Genealogy Trails History Group - Always Free Always Updating

Cuyahoga County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
part of the Genealogy Trails Family


line
Biographies
line

Eunice E. Gibbs Allyn
Allyn, Mrs. Eunice Eloise Gibbs, author, born in Brecksville, a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. Her father, Dr. Sidney Smith Gibbs, was a native of Schoharie county, N. Y., and her mother, Eunice Lucinda Newberry, was a native of St. Lawrence county, in the same State. Dr. Gibbs was practicing in Brecksville when he married Miss Newberry, who was a cultured and successful teacher. He was a relative of Sidney Smith, and was naturally of a literary turn. Mrs. Gibbs possessed similar talents, and many articles from their pens were published in the press of the day. Their family consisted of four children, of whom Eunice was the third. After various changes of climate in search of health, Dr. Gibbs died in comparatively early manhood, leaving his wife with three young children to provide for. The devoted mother most nobly filled her trust. After his death the family moved from Jackson , Mich. , to Cleveland , Ohio , where Eunice was graduated with honors from the high school. She intended to become a teacher, but her mother dissuaded her and she remained at home, going into society and writing in a quiet way for the local papers. Her articles were signed by various pen-names in order to avoid displeasing one of her brothers, who did not wish to have a "blue-stocking" in the family. Her first published poems appeared in the Cleveland "Plain Dealer," when she was only thirteen years old. Besides composing poems for recitation in school, she often wrote songs, both words and music, when she could not find songs suited to various occasions. In 1873 she was married to Clarence G. Allyn, of Nyack, N. Y. After spending several years at Nyack, New London, Conn., and Auburn, N. Y., they moved to Dubuque, Iowa, where they now live. Mrs. Allyn is a prominent member of the Dubuque Ladies' Literary Union, and for eight years she has served as president of the Dubuque Woman's Christian Temperance Union. She has been connected with the local press at times, and she has also won distinction as an artist. She is a member of the Episcopal Church, is broad in her views, while strictly orthodox, and is an ardent admirer of Oriental philosophy. Before her marriage she gained valuable experience as Washington correspondent of the Chicago " Inter-Ocean," a position which she filled for a year, during which time she also wrote numerous articles for the St. Louis "Globe," the New York "World," and before and since then for various New York, Boston, Indianapolis, Philadelphia and Chicago journals. She is a pointed, incisive writer, and all her work, prose or poetry, has an aim, a central thought. In her own city she has quietly inaugurated many reforms and educational movements, doing the work, not for notoriety, but prompted by her inborn desire to do something towards lifting up humanity.
["American Women, Fifteen Hundred Biographies", Vol 1, Publ. 1897. - MS - Sub by FoFG]

Stanley Benton Beard
Born in Sparta, O., Feb. 26, 1867. Entered Oberlin Seminary in 1891 and graduated in 1894, having been married to Jessie E. Cullery in 1886. After his graduation he preached at Berea until his death Dec. 6, 1897.
[Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8.
Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]


Harry C. Bell

Bell, Harry C., railway official; born, Cleveland, O., (Cuyahoga Co) July 19, 1865; son of Samuel H. and Emily E. (Lankester) Bell; educated in public and high schools, Cleveland; married at Cincinnati, Mar. 22, 1893, Edith May Weeks. Began railway service as clerk in claim department Lake Shore Rd., at Cleveland, June 19 1881, continuing until 1888; in claim department Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati & Indianapolis Rd. (now the Big Four), Cleveland 1888-89, and at Cincinnati, 1889-95; rate clerk same road, 1895-99, chief tariff bureau, 1899-July, 1901; chief clerk freight department Detroit Southern Rd., at Detroit, 1901-04; assistant general freight agent Detroit, Toledo & Ironton R. R., 1904-1907, general freight agent same road since May, 1907. Protestant. Recreation: Fishing. Office: 623 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 684 Brush St.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908; CW - Sub by FoFG]

Newton H. Bolton
BOLTON Newton H, Minneapolis.  Res 1829 2 1/2 st S, office 166 Western av.  Manufacturer.  Born Feb 10, 1839 in Cleveland O, son of Hiram and Gracelia (Shepard) Bolton.  Married Nov 12, 1865 to Mary L Norton.  Educated in common schools and academy at Twinsburg O.  Engaged in farming until 1861; in mechanical business 1861-65; supt of sawmill Omro Wis until 1872: moved to Minneapolis 1872 and engaged in machinery mnfg business; pres Bolton Lath & Shingle Machinery Co 1898 to date. ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]


William Henry Brace
Brace, William Henry, teas and coffees; born, Cleveland, O., (Cuyahoga Co) Apr. 3, 1833; son of William and Lucy (Reynolds) Brace; educated in public schools and Janesville (Wis.) Academy, graduating, 1852; married, Sinclairville, N.Y., Mary Edmunds. Began active career, 1855, in wholesale grocery of W. Phelps & Bro., Detroit; became partner in the house, 1862, incorporated, 1886, and was president of Phelps, Brace & Co. until 1907, when the business was disposed of to Lee, Cady & Smart. President W. W. Krag Co., importers of tea and coffee, Standard Pure Food Co.; director Detroit White Lead Works, Michigan Wire Cloth Co., Michigan Mutual Life Insurance co. Was member of the Detroit Light Guard for 7 years. Republican. Methodist. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason. Club: Old Club. Recreations: Boating, fishing and baseball. Office: 43 Jefferson Av., W. Residence: 132 Bagg St.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908; CW - Sub by FoFG]

Roy F. Britton
BRITTON, Roy Frank, lawyer; born, Cleveland, O., Mar. 18, 1881; son of Frank Hamilton and Ida Frances (Freeman) Britton; educated public schools and University of Michigan; LL.B. Law Department, University of Michigan, 1902, LL.M., 1903; unmarried. Admitted to Michigan bar, Jan. 21, 1902, and to Missouri bar, January, 1904; engaged in automobile business with brother Robert F. Britton, as secretary and treasurer A. L. Dyke Automobile Supply Co., the first concern of its kind in America, 1904-05; began practice of law, 1905; assistant general attorney St. Louis Southwestern Railway Co. (Cotton Belt Route) since 1906. Elected member Missouri House of Representatives from Second District of St. Louis Co., 1910, and served on Judiciary, Roads and Highways and Clerical Force committees of the House in Forty-sixth General Assembly; secured passage of Motor Vehicle Act, 1907. Republican. Congregationalism Member American, Missouri and St. Louis Bar associations, American Automobile Association (director), Sons of Revolution. Mason; member Tuscan Lodge No. 360, A. F. & A. M.; St. Louis Chapter No. 8, Royal Arch Masons; Ascalon Commandery, Knights Templar; also member St. Louis Lodge No. 9, B. P. O. Elks. Secretary and treasurer, 1906-07, vice president, 1910-11, president, 1911-12, Automobile Club of St. Louis; other clubs: St. Louis and City. Office: 1527 Pierce Bldg. Residence: 3671 Lindell Boulevard. Country Residence: Oakland, near Kirkwood, Mo.
[Source: "The Book of St. Louisans", Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater]

Peter Brown
PETER BROWN, a prominent stock man of Snohomish county, (WA) has been the architect of his own fortunes. Early thrown on his own resources for a livelihood, his career has been that of a selfmade man. He was born in Canada, about forty miles southeast of Montreal, in March of 1839, the son of Charles and Aurelie (Yeryell) Brown. The father was born in Ireland, but came to Canada when a young man and became a school teacher and farmer. He subsequently removed his family to Cleveland, Ohio, subsequent to the time when his son Peter commenced life on his own account. It is one of the strange incidents of life in this cosmopolitan country that the son has never been able to gain any information of any member of the family since the removal to Cleveland. Being the oldest of a family of twelve children, Peter Brown was compelled when very young to make his own way. At nineteen he was engaged in buying and selling shingles. He continued in this business for two years, and it was during this period that he lost track of' the remainder of his family. Mr. Brown lived in the country contiguous to the Great Lakes for two years, and in 1865 located in Grand Rapids, Wisconsin, which city was then but a small village. For three years he worked in the woods of that state, eventually dropping his connection with the lumber business to engage in farming and stock raising. Though he had heavy investments at Grand Rapids he passed through the season of financial distress in the panic of 1873 safely and become one of the most prominent stockmen in Wood county, Wisconsin. He continued in this line of activity there until his removal to Snohomish county in 1889, and he still owns 280 acres of valuable land near Grand Rapids. His Snohomish county property consists of his residence in the city of Snohomish and his stock ranch some two miles east of the city.
In January of 1875 Mr. Brown married Miss Eglephyre Briere, a native of eastern Canada and daughter of Marcel and Celina (Germain) Briere. Mr. Briere is still living at the age of eighty-nine, his home being in Grand Rapids, Wisconsin, but Mrs. Briere died in 1870. Mrs. Brown received her education in Canada and taught school there prior to her marriage. She and Mr. Brown are communicants of the Catholic church. They are highly respected in the neighborhood in which they live and among all those in the county with whom they have been associated either socially or in business relations.
[An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M.K.Krogman.]

William Brown

Brown, William, manager at Detroit of the Philip Carey Manufacturing Co.; born Cleveland, O., Dec. 25, 1877; son of Nathan and Rose (Englander) Brown; educated in public schools of Cleveland; married, Detroit, Oct., 1904, Miss A. Krolik. Began active career in Cleveland, handling roofing materials; came to Detroit, 1901, and is manager of the Philip Carey Manufacturing Co., of Cincinnati, O., manufacturers of roofing and asbestos materials. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason(32), Shriner. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Phoenix. Office: 17 Jefferson Av. Residence: 372 John R St.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908; CW - Sub by FoFG]

Mary Stockly Cary

Cary, Mrs. Mary Stockly, business woman and philanthropist, born in Allenburg, Canada, 18th August, 1834. Her father, John Galt Stockly, of Philadelphia, Pa., whose business interests in Canada led him to reside there for a few years, removed to Cleveland, Ohio, in 1837. He was a pioneer in the shipping and coal interests of northern Ohio. He built and owned the first docks in Cleveland harbor. He was of an old Virginia family of Accomac county and his wife, Catharine Duchatel, was of French descent. Mrs. Cary's paternal grandfather, Captain Ayres Stockly, was the owner of an East Indiaman sailing from Philadelphia, and he was among the first to unfurl the American flag in the harbor of Canton. His vessel was at one time seized by the French government, and he was imprisoned in France, his heirs being among the claimants of the French spoliation funds recently ordered to be distributed by the United States Congress. Mrs. Cary's grandmother, Mary Stockly, was one of the remarkable women in Philadelphia before the Revolutionary War. As a school-girl, Mrs. Cary was quick to learn. Her marriage to John E. Cary, a prominent lawyer of Cleveland, occurred 1st September, 1852. Mr. Cary died in 1874, leaving her with three daughters and two sons. From the time of her husband's death Mrs. Cary, with the management of her property devolving upon herself, exhibited marked and practical business sagacity. Disposing of some of her property, she increased largely her interests in those investments of her husband which she regarded as most promising. She supplied largely the capital required for the development of the Brush electric light system, and, associated with her brother, George W. Stockly, was for many years a director in its board of control. Her wealth is wisely used. Public spirited and generous, she has always taken pride in her city. She is one of the founders of its School of Art and a liberal patron of its charitable and educational institutions. She inherited from her grandfather a love of the sea and of foreign travel, and she has made the circuit of the globe, and during recent years has spent much of her time with her children in European capitals. She is an especial admirer of Japan and its people, and her talk upon the "Houses and Homes of the Japanese," before the Cleveland Sorosis, was original and unique. She is one of the most conspicuous citizens of Cleveland.
["American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies" Vol. 1, by Frances Elizabeth Willard & Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Publ. 1897. MS - Sub by FoFG]

Daniel G. Cash
CASH, Daniel G.  Duluth.  Res 820 E 5th st, office 410 Manhattan bldg. Lawyer.  Born Feb 11, 1843 in Cleveland O, son of Daniel S and Fanny (Tooker) Cash.  Married Oct 1, 1872 to Alice B Scott of Pittsburg Pa.  Educated in the public schools of Cleveland O 1852-56; Ontonagon Mich 1857-60; Ann Arbor Mich 1861; graduated from Univ of Mich law school LL B 1867.  Opened law office in Duluth 1870; member of law firm of Ensign & Cash 1874-1889; Cash & Williams 1889-91; Cash, Williams & Chester 1891-97; has since practiced alone.  Enlisted as private in the 27th Vol Inf Aug 4, 1862; commissioned 2d lieut Oct 1862; 1st lieut may 1863; adjt Dec 1863; capt May 1864; maj May 1865; brevt maj U S Vol 1865; wounded at battles of Wilderness, Cold Harbor and at siege of Petersburg; taken prisoner Aug 1864 and confined in Libby prison and Salisbury N C; escaped Oct 19, 1864.  Served as city atty Duluth 1 term; county atty of St Louis county 3 terms.  Member of Loyal Legion, Minn Commandery, and Willis A Gorman Post G A R; member and sec board of directors Duluth Public Library. ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]


Mrs. Frances P. Clark
Clark, Mrs. Frances P., philanthropist, born in Syracuse, N. Y., 17th September, 1836. She was one of a family of seven children born to Dr. J. H. and Mary P. Parker, who were persons of fine character. Miss Parker was educated in Syracuse, and in November, 1858, became the wife of George W. Clark. In 1860 they moved to Cleveland, Ohio, remaining there until 1883, when they removed to Omaha, Neb., where they have since lived. Their family consists of a daughter and son. After recovering from an apparently incurable disease of long standing, Mrs. Clark, in a spirit of gratitude to God, devoted herself to charitable work, taking up the work most needed to be done and most neglected, as she felt, by Christians, that of care for the so-called outcasts of society. In 1884, in recognition of her ability and services, she was appointed State superintendent of the social purity department of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union of Nebraska. As a result of the agitation begun by Mrs. Clark and her colleagues, the disgraceful statute making the age of consent twelve years was changed by the Legislature, in 1887, raising it to fifteen years. The women had prepared a bill making the limit eighteen years, and the result was a compromise. At the same time they petitioned the Legislature for a grant of $25,000, to be used in establishing an industrial home in Milford, Neb. That institution accordingly was founded at once, and through the happy results since flowing therefrom has fully met the expectations of its founders. Mrs. Clark is a member of the board of management of the Milford home, and also of the Woman's Associate Charities of the State of Nebraska, under appointment by the Governor. Besides this, she is the superintendent of a local institution for the same purpose in Omaha, known as "The Open Door," under the auspices of the local Woman's Christian Temperance Union. That institution is supported by subscriptions from the citizens of Omaha. With all these calls upon her time, Mrs. Clark is busy constantly, and she stands in the foremost rank among the women philanthropists of Nebraska.
["American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies" Vol. 1, by Frances Elizabeth Willard & Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Publ. 1897. MS - Sub by FoFG]

Henry Tiffany Cole

Cole, Henry Tiffany, vice president United States Heater Co.; born, Cleveland, O., (Cuyahoga Co) June 29, 1870; son of Delos O. and Isabella (Tiffany) Cole; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Catskill, N.Y., 1900, Miss Alice Jerome Day. Came to Detroit, 1877; began business career with H. Scherer & Co., wholesale carriage hardware, 1887, continuing until 1893; became connected with the Capitol Heating Co., as treasurer, 1893, the name of which was changed to the United States Heater Co., 1895; was elected secretary, 1897, and vice president 1902, now also acting as general manager, the company manufacturing steam and hot water boilers and radiators (6 branch houses in principal cities). Member National Association of Manufacturers, Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Episcopalian. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Boat, Racquet and Curling. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: Cor. Campbell Av. and Wabash R. R. Residence: 114 Du Bois St.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908; CW - Sub by FoFG]

John Dietze
DIETZE John, Winona. Brewer. Born June 1855 in Cleveland O, son of Martin and A (Troost) Dietze. Received his education in public schools Cleveland O. Engaged in whol liquor business 1886-1903; propr Park Brewing Co 1903 to date. Member B P O E, Arlington and Business Men's Clubs. ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Kim Mohler]


Jacob Dittenhofer
DITTENHOFER Jacob, St Paul. Res 705 Summit av, office The Golden Rule. Merchant. Born Oct 19, 1845 in Cleveland O, son of Samuel and Fannie Dittenhofer. Married June 21, 1875 to Bettie Elsinger. Educated in public and high schools Cleveland. Variously employed in dry goods and mercantile firms and for self in Cleveland until 1868 when he established the Golden Rule dept store as member of firm of W H Elsinger & Co; now sec of same; dir National German Am Bank and Sharood Shoe Corporation St Paul. Member Minnesota and Commercial clubs and B P O E. ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

Samuel W. Dittenhofer
DITTENHOFER Samuel W, St Paul. Res 807 Summit av, office 95 E 7th st. Merchant. Born 1877 in Cleveland O, son of Jacob and Bettie (Elsinger) Dittenhofer. Married 1905 to Madaline Lang. Educated in the public schools of St Paul; graduated from Shattuck Military Academy 1895. Entered the employ of the Golden Rule 1895 and became a member of the firm 1899; now v pres and gen mngr of same since its incorporation in 1905. Member Minnesota Club. ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Kim Mohler]


Edwin K. Fairchild
FAIRCHILD Edwin Kellogg, Minneapolis.  Res 2200 1st av S, office 509 Loan & Trust bldg.  Lawyer.  Born Oct 11, 1854 in Brecksville O, son of Reuben W and Esther (Birge) Fairchild.  Married Oct 7, 1880 to Ella F Webster.  Graduated Oberlin College Ohio A B 1876.  Admitted to the bar of Hennepin county 1880; began practice 1883; associated with Harlan P Roberts as Fairchild & Roberts 1885-87.  Member of Keith, Evans, Thompson & Fairchild law firm gen practitioners Minneapolis 1887 to date.  Member Lafayette Club Minnetonka Beach.  ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]

Lydia Hoyt Farmer

Farmer, Mrs. Lydia Hoyt, author, was born in Cleveland. Ohio. Her family and ancestry include names prominent in the professions of law, theology and literature. Her father is the Hon. J. M. Hoyt, of Cleveland, Ohio. Her mother was Mary Ella Beebe, daughter of Alexander M. Beebe, LL. D. of New York. Her husband is the Hon. E J. Farmer, of Cleveland, who is the author of several works on politics and finance, and is engaged in large mining enterprises in Colorado. Mrs. Farmer was thoroughly educated in music, art and literature. For the past ten years she has contributed to the leading newspapers and popular magazines. Her writings have been various, consisting of poems, essays, juvenile stories, historical sketches and novels. She is the author of ''A Story Book of Science" (Boston, 1886), "Boys' Book of Famous Rulers" (New York, 1886), "Girls' Book of Famous Queens' (New York, 1887), "The Prince of the Flaming Star" (Boston, 1887), "The Life of La Fayette " (New York, 1888), "A Short History of the French Revolution " (New York, 1889), "A Knight of Faith " (New York, 1889), "A Moral Inheritance " (New York, 1890), and other works. Mrs. Farmer's books have received high commendation from the press, have had wide circulation throughout the country, and her "Knight of Faith," which is a strong religious novel, received flattering recognition from the Hon. William E. Gladstone, from whom Mrs. Farmer was the recipient of a personal note regarding her religious books. Her "Prince of the Flaming Star" is an operetta, and the words, music and illustrations are all of her production. Her "Moral Inheritance," is founded upon "Soul Heredity" and enters into rather novel fields in the realms of fiction. In her "Life of La Fayette" she had access to original files of newspapers, unique copies of works now out of print, and the private papers of the La Fayette family, and therefore has been able to incorporate in the book much that had been inaccessible to previous biographers. She has completed a historical novel, "The Doom of the Holy City: Christ and Caesar," founded on the destruction of Jerusalem, and the scenes are laid in that city and in Rome as they appeared in the first century. She is an indefatigable student, pursuing metaphysical and philosophical research with intense avidity. Her novels are always written for a high purpose, and their whole tendency and teaching are healthful and elevating. Mrs. Farmer has for years instructed Bible classes of young ladies, having devoted a large portion of her time to Biblical study. She has passed most of her life in Cleveland, having resided in that city from childhood, with the exception of five-years spent in the City of New York.
["American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies" Vol. 1, by Frances Elizabeth Willard & Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Publ. 1897. MS - Sub by FoFG]

Hon. William H. H. Flick

Mr. Flick is a native of the Western Reserve of Ohio, where he was born in 1841. He was educated in the public schools and at Hiram College, near Cleveland. In July, 1861, he volunteered as a private soldier in the Federal Army and was dangerously wounded in the left shoulder at the battle of Shiloh, Mississippi, but continued in the service until the fall of 1862, when he was honorably discharged on account of said wound. He returned to his home and taught school for three years. Having read law in the meantime, he was licensed to practice in September, 1865. In March, 1866, he moved to West Virginia, and began to practice law at Moorefield, the seat of justice of Hardy County, and in March, 1867, he changed his residence to Franklin, Pendleton County. He had a strong legal mind, was an able public speaker, and soon became recognized as a forceful and successful lawyer. He was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Pendleton County in 1867, also of the adjoining county of Grant in 1872, and he was re-elected to the same office in Pendleton County in 1873-4. In 1874 he resigned the office of Prosecuting Attorney and located at Martinsburg, Berkeley County, where he spent the remainder of his life. In the fall of 1868 he entered the State Legislature from Pendleton and Grant Counties, and was re-elected in 1869. He took an active part in legislation. He was the author of what was known as "The Flick Amendment" to the State Constitution, which removed all restrictions from all persons who had engaged in the Rebellion of 1861-5, which gave him a statewide reputation. In 1881 he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Berkeley County, which he resigned in 1882 to accept the higher position of United States District Attorney for West Virginia. By this time he had become an unusually able lawyer, and one of the strongest and most successful prosecutors in the Commonwealth. We put it mildly when we state that he had but few equals, anywhere, as a trial lawyer. He was a very large man, and when he became aroused his reserve force was practically irresistible, because he apparently would break down all opposition and often sweeps things before him. In 1876 he was the Republican candidate for a seat on the Supreme Court of Appeals of the State, but was defeated along with his entire party ticket.
["Bench and Bar of West Virginia" edited by George Wesley Atkinson, 1919 - TK - Sub by FoFG]

General Mark D. Flower
FLOWER General Mark D. Born March 3, 1842 in Chagrin Falls O (died Feb 3, 1907); son of M T C and Cybele B Flower.  Married Oct 1864 to Miss Lena Gutherz.  Educated in common schools of Ohio and Minn and Aurora Institute Aurora Ill.  came to Minn with parents in 1855 enlisted in Co C 7th Ill Vol Inf for 90 days' service 1861; re-enlisted 36th Ill Vol Inf; was made adjt gen in Memphis Dec 1863; enrolled militia with rank of capt; after 4 years' active service retired July 1865; returned to Minn and engaged in hotel business Mankato Minn; also interested in flour milling at same point until 1869; appointed adjt gen of Minn 1870 and served until 1875, resigning to engage in grain and transportation business, having acquired a fleet of boats and barges; entire fleet and holdings destroyed by cyclone on Yellowstone river 1877; returned to St Paul and became sec Republican State Central Committee 1881, at which time he was also chairman of the executive committee; elected chief clk House of Representatives 1879; re-elected 1881; dep collector of customs port of St Paul 1879; resigned to become inspector of steam vessels 5th dist U S A; refused re-appointment under President Harrison; gen claim agt C G W Ry 1886-1890; resigning to become pres and gen mngr St Paul Union Stock Yards Co 1890-1905; appointed postmaster at St Paul Dec 16, 1905, continuing in office until his death.  Member Minn State Legislature from 7th ward St Paul 1905; author of many important bills in the legislature; also Republican leaders.  At the time of his death he was Dir D G W Ry; pres St Paul Union Stock Yards Co; dir Stock Yards Nat Bank; pres S St Paul Grain Co; dir Commercial Club; was formerly a dir Chamber of Commerce St Paul. Member Acker Post G A R St Paul.["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]

Oscar C. Greene
Greene, Oscar Curtis, St Paul.  Res 477 Holly av, office N P Ry general offices.  Railroad official.  Born Feb 21, 1842 in Ohio, son of Barnabas B and Nancy Caldwell (Valladigham) Greene.  Married to Jennie Goodrich.  Educated in public schools Cleveland O and Hiram (O) College.  Telegraph operator Bellefontaine O 1861-63; with N W Packet Co St Paul 1866; supt telegraphs St Paul & Pac R R 1866-72; supt telegraphs N P Ry 1872 to date.  Member Assn of Ry Tel Supts.
 ["Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota". Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]

John H. Knodell

Knodell, John H., furniture manufacturer; born, Cleveland, O., (Cuyahoga Co) May 4, 1856; son of John H. and Mary Knodell; educated in public schools of Cleveland; married at Detroit, 1883, Miss Mary Singelyn. Began active career as clerk in hotel at Cleveland; traveled in different parts of the West as salesman for leaf tobacco house; removed to Detroit, 1883, and became connected with The Posselius Brothers Furniture manufacturing Co. as shipping clerk; was one of the incorporators of the company in 1890, and has been vice president since 1900. Member firm of Sovereign, Porte & Knodell, advertisers. Independent Republican. Member Knights of Pythias. Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: Harper and Mt. Elliott Avs. Residence: Gratiot Av., near Harper.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908; CW - Sub by FoFG]

Henry R. Leonard
Leonard, Henry R., president H.R. Leonard Furniture Co.; born, Cleveland, O., (Cuyahoga Co) Aug. 27, 1847; son of Raymond H. and Margaret C. (Cowan) Leonard; educated in public schools of Cleveland, married at Cleveland, 1872, Annie E. Lawrence. Began in furniture business in Cleveland, 1867; removed to Detroit, 1884, and established the H.R. Leonard Furniture Co. Republican. Member Masonic order (32o), Knights Templar, Shrine. Recreations: Driving and breeding fine trotting horses. Office: 267-269 Woodward Av., Detroit. Residence: 34 Eliot St., Detroit; summer residence: Point Aux Barques, Mich.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908; CW - Sub by FoFG]

Jay C. McLaughlan
McLaughlan, Jay C.; born, Cleveland, O., (Cuyahoga Co) Mar. 12, 1874; son of William and Dora (Chandler) McLauchlan; graduate Yale University, 1898; married at Detroit, December, 1901, Edith Williams. Came to Detroit from Cleveland, 1898; was connected with F.A. Goodrich & Co., iron and steel, for six years; has been district sales manager, with headquarters at Detroit, for Lackawanna Steel Co. and Pickands, Mather & Co., since 1905. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Recreation: Golf. Clubs: Detroit, Country, University, Racquet and Curling. Office: 714 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 211 Seminole Av.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908; CW - Sub by FoFG]

John A. Melcher
John A. Melcher was born in Germany, May 1, 1845, and is a son of John A. Melcher, who emigrated to Cleveland in 1846. The subject was reared and educated there in the common schools, and afterwards entered a college at that place, and in 1865, came to Peru, where he engaged in cigar-making. He ran a factory at Michigan City for about two years. In 1880, he started a saloon and billiard hall. In November, 1867, he was married to Miss Liddie J. Holman, daughter of Solomon Holman, an old settler of Miami County. This union was blessed with the birth of six children, whose names are, Sol. A., Author E., Willie, Emma, Lottie and Jessie. Mr. M. is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is also a staunch Republican.
["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]

Charlotte Cheney Morrison, born Cleveland, O., about 1855. Entered the literary course in 1868; graduated in 1873. Her residence was in Cleveland until her death, Feb. 12, 1898. [Source: "Necrology, Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8". Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]

John O’Brien
This gentleman is well known throughout Texas as a man of genius and at the head of his profession in the State.  He is a native of Cork, Ireland, and a son of John O’Brien, who was a stone-cutter by trade.
    When the subject of this sketch had reached the age of twenty years he decided to seek his fortune in America, and after his arrival here he served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade, and later took up the trade of marble mantel making. He rapidly developed a taste for designing and carving, in which he became so proficient that by the advice of friends he resolved to perfect himself in the art. By close application to the duties of his calling, which afforded him not only his means of support but also the best opportunities then within his reach for perfecting himself in his calling, he made rapid progress. He later spent seven years at Rome, Italy, in St. Luke's Academy, which is recognized as one of the best schools for sculptors in the world, and there he pursued his studies under the greatest masters of modern times. Under contract, he returned to America to carve a statue of Commodore Perry, which now adorns one of the public parks of Cleveland, Ohio. Later he produced the heroic statue of Lord Baltimore for the Johns Hopkins University, at Baltimore, Maryland, after which he made the Maryland Confederate Soldier, which was unveiled on one of the public squares of Baltimore in the presence of thousands of people. These splendid achievements brought him renown, and closely following the completion of the last named work he was engaged (1880) to make a life-sized bust of General Winfield Scott Hancock, then candidate for President of the United States. After the finishing touches had been given this beautiful work of art, it was well paid for and presented to its subject by General Hancock's personal friends and political admirers, and in his letter of acknowledgment the General made use of the following significant words: "I am in receipt of your recent communication with reference to the carved bust of myself by our well known sculptor, John O'Brien, Esq., of Baltimore. The engrossed letter of presentation with the carving have both been received and are beautiful specimens of art. I beg that you accept for yourselves and convey to the gentlemen concerned my warmest thanks and appreciation of this evidence of friendship and esteem. I would ask, too, that you express my special thanks to Mr. O'Brien. I, of course, cannot judge accurately of the merit of a work so personal to myself, but it is pronounced by others to be worthy of Sculptor O'Brien's high reputation."
Mr. O'Brien then left Baltimore and came to Texas.   His first public work in the Lone Star State was the production of an heroic bust of General Sam Houston, which occupies a prominent pedestal in the Texas State capitol building, at Austin, for which he received the inadequate compensation of $1,000. For about thirteen years past Mr. O'Brien has resided in Galveston, where he has quietly pursued his profession. He now has under way an equestrain [sic] statue of General Houston and a life-sized statue of Stephen F. Austin, which bid fair to equal, if not surpass, all his former efforts.
[Source: "History of Texas, together with a biographical history of the cities of Houston and Galveston, etc.", Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1895. Transcribed by Genealogy Trails staff]

James J. O'Marr
JAMES J. O'MARR, pres. and manager Sheridan Meat Co.; (Dem.); b. Jan. 13, 1859, Independence, Ohio; s. of Matthew and Sophia (Campbell) O'Marr; educ. pub. schls. Independence and Cleveland, Ohio; H. S., Cleveland; engaged in farming in Cuyhoga county, Ohio until 1883; res. In Akron, Ohio, 1884; removed to Montana, 1885; ranch manager nr. White Sulphur Springs, Mont., 1885-90; engaged in livery business, Whit Sulphur Springs, 1890-93; in wholesale and retail meat business same place, 1895-7, and 1899-1905; located in Sheridan, Wyoming, 1905; located in Sheridan, Wyoming, 1905; engaged in grocery business 1905-9; in furniture business, 1910; pres. and manager Sheridan Meat Co., since 1911; pres. Libby (Mont.) Water Works & Electric Light Co., 1911; sheriff Meagher county, Montana, 1893-5; county assessor same county, 1897-9; mayor White Sulphur Springs, Mont., 1902-5; alderman same place, 1898-1902; alderman Sheridan, 1907-8; last mayor of Sheridan, before commission form of government, 1910-11; mayor during construction period of new city hall, paved street improvements and construction of street railway system, 1910-11; mem. Elks.  Address:  Sheridan, Wyoming.
[Source: "Men of Wyoming", Publ 1915. Transcribed by Denise Moreau]

Nathaniel Reese
Reese, Nathaniel, life insurance; born, Cleveland, O., (Cuyahoga Co) Feb. 19, 1872; son of David A. and Margaret (Davies) Reese; educated in public schools of Covington, Ky; married at Covington, Kate M. Shafer. Began active career as office boy with Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Co., at Cincinnati, O., 1884; became stenographer, bookkeeper and cashier in Minneapolis (Minn.) office, 1894-95; returned to Cincinnati office, 1895; cashier in Detroit office, 1897-1900; resigned to become member of firm of Bassett & Reese, Detroit, general agents The Provident Life and Trust Co. of Philadelphia, April 1900. Member Detroit Life Underwriters' Association. Republican. Congregationalist. Member Masonic order, Knights Templar. Club: Detroit Gold. Office: 44-45 Home Bank Bldg. residence: 46 Haigh Av.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908; CW - Sub by FoFG]

John D. Rockefeller
John Davison Rockefeller, one of America's very greatest financiers and philanthropists, was born in Richford, Tioga county, New York, July 8, 1839. He received a common-school education in his native place, and in 1853, when his parents removed to Cleveland, Ohio, he entered the high school of that city. After a two-years' course of diligent work, he entered the commission and forwarding house of Hewitt & Tuttle, of Cleveland, remaining with the firm some years, and then began business for himself, forming a partnership with Morris B. Clark. Mr. Rockefeller was then but nineteen years of age, and during the year 1860, in connection with others, they started the oil refining business, under the firm name of Andrews, Clark & Co. Mr. Rockefeller and Mr. Andrews purchased the interest of their associates, and, after taking William Rockefeller into the firm, established offices in Cleveland under the name of William Rockefeller & Co. Shortly after this the house of Rockefeller & Co. was established in New York for the purpose of finding a market for their products, and two years later all the refining companies were consolidated under the firm name of Rockefeller, Andrews & Flagler. This firm was succeeded in 1870 by the Standard Oil Company of Ohio, said to be the most gigantic business corporation of modern times. John D. Rockefeller's fortune has been variously estimated at from one hundred million to two hundred million dollars. Mr. Rockefeller's philanthropy manifested itself principally through the American Baptist Educational Society. He donated the building for the Spelman Institute at Atlanta, Georgia, a school for the instruction of negroes. His other gifts were to the University of Rochester, Cook Academy, Peddie Institute, and Vassar College, besides smaller gifts to many institutions throughout the country. His princely donations, however, were to the University of Chicago. His first gift to this institution was a conditional offer of six hundred thousand dollars in 1889, and when this amount was paid he added one million more. During 1892 he made it two gifts of one million each, and all told, his donations to this one institution aggregated between seven and eight millions of dollars.
[Source: "A Biographical Record of Boone County, Iowa", 1902, Page 195 - Transcribed for Genealogy Trails by our host, Peggy Thompson, who did not give permission to have it displayed on other websites.]

George Stephan
George Stephan, of Delta, a leading attorney-at-law, banker, real estate man and promoter, who has borne a large share of the burdens incident to developing and building up a new country, and has done his work so wisely and with such commanding enterprise and skill that the results are most gratifying in magnitude and quality, is a native of Cleveland, Ohio, born on March 30, 1862, and the son of John C. and Elizabeth (Watson) Stephan, who were born, reared and married in Pennsylvania. Soon after their marriage they moved to Cleveland, where the father practiced his profession of dentistry for a period twenty-five years. On retiring from active practice he moved to Kansas City, where he died in 1899. His widow now lives in New York. They had seven children, three of whom are living, George being the oldest of these. He was educated in the public schools of Cleveland, being graduated at the high school there in 1878. In 1882 he came to Colorado and located at Denver, where he lived until 1888. He then passed two years at Salt Lake engaged in the real-estate business. In 1890 he moved to Delta, arriving in the spring, and at once became president of the Delta Mercantile Company, which he organized, but he sold his interest in the company soon afterward. In 1895 he bought a one-half interest in the banking house formerly established by Blachly & Baldwin, and, in partnership with F.E. Dodge, reorganized the institution into the Farmers and Merchants Bank, the name it now bears. In 1898 he sold his interest in the bank and, in partnership with Judge A.R. King, bought the Delta Town and Improvement Company of the Crawford estate. This company soon afterward organized the Union Abstract Company, and Mr. Stephan has devoted his energies to the business of these two corporations as president in connection with extensive legal practice and his official duties as county attorney, an office in which he is now serving his third term. He was admitted to the bar in 1889, and since then he has built up a large and representative practice and taken a high rank in the profession. He is an ardent Republican in politics and is prominent and influential in the councils of his party, serving as secretary of its county central committee and having a voice of potency in its conventions. He has also served acceptably as a member of the Delta city council. In fraternal circles he is a thirty-second-degree Mason and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine in the same order. On June 28, 1892, he was united in marriage with Miss Helen Carr, a native of Philadelphia and daughter of A.W. Carr, one of the pioneers of Delta county. Their beautiful home, over which Mrs. Stephan presides with grace and dignity, is a center of refined and generous hospitality and intellectual life, and both she and her husband are recognized as among the leading citizens of the community.
[Source: "Progressive Men of Western Colorado", Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]

Harold Wilson
Wilson, Harold, physician; born, Cleveland, (Cuyahoga Co) Aug. I, 1860; son of Thomas P. and Marian (Beckwith) Wilson; educated in public schools of Cleveland and Cincinnati; University of Cincinnati; University of Michigan, graduating, B. S., 1882, Medical Department same university, degree of M. D., 1886. Married at Bloomington, Ill., Sept. 21, 1890, Alice A. Graves. Was chemist to Harrison Reduction Works, Leadville, Colo., 1882-83; began practice of medicine in Ann Arbor, Mich., 1886; has practiced in Detroit since 1888. Attending surgeon, eye, ear, nose and throat, Grace Hospital, and attending oculist and aurist, Protestant Orphan Asylum. Republican. Unitarian. Member Michigan Homeopathic Medical Society (ex-president), Homeopathic O. O. and L. Society, etc. Member Psi Upsilon. Office: 32 W. Adams Av. Residence: 48 W. Ferry Av.
[Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908; CW - Sub by FoFG]

William T. Wilson
Dr. William T. Wilson, a prominent physician of Bunker Hill, is a son of Reuben and Miriam (Overman) Wilson, both natives of North Carolina and of English descent. He was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, August 4, 1827. When quite young his parents came to Wayne County, Indiana, and settled on a farm. The Doctor, having prepared himself for college, attended Earlham for one year and a half. He then went South with a drove of horses, and visited his relations in South and North Carolina and Virginia. After his return he taught school for several years. In 1851 he began reading medicine with Dr. Purviance, of what was then known as " New Port," but now called Fountain City, with whom he remained three and a half years; after which he practiced his profession in West Newton, Marion County. During this time he was married to Mary E. Cooper, daughter of Robert Cooper, a prominent attorney of Henry County. Two children blessed this union: Ida B. and Eva M. The Doctor lost his wife April 1, 1866, and was again married, May 8, 1873, to Mary A. Barker, relative of the noted Dr. Fordyce Barker, of Bellevue College, New York. In 1866, Dr. Wilson located in Bunker Hill, where he has since been actively engaged in his profession. Previous to his coming he took a two years' course of lectures in the Cleveland Medical College, and also took a course of lectures in the Rush Medical College of Chicago, where he graduated in medicine and surgery, January, 1863. He is a Republican and a strictly temperate man.
["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]

 



HOME


Copyright © Genealogy Trails