary, L. Evanshine; post-office, New Richmond.
No. 235, Master, W. H. Hartman; Secretary, E. H. McNutt; post-office, Marathon.
No. 248, Master, L. w. Wiltsee; Secretary, Albert Leeds; post-office, Mount Holly.
No. 261, Master, A. f. Queal; Secretary, A. B. Shaw; post-office, Mount Repose.
No. 307, Master, J. M. Teal; Secretary, W. H. Mead; post-office, Olive Branch.
No. 316, Master J. P. Emery; Secretary, S. R. Buckingham; post-office, Loveland.
No. 320, Master, S. Titus; Secretary, J. L. Weaver; post-office, Batavia.
No. 327, Master, O. P. Buckingham; Secretary, Frank Hetzler; post-office, Medaira, Hamilton Co.
No. 370, Master, J. L. Cochnower; Secretary, Jacob Roudebush; post-office Bantam.
No. 386, Master, Z. Dickinson; Secretary, C. C. Brown, post-office, Newtonsville.
No. 394, Master, B. Medary; Secretary, E. Chatterton; post-office, Hennings Mills.
No. 415, Master, George H. Sapp; Secretary, George F. Clark; post-office, Belfast.
No. 419, Master, James R. H. Simmons; Secretary, G. H. Barkley; post-office, Laurel.
No. 454, Master, James Ashton; Secretary, J. W. Hutchinson; post-office, Williamsburgh.
No. 455, Master, T. W. Morehead; Secretary, John Rowan; post-office, Williamsburgh.
No. 529, Master, Andrew Jackson; Secretary, F. M. Quigby; post-office, Edenton.
No. 589, Master, M. W. Owen; Secretary, M. L. Tucker; post-office, Maple, Brown Co.
No. 825, Master, John F. Hardy; Secretary, A. W. Shinkle; post-office, Smith's Landing.
No. 871, Master, George Jarman; Secretary, William L. Drake; post-office, Neville.
No. 975, Master, N. A. Day; Secretary, M. Simmons; post-office, Mount Carmel.
These granges were organized from 1873 until the period named, and had a large aggregate membership. A vast fund of agricultural knowledge was disseminated through this channel, and the masses were educated to think and act upon matters which affected their material interests. It is to be regretted that of the thirty-five granges instituted in the county but few have maintained their organization, and that this interest has been allowed to decline to such an extent that only this brief account of the Patrons can be given with any authenticity.
The county grange, "Pomona," elected its first regular officers at a meeting held at Williamsburgh, March 3, 1875, when Davis Whippy was chosen Master; George Fishback, Overseer; M. H. Duckwall, Treas.; M. Simmons, Sec. In 1876 these offices were filled in the order given by George Fishback, William Ferris, M. H. Duckwall, and M. Simmons; in 1877 by E. D. Duckwall, Rowan Lytle, M. H. Duckwall, and S. G. Morris; in 1878 by Davis Whippy, E. D. Duckwall, George Fishback, and S. G. Morris; and in 1879 by Davis Whippy, N. A. Day, M. H. Duckwall, and J. W. Wiltsee.