Rev. Robert C.Galbraith
A man of strong character, earnest convictions, and deep consecration, Rev. Robert C.Galbraith, of Chillicothe, who died November 18, 1916 was for upwards of 40 years an active worker in the Presbyterian denomination, holding pastorates in different parts of Ohio. A son of Robert C.Galbraith, Sr., He was born in Frankfort, Ross County, Ohio, November 30, 1833, and they're spent of the earlier years of his life. Robert C. Galbraith, Sr., was born, March 17, 1790, in Gortin, county Tyrone, Ireland, where his father, Andrew Galbraith, who was of Scotch descent, spent his entire life, being engaged in agricultural pursuits. Growing to manhood in Ireland, he was employed as a clerk in a mercantile establishment in county Tyrone until 1819, when he came to America, making his way directly to Chillicothe, Ohio. Soon after his arrival, he secured a position as a clerk in the store of William Carson, with whom he subsequently formed a partnership, and operated a store in Frankfort for some time. At that time there were neither railroads or canals in the state, and all goods were transported from the rivers and lakes with teams. Giving up his connection with the general store in 1839, he located on a nearby farm that had been improved by his father in law, Elijah Johnson, and thenceforth was engaged in tilling the soil until his death, May 11, 1862. The maiden name of the wife of Robert C. Galbraith, Sr., was Martha Johnson. She as born February 16, 1801, in Louisa County, Virginia, a daughter of a Elijah of and Betsy (Watkins) Johnson, natives, it is thought, of the same county. Coming with his family to Ohio in 1809, Elijah Johnson bought 1000 acres of land in Concord Township, Ross County, and immediately began the pioneer task of improving a homestead. He succeeded well in his undertakings, and in the course of a few years erected a substantial brick house, which is still used for residential purposes , burning the bricks used in its construction on his own farm. Late in life both he and his wife moved to Montgomery County, and there lived with a son. Mrs. Robert C. Galbraith, Sr., survived her husband, passing away March 5, 1875. She reared two children, namely: Robert C., This special subject of the sketch; and Eliza J., Who became a Physician, and was actively engaged in the practice of his profession and Chillicothe until his death, 1907. Acquiring his preliminary education in the district schools, Robert C. Galbraith was fitted for college in the academy of South Salem, Ross County, after which he continued his studies for a year at Hanover college, in Madison, Indiana. Going then to Oxford, Ohio, he was graduated from Miami university in 1853, and the following year studied theology at Princeton University. Wishing then to further advance knowledge of the theological subjects, he attended the theological seminary at New Albany, Indiana, which is now the Mccormick theological seminary of Chicago, Illinois. In 1856, Mr. Galbraith was licensed to preach by the Chillicothe presbytery, and in 1857 was ordained as a minister by the presbytery of Columbus. He soon after became pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Lancaster, Ohio, and continued active in the ministry for 42 years, holding pastorates in Concord, Frankfort, and Chillicothe, filling the pulpit of the Presbyterian church of the latter name city for 17 years. Early in 1861, Mr. Galbraith was appointed chaplain of the Third brigade, Ohio volunteers, with rank of captain, and was in service four months, being with his command in West Virginia. While pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Lancaster he was for four years chaplain at the Ohio reform farm. On June 11, 1856, Mr. Galbraith was united in marriage with Margaret Lapham Pugsley, which was born in Dutchess County, New York, and died in Chillicothe, Ohio, July 24, 1912. Her parents, Jacob and Mary (Ketcham) Pugsley, natives of the same county, came with their family to Ohio, locating first Fayette County, later settling in Dayton, from their moving to Hamilton County. Three children blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Galbraith, namely: Jacob R., an Atty.; Helen K., also engaged in the practice of law; and Eliza Johnson, a dentist. All are residents of Chillicothe. Mr. Galbraith was a member of the phi theta kappa society. He is author of a very interesting history of Chillicothe presbytery, which was published in 1889. [A Standard History of Ross County, Ohio: An Authentic Narrative of the Past, with Particular Attention to the Modern Era in the Commercial, Industrial, Civic and Social Development. By: Lyle S. Evans. - CM - Sub by FoFG]
COLEMAN HENTON came to Miami County (Ind.) in 1837, and is a native of Washington, Fayette County, Ohio. He was born March 7, 1822, and is the eldest son of Benjamin and Rachel (Stinson) Henton, natives of Rockingham County, Virginia, and Ross County, Ohio, respectively, the former being born in 1793 and the latter in 1801. They came to Peru in 1837, where the husband followed the practice of medicine until March, 1863, when his death occurred. He was elected to the Legislature in 1846 and to the State Senate in 1852, serving one term in each house. The subject was reared principally in Peru where he secured a very good education. He was elected Sheriff on the Democratic ticket in 1847 and served two terms, and was a mail agent from 1856 to 1860, running over the I. P. & C. route. In 1854 he held the responsible position of cashier of the State Stock Bank of Peru, which he held for one year, and he then moved on a farm of 120 acres a short distance north of Peru. His marriage to Miss Caroline Skinner was solemnized November 1, 1855, she being a daughter of Corsen C. Skinner (deceased), of this (Miami) county. Three children were born as the result of this union. Mr. Henton's political views are Democratic. ("History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present ..." pub. in 1887 by Brant and Fuller. Tr. by BZ, FoFG)
Samuel W. Proud
SAMUEL W. PROUD, section 30, was born on the 11th of March, 1844, in Fayette County, Ohio. His father, John Proud, and also his mother, formerly Sarah King, were natives of Ohio. In 1849 Samuel W. accompanied his parents to Howard County, Indiana. He was raised on a farm and for a time attended the common schools, though the greater part of his education was obtained by self-application, after reaching his maturity. During the war he served for three years, enlisting when seventeen years of age, in the Thirty-fourth Indiana Infantry. His regiment was known as the Morton Rifle Regiment. While he was in the service his father moved his family to Holt County, in 1863, and, after his discharge, at the close of the war, Samuel W. Proud came to Holt County, settling near Oregon. There he resided until the spring of 1870, when he removed to Atchison County, and located on his farm in this township. He has 138 acres of land, all under fence, with a good new dwelling and young orchard. Mr. Proud was married in Holt County, May 11, 1867, to Miss Margaret Thorp, who was born in Randolph County, Indiana, July 4, 1843. They have two children: Luella B., born August 20, 1870, and Dollie E., born February 26, 1873. Mr. Proud is Republican in politics. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by K. Mohler]
Timothy H. Proud
TIMOTHY H. PROUD, a native of Fayette County, Ohio, was born March 31, 1836. John Proud, his father, who was born in Ross County, Ohio, married Sarah H. King, a native of Fayette County, of that state. In 1849 the family moved to Howard County, Indiana, where they lived until 1864, then emigrating to Holt County, Missouri, and settling near Oregon, where they still reside. The youth of the subject of this sketch was passed on a farm, receiving a common school education. In 1871 he removed from Holt County to his present place in section 34, of Dale Township, Atchison County, and is now the owner of 160 acres of good land, there being on his farm an orchard of 100 apple, 700 peach and other fruit trees. Mr. Proud was married October 30, 1859, in Fayette County, to Miss E.E. Goldsberry, daughter of Amos Goldsberry. She is a native of Ross County, but was raised in Fayette County. Mr. and Mrs. Proud have had seven children, six of whom are living: Emmerson T., born September 9, 1860; Anna W., born October 9, 1864; Sarah A., born May 20, 1866; Samuel E., born November 12, 1867; Jessie B., born October 10, 1869, and Clark W., born October 6, 1872. Mr. and Mrs. Proud are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In his political preferences Mr. P. is Republican. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by K. Mohler.]
Samuel McCloud McKeever Wood
Samuel McCloud McKeever Wood was born in Fayette County, Ohio, in 1845. His father, Layton J. Wood, who was born in Virginia in 1811, represented an old Virginia family which furnished soldiers to the American army during the Revolution. The Wood family had no kindly fellowship with the institution of slavery which flourished in the South, and their aversion to that institution caused them to remove to Ohio. Layton J. Wood was married about 1828 to Miss Mary A. Lydy, who was also born in Virginia, in the year 1814. Her parents also left Virginia because of their dislike to slavery. Layton J. Wood and wife had eight children and those who reached maturity were: Sally Mary, James Layton, Sarah C., Samuel M. and Flora C.
Not long after the close of the war (1869), and nearly forty-seven years ago, Sam Wood came to Kansas and took a government homestead not far from Burlingame, Kansas. In those days the country was open, the woods and prairies were filled with game, and hunting was one of the great sports. As soon as he had secured possession of his claim Mr. Wood prohibited hunters from coming on his land. This was not due to any especial animosity against the hunters, but he had a higher regard for the innocent wild game than he did for the sport which so rapidly decimated these specimens of our wild life. Thus the Wood farm became almost a natural game preserve. Many a deer, chased by hunters, would flee to his homestead, and some of them became so tame that they would lie about on his farm and even feed and lie down and chew their cud within forty rods of the house, and watch him work.
Mr. Wood came to Topeka in 1873, where he served as clerk in the post office for seven years, and in 1880 was elected register of deeds, in which office he served for four years. Then for many years Mr. Wood successfully engaged in the real estate business, taking up that as his chief line after retiring from office. In 1877 he married Miss Francees N. Gill. Her father was Judge D. B. Gill, of Clarksboro, New Jersey, her mother of a Revolution family in Connecticut. Very few women of Kansas were so much loved and revered as Mrs. Wood. She was well known in public life, was an ardent worker among the ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic, was national president of that order and also president of the department of Kansas and president of the Lincoln Circle, and at one time filled the office of president of the State Federation of Women's Class. [Source: "A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans", compiled by William E. Connelley, Lewis Publishing - Submitted by FoFG]