Columbiana County, Ohio
Columbiana County, Ohio
James Robertson, M. D.
Hanover has been the home of one of the most distinguished physicians and surgeons in eastern Ohio, James Robertson, M. D.
Dr. Robertson was the son of the Rev. James Robertson, a Presbyterian minister of Blair Athol, Scotland, and was born in Perthshire. May 19th, 1800. The family came to America in 1813. Dr. Robertson studied medicine under Dr. Potter, of New Lisbon, Ohio, and at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia.
He settled in Hanoverton in 1823. In 1827 he married Miss Anna Eliza Scott, the only child of David Scott, of New Lisbon, and formerly of Cecil county, Maryland. She was born June 21st 1806. Mrs. Robertson was a woman of great culture and fine mental and spiritual endowments. She was the sustaining power of the home, a perpetual benediction. Her quiet spirituality and strong convictions were a great force in the family, and left their inprint on every child. "Her children arise up and call her blessed." Dr. and Mrs. Robertson had eight children: Katherine (married John M. Kuhn, M. D.), Strowan S. (who studied medicine and succeeded his father), Lucretia (married James H. Seymour. M. D.), Walter S. (who studied dentistry), Fergus S. (who became a hardware merchant), Flora (married Rev. William Y. Brown, D. D., a Presbyterian minister), Oscar (died in infancy), Janet (married first A. P. Nicholas and subsequently Major Mortimer A. Higley, a banker in Cedar Rapids, Iowa).
Dr. Robertson was said to be "the best known man in the county." He was a man of fine physical presence and vigor, of great professional skill and devotion, and had a very warm heart. He was specially promninent in the anti-slavery movement before the civil war, his house be a station on the famous "Underground Railroad."
Dr. Robertson was active in the temperance reform. He was faithful in the support of the church. While contributing liberally to other denominations, he was a thorough Calvinist and Presbyterian in doctrinal belief, and one of the most regular at upon the ministration of the Gospel.
The lavish, warm-hearted hospitality of Dr. Robertson and his wife was appreciated by the clergy, and his home was often spoken of as "the Presbyterian Minister's Hotel."
His professional life in Hanoverton covered a period of over forty years, and was characterized by a kind regard for those to whom sickness was a double burdenthe poor. His reputation as a physician and surgeon caused him to be frequently called in consultation within a radius of forty or fifty miles, and occasionally to greater distances. He was tireless in his professional work. During a season of epidemic of malignant fever, which occurred one winter, he is said to have gone for six weeks with scarely any sleep, excepting what he got in his sleigh while hurriedly driven from patient to patient. "A vision of this grand hero comes to my mind," writes a friend, when I read of Ian MacLaren's Doctor of the Old School." Like him, James Robertson was Scotch and like William MacLure he proved the "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
Dr. Robertson died in 1868 in the triumph of his faith in Christ. Two years later his devoted wife joined him in the Heavenly Home. They sleep together in the family lot in Grove Hill cemetery, Hanoverton, Ohio. Only two of the family are living at this date: Mrs. Seymour and Mrs. Brown, both of Philadelphia, Pa. ["History of Hanover, Columbiana County, Ohio", 1804-1908 (1908) JH - Sub by FoFG]
Was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, April 9, 1829, and came to this county with his parents, Kinsey and Hannah (March) Robinson, in 1840. His father was born February 11, 1798, and his mother July 21, 1804. Mary C. Titus became the wife of Samuel Robinson, in Gallia county, Ohio, April 9, 1857. She is a daughter of Leonard and Maria (Becker) Titus, and was born in Onondaga county, New York, February 17, 1831. Her father was born March 24, 1791, and her mother June 3, 1805, they settling in Gallia county in 1835. The children of Mr. Robinson are: Flora H., born June 1, 1858; Elmer H., September 29, 1861; J. Titus, May 23, 1864; Joseph M., June 27, 1866. They all reside in: Morgan township. To show the respect in which Mr. Robinson is held by his neighbors, it is only necessary to state that he has filled the office of assessor nine years, township clerk three years, and justice of the peace fifteen years. He is engaged in farming, his land being located in Morgan township. His postoffice address is Eno, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882. - Tr. by A. Parks]
William Y. Rowles
Was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, July 2, 1838, and settled in Gallia county in 1876. His parents are Elisha and Susan (Young) Rowles. Malinda, daughter of Wilson and Betsey (Davis) Liston, was married to William Rowles, in Gallia county, December 26, 1863. She was born in Vinton County, Ohio, February 28, 1836. The following are her children: Laura H., born September 23, 1864; Frank L., July 31, 1866; Ellen, May 6, 1868; John E., April 27, 1872. They all reside in Morgan township. Mr. Rowles was drafted during the late war. He was assigned to Company F, 43d Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served eight months, when the war was closed. Mr. Rowles is a merchant, and also postmaster of Rowlesville, Gallia county, where all communications should be addressed. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails