Franklin County, Ohio
Robert Winthrop Barr
BARR, Robert Winthrop, banker; born Columbus, O., February 21, 1862; son Robert Nelson (deceased) and Sarah F. (Nichols) Barr; educated Institutions of Learning Chattanooga; married Charlotte M. Smith, October 13, 1893; member K.T. (Masons), Elks, K. of P., Legion of Honor of America, Chamber of Commerce and Manufacturers’ Association of Chattanooga, Mountain City, Golf and Country, Calumet, Clubs of Chattanooga; entered banking business with Chattanooga First National Bank when 16 years of age; from there City Savings Bank and Merchants National, Chattanooga; in 1892 went with Chattanooga Savings Bank as Cashier; Director of Spencer Medicine Company; Deacon Second Presbyterian Church. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by Kim Mohler]
COIT, Mrs. Elizabeth, humanitarian and temperance worker, born in Worthington, Ohio, 10th January, 1820. Her parents, Joseph and Nancy Agnes Greer, were natives of Belfast, Ireland. Elizabeth was the fourth daughter of the family. She was educated in the female seminary in Worthington. After her graduation she was engaged as a teacher in that institution, and held her position until her marriage, 15th April, 1844, to Harvey Coit, of Columbus, Ohio. Her home has been in that city ever since her marriage. Mrs. Coit is an excellent housekeeper, but she has always found time for a good deal of philanthropic and charitable work outside of her home. She is the mother of eight children, three of whom are now living, the comfort of her declining years. During the Civil War she was one of the members of the committee of three appointed to draft the constitution of the Soldiers' Aid Society. To that organization she devoted much of her time for three years, and her work was invaluable to the society. She is interested actively in all the progressive and reform movements of the time. She was chosen president of the first Woman's Suffrage Association organized in Columbus. For many years she has served as treasurer of the Ohio Woman Suffrage Association. (American Women Fifteen Hundred Biographies Vol. 1, by Frances Elizabeth Willard & Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow)
Is the son of Roger and Mary (Smith) Conlon, and was born November 23, 1832, in county Leitrim, Ireland. At the age of eighteen he came to America, landing in New York City. He soon after went to Auburn, New York, where he learned the carpenter’s trade. In 1851 he went to Cincinnati, and from there to Columbus, Ohio, where he lived until 1854. He then went to Chicago, where he lived until 1859, and then removed to St. Louis where he lived until 1870. While in St. Louis he had charge of the repair work in the post-office building from Lincoln’s to Grant’s administration. He also had charge of Jefferson Barracks as foreman, for four months. In 1870 he moved to Lebanon, Laclede county, Missouri, and built the Catholic church of that place. In 1872 he came to Springfield, and was soon appointed foreman of the carpenter construction of the ‘Frisco railroad in the Cherokee nation. He then went to Texas, and was superintendent of bridge construction for a private corporation for eight months. He returned to this place and lived three years, and then went to Leadville, Colorado, and followed mining and carpentering for a year and returned to Springfield, where he has since lived. Mr. Conlon is a large contractor and builder, having built many of the business blocks and fine residences of the city. He is a director and valuator of the Building and Loan Association of Springfield. He is a member of the city council from the first ward, elected upon the Democratic ticket. Is vice president of St. Vincent De Paul Society, a Catholic organization. He was married January 15, 1853, to Miss Ann Mooney, of Columbus, Ohio. Their union has been blest with nine children, six boys and three girls, all living, and all members of the Catholic church. Mr. Conlon’s father died in Ireland in 1845, and his mother died at sea in 1848, on her way to America. They had seven girls and five boys, of whom Thomas is the second son. [Source: Greene County, Missouri; St. Louis, Western Historical Company (1883) Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Edward J. Corbett
CORBETT, Edward Joseph, wholesale coal and coke; born, Groveport, O., (Franklin Co) Mar. 23, 1865; son of Michael and Hanora (McGrath) Corbett; educated in Groveport public and high schools and the Columbus (O.) Business College; married at Detroit, Mich., July 25, 1907, Miss Anna Dyer. Began active career as secretary to general superintendent Columbus & Cincinnati Midland R. R., Columbus, O.; removed to Ashland, Wis., 1889, as secretary to Northwestern manager Columbus & Hocking Coal & Iron Co., then as office manager for same company in Chicago; came to Detroit, 1891, as representative for H. D. Turney & Co., miners and shippers of coal, Columbus; entered business on his own account, 1894, and has since operated in his own name. President Cadillac Coal & Coke Co., Detroit; vice president Royal Coal Mining Co., Brilliant, O.; treasurer and director Maxwell-Briscoe-McLeod Co.; director Maxwell-Briscoe Motor co., Michigan Copper and Brass Co., Newcastle Realty Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Independent in politics. Catholic in religious belief. Member Knights of Columbus. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Yacht, Detroit Automobile. Recreations: Automobiling and general outdoor sports. Office: 1014-1017 Majestic Bldg. Residence: Hotel Plaza. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters" Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]
The State Teachers' Association of Ohio was founded in 1847. Samuel Galloway, the subject of this brief sketch, was the first president. He was born in Gettysburg, in 1811. He removed to Ohio in early youth, and graduated at Miami University, at the age of twenty-two. For several years he engaged successfully in teaching, until health induced him to change his employment, and, having studied law, he was admitted to the bar in 1842. He shortly afterward removed to Columbus, where he resided until his death in 1872. His election as Secretary of State made him ex-officio State Superintendent of Common Schools, and brought him into direct association with the leading educators throughout the State. The cause of popular education undoubtedly owes much to his efforts. His reports to the Legislature, embodying many valuable suggestions, did much to call public attention to the subject, and prepare the way for the legislation which soon followed. It is gratifying to note, that though Mr. Galloway's special sphere was mainly that of lawyer and politician, he did not remain unmindful of other claims. His wit, his learning, and his eloquence were freely used in behalf of all measures tending to the improvement of humanity. [Source: Educational History of Ohio by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - Submitted by Linda Rodriguez]
L. L. GANTZ, stockraiser; (Republican); born February 9, 1860, in Franklin county, near Columbus, Ohio; son of A. J. and Susan B. (Olney) Gantz; educated in the public schools of Franklin county, and student of Central College academy, in Franklin county, 1877-9. After leaving school Mr. Gantz engaged in farming in Franklin county, Ohio, for ten years, and then removed to Kansas (1889), where he resided one year. In 1890 he went to Casper, Wyoming, and then in 1891, to Utah. From there, in 1892, he went to New Mexico, and from 1892 until 1893, he trailed a bunch of sheep from New Mexico to Casper, Wyoming, where he has been actively engaged in the stock business since. Mr. Gantz was a member of the board of county commissioners of Natrona county from 1905 until 1909, and is a director of the Stockman's National Bank of Casper. In lodge affairs he is a member of the Elks and the I. O. O. F. He lives in Casper, Wyoming. [Source: "Men of Wyoming...", By C. S. Peterson, Publ 1915;- Tr. By Sandra Stutzman]
Harry N. Link
LINK, Harry N., manufacturer; born, Columbus, Oh., (Franklin Co) Feb. 13, 1869; son of Elijah m. and Sarah (Nelson) Link; educated in public schools of Erie, Pa., and at University of Cincinnati (technical course); married, Erie, 1894, Nellie Caughey. Began active career with E.M. Link Machinery Co., Erie, 1889, continuing until 1903, when he came to Detroit as vice president and secretary of the Wray-Austin Machinery Co., machinery and engineers’ supplies, in which position he still continues; also secretary and manager United Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of Little Giant gasoline motors. Republican. Universalist. Member Union Lodge, A.F. & A.M. Clubs: Detroit Motor Boat, Detroit Yacht. Recreations: Yachting and boating. Office: 171-175 W. Woodbridge St. Residence: 62 Bagg St. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters" Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]
Oscar R. Looker
LOOKER, Oscar R.; born, Columbus, Oh., (Franklin Co) June 19, 1846; son of Robert S. and Sarah (Hooper) Looker; educated in schools of Ohio; married at Detroit, Oct., 1895, Libbie C. Sullivan. Began in life insurance business, 1867; came to Detroit from Cleveland, O., 1871,and has been identified with the Michigan mutual life Insurance Co. since June of that years, first as bookkeeper, next as secretary, and since 1895 has president. Served in Eighteenth U.S. Inf., regular army, 1861 to Apr., 1865, Army of the Cumberland. Republican. Presbyterian. member Masonic order, Past Commander Detroit Commandery, Sovereign Consistory; also member Detroit post No. 384, G.A.R. Club: Old. Office: 150 Jefferson Av. Residence: 70 Canfield Av., E. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters" Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]
Dr. Asa Dearborn Lord
There are few who have served their country in the training of its youth, more deserving of its love and gratitude than Dr. Asa D. Lord. He was born in Madrid , St. Lawrence County, New York, June I7, 1810. His early youth was passed on a farm. From his mother, who had herself been a most successful teacher, he is said to have inherited his love for study. In 1839, he accepted the position of principal of the Western Reserve Teachers' Seminary, at Kirkland , Ohio , which he held for eight years. Here his zeal, his energy, his professional enthusiasm, his interest in all who strove for something better than they had yet known, were signally displayed. He made the seminary a center to which the youth of both sexes crowded from the adjoining counties. Many of these have since occupied useful and honorable positions as teachers, cherishing with the warmest gratitude the memory of him who first kindled in their young hearts a love for the teacher's calling. Here, in 1843, was held what was in substance the first Teachers' Institute in the State.
From Kirtland, Dr. Lord removed to Columbus . Here he inaugurated the first graded school in the State. He had bad the system under consideration for some time, and bad become satisfied that it offered the best advantages to the children of towns and villages. For his service as superintendent and as principal of the high school, he received the first year a salary of $600, of which $100 was contributed by a public spirited citizen.
Dr. Lord's services as editor of the "School Friend," the "Ohio School Journal," the "Public School Advocate," and "Ohio Journal of Education" are referred to in the next chapter.
For one year, his connection with the schools of Columbus was suspended, while he acted as agent of the State Teachers' Association, which he had been active in establishing.
He had, while at Kirkland , taken his degree in medicine. He now added to his other labors a course of systematic theology, and, in 1863, was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Franklin. Those who knew him well assert that he never intended to practice either calling exclusively. He strove to make himself thoroughly acquainted with the wants of both soul and body, that he might the better administer to those committed to his care. He made the Institution for the Blind, at Columbus , to which he was appointed in 1856, an honor and a blessing to the State. He taught its pupils valuable lessons in workshop and school-room, and thus won to his views legislators of widely different politics, who voted liberally for the erection of a building in which his plans could be successfully carried out.
After over twelve years' experience as an instructor of the blind in Ohio, Dr. Lord was given charge of the new State Institution for the Blind at Batavia, N. J., where he remained its zealous, kind-hearted, philanthropic superintendent and instructor up to the time of his death, which occurred March 7, 1875. He died beloved and esteemed by all, and the world will truly he better because it has once felt the inspiration of his life and presence. [Source: Educational History of Ohio by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - LR - Sub by FoFG]
Elizabeth W. Russell Lord
Of the many educators who have attained distinction in Ohio , and at the same time acquired a lasting reputation in the educational world, probably few are better known or held in more affectionate remembrance than Mrs. Elizabeth W. Russell Lord, whose life energies were consecrated to the public service and the uplift of humanity. Her labors as a teacher and humanitarian extended over a period of sixty-five years, a greater part of the time in co-operation with her noble husband. Asa D. Lord. M. D. (deceased, 1875), one of the nation's greatest public educators, and to them, unitedly, much of the present excellence and efficiency of the public schools is due.
(For some of the facts that follow we are indebted to a sketch written by Mrs. Sarah Cowles Little, graduate of Oberlin College. 1859, and a life-long friend of Mrs. Lord.)
Elizabeth W. Russell was born in Kirtland , Ohio , April 28, 1819, her parents, who came from New England, being among the early settlers of the Western Reserve , and she shared all the experiences and hardships of their pioneer home. When nine years old she performed a daily task on the spinning wheel, and at an age when girls of to-day arc "playing mother" with dolls, she was bearing her full share of the household duties, beside being her father's companion and helper.
Her occupations gave her habits of industry and thrift, and that fidelity to duty which has been her marked characteristic through life. In March, 1838. Miss Russell went to Oberlin College , Oberlin , Ohio , as a student, traveling by stage coach, and having to walk the last eight miles to reach her destination, as the coach could not proceed farther because of the mud. At Oberlin she was untiring in her studies, and in 1840 was referred to as "the indefatigable Miss Russell." About that time the Western Reserve Teachers' Seminary was established at Kirtland, and for some years Miss Russell divided her time between that institution and Oberlin. She did not fully complete the College Course at Oberlin. but in 1901 was given the honorary degree of Master of Arts in recognition of her services as an educator. In 1842 Miss Russell was married at Oberlin to Asa D. Lord, M. D., and returned to Kirtland to share his work as a teacher in the Seminary, of which he was the principal, and which was a co-educational school.
Five years later Dr. Lord went to Columbus , Ohio , to establish a system of graded schools, the first in the State, and when the High School was opened, Mrs. Lord was appointed its first lady principal.
In 1850 Dr. Lord became superintendent of the Ohio Institution for the Blind, at Columbus , and his wife a teacher. Then followed nearly thirty years of unselfish, skillful educational work for the blind, first in Ohio and later in New York . Mrs. Lord's individual work was largely in the schoolroom, but for more than two years subsequent to Dr. Lord's demise in 1875, she served most ably as superintendent of the New York Institution for the Blind, at Batavia . Without doubt she has instructed more blind persons to read than any other in the world, and these blind pupils remember her motherly sympathy with the deepest affection.
In 1884 Mrs. Lord responded to a call from Oberlin College to serve as Assistant Principal of the Woman's Department. From 18D4 to 1900, when she resigned, she was known as Assistant Dean. During these sixteen years she did not once miss attendance upon the weekly meetings of the Young Women, called "general exercises." and her record of attendance upon daily chapel prayers was almost as perfect. Among other things in her resignation, which the trustees were regretfully forced to accept, Mrs. Lord said: "My work has been a continual pleasure and delight. * * * In all my relations with our young people it has been my aim to do for them whatever intelligent and judicious parents would wish to have done for their sons and daughters while absent from their own care."
Mrs. Lord's interest in Oberlin has had material expression in various substantial gifts, — notably scholarships, and a large share in the cottage which bears her name. But her best gift to Oberlin is her own life, given without stint, with utmost faithfulness, so many years. The hundreds, yes, the thousands of young people who have felt the touch of that life, have had an example, seldom equalled, of kindness and courtesy, of modesty and loyalty, of promptness and fidelity to duty whatever cost to herself. Her gracious presence was a benediction, her daily life an inspiration.
Advancing years have called Mrs. Lord to lay down the more active duties of a long life, but age has not touched the heart that beats a warm response to every human interest. She is now enjoying a well-earned retirement in the pleasant home of her daughter. Mrs. Henrv F. Tarbox, of Batavia . N. Y. [Source: "Educational History of Ohio" by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - LR - Sub by FoFG]
Robert J. Loveland
ROBERT J. LOVELAND, attorney at law, and youngest son of Ebenezer P. and Jane Loveland, is a native of Miami County, Indiana, born in the city of Peru, January 17, 1858. He attended the city schools until his thirteenth year and subsequently, 1873, entered Central College, Franklin County, Ohio, where he pursued his studies for a period of four years completing the prescribed course in that time. He then became a student of Wabash College, Indiana, and attended the same from 1877 till 1879, returning to Peru the latter year, and taking up the study of law in the office of Shirk & Mitchell. He pursued his legal studies under the above able instructors, until the spring of 1880, but prior to that time during his vocations, was engaged in teaching in Ohio, and Miami County, Indiana. He was admitted to the bar in 1880, but did not engage in the active practice of his profession until the spring of the following year, at which time he effected a co-partnership with E. T. Reasoner under the firm name of Reasoner and Loveland which lasted until 1884. Since June, 1884 he has been associated in the practice with R. P. Effinger one of the leading lawyers of Peru, and the firm thus constituted has a large and lucrative practice in the courts of Miami and other counties. From his boyhood Mr. Loveland has been a dilligent student, and that he has succeeded in his chosen profession is evinced by the reputation he enjoys among his brethren of the Miami County bar. He mastered the principles of the law in a short time, soon became familiar with its practice, and is now one of the best young lawyers in the city of Peru. He is an active member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity. Votes in confirmity with the Republican party and since his thirteenth year has belonged to the Presbyterian Church. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, 1887 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
Samuel S. Marquis
MARQUIS, Samuel Simpson, clergyman; born, Sharon, O., (Franklin Co) June 8, 1866; son of John E. and Sarah P. Marquis; A.B. (with honors), Allegheny College, 1890; (Phi Beta Kappa); D.D., 1905; B.D., Cambridge Theological School, 1893; married at Warren, O., Aug. 23, 1894, Gertrude Lee Snyder. Ordered deacon P.E. Church, 1891, ordained priest, 1893; rector Trinity Church, Woburn, Mass., 1893-97, Trinity Church, Bridgewater, mass., 1897-99, St. Joseph’s Church, Detroit, 1899-1906; rector St. Paul’s Church and dean of St. Paul’s Cathedral since May 15, 1906. member of Board of Commerce. Recreation: Summer home, St. Clair River. Residence: 49 Erskine St. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters" Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]
William B. Miller
Auditor of Miami County, and son of George B. and Margaret (Columbia) Miller, was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana, February 20, 1845. George B. Miller was born in Columbus, Ohio, about the year 1816, of German-Scotch ancestry, his parents being natives of Pennsylvania. He came to Indiana in 1836, settling in Fort Wayne, where he worked at the plasterer's trade, and where he resided until his removal to the town of Wabash in 1846. From there, in the year 1852 he came to Peru, where he still resides. Margaret Miller was born in the City of Fort Wayne, of French parentage, and died there on the 13th day of April, 1845. By a subsequent marriage with Mary Ross, sister of Judge N. O. Ross, of Peru, Mr. Miller has three children, all of whom are living at this time. William B. Miller was reared in Peru, moving to this city with his father when about seven years of age. He attended the city schools at intervals until his fifteenth year, at which early age he entered the army enlisting in June, 1861, in Company A., 20th Indiana Infantry, with which he shared the viscissitudes and fortunes of war in many of the bloodiest battles of the Eastern Campaigns, including among others the expedition from Fortress Monroe to Fort Hatteras. Seven days fight before Richmond and retreat to Harrison's Landing. Bull Run, Gettysburg, Frederickburg, Chancellorsville, The Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor and Petersburgh. His term of service expiring immediately after the engagement last named, he was honorably discharged at Indianapolis on the 18th of July, 1864. On leaving the army he returned to Peru, but the following October he again tendered his services to the country and joined Company K., i42d Indiana Volunteer Infantry, with which he served till honorably discharged, August 5, 1865, spending the greater part of the time in Nashville, Tennessee. His military record thus completed, he returned home and after remaining with his friends in Peru until April, 1866, went to Kansas City, Mo., at which place he worked at the plasterer's trade until 1872. He returned to Indiana that year and worked at his vocation in Logansport, until 1875, at which time he came back to Peru, where he has since resided. In 1883 he was elected a member of the City Council of Peru and in the fall of 1886, was nominated on the Republican ticket for Auditor of Miami County; an office to which he was elected after a spirited contest, overcoming a previous Democratic majority of 350 votes. Mr. Milller's record both as soldier and civilian is one of which he feels justly proud and his triumphant election over so much opposition attests his great personal popularity, with the people of the County. He is and has been since his twenty-first year an ardent supporter of the Republican party and at this time is an active member of the G. A. R. and K. of H. orders. He was married July 18, 1872, in Cass County, Indiana, to Miss Julia, daughter of George and Mary St. Clair, of the same county and State. [Source: "History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago, 1887 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
Elijah S. Needels
ELIJAH S. NEEDELS, farmer, section 17, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, February 11, 1807. His father, John Needels, was a native of Delaware, and his mother, whose maiden name was Sarah Campbell, was born in Pennsylvania. They had a family of eleven children, E.S. being the fifth child. When partially grown he moved to Hamilton, Ohio, where he was engaged in working at the coopers’ trade for four years. He then located in Franklin County and followed the occupation of farming till 1842, when he came to Atchison County, Missouri. Since then he has been occupied in tilling the soil, his farm consisting 325 acres. He was justice of the peace from 1844 upwards of twenty years, exercising superior judgment in the discharge of his official duties. Mr. Needels was married February 21, 1839, to Miss Sarah Covert, who was born in Clark County, Indiana, August 17, 1814. Her father, Peter Covert, was a native of New Jersey, and her mother, Catherine Jones, of Kentucky. They have had eleven children, five of whom are now living: America, Sarah, Frank, Julia A. and Fannie. Mr. and Mrs. N. are members of the Christian Church. [St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
Henry L. Obetz
OBETZ, Henry Lorenz, physician and surgeon; born, Columbus, O., July 8, 1851; son of Cyrus and Sophia (Silbert) Obetz; educated in public schools of Paris, Ill,. and at Homeopathic Hospital College, Cleveland, graduating, M.D.., 1874; married at Paris, Ill., 1881, California Rudy. Practiced in Paris, Ill., 1874-83; was elected to chair of surgery, Homeopathic College, University of Michigan, and served for twelve years and for eight years as dean of the college; has engaged in general practice in Detroit since 1895. member American Institute of Homeopathy. Republican. Unitarian. Mason, member I.O.O.F. Clubs: Rushmere, Quarter Century. Recreations: Hunting, fishing and farming. Office: 21 Duffield St. Residence: 20 W. High St.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters" by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis - CW- Sub by FoFG]
William B. Woodbury
WOODBURY, William Blanchard, manager telephone companies; born, Columbus, O., (Franklin Co) Nov. 11, 1876; son of Benjamin and Margaret (Evans) Woodbury; educated in public schools of Columbus and at Ohio State University; married at Columbus, Nov. 15, 1900, Mary, W. Huling. Began active career in newspaper business in Columbus, 1896, soon after engaging in politics; became identified with the various telephone enterprises of the Everett Moore Syndicate, Cleveland, O., in 1900, continuing until Feb., 1906; came to Detroit to exploit the Home Telephone Co. and other telephone enterprises in Michigan. Secretary, treasurer, general manager and director Home Telephone Co. of Detroit, Cooperative Telephone Co., Detroit, Marquette Construction Co. of Detroit; secretary, general manager and director Interstate Long Distance Telephone member executive committee and chairman finance committee International Independent Telephone Co.; general manager Electric Construction Co. of St. Louis, MO; director Saginaw Valley Telephone Co., Saginaw, Mich. Member Detroit Chamber of Commerce, Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Secretary Republican County Committee, Columbus, and chairman congressional committee, 1900; member from 12th Congressional district Ohio Electoral College, 1900, and carried Ohio's ballot to Washington, Jan., 1901; delegate to various Ohio Republican conventions. Episcopalian. Member Ohio Society of Detroit. Clubs: Detroit, Fellowcraft, Rushmere. Office: Home Telephone Bldg. Residence: 73 Pingree Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters" Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails