Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Geauga County, Ohio
Genealogy and History

 


Biographies


N. BROTZMAN

BROTZMAN, N., Proprietor of Riley Cheese Factory, Sec. 22; Marengo P. O.; born in Geauga Co., Ohio; came to this county in 1871; owns 40 acres of land, valued at $40 per acre; was a member of the Ninth Ohio Independent Battery. Married Martha J. Proctor, of Geauga Co., Ohio, in 1864; has two children, Ida and Earl.
[Source: 1877 McHenry County, IL Directory - Submitted by K.T.]

CORRESTA T. CANFIELD

CANFIELD, Mrs. Corresta T., physician, born in Chardon, Ohio, 6th March, 1833. The Canfields, for meritorious service, received from the king of England, in 1350, a grant of land on the river Cam, in Yorkshire, and settled thereon. After occupying that grant for three-hundred years, they came to America, shortly after the arrival of the Plymouth Pilgrims, and were among the first settlers of New Haven, Conn. Dr. Canfield is descended from French Huguenots and New England Presbyterians. Her mother, reared at a time when it was thought a sin for a man to kiss his wife or babe on Sunday, did not neglect the moral training of her children. Intellectual, well-read, in advance of her time, the daughter has inherited energy, will power and executive ability. Corresta entered the seminary of Chardon at an early age, but she was soon married. Though a wife and mother, reading and study were kept up. From her childhood she was ambitious to be a physician. Left alone without resources, at the close of the Civil War, the ambitions of early youth revived. In 1869 she entered the Woman's Homeopathic College of Cleveland, Ohio. With the help of a half-year's scholarship Mrs. Canfield finished the first college year. In the second year she became an assistant of the president, Dr. Myra K. Merrick, and gained means to continue in college. She was graduated with first honors in 1871, having served for some time as demonstrator of anatomy. During the following summer she practiced in Fort Wayne, Ind., earning enough to enable her to enter the Men's Homeopathic College of Cleveland. While there, she was demonstrator of anatomy in the woman's department, and practiced enough, visiting patients mornings and evenings, to defray expenses. She attended all the lectures, passed through the whole curriculum and was graduated third in the men's course, the faculty acknowledging that she was entitled to a prize, but would not establish a precedent by awarding it to a practicing physician. A full-fledged M. D., she settled in Titusville, Pa. Having but fifteen dollars capital, she borrowed enough to buy out a resident physician, and under great opposition so won public patronage as to pay all her debts the first year. There she remained nearly ten years and amassed a snug sum. She next spent a year in traveling. In 1882 she settled in Chicago, where she has built up a large practice and served in many public offices. She is at present a member of the board of censors of the American Institute of Homeopathy, having been elected for the second time. She was the first woman who served in that capacity. One was elected the previous year but was not allowed to serve on the board of censors. Three years before her admission women were not permitted to join that society, and much opprobrium was still attached to those "hybrids" who did. Even women shared in that feeling. After a time, seeing none of her sex actively represented in the society, she felt that, to enjoy its privileges, one should assume its duties. She therefore prepared a paper and read it before the institute. She has served as president, vice-president and secretary of the Woman's Medical Association of Chicago, vice-president of the Hahnemann Clinical for two years, and has been appointed on the woman's committee for a homeopathic congress to be held during the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893.

MRS. MARLON HOWARD DUNHAM

DUNHAM, Mrs. Marlon Howard, born in Geauga county, Ohio, 6th December, 1842, passed the first part of her life upon a farm. She early decided to be a teacher, beginning her first district school at the age of fifteen, and taught in the public schools of Chicago, Ill., from 1866 to 1873. In July, 1873, she became the wife of C. A. Dunham,
an architect, of Burlington, Iowa, where they now live. In 1877 she entered upon temperance work with the inauguration of the red-ribbon movement, but, believing in more permanent methods, she was the prime mover in the organization of the local Woman's Christian Temperance Union, and has ever since been an active worker in that society. In 1883 she was elected State superintendent of the department of scientific temperance, and held the office four years, lecturing to institutes and general audiences on that subject much of the time. She procured the Iowa State law on that subject in February, 1886. When the Iowa State Temperance Union began to display its opposition to the National Union, she was rather slow to declare her position, which was always fully with the National, but she was soon forced to declare herself, and came to be considered rather a leader on the side of the minority. When the majority in the State Union seceded from the National Union, 16th October, 1890, she was elected president of those who remained auxiliary to that body. At the State convention in 1891 she was re-elected. She has spent a large part of her time in the field. She has always been a radical equal suffragist, and has spoken and written much on that subject. She is a Christian socialist, deeply interested in all reforms that promise to better the social system and the conditions of life for the multitudes.
["American Women", Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Volume 1, 1897; MS - Sub by FoFG]

P.S. GRIFFITH
GRIFFITH, P. S., Farmer and Stock Raiser, Sec. 24; Marengo P. O.; born in Geauga Co., O., October 20,1830 ; came to McHenry Co. in 1844; owns 330 acres of land, valued at $13,000; has been Township Treasurer twelve years, Town Assessor five years, also Collector two years. Married Asenid St. John, of Mosey Tp., Canada, October 19, 1856 ; has four children living-Kate S., Flora A., Cora W. and Mary E.
[Source: 1877 McHenry County, IL Directory - Submitted by K.T.]

C.M. HAYES
HAYES, C.M., photographer; born Chardon. O., (Geauga Co) Mar. 31, 1863; son of Enos and Emeline M (Griffith) Hayes; educated in public and high schools of Ohio; came to Detroit, 1885; married at Gainesville, O., 1884, Emma L. Tibbals. Began in photography, 1882, and has ever since continued in the business; has been senior member C. M. Hayes & Co. since 1891. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. President National Association of Photographers, 1901; member Detroit Archaeological Society. Universalist. Mason (32*), Knight Templar, Shriner. Club: Detroit Boat, Detroit Golf, Detroit Automobile, Fellowcraft. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: fine Arts Bldg. Residence: 1900 Woodward Av.
["The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908; CW - Sub by FoFG]

AUSTIN N. McCONOUGHEY
AUSTIN NEHEMIAH McCONOUGHEY,
[Class of 1842] -- born at Bainbridge, O., Aug. 30, 1812. Married Martha Nettleton in 1835; entered Oberlin theological seminary 1839, and graduated 1842, being ordained in Oberlin Aug. 23, of the same year. Preached at Dover, O., 1841-43, at Brooklyn 1843-44; at Lodi, 1844-47; Pittsfield, 1847-51; Chester Cross Roads, 1852-55; New Lyme, 1855-57; Ellington, N. Y.,1857-61; Adrian, Mich., Wabjamego and Caro, 1861-73; Metamora, Ill., 1874-76; Bowensburg, 1876-80; Freeport, Mich., and Fredonia, 1880-82. He returned to Caro and lived there after he had retired from active service. Died at Caro, April 14, 1898. [Source: Necrology Oberlin College For The Year 1897-8. Transcribed by: Helen Coughlin]

GILBERT METCALF
METCALF, GILBERT, Farmer and Stock Raiser, Sec. 24; Marengo P. O.; born in Geauga Co., Ohio, April 4, 1822; came to this county 1845; owns 101 acres of land, value $60 per acre. Married Louis Hotchkiss (since died), 1852; she was born in Connecticut; has two children living- Viola C. and Franz D.
[Source: 1877 McHenry County, IL Directory - Submitted by K.T.]

M. B. METCALF
METCALF, M. B., Dairyman, Sec. 12; Marengo P. O., born in Montville, Geauga Co., Ohio; came to this county --? owns 200 acres of land, value $60 per acre; School Trustee. Married Susan West Rockwood, of New York City, June 8, 1859 ; has five children
[Source: 1877 McHenry County, IL Directory - Submitted by K.T.]

M.C. METCALF
METCALF, M. C, Farmer, Sec. 11; Marengo P. O.; born in Montville, Geauga Co., Ohio; came to this county 1844; owns 135 acres of land, value $50 per acre. Married Jane Elizabeth Cobb, of Cazenovia, Madison Co., N. Y., February, 1851 ; has four children.
[Source: 1877 McHenry County, IL Directory - Submitted by K.T.]

W. D. RINGLAND
Living in McHenry County, IL in 1877
RINGLAND, W. D., Editor and Publisher Woodstock New Era; Woodstock; born in Amherst, Loraine Co., Ohio, June 19, 1839; came to McHenry Co. 1865; value of property $5,000 ; was a merchant at Algonquin seven years. Married Amanda Matthews, of Geauga Co., Ohio, in October, 1866 ; has four children.
[Source: "Directory of McHenry County" (IL), 1877, Submitted by Kim Torp]

BURTON WRIGHT
WRIGHT, BURTON, Farmer and Stock Dealer, n. w. Sec. 34; Woodstock P. O.; born in Munson, Geauga Co., Ohio. March 15, 1829; came to McHenry Co. (IL) May 10, 1869; owns 433 acres of land; valuation of property, $19,500 ; has been Assessor two years. Married Sophia Byrum, March 23,1849, of Geauga Co., Ohio, who died February 19, 1861; had three children. Married Hulda Coon, of Rush, Jo Daviess Co., Ill., March 8, 1863, who was born in Crawford Co., Ohio, September 24,1837 ; had two children.
[Source: 1877 McHenry County, IL Directory - Submitted by K.T.]




HOME


Copyright © Genealogy Trails