Franklin County, Ohio
This is the oldest township in the county, and the only one of the four original townships that retains its name. It was laid out and organized when the county was, in 1803. It then contained about twice as much territory as the whole county now does. Its first settlement was the town of Franklinton and vicinity, which has been noticed in the first and subsequent Chapters of this work. Then the settlement extended down the river; and amongst the first families to settle there were those of Samuel White, John Huffman, Wm. Harrison, sr., and a few others. The township was not reduced to its present limits until after the creation of Jackson in 1815, and of Prairie in 1819. The town of Franklinton has not varied much in population and business for the last forty years. It has always been, to a great extent, a town of farmers and laborers, who lived in the town and worked Mr. Sullivant's extensive prairie fields, or were engaged in stone-quarrying, hauling, etc. For the last ten or twelve years there has been an extensive business done in this township in the raising, curing and shipping of broom corn, by Captain P. N. White and C. L. Eaton, Esq. The town and township have been the theater for sportsmen. The race courses have always been in this township, generally in some of the large prairie fields adjacent to the town, but latterly at the Four-Mile House, so called, but still in the township, where a fine race course was fitted up some eight or ten years since, and still kept for sporting characters to practice their nags upon.
In the vicinity of the town is a large milling establishment, erected by Lucas Sullivant, Esq., in his life time, and now owned and worked by some half dozen men, under the name of the "Ohio Manufacturing Company." From one to two miles below Franklinton on the Scioto are Moler's mills and carding machine, erected by John Ransburgh, about the years 1813-14, and which were long known as "Ransburgh's mills."
On the bank of the river in the north vicinity of the town is the old Franklinton burying ground. It embraces a beautiful little locust grove, enclosed with a board fence. This, it was supposed, was to be the final resting place of the pioneers who led the way in the settlement of this once wilderness. But of late years a number of removals have been made from thence to Green Lawn, amongst whom were the remains of Lucas Sullivant and wife, Lyne Starling, and General Foos and wife. But still the Franklinton graveyard is rather a neat and handsome village cemetery, and is as well calculated to call up a train of solemn and interesting reflections as any other spot of ground in the county.
In 1840, the population of this township, including the town of Franklinton, was 1510. In 1850, it was 1827. In 1853, the township was divided into ten school districts, and contained an aggregate of 716 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was, agreeably to the returns, 676.
FRANKLINTON POST OFFICE - (Established in 1805.)
Adam Hosack, first Postmaster, appointed in 1805.
Henry Brown, second Postmaster, appointed in1811.
Joseph Grate, thirdPostmaster, appointed in1812.
Jas B. Gardiner, fourthPostmaster, appointed in1813.
Jacob Kellar, fifthPostmaster, appointed in1815.
Jos. McDowell, sixthPostmaster, appointed in1819.
Wm. Lusk, seventhPostmaster, appointed in1820.
W. Risley, eighth and last, Postmaster, appointed in1831.
Office discontinued a few years after.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
1803.Zachariah Stephen and James Marshal, elected.
1806.James Marshal, reelected, and Arthur O'Harra to succeed Stephen.
1808.Samuel White elected.
1810.James Marshal and Arthur O'Harra, both re-elected.
1811.Samuel White reelected.
1812.Marshal and O'Harra, both reelected and Joseph Grate also elected.
1814.Nicholas Goeches, in place of White, and Joseph Gorton and Jacob Kellar, in place of O'Harra, resigned, and Marshal, removed.
1815.Joseph Grate, reelected.
1817.Gorton and Kellar, both reelected.
1820.Robert W. Riley, elected in place of Grate, and Gorton and Kellar, both reelected again; and same year, Jacob Grubb, to succeed Gorton, deceased.
1822.Joseph Badger, to succeed Kellar, resigned.
1823.Jacob Grubb and Robert W. Riley, reelected.
1825.Reuben Golliday, to succeed Badger.
1826.Grubb, reelected, and Stewart White, in place of Riley.
1828.William Lusk, to succeed Golliday.
1829.Grubb and Stewart White, both reelected.
1831.Wm. Lusk, reelected.
1832.Grubb, reelected, and James Graham, to succeed White.
1834.Stewart White, in place of Lusk.
1835.Grubb and Graham, both reelected.
1837.Samuel Deardurf, in place of Graham, resigned, and Stewart White reelected.
1838.Jacob Fisher, in place of Grubb.
1840.William Caldwell, in place of Deardurf, and Adam Alkire, in place of White.
1841.William Henderson, in place of Fisher.
1843.Caldwell and Alkire, both reelected.
1844.Wm. Henderson, reelected.
1846. Lemuel Frizzell and Jacob White, in place of Caldwell and Alkire.
1847.Bartley Boyd, in place of Henderson.
1849.Frizzell, reelected, and Robert King in place of Boyd, resigned, and Benjamin Overmire, in place of White.
1852.Adam Alkire, in place of Overmire, and Robert King, reelected.
1854.Arthur O'Harra, in place of King, resigned, and Bazil Riddell, in place of Frizzell.
1855.Jesse Alkire, in place of Adam Alkire.
1856.John A. Kellar, in place of Riddell, resigned.
1857.W. B. Preston, in place of O'Harra.
1858.Arthur O'Harra again, in place of John A. Kellar, resigned, and Jacob White, in place of Alkire, removed.
The Township of Sharon consists of a small part of what was once Liberty Township. It is just five miles square, and is known on the maps as township two, in range eighteen. It was established by its present name the 4th of March, 1806. Its first settlement was commenced in the spring of 1803, by the Scioto Company, as related in the first Chapter of this work.
In 1804, the town of Worthington was laid out. In 1805, the Worthington Post Office was first established, and William Robe* was appointed the first Postmaster in 1805.
*Mr. Robe was a dwarf, or man of remarkably small size, not weighing more than from fifty to sixty pounds in ordinary health. He was well proportioned and neat in his appearance; a well educated man, and gentlemanly in his manners. He was a teacher in the Worthington Seminary - afterward a clerk in the State Auditor's office. He died in January, 1823, aged about forty-five years.
Arora Buttles, second Postmaster, appointed in 1815.
Recompence Stansberry, third Postmaster, appointed in 1821.
R. W. Cowles, fourth Postmaster, appointed in 1841, and died the same year.
Recompence Stansberry, fifth Postmaster, appointed again in 1841.
Geo. H. Griswold, sixth Postmaster, in place of Stansberry, deceased, in 1843.
Geo. Taylor, seventh Postmaster, appointed in 1849.
Geo. H. Griswold, eighth Postmaster, appointed again in 1853.
Charles Martin, jr., ninth Postmaster, appointed in 1857.
In 1811, the Worthington Manufacturing Company was incorporated. Col. Kilbourne was the President and general agent of the Company. They made some good improvements on the factory ground (so called) and about the year 1813 or '14 they went extensively into business. They not only manufactured woolen cloth, but carried on various other mechanical branches. They also engaged largely in the mercantile branches. They also engaged largely in the mercantile business, and in banking. They had their stores in Worthington, Franklinton and Columbus, and their bank notes in general circulation. The Company, however eventually failed, and the whole concern went down about the years 1819 and '20.
About the time the Manufacturing Company went into operation, the first newspaper ever published in Franklin County was commenced at Worthington. It was called the Western Intelligencer. It is noticed under the head of Newspapers - Chapter IV.
In 1835, the town of Worthington was incorporated, and in the spring of 1836, the corporation organized by the election of the following officers , to wit:
Mayor, James Kilbourne; Recorder, G. H. Grisworld; Trustees, Samuel Abbott, Wm. Bishop, Ira Metcalf, A. H. Pinney, Wm. S. Spencer, and R. W. Cowles; Treasurer, Levi Pinney; Mashal, Chauncey Barker; Street Commissioner, Abner P. Pinney; Dayton Topping and D. W. Harrington, Fire Wardens.
The subsequent elections were (omitting all minor officers) as follows:
YEAR- MAYOR- RECORDER- MARSHAL
1837- G. H. Griswold- Flavel Tuller- Charles Sprague
1838- Potter Wright- Flavel Tuller- Stephen Hoyt
1839- John Snow- G. H. Griswold- Stephen Hoyt
1840- James Kilbourne- G. H. Griswold- Stephen Hoyt
1841 James Kilbourne- G. H. Griswold- Stephen Hoyt
1842- Levi Pinney- J. R. Paddock- A. J. Hays
1843- Sylvester Hays- J. R. Paddock- Ira Metcalf
1844- William Bishop- Ira Cowan- James Beers
1845- George Taylor- Ira Cowan- James Beers
1846- James Kilbourne- B. F. Johnson- C. S. White
1847- G. H. Griswold- R. K. Nash- Charles Martin
1848- Stephen Hoyt- Horatio Wright- John M. Hart
1849- Stephen Hoyt- Horatio Wright - J. D. Tuller
1850- Stephen Hoyt-J. M. Hart - J. D. Tuller
1851- Stephen Hoyt-P. Goble- Isaac Thompson
1852- Stephen Hoyt-P. Goble- Isaac Thompson
1853- Stephen Hoyt-Stephen L. Peck- C.S. White
1854- Stephen Hoyt-Stephen L. Peck- J. D. Tuller
1855- Stephen L. Peck- George Taylor- H. J. Snively
1856- Stephen L. Peck- George Taylor- H. J. Snively
1857- Stephen L. Peck- George Taylor- H. J. Snively
The population of this township in 1840 was 1,168, including the town of Worthington. In 1850, it was 1,509. In 1853, the township contained thirteen school districts, including the town; and, agreeably to the returns, an aggregate of 550 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 494.
The following is a list of the Justices of the Peace who have been elected and served in Sharon Township:
1803.Ezekiel Brown, elected while what is now Sharon was part of Liberty Township.
1805. James Kilbourne, elected while what is now Sharon was part of Liberty Township.
1806.Alexander Morrison, jr., in place of Brown, after the organization of Sharon.
1808.Ezra Griswold in place of Kilbourne.
1808.Isaac Case, under an order for an additional Justice.
1809.Alexander Morrison, jr., reelected.
1810.Azariah Pinney in place of Morrison, elected Judge.
1811.Ezra Griswold reelected.
1811Glass Cochran in place of Case.
1811Reuben Carpenter in place of Pinney, deceased.
1814.Recompence Stansberry in place of Cochran.
1814.Isaac Case in place of Griswold.
1814.Cruger Wright in place of Carpenter.
1815.Ezra Griswold in place of Wright, who was set off to Harrison Township.
1817.Stephen Maynard in place of Case.
1817. Recompence Stansberry reelected.
1818.Ezra Griswold, reelected.
1819.Arora Buttles in place of Stansberry, appointed Judge.
1820.Samuel Abbott in place of Maynard.
1821.Nathaniel Little in place of Griswold.
1822.Arora Buttles reelected.
1822.John Goodrich, jr., in place of Little, deceased.
1823.Samuel Abbott reelected.
1824.R. W. Cowles in place of Buttles, appointed Judge.
1825.John W. Ladd in place of Goodrich.
1826.Samuel Abbott reelected.
1827.R. W. Cowlesreelected
1828.John W. Laddreelected
1829.Stephen Maynard, jr., in place of Abbott.
1830.R. W. Cowles reelected.
1831.John W. Ladd,reelected
1832.Isaac Case in place of Maynard.
1833.R. W. Cowles reelected.
1834.John W. Ladd, reelected
1836.R. W. Cowles, reelected and Asaph Allen elected.
1837.Ira Metcalf in place of Ladd.
1839.Stephen Maynard and Levi Pinney.
1840.George Taylor in place of Metcalf.
1842.Stephen Maynard and Philo Burr.
1843.George Taylor reelected.
1844.Ezekiel Brown in place of Maynard, resigned.
1845.Philo Burr reelected.
1846.George Taylor, reelected
1847.Ezekiel Brown, reelected
1848.Phil Burr, reelected
1849.George Taylor, reelected and Luther Case in place of Brown.
1851.Philo Burr reelected.
1852.George Taylor and Luther Case both reelected.
1854. I. N. Case in place of Luther Case, and P. Burr reelected.
1855.George Taylor reelected and Stephen Hoyt in place of P. Burr, removed to Iowa.
1856.Charles E. Burr in place of Hoyt, removed.
1857.I. N. Case reelected.
1858.George Taylor reelected.
This township is about equal to four and a half miles square; is the western township in the Refugee Lands, bounded by the Scioto, and in which the city of Columbus is situated. It was organized as a township in 1807; had originally been a small part of Liberty Township. The first settlements made in the present township limits were along Alum Creek, about the year 1799. On the 4th of July, 1800, Mr. William White, who is still living in the township, arrived with his father, John White and family, from Pennsylvania, and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by Mr. George White. They then found living on the creek, George Turner and family, William Hamilton and family, James Johnston and family, and David Nelson (the elder) and family. In 1804, Col. Edward Livingston settled in the same neighborhood. About this time, Andrew Culbertson settled in the south-west corner of the township, near where the starch factory now stands. And as early as 1802 or '2, John Hunter settled on Whetstone, north of Columbus, and soon after William Shaw, John Starr (the elder), Nathaniel Hamlin, and John McGown, afterward proprietor of South Columbus.
In 1812, the town of Columbus was laid out, and nearly all events worthy of note other than ordinary improvement of farms, were connected with the town. With the exception of Mr. Nelson's and Mr. Eberly's mills there was no manufacturing establishment in this township (outside of Columbus) until the erection of the starch factory. In 1843, Messrs. C. Colgate and J. J. Wood, having purchased N. Gregory's distillery and grounds, converted the same into a starch factory and commenced the manufacturing of starch under the firm of "C. Colgate & County." In 1846, Colgate's interest was transferred to Sumner Clark, and the business continued by Clark and Wood until 1849, when Mr. Wood bought out Clark's interest, and the business has since been conducted by Mr. Wood alone. In 1852, the whole establishment was consumed by fire. The rebuilding, however, was soon commenced, and in June, 1853, the manufactory was again in operation; since which it has been doing a very useful, and, it is presumed, a profitable business, giving employment to about fifty hands, and using over two hundred bushels of corn per day.
In 1852 and '3, the Water Cure and Medical Infirmary - W. Shepherd, M.D., proprietor - was established in this township, about three miles north-east of Columbus, near where the Central Ohio Railroad crosses Alum Creek. This Institution is designed exclusively for the reception and treatment of invalid females.Some additions and improvements have been made since the accompanying cut was taken.The success attending the treatment here pursued, and the patronage extended to the Institution during the past five years, warrants the proprietor in prosecuting the enterprise.
In 1840, the population of this township, outside of the city, was 1,449. In 1850, it was only 1,320. This apparent decrease is to be accounted for by the extension of the city limits. In 1853, the township (outside of the city) composed ten school districts, with an aggregate of 605 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 723.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
1807.William Shaw elected.
1808.Michael Fisher, elected
1810.William Shaw reelected.
1811.Michael Fisher reelected.
1813.John Shields and Robert Nelson - one to succeed Shaw, and the other under an order for an additional Justice.
1814.Michael Patton and James Marshal, in place of Fisher, whose time expired, and Nelson resigned.
1816.William Long in place of Shields.
1816.Eli C. King, elected.
1817.Townsend Nichols in place of Marshal, resigned.
1817.Michael Patton reelected.
1819.Wm. Long and Eli C. King both reelected.
1820.Wm. T. Martin in place of Nichols.
1820.William Richardson in place of Patton.
1822.Eli C. King, reelected, but did not qualify.
1822.David W. Deshler, in Long's Place.
*From 1816 until 1822, there were four Justices in this township. In 1822, the number was reduced to three, and has since remained at that.
1823.Wm. T. Martin, reelected.
1823.Wm. Long, again elected in Richardson's place.
1825.David W. Deshler, reelected.
1826.Wm. T. Martin,reelected
1828.Thomas Wood, in place of Deshler, resigned.
1829.Davies Francis, in place of Martin, declined.
1829. Wm. Long, reelected.
1830.Wm. T. Martin, again, in place of Francis, deceased.
1831.Thomas Wood, reelected.
1832.John Kelly, in place of Wm. Long.
1833.Wm. T. Martin, reelected.
1835.Warren Jenkins, in place of Kelly.
1836.Wm. T. Martin, reelected.
1837.James Cherry, in place of Jenkins, resigned.
1839.Wm. T. Martin, reelected.
1840.Thomas Wood, reelected
1840.Robert Ware in place of Cherry.
1842.J. P. Bruck in place of Ware, dec'd.
1842. Wm. T. Martin reelected.
1843.Alexander Patton in place of Wood.
1845.J. P. Bruck reelected.
1845.Wm. T. Martin, reelected
1846.Alex. Patton, elected.
1848.Daniel Evans in place of Bruck.
1848. Wm. T. Martin reelected.
1849.J. P. Bruck in place of Patton.
1851.Wm. Haddock in place of Evans.
1851. Nathan Brooks in place of Martin, resigned.
1852.William Field in place of Bruck.
1854.Charles Jucksch in place of Brooks.
1854.John G. Miller in place of Haddock.
1855.Wm. Field reelected.
1857.John G. Miller reelected.
This township was organized by its present name in 1807, though it then embraced four or five times its present area. It was reduced to its present limits by the formation of Jackson in 1815, and of Prairie in 1819. A settlement was commenced on Darby, near Georgesville, at an early age of the county. Amongst the settlers were, Messrs. Thomas Roberts, John Bitter, James Gardiner, Samuel Dyer, Samuel Kerr, John Turner, and others. About as early as 1805, Mr. Dyer erected his mill, which was long known as "Dyer's mill," and has kept up by repeated repairs till the present time. It was for some years owned by James Gardiner, and bore his name; but it is now owned by William Dyer, and its former name restored. It is the only flouring mill in the township.
In 1815, a post office was established in this township by the name of "Pleasant Post Office." In 1816, Mr. Roberts laid out the town of Georgesville, and in 1818, the name of the post office was changed to "Georgesville Post Office." The successive postmasters have been:
Thos. Roberts, first postmaster, appointed in Feb. 1815.
Thos Reynolds, second postmasterSept. 1828.
Wm. Scott, third postmaster, (present incumbent,) appointed Nov. 1851.
Mr. Reynolds died in July, 1851. From that time till Mr. Scott's appointment (four months) the office was kept by his widow.
In June, 1836, the town of Harrisburgh was laid out by Joseph Chenowith, Esq., Frederick Cole, Esq., surveyor. It is now a lively village, containing about thirty families, two taverns, four stores, two physicians, a church, belonging to the Methodist denomination, and a post office. The post office, however, had been established at this place, by the name of "Darby Cross Roads," some years before the town was laid out. After the town was laid out, the name was changed to "Harrisburg Post Office." The successive postmasters have been:
John Haines, first postmaster.
George Geiger, second postmasterappointed in 1833.
Abram Buckles, third postmaster appointedin 1836.
Dr. T. Thompson, fourth postmaster, appointed in 1838.
Henry Miller, fifthpostmaster appointedin 1841.
J. W. Goetschius, sixpostmaster appointedin 1849.
Henry Miller, seventh postmaster, (present incumbent,) appointed in 1853.
At the session of 1850-51, the town was incorporated, and in 1851, the following gentlemen were elected the first Board of Trustees: Henry Miller, J. Chenowith, O. T. Curry, L. W. Sefert and G. W. Helmick.
SUCCESSIVE MAYORS, RECORDERS AND MARSHALS
Year- Mayor- Recorder- Marshal
1851. - J. Helmick- Z. G. Weddle- S. Swisgood
1852. - J. Helmick- Z. G. Weddle- S. Swisgood
1853. - J. Helmick -J. R. Sheeders- S. H. Covert
1854.- J. Helmick -J. R. Sheeders- S. H. Covert
1855.- J. R. Sheeders- J. Helmick- J. Fuller
1856.- J. Helmick- Titus England - J. Fuller
1857.- Geo. W. Helmick - Titus England- John Snyder
The population of this township in 1840, was 807. In 1850, it was 968. In 1853, the township constituted twelve school districts with an aggregate of 503 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 518.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
1807.Samuel Kerr and John Smith, elected.
1808.John Turner, in place of Kerr, resigned.
1811.John Turner, reelected, and Alexander Blair.
1814.Michael Dickey, elected.
1815.Samuel, Dyer, elected.
1818.Samuel Dyer, reelected.
1821.Jacob Gundy, in place of Dyer.
1822.Reuben Golliday, reelected.
1825.John Tipton, in place of Golliday.
1827.Jacob Gundy, reelected.
1830.William Walker, in place of Gundy.
1831.John Tipton, reelected.
1833.William Walker, reelected
1839.William Walker, reelected
1840.John Tipton, reelected, moved to the west, and same year,
1840.Richard Heath, elected in place of Tipton.
1842.William Walker, reelected.
1843.Henry Shenefelt, in place of Heath.
1845.William Walker, reelected.
1848.Geo. W. Helmick, elected in place of Shenefelt.
1850.Zelotes G. Weddle, in place of Helmick, resigned.
1851.Geo. W. Helmick, in place of Walker.
1853.J. B. Mitchel, in place of Weddle.
1854.Reuben Chaffin, in place of Helmick.
1856.J. B. Mitchel, reelected, and William Walker, in place of Chaffin, resigned.
The lands in this township were originally surveyed for the government in 1799, by one John Matthews, and hence the words "Matthews's Survey," which are very common, though not necessary, in deeds and conveyances of lands in this township. In 1800, these lands came into market, and in that year, or the year following, settlements commenced. Amongst the first settlers were John Dill and Michael Fisher, and soon after, Percival Adams, Thomas Morris, the Weatheringtons, the Stewarts, the Johnstons, James Culbertson, the Stombaughs, Geo. W. Williams and Robert Shannon and his sons, Samuel, Hugh, James, John, Joseph and William.
In 1807, the township was organized by its present name, though it then contained within its boundaries the territory also from which the Township of Madison was afterward created. Hamilton is now just eight miles in length, north and south, and about four miles in width, varying with the meanders of the river. In the original division of the county into townships in 1803, this territory was part in Liberty, and part in Harrison townships. This township has generally been regarded as containing a greater proportion of first rate land than any other in the county; and the location of the canal through it, gave it additional advantages in the way of water power. Hartwell's mill, at the four-mile locks, was erected soon after the completion of the canal, and subsequently, Cottage Mills were erected by Messrs. Hibbs and Dalzell in the year 1841.
In the fall of 1831, the town of Lockbourne was laid out by Col. Kilbourne, as the agent of Joel Buttles, Demas Adams and others. It now contains about sixty or seventy families, two churches, one denominated the United Brethren in Christ, who have a comfortable wooden church building, erected about the year 1843, the other Methodist Episcopal, with a neat brick church edifice, erected in 1850, two dry goods stores, three groceries, two taverns, three practicing physicians, a grist mill, a saw mill and a post office, established in 1837.
Nathan G. Smith, first postmaster, appointed in 1837.
Zebulon Marcy, second postmaster, appointed in 1838.
John H. Stage, third postmaster, appointed in 1839.
C. M. Porter, fourth postmaster, appointed in1849.
Dr. A. N. Boales, fifth postmaster, appointed in1851.
Dr. J. R. Marshal, sixth postmaster, appointed in1853.
John A. Sarber, seventhpostmaster, appointed in1854.
John A. Haire, eighth postmaster, (present incumbent,) appointed in 1856.
At the Legislative session of 1839-40, an act was passed to incorporate the town, but the citizens never availed themselves of it.
In the spring of 1853, the village of Shadesville was laid out by A. G. Hibbs. It now contains about twenty families, one tavern, two stores, a Methodist church, a good school house, and a post office, established in the fall of 1853.
Mr. Hibbs, first postmaster, was appointed in 1853.
Joshua Hertzel, second was appointed in 1858.
Besides the churches in Lockbourne and Shadesville, there are two others in this township - the Hamilton Township Presbyterian Church, organized by Doctor Hoge, many years since - and the German Lutheran Church. The latter have a good brick church edifice, erected about the year 1844 or '45, on the Lancaster road some eight miles south of Columbus. The former have a good-sized, frame church building, erected about the year 1831. The successive pastors of this church have been: Rev. N. S. Ransom, Rev. Elisha Vandeman, Rev. John M. Fulton, Rev. J. D. Smith, Rev. Thomas Woodrow, Rev. James Smith, Rev. W. Maynard, since the first of January 1857.
In 1840, the population of the township, including the villages, was 1258. In 1850, it was 1485. In 1853, the township constituted thirteen school districts, with an aggregate of 560 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 557.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1807.William Dunning and William Irwin, elected.
1809.David Spangler, in place of Irwin, deceased.
1810.Thomas Morris, in place of Dunning.
1812.John B. Johnston, in place of Spangler.
1813.Percival Adams, in place of Morris.
1814.John Stipp, in place of Johnston, deceased.
1816.Percival Adams, reelected, and George Hays, in place of Stipp, removed.
1819.Adams, reelected, and Andrew Dill, in place of Hays.
1822.Adams and Dill, both reelected.
1825.Adams and Dill, both reelected.
1828.Adams and Dill, both reelected
1831.Dill, reelected, and Joseph Murray, in place of Adams.
1832.William Champ, in place of Dill, deceased.
1833.Michael Fisher, in place of Champ, removed.
1834.John Landes, elected, and Joseph Murray, reelected.
1837.Wm. Jacobs, and Joseph Murray, reelected.
1840.William Shannon and Z. P. Thompson.
1843.W. Shannon, reelected, and George Earhart, in place of Thompson.
1846.W. Shannon and G. Earhart, both reelected.
1849.Earhart, reelected, and Patterson Harrison, to succeed Shannon, who removed to Illinois.
1852.Earhart and Harrison, both reelected.
1854.Robert E. Shannon, place of Earhart, resigned.
1855.P. Harrison, reelected.
1857.Robert E. Shannon, reelected.
1858.Patterson Harrison, reelected.
This township was set off and organized by its present name in 1809. It then comprised all of what is now Washington, all of Perry and Norwich, and part of Brown; and was composed of parts of the original townships of Franklin, Darby and Liberty. The first settlement in this township was commenced in the neighborhood of where Dublin now stands, about the year 1801 or 1802. Amongst the settlers were old Mr. Ludwick Sells, from Huntington County, Pennsylvania, and his family of sons, Samuel, Peter, Benjamin and William; the latter one of whom is still living, in the town of Dublin. An older brother, John Sells, also removed into the same neighborhood in 1808 or 1809. In 1818, he laid out the town of Dublin, which soon became a pleasant and healthy village, and of late years a place of considerable business, with a population of some three and four hundred; a fair proportion of stores, taverns, and mechanics, and a good mill in the immediate vicinity. There are four churches in the town - Methodist, Presbyterian, Newlight and Christian - all have their church buildings. Beside the churches in town, there is a respectable German Lutheran Church within a mile or two of the village, erected within the last year. In the west part of the township the religious meetings are principally held in the school houses.
In 1855, the town was incorporated, and the borough government organized by the election of officers, etc. - Z. Hutchison, Esq., Mayor, and Wm Graham, Esq., Recorder. But, after an experiment of one year, the citizens appearing to prefer a larger amount of liberty, declined holding further elections, and let the corporate organization go down.
In 1840, the population of this township was 843. In 1850, it was 1,282. In 1853, it contained eleven school districts, and 589 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, agreeably to the returns, there were only 511 of such youth.
There is but one post office in this township; that is in Dublin, established in 1820.
Daniel Wright, first postmaster, appointed in 1820.
Moses Davis, secondpostmaster, appointedabout 1827.
Isaac N. Walters, thirdpostmaster, appointed 1828.
John Eberly, fourth, (present incumbent,) 1831.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
1809.Benjamin Sells and Daniel M. Brown.
1811.Daniel Bruck and Robert Justice.
1812.Justice Miller and Simeon Wilcox.
1815.George Robert and Tracy Wilcox.
1817.John Sells and Patrick Conner.
1818.David Smith and Chandler Rogers, in place of Wilcox.
1820.Peter Sells and Alexander Basset.
1822.Wm. Kilbourne in place of Basset, resigned.
1824.Charles Sells and Brice Hays.
1827.Charles Sells, reelected, and Jas. Howard in place of Hays.
1828.David Bailey in place of Howard, removed.
1830.Charles Sells, reelected, and Henry Coffman and Jacob Paupaw in place of Bailey, deceased.
1831.John Eberly first elected in place of Paupaw.
1833.Henry Coffman reelected, and John Uffner.
1834.John Eberly, reelected.
1836.Daniel Wright and James Howard.
1838.John Eberly, reelected, and William Harris in place of Howard, removed.
1839.Zenas Hutchinson in place of Wright, and George Churchman, elected.
1842.Henry Coffman and Z. Hutchinson.
1845.George W. Evans, in place of Hutchinson.
1848.Eberly reelected, and Wm. Graham.
1848.George W. Evans, reelected.
1850.Eberly and Graham, both reelected.
1851.George W. Evans, both reelected
1853.Eberly and Graham, bothboth reelected
1854.Eri Douglass, in place of Evans. Douglass resigned in 1856 - his place not filled.
1856.Eberly and Graham, both reelected.
Madison is the largest township in the county, being eight miles in extent north and south; and now, since the accession in 1851, is seven miles east and west, with the exception of the jog in the south-east corner. It was organized as a township in 1809; had before been part of Hamilton. Settlements commenced in 1802 or 1803. As early as 1805, John Swisher, Esq., now of Perry Township, then from the State of New Jersey, settled here. He then found living in the township, Isaac Decker, Elias Decker, Charles Rarey, and his sons Adam, Benjamin, William, Charles and George - then boys, and a few others. Near the same time, and soon after, were added to the population, John Kile and family, Matthew Taylor, Jacob Gander, George Rohr and sons, and the Ramseys - Samuel, James and Robert, Mr. Mooberry and family, Billingsy Bull, Daniel Kramer, Matthias Wolf, Thomas Rathmel, Emmor Cox, James McClish, Philip Pontius, William D. Hendron, Philemon Needles, and other.
The school sections appropriated by the government to the townships of Madison, Hamilton, Montgomery and Truro, were all situated in this township, adjoining each other. The three latter townships sold theirs some twenty-five or thirty years ago. Madison still retains her section (No. 16), and realizes from it a handsome school revenue.
The first mill erected in this township was by Matthew Taylor, on Alum Creek, near its mouth, about the year 1807or 1808. It was quite an acquisition to the settlement; but it has long since disappeared, and no vestige remains to show where it stood. About the year 1810 or '11, George Sharp erected mills on Gahanna, which were afterward owned by John Sharp; but have, a number of years since, entirely disappeared. There is now but one grist mill in the township, and that is Chaney's valuable mill on the canal, near Winchester. Near the same place is a wool-carding and fulling mill, also owned by the Messrs. Chaneys.
In 1817, the town of Oregon, formerly called Middletown, was laid out by Isaac Decker. At the session of 1830-31, the name was changed from Middletown to Oregon. In 1829, a post office was established here. Dr. Thomas Hersey, first postmaster, appointed in 1829. Isaac D. Decker, second postmaster, appointed in place of Hersey, resigned, in 1833.This office was discontinued about the time the office was established at Groveport.
In September, 1843, the western part of what is now Groveport, was laid out for a town, by Jacob B. Wert, and named "Wert's Grove," Mr. Wert being one of the first settlers in his new town.
In February, 1844, Wm. H. Rarey laid out the eastern part of the present town, adjoining the canal, and named it "Rarey's-Port." Mr. Rare was also a resident of the place at the time. The village improved as fast as either of the proprietors could reasonably expect, but each end of it bearing a different name. The propriety of a common name for the whole, soon became manifest to all. Each proprietor would doubtless have preferred his own chosen name. The citizens finally, willing to treat both proprietors alike, concluded to drop the prefix, or personal name of both, and retain the latter part of each name, and thus the name of "Groveport" was agreed upon; and by that name it was incorporated at the session of 1846-7.
The first Board of Councilmen, elected in the spring of 1847, were: Samuel Sharp, E. M. Dutton, J. P. Bywaters, C. J. Stevenson, and Was married. Mitchell. Other successive officers:
1847.- A. Shoemaker- - A. Clark- Wm. James
1848.- Henry Long- Edmund Gares- Leonard Sarber
1849.- Henry Long- Edmund Gares -Leonard Sarber
1850. Z. P. Thompson- A. Sharp -James Turner
1851.- Z. P. Thompson- A. Clark -B. Callahan
1852.- E. W. Edwards A. Sharp -James Turner
1853.- Jeremiah White A. Clark -O. F. Connell
1854.- Jeremiah White A. Clark -J. Stimmel
1855.- Z. P. Thompson- A. C. King -Wm. Watson
1856.- Z. P. Thompson- R. F. Dildine -Wm. Watson
1857.- N. Steel- H. McArthur -J. Turner
1858.- L. Sarber- R. F. Dildine - Not yet appointed
Groveport is quite a business place, well supplied with stores of dry goods and groceries, one drug store, three physicians, four churches, one Baptist, one Methodist, one Presbyterian, and one United Brethren, and a large and commodious school house. In 1850, the population was 483.
A post office was established at this place in 1844.
Jacob B. Wert, first postmaster.
Edward Gares, second postmaster.
A.C. Headly, third postmaster, appointed in 1852
Samuel Sharp, fourth, postmaster, present incumbent, appointed in 1854.
The annexation of six sections of land to the east side of Madison Township, in 1851, threw the town of Winchester, which had previously been in Fairfield County, into this. Winchester, like Groveport, is situated on the canal, and is a place of very considerable business, particularly in grain and produce. In its business generally, it bears a similarity to Groveport, though it is a much older town. It was laid out about the year 1826 or '27, by Reuben Dove and John Coleman, of Fairfield. It now contains about 400 inhabitants; three churches, viz: United Brethren, Methodist, and German Reform; two schools, three physicians, three stores, two hotels, and the usual proportion of mechanics' shops, and a post office. Peter T. Krag, Esq., present postmaster, appointed in 1853.
The town is not incorporated.
Beside the churches in the town of Winchester and Groveport, there are in this township a good Methodist meeting house, on the farm of Mr. Thomas Needles, known by the name of "White Chapel," erected about the year 1842 or '43; and a small German church some two or three miles from Winchester, erected about the year 1849. The Presbyterians worship at the "Truro meeting house," or at Groveport.
The population of this township, agreeably to the census of 1840, was 1,810. In 1850, it was 2,480. In 1853, the township contained twenty-one school districts, and an aggregate of 1,195 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 1,209.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
1809.Ebenezer Richard and George Hays, elected.
1811.Wm. D. Hendren and Elijah Austin, elected.
1815.Elisha Decker, elected.
1817.Billingsly Bull, Emmer Cox, and James McLish, elected.
1820.Billingsly Bull, Nicholas Goeches, and William Godman, elected.
1823.B. Bull, N. Goeches, and W. Godman, reelected.
1824.Wm. D. Hendren, in place of Goeches, removed.
1825.Jacob Gander, in place of Godman, removed.
1826.John Swisher and William Patterson.
1828.Jacob Gander, reelected.
1829.W. Patterson, reelected, and Abraham Shoemaker, in place of Swisher.
1831.Alexander Cameron, in place of Gander.
1832.Wm. Patterson and Abraham Shoemaker, both reelected.
1834.Alex. Cameron, reelected.
1835.Isaac Decker and John Swisher.
1837.Alex. Cameron, reelected.
1838.W. W. Kile and James Pearcy, elected.
1840.Alex. Cameron, reelected.
1841.Abraham Shoemaker and John Courtright.
1843.Alex. Cameron, reelected.
1844.John Cox and Wm. Mason.
1846.Joshua Glanville, - resigned in Sept. 1847.
1846.Jeremiah White, elected.
1847.W. W. Kile and Moses Seymour, elected.
1849.Jeremiah White, reelected.
1850.W. W. Kile and M. Seymour, reelected - Kile resigned in March, 1852.
1852.Jeremiah White, reelected, and Henry Nicodemus.
1853.M. K. Earhart, in place of Seymour.
1855.Joshua Stevenson, elected - died in 1856.
1855Z. P. Thompson, in place of White.
1856.John Helpman, in place of Stevenson.
1856M. K. Earhart, reelected.
1858.Z. P. Thompson, reelected
Truro Township was established and organized in 1810. In the first division of the county into townships, it was embraced in, and formed a small part of Liberty Township. Its first settlement commenced in 1805. In 1806, Robert Taylor and his sons Abiather Vinton, Matthew, James and David, removed from Nova Scotia to Chillicothe, and from thence to this township in 1808, where they settled on Walnut Creek. At this time they found ten families that had settled in this wilderness before them, namely, in 1805, Thomas Palmer from Maine, and John Medford, Charles Medford, George Powell and Charles Chaney from Pennsylvania; in 1806, John Edgar and John Lynch from Pennsylvania, and William Connell and Benjamin Connell from Virginia; in 1807, John Long from Chillicothe, (originally from Nova Scotia); subsequently, in 1808, Robert Wilson from Pennsylvania, and Daniel Ross, with a large family of sons, from Nova Scotia; in 1810, Zachariah Paul from Virginia, and William Thompson from Pennsylvania; in 1812, John Cambridge from Pennsylvania, and Captain John Hanson from Virginia; and in 1814, Elias Chester and Jeremiah Nay from New York.
When the township was organized in 1810, the Taylor family had the pleasure of naming it "Truro," after a township in Nova Scotia, from whence they had removed. But little more than ordinary farm improvements were made until after the location of the national road.
In the fall of 1831, John French, who owned a farm and resided where Reynoldsburg now is, laid out the town, and James C. Reynolds, afterward Gen. Reynolds, then a young man from Zanesville, had temporarily located himself there with a small stock of goods suitable for the demand of the laborers on the road. Reynolds was in no way interested in the town, but merely a boarder with Mr. French, who saw fit to compliment him by naming the town after him. Subsequently, Mr. Reynolds married and became identified with the town as one of its principal business men. He continued his store, erected a steam mill in the town, was postmaster, etc. He afterward removed to Carroll, in Fairfield County, where he died some years since. Within the first twelve or fifteen years the town of Reynoldsburg grew up to near its present size and business. For the last ten or twelve years it has been nearly stationary. In 1850, it contained a population of 564.
At the session of 1839-40, the town was incorporated, and at the first borough election, in the fall of 1840, Abraham Johnston, D. K. Wood, Samuel Gares, John W. Thompson, Mark Evans, James O. Kane and Archibald Cooper were elected the first Board of Trustees.
SUCCESSIVE MAYORS, RECORDERS AND MARSHALS
Year-Mayor- Recorder- Marshal
1840.- Abraham Johnston- D. K. Wood- Silas Howard
1841.- Daniel Taft- Geo. D. Graham- L. P. Rhoads
1842.- Daniel Taft- Robert Shield- S. Howard
1843.- Daniel Taft- Robert Shield- Hiram Sibel
1844.- Robert Shield- John Miller- R. S. Looker
1845.- Archibald Cooper- John Miller- Phillip Rhoads
1846.- James O'Kane- John Miller- Hiram Sibel
1847.- R. Shield- J. B. West- Silas Howard
[There were now several years without any borough election.]
1853.- R. Shield- H. M. Morton- Silas Howard
1854.- J. B. West- Wm. Boyd- J. C. Abbott
1855.- J. B. West- C. S. West- Jackson Clark
1856.- Richard Rhoads- J. H. Lynch- Orin Harris
1857.- J. B. West- H. M. Morton
Not long after the laying out of Reynoldsburg, Mr. Thomas Armstrong disposed of a few building lots on the road side near the crossings of Walnut Creek, which being improved, brought some four of five families in close proximity, and the place assumed the name of "Hibernia." The lots were never platted and recorded, nor was it intended for a regular town. There was, however, a post office, established at this place in 1849, and Wm. F. Armstrong appointed postmaster, who continued to hold the office until 1857, when he resigned and the office was discontinued.
There are in Truro Township seven churches, four of which are in Reynoldsburg, one Baptist, one Presbyterian, one Methodist, and one Universalist. Near the middle of the township is the old Presbyterian "Truro meeting house," and at White Hall and at Mr. Powell's are Methodist meeting houses.
The old "Truro meeting house," was erected about the year 1820, and the church was organized by Doctor Hoge. The successive pastors have been, Rev. Matthew Taylor, Rev. Abner Leonard, Rev. Elias Vandeman, Rev. John M. Fulton, Rev. J. D. Smith, Rev. John Scott, Rev. John Arthur, Rev. Andrew Barr, Rev. W. Maynard, the present pastor.
In 1840, the population of this township, including the town of Reynoldsburg, was 1439. In 1850, it was 2156. In 1853, the township contained twelve school districts, and an aggregate of 659 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 807.
REYNOLDSBURG POST OFFICE - (Established in 1833.)
James C. Reynolds, first postmaster, appointed in 1833.
Hiram Sibel, second postmaster, appointed in1840.
E. G. Hardesty, third postmaster, appointed in1841.
Jas. C. Reynolds, fourth postmaster, appointed in1842.
John Miller, fifth postmaster, appointed in1846.
Lewis Sells, sixth postmaster, appointed in1847.
L. P. Rhoads, seventh postmaster, appointed in1849.
R. R. Johnston, eighth postmaster, appointed in1853.
John Cookes, ninth postmaster, appointed in1855.
H. E. Miller, tenth postmaster, appointed in1855
John Wright, eleventh postmaster, appointed in1856.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
1810.Ebenezer Richards, elected.
1812.Richard Suddick and John Stevenson, elected.
1815.Richard Suddick, reelected, and James Taylor, elected.
1818.John Long and Richard Cortright, in place of Taylor and Suddick.
1821.Long and Cortright, both reelected.
1822.Matthew Crawford, in place of Cortright, removed fom the township.
1824.John Long, reelected.
1825.Matthew Crawford, reelected
1827.John Long, reelected
1828.Daniel Whetsel, in place of Crawford.
1829.Jonathan McComb and Jeremiah Nay, in place of Long and Whetsel, both resigned.
1832.McComb, reelected, and James C. Reynolds, in place of Nay.
1835.McComb, reelected, and Daniel Taft, in place of Reynolds.
1838.Joseph A. Reynolds, in place of Taft.
1839.James C. Reynolds, in place of Joseph A. Reynolds, resigned, and Sylvanus Baldwin, in place of McComb.
1842.Baldwin, reelected, and Geo. D. Graham, in place of Reynolds.
1843.A third justice was allowed to the township, and James Fanchor, elected.
1845.Solomon Shultz, in place of Fancher, resigned.
1845Baldwin and Graham, reelected.
1846.John Miller, in place of Baldwin, deceased.
1848.Geo. D. Graham and Solomon Shultz, both reelected.
1849.John B. West, in place of Miller.
1851.David K. Wood, in place of Graham, and S. Shultz, reelected.
1852.John B. West, reelected, and Barnabas Harris, in place of Shultz, resigned.
1854.D. K. Wood, reelected.
1855.B. Harris, reelected
1856.N. C. Mason, in place of West.
1857.James Taylor, in place of Wood.
1858.E. C. Green, in place of Harris.
This township was organized in 1810, and then embraced two or three times its present boundaries, but after the organization of Jefferson and Blendon, in 1815 and 1816, it was reduced to its present bounds, which is just one original surveyed township of five miles square, and is designated on all correct maps as township two, in range sixteen, of the United States Military Lands. The fourth or south-east quarter was laid out into one hundred acre lots for the benefit of revolutionary soldiers, holding one hundred acre warrants, and the patents issued accordingly. Quarters number one and two, (north half of the township,) were afterward laid out into sections of six hundred and forty acres, and subdivided into quarter sections, and sold as other Congress lands. The third, or south-west quarter, four thousand acres, was patented to Dudley Woodbridge in 1800, and was in April, 1802, sold and conveyed by Woodbridge to John Huffman, then of Washington County, Pennsylvania, but afterward a well known citizen of Franklin County, Ohio, for one gallon of whisky per acre, that is, for four thousand gallons of whisky, delivered at Marietta, though the consideration named in the deed is four thousand dollars. Mr. Huffman subsequently, about the year 1821 or '22, divided these lands amongst his children.
It is said that Joseph Scott was the first settler in the township, on a lease from Huffman; though near the same time, in the summer or fall of 1802, Adam Baughman and Samuel Baughman, and one or two others, removed from Pennsylvania to these lands, part of the way cutting the road through the woods as they went. Henry Huffman soon followed, and subsequently 'Squire Patterson and others.
Mr. Samuel Baughman has been a resident of that township ever since, and whilst his friends and pioneer companions have paid the debt of nature, he is still living, and enjoying good health and al the comforts consequent upon industry and prudent economy.
Amongst the early settlers, but subsequent to those above named, were Lorin Hills, Jesse Byington, Gilbert Waters, William Yantes, Abraham Williams, Joseph Moore and others. The land was not regarded as being of the best quality, but the water was good and the location was healthy, and the increase of population regular until it is now densely settled, and the improvements generally good. There has, however, as yet been no flouring mill in the township, but some half dozen or more saw mills. Daniel Kramer erected the first on Rocky Fork about the year 1827 or '28, since which Archibald Smith, Christian Bevelheimer, Daniel Swickard and some others have erected saw mills.
Of religious denominations, the Methodists are perhaps, the most numerous in this township. They have a good brick meeting house, erected about 1837 or '38, in the northern part of the township, called "Plain Chapel," and a good frame meeting house in the town of New Albany, erected about 1847 or '48. The United Brethren are also tolerably numerous. They have a brick church near the center of the township, erected about the year 1836 or 37. The Albrites, German, have a good wooden church building about one mile west from Plain Chapel. The Presbyterians have a small wooden church in New Albany, congregation small.
In 1826, Lorin Hills and Lester Humphrey laid out a town on the Granville road near where New Albany now is, which they called "Lafayetteville," and had the plat recorded, etc., but it never improved, and was finally vacated.
In 1835, Francis Clymer laid out a town on his farm which he called "Mount Pleasant," but this also was a failure, and was abandoned.
In May, 1837, Noble Landon and William Yantis laid out the town of New Albany, not as partners, but one owned the land on one side of the main street, and the other on the opposite side, and they had it all platted together, but each one held or disposed of his own lots at his pleasure. It is now a thriving village, and quite an advantage to the country around. The town is incorporated, and in April, 1856, they held their first charter election, at which the following gentlemen were elected, to wit: S. Ogden, Mayor; C. S. Ogden, Recorder; R. Phelps, Marshal; F. Johnson, J. McCurdy, C. Baughman, A. B. Beem, S. Stinson, Councilmen.
The population of this township, agreeably to the census of 1840, was 1264. In 1850, it was 1561. In 1853, the township contained twelve school districts, and an aggregate of 653 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was, as returned to the Auditor's office, six hundred.
There is but one post office in the township of Plain, and that is in New Albany. It was established in 1838, and is named "Hope."
Noble Landson, Esq., first postmaster, commissioned May 15th, 1838, and continued by reappointment April 15, 1853.
Daniel Horlocker, Esq., second postmaster, appointed April 15, 1853.
Jacob Ullery, Esq., third postmaster, (present incumbent,) appointed January 22, 1855.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
1810.John Scott and Simeon Moore, elected.
1811.Jacob Tharp, in place of Scott.
1814.Simeon Moore, reelected.
1815.Jacob Smith and Thomas B. Patterson.
1817.George Wells, elected.
1818.Thos. B. Patterson, reelected.
1819.Asa Whitehead, elected.
1820.John Davis, elected
1821.Thos. B. Patterson, reelected.
1823.John Davis, reelected, and Abraham Williams.
1826.Davis and Williams, both reelected.
1829.Daniel Swickard and Joseph Moore.
1832.Swickard and Moore, both reelected.
1835.Swickard, reelected, and Paul Farber, in place of Moore.
1838.Swickard, reelected, and Joseph Moore, in place of Farber.
184-.Daniel Hamaker and Isaac Williams, in place of Swickard and Moore.
1844.Hamaker and Williams, both reelected.
1847.Hamaker and Williams, both reelected
1850.Hamaker, reelected, and Daniel Horlocker, in place of Williams.
1853.Hamaker, reelected, and James Carpenter, in place of Horlocker.
1856.(In spring,) George Wagner, in place of Hamaker.
1856(In fall,) Daniel Hamaker, again in place of Carpenter.
The first settlement of what is now Mifflin Township was commenced about the year 1799 or 1800, by emigrants from Pennsylvania. Amongst the first settlers, were William Read, (afterward Judge Read,) William Simmons, Frederick Agler, George Baughman, Daniel Turney, Matthias Ridenour, then Ebenezer Butler, and others. In the division of the county into townships, in 1803, this territory was included in, and formed a part of, Liberty Township. In 1811, the township was established and organized with its present boundaries, and named after their old Pennsylvania Governor - Mifflin. It consists of just one of the original surveyed townships, of five miles square, and is designated as township number one, in range number seventeen, of the United States Military Lands. There was nothing remarkable in the settlement of the township; the population and improvements progressed regularly.
There has not yet been any flouring mill erected in this township, but several saw mills - some that have done a good business, and others that appeared to do well for a time, but were then suffered to run down. Amongst the former, are Dean's old mill, erected over thirty years ago, and now owned by Judge Heyl, and Park's mill; and amongst the latter, was one erected by Mr. Janney, on Walnut Creek, about the year 1835 or '36, and afterward owned by J. M. Walcutt, Esq., and one erected by A. McElvain, on Alum Creek, about the year 1838 or '39. There is but one town or village in this township, and that is Gahanna, or Bridgeport, laid out part by John Clark, Esq., in 1848 or '49, ad called Gahanna, and part by Jesse Baughman, Esq., in 1853, and called Bridgeport. There is a post office in this place, established in August, 1849. Thos. Young, Esq., was the first postmaster, and continued until July, 1853; when John T. Baughman, the present incumbent was appointed. There is another post office on Alum Creek, at Park's saw mill. This was established in 1851. The first postmaster was Jeremiah Lasure, who continued until 1853, when he was succeeded by James Parks, Esq., the present incumbent.
The population of this township, agreeably to the census of 1840, was 825. In 1850, it was 1,095. In 1853, the township contained nine school districts, and an aggregate of 446 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 458.
There are two churches contiguous to the village of Bridgeport, one a good frame building, belonging to the Presbyterians, and the other a brick, belonging to the Lutheran and German Reformed congregations.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
1811.Frederick Agler and John Scott, elected.
1815.John Scott, reelected, and Stephen Harris, in Agler's place.
1816. Stephen R. Price and Henry Hawken, in place of Scott and Harris, removed from township.
1819.S. R. Price, reelected, and Samuel Gillet, in place of Hawken, declined.
1822.Price and Gillet, both reelected.
1823.John Hawken, in place of Gillet, deceased.
1825.James Smith, in place of Price, and same year Hugh Ijams in place of Smith, removed.
1827.Wm. Dalzell, in place of Hawken.
1828.Hugh Ijams, reelected.
1829.David Beers, in place of Balzell, removed.
1832.David Beers, reelected, and James Price, in place of Ijams.
1835.David Beers, reelected, and John Starret, in place of Price.
1838. Beers and Starret, both reelected.
1841.Beers, reelected, and James Price, in place of Starret.
1844.Beers and Price, both reelected.
1847.Beers and Price, both reelected
1850.Beers, reelected, and John Starret, in place of Price.
1853.Beers, reelected, and A. W. Jeffries, in place of Starret.
1855.Henry Ridenour, in place of Jeffires, assigned.
1856.David Beers, reelected.
1858.(Apr.) Philip Keim elected, commissioned and resigned, all in the same month.
This township consists of just one of the original surveyed townships, of five miles square, and is designated on the original plats as township one, range eighteen, United States Military Lands. Amongst the first settlers in this township, were the Fultons - Hugh and Robert - John Hunter, Samuel McElvain and family, John Lisle and family, Mr. Henderson and family, and the Hesses; and about the year 1804 or 1805, David Beers and family.
In 1811, it was organized as a township. In 1814, Roswell Wilcox moved into the township, and erected the mills long known as "Wilcox mills," but of late years known as the "Platt mills," and now owned by the Messrs. Hess, which have been doing a useful business over forty years. Farther up the creek, are George Whip's mills, also doing a good business; and there are three distilleries in the township doing a pretty extensive business manufacturing liquor, and fattening hogs, etc.
About the year 1846 or '47, Alanson Bull, Esq., sold a few building lots on the road side, which were bought and improved by mechanics. He did not have any plat of his lots recorded, nor did he design it for a regular town, but merely to afford residences for a few mechanics, for the benefit of the neighborhood. It however soon grew into a village, and assumed the name of "Clintonville." There was a post office established here in Oct. 1847, and James Ferguson appointed postmaster, who was succeeded by his son J. M. Ferguson, the present postmaster.
In 1852, Messrs. Solomon and George W. Beers, laid out some lots on the roadside between Clintonville and Columbus, and had their plat recorded, and named the place "North Columbus;" in which some considerable improvements have been made.
There are in this township three churches and three cemeteries - a Methodist Church and burying place on the Worthington plank road, near the residence of Rev. Jason Bull; and another about five miles from Columbus, on the Lockwin plank road, near the residence of G. S. Innis, Esq.; and a church at Clintonville, belonging to the Christian denomination; and a burying place three or four miles north of Columbus, on the west side of the Olenangy.
In 1840, this township contained 969 inhabitants. In 1850, it contained 1,186. In 1853, in constituted ten school districts, and contained an aggregate of 370 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 430.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
1811.Wm. McElvain and Wm. Drody, elected.
1812.Daniel Hess, in place of McElvain, removed.
1814. John Smith, in place of Drody.
1815.John Hunter, in place of Hess.
1817.John Smith, reelected.
1818.John Hunter, reelected
1820.Elam Jewett, in place of Smith.
1821.John Hunter, reelected, and Aristarchus Walker, in place of Jewett, deceased.
1824.Hunter and Walker, both reelected.
1827.Jason Bull, in place of Hunter, deceased, and A. Walker, again reelected.
1830.Jason Bull, reelected, and Jacob Slyh, in Walker's place.
1833.Bull and Slyh, both reelected.
1836.Samuel Kinnear and Washington Lakins.
1839.Kinnear, reelected, and Truman Skeels.
1842.Kinnear, reelected, and Joseph Pegg, in place of Skeels.
1845.Edward A. Stanley.
1848.Stanley, reelected, and Eli M. Lisle.
1851.Stanley and Lisle, both reelected.
1853.Joseph Pegg, elected - (died in 1854.)
1854.Samuel Kinnear and G. S. Innis.
1858.Moses Beers, in place of Innis.
This township was stricken off from Sharon, and established the 6th of March, 1815, by the name of Harrison, (the original Harrison Township, described in Chapter II, having been chiefly stricken from Franklin County in the formation of Pickaway County, in 1810, and the remaining part of it being included in the townships of Hamilton and Madison.) In 1825, the County Commissioners changed the name from Harrison to Blendon. The township consists of just one original surveyed township, of five miles square; being township number two, in range seventeen, United States Military Lands. The settlement of this township was not commenced quite as soon as some of the surrounding ones. The first settlers here, were Messrs. Edward Phelps and Isaac Griswold. They arrived here from Windsor, Connecticut, in 1806; the former is said to have cut the first tree ever felled by a white man in the township. Mr. Phelps died in 1840, aged eight-one years. Mr. Griswold has resided in the township ever since 1806, and still (1858) is in the enjoyment of a sound constitution and good health. In 1808, Messrs. George Osborn and Ethan Palmer, from Windsor, and Francis Olmsted and his family of sons, (of whom Gen. Philo H. is one,) arrived from Simsbury, Connecticut; and about the same time Cruger Wright settled here, and John Matton and Reuben Carpenter, from Vermont, Henry Hone, from Pennsylvania, Isaac Harrison, John and William Cooper, from Virginia. Subsequently, Capt. John Bishop, Timothy Lee, Esq., Gideon W. Hart, Esq., the Westervelts, and others.
There are in this township two villages: Westerville, laid out by Matthew Westervelt, in July, 1839; and Amalthea, or Central College, laid out by the College Board of Trustees, on the lands of T. Lee, Esq., in 1849. There are three post offices in this township: The one at Blendon Four Corners, was established in 1824, and first called Harrison. In 1825, after the name of the township was changed, the office was called Blendon Cross Roads, or Four Corners. Isaac Griswold, Esq., was the first postmaster, and continued by reappointments until 1853, when he resigned, and his son Cicero Griswold, the present incumbent, was appointed. The Westerville office was established about the year 1846. Jacob B. Connelly, Esq., first postmaster; W. W. Whitehead, second; W. Brush, third; W. W. Whitehead, fourth; Henry Dyxon, fifth; N. M. Hawthorn, sixth; James Westervelt, seventh; Milton H. Mann, the present incumbent.
The Blendon Institute post office was established in 1841-changed name to Central College in 1852. Austin Stibbins has been the postmaster from its first establishment until the present time.
The different denominations of professing Christians in the township, are Old School and New School Presbyterians, United Brethren, and Methodists; all of which have their several places of worship.
The population of this township, agreeably to the census of 1840, was 972. In 1850, it was 1,303. In 1853, the township contained thirteen school districts, and an aggregate of 548 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 547.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1815.Cruger White and Isaac Griswold, elected.
1818.Timothy Lee and Reuben Carpenter, in place of Wright and Griswold.
1821.Lee and Carpenter, both reelected.
1824.Gideon W. Hart and Robert Jameson, to succeed Lee and Carpenter.
1826.Abram Phelps, in place of Jameson, resigned.
1827.G. W. Hart, reelected, then resigned - Jameson also resigned.
1828.Abram Phelps and G. W. Hart, both reelected.
1831.Phelps and Hart, both again reelected.
1834.Hart, reelected, and Cruger Write, in place of Phelps, deceased.
1837.Welch Richey, in place of Hart, and Jared W. Copeland, in place of Wright.
1840.Easton Sherman, in place of Richey.
1840Randal R. Arnold, in place of Copeland.
1843.Easton Sherman, reelected-died same year.
1843Alexander Arrison, in place of Sherman
1843Jacob B. Connelly, in place of Arnold.
1844.Number of Justices increased to three, and Homer M. Phelps, elected.
1845.Timothy Lee, in place of Arrison, resigned.
1846.R. R. Arnold, in place of J. B. Connelly.
1847.Homer M. Phelps, reelected.
1848.Timothy Lee, reelected
1849.Thomas J. Alexander, in place of Arnold.
1850.H. M. Phelps, reelected-resigned in 1852.
1851.Timothy Lee, reelected.
1852.Wm. H. Grinnell, in place of Phelps, resigned.
1852Thos. J. Alexander, reelected-resigned in 1853.
1853.Ezra Munson, in place of Alexander.
1854.Theron Lee, in place of Timothy Lee-resigned same month.
1854Asa Bills, in place of Theron Lee.
1855. John Knox, in place of Grinnell-resigned 1856.
1856.Wm. H. Grinnell, in place of Knox, resigned.
1856Ezra Monson, reelected.
1857.J. L. Westervelt, in place of Bills.
This township was established the 6th of September, 1816, by its present name and boundaries; it is just five miles square, being the first township in the sixteenth range, of the United State Military Lands. It had originally been part of Liberty Township, and subsequently part of Plain. Its first settlement commenced about the year 1802 or 1803. A large proportion of the early settlers were from the State of New Jersey. The first, or north-east quarter of the township, was patented to Gen. Jonathan Dayton, of that State, in 1800, and he had it platted into lots of one hundred acres, and sold a number of them in New Jersey to persons who had never seen the land. It is said that those thus purchasing determined their locations by lot.
Amongst the early settlers in this township, were Daniel Dague, Moses Ogden, Peter Francisco, Wm. Headly, Michael Stagg, Abraham Stagg, Jacob Tharp, Jacob Smith, John H. Smith, and Jonathan Whitehead; and subsequently, Joseph Edgar, John Kelso, Michael Neiswanger, Shuah Mann, etc.
About the year 1811 or '12, Jacob Tharp erected the first grist mill on Black Lick Creek, which was afterward known as Somerville's mill, and is now owned by Thomas Rees. The third, or south-west quarter of the township, was held by the heirs of L. Brien until 1850, when it was sold and conveyed by them to David Taylor, Esq., at ten dollars per acre. In 1853, he laid out a village on this land, erected a ware-house, saw mill, etc., and named the place Grahamsville, though it is generally known as "Taylor's Station." The great body of his purchase he sold out in suitable farm lots, at a handsome profit.
The village of Smithville was laid out by Wm. A. Smith in the year 1852. There is a post office at this place, called "Black Lick post office." It was established in 1852. Thomas McCollum was the first postmaster, and continued until 1856, when he was succeeded by C.S. Morris, Esq.; and in 1857 Morris was succeeded by Ezekiel Compton. There is another, and older post office in this township, at Headley's Corners, called "Ovid post office." It was established in 1832. Dr. Ezekiel Whitehead was the first postmaster. He held the office a few years, and was succeeded by William Headly, Esq., the present incumbent.
In 1840, this township contained 1,040 inhabitants. In 1850, it contained 1,236. In 1853, the township contained eleven school districts, and an aggregate of 534 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 559.
Successive Justices of the Peace
1817. Jacob Smith and William Dean, elected.
1817. Henderson Crabb, elected.
1818. John Inks, elected.
1820. Jacob Smith, re-elected.
1821. Isaac Painter, in place of Inks.
1823. Jacob Smith, re-elected.
1824. Andrew Allison, in place of Painter.
1826. Jacob Smith, re-elected.
1827. Andrew Allison, re-elected.
1828. George Beals, in place of Allison, who removed.
1829. Abraham Stagg, in place of Smith.
1831. George Beals, re-elected.
1832. Michael Neiswender, in place of Stagg.
1834. George Beals, re-elected.
1835. Isaac Painter, in place of Beals, deceased, and Neiswender, re-elected.
1838. Peter Mills and Jacob Smith, jr.
1841. Jacob Smith, jr., re-elected, and Shuah Mann.
1844. Shuah Mann, re-elected, and John Painter.
1847. Mann and Painter, both re-elected.
1850. Mann and Painter, both re-elected.
1853. Mann and painter, both re-elected.
1854. Charles L. Morris, in place of Painter, resigned.
1856. Shuah Mann, re-elected.
1857. Wm. S. Armsted, in place of Morris, removed.
This township was laid out and organized by its present name in 1813; but it then extended across the river, including what is now the south end of Perry. In the original division of the county into townships in 1803, what is now Norwich constituted a part of Franklin Township; and when Washington was set off and established in 1809, it then constituted a part of that township, and so remained until 1813. There never was any village in this township until after the Columbus, Piqua and Indiana Railroad was established, and then the village of Hilliard was laid out in the fall of 1853, by John R. Hilliard. The place is generally known as "Hilliard's Station." It is quite a small village of probably a dozen families, two grocery stores, and a post office. The first post office in this township was established in the spring of 1852, at Smiliey's Corners - David Smiley, Esq., postmaster. In 1854, it was discontinued and an office established at Hilliard, and Thomas W. Dobyns, Esq., the present incumbent, appointed postmaster.
There is one grist mill and several saw mills in this township. The grist mill is on the Scioto, erected by Joseph Corban some twelve or fifteen years since. A saw mill at the same place had been erected by Samuel Wilcox, some years before. These are now known as "Howard's mills." There is a steam saw mill at Hilliard, and one or two others in the township.
Amongst the oldest residents of the township at this time are Benjamin Britton and family, Wm. Armsted and family, Asa Davis, Asa Wilcox, John and Moses Hart, David Thomas, and some years after came Daniel Buck, Ezekiel Lattimer, David Smiley, Daniel D. Lattimer and others.
The leading religious denominations in this township are Methodists and United Brethren. The Methodists have a church building called "Wesley Chapel," near the residence of David Smiley, Esq., and some two or three other preaching places in school houses. The United Brethren hold their meetings at Carter's school house.
In 1840, the population of this township was 731. In 1850, it was 1053. In 1853, it was divided into ten school districts, and contained an aggregate of 460 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 491.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1813.Daniel Brunk, elected.
1814.Thomas Backus and Ebenezer Richards, elected.
1816.Daniel Brunk, reelected, and Robert Elliot, elected.
1817.Amaziah Hutchinson, elected.
1819.Daniel Brunk and Robert Elliot, both reelected.
1822.D. Brunk, reelected, and John McCan, in place of Elliot, declined.
1825.L. L. Lattimer, in place of Brunk, and John McCan, reelected.
1828.John Weeden and George Black, to succeed Lattimer and McCan.
1830.David Smiley, in place of Black, deceased.
1831.Miner Pickle, in place of Weeden.
1833.Miskell Saunders, in place of Smiley.
1834.Henry McCracken, in place of Pickle.
1836.Miskell Saunders, reelected.
1837.Henry McCracken, reelected
1839.Miskell Saunders, reelected.
1840.Benjamin Scofield, in place of McCracken.
1842.Miskell Saunders, reelected.
1843.Benjamin Scofield, reelected
1845.Miskell Saunders, reelected
1846.Benjamin Scofield, reelected
1848.Miskell Saunders, reelected
1848John T. Britton, in place of Saunders, deceased.
1849.Benjamin Scofield, reelected.
1851.John T. Britton, reelected
1851Henry McCracken, elected, additional.
1852.Benjamin Scofield, reelected.
1852John Caldwell, in place of McCracken, removed to the west.
1854.John T. Britton, reelected.
1855.James H. Ralston, in place of Scofield.
1855John Caldwell, reelected.
1856.Thomas W. Dobyns, in place of Ralston, removed.
1857.John T. Britton, reelected.
*When this township extended over the river - until 1820, there were three Justices; after 1820 there was but two, until 1851, when the number was again increased to three.
*Squire Saunders died Oct. 16, 1848, in the 58th year of his age. On his tomb stone is this rather singular inscription: "He died a Christian and a Democrat."
This township was set off and organized by its present name and boundaries in 1815. It had originally been part of Franklin Township. Amongst the early settlers in this township were William Brown, Nicholas Haun, Jonas Orders, William Badger, Woolry Conrod, William Sinnet, the Brackenridges, the Borers, the Straders and the Goldsmiths.
Until of late years, this township suffered much inconvenience from the want of direct and good roads to market; but since the construction of the Harrisburg turnpike, the Franklin turnpike and the Cottage Mill turnpike, all passing through this township, that inconvenience has been removed, and the township is increasing in population as fast as any other in the county.
There was no village nor post office in the township until Grove City was laid out in the summer of 1852, by W.F. Breck, Esq., and a post office was then established at that place. Mr. Breck was the first postmaster, and held the office until 1857, when he was succeeded by Randolph Higgy, Esq., the present incumbent.
Grove City now contains about thirty families, two stores, one tavern, one physician, a large school and three churches -- a Lutheran, a German Reformed and a Presbyterian. The Methodists also hold their meetings in the same house as the Presbyterians. Beside these churches there are in the township three others of the Methodist denomination -- the "Hopewell, on the Jackson turnpike, a wooden building, erected in 1839, the "Concord," a wooden building, erected some years before, near the Shadesville pike, and "Hickory Seminary," erected since both the above, for the double purpose of church and school house.
Some thirty years ago, Rev. Benjamin Britton of Norwich Township used to occasionally preach for the New-Lights in Jackson, and Rev. Chandler Rogers of Perry for the Universalists. Mr. Rogers has been dead some years; Mr. Britton still survives.
There is no grist mill in this township, but several saw mills.
The population of the township in 1840, was 784. In 1850, it was 1550 -- almost doubled in ten years.
In 1853, the township constituted twelve school districts and an aggregate of 676 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 736.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1815. Wm. Brown and Wm. Badger, elected.
1818. Brown and Badger, both reelected.
1821. Woolry Conrod and William C. Duff, to succeed Brown and Badger.
1824. Conrod and Duff, both reelected.
1827. Woolry Conrod, reelected, and William Brown, again, in place of Duff, deceased.
1830. Woolry Conrod, reelected, and William Seeds, in place of Brown, deceased.
1833. Jacob B. Deimer, in place of Conrod, declined, and Wm. Seeds reelected.
1836. Woolry Conrod and John Gantz, in place of Deimer and Seeds.
1839. John Gantz and Joshua Glanville.
1840. Robert Seeds, in place of Glanville, removed.
1842. John Dunn, in place of Gantz.
1843. Robert Seeds, reelected.
1845. John Dunn, reelected
1846. Robert Seeds, reelected
1848. John Dunn, reelected.
1849. Robert Seeds, reelected.
1851. John Dunn, reelected.
1851 Isaac Miller, in place of Seeds.
1854. H.S. Mitchel and Isaac White.
1857. E.C. Brett, in place of White, and Mitchel reelected.
This township was set off and organized by its present name in 1819, though its bounds then extended farther north, including a considerable part of what is now Brown. It had originally been part of Franklin. Amongst the early settlers in this township, were Samuel Higgins and family, Shadrick Postle and family, and William Mannon and family.
In 1813, the Clover family, originally from Virginia, but then from Ross County, Ohio, removed into Prairie Township, and formed a settlement that it is still know as the "Clover Settlement." The family, beside the two old people, consisted of ten brothers - Peter, Joshua, Jacob, Solomon, Henry, Samuel, Philip, John, William and Aaron - and two sisters. Solomon and Samuel were the brag hunters of the neighborhood. Solomon was fond of hunting; and, it was said, killed more wolves, bear and deer, than any of his competitors in that line.
Wolf scalps then bore a premium. He still lives in the neighborhood, and is fond of his gun and the chase. He occasionally takes a hunting excursion, in the fall of the year, up in Wood County.
There are three Methodist Churches in this township: one at Alton, one in Clovers' Settlement, and one in the south part of the township, known as the Henderson Church - all frame buildings, and each one has a burying ground contiguous to it. And there is a German Lutheran Church about two miles north of Rome - a hewed log building, erected some fifteen or eighteen years since, and answering for both and school house, and in which a respectable German school is taught. They also have a burying ground contiguous to the church.
After the construction of the National Road, in the spring of 1836, the town of Alton was laid out by Thomas Graham, and a post office was established there. The successive postmasters have been: John Graham, first; Mervin Stearwalt, second; David P. Cole, third; Solomon Putman, fourth; Goodhue McGill, fifth; and A.W. Shearer, sixth and present.
About the same time that Alton was laid out, James Bryden and Adam Brotherlin laid out lots for a town on the pike, two or three miles east of Alton, which they named "Rome." The two villages, so near together, could not both thrive. Alton took the lead, and Rome never contained more than a dozen families.
Previous to this, in 1832, Job Postle laid out some lots for a town, and had his plat recorded, etc., which he named "Lafayetteville." It however never was any thing more than a town upon paper.
In 1840, the population of this township was 606.
In 1850, it was 1,043. In 1853, the township constituted seven school districts, and contained an aggregate of 411 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 451.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1820. Peter Clover and Francis Downing, elected.
1823. Peter Clover, reelected, and James Boyd, in place of Downing.
1826. Israel P. Brown and Wm. Stiarwalt, in place of Clover and Boyd.
1829. Peter Clover, again, in place of Brown, and Wm. Stiarwalt, reelected.
1832. George Richey, in place of Clover, and Stiarwalt, reelected - and same year, John G. Neff, in place of Richey resigned.
1835. Wm. Stiarwalt, reelected, and Russell N. Grinnold, in place of Neff.
1836. Reuben Folliday, in place of Grinnold, deceased.
1839. Thomas O'Harra, in place of Stiarwalt.
1839 David Howard, in place of Golliday, removed From the township.
1842. Thos. O'Harra and David Howard, both reelected.
1845. Howard, reelected, and Thomas J. Moorman in Place of O'Harra.
1848. Thos. O'Harra and John Gantz, in place of Howard and Moorman.
1851. David P. Cole, in place of Gantz, and Samuel Kell, in place of O'Harra.
1854. Thos. O'Harra, again, and Samuel Kell, reelected.
1857. Samuel Kell, reelected, and Andrew W. Shearer.
1857 Smith Postle, elected a third or additional Justice.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails