Coshocton County, Ohio
George W. Ankney
George W. Ankney, a resident of Custer county since 1882, has been variously identified with the interests of this region since the time of his arrival, and, principally as an agriculturalist, has accumulated a competence that permits him to pass the evening of life in comfortable circumstances, at his pleasant home at Sargent. He is a native of Coshocton, Ohio, and was born September 10, 1830, being a son of Joseph and Abbie (Brown) Ankney.
Joseph Ankney was born in Pennsylvania, but in young manhood pushed toward the west, locating first in Ohio, where he met and married Miss Abbie Brown, a native of that state, and where he was engaged in farming, in Coshocton county, until 1851. In that year he removed to Jones county, Iowa, which was his home for many years, and thence he went to Mitchell county, Kansas, which was his place of residence for five years. In 1888 he came to Nebraska, and from that time until his death, at the age of eighty-two years, he made his home among his children. He was an industrious man, always alive to opportunity and able to make the most of his chances. He succeeded as an agriculturalist, and as a public spirited and useful citizen of the various communities in which he resided, he was always held in high esteem by his associates. He was a staunch and unwavering Democrat in politics, and he and Mrs. Ankney were faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church. They were the parents of ten children, of whom three survive: Joseph, who married Susan Vananberg, is a retired farmer of Scottsbluff, Nebraska; George W. is the subject of this sketch; and Edward, who married Eliza Pierce, is a retired farmer of Grand Island, Nebraska.
The common schools of Jones county, Iowa, furnished George W. Ankney with his educational training, and his boyhood was passed on his father's farm where, under the elder man's direction, he was taught all the arts and methods pertaining to the vocation of agriculture. At Taylor, Nebraska, he was united in marriage, July 5, 1886 to Mrs. Harriet (Northey) Cummings, widow of James Cummings and daughter of Robert and Ruth (Hall) Northey, natives of Vermont. Mrs. Ankney's parents were farming people who came to Nebraska in 1879 and took up a homestead at Cummings Park, at a time when there were but five families in the vicinity, the nearest postoffice being at Loup City, about forty-five miles away. There Miss Northey met and married James Cummings, a well to do yourng farmer, and he met his death by a fall into a well, this being the only well for miles around.
Mr. Ankney had come to Custer county in 1882 and settled at Cummings Park, where he took up a homestead and where he resided until 1893. At that time, because of failing health, he moved to Burwell, which continued to be his home for thirteen years, rmoval being made to Sargent in 1906. He is accounted one of the well to do and substanial men of his locality, a reliable, dependable citizen who always supports beneficial movements with his influence, means, and energies. he has not cared for public life and is not actively concerned in politics. While still a resident of Vermont, Mrs. Ankney adopted a child of three years, Idella Cummings, whom she reared to young womanhood. This foster daughter then married and moved to Maine. Mr. and Mrs. Ankney adopted a nephew, James Ankney, who was five years old, and reared him until he was sixteen, when he left their home to work for himself; at the time of this writing James Ankney is a member of the national army and is stationed in New Mexico. [Source: "History of Custer Co. Neb", by G.L. Gaston and A.R. Humphrey Lincoln Neb. Western Publishing and Engraving Co., 1919 - MB - Sub by FoFG]
Albert C. Bearss
ALBERT C. BEARSS, a native of Peru (Indiana), was born April 1, 1838, and is the third son of Daniel R. and Emma A. (Cole) Bearss, the sketches of whom appear elsewhere. Receiving his primary education in the city schools of Peru, at the age of 14 he entered the preparatory department of Kenyon College at Gamfier, Ohio, where he pursued the studies of that institution for a period of four years, and then returned to Peru. In 1859 he traveled westward and located in California, where he secured the position of salesman for a firm in the northern part of that State, and in 1862 he returned east as far as Nevada, where he engaged principally in silver mining and politics. In the year 1867 he came back to his native State and established himself in the mercantile business in the town of Rochester, Fulton County, where he continued until 1875, and then again made Peru his home continually since that time, devoting his attention to farming and also to public affairs. During his stay in Nevada he was three times elected to the lower house of the Legislature, and when he returned to Indiana, received the nomination on the Republican ticket for the same position and was elected in 1878, and in 1879, was by his very intimate friend, James N. Tyner, postmaster general, appointed post office inspector, which he filled in a creditable manner until his resignation took place—March, 1885— and since that time has been looking after his farm of 550 acres, situated in Peru township. Mr. Bearss was married to Miss Madeline V. Lamb, of Coshocton, Ohio, March 20, 1867. This union has been blessed with two children, Fannie Emma and Nellie Cole. Our subject is a staunch Republican, and believes in the Jacksonian motto: "To the victors belong the spoils." He was made Chairman of the Republican central committee of Miami county, and at present occupies that position. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ- Sub by FoFG]
George MacCleary Burns
BURNS, George MacCleary, sales agent Railway Steel Spring Co.; born, Coshocton, O., Aug. 25, 1858; son of Joseph and Mary (Johnson) Burns; educated in public schools of Coshocton to fifteen. Entered employ of Pennsylvania Railway as timekeeper, 1876; division storekeeper Texas Pacific R. R., 1881, and chief clerk to general superintendent Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton R. R., 1882-85; Queen & Crescent R. R., at Meriden, Miss., 1885-86, to superintendent same road, at Birmingham, Ala., 1886-91, and at Somerset, Ky.,1891-92;after serving as chief clerk to general manager of the Big Four Road, 1892-93, he filled a similar office under the general manager of the Queen & Crescent R. R., 1893-96. Came to St. Louis, 1896, as fuel agent Wabash Railroad Co., also chief clerk to vice president and general manager; superintendent Wabash Road at Detroit, Mich., 1900-06; then returned to St. Louis and has since acted as sales agent of the Railway Steel Spring Co.; also director Wagner Mercantile Co. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason (32°). Clubs: St. Louis, Missouri Athletic, Mercantile, Algonquin. Recreation: golf. Office: 1405, 915 Olive 8t. Residence: 5897 Washington Ave. [Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]
J. D. Elliot
J.D. ELLIOTT, a native of Coshocton County, Ohio, was born July 19, 1866. His parents were Bartley and Prudene Elliott. He was married to Lulu E Anderson, December 30, 1891. She is a daughter of Martin and Sarah A Anderson, of Chariton, Iowa. They have three children: Burl D, born January 20, 1896; Grace E, August 16, 1899; Vera May, September 04, 1902. Moving to Iowa with his parents when three years old, he lived there and followed farming till 1901, when he moved to this county and bought his present farm. It is situated four miles east of Kirksville and consists of 120 acres. He is a breeder of Poland-China hogs and Shorthorn cattle. His farm is known as Fairview Stock Farm. Mr. Elliott is a Republican. [Source: "A History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911), DR - Sub by FoFG]
Ezra H. Lynde
Ezra H. Lynde, tinner; Main street, Coshocton, Ohio; was born April 23, 1823, in Dunkirk, New York; son of William R. Lynde, American born, of French descent; raised on a farm until fourteen years of age, when he went to Newark, and, at the age of sixteen, entered Granville college, where he remained eighteen months; learned his present trade with Chancy Humphrey. After completing his apprenticeship, he worked for his brother in Newark three years; also worked three years in St. Louis, Missouri; after working in other places, and after leaving St. Louis on account of the cholera, came to this place, in 1849, and followed daguerreotyping one year, then returned to his present trade, establishing his business in the present location, in 1852. In 1855, he moved to Burlington, Iowa, where he followed his business about three years, then returned to the place he left in 1852, and is now doing a good business. He was married, September 18, 1854, to Miss Anna Ransom, daughter of Alonzo Ransom, of this place. They have had three children, viz: Francis, deceased; Charles E., deceased, and William R. [source: Hill, H. N., History of Coshocton County, Ohio: Its past and present, 1740-1881: containing a comprehensive history of Ohio, a complete history of Coshocton County, its townships, towns, villages, schools, churches, societies, industries, statistics, etc., a history of its soldiers in the late war, portraits of its early settlers and prominent men, views of its finest buildings and various historic and interesting localities, miscellaneous matter, map of the county, biographies and histories of pioneer families, etc., etc., etc.. Newark, Ohio: A. A. Graham and Co., 1881.) (submitted by Ida Maack Recu)
Richmond, John, Oxford township; merchant and farmer; post office, Evansburgh, Ohio; son of Edward and Martha (Nott) Richmond; was born March 1, 1817, in Salina, New York. He came to this state with his parents in 1822 and located in Morgan county. His parents formerly came from Vermont. While in Salina his father was engaged in the salt trade. He also sold goods. After they came to Morgan county he was engaged in the carpenter trade. Mr. Richmond came to this county with his parents in June 1824, and located on the banks of the Walhonding six miles above Roscoe. In 1826, they moved to Roscoe. Mr. Richmond's father was engaged as a stone-cutter, and boarded hands engaged in the construction of the Walhonding canal. In June, 1828 the family moved to Oxford township and engaged in the building of the Ohio canal. Mrs. Richmond's mother died in March, 1829. His father kept tavern and a station on the Ohio canal from that time up to his death in 1846.
Mrs. Richmond was married March 3, 1836 to Miss Elizabeth Reed, of this county. They became the parents of six children, viz: Catherine A., George U., John E., Mary E., James J. and William H. Mr. Richmond had followed boating from his boyhood until he married. He then purchased a boat and followed boating for fifteen years During that time he was also engaged in the dry goods and grain business. In April 1850, Mr. Richmond started on an overland journey to California, as captain of a company of fifteen men. They were on the road four months and fifteen days. While in California he was engaged in mining and trading. He returned by vessel July 5, 1852, via Panama. Mrs. Richmond died in February 1852. He married November 28, 1852 Miss Elizabeth Higbee, daughter of J. C. Higbee, Esq. They became the parents of five children, Viz: Elizabeth N., Jesse F., Charles H., Francis A., and Lottie C. His wife died in June 1864. His third marriage took place in January 1865 to Mary J. McClain, of this county. Mr. Richmond has been engaged in farming and mercantile business. He has amassed a fortune. Staring in the world a poor boy, meeting reverses after reverses, he nevertheless by his own honest labor accumulated a fortune. He has always worked hard, and has been regarded as honest and upright in his dealings, thereby gaining the esteem of all who knew him. He operates largely in grain and wool. He owns a splendid farm of over 600 acres, a dry goods store, a ware-house, and town property in the town of Orange. Mr. Richmond had two sons who served In he rebellion. James J. was a member of Company C., Fifty-first Regiment, O. V. I. He died at Green Lake, Texas and was buried there. John E. was a member of Company H. Eighty-eighth Regiment, O.V. I. He served three months, and was then discharged on account of sickness.
[SOURCE: History of Coshocton County, Ohio 1740-1881- Biographical Sketches. p-774 - Submitted by Dale White]
Thomas L. Rue
Thomas L. Rue, appointed as clerk of the court in 1811, and candidate for the legislature in 1814, was the oldest son of Rev. Joseph Rue, of Pennington, New Jersey-a well known Presbyterian minister. He came to Coshocton county in 1811; a littler later went to New Orleans, coming back the overland route. He married Miss Fulton, and for some years gave himself to the management of a large tract of land (since known as the Rickett's lands) near Coshocton, acquired by that alliance. Afterward he was engaged in trade with C. Van Kirk. He died in Roscoe, February 17, 1871 (aged eight-eight years), at the house of Dr. M. Johnson, who has married his only child. He was a brother of Joseph W. Rue. ["Historical Collections of Coshocton County, Ohio", 1876 - SW - Sub by FoFG]
Abraham Sells was for more than half a century a resident of Coshocton county. His father's family located very early in the century near New Comerstown. Abraham learned his trade of cabinet making at Marietta, and set up in Coshocton in 1814. he was for some time a justice of the peace, and also coroner of the county. He died September 22, 1869, in his seventy-sixth year. His widow, now about his age at death, resides in Coshocton with her son B.F. Sells. ["Historical Collections of Coshocton county, Ohio", 1876 - SW - Sub by FoFG]
DR. W. B. SQUIRE, Worthington, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, January 17, 1830, a son of Samuel and Jane (Stilwell) Squire, who were natives respectively of Vermont and West Virginia. Both sides of the family are of English extraction, their advent in America dating previous to the Revolutionary war. The Stilwells first settled on, Staten Island and the Squires in Vermont. Members of each family served in the early Indian wars, and also in both wars with Great Britain. In 1813, Bradley Squire removed with his family from Vermont to Coshocton County, Ohio, where he embarked in agricultural pursuits and passed the remainder of his days. This man was the father of Samuel Squire, and grandfather of Dr. W. B. Squire, of Worthington. Samuel Squire was a farmer throughout life, and to him and wife were born four sons and four daughters.. Both he and wife are now dead. W. B. Squire was raised on a farm, his early years being passed in the common schools, and at the age of sixteen years he began his career as a public instructor. When eighteen years old, he began the study of medicine, and in February, 1856, graduated from the Cincinnati School of Medicine. In the meantime (1855), he had come to Greene County, Ind., located where Jasonville now is, and, laying out that village, named it in honor of Jason Rodgers, a merchant of the place. In July, 1861, he helped recruit what afterward became Company F, Thirty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but after serving about seven months he was compelled to resign his commission on account of illness. In 1863, he re-enlisted, and was made Surgeon of the Fourteenth Regiment, which position he held until the close of the war. He had moved to Worthington in 1862, and on his return from the army began the practice of medicine, at which he has ever since continued to a greater or less extent. In 1871, he embarked in the drug trade, and in addition to this he opened a dry goods store in 1877, and in both branches of trade is doing a first-class business. Dr. Squire and Miss Rebecca J. Thrasher were married in 1852, and four children blessed them--Azubia J., Samuel F., E. Byrd and Ida May The mother was a native of Clark County, Ohio, and her death occurred in Greene County, Ind., in 1871. Mrs. Hattie A. Walker became Mrs. Dr. Squire in 1872, and Ethel L. is the only child burn to this union. Mrs. Squire was born at New tonville, Mass., in 1841. Dr. Squire has always voted the Whig and Republican tickets, but has never aspired to any political prominence, preferring to confine his entire attention to private business matters. He is a Mason and a K. of P., and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: History of Greene and Sullivan Counties, state of Indiana: from the earliest time to the present, together with interesting biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. Chicago: Goodspeed Bros. & Co., 1884]
John J. Whirl
WHIRL, John J.; born, Coshocton, O- July 30, 186o; son of John and Annie (Sweeney) Whirl; educated in schools of Kankakee Co., Ill.; married at Chicago, Oct. 9, 1884, Emma Sparks. Came to Detroit, 1898, with the Ideal Manufacturing Co., in charge of gas stove department, remaining until October, 1902; in December, 1902, became secretary Employers' Association of Detroit, which started with sixteen members and now has over 300; commissioner Builders' Association. Republican. Member Board of Commerce. Mason (Dearborn Lodge and Palestine Council, Chicago), Knight Templar . (Chevalier Bayard Commandery, Chicago). Club: Detroit Golf. Recreation: Golf. Office: Stevens Bldg. Residence: I 13 Palmer Av., E. ["The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]