Clinton County, Ohio
BENNETT, William G., contractor; born, Blanchester, O., Nov. 23, 1868; son of Henry D. and Chalista (Granger) Bennett; educated public schools and Danville (Ind.) Normal School; married, Cora Brennan, of Philadel.phia, Sept. 22, 1889; children: Raulston A., Beatrice O., Dolly A., William G., Jr., Rosaline. Began active career, 1883, as rodman in employ of Sooysmith & Co., bridge contractors, New York, and advanced to position of superin.tendent of construction; became connected with the Edgemoor Bridge Co., 1892, as fore.man in construction of buildings of Colum.bian Exposition, Chicago; after close of expo.sition served as general superintendent Columbia Salvage Co., the name later being changed to the Chicago House Wrecking Co.; removed to St. Louis, 1902, and organized the St. Louis Wrecking and Supply Co., the name being later changed to the Chicago Wrecking and Supply Co., of which was vice president and general manager until 1910; since in general contracting business. Republican. Scottish Rite Mason (32°), Shriner, Odd Fellow. Club: Missouri Athletic. Recreations: fishing and hunting. Office and Residence: 4561 Morgan Street. [Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]
GREEN, Thomas Homer, Minneapolis. Res 2106 S Aldrich av, office 20 N 3rd st. Wholesale grocer. Born Oct 27, 1849 in Ohio, son of Israel C and Rachael (Moorman) Green. Married 1873 to Julia A Casteen. Educated in common schools of Clinton county O, and Eastman's Business College Poughkeepsie NY. Variously employed in Ill and Ia 1866-85; sec and treas Tolerton & Stetson whole grocers Sioux City Ia 1885-1901; established Green-DeLaittre co Minneapolis 1901; now pres of same. Member Masonic fraternity, Commercial and Westminster clubs; treas Minn Wholesale Grocers Assn; pres N W Jobbers Credit Bureau. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]
David Lieurance, a retired farmer of Martinsville, Ohio, was born two and one-half miles west of New Antioch in 1852, the son of William and Mary (Hall) Lieurance, both of whom are natives of Clinton county. Mr. Lieurance's maternal grandfather. Tilman Hall, was an early settler near New Antioch, but later removed to the Hoosier state and died. William Lieurance was educated in the pioneer schools of Clinton county, and was a farmer all his life. He died when his son, David, was only five years old. There were three sons and one daughter in the family. The mother lived until David was about twenty-five years old. David Lieurance was educated in the old Gregory school, and began work early in life, helping to support the family. He and his brother, A. Pierce Lieurance, purchased eighty-one acres together and for some time farmed that tract of land together. After David married, the land was divided. He added to his portion a little by purchase, and started life for himself with forty-seven arces. For about five years before he purchased the land, he worked by the month for eight and one-half dollars a month, the first year, and a little more each year afterward. From the time of his marriage until the time of his retirement to Martinsville in the fall of 1911, David Lieurance was engaged in farming. He still owns a farm of one hundred and one and ninety-two one-hundredths acres in Clark township. He also has an excellent house and lot in Martinsville where he and his wife and daughter live. In 1877 David Lieurance was married to Sydney E. Hunt, daughter of Jacob Hunt, an early settler of Clark township and a farmer by occupation, to which union one child has been born, a daughter, Laurena Maude, who lives at home with her parents. The Lieurances are members of the Friends church. Various members of the family have been prominent in the society of Friends for many years in the religious history of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Lieurance are highly-respected residents of Martinsville, and are well known in that vicinity. ["History of Clinton County, Ohio: Its People, Industries, and Institutions ..." By Albert J. Brown (A.M.), pub. 1915]
TURNER, Albert H.
That the printing press is an educator has come to be universally recognized, and that its influence is the most potent in the dissemination of general information is universally admitted. Journalism is distinctly a literary field wherein advancement in the sciences and the arts is encouraged and wherein the ethics of business, politics and the professions finds reformation. Its effects upon the world of civilization have been magical as a stimulator and developer of the principle of originality, the faculty of invention, and as an exhibitor of the world's doings in one grand panorama of activity. In the light of its general results then, he who chooses and carries forward upon a high plane the profession of journalism, as applied to the realm of newspaper work, is a benefactor of his race. The editor who, not withstanding public or personal adversity, encourages his readers to be hopeful, patriotic and virtuous in the eyes of the law, performs a service to humanity, the measure of which cannot be expressed in words. To effectively do such a work requires a breadth of information and a wealth of experience not in possession of the occupant of every editorial chair.
A journal which has had much to do with the educational, industrial and moral affairs of Neosho county, is the Chanute Times. It came into existence at the time of small things in Chanute and its policy has done much toward shaping the destiny of its town and county. Whatever may be said with reference to the talent of its founders its present owner, A. H. Turner, is one of the characters of Neosho county whose reputation for learning, uprighteousness and patriotism has been long established. He was not unknown to Neosho county Centennial year, for he had already spent two years within its borders and the public and private relations he has assumed to its citizenship have been such as to establish an unalloyed and unreserved confidence between them. As an editor, although comparatively a novice in the work, he is regarded as one of the strong men of the fraternity, and his periodical maintains a patronage and a circulation second to none in the county.
Mr. Turner was born in Clinton county, Ohio, August 5, 1850. His parents were Martin L. and Mary Jane (Spears) Turner, natives of the state of New Jersey and Ohio. The father was a teacher in early life, then became a farmer, and in 1865, located in Knox county, Illinois, where he resides at the age of seventy-seven, while his wife has reached the age of seventy-two years. The former has passed a life of physical and mental activity, possessed strong convictions and radical views on all great national questions, was an avowed Union man during the rebellion and has been more or less active in the politics of his county since the war. He is a good talker and on this account especially, is his support of personal friends for office valued and appreciated.
Our subject is the eldest of three children, the others being Lawrence K., who died at twenty-one years, a widely known, highly respected and popular young man, and Addie, wife of Cyrus Dikeman, a large stock farmer in Illinois. Mr. Turner was educated in Abington College, Illinois, and graduated in the scientific course, class of 1873. He had prepared himself for teaching and had taught several years before finishing his college course, so that when he completed his course he entered the profession with experience. He taught a year in Illinois and in 1871 came west and located in Neosho county, Kansas. Good and able men were in demand in the schools of Kansas in that day, more so than now, for they were the exception then, now they are the rule. He immediately identified himself with school work and after two years, was chosen a candidate for county superintendent. His administration was endorsed with a re-election in 1878, and in January, 1881, he retired from office, having given the cause of public education in Neosho county four years of diligent, intelligent and efficient service. The next year he was principal of the Chanute schools and, following this, he served a year and a half as cashier of the Chanute bank. An opening then presented itself for an engagement in the hardware business in Chanute and this he took advantage of. For sixteen years he handled hardware and implements and was only retired in 1894, when he met with a heavy loss by fire. In the space of the following four years he gathered his scattered and weakened resources together preparatory to another business venture. In 1898 he purchased the Chanute Times, one of the oldest newspapers in the county, and is engaged success fully in its publication. In his political leanings Mr. Turner is noted for his advocacy of Republican doctrines and candidates, and while he is not violent and abusive of the rights and opinions of others his defense of his own position sometimes amounts to an arraignment of the party opposed to him. His position among the able men of the state warranted Governor Stanley in appointing him one of the Regents of the State Normal school in 1899, which position he held two years.
Mr. Turner was married to Miss lda Stone in 1878. She was a daughter of Luther and Susan Stone and was born in the state of New York. Her father brought his family to Kansas and took up his residence in Neosho county many years ago. Mr. Stone died several years ago and Mrs. Stone is now spending her last years with her daughter in Chanute. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Turner are Addie, deceased at eight years; Clair K., a student in the State Normal school of Kansas; Emma R., who is in the same institution; Vyrl, and Eva and Ava, twins. In his society connections Mr. Turner is a member of the Christian church, a Blue Lodge Mason and a Workman of the Ancient Order. [Source: History of Neosho and Wilson Counties, Kansas, Pub. by L. Wallace Duncan, Fort Scott, Kansas, Monitor Printing Co., 1902; transcribed by VB]