BAHMER, Lewis E.

Lewis E. Bahmer, who lives in New Philadelphia, was born in Bakersville, this county, March 1, 1875, a son of Valentine and Elizabeth (Schweitzer) Bahmer. He is of German lineage, his grandparents on both sides of the family having come to America direct from the fatherland, the two families settling in Bucks township, Tuscarawas county, Ohio. Here Valentine Bahmer, the father of our subject, was born June 11, 1841, while the birth of the mother occurred May 16, 1844. The father was a shoemaker by trade, an occupation which he followed in his youth in various cities of Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee. He as also a veteran of the Civil war, having served in Company K, Fifty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry from October 13, 1862, until September, 1863, when he received his discharge. On January 3, 1862, he wed Elizabeth Schweitzer, and in 1869 the young couple took up their residence in Bakersville, where they continued to reside thereafter. The father passed away July 1, 1908, ightly esteemed and respected by all who knew him. They became the parents of eight children, namely: Phoebe, the wife of Dr. J.D. Lower, of Coshocton; Charlie V., a resident of Baltimore; William, deceased; Lewis E., a resident of Adams township; Alfred F., deceased; Harry J., who resides in Columbus; Carrie B., who is a twin sister of Harry J., and the wife of Rev. D.S. Carpenter, of Conesville; and Mayme, who resides at home with her mother.

Lewis E. Bahmer received his education in the district schools, which he attended regularly throughout the school year while in the primary grades, but when he reached an age sufficient to be of assistance to the father on his farm his attendance was necessarily somewhat irregular, being confined to those months of the year when farming operations were suspended. When he became of age he worked for his father for two years on the farm, after which he began farming for himself, renting from his father the place which he now owns. He engaged in a general farming and met with marked success, so that ultimately he was able to secure title to his present home, in addition to which he owns eleven acres of land in Tuscarawas county.

On October 7, 1900, Mr. Bahmer was married to Miss Clara Partz, who was born in Bucks township, Tuscarawas county, Ohio, October 10, 1879. She is the daughter of Andrew and Margaret (Regula) Partz, both of whom were natives of Tuscarawas county, where the father was born September 3, 1848, and the mother July 4, 1851. They still reside there on a fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres which they own. Six children were born to their union, namely: C.A., a medical practitioner of Baltic, Ohio; Clara, the wife of our subject; Milton F., who is attending school at Springfield, Ohio; Edwin D. and Adela A., both of whom are engaged in teaching school and reside at home with their parents; and Edward, who is deceased. Mr and Mrs. Bahmer now have three children, Starling P., who was born November 13, 1901; Margaret, who was born March 7, 1904; and Leonora J., who was born August 8, 1906.

In politics Mr. Bahmer is a stalwart democrat, never swerving in his allegiance to the party, for he believes that the principles of the organization contain the best elements of good government. Fraternally, he is a member of Bakersville Camp, No 5216, M.W.A., and religiously, both he and his estimable wife are member of the English Lutheran church. Mr. Bahmer occupies a leading position in the ranks of Coshocton county's younger citizens and is popular with a host of friends.

[Source: "Centennial History of Coshocton County", Vol1; Bahmer, William J.; pub. 1909, S.J. Clarke & Co — BT - Sub by FoFG]


BALCH, George

George Balch who is engaged in general farming and sheep-raising in White Eyes township, where he owns and operates a good farm of one hundred and sixty acres, was born in Clay township, Knox county, Ohio, May 4, 1838. His parents were John W. and Malinda (Hull) Balch, the former a native of the state of New York and the latter of Ohio. His death occurred in the year 1873, while his wife, who survived him for twenty years, died in 1893.

George Balch was reared under the parental roof and was early trained to habits of industry and economy. His mental discipline was received in the public schools and when he started out in life on his own account he was employed as a sawyer, but has since been successful as a carpenter, millwright and farmer. He arrived in Coshocton county in 1852 and has remained here continuously since, with the exception of the years 1865, 1866 and 1867, spending that period in Missouri. Upon his return to this county he engaged in the lumber business for a short time and then bought a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in White Eyes township, making his home thereon for two years. On the expiration of that period he sold the property and removed to Coshocton, where he lived for six months, after which he bought the farm upon which he now resides. It is an excellent tract of land of one hundred and twelve acres located not far from Fresno in White Eyes township. It is well adapted to the raising of the various cereals and the fields annually bring forth good crops for the plowing, planting and cultivating are carried on in a progressive manner in harmony with the most modern methods of farm work. In addition to tilling the soil Mr Balch also raises sheep and derives considerable income from this branch of the business.

In September, 1865, occurred the marriage of Mr Balch and Miss Nancy J. Boyd, who was born in Keene township, this county, in 1837, a daughter of John and Bessie (Tony) Boyd, who were natives of Ireland. Their family numbered five children, while unto Mr. and Mrs Balch have been born eight children, the second of whom died in infancy. The eldest child, Charles, is also deceased. Emma L., and Eva M. are twins. The former is now the wife of E.E.Reames, while the latter has passed away. Nannie E. is at home. The next three children were triplets--John, Laura M. and Leola Jane. The first two named are upon the old farm, which John is engaged in operating, and Leola Jane is now the wife of J.R. McClary, of West Lafayette, Ohio. The death of Mrs Balch occurred in December, 1907, her husband and five children being left to mourn her loss. Her remains are laid to rest in the Lewisville cemetery and her death was deeply regretted by many friends who knew her as a most estimable lady and a loving and devoted wife and mother. She was a faithful member of Presbyterian church, to which Mr Balch also belongs. He is a member of the Grange, and in politics is an earnest republican, with firm faith in the princilples of the party. He has served as township trustee and for several terms has been a member of the school board, in which connection he has rendered valuable service to the cause of public education. For more than half a century he has lived in this county and has been replaced by the evidence of modern civilization. He has always kept in touch with the trend of the times in agricultural progress and has ever been interested in what the county has accomplished in other lines. He is recognized as a man of genuine worth, in whom any one may safely trust, for his life has been guided by high principles and characterized by manly conduct.

[Source: "Centennial History of Coshocton County", Vol1; Bahmer, William J.; pub. 1909, S.J. Clarke & Co — BT - Sub by FoFG]


BEARSS, Albert C.

ALBERT C. BEARSS, a native of Peru (Indiana), was born April 1, 1838, and is the third son of Daniel R. and Emma A. (Cole) Bearss, the sketches of whom appear elsewhere. Receiving his primary education in the city schools of Peru, at the age of 14 he entered the preparatory department of Kenyon College at Gamfier, Ohio, where he pursued the studies of that institution for a period of four years, and then returned to Peru. In 1859 he traveled westward and located in California, where he secured the position of salesman for a firm in the northern part of that State, and in 1862 he returned east as far as Nevada, where he engaged principally in silver mining and politics. In the year 1867 he came back to his native State and established himself in the mercantile business in the town of Rochester, Fulton County, where he continued until 1875, and then again made Peru his home continually since that time, devoting his attention to farming and also to public affairs. During his stay in Nevada he was three times elected to the lower house of the Legislature, and when he returned to Indiana, received the nomination on the Republican ticket for the same position and was elected in 1878, and in 1879, was by his very intimate friend, James N. Tyner, postmaster general, appointed post office inspector, which he filled in a creditable manner until his resignation took place—March, 1885— and since that time has been looking after his farm of 550 acres, situated in Peru township. Mr. Bearss was married to Miss Madeline V. Lamb, of Coshocton, Ohio, March 20, 1867. This union has been blessed with two children, Fannie Emma and Nellie Cole. Our subject is a staunch Republican, and believes in the Jacksonian motto: "To the victors belong the spoils." He was made Chairman of the Republican central committee of Miami county, and at present occupies that position.

["History of Miami County, Indiana:From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ — Sub by FoFG]


BROWN, Wiliam

Wm. Brown was for eighteen years, from 1822 to 1840, a merchant and general business man in West Carlisle, of which town he was one of the original proprietors. He was born in Franklin county, Pennyslvania; spent a few years, before coming to Coshocton county, at St Clairsville, Belmont county. His parents were from Germany spelling their name Braun. His wife was Scotch-Irish. By the combination of the virtues of the two races, the Browns won for themselves a great consideration in their neighborhood, and, thought starting in their wedded life with very little, amassed quite a respectable fortune. Mr. Brown was for many years a justice of the peace and postmaster under Monroe, J.Q. Adams, Jackson, and Van Buren, although he was a very decided Adams and Clay man. He was an excellent horseman, and skilled in the use of the rifle, and these things helped him greatly in the state of society found in his day in the region of West Carlisle. In public movements and proper sports, he was never lacking, and was often recognized as a leader, and made the object of a good deal of "backwoods homage."

And yet, with all his activity in business and interest in the social life of the people, Mr Brown is represented as having been a very earnest and faithful man in his religious duties. Family worship was on no excuse intermitted; the Sabbath was sacredly regarded; and when, as before and after a communion in the church, there was preaching, the store was shut, although he loved business, and avowed his intention to give himself steadily to it, and to make money for his family. His house was the "minister's hold," and he was one of the most active members of the Presbyterian church from its organization, contributing largely of his means to it, and expecially in the erection of the building still in use by the congregation.

In 1840, he removed to Logansport, Indiana, and there died March 4, 1859. His wife, inheriting a considerable estate from her father, gave it all to foreign missio ns. One of his sons, Wm. L. Brown, Acting Brigadier-General of the Indiana Infantry, was killed at the second battle of Bull Run. Three sons became Presbyterian ministers. J.C., who died while pastor at Valparaiso, Indiana; Hugh A. was a missionary to China, and has been for many years pastor of a church in Virginia; and Frederick T. (the only child born in Coshocton county, and who even yet glories in being a Buckeye), who had charge of a church in Cleveland, then of one in Alexandria, D.C., then was in St. Paul, Minn., and is now in Ann Arbor, Mich.

["Historical Collection of Coshocton County, Ohio 1764-1876" William E Hunt; Cincinnati, Robert Clark & CO: printers, 1876 — Submitted by FOFG]


BURNS, George MacCleary

BURNS, George MacCleary, sales agent Railway Steel Spring Co.; born, Coshocton, O., Aug. 25, 1858; son of Joseph and Mary (Johnson) Burns; educated in public schools of Coshocton to fifteen. Entered employ of Pennsylvania Railway as timekeeper, 1876; division storekeeper Texas Pacific R. R., 1881, and chief clerk to general superintendent Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton R. R., 1882-85; Queen & Crescent R. R., at Meriden, Miss., 1885-86, to superintendent same road, at Birmingham, Ala., 1886-91, and at Somerset, Ky.,1891-92;after serving as chief clerk to general manager of the Big Four Road, 1892-93, he filled a similar office under the general manager of the Queen & Crescent R. R., 1893-96. Came to St. Louis, 1896, as fuel agent Wabash Railroad Co., also chief clerk to vice president and general manager; superintendent Wabash Road at Detroit, Mich., 1900-06; then returned to St. Louis and has since acted as sales agent of the Railway Steel Spring Co.; also director Wagner Mercantile Co. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason (32°). Clubs: St. Louis, Missouri Athletic, Mercantile, Algonquin. Recreation: golf. Office: 1405, 915 Olive 8t. Residence: 5897 Washington Ave.

[Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912. — Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]


BURNS, John

John Burns was born in Waynesburg, Augusta county, Virginia, in the year 1807. He moved with his father's family to New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas county, in 1815, and in April, 1816, they moved to Coshocton county, as has been detailed in connection with the sketchof his brother, Joseph Burns. He remained with his father until 1828, when he went to Chillocothe as a clerk with his brother-in-law, John Smeltzer, and remained there one year. He then came to Roscoe, and clerked in the dry-goods store of John Smeltzer and his successors (Medbery & Ransom) until 1838, when he became a member of the firm, under the name of Medbery, Burns, & Co. In 1840 he dissolved his connection with Medbery, and formed a connection with Samuel Moffitt for the sale of dry-goods, under the firm name of Burns & Moffitt. He continued in said firm until 1845. when Moffitt retired, and the firm was changed to Burns & Retilley, and remained so until 1860, when he bought Retilly out, and continued in business in his own name until his death. He died July 31, 1871, aged sixty-four years.

His good sense and integrity were marked qualities. Thoroughly interested in public affairs, and always a zealous partison, and ready to help his friends to office, he never had any desires in that direction for himself, and it is believed never held any official position. He was a painstaking and successful business and family man.

["Historical Collection of Coshocton County, Ohio 1764-1876" William E Hunt; Cincinnati, Robert Clark & CO: printers, 1876 — Submitted by FOFG]


BURNS, Joseph

Joseph Burns. — His father, Samuel Burns, removed from Waynesburg, Augusta county, Virginia (where Joseph was born), to Ohio, in 1815. The family were about a year in New Philadelphis, and then came down the river in a pirogue, or large canoe, to Coshocton, making their location in this county in 1816. Joseph was at that time about sixteen years old, having been born March 11, 1800. Favored by nature with a good appearance and great affability of manner, and bing skille din the art of penmanship, he was soon a young man of note in the neighborhood. His first appearance in public capacity was probably in 1818, when he served as clerk at an election in Tuscarawas township, at which his father was one of th ejudges. In 1821 he was run by his friends for the office of auditor, and perhaps that time and one afterward, when he ran for a second term in Congress, were the only occasions in which he did not secure the coveted position. This work, unde the heads of "County Officers" and "Relations to State and National Governments," will show the offices of public sort filled by him. Except a brief period in his youth spent in farming, and other in his maturer life spent in keeping a drug-store, his whole active life of more than fifty years was spent in public work. Never very exacting as to fees, and always free with his purse among friends and fellow citizens, he laft at the end of his days only a moderate portion. Many men with more of green, or less honest or frugal in general habits, would have amassed great wealth with his opportunities. The affection of the large Virginia and Maryland elements in the population of the county for him was something worthy of study. The stock of which he came was the old Scotch-Irish, so largely prominent in the whole history of the country. His parents were Presbyterians, and his philosophy and faith partook of the old Covenanter east. He always had some taste fo military affairs, and was a major-general of the militia.

He was twice married—his first wife was Rebecca Price, and his second was Mrs. Alex. Hay. One of his sons was educated at West Point, and was during the war a brigadier-general, and another was clerk of the United States District Court of Iowa for some years. He had in all six sons and two daughters, and these with his widow survive him.

His later days were rendered distressful by the nature of his disease—dropsy of the chest; but he continued, until with a few hours of his death, to transact at this home such of the business of his office (that or probate judge) as must receive his personal attention. Rising from his bed, and essaying to take a few steps, he sank to the floor, and in a moment was done with the burdens and honors of life, which he had received so largely and borne so bravely. He was a little more than a month beyond his seventy-fifth year.

["Historical Collection of Coshocton County, Ohio 1764-1876" William E Hunt; Cincinnati, Robert Clark & CO: printers, 1876 — Submitted by FOFG]


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS!