JOHN M. ALEXANDER
Was born in Delaware county, Ohio, May 17, 1841. He is a son of John and Mary (Wise) Alexander, both of whom are deceased. Mr. Alexander was married to Eliza H. Hill, in this county, October 29, 1868. She was born in Yates county, New York. She is a daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Murphy) Hill, the former of whom is deceased, and the latter resides in Gallia county, where she settled in 1852. The children of Mr. Alexander are Edgar II., born May 3, 1870; Oscar C., June 23, 1875, and Mary H., June 2, 1879. Mr. Alexander is at present filling the office of trustee in Gallipolis township, having been elected in 1880; he was township trustee in 1879. Mr. Alexander served his country during the late war. He was a member of Company A, 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was first sergeant of that company, and was wounded at the battle of Fisher Hill, in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, September 22, 1864. He is in the mercantile business in Gallipolis, having settled here in 1859. His postoffice address is Gallipolis, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882.]
Daniel Bennett, farmer, section 14, Washington township, came to Whitley county, this state, with his parents, John and Susan Bennett, in 1839, where they remained two years. The father bought 160 acres of land of George Goodin, commencing in the woods where there had not been a stick cut except what had been cut by the Indians. He had built a log cabin and cleared a small piece, when the father sold out and bought 120 acres where the widow Brown now lives, on section 12, Washington township. He purchased it of James Lytle. This was also a new farm. They built a round-log house, one story high and one room. About two years later the father built a hewed-log house. After awhile the father sold forty acres of his land and moved to the farm now owned by John Orr, where he died in September, 1863. He was born in Pennsylvania July 10, 1797, and when a young man he removed with his parents to Delaware county, Ohio, where he was married to Miss Susan Decker. She was born in Pennsylvania, May 16, 1805, and when quite young her parents brought her to Delaware county. She died March 16, 1864, and is buried in the McNeal cemetery. Daniel Bennett was born in Delaware county, February 18, 1829, and was about ten years old when his parents brought him to Whitley county. January 16, 1851, he was married to Miss Rachel Wilber, who was born in Woodbury township, Caledonia county, Vermont, December 1, 1828. When she was about nine years old her family removed to Delaware county, Ohio, where she was reared and married. Her father Philanthropy Wilber, was born February 7, 1806, in Calais, Washington county, Vermont, where he grew to manhood. January 5, 1826, he was married to Olive Kenaston. In 1837 they removed to Delaware County, Ohio . The father died in Mercer county, Illinois, April 19, 1879. The parents came to this county in 1853, and the following March removed to Mercer county, where he bought a farm. The mother was born October 22, 1805, in Cabot, Washington county, Vermont, where she was reared and educated. She is living with her daughter Martha, in Phillips county, Kansas, at the ripe old age of eighty years. Both parents experienced religion when young, and always lived Christian lives. Mrs. Bennett’s grandfather, Holden Wilber, was born in Maine, but in his later life he lived with his son Philanthropy. Her grandmother, Polly ( Gary ) Wilber, died at the home of her daughter in Taunton, Massachusetts, aged about eighty-eight years. Her husband died at the age of seventy-five years. Her maternal grandmother, Betsey (Daniels) Kenaston, was born in Nottingham county, March 19, 1783, and died in La Salle county, Illinois, in 1863. Her maternal grandfather, Samuel Kenaston, was also born in Nottingham, New Hampshire, May 23, 1775, and died in Delaware county, Ohio . They were both Christian people. The grandfather had quite a remarkable memory, and could repeat whole books of the Bible. After his vision became impaired, he could repeat chapter after chapter, and conducted family worship, reading the chapters as readily as though his sight had not failed. In her grandfather Kenaston’s family were thirteen children and three of them preachers. Mr. Bennett’s grandfather, Oliver Bennett, was born in Scotland, and died in Ohio in 1836. He was a young man when he came to America, and entered the army for independence. He was wounded, and afterward drew a pension. He had two sons in the war of 1812. His grandmother Bennett drew a pension while she lived and died in Delaware county, Ohio . His maternal grandfather, John Decker, died in Coles county, Illinois . His grandmother Decker, formerly Rachel Courtright, also died in Coles county, about the same time her husband did. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett have three children – Caroline L., born May 20, 1852, was twice married; first husband was Samuel Ridinger, who died November 8, 1883; second husband was A. R. Bergman; Lorenzo Augustus and Louisa Augusta, twins, were born February 28, 1854. Lorenzo was married in June, 1880, to Emma Clemens, and Louisa married Freeman Daniels for her first husband and Thomas Carter for her second husband. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett have the care of the children their daughter Caroline had by her first husband. Their names are Nellie R. and Wilson R. Mrs. Bennett is a member of the Free-will Baptist church, and Mr. Bennett is politically a Democrat. He has in his possession a powder horn which his father carried while he lived, and he himself has carried for many years.
The first time Daniel attempted to kill deer he shot one, the ball passing through it and lodging in another deer, killing tham both. When his father arrived in this county he had only 25 cents left after paying off the men that brought him here. He went on the prairie to work to support his wife and nine children, the oldest boy being about twelve years old. Daniel and his oldrer brother cleared away a few acres in the fall and winter with the assistance of the mother, who piled the brush to encourage the boys. There was one week they had nothing in the house to eat but turnips. This was owing to a heavy snow storm that prevented the father from coming home with provisions. Isaac, the oldest boy, died in the army, but it is not known where. He was last heard from at Huntsville, Alabama, where he was put on the cars with other sick soldiers and started for Nashville . It is supposed that he died on the way, and was put off at a small station. Our subject enlisted in February, 1865, in Company D, One Hundred and Fifty-second Regiment, and was discharged in July following.
His company did guard and police duty. He received a sunstroke while on general review at Summit Point, in the Shenandoah Valley, which so disabled him that he was discharged. [Source: "Biographical and Historical Record of Kosciusko County, Indiana." Chicago, IL, USA : Lewis Publishing, 1887 - Sub by L. Dietz]
EDWARD T. BRANDEBURY
BRANDEBURY, Edward T, Minneapolis. Res 2409 Garfleld av, office 215 Security Bank bldg. Lawyer. Born March 28, 1859 in Delaware O, son of Charles B and Martha J (Hamilton) Brandebury. Married Nov 7, 1901 to Elizabeth Van Anda. Educated in public schools. Graduated Ohio Wesleyan Univ 1880; law school 1883. Moved to Minneapolis 1883 and continued practice there until 1887; practiced in Delaware O 1887-1904; removed to Minneapolis and has practiced there to date. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
Henry H Brenizer, a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Prairie Township, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, in 1837, and is a son of Jacob and Margaret (Griffith) Brenizer. The father (Jacob Brenizer, 1793-1869) was of Dutch ancestry, and born in Pennsylvania about 1792. Afterward he went to Maryland, where he was married in 1821. Nine years later he removed to Delaware County, Ohio (now Morrow County), where he spent the remainder of his life. His death occurred in 1869. The mother (Margaret Griffith Brenizer, 1803-1879 , tombstone) was born in Maryland in 1803, and died in 1882, a member of the Baptist church. Our subject received a common-school education while living at home, and in 1863 was married to Miss Frances (Barr), daughter of Merrick and Emeline Barr, a native of Zanesville, Ohio, by whom he has six children, four living, viz.: Grant, Cicero, May and Avis. Mr. Brenizer came to Schuyler County immediately after his marriage, and purchased eighty acres of raw prairie land two miles east of Queen City, which he has since increased to 360 acres, 120 acres being situated just south of the town. The home farm is under a very high state of cultivation and improvement, the outbildings being very fine. Mr. Brenizer is a self-made man, and his property is the natural result of frugality and industry. During the war he served a short time in the Missouri State Militia, and he is always interested in the general welfare and prosperity of the county. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, a Republican, and cast his first presidential vote for Lincoln in 1860. [Eource: History of Adair, Sullivan, Putnam and Schuyler Counties, Missouri, 1888. Goodspeed Publishing Co., Pages 1188-1189]
HERMAN D. CROW
Herman D. Crow, associate justice of the Washington Supreme Court, is a native of Ohio, 57 years of age, and a resident of Spokane. He was born in the town of Delaware, Ohio, where his father was at the time principal of the preparatory department and instructor in Latin and Greek in the Ohio Wesleyan University. When a child, his parents moved to Urbana, Ohio, where his father took up the practice of law and where he still resides, at the age of 87 years. As a boy Herman D. Crow attended the Urbana high school and afterwards the Ohio Wesleyan University, graduating from that institution in 1871. After graduating from college Herman D. Crow returned to Urbana and read law in the office of his father and in the office of Young & Chance. He was admitted to the bar in December 1873.
In 1886 Judge Crow moved to Winfield Kansas, where he practiced law until 1890.
In the year 1890 Judge Herman D. Crow was sent to Spokane by a wealthy client to represent the latter’s extensive interests in eastern Washington and northern Idaho. Shortly after going to Spokane Judge Crow formed a partnership with W. E. Richardson, who afterwards was judge of the superior court for Spokane and Stevens counties for eight years. Judge Crow then formed a partnership with James A. Williams, which continued to the time of Judge Crow’s elevation to the Supreme Court bench.
In 1898 he was elected to the state senate to fill the unexpired term of Horace E. Houghton, deceased. He was re-elected in 1900 and served in the sixth, seventh and eighth legislatures and was chairman of the judiciary committee of the senate in the eighth legislature. While a member of the senate Senator Crow supported all reasonable labor measures, railway reform legislation and railroad commission bills, local option measures, etc.
In 1901 he was appointed regent of the Washington State College at Pullman by Governor Rogers, who later re-appointed him. He resigned the regency of the State college in 1905 upon being appointed justice of the Supreme Court at the time of the increase of the membership of the court from five to seven members.
In 1906 he was nominated without opposition in the republican state convention to succeed himself for the short term on the Supreme Court bench, and is now a candidate before the people on the non-partisan judicial ticket for the full term of six years. Judge Crow was a presidential elector in 1904 and had the pleasure of voting for his old college mate, Charles W. Fairbanks, for Vice President. At the last commencement exercises of the State College the honorary degree of L. L. D. was conferred upon Judge Crow.
Judge Crow was married in 1877 to Miss Florence Mendenhall of Delaware, Ohio, an alumnus of the college from which her husband had graduated. They have one son, Captain Denton M. Crow, who is married and is practicing law in Spokane, in partnership with his father’s former partner, Judge Richardson. [The Leavenworth Echo. (Leavenworth, Wash.) August 28, 1908]
DUDLEY B. FINCH
FINCH, Dudley B, St Paul. Res 579 Summit av, office 225 E 4th st. Merchant. Born Nov 9, 1852 in Deleware O, son of Sherman Finch. Married 1878 to Mary Dexter Hudson Wis. Educated in public schools of Ohio and graduated from high school Mt Vernon. Removed to St Paul in 1861 and continued his studies. Engaged in dry goods business with his brother; was member of the firm of Albrecht, Lanpher & Finch succeeded by Lanpher, Finch & Skinner 1901; former pres of French, Finch & Henry Mnfg Co whol dealers in shoes, rubbers, boots etc. Member Minnesota and Commercial clubs. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Anna Parks]
DAVID P. KYLE
DAVID P. KYLE is a native of Delaware County, Ohio, where he was born October 14, 1844. His father, E.D. Kyle, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, and his mother, whose maiden name was Angeline Grove, was a native of Genesee County, New York. About the year 1857, the family moved to Howard County, Indiana. David passed his youth on a farm, and was educated in the common schools. March 22, 1862, he enlisted in the Eighth Indiana Cavalry, and was in service for three years, being discharged in June, 1865. He took part in numerous engagements, among which were the siege of Corinth, battle of Stone River, Chickamauga and numerous minor engagements. After being discharged, he returned to Indiana, where he was engaged in the drug business for one year, and in March, 1865, he came west, locating in Holt County, Missouri. For two years he gave his attention to the drug business at Oregon, after which he engaged in farming, and after making that locality his home for some time, he came to Atchison County in January, 1876. He then settled on his present place in section 31, of Dale Township, where he has 200 acres of land, all fenced and improved, with an orchard of 120 apple trees. Mr. Kyle makes a specialty of handling and feeding stock for the market. May 29, 1869, he was married in Holt County, to Miss Lydia J. Anselment, daughter of Joseph Anselment. She was born in Marion County, Ohio, July 1, 1849. They have had three children, of whom survive: Harry D., born June 25, 1872, and Alvaro J., born January 10, 1874. Mr. and Mrs. Kyle are members of the Methodist Church. The former is independent in politics, but was formerly a Republican. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
All that is here given in reference to Albert Picket, is gathered from incidental references to him in educational periodicals. The labors of such a pioneer deserve a minute description but unfortunately the materials are not at hand.
He began in New York City, in January, 1811, a periodical called the "Juvenile .Monitor, or Educational Magazine." It is believed to be the first periodical of the kind published in the United States . It did not enter upon the second volume. In February, 1818, he, with J. W. Picket, started in the same city the "Academician" which was equally short-lived.
Through the exertions of Albert Picket and Alexander Kinmont, in 1829, there was organized in Cincinnati, the Western Academic Institute and Hoard of Education, from which originated the famous Western Literary Institute and College of Professional Teachers, before which, in 1834, he delivered the opening address, on the objects of the Institute. He afterwards delivered addresses and reports as follows; in 1835, on "Education;" in 1830, on "Parents, Teachers, and Schools;" in 1837, on the "Formation of Character in Individuals;" in 1838, on "Reforms in Education;" in 1839, on the "Qualifications of Teachers;" and, in 1841, on the "Want of Education." When in Cincinnati, he was principal of the Cincinnati Female Seminary. He afterwards became a resident of Delaware, Ohio, and in July, 1850, at the meeting of the Ohio State Teachers' Association, in Springfield, there was presented by Mr. Williams a report prepared by Mr. Picket, on "Teaching Reading."
The following is found in the Ohio School Journal, of September, 1848, edited in Columbus, Ohio, by Dr. Lord (Vol. 88, page 138) : "Albert Picket, Senior, for many years Principal of the Manhattan School in this city, one of the most efficient and enterprising teachers of our country, is still living at Delaware, Ohio. This gentleman now in his 79th year, taught half a century, and was always twenty years in advance of the majority of the profession. He always acted well his part, and he is still quickening and comfort' those who labor for the cause of education. Teachers' Advocate (N. Y.).
"We rejoice to meet, from the scene of his former toils, this just tribute to a veteran teacher. It has been our privilege, in addition to occasional correspondence, to enjoy the privilege of several cheering interviews with 'Father Picket,' as he is affectionately and reverently styled here in Ohio, and. last autumn, to labor with him for a week in the instruction of a class of some hundred teachers.
"It is a matter of gratitude that he is permitted to spend the evening of his days so quietly and pleasantly in the family of a beloved and affectionate son. But, as he looks back upon his life, what unutterable emotions and what varied recollections must throng the echoing chambers of his soul! 'He taught for half a century!' and during that time laid his forming hand, as it were, upon some thousands of opening minds. In each and all of these minds, he awakened emotions, kindled aspirations, developed energies, and into all instilled principles, to which, but for him they might forever have been strangers. And these minds still live! They are not of the perishable material upon which the architect, the painter, or the sculptor, lavishes his labor and skill. The emotions awakened continue to thrill them; the aspirations kindled, to elevate them; the energies developed, to propel them; and the principles instilled, to guide them onward through time and through eternity.
Many of those on whom his forming influence was exerted, and to whom his instructions were imparted, are now filling important and responsible stations in life, and are in turn exerting a controlling influence in the formation of those who are to succeed them upon the stage; others have passed from earth, but, whether in this or the unseen world, they still live, and the impressions made, and the influences exerted upon them, have done their work toward forming the characters they now possess, and which they will be likely to retain while canvas shall moulder and granite and marble crumble to dust. But perhaps one of the most interesting reflections which arise in the mind of the faithful teacher, on a review of his labors, is, that among all his pupils he has not a single enemy. Let others wear laurels and receive plaudits of mankind, but give me the retrospect of the famous teacher." [Source: "Educational History of Ohio" by James J. Burns., pub. 1905 - LR - Sub. by FoFG]
WILLIAM S. ROSECRANS
MAJOR-GENERAL WILLIAM S. ROSECRANS was born in Delaware county, Ohio, in December, 1819, was admitted into West Point at the age of nineteen, and graduated with high honors in 1842. In 1843, he was Assistant Professor of Engineering at West Point, and in 1847, was on duty at Newport. In 1853, he completed the survey of the harbors of New Bedford, Providence, and the Taunton river. In 1854, he was on duty at the Washington Navy Yard. Resigning from the army in 1854, he spent some years in Cincinnati as civil engineer and architect, and was then appointed Chief Engineer of the State of Ohio. He was made colonel of the Twenty-third Ohio volunteers on the outbreak of the war, and brigadier-general in the regular army in June, 1861. He gained great honor at the battle of Rich Mountain, July 12th, and in that of Carnifex Ferry, September 10th. In March, 1862, he was made major-general of volunteers, and was placed in command of the Third division of the Army of the Mississippi. He gained the battle of Iuka, in Mississippi, September 19th, and that of Corinth, on the 8d and 4th of October, 1862. Succeeding General Buell in command of the Army of the Cumberland, he fought the battle of Murfreesboro. He restored order in the city of Nashville, and from thence marched to Chattanooga. Rosecrans had marched across the Cumberland mountains, by means of a flank movement, and captured the latter place. The battle of Chickamauga was disastrous to the Union arms, and was only retrieved by the firmness of the left wing, under General Thomas. General Rosecrans, some time after, became commander of the Military Department of Missouri, with his headquarters at St. Louis. [Source: "A Complete History of the Great Rebellion of the Civil War in the U.S. 1861-1865 with Biographical sketches of the Principal actors in the Great Drama", By Dr. James Moore, Published 1875 - LR - Sub. by FoFG]
ROBERT I. SKILES has, in a comparatively short period, built up a most lucrative and successful business in real estate, loans and insurance at Wenatchee, Chelan county. He was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, December 14, 1852.
John W. Skiles, his father, had a remarkable war record, and his regiment, the Twenty-third Ohio Infantry, contained more illustrious men than any other engaged in the Civil War. Among them may be included President Hayes, President McKinley, Colonel Stanley Matthews, later Judge of the federal supreme court, several lieutenant governors of Ohio, and a number of men who have since become prominent in railroad circles. Captain Skiles had the honor of succeeding Major R.B. Hayes, the promotion being accorded to him for bravery in the field of battle. He lost an arm at the battle of South Mountain. From 1890 until 1893 he had charge of government timber in Oregon and Washington.
Cornelia (Irons) Skiles, mother of our subject, was a native of Pennsylvania. Her father was an editor and conducted a number of newspapers in that state and was prominent in Masonic circles. Over his remains the fraternity erected an imposing monument. Politically he was an old-line Democrat, later a Republican. He died in 1856 at Uniontown, Pennsylvania.
Robert I. Skiles, our subject, was reared in Ohio, and was graduated from the Delaware College. He came to Nebraska, where he engaged in the stock business, feeding from four to six hundred head of cattle. In 1885-6 he went to Denver, Colorado, and into the real estate business, which vocation he has since followed successfully. Between 1890 and 1901 he was in San Diego and Los Angeles, California, and in the latter year came to Wenatchee, Washington. He handles fruit ranches, city property and the most extensive loan business in the city. He has four brothers living, John W., Jr., Charles E., Harry I., Ernest C. His two sisters are Cora Sabin and Jennie Byron.
At San Diego, California, our subject was married to Ella Routson, March 19, 1892. She was a native of Nebraska, and died November 17, 1898, aged twenty-four years. Her father is John G. Routson, and is at present an orange grower in Southern California. She left one child, Robert, now residing with his grandparents. Mrs. Skiles had one brother and two sisters, Edward, and Edna and Grace, the two latter living with their parents at San Diego, California. [SOURCE: "An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington"; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - Tr. by Tammie Rudder]
Son of Thomas and Maria (Alexander) Willey, was born in Delaware county, Delaware, September 14, 1836. He is a farmer in Clay township. He married Frances R., daughter of Jacob and Hannah (Coffman) Smith, in Gallia county, April 7, 1862. She was born in Mason county, West Virginia, December 16, 1840. They have five children: Edward F., born October 17, 1863; Jane T., November 9, 1865; Wesley B., February 3, 1867; Lotta A., April 1, 1871; Lizia M., September 12, 1874. They all live at home. He served three years in the 36th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, taking part in a great many severe engagements. Postoffice address, Clipper Mills, Gallia county, Ohio. [SOURCE: History of Gallia County: Containing A Condensed History of the County; Biographical Sketches; General Statistics, Miscellaneous Matters, &c; James P. Averill; Hardesty & CO., Publishers, Chicago and Toledo. 1882. TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE: There is no Delaware County in Delaware, so this may possibly should have been Delaware co, OH - which is why it's here :-) ]