Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Ohio Genealogy Trails

Columbiana County, Ohio


Biographies


John Henry Bard
John Henry Bard and Sarah Jane Turner were married in Huntington township, Gallia county, Ohio, April 12, 1868. He was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, August 8, 1838, and his wife was born in this township, January 31, 1832. The parents of Mr. Bard were Henry and Winfred (Hueston) Bard, settlers of this county in 1847, and who are both deceased. The subject of this sketch is engaged in farming in Huntington township. He has three children: Emily Margaret, born June 21, 1870; William Allen, September 1, 1872; Mary Ellen, April 13, 1876, deceased. The parents of Mrs. Bard were Jonathan and Mary Dawson (Collins) Turner. They settled in this county in 1828, and are both deceased. Jonathan Turner was in the service of the United States during the war of 1812, serving one year. The postoffice address of Mr. Bard is Ewington, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: "History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c"; James P. Averill; Hardesty & Co.,Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882 - Tr. by A. Parks]



John Williams Barnaby

John Williams Barnaby, the subject of this sketch, was born at Westville, Columbiana County, Ohio. He was educated in the common schools and at Mt. Union College. His parents were Quakers, and they came from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to Ohio, in 1837, and located in the eastern part of Stark County. Mr. Barnaby is a bookkeeper by profession, and he has always been a republican in politics. In 1879 he was elected recorder of Stark County, and re-elected, thus serving six years in that office. During the war of the rebellion he served three years as a sergeant in the One Hundred and Fifteenth Regiment O. V. I., and was discharged with an honorable record. He was deputy treasurer for Stark County from 1886 to 1890, and in 1892 he was appointed cashier in the state treasurer's department, where he remained until January 1896. He was appointed a clerk in the adjutant-general's office, by General Axline, June 3, 1896. The maiden name of Mr. Barnaby's wife was Miss Emma K. London, whose father was born in London, England. They have four children, three daughter and one son. Mr. Barnaby is a member of Canton Post, G. A. R., and of Buckeye Lodge, No. 11, K of P. Canton.
["Representative Men of Ohio, 1896-97" By James Kazerta Mercer, C. N. Vallandigham]


Byron A. Beeson
BYRON A. BEESON was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, February 26, 1838. His education was obtained in the public schools, and in 1854 he removed to Iowa, locating on a farm in Marshall County. When the Civil War began he enlisted in a company raised by William P. Hepburn which became a part of the Second Iowa Cavalry. Mr. Beeson served in that famous regiment three years and then reenlisted as a veteran in 1864 and was promoted to first lieutenant of Company B, serving to the close of the war. He was elected treasurer of Marshall County, serving until 1882. In July, 1878, he was commissioned adjutant in the Iowa National Guards and was repeatedly promoted holding the position of captain, lieutenant-colonel, colonel and Brigadier-General. In 1889 he was appointed Adjutant-General of the State, and in 1890 he was elected on the Republican ticket, State Treasurer, serving four years. In 1897 he was appointed quartermaster of the Iowa Soldiers' Home at Marshalltown where he served until 1903, when he was appointed Treasurer of the National Soldiers' Home at Norfolk, Virginia. ["
History of Iowa From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the Twentieth Century", Volume 4 by Benjamin F. Gue]


Isaac Boatman
Was born in Columbiana, Ohio, April 30, 1840, and came to this county in 1846 with his parents, Barney and Eliza (Ward) Boatman. Mr. Boatman enlisted as a private November 5, 1861, in Company I, 53d Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was assigned to the 2d division under General W. T. Sherman. He was at Shiloh, April 6, 7 and 8, at Pea Ridge and siege of Corinth. From Memphis he was detailed by Sherman to build Fort Pickering at that city with one hundred colored contrabands. In September, 1862, he was taken with typhoid fever, and transferred January 1, 1863, to Mound City hospital. He left the hospital March 1, 1863, and joined his regiment at Lagrange, Tennessee. In June he was detailed by Brigadier-General W. S. Smith to assist in organizing a colored regiment, which was completed June 7, and Mr. Boatman was commissioned by President Lincoln second lieutenant; was on Colonel Edward Bouton's staff, stationed at Memphis; was assigned to Brigadier-General Sturgis (a traitor), and marched 150 miles to Guntown, where a battle was fought June 10, 1864. The rebels captured and took prisoners over half the command, the remainder retreating to Memphis. Mr. Batman was then placed in the command of Major-General A. J. Smith; went to Harrisburg, Mississippi, where August 14 and 15, they had a two-days fight and came out victorious. He was then stationed at Memphis until the close of the war, and was mustered out January 31, 1866. After receiving his discharge he returned to Mississippi, where he was elected sheriff of Tunica for three years, 1867-8-9. He returned to Gallia county in 1870, where he has a splendid farm, consisting of 373 acres, over 100 of which is bottom land that is valuable. Mr. Boatman was married at Austin, Mississippi, September 12, 1866, to Jennie E. Ellison, who was born in Adams county, Ohio, April 1, 184. Their children are: Arthur E., born June 7, 1867, at West Union, Ohio, and resides at home; Mary E., at West Union September 30, 1869; John S., in Cheshire township July 13, 1875. The parents of Mrs. Boatman are Thomas and Mary (McNelan) Ellison. Her mother was born in Ireland. The former died July 16, 1868, and the latter resides in Adams county, Ohio. The grandfather of Mr. Boatman, Barney Boatman, served in the revolutionary war, and remained for fifteen years in the American army. At the age of sixty he was married to a girl of sixteen, and raised a family of ten children. He lived to the advanced age of 110 years. Mr. Boatman is engaged in stock-raising in addition to his farming. His postoffice address is Kyger, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882. - Tr. by A. Parks]



Samuel F. Boyce
BOYCE Samuel F, Duluth.  Res 320 12th av E, office 329 W Superior.  Drugs.  Born Aug 1, 1842 in Wellsville O, son of Robert and Christina (Wilhelm) Boyce.  Married in 1869 to Lucien Lane and in 1899 to Minie A Gould.  Educated in common high and Presbyterian schools Wellsville O.  Served in 104th Ohio Regt 1862-66; telegraph opr 1866-69; in drug business Chillicothe O; same Duluth 1884-85; sec Richardson Drug Co Omaha 1885; returned to Duluth 1886 and engaged in drug business to date.  Member Commercial Club, Masonic fraternity and G A R. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
 

Mrs. Martha McClellan Brown

Brown, Mrs. Martha McClellan, born near Baltimore, Md., 16th April, 1838. On her father's side she is descended from the McClellans, Covenanters of Scotland, and on the mother's side from the old Maryland families of Manypenny and Hight. She was married in her twentieth year to Rev. W. K. Brown, of the Pittsburgh Methodist Episcopal Conference In the fall of 1860 Mrs. M. McClellan Brown entered the Pittsburgh Female College, and in 1862 was graduated. In 1866 Mrs. Brown, owing to the unexpected death of the principal of the public schools in the county-seat of Columbiana county, Ohio, where her husband had been appointed pastor, was engaged as associate principal with him. In 1867 she was elected to a place in the executive committee of Ohio Good Templary, and immediately founded the temperance lecture system. In 1868 she took editorial charge of the Republican newspaper of Alliance, Ohio. Julius A. Spencer, of Cleveland, secretary of Ohio Good Templary in 1868, proposed to Mrs. Brown the formation of an independent political party, and she extended her hand to assist him. The question being further discussed, Mrs. Brown's husband required that, before his wife should unite in the movement for a new party, there must be an agreement to place woman on an equal status with man. Mr. Spencer finally agreed that woman should have equal status in the new party, and that a plank asserting this fact should be inserted in the platform, provided they were not expected to discuss that issue before the people. The Prohibition party was organized in Ohio early in the following year, 1869. In 1870 Mr. Brown purchased the political newspaper of which his wife w as editor, and for years that paper was made the vehicle of vigorous warfare against the liquor traffic. In 1872 Mrs. Brown was elected a delegate of Good Templary to Great Britain. Very shortly thereafter she was called to the headship of the order in the State of Ohio. When Mrs. Brown appeared upon the platform in Scotland and England in 1873, audiences of from 5,000 to 10,000 greeted the American temperance woman, and her title of Grand Chief Templar of Ohio was a passport to recognitions of royalty, even so far remote as Milan, Italy. She was elected at the State Grand Lodge of Ohio, held in Columbus in 1873, to succeed herself in the office she held. In her capacity of Chief Templar she issued an order in January, 1874, for a day of fasting and prayer in the three-hundred lodges of Ohio under her jurisdiction, and encouraged that all ministers of religion favorable to the order and the cause of temperance be invited to unite with the Good Templars. Finding that the women who had become active in the out-door work of the crusade were not satisfied to enter the Good Templar lodges, Mrs. Brown, at the suggestion of her husband, prepared a plan for the organization of crusaders in a national society without pass-words or symbols, under which plan open religious temperance meetings and work should be prosecuted, women being the chief instruments of such work. She afterwards was chiefly instrumental in gathering the women in the first national convention in Cleveland, Ohio, where she largely assisted in developing her plan, which was made the basis ot the permanent organization of the National Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Just after the founding of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, in August, 1874, Mrs. Brown was elected Right Grand Vice-Templar of the International Order of Good Templars, in Boston, Mass. In 1876 Mrs. Brown objected to the attitude of the majority of the Right Grand Lodge of Good Templars in rejecting lodges of colored people, and so withdrew and united with the English delegates. After ten years of separation the two bodies adjusted their issue by providing for regular lodges of colored people, and were reunited in 1886, at Saratoga, N. Y. In 1877, after repeated personal efforts with leading Republican officials, State and National, had failed to secure any actual, or even fairly promised political, antagonisms of the liquor interests, Mrs. Brown went to New York City and assumed the management of the newly organized National Prohibition Alliance. In October, 1881, Mrs. Brown gathered through personal letters, special circulars and press notices a large national conference of leading Prohibitionists and reformers in the Central Methodist Episcopal Church, New York City. Before that conference she made one of her most impassioned appeals for unity among temperance workers, whereby the National Prohibition Alliance was led to unite formally with the Prohibition Reform party. The success of the New York conference led to a similar conference in Chicago the following year, August, 1882, which was arranged for by Mrs. Brown, and which was more successful than the one held in New York. Many of the old leaders of the Prohibition Reform party were induced to attend the Chicago conference. At that conference Miss Frances E. Willard and her immediate following of Home Protectionists and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union were brought into the Prohibition party, besides many local organizations of temperance workers. Mrs. Brown thereupon dropped the non-partisan National Prohibition Alliance, believing that it had served its purpose. In the summer of 1882 Dr. and Mrs. Brown were elected to the presidency and vice-presidency of the Cincinnati Wesleyan College. The entire management of the institution has since devolved upon them, Mrs. Brown holding a professorship as well as the vice-presidency of the college. Among others she has received the degrees of Ph. D. and LL. D.
[Source: "American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies" Vol 1 Publ. 1897 - Transcribed by Marla Snow]



BACK -- HOME



Copyright Genealogy Trails