Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led
Gallia County, Ohio
Obituaries and Death Notices

~ J ~

Hiram Jacox
DIED.-- In Green township, May 7th, of bronchitis, Hiram Jacox aged 62 years. He was born in Canada West.
[Gallipolis Journal, (Gallipolis, Oh.) Thursday, May 11, 1876 - Sub by Kathy McDaniel]

Fannie R. James
DIED. In Green township, May 9th, 1876, of consumption, Mrs. Fannie R. James, in the 43d year of her age.
Possessed of the virtues of the true woman, in the varied relations of life, she filled a worthy place in the esteem and confidence of all who knew her. Her afflictions were long and severe--protracted through seven years--yet she bore them with great patience, looking to Him who is able to sustain and comfort His afflicted ones, and manifesting such triumph in His grace, as gave her complete victory over the fear of death. A husband and three children, with a large circle of relatives and friends mourn their loss.
[Gallipolis Journal, (Gallipolis, Oh.) Thursday, June 29, 1876 - Sub by Kathy McDaniel]

Mrs. W. L. James
Mrs. W. L. James, (nee Morrison) died at the residence of her husband, in Green township, Tuesday morning.
[Gallipolis Journal, (Gallipolis, Oh.) Thursday, May 11, 1876 - Sub by Kathy McDaniel]

Wilma Provens Spring Jastrzomb
Wilma Provens Spring, 86, of Del City, passed away Monday, June 20, 1995. She was born Feb. 23, 1909 in Gallia, Co., Ohio to William & Myrtie (Hively) Provens. Wilma is survived by a daughter, Julianne & husband, Harry W. Case of Del City; 5 grandchildren, 7 great grandchildren; a brother, Clyde Provens of Akron, Oh. Services will be Friday, June 23, at 10:00 a.m. in the Bill Eisenhour Southeast Chapel with burial in Sunny Lane Cemetery.
[Daily Oklahoman, The (Oklahoma City, OK) - June 22, 1995]

Thomas Jenkins
DIED. Thomas, second son of G. W. and A. Jenkins, of Harrison Township, Gallia Co., Ohio, died July the 19th, 1880, of cerrebro-spinal meningitis, aged 18 years, 8 months and 18 days. The first link of the family circle is severed. Death, the certain vistor of all, came and placing his cold hand silently upon his honest brow said, enough; thy weary limbs from toil are free. At his touch the ever healthful cheek paled; the lip quivered; the spirit fled and left but the clay of the manliest of men, over which the bereaved family and friends took the sadest of sad farewells---a noble hearted, pure and virtuous son and brother taken in the prime of life, and so suddenly leaves in the remaining hearts of this disconsolate home a wound so deep that time can never, never efface. Gentle be thy rest and glorious thine awakening.
Weep not for him that dieth, For he sleeps and is at rest, And the couch whereon he lieth Is the green earth's quiet breast. His soul to-day is far away, Or may be hovering o'er you. You'll see him in the coming day, He's only gone before you. Farewell, father! farewell, mother! You that I love with love so dear, Farewell, brother! farewell, sister! Don't weep for me, don't weep or fear. I'll wait for you at Heaven's gate, And watch you crossing over, I'll greet your coming, one by one, Till all of us are gathered home, To be with Christ around His throne, Forever and forever. W. H. B.
[Gallipolis Journal, (Gallipolis, Oh.) Thursday, August 5, 1880 - Sub by Kathy McDaniel]

Beulah Johnson
Johnson, Beulah, 89, of Pinellas Park, died Friday (Sept. 1, 1995) at Northside Hospital. She was born in Fulton, Ky., and formerly lived in Gallia County, Ohio. She retired from Selby Shoe Co., Portsmouth, Ohio. Survivors include a brother, William C. Blaine, Stout, Ohio; and a sister, Pauline Dickerson, Indianapolis. Waugh-Halley-Wood Funeral Home, Gallipolis, Ohio.
Redington Shores
[St. Petersburg Times (FL) - September 6, 1995]

Hattie A. Johnston
DIED. JOHNSON--In this city, July 6th, 1873, Mrs. Hattie A. Johnston, wife of James B. Johnston, aged 23 years, four months and six days.
Hattie, dear Hattie, come back from that shore, Meet me again as you did at the door; Give me your kiss and warm clasp of the hand--Hattie come back from that radiant land.
Meet me again with your living embrace, Let your dark lashes sweep over my face, Let your soft hair fall over me now, Shading the glare of the world from my brow.
Hattie, dear Hattie, come back to the room, And drive from its corners the shadows of gloom; Oh! 'tis so still, so dreary and cold Since you have left the dust for the gold.
Since you have left the shadows for light, Since you have gone with the angels so bright, Oh! I'm so lonely since Hattie has died, Would I were resting there by her side.
Oh! Hattie, dear Hattie, I've buried you low, Oh! why should I call you--forever I know That while your dear body is resting below Your spirit has gone on the wings of God's love, And there, dear Hattie, I'll meet you above.
[Gallipolis Journal, (Gallipolis, Oh.) Thursday, November 27, 1873 - Sub by Kathy McDaniel]

Freddie E. Jolly
Sad Accident.
On Monday week, Fred, the young son of Aaron Jolly, Addison Tp., was sent into the woods to chop some fire wood. He had succeeded in felling a tree, which caught his foot and held him fast. The rebound of the tree caused the butt to strike him in the hip and back, dislocating the former and producing internal injuries which caused his death on Friday. He was but 13 years of age and was a boy of much promise.
[Gallipolis Journal, October 28, 1880]

Freddie E. Jolly
DIED.Freddie E. Jolly was born Feb. 21st, 1867, died October 22d, 1880, aged 13 years, 8 months and one day, in disposition he was kind and forgiving, and for one of his age unusually thoughtful and industrious. In the home circle he was all that an obedient son and loving brother could be. As a schoolmate and friend he was esteemed and loved. And by assisting the aged and defending the weak showed a spirit of true manliness. It was remarked by those that waited upon him that through his sickness, which was of short duration, he was patient, gentle and polite. And, although his form may pass from our sight, his memory, endeared to us by many kind words and deeds, which will live forever in the hearts of those who loved him, and be an inspiration to them to meet him where all sighing shall cease, and all tears shall be wiped away.
[Gallipolis Journal, (Gallipolis, Oh.) Thursday, November 4, 1880 - Sub by Kathy McDaniel]

Mrs. Horace H. Jones
Mrs. Horace H. Jones died quite suddenly at her residence in this city, on Friday morning. Mr. Jones left here about a week since to visit the Centennial, going by the way of Richmond, Norfolk and thence by steamer to New York. Although the telegraph was used extensively his friends were unable to communicate the sad news to him. Mrs. Jones was in average health at the time of her husband's departure. The deceased was a Christian lady. She leaves no children. Later.--Mr. Jones was reached with a telegram at Philadelphia, on Monday evening, and immediately started home.
[Gallipolis Journal, (Gallipolis, Oh.) Thursday, July 6, 1876 - Sub by Kathy McDaniel]

Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails