**not a complete list**
Latitude 40.299N - Longitude -81.836W.
Keene and Tuscarawas township
Canal Lewisville lies partly in Keene and partly in Tuscarawas township. The dividing line passes diagonally through the plat, leaving the larger portion of it, and almost entirely the occupied part, in Tuscarawas township. It lies in the beautiful Tuscarawas valley, a short distance north of the river. The Ohio canal passes through the village, and gave rise to its location and growth. It was laid out by the county surveyor, James Ravenscraft, July 2, 1932, Solomon Vail and Thomas B. Lewis being the proprietors. Their expectations of its rapid development were genuine, if the size of the plat be any indication. It contained 220 lots, besides a number of outlets.
[Source: "History of Coshocton, Ohio", 1881 — Sub by FoFG]
West Carlisle, the only village in the township, lies a half mile from the northern line, near the center of section 2. It is one of the oldest villages in the county, having been laid out in August, 1817. The proprietors were John Perkins and John McNabb. Perkins owned the southwest quarter of section 2, and McNabb the northwest quarter of the same section. The town was laid out on the line between the two quarter sections. The village was probably named by Perkins, who is said to have been from Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in honor of his old home. The original plat included thirty-four lots, but during the same year, 1817, each of the proprietors made a small addition to the town. Further additions were made in 1831, by William Henderson, William Brown and Harmon Anderson.
In 1833, there were two churches, three stores, one tavern, one physician, one tannery, two blacksmith shops, two cabinet-makers, two hatters, one wagon, maker, one carpenter, two shoemaker and two tailor Shops. The population then was 107. In 1880, it was 154.
The leading character in the early history of West Carlisle was William Brown. He was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, and spent his youth in the service of a merchant in St. Clairsville. He came to West Carlisle about 1822, with a small stock of goods, and soon after formed a partnership with a gentleman in Zanesville, and greatly increased his stock. He remained a resident of the village until 1840, and during this time was closely identified with its best interests. "His parents were from Germany, spelling the name Braun. His wife was Scotch-Irish. By the combination of the virtues of the two races, the Browns won for themselves great consideration in their neighborhood, and, though starting in their wedded life with very little, amassed quite a respectable fortune. Mr. Brown was for many years a justice of the peace and postmaster, under Monroe, J. Q. Adams, Jackson and Van Buren, although he was a very decided Adams and Clay man. He was an excellent horseman, and skilled in the use of the rifle, and these things helped him greatly in the state of society found in his day in the region of West Carlisle, In public movements and proper sports he was never lacking, and was often recognized as a leader, and made the object of a good deal of 'backwoods homage,' and yet with all his activity in business and interest in the social life of the people, Mr. Brown is represented as having been a very earnest and faithful man in his religious duties. Family worship was on no excuse intermitted; the Sabbath was sacredly regarded; and when, as before and after a communion in the church, there was preaching, the store was shut, although he loved business, and avowed his intention to give himself steadily to it, and to make money for his family. His house was the minister's hold, and he was one of the most active members of the Presbyterian church from its organization, contributing largely of his means to it. In 1840, he removed to Logansport, Indiana, and there died, March 4, 1859. One of the sons, William L. Brown, acting brigadier general of the Indiana infantry, was killed at the second battle of Bull Hun. Three sons, J. C., Hugh A., and Frederick T., became Presbyterian ministers.
Mr. Brown's was the first store. William Henderson was the first blacksmith.
A directory of the village, for 1881, would reveal the following:
|Two blacksmith shops,two shoe shops and one cabinet shop|
|Dry goods||L. F. Cheney and J. W. Almack|
|Grocery||L. P. White|
|Wagon shop||M. Baird & Son|
|Saddlery||A. T. Pine|
|Physicians||Drs. William Smith and James Edward|
|Carriage manufacturer||G. W. Cooper
This establishment gives employment to seven or eight workmen, and annually builds a large number of carriages and spring wagons
A Baptist church was built in the village about 1845. William and John Dunlap, William Wright and Robert Cochran were leading members. Rev. Waldron was the first minister. The society grew rapidly for a few years and as rapidly declined. About 1850, the building was sold to William McFarland, who, with others converted it into an academy, under the management, at first, of Mr. Gilbert. It was afterward purchased by the school board and is still used as a village school-house. It contains two rooms, both of which are occupied.
West Carlisle, though small, is a stirring village. It is a live, business place and a trading center for many miles around.
[History of Coshocton County, Ohio, 1740-1881, by N.N. Hill, Jr — transcribed by FoFG]«RETURN TOP»