LEE, Samuel

Dr. Samuel Lee wsa for more than sixty years a resident of Coshocton, He was born, and spent his boyhood, on a farm near Pultney, Vt. Having studied medicine at Castleton, Vt., he came to Ohio in 1809 on invitation of, and along with, Rev. Timothy Harris, of Granville, Licking county, who was then minister of the church of Granville, and had gone to visit his friends in the east, and act as a sort of emigration agent. The trip to Ohio was made on Horseback. The Doctor was always specially interested in horses, and one remarked that the first thing he ever owned was a horse, and he guessed it would be the last thing he would give up. After he had been in Granville about two years )in which time he married Miss Sabra Case, who was an help-meet indeed, and who preceded him to the grave some three years), he came to Coshocton on the hunt of an estrayed or stolen horse. The town was then a mere hamlet, and wanted a physician, and he removed at once. Practice was then no play. A ride of forty miles in visiting a patient was of common occurrence. The perils and exposures of the new country gave the Doctor plenty of work, and his originally vigorous consitution and active habits were heavily taxed, and drafts made upon them bearing heavily upon his later years. For years before his death he was much crippled and very hard of hearing. He died at the house of his son, Dr. S.H. Lee, on the 19th of March, 1874, having completed within four days his eighty-ninth year.

Dr. Lee had undoubted adaptations for his time and place. The roughness and freedom and economy of pioneer life did not misfit him. He was very genial; could tell a good story, and crack a joke with the jolliest of the men and women of his day. He used to tell with zest how he had taken aback some old ladies who had been summoned to attend a young unmarried woman who had been "unfortunate," and was then in straits, by proposing very gravely "a corn poultice," a favorite application of that day, and pretending that he did not understand the case being misled by the fact that the woman was an unmarried one.

His patriotism and philanthropy are pleasant things in remembrance of his friends. Although holding public office but twice—that of county treasurer in very early days, and that of State senator in 1826-27—he was always interested in public affairs. While an intense hater of the system of slavery, he was anything but bitter to those who were entangled, by their birth and surroundings, in that system. There are abundant evidences of his friendly disposition in his readiness to go on their offical bonds, and otherwise stand for his neighbors. His conscientiousness and diligence in his profession none have questioned. He had a quick-wittedness and strong common sense that often stood in lieu of profundity of attainment. Among those whith whom he had to do, he could, with a lancet and a little calomel, and jalap and a corn poultice, effect all that many now-a-days can do with the nicer instrumental appliances and ample furnished apothecary shops. He was not what might be called a scholarly man, but always the friend of intelligence. The first school-house built in Coshocton was on a site granted to Dr. Lee and his associates. By industry and economy he always lived comfortably, and at his death left a considerable portion.

He really reared two sets of children—his own and those of his daughter who married Robert M. Lamb—beside having some care over the children of another daughter, Mrs. Jamieson.

The Doctor, at an early day, owned almost the entire square bounded by Fourth, Fifth, Main, and Walnut streets. He had a farm just east of town; but this residence was for the most of his life in the brick house at corner of Fourth and Main streets.

His shrewdness and strict honesty in business transactions were prominet features in his character. His creditors were generally few, and debtors many.

Before leaving his New England home, Dr. Lee openly committed himself to the service of God, and espoused the religion that stood him in stead unto the last.

For adherence to his convictions of duty in a religious way, he was well known; and in exhibiting gave and bore much. For thirty-five years he was an elder in the Presbyterian church.

Feeble in body and failing in mind, for some time in latest years, he never forgot the Bible and his family worship, and wanted to be reckoned a child of God.

["Historical Collection of Coshocton County, Ohio 1764-1876" William E Hunt; Cincinnati, Robert Clark & CO: printers, 1876 — Submitted by FOFG]



LENNON, Anthony

LENNON Anthony, farmer; Tuscarawas township ; postoffice. Canal Lewisville ; born May, 27, 1836, and brought up on the farm which he now owns. His father, "James, was a native of Kildare county, Ireland; his mother, Keziah Thompson, was daughter of Samuel, and granddaughter of James Thompson, who was a revolutionary soldier. She was born April 13, 1809, in Ashtabula county, the same year. Anthony was married January 28, 1860, to Miss Emily, daughter of William and Lydia (Butler) McGiffin, of Keene township. This union has been blessed with one child, Carrie Rose.

["History of Coshocton County, Ohio:...",[1]; Hill, N.N.; pub. 1881, A.A. Graham & Co — BT - Sub by FoFG]


LYBARGER E. L.

LYBARGER E. L., Monroe township; born September 27, 1841, in Wayne county, Ohio; son of James T. and Amelia (Crum) Lybarger, and grandson of Andrew Lybarger, who came to Coshocton county from Pennsylvania in 1808, and settled in the town of Coshocton. He was a soldier under Captains Harris and Williams, and was under Hull at the time of his surrender. His great-grandfather, James Thompson, was a revolutionary soldier, and also a pioneer settler of Coshocton county. Mr. Lybarger was born in Blatchlysville, Wayne county, and lived there till the age of four years, when his parents moved to Millford, Knox county, where he lived till 1861, excepting two years he lived at Danville. He enlisted in Company K, Forty-third Regiment, O.V.I., under Captain Walker and Colonel J. L. Kirby Smith. The battles he participated in are as follows: Capture of New Madrid, Island No. 10, Ft. Pillow, first battle of Corinth, luka, second battle of Corinth, Vicksburg, Dalton, Resaca, Kennesaw Mountain, the capture of Atlanta, Pokataligo, Salkehatchie, Bentonville, Columbia, and the surrender of Joe Johnson at Raleigh. He was mustered out July 18, 1866, at Louisville, Kentucky. Mr. Lybarger enlisted as a private, and gradually rose in rank till he became captain. After the close of the war he returned home and . pursued the study of law two years; then engaged in the mercantile business at Spring Mountain, where he has continued ever since. He was married to Miss S. W. Rodgers, in January, 1866, daughter of Dr. and Catharine (Hawn) Rodgers, of Millwood, and granddaughter of John Hawn, who was a settler of Knox county, and also a wealthy man. Mr. and Mrs. Lybarger are of Irish and German descent.

["History of Coshocton County, Ohio:...",[1]; Hill, N.N.; pub. 1881, A.A. Graham & Co — BT - Sub by FoFG]


LYNDE, Ezra H.

Ezra H. Lynde, tinner; Main street, Coshocton, Ohio; was born April 23, 1823, in Dunkirk, New York; son of William R. Lynde, American born, of French descent; raised on a farm until fourteen years of age, when he went to Newark, and, at the age of sixteen, entered Granville college, where he remained eighteen months; learned his present trade with Chancy Humphrey. After completing his apprenticeship, he worked for his brother in Newark three years; also worked three years in St. Louis, Missouri; after working in other places, and after leaving St. Louis on account of the cholera, came to this place, in 1849, and followed daguerreotyping one year, then returned to his present trade, establishing his business in the present location, in 1852. In 1855, he moved to Burlington, Iowa, where he followed his business about three years, then returned to the place he left in 1852, and is now doing a good business. He was married, September 18, 1854, to Miss Anna Ransom, daughter of Alonzo Ransom, of this place. They have had three children, viz: Francis, deceased; Charles E., deceased, and William R.

[source: Hill, H. N., History of Coshocton County, Ohio: Its past and present, 1740-1881: containing a comprehensive history of Ohio, a complete history of Coshocton County, its townships, towns, villages, schools, churches, societies, industries, statistics, etc., a history of its soldiers in the late war, portraits of its early settlers and prominent men, views of its finest buildings and various historic and interesting localities, miscellaneous matter, map of the county, biographies and histories of pioneer families, etc., etc., etc.. Newark, Ohio: A. A. Graham and Co., 1881. — submitted by Ida Maack Recu]


1. Hill, N. N. (Norman Newell); Graham, A. A. (Albert Adams), 1848-; History of Coshocton County, Ohio: its past and present, 1740-1881. Containing a comprehensive history of Ohio; a complete history of Coshocton County ... a history of its soldiers in the late war ... biographies and histories of pioneer families, etc; 1881, A.A. Graham & Co
PUBLISHER'S NOTE: All matter contained in these sketches has been obtained directly from families or individuals cognizant of the facts contained in them. Being thus obtained, those furnishing the information are alone responsible for the facts and dates written. The publishers do not hold themselves responsible for any statements found in them.


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Valid CSS!