FRANK A. BLOCK is one of the men who have taken hold with their hands to make the reservation country, which they opened in the fall of 1900, to blossom as the rose, and become one of the most fruitful sections of Washington. His labors in this line have met with good success, and his farm place, which lies three miles southwest from Molson, shows evidence of thrift, industry, and prosperity. Frank A. Block was born in Defiance county, Ohio, on August 27, 1864, the son of George H. and Mary (Forest) Block, natives also of the Buckeye state. The father served three months in the Civil War, being then discharged on account of disability, which resulted in his death in 1868. The mother's father, Jonathan Forest, was a brother of General Nathan B. Forest. Our subject was one of three children, himself the oldest; William B., an electrician in Spokane; Georgiana, wife of Charles F. Speith, who owns the farm adjoining our subject's. Frank A. was educated in the public schools, after which he commenced working in a store, and followed this occupation until 1890, when he came west to Nebraska. On November 28, 1889, he married Miss Edith, daughter of David and Louisa (Person) Thompson, natives of Ohio. Mrs. Block was born in Paulding county, Ohio, on February 6, 1867. Her father was born in Cincinnati, and died August 10, 1893. The mother had previously died in 1877. To this worthy couple, eight children have been born, Mrs. Anna Hanenkratt, Stephen S., Ezra R., Ella, Mrs. Block, Charles S., Amos and Clarence. In February, 1890, Mr. Block and his wife came to Stratton, Nebraska, and there farmed until 1894. In that year they traveled by wagon to Alberta, Canada, and after one year returned, locating at Phillipsburg, Montana. Later they went to Idaho, and then to Oregon, and finally returned to Montana. It was in the spring of 1900, that Mr. Block came to Republic, and in the fall of that year, he located his present place. The farm is a good one, all fenced, and about one half in cultivation. He has a house, barn, young orchard, and plenty of water, and also owns some stock. Mr. and Mrs. Block have three children, Forest H., born April 12, 1891; Floyd, born July 13, 1892; Gladis E., born April 2, 1901. [Source: "An illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington" Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - Tr. by Helen Coughlin]
ERVIN S. CHAPMAN
Chapman, Ervin S., clergyman, reformer, author, was born June 23, 1838, in Defiance, County, Ohio. He was educated in the public schools and under private tuition; and has received the degrees of A.M., D.D. and LL.D. In 1864-69 he was committee clerk in the United States House of Representatives at Washington, D.C. In 1870-98 he was a pastor in Ohio, Wyoming and California; since 1898 has been superintendent of the California anti-saloon league; and he is editor of the Searchlight, its official organ. He is the originator of the stainless flag movement. He is the author of a work entitled The Stainless Flag. [Herringshaw's National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 - Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
CHARLES T CHENEVERT
CHENEVERT, Charles T., vice president Detroit Wire Spring Co.; born, Defiance, O., May 15, 1884; son of Charles J. and Lillian M. (Lindenberger) Chenevert; educated at University of Michigan; unmarried. Has been identified with the Detroit Wire Spring Co. since beginning his business career in Feb., 1907. Episcopalian. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 305 Congress St.,W. Residence: Pasadena Apts. [The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908 - transcribed by Christine Walters]
JOHN DUNN CHENEVERT
CHENEVERT, John Dunn, secretary and treasurer Detroit Wire Spring Co.; born, Defiance, O., Jan. 12, 1879; son of Charles J. and Lillian M. (Lindenberger) Chenevert; graduate Harvard, degree of B.A., 1906; unmarried. Came to Detroit, Jan., 1907, and has been connected with the Detroit Wire Spring Co. since Feb. of that year. Episcopalian. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 305 Congress St., W. Residence: Pasadena Apts. [The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908 - transcribed by Christine Walters]
HON. ALFRED P. EDGERTON
This deceased gentleman was in his lifetime one of the most distinguished citizens of this section, and his able, faithful, and long-continued service in important official positions reflects honor upon the community in which he made his home. His prominence in political affairs is indicated by his service as Congressman; member of the Ohio State Senate; president of the Civil Service Commission, and by his election as a delegate to four national Democratic conventions, while his name was associated with numerous undertakings which have been of permanent benefit to the business interests of the country.
Mr. Edgerton came of good old English ancestry, and traced his descent from Richard Edgerton, one of the original thirty-five proprietors of Norwich, Connecticut . He was born January n, 1813, at Plattsburg, New York, and received an academic education at Albany . For a time after leaving school he edited a newspaper at his native place, but in 1833 he removed to New York City, and engaged in mercantile business. In the spring of 1837 he came to Ohio, and assumed the management of the extensive interests of the American Land Company, and the Hicks Land Company in the northwestern part of the State, establishing his office and home at Hicksville, then in Williams county. He ever afterward retained a residence there, his beautiful home being always kept ready for his occupancy, and he spent much of his time there; but in 1859 he removed to Fort Wayne, Indiana. From that time until 1868 his attention was mainly devoted to the management of the Indiana State canals, which he leased in partnership with Hugh McCulloch and Pliny Hoogland, and at different times he was identified with various railroad interests in Indiana and Michigan, as promoter, stockholder, and director. His abilities received early recognition among his fellow-workers in the Democratic party, and his fidelity to duty in every office fully justified their confidence in him. In 1845, he was elected to the Ohio State Senate; in 1848 was a delegate-at-large to the National Democratic Convention; in 1850 was elected to the XXXIId Congress; in 1852 was re-elected, and as a member of the XXXIIId Congress he served as chairman of the Committee on Claims, and was one of its most active and conscientious members, blocking many false claims. In 1853, he was appointed financial agent of the State of Ohio, with an office at New York City, and this position he held until May I, 1856. From 1852 to 1856 he was a member of the Democratic National Committee, and was chairman of the sub-committee which organized the national convention in the latter year. In 1858 he was a member of a committee appointed to investigate certain frauds upon the Ohio State treasury, and he assisted in preparing an elaborate report disclosing the extent of the frauds and the names of the guilty parties.
In January, 1864, he was chosen delegate-at-large to the national convention of his party. In 1868 he was a candidate for the post of lieutenant-governor of Indiana on the ticket with Thomas A. Hendricks, but was defeated, and in 1872 he was nominated as the "straight out" candidate for governor of that State, but he declined to run. In November 1885, President Cleveland appointed him as a member of the United States Civil Service Commission, and for about four years he served as chairman of that body. Throughout his life Mr. Edgerton was an earnest friend to educational progress, and for many years he served as a member of the school board at Fort Wayne, and as trustee of Purdue University at Lafayette, Indiana, and of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Indiana, which is endowed by the general government.
His unswerving integrity in financial matters is shown by the fact that he was not a very wealthy man, notwithstanding the opportunities for gain which his official positions gave him. His business enterprises were profitable, and in the early '70's he was worth from eight hundred thousand to a million dollars, but, having made a verbal promise as security for his brother Lycurgus, who was in business in New York City, he felt compelled to meet all liabilities when the panic of 1873 brought on the failure of the latter. This took the greater portion of Mr. Edgerton's fortune, and as he was not legally bound to pay the obligations, the incident illustrates in a striking way his high sense of honor.
On February 9, 1841, Mr. Edgerton was married at Columbus, Ohio, to Miss Charlotte Dixon, who was born June 1, 1816, at Portland, Connecticut, a daughter of Charles and Lucy (Sage) Dixon, of Bethany, New York.Soon after their marriage Mr. Edgerton brought his bride to his home in Hicksville, which had just been completed for her reception, and the first gentleman to call and offer his congratulations on their arrival was Chief Justice Waite. In this home many happy years were spent, the following children blessing the union: Henry Hicks, born January 1, 1842; Cornelia Augusta, born February 4, 1843, died August 13, 1848; Frances DeLord, born September 1, 1844; Alfred P., Jr., born April 12, 1846; Charlotte Elizabeth, born October 1, 1847; Ann Eliza, born June 4, 1849; Arthur, born February 7, 1852, died March 28, 1856; and Dixon, born July 28, 1857. On January 21, 1895, the beloved wife and mother passed to the unseen life, deeply mourned by a large circle of friends. She was a member of the Episcopal Church and was prominent in its varied activities. Even when well advanced in years, Mr. Edgerton displayed remarkable intellectual and physical vitality, and was still actively interested in various progressive movements of the day. He died May 14, 1897, at Hicksville,Ohio, and was buried at Fort Wayne, Indiana May 17,1897 from Trinity Church. (Source: Commemorative biographical record of northwestern Ohio Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1899)
This deceased gentleman was for many years actively identified with the farming interests of Richland township. Defiance county, and was one of the representative and honored citizens of his community. He was born December 3, 1825, in Wurtemberg, Germany, but when quite young was brought to America by his mother and stepfather, being reared principally in Independence, Ohio. When about twenty-four years of age he went to Woodville, Sandusky county, where he was employed as clerk for his brother-in-law some four years.
While living at that place Mr. Hammon was married February 3, 1858, to Miss Catherine Myers, a native of Hanover, Germany, born April 9, 1831. When three years old she came to America with her parents. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Hammon continued to live in Woodville for one year, and then removed to Richland township, Defiance county, locating on a farm in Section 1, North Richland precinct, where he successfully engaged in farming until called from this life on October 30, 1891. He left to his family a good farm of one hundred and sixty acres, its well-tilled fields and neat and thrifty appearance manifesting the enterprise and industry of the owner. He took quite an active part in all local affairs, most efficiently served his fellow citizens as township treasurer, and at the time of his death was holding the office of justice of the peace with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. Religiously he was connected with the Lutheran Church, of which his wife is also a faithful member. In the family of this worthy couple were ten children, as follows: Mary C; Eva L., now the wife of Henry Feindle; John H., who wedded Mary E. Fisher; George P., who married Mary Curns; Flora, who died at the age of nineteen years; Henry M., who married Lizzie Clemens; Lewis F., who married Sadie Champion; William, who wedded Martha Koust; Philip E.; and August Alonzo. The family is one of the highest respectability and worth. (Source: Commemorative biographical record of northwestern Ohio Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1899)
WILLIAM C. HOLGATE
For many years Mr. Holgate, our subject, was a leading citizen of this section, and this volume would not be complete without an account of his effective work in developing the varied activities which mark a civilized community of the highest type. To his energy, foresight, and public spirit many beneficial enterprises owed their success, and his career demonstrated that a man may gain a commanding place in business circles through methods which bring lasting good to the people at large.
Mr. Holgate was of English descent on the paternal side, and the first ancestor of whom we have record was Dr. Holgate, a surgeon in the British army, who came to America in Colonial times, and died while in the service, his remains being buried at sea between Boston and Halifax. Dr. Holgate had but one son, Asa, our subject's grandfather, who served as a private in the British army during the French and Indian wars, and afterward settled near Brattleboro, Vermont, where he married a daughter of Captain Kathan, a Scotchman, who owned lands for nine miles along the Connecticut river in that locality. Curtis Holgate, the father of our subject, was born at Dummerston,Vermont, August 28, 1773, the youngest in a large family of children. As the real estate which he might have hoped to inherit became lost to the family, he started in business life without capital, but through industry and economy he managed to save from his earnings the sum of fifteen hundred dollars by the time he was thirty-six years old. In the meantime his first wife died, and he married Miss Alvira Prentice, the daughter of a physician in northern Vermont, and soon afterward he located at Burlington, in the same state.There he invested his funds in the construction of extensive wharves and docks, his enterprise gaining for him the title of "the Napoleon of Burlington." His docks were completed just before the war of 1812, and were of great service to Commodore McDonough when he fitted out his forces for the battle of Plattsburg. During this war Mr. Holgate, with others, prepared and manned a gunboat which repulsed a British vessel that had cannonaded the city, doing special damage to Mr. Holgate's house. At the close of the war he sold his docks for twenty-two thousand dollars and removed to a farm two miles south of Burlington, his real-estate holdings including at that time about eight hundred acres, a portion of which was on the other side of the lake. He laid out the town of Port Douglas, where he built a wharf, warehouse, hotel, store, and sawmill, and he also purchased six or eight vessels for lake traffic. After a year he sold Port Douglas to a steamboat company, receiving all his expenditures, with six per cent interest, and later he disposed of his other property in the vicinity and arranged to move to the West. The journey was made in one of his own boats by way of the Northern canal, and he stopped at Troy, New York,to procure a stock of general merchandise. He then proceeded by way of the Erie canal to Salina, New York, now a pare of the city of Syracuse, where he spent one year conducting a store and two salt works purchased soon after his arrival. His children being of an age to require better educational facilities than the locality afforded, he removed to Utica, New York, for a time, but in 1835 he came to Ohio and located at Defiance. He was almost the first man to bring any capital to the town, and with characteristic enterprise he engaged in real-estate operations, purchasing one half of the site of Defiance and one third of the site of Napoleon. In 1836 he removed to Buffalo, New York, but in the fall of 1837 he returned to Defiance, where his death occurred January 15, 1840. He was a man of strict moral principles, and in every walk of life was governed by a high sense of honor, his sterling qualities of character winning for him the esteem of all who knew him.
The subject of our sketch was born November 23, 1814, at Burlington, Vermont, and in 1835 was graduated from Hamilton College, near Syracuse, New York, that institution six years later conferring upon him the additional degree of A. M. He studied law with William Crafts, of Utica, New York, and Horace Sessions, of Defiance, being admitted to the Bar of the Supreme Court of Ohio in 1838. His abilities commanded success from the start, and, while he served for some time as clerk of the court and as prosecuting attorney, his most notable professional achievements were in the line of general practice. In 1844 he was chosen to present a petition to the Legislature for the separation and organization of Defiance county, and during the following winter he went to Columbus, where he succeeded in securing the enactment desired, notwithstanding strenuous opposition from the enemies of the measure. On his return to Defiance he received a royal reception from the citizens, who fully appreciated his efforts in their behalf. He was instrumental in securing for his town the Wabash & Pacific railroad and the Baltimore & Ohio railroad on lines surveyed and laid out by himself and others, and for some time he served as a director in the latter. The town of Holgate was named for him by the citizens in recognition of his efforts in securing that railroad for the place. He was the prime mover in the organization of the Defiance County Agricultural Society, and for years he took upon himself all the business cares of the society, while for many years previous to his death he was president of the Merchants National Bank, and of the Defiance Manufacturing Company. His energy and determination were irresistible when applied to the prosecution of a definite plan, all his enterprises proving successful, and his dealings characterized by unwavering integrity. He accumulated a large fortune, and at his death, which occurred August 13, 1888, he left an estate valued at three hundred and fifty thousand dollars. As a citizen Mr. Holgate took much interest in public questions, being first a Whig and later a Republican; in religious faith he was a Presbyterian, the church at Defiance receiving from him substantial support. In 1850 he was married to Miss Mary Hoelrich, who died June 6, 1864. He had two children: W. Curtis Holgate, born November 29, 1854, and Miss Fannie Maude Holgate, born October 2, 1856. W. Curtis Holgate on September 14, 1876, was married to Florence Gleason, and to them were born two children William C, July 19, 1877, and Robert Gleason, October 1,1880. Mr. Holgate followed farming, also was interested in the breeding of fine trotting horses, and was an eminently honored and respected citizen. He spent much time in travel throughout the country. He died January 31, 1887. His widow, Mrs. Florence (Gleason) Holgate, was married May 16, 1893, to Elmer T. Clark, and now resides in Defiance. (Source: Commemorative biographical record of northwestern Ohio Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1899)
A. M. HOOTMAN
A. M. Hootman was born in Jeromeville, Ohio, Sept. 22, 1857. During his infancy his parents moved to Defiance County, Ohio, where young Hootman grew to manhood amid the forest, on the farm and in the blacksmith shop. At seventeen years of age, he taught his first school. He attended a select school, Hicksville high school, Bryan College and Valparaiso University, graduating in two courses. He married Miss Carrie Elliott of Defiance, Ohio, in 1883, that year teaching at Aurora, Ill., in Jenning's Seminary. His first wife bore him one child, Claudia, and after four years of married life died. He was again married to Miss Delia Simpson, a teacher in Eureka, Ill., now the mother of his four children. Mr. Hootman was a teacher seven years in the Metropolitan Business College of Chicago. He served four years as police judge of Western Springs; two years as secretary of the Board of Education of that village in Cook Co., Ill. He was pastor and evangelist at Valparaiso two years; pastor at Lowell, Ind., four years; at Union City, Ind., four years; at Towanda, N. Y., Broad Street Church, two and one-half years; at Logansport, Ind., three years; he was president of the State Missionary Society in New York two years; president of the Second, Fourth and Sixth districts in Indiana. He is a graduate of Welmer's School of Suggestive Therapeutics, and is at present secretary and director in the South Bend Life Insurance Company at South Bend, Ind. [Souvenir Album of Lake County, Indiana; 1906, by E.E. Woodcock and Clyde R. King]
HON. WILLIAM HUMPHREYS HUBBARD
The family history of Judge Hubbard is a most interesting one. His descent is traced in an unbroken line from the Danish Sea King, Hubba, who, with his brother, Hingua, and a numerous following of their people, invaded England in the year 866, and after conquering and devastating the country from Nottingham north to the Tyne, crossed the Humber and carried death and destruction as far south as Excesdune (Aston), where, after a terrific battle with the Saxon army, under King Ethelred and Prince Alfred the Great, they were defeated and driven back to Reading. They, however, maintained themselves in England, and in 878, with a fleet of twenty-three ships, ravaged the coast of South Wales and Devonshire," where they landed and remained until they were at last defeated and driven back to their ships, with the death of Hubba, by Odun the Saxon. After the final subjection of the Danes by King Alfred, the descendants and followers of Hubba and the other Danish leaders took the names of their respective kings, the termination "ard," which in the old Danish signified both "descended from" and "belonging to," being added to the name Hubba, and in the course of time the name Hubbard was indiscriminately applied as well to all those who had fought under "Hubba's Raven Banner" as to his direct descendants. As is said in a work published at New York, in 1895, entitled "1,000 years of Hubbard History," from which we quote: "The name Hubba is not only very ancient in British history, but is probably of great antiquity in Asia . The remote ancestors of Hubba the Dane came from Asia, and it is more than probable from the very valley where the ruins beneath the mounds of Abu Hubba were discovered."
The great Chancellor of the State of New York, Walworth, whose mother was of the same strain of Hubbard blood with our subject, for many years of his life devoted a large part of his time and attention to perfecting the genealogical records of the family; going to England for that purpose. As might be supposed, he found that the blood of the other royal families of England, the Saxon and the Norman, had freely mingled with the vigorous blood of the Viking Hubba; and was able to trace back these other lines of ancestry to their sources. His labors are in part preserved in a massive volume published by him, a copy of which is to be found in the rooms of the Long Island Historical Society, at Brooklyn, New York, in which appears the name of our subject, with a full account of his ancestry along the lines followed by the Chancellor. His earliest ancestor in this country was George Hubbard, who was born in England in 1601, and is mentioned among the first settlers in Hartford,. Connecticut, as having taken a party from Boston, to settle there. He was given six acres of land "by courtesy of the Town, with the privilege of wood and keeping cows on the common." In 1640 he married Elizabeth Watts, daughter of Richard Watts, one of the original proprietors of Hartford, and was "assigned a home lot on the east side of the great river." About 1650 he removed to Middletown, Connecticut, and there established his permanent home, on the east side of Main street. His real estate holdings were very extensive, and he was one of the leading men of the locality, being "highly respected and of marked integrity and fairness." His death occurred March 18, 1664, his widow surviving him until 1702. They had eight children, among whom was a son, Nathaniel, who was born at Middletown, Connecticut, December 10, 1652, and died May 20, 1728. He was married May 29, 1682, to Mary Earle, who was born in 1663, and died April 6, 1732. Their home was at "Long Hill on the cross-roads," at Middletown, where they reared a family. Their son, Nathaniel, was born at Middletown, September 14, 1690, and died at the old home on Long Hill, October 14. 1765. He was married April 12, 1716, to Sarah Johnson, by whom he had several children. A son, Nehemiah, the next in direct line of descent, was born at Middletown, July 22, 1721, and died in Holland Patent, New York, March 11, 1811. He served for many years in the French and Indian wars of his time. He was married October 12, 1748, to Sarah Sill, who was born January 2, 1728, and died August 10, 1814. Thirteen children blessed this union, the third, Nehemiah, being the great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch. He was born April 10, 1752, in Middletown, Connecticut and was thrice married, first in 1777 to Cornelia Willis, who died November 28, 1781. On February 12, 1785, he married Lucy Starr, and at her death he married Widow Hannah (Burnham) Latimer. He took a leading part in the stirring events of his day, and at his death left what was then considered a large fortune. At the age of fourteen he entered the store of Matthew Talcot as a clerk, and remained until he attained his majority, when he engaged in trade with the West Indies, first as supercargo and later as captain and merchant. In 1776 Governor Trumbull, of Connecticut, appointed him paymaster of Colonel Burrell's regiment from the colony, and in May, 1777, General Greene appointed him deputy quartermaster-general for Connecticut. He was present at the siege of Yorktown and the surrender of Cornwallis, and possessed the warm esteem of General Washington, Governor Jonathan Trumbull and Alexander Hamilton, autograph letters from all of whom, expressing friendship and confidence, being now in the possession of the family. Many of his accounts while paymaster were audited by General Washington, and these have also been preserved by his descendants. He and Colonel David Humphreys, a relative of Judge Hubbard on the maternal side, held memberships countersigned by General Washington and General John Knox in the "Society of the Cincinnati," composed of commissioned officers in the Colonial army. At the close of the Revolution he resumed his mercantile business, and later, from 1808 to 1822, was president of the Middletown Savings bank. He was active in local affairs, serving as treasurer and justice of the peace, and his memory is indissolubly connected with the progress of the city of Middletown, one of his chief benefactions being the gift of the land for the Wesleyan College. As one of the original members of the Western Reserve Land Co., he became the owner of nearly eighteen thousand acres of land in this State, and the town of Hubbard, Ohio, was named in his honor. He died February 6, 1837, By his marriage with Lucy Starr he had children, one of whom was a son, Richard, the Judge's grandfather, who was born March 27, 1792, and became a prominent resident of Middletown . In 1838 he was elected mayor of the city, and for many years he was president of the Middlesex Mutual Assurance Co. A graduate of Yale College, he was a man of fine culture, and, like all the family, he displayed much public spirit and liberality. In September 1814, he married Mary Cone, who was born February 27,1793, the daughter of Salmon and Mary Pinneo Cone, of Colchester, Connecticut He died September 1, 1839, and her death occurred in Ashtabula, Ohio, in 1850.
Their son, Edward Cone Hubbard, our subject's father, who was born September 27, 1824, eventually inherited the extensive tract of land in the Western Reserve, and in 1856 he removed to Ashtabula, where he made his home until his death, in 1892, at the age of sixty-nine years. His widow, Mrs. Sarah M. (Humphreys) Hubbard, who was born June 5, 1830, still resides at that place. She was a daughter of William and Maria Beach Humphreys, and a grandniece of Colonel David Humphreys, mentioned above, who served in the war as an aid on the staff of General Israel Putnam, and later on the staff of General Washington. A warm personal friendship was thus begun between him and Washington, which continued without intermission until the death of the latter. At the time Washington became President, Colonel Humphreys, at his request, assumed the duties of Major Domo of his official residence, and after his retirement passed months at a time at Mount Vernon, as the honored companion of his former chief. He was also minister from this country at Madrid and Lisbon, and while acting in that capacity succeeded in bringing to this country one hundred of the finest Infantado Merino sheep, in spite of the penalty of death provided by the laws of Spain for the taking of a Merino out of that country. With the flock thus acquired, he became the first manufacturer of fine woolen cloths in this country, and Thomas Jefferson, at his inauguration as President, wore a suit made of broadcloth manufactured and presented to him by Colonel Humphreys. In the War of 1812 he became a general, and he was prominent in the settlement of Marietta, Ohio, where he owned a large tract of land. He married the Countess Walewski, in France, where he afterwards died. Her maternal grandfather, Captain John Beach, was a captain in a Connecticut regiment in the same struggle, and the silver-mounted sword that he carried is a treasured heirloom in the family. It will be seen that Judge Hubbard comes of ancestry with whom high purpose and courageous achievement was "bred in the bone." While his life has happily fallen in peaceful times, there has been no lack of opportunity for the exercise in the forum, and in the world of business, for the shrewdness and valor which won success for his forefathers in other fields. He was born in Middletown, Connecticut, April 15, 1850, but his education was begun in the public schools of Ashtabula . At the age of nine years he was placed under the care of a private tutor, Rev. James Bonner, D. D., a graduate of the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, eminent for his scholastic attainments, and a well-known clergyman of the Episcopal Church. For seven years he remained under this gentleman's instruction, acquiring a thorough knowledge of Latin and other branches. At the age of nineteen he accepted a position as civil engineer in the construction of certain railroads in Missouri and Kansas, and while thus employed he began the study of law. Having fully decided to make the legal profession his life work, he returned to Ashtabula in 1870, and continued his studies while holding a position as bookkeeper and paymaster for contractors who were engaged in building railroads in Ohio. In 1871 he was admitted to the Bar at Columbus, Ohio, on motion before the Supreme court, and soon afterward he began to practice his profession at Ashtabula. In 1873, he was admitted to practice in the United States District and Circuit courts for the northern district of Ohio, and later, on motion of Senator Edmunds, was admitted to the Bar of the United States Supreme Court.
A pleasing incident, credible to both parties concerned, is connected with this event. It seems that Senator Edmunds made it a rule never to make a motion of that kind unless he knew positively that the applicant was thoroughly qualified, and he took a most ingenious way to test the fitness of Mr. Hubbard, with whom he was acquainted socially. While chatting one day the Senator began to look up some records, and would frequently ask his young friend's opinions, which were given, of course, with great freedom, and with no thought of any momentous issue depending upon their accuracy. This unique method of examination proved very satisfactory, and on parting the Senator requested Mr. Hubbard to be present at the next session of the Supreme court, offering to move for his admission.
Judge Hubbard attained a high standing among the legal fraternity at Ashtabula, and he remained there until February, 1881, when he removed to Napoleon, Ohio, where his abilities were likewise appreciated. In 1885 he located at Defiance, forming a partnership with Hon. W. D. Hill, then a member of Congress. This continued until 1891, when Mr. Hill moved to the West, and in 1893 Mr. Hubbard took another partner, J. H. Hockman, under the firm name of Hubbard and Hockman: This lasted until the fall of 1896, when Mr. Hubbard was elected Judge of the Court of Common Pleas.
The Judge is a close student, keeping well abreast of the times, a strong and accurate logician, and a thoroughly reliable counsellor. As a trial lawyer he is considered one of the ablest in northwestern Ohio, the fact being especially worthy of note that he never lost a case among all that he argued before the State Supreme Court. He accepted the position of city solicitor of Defiance for two terms, and has had some very important cases for the city. One of them, The Wabash Railroad Co. vs. The City of Defiance, lately decided in favor of the latter by the Supreme Court of the United States, is now the leading case in this country, on the subject of municipal control of the occupation and crossing of streets by railroads. Another, involving the validity of city bonds to the amount of ninety thousand dollars, is now pending in the United States Circuit Court, and is the only case in which he is still acting as counsel. In this case many new questions of great importance are to be determined. His course upon the Bench has demonstrated his eminent ability and impartiality as a judge, and scarcely any of his decisions have been reversed by the higher courts. Outspoken, fearless, strictly honorable in his dealings, the Judge holds the admiration and respect of all classes in the community, while his genial manners and sterling qualities of character quickly transform acquaintances into fast friends.
The Judge has always taken an active interest in politics, and at the age of nineteen began to defend the principles of the Democratic party from the rostrum. Since that time, each campaign has found him among the leading champions of that cause upon the "stump."
In 1881, Judge Hubbard was united in marriage with Miss Mary Moore, daughter of Rev. Dr. Moore, an Episcopal minister formerly of Baltimore, Maryland, and later of Ohio. Under the administration of the late Bishops Mcllvaine and Bedell, he was one of the examining chaplains of the Diocese of Ohio, and also presiding judge of the Ecclesiastical court. The Judge and his wife have three children: Lucy M., Edward M. and Nannie C, aged respectively (1898) fifteen, fourteen and eleven years. (Source: Commemorative biographical record of northwestern Ohio Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1899)
For more than three score years there dwelt in Defiance county, Ohio, Edwin Phelps (now deceased), a man of sterling integrity and sound judgment, whose character in its stern simplicity and upright bearing stands out plainly and distinctly, a type of that past generation whose watchword was Duty, whose characteristics were industry and honesty.
Edwin Phelps was born at Old De Kalb, St. Lawrence county, New York, December 30, 1815. In 1834 he emigrated from New York to what is now Defiance county, Ohio From an old memorandum book it is learned that on leaving New York he had three dollars in his pocket, and that he had borrowed to come west; when he reached northern Ohio he had seven cents left. On August 20, 1834, he was ferried across the Maumee river by the father of Mrs. Jonas Colby and E. F. Lindenberger. He expended his seven cents for crackers to appease his hunger, and then, through the assistance of an uncle, he found employment with the hotel-keeper for eight dollars a month and board. Three years later he was appointed clerk of the courts of Williams county, eight years before the organization of Defiance county. His active work in the interests of his town and county and his careful attention to whatever duties fell to his lot, made him a much-sought man for public office.
In 1839 he was admitted to the Bar before the Supreme Court of Ohio, and the committee that examined him Peter Hitchcock, Henry Stanberry. P. B. Wilcox, John W. Andrews and Judge George J. Smith was composed of men whose fame was national. In 1845, when the county seat of Williams county was changed from Defiance to Bryan, the people determined on the organization of Defiance county. As Mr. Phelps was well known as a stanch Democrat in his political faith, he was selected to go to Columbus and to use his influence to secure the erection of Defiance county; that his efforts were crowned with success is shown in the history of the State. He was appointed the first auditor of the new county, and was also a member of its first board of school examiners. Was elected clerk of the courts in 1857, and served for seventeen years. He was actively interested in politics for almost his entire life, attended all the State conventions as well as those of the county, and some of the National conventions. The last National convention to which he was a delegate was in 1864, when General George B. McClellan was nominated for the Presidency at Chicago . Chief Justice White of the Supreme Court of Ohio, after years of personal experience with the work of Mr. Phelps as clerk of the courts, said that "Mr. Phelps was the best and most accurate clerk of the courts in Ohio." He was not only prominent in politics, but also in every interest that seemed to tend to the improvement and progression of his community. He spent much time and money in securing the location of the Toledo and Illinois (now the Wabash) railroad through Defiance. Prior to this he was actively engaged in the construction of the 'Miami & Erie canal, on which for a time he was employed. It was through his influence and work that the Baltimore & Ohio road secured the right of way through Defiance, and again he labored almost unceasingly when the projected Columbus, Lima & Milwaukee road was first talked of. Mr. Phelps was a man of fine physique, and his wonderful constitution enabled him to perform tasks that an ordinary man could not conceive of. Long hours of work, physical or mental, seemed to leave no trace.
In 1840 Mr. Phelps was married to Mary A. Woodward, who survived but one year; in 1843 he married Emily Eaton, and to this union three children were born: Adelaide Victoria; Emily J., who married Charles Seymour, of Defiance; and Ida R., who married Mr. Gensheimer, and now lives in Erie, Pennsylvania. For his third wife Mr. Phelps, on September 25, 1862, married Evaline Richardson, and to this union were born: Mary Alice, who married J. W. Ackley, of Granville, Ohio; Helen Dorothy; Julia, who died in 1863; Grace, who died in 1870; Abbie, who married F. P. Weisenburger; and Edwin J. The father of this family was found ever kind and liberal in his home, true to his friends, honorable in his business relations, faithful to every trust. After four score years of toil, sustained by the love and respect of all who knew him, this grand old man passed quietly to his last rest, September 28, 1897. (Source: Commemorative biographical record of northwestern Ohio Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1899)
CHARLES ELIHU SLOCUM, M. D., PH. D.
Charles Elihu Slocum, M. D., Ph. D., physician, banker and philanthropist, of Defiance, Ohio, is of pure English ancestry, the ancient home of his race being near Taunton, Somersetshire, England.
The founder of the branch in the United States from which our subject descends was one Anthony Slocombe, who came to America with his wife and family at the time of the absolute and despotic reign of King Charles L, and was one of the first purchasers in 1637 of several townships of land around the present site of Taunton, Massachusetts, which town he helped to found. It was in the records of this purchase that the clerk gave the present spelling to the surname. American marriages have kept the blood of the descendants of this first American ancestor in pure English lines.
The direct ancestors of Doctor Slocum, covering eight generations in America, are as follows: Anthony's son Giles, born in England, was a young married man when he came from his native country, his wife's given name being Joann. He was prominent in the colony of Rhode Island, as a man of large possessions, and was also a leading member of the Society of Friends, the family affiliating with that religious body on its first appearance in New England in 1656. The descendants continued in that relation until after the Revolutionary war, when removal to eastern New York widely separated them from the Society. Giles and Joann Slocum had a family of nine children, the youngest of which was a son, Eleazer, born the 25th day of "10th month," 1664, in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. He became a resident of Dartmouth,Massachusetts,in1684. He married Elephel Fitzgerald, and one of their sons, also named Eleazer, born January 20, 1694, married Deborah Smith, and had a son, John, born August 4, 1717, who became a yeoman and trader. He married Deborah Almy, and had a son, Eleazer, born May 15, 1744, in Dartmouth, Massachusetts, who married Anstace Viall, and this couple, after the Revolutionary war, removed with their family to what is now known as Northville, Fulton County, New York, which remained the family home for many years. Joseph, the eldest son of Eleazer and Anstace Slocum, was born February 6, 1766, in Dartmouth, Massachusetts, and was married in Cambridge, New York, to Elizabeth Wright in 1790. Their second son, Caleb Wright Slocum, our subject's father, was born in Northville, New York, October 22, 1797, and died there in 1864. He was a man of strong character and high standing, and was engaged in various business enterprises, being a farmer, merchant, tanner and manufacturer. His wife, Elizabeth (Bass), was born at Northville, November 25, 1798, and died there in 1866. Coming now to the ninth generation, we return to our subject, who is also a native of Northville, New York, born December 30, 1841. His early education was obtained with the aim of preparing himself for teaching and general business, his studies being pursued in the schools of his native town, and by his own exertions in Fort Edward Collegiate Institute, and at Poughkeepsie, New York . Several years of his early manhood were passed partly in attending school and partly in teaching in public and private schools with ascending grades. His services were also in demand as instructor in teachers institutes.
While teaching in Albion, Michigan, in 1865, he began the study of medicine with a late army surgeon, Doctor Willoughby O'Donohue. He attended the medical department of the University of Michigan, giving special attention to analytical and applied chemistry, and practical microscopy. He also attended the Detroit Medical College, and in that city registered under the preceptorship of the venerable Professor Zina Pitcher and Doctor David O. Farrand, who were then in partnership. There he saw, and participated in, much of practical medicine and surgery. He attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, in New York City, and was there graduated Doctor in Medicine in 1869, with health somewhat impaired. He at once entered into partnership with his brother, Doctor John Caleb Slocum, who had established a large practice at Shelbyville, Indiana. In 1870 he traveled for his health through the South and along the Atlantic coast, and in July,1871, he settled in Defiance, Ohio, where he has since remained, excepting some travels for study and recreation. Parts of several years have been passed in post-graduate studies, embracing literary studies, general medicine, surgery and the various specialties, in New York and in Philadelphia, where he received a degree from Jefferson College upon examination. He also passed two years in the University of Pennsylvania, and there received the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in course, upon examination, with the highest grade of his class. In 1879, he visited Europe, giving attention to his profession in Vienna and London specially, and visiting other medical centers.
Doctor Slocum's practice has been general, including delicate work in the specialties as well as capital surgical operations, and his careful attention to details has brought him large patronage and gratifying success. He has been president of the Defiance County Medical Society, vice-president of the District Society, and member of the Ohio State Medical Society since 1874. He was chosen delegate from the State Society in 1875 to the American Medical Association, since which time he has been a permanent member of the last named body.
He became a member of the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences in 1876; charter member of the American Microscopical Society in 1878; member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1885 member of the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society; of the Ninth International Medical Congress in 1887; member of the American Academy of Political and Social Science from the first year of its organization ; and charter member of the Ohio State Academy of Science, of which he has been first vice-president. In 1896 he organized the Fort Defiance Scientific Association, with a membership of thirty-five, and he has since been its president. He is also a member of various other important societies of both a local and general character, including the American Public Health Association.
He served several years as United States examining surgeon for pensions, as railway surgeon, and as examiner for numerous life insurance companies. He has several times declined proffered professorships in medical colleges in different cities, but since 1896 he has been professor of psychology and ethics in the Cleveland College of Physicians and Surgeons, Cleveland, Ohio. His medical writings have been few, and confined mainly to reports of cases in his practice, which were published in different medical journals, and also occasional papers read before medical, scientific and other societies, by request.
In 1882 he published a large octavo volume, the preparation of which had been his principal diversion for several years, entitled "A Short History of the Slocums, Slocumbs and Slocombs of America, Genealogical and Biographical; Embracing Eleven Generations of the First Named Family, from 1637 to 1881: With their Alliances and the Descendants in the Female Lines so far as Ascertained. Also the Etymology of those Surnames, an Account of some Researches in England Concerning their Ancestors who bore the Parent Surname, Slocombe, etc." This is styled a model book by the historical journals in their reviews, and it has had a good circulation among the families and their affiliations, and to libraries. Material has been accumulated for a second volume on the same subject. These studies have been valuable to him in their relation to sociology, heredity, etc. In 1898 he began writing the History of Defiance, Ohio, and its Vicinity From the Earliest Times.
Doctor Slocum has been a constant hard worker in his profession, and he believes in systematic diversion as a recreation for regular life work. This diversion from professional labors he has found in scientific and literary studies, and in business. In the last, as in other lines, he has gained success. He was chosen a director of the Defiance National Bank in 1874, and continued to serve in that capacity until the expiration of its charter, when the bank was reorganized, with largely increased capital, as the First National Bank, and he was chosen director and vice-president, which offices he still holds. He was one of the principal stockholders at the organization of the Defiance Savings Bank, which was merged, in 1881, into the Merchants National Bank, of which institution he has been a director, and part of the time vice-president and acting president. He has also been interested in several of the principal manufacturing institutions of his city, and is now president of two of those more recently organized.
Doctor Slocum began his business life poor, and under adverse physical and other conditions, and his professional and financial successes have been the result of continued painstaking and laborious application to his profession, together with economy and judicious investments of the proceeds of his toil. His professional motto has been from the first, "I desire that it ever be more to the interest of my patients to employ me than to my interest to be employed by them." His tastes and habits have been formed from reason and judgment, keeping in mind the most desirable from a social and physical stand-point avoiding tobacco, alcoholic beverages and excesses of all kinds, from both medical and moral motives. His health, which was frail in earlier life, has under this regime grown better with the years. He has carried the stamp of integrity into all his professional and business relations, and his methods are referred to by all who know him best as examples worthy of imitation. A true philanthropist, he has always been liberal to the poor, but his many and various benefactions have been unheralded by himself. His largest single donation was the gift, in 1894, of a library building to the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, of which institution he is a trustee. He not only gave the funds for the erection of the building, but he entered with characteristic enthusiasm upon the work of visiting the leading libraries in America, as he had done in Europe, studying their good qualities and their defects, and working up, with the university's financial secretary, Rev. John M. Barker, Ph. D., plans that should produce a model university library building in every respect, which this building was desired to be. He also superintended its construction in a general way. All its outer walls are of Bedford buff limestone, and its interior construction is of steel and other incombustible material, thus being thoroughly fireproof throughout. It has a capacity of over two hundred thousand volumes, most of which will be stored in a wing on the stack system. Careful attention was given to the lighting, to ventilation, to convenience, and to the heating by indirect hot water radiation. The grand reading room has sittings for several hundred students; rooms for seminar work with departmental libraries are numerous, and in all its appointments it is ample in proportions, and represents modern ideas for a large university library. This building was dedicated June 20, 1898.
Doctor Slocum has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years, also of the various regular Masonic orders, including the Knights Templars and the Scottish Rite. He was formerly a member of the Ohio Consistory at Cincinnati, but is now connected with the Lake Erie Consistory, Cleveland, Ohio, of which he is a charter member.
During his early medical studies Doctor Slocum began the nucleus around which he has accumulated a valuable private library, numbering about five thousand volumes of carefully selected works. Here medicine and surgery, archaeology and general science are seen to be specialties with him, although history, general and special literature and art are represented prominently on the shelves. This valuable collection of books he keeps open for the use of the public, free of charge. The Doctor is still a student, keeping in touch with the world's progress, and is thoroughly informed on the current literature of the day. Politically he affiliates with the Republican party. He remains a bachelor. (Source: Commemorative biographical record of northwestern Ohio Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1899)
This well-known business man of Defiance, although now past the allotted limit of three-score and ten years, is still vigorous and alert, and is active in the management of his large estate, and also in public affairs, in which he wields wide influence.
Like many of our leading citizens, he is of German birth, having been born June 23, 1823, at the village of Oberkerchan (Upper Church ), near St. Wendel and Kuzell, in northern Prussia . His father, Jacob Wilhelm, a farmer, came to the United States in 1835, with his wife, Atilla Smith, and their family of children. They first located at Bethlehem, Stark county, Ohio, where the father and the older sons were employed in the mines for two years. The family then spent one year at Bolivar, Stark county, and three years in Tuscarawas county, near Canal Dover. At the latter place all suffered extremely from fever and ague, even the dogs being afflicted, one falling away to "skin and bone" from the effects of the disease. The bills for medical attendance amounted to fifteen hundred dollars, and on one visit the doctor told our subject, then a lad of twelve, to tell his parents to move to another climate, as there were not enough drugs in his drug store to cure them. About this time an Indian woman came to. see his mother, who was then sick in bed as a result of her protracted sufferings, and told her to take pure pepper, grind it, and take a spoonful in vinegar or whisky. This simple remedy was tried and proved effective, two or three doses all around banishing the ague forever from the house-hold. In 1840 the family moved to Brunersburg, Defiance county, and in the same year our subject bought a farm in Marion township, Henry county, where both his parents breathed their last, the mother in 1844, and the father in 1876. When the family first settled there their only neighbors were Indians, who were most amiable and friendly, doing them many favors, even bringing occasionally a pail of wild honey or a saddle of venison. The father was an old-fashioned Democrat, and in religious faith was a devout Catholic, his remains being laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery at New Bavaria. As Adam Wilhelm was about twelve years old when he came to this country, he had already had some education in the schools of his native land. He attended school in Tuscarawas county while living there, and for two years he and a little girl from a neighboring family, named Hughes, rode three miles to school on a mule. In the fall of 1840 he took a position as clerk for Sidney & Sprague at Defiance, and six months later he was asked to take charge of a toll bridge which had just been built by Mr. Sprague and others. The offer was made by the other members of the company, but Mr. Sprague objected strongly, saying that Mr. Wilhelm was the best clerk he had and he could not spare him. However, his partners overcame his unwillingness and Mr. Wilhelm took charge of the bridge, remaining there eighteen months, and fully justifying the confidence of his employers in his ability and integrity. His life there was not without its amusing side. One day John and William Price and Elisha Thorpe came to the bridge, and John asked what the toll was. Mr. Wilhelm said that it was not much, only three cents apiece. "Do you charge extra for baggage?" inquired Mr. Price. "No," said Mr. Wilhelm, "you can carry all you want to." At this Mr. Price stooped over, and, his two companions climbing up on his back, he carried them across, Mr. Wilhelm walking by his side to see that he "toted fair."
In the fall of 1844 he became a clerk in the dry-goods store of C. L. Noble & Co., with the privilege of attending school in winter. This arrangement lasted one year, but for two years following he was paid forty dollars per month. As he could talk both English and German, he controlled the German trade from a wide circuit, and he thought himself entitled to higher wages. The firm refused to give him more, so Mr. Wilhelm entered the employ of Cyrus Lyman at North Defiance for fifty dollars a month, and remained until the store was sold. In 1847 Mr. Wilhelm opened a grocery on his own account in a building belonging to Mr. Lyman, at the north end of the bridge, Mr. Lyman endorsing for him at Toledo for his stock. After four months at that location Mr. Wilhelm moved to the south end of the bridge, locating on the west side of the road. He prospered, and in 1853 he removed to the present site of the Wilhelm block, forming a partnership with G. M. Weisenberger in a general mercantile business. They continued four years, during which time Mr. Wilhelm became an invalid through drinking too much ice water. For a time his case seemed desperate, and he spent six thousand dollars in cash traveling about in search of a remedy, but finally he was cured by three weeks treatment from Dr. Brooks, a young physician at Gilboa, Ohio, at a cost of one dollar and a half!
In 1857 Mr. Wilhelm went to Independence and bought a grocery, which he carried on for four years. He also purchased one hundred and twelve acres of land on credit from George Philips, a wholesale grocer of Dayton, Ohio, who supplied him also with twenty-two hundred dollars worth of goods on time. The entire indebtedness amounted to six thousand dollars, which Mr. Wilhelm paid off in six years. In 1861 he returned to Defiance and formed a partnership with a brother-in-law; but nine months later he purchased his partner's interest. He continued the business successfully for fifteen years, buying his groceries by the carload, and also engaged extensively in the lumber trade. He virtually conducted a banking- business during part of this time, as he cashed lumbermen's drafts to a large amount. Real-estate speculation also occupied his attention, and at one time he owned three thousand acres of land, much of it being heavily wooded. He disposed of the timber to lumbermen at a handsome profit, and sold part of the land, but still has about two thousand acres. His wealth is largely invested in Defiance. He owns two houses and lots, two hundred vacant lots, the Wilhelm block, containing three stores, the Defiance mills, purchased in 1876; the Erie mills, and the Cement mill, two miles south of the city. The first two mills are now operated by a stock company, known as the Maumee Valley Milling Co., of which Mr. Wilhelm is president; William Ryan, treasurer, and J. R. Wilhelm, our subject's son, general manager. Mr. Wilhelm is one of the promoters of the village of Holgate, and contributed his share to the building of schools and railroads. He is still actively engaged in buying and selling real estate.
In politics he is a Democrat, and his abilities have given him prominence in this line also. He was county commissioner for two terms, city councilman three terms, and city treasurer two terms. He is a leading member of the Catholic Church, and was one of the chief workers in the erection of the first church of that faith in Defiance, a frame building on the site of St. John's . He also assisted in building the first M. E. church ever erected in Defiance.
Mr. Wilhelm was married April 5, 1847, to Miss Mary Rickert, who died in 1875, leaving six children: John R.; Frank; Catherine, now Mrs. William Jackson; Amelia; Clara; and Adam, who was killed, in 1891, at the age of nineteen, by the kick of a horse. In 1841-42 Mr. Wilhelm assisted in the constructing of the Miami and Erie canal, and in the construction of the dam across the Maumee river at Independence, the foundation timbers were bolted to the rock of the river bed, and Mr. Wilhelm carried the bolts for this purpose to the workmen who were putting in the foundation. He safely passed through the cholera epidemic which raged for a time at Independence . He was one of a committee of three Mr. Abies, Mr. Metts, and our subject for the burying of the dead from the disease. So fast were the people carried away by the plague that the members of this committee were obliged to work day and night at their task, which so overcame some of them that they had to give up the work for recuperation; others then had to be secured to relieve them of their arduous duty. One assistant, Isaac Hively, agreed to assist in the burying for five dollars each. He buried three, and the next notice to the committee was that Mr. Hively had died of the same dreadful disease. During the cholera siege our subject would talk with a man on business, and within four hours thereafter would be called upon to bury the same party! (Source: Commemorative biographical record of northwestern Ohio Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1899)