Hon. Charles P. Brandom
Religious Activity in Missouri 1863-1907
His Son, Hon. S. W. Brandom
Charles P. Brandom was born in Rappahannock County, Virginia, September 7, 1834, where he grew to manhood. He attended a subscription school in the winter and worked on the farm during the spring and summer. He was for many years the principal stay and dependence of his enfeebled father, and while a mere boy made regular trips to Fredericksburg and other cities of the Old Dominion, driving four horses to a freight wagon, several days being required to make each trip. In these trips he gained the confidence in himself that was his main dependence through many an effort on his after life. On August 24, 1854, he married Miss Betta C. White of Virginia. He went to Greene County, Ohio, in October, 1855, and remained there until September, 1856, at which time he started to Missouri, and reached Gallatin, Daviess County, on election day, November, 1856. While living on his father’s farm in Lincoln Township in Daviess County, his wife was killed by a bolt of lightning, August 9, 1859. At that time he was in bed, sick with a fever. The bolt of lightning broke every window in the house and tore the bed clothing on the bed he was lying on, and almost shattered the entire house, besides setting the building on fire. His father and mother, who lived only a quarter of a mile away, arrived in time to aid in putting out the fire.
In 1860 he took his only child, a little girl, and went back to Ohio, where his wife’s people then lived. In about another year he returned to Daviess County, Missouri, and resided with his father until July 24, 1862, when he married Miss Lockey McCammon, daughter of Eld. William McCammon of Grundy County; his father-in-law gave him a farm in Grundy County, to which he moved in the spring of 1863, where he resided continuously until he removed to Trenton, in Grundy County, to go into the Farmers and Merchants Bank, after being elected President of that institution. While residing on the farm he served his township (Madison) as Trustee several terms, and in 1877, he was appointed County Judge. Upon the organization of the Farmers and Merchants Bank in 1894, he was elected President, and held that position until that institution, in 1895, merged with the old Union Bank to form a new bank, the Citizens Bank, of which he was the first President, a position he held until his death. For many years he was a trustee of Grand River College, and was President of the Board of Trustees for a number of years, and was the largest contributor to the finances of that school during the years of its great efficiency in Northwest Missouri. After settling on the 160 acre farm that his father-in-law gave him, in 1863, he arose rapidly to a prominent position as a farmer and stock raiser, and added to his real estate holdings until he owned 1,360 acres in Grundy and Daviess Counties. While accumulating wealth at a rapid rate, he was public spirited, and contributed to the institutions that were for the uplift of humanity. In the autumn of 1877, he professed faith in Christ and united with the Union Baptist Church near his home. He was soon ordained as a Deacon. At the time of his death he was a member of the Trenton Baptist Church, for when he moved his residence to Trenton, he also moved his church membership to the First Baptist Church of Trenton, where he lived. After his conversion, which occurred somewhat late in life, he became prominent in church work, attending the annual Association regularly. He died at his beautiful home in Trenton, Missouri, on July 24, 1897, that being the thirty-fifth anniversary of his marriage to his second wife. He left an impression on the people of his county and state that will last for many years. He was verily one of God’s noble men.
[Source: "Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) -- transcribed by Mary Saggio]
BRANSON, JOHN, was born Jan. 12, 1764, in North Carolina. He emigrated, when a young man, to the vicinity of Charleston, S. C, and married Sarah Jones. They had six children in South Carolina, and moved to Ross county, O. From there to the vicinity of Xenia, Green county, Ohio, before the Indians had entirely left. They had five children there. Some of the elder children married and remained in Ohio, but Mr. Branson with the younger members of his family, moved to Sangamon county, Ill, arriving Oct., 1822, in what is now Fancy Creek township. Of all his children —
-- ELI, born in South Carolina, married three times, died, leaving a family in Fulton county. His son, CALVIN, resides near Ipava, Fulton county.
-- ANDREW, born in South Carolina, and married Susannah Wilkinson. They both died, leaving several children near Athens, Illinois.
-- WILLIAM, born Jan. 9, 1791, in North Carolina, and was taken by his parents to South Carolina, in 1793. In 1811 the family moved to Chilicothe, Ohio, where he was married to Sally M. Graves, in 1815. He moved to Indiana, and from there to Sangamon county, Ill., about the time his father came; moved to Galena, and from there to DeWitt county, Ill. They had seven children, and Mrs. Sally M. Branson died May 10, 1840, in DeWitt county. In December, 1840, he was mar ried to Martha Cooper, in Sangamon county. In March, 1847, he moved to Sangamon county, and March 28, 1848, he started overland with his family and arrived Sept. 15, 1848, in Polk county, Oregon. He had eight children by the second marriage. He died Nov. 16, 1860. His widow married Michael Shelley, and died Dec. 24, 1868, near Independence, Polk county, Oregon. Nearly all the descendents of William Branson reside in the vicinity of Sheridan, Yamhill county, Oregon. His son, B. B. BRANSON, Jun., born Sept. 4, 1830, went with his father to Oregon, in 1848, married there, Sept. 15, 1854, to Eliza E. Dickey, who was born Jan. 19, 1834, in Tenn. They have eight living children. Sarah A., born July 3, 1855, married Nov. 6, 1873, to C. O. Burgess, and resides near Sheridan. Josephine, Eliza Jane, Ephriam N., Elnora Sherman, Laura V., Ida M. and Orley R. reside with their parents, near Sheridan, Yamhill county, Oregon.
-- CATHARINE, born in South Carolina, married in Green county, Ohio, to Frederick Stipp. They came to Sangamon county, and two of their daughters reside in Springfield, namely: Mrs. Wood and Mrs. Moody. Mr. and Mrs. Stipp died several years since.
-- KEZIAH, born in South Carolina, married in Green county, Ohio, to Jesse Sutton. They came to Sangamon county in 1823, moved to Iowa, and both died, leaving several children in VanBuren county, Iowa.
-- JOHN, Jun., born Oct. 15, 1795, near Charleston, S. C. He was a teamster from Ohio during the war of 1812, and has a crippled hand from an injury received while on duty. He was married, Sept. 12, 1817, in Clarke county, Ohio, to Ann Cantrall, daughter of Zebulon Cantrall, who was a brother of William G., Levi and Wyatt. Thev had one child, ZEBULON, born June 20, 1818, in Clarke county, Ohio, married August, 1840, in Sangamon county, to Rachel Braugher, and soon after moved to Fulton county, where five children were born, namely: Emily, Caroline, Isaac, Marion and Zebulon, jun. Zebulon Branson enlisted in the 103d Ill. Inf. for three years, in 1862. He was 1st Lieut., and was killed June 27, 1864, while leading his company in a charge on the rebel fortifications at Kennesaw Mountain. His family reside near Ipava, Fulton county. Mrs. Ann Branson died, and John Branson was married, Sept. 12, 1822, in Champaign county, Ohio, to Miriam Thomas. They had five children, namely: THOMAS and CATHATINE, twins, born Dec. 1, 1823; THOMAS married, Feb. 4, 1847, to Eliza C. Kiger, who was born March 13, 1830, in Winchester, Va. They had three children. Maria T. died, aged ten years. Catharine W., born May 25, 1850, married March 25, 1869, to Thomas Neal. They had three children, namely: Charles N., died in infancy; Thomas- and Coke reside with their parents, in Mitchel county, near Cawker City, Kansas. CHARLES, born March 11, 1852, resides with his mother. Thomas Branson died March 5, 1864, and his widow resides eight miles northwest of Springfield. CATHARINE, the other twin, married Rev. Hardin Wallace. They have two children, namely: Mrs. E. M. Sharp, of Mason City, Ill., and Mrs. Carlton Gatton, of Middletown, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Wallace reside at Bath, Mason county, Ill. CAROLINE married Giles Woods. They have seven children, and reside near Waverly. MARIA married Samuel C. Woods. They have one child living, and Mrs. W. died, August 20, 1875. Mr. Woods resides near Waverly. EMILY married Rev. Joseph H. Hopkins. They had one child, and mother and child died in 1848, at Whitehall, Ill. Mrs. Miriam Branson died, and John Branson married, Nov. 8, 1840, to Mrs. Mary Humphreys, whose maiden name was McKinnie. They had two children. MINNIE married George P. Brahm. They had one son Claude, and Mrs. B. died, May 17, 1872. Mr. Brahm, with his son, resides at Kinney, Logan county, Ill. JOHN L. enlisted in 1862, for three years, in the 13th Ill. Inf. Served about one year, and was discharged on account of physical disability. He married Nellie Cain. John Branson and wife reside one and a half miles northwest of Salisbury. He is in his eighty-first year.
-- THOMAS, born Feb., 1798, in South Carolina, was married Aug. 12, 1829, in Clark county, O., to Eleanor Thomas, and came to Sangamon county with his father in 1822. They had three children, and Mrs. B, died in Sangamon county Jan 24, 1840. Thomas Branson married Louisa Cole. They had five children, and in 1857 moved to Texas. Of Mr. B.'s children by the first marriage, ADALINE, born Oct. 9, 1833, was married Oct. 3, 1849, to W. S. Dunham, of Waynesville, DeWitt county, Ill., where she died May 29, 1852. ALIDA, born Sept. 21, 1837, in Sangamon county, Ill., is unmarried, and resides in Mansfield, Texas. REBECCA, born Nov. 30, 1839, in Sangamon county, married Lieut. Frank King, U. S. A., in Dallas county, Texas, Oct. 14, 1862. Lieut. King was killed in Louisiana, May 8, 1864. Mrs. King was married Nov. 2, 1865, to Rev. D. D. Leech, in Dallas county, Texas, and she died Aug. 23, 1866, in Ellis coun ty, Texas, leaving one child, Frank K., born Aug. 22, 1866, in Ellis county, and resides with his aunt Alida, in Tarrant county, Texas.
-- Of the children of the second marriage, ELEANOR, born March 10, 1842, was married Dec. 24, 1862, to Samuel Uhl, of the 12th Texan Dragoons. They have five children, viz: Sue E., Addie C, Louisa, Charles and Alma, and reside in Dallas county, Texas. EMILY, born May 21, 1844, in Sangamon county, married April 10, 1867, to Thomas Uhl, in Dallas coun ty, Texas. They have one child, William S., and reside in Dallas county. THOMAS C, born April 27, 1848, in Sangamon county, Ill., was married July I, 1875, to Virginia Hill, in Dallas county, where they now reside. BENJAMIN L., born Oct. 7, 1850, in Sangamon coun ty, is unmarried, and resides in Lancaster, Dallas county, Texas. AUGUSTA, born June 13, 1853, in Sangamon county, married Aug. 24, 1873, to F. Fox, and resides in Slate Spring, Miss. Thomas Branson died Oct. 21, 1864, and Mrs. Louisa Branson died July 5, 1865, both near Lancaster, Dallas county, Texas.
-- MARY, born in Green county, O., married in Sangamon county, Ill., Sept. 23, 1824, to Abraham Onstott. They have five children. Mrs. Onstott died June, 1875. The family reside in Clinton, DeWitt county.
-- REBECCA, born in Ohio, married Elijah Harper, and died, leaving several children in Clark county O.
-- BENJAMIN B., born Feb., 1810, in Ross county, O., married in Mechanicsburg, Sangamon county, Ill., May, 1837, to Mary Thompson. They have two children, viz: -- HENRIETTA, born Aug. 27, 1839, on Fancy creek, Sangamon county, married in Mechanicsburg, Aug. 27, 1861, to A. G. Barnes. See his name. HENRY, born Dec. 2, 1842, on Fancy creek, married June, 1867, in Jacksonville, Ill., to Clara L. Lathrop. They have two children, and reside at Ottawa, Kan. Benj. B. Branson and wife reside in Jacksonville, Ill.
-- NANCY, born June 4, 1806, in Ohio, married in Sangamon county to Dr. Charles Winn, who was born Aug. 13, 1800, in Virginia. He received his medical education at Transylvania University, Lexington, Ky. He came to Sangamon county and practiced his profession on Fancy creek ; moved from there to Waynesville, Ill., and from there to Springfield, O. They had seven children. CORILLA died Nov. 8, 1855, aged twenty-five years. BYRON died March 16, 1854, at McKendree College, in his twenty-first year. RICHARD D. died in St. Joseph, Mo., March 15, 1872, in his thirty-eighth year. CHARLES L., born Nov. 11, 1838, married July 22, 1859, in Jackson county, Mo., and died, leaving a widow and two children in Kansas City. ROBERT B., born July 11, 1840, resides in Chicago. EMMA H., born Dec. 29, 1842, near Springfield, O., married in Sangamon county to A. G. Pickrell. See his name. FLORENCE M., born June 12, 1846, near Springfield, O., married Wilham T. Hall. See his name. Dr. Charles L. Winn died Aug. 17, 1847, near Springfield, O., and Mrs. Nancy Winn died Nov. 4, 1852, at Columbus, Adams county, Ill.
-- Mrs. Sarah Branson died in Ohio, and her husband, John Branson, Sen., died in 1845, in Sangamon county, Ill., aged eighty-one years.
[Source: “History of the Early Settlers of Sangamon County, Illinois: “ Centennial record; By John Carroll Power, Sarah A. Power, Old Settlers' Society of Sangamon County (Ill.); 1876; Transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]
Harry Trevor Drake
Harry Trevor Drake, St Paul. Res 435 Portland av, office 201 Drake blk. Insurance. Born Oct 27, 1857 in Xenia O, son of Hon Elias Franklin and Caroline Matilda (McClurg) Drake. Graduated at St Paul High School and afterwards attended the Univ of Rochester N Y. Engaged in business in 1882 and is now pres Nat Live Stock Ins Co; Franklin Investment Co; Drake Co; Clovis Fruit Co; dir St Paul Fire and Marine Ins Co and sec and treas Drake Realty Co. Is largely interested in fruit ranches in Fresno Cal and the shipment of green fruit to the East. Member Minnesota, and White Bear Yacht clubs. [Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
C. C. Frazer
C. C. Frazer, deputy income tax collector for Wyoming; stockraiser; (Dem.); b. Nov. 27, 1859, Spring Valley, Ohio; s. of William and Belle (Alexander) Frazer; educ. pub. schls. Wilmington, Ohio; student Wilmington (Ohio) college, 1875-8; located in Colorado, 1881, and engaged in stock business with headquarters in Fort Collins, 1881-6; located in Laramie, Wyoming, 1886, and conducted a livery business and engaged in stock raising until 1896; actively interested in stock business until 1914; sheriff Albany county, Wyo., 1895-7 and 1899-1901; assessor, Albany county, 1907-9; appointed deputy income tax collector for Wyoming, with headquarters in Laramie, for term, 1914-18; mem. Laramie lodge No. 582, Elks. Address: Laramie, Wyo. [Source: Men of Wyoming, Publ 1915. Transcribed by Denise Moreau]
HARTWELL, Arthur; born, ( Greene Co), Ohio, Jan. 24, 1865 son of Jonathan W. and Virginia (Howell) Hartwell; graduate, degrees of M.E. and E.E. Ohio State University, 1888; married at Columbus, O., Sept. 27, 1892, Allice M. Moody. Began active career in employ of Columbus Gas Co.; became connected with the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Co., 1889 and was made manager of sales department; resigned, 1904 and acquired interest in the Sterling Varnish Co., of which was general manager; assisted in organizing the Detroit Insulated Wire Co. 1906. Member American Institute Electrical Engineers, Phi Kappa Psi (Ohio State University), Detroit Board of Commerce. Club: Detroit, Engineers' (New York City). Office: Detroit Insulated Wire Co. Residence: 29 Baline Av.
[Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis, 1908 - transcribed by Christine Walters]
George W. Littler
GEORGE W. LITTLER is a native of Greene County, Ohio, where he was born July 13, 1834, his parents, Robinson and Catherine (Wilkerson) Littler, being Virginians by birth. George W. was brought up on a farm and for a while attended the common schools; however, the greater part of his education has been obtained since arriving at maturity and by his own energy and self-application. In 1876 he moved to Darke County, Ohio, where he resided for three years, then coming to Atchison County, Missouri, in 1879. He then settled on his place in section 1, and is now in possession of a fine farm of 320 acres, all under cultivation, with a good residence, barn, granary, etc. An orchard which adorns the place contains 150 apple and fifty peach trees, besides cherry, pear and plum trees. February 28, 1860, the marriage of Mr. Littler to Miss Mary J., the daughter of James Stillings, occurred in Greene County, Ohio. She was born in Clinton County, Ohio, January 28, 1835. They have six children living: Algernon W., born January 2, 1861; Rosa A., born April 14, 1862; David R., born February 3, 1864; James S., born October 28, 1865; Mary Ella, born December 4, 1869, and Josie May, born January 28, 1876. Three are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Littler are members of the Methodist Church. In his political views Mr. Littler is Republican. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by K. Mohler]
Horace Mann was born in Franklin, a seacoast town in Massachusetts, on May 4, 1796, when the United States was but twenty years old. The town was named for Dr. Benjamin Franklin, who, it is said, intended to acknowledge the compliment by the gift of a church bell. But, on reflection, as he put it, "from what I have learned of the character of the people, I think they would prefer sense to sound." he gave the new town a library. Those little "town," "ladies," "social," and "ministers" libraries, located in the center of these New England towns, explain a great deal in the life of their foremost men and women in the first half century of the nation Like so many another boy, hungry and thirsty for knowledge, young Horace read the town library through, and declared: "Had I the power, I would scatter libraries over the whole land, as the sower sows his wheat field."
Until the age of fifteen young Horace "had not a happy childhood." The family was on short rations, and the boy says of himself. "I believe in the rugged nursery of toil, but she nursed me too much." In winter he was shut indoors, braiding straw, by which he bought his own school books, and in summer was turned out to severe work on the farm. He wrote, later in life, "Train your children to work, but not too hard; and unless they are grossly lethargic, let them sleep as much as they will." But he did learn to work so that industry became a second nature. Until fifteen he had only from eight to ten weeks a year of the district schooling of the town and it was a meager diet to which his hungry and thirsty soul was invited. If the secret of education is, as he declared, "the love of knowledge, not the love of books," he was indeed compelled to live on hard mental fare. The only schools he knew were a perpetual grind of memorizing schoolbooks that were often apparently written to conceal rather than to reveal the secrets even of the elementary "three R's." There was no attempt at oral teaching; even an intelligent explanation was often above the capacity of the village pedagogue. The discipline was the logical outcome of the preaching in the church; both a fair representative of the belief of the influential majority. "Sitting still," with an almost impossible obedience to the arbitrary will of the schoolmaster or mistress, and a correct verbatim recitation from a dry and dusty schoolbook, was the order of the day. Drawing, now a compulsory study in every common school in Massachusetts was a forbidden amusement; generally discouraged by a smart rap on the knuckles of the budding artist, who had his revenge through that marvelous implement, the boy's jack-knife, which left its imprint on every schoolroom bench till the temple of knowledge seemed almost in peril of being whittled out of existence; while every board fence, barn side, and granite bowlder was decorated by an uncouth and often indecent protest against the schoolroom tyranny.
It needed a mighty intensity of purpose behind a native longing for knowledge to carry such a sensitive, ambitious, and conscientious boy unharmed through the perilous years from five to fifteen. But he went through and came out unscathed. At fifteen he says of himself, "I would as soon stick a pin in my flesh as through the pages of a book." There was no "dog-earing" or scribbling on the fly leaves of the few books he had earned by his winter's straw-braiding and summer toil. His reverence for knowledge was like a religion. "I urged on a young lady who had studied Latin as a sort of goddess." He came up in an era of coarse animal indulgence, neither drinking strong liquors, swearing, nor using tobacco. His "boyish castles in the air had reference to doing something for the benefit of mankind."
Horace Mann was to the last a Puritan of the Puritans; as he declares, "a man with a liberal creed and Calvinistic nerves." Like the majority of bright boys and girls of the day, he became a schoolmaster in the district school, where he taught several years before entering college and during his college vacations. He "fitted" for Brown University, in six months, under a Mr. Barrett, apparently his first real teacher, and entered Brown as sophomore at the age of twenty.
But his new Jordan was a weary road. His poverty was extreme. He writes to his sister, "A long time since, my last sixpence bade farewell to its brethren." But he studied and got at money by all the ways best known to the struggling student of eighty years ago. He writes to the favorite sister, "In your next letter put in some sentences of mother's, just as she spoke them. Let her say something to me, even if it be a repetition of those old yarns - I mean if it be a repetition of the good, motherly advice and direction, all about good character and proper behavior and straightforward, narrow path conduct, such as young Timothy's in the primer."
After graduation he spent a while in Brown University as tutor in Latin and Greek, and thence went at the age of twenty-five to the law school at Litchfield, Connecticut. From this school he passed on to a law office in Dedham, Massachusetts, was admitted to the bar and began the practice of his profession in that town.
Living in Dedham for ten and in Boston for fourteen years, until the age of forty-one, Horace Mann was known as a successful and very able young lawyer and a rising politician. His exacting and almost fastidious sense of justice kept him aloof from any law case that did not commend itself to his conscience, and in consequence he won four of every five he undertook.
His unique faculty of public speech rapidly developed. In his argument in court he always "endeavored to give each member of the jury something that could be quoted on his side in consultation." Few of our most effective American public speakers have achieved his remarkable power of condensing the gist of an argument, or compressing the central idea of a theme into one epigrammatic sentence. And although this faculty of brilliant, epigrammatic sentence making is doubtless, as in Lord Macaulay, a literary defect, yet it stood the great educator well in hand while, for twenty-two years, he faced all comers, hurling at his throng of opponents his tremendous sentences, each like an explosive shell cast into the heart of a hostile camp.
In 1824 he attracted the attention of John Quincy Adams, then in the full splendor of his latter-day service in the House of Representatives in Congress, by a Fourth of July oration at Dedham. In 1827, at the age of thirty-one, he was elected from Dedham to the legislature of the State. For the next ten years he was greatly absorbed by his political duties.
He removed to Boston in 1833, at the age of thirty-seven; lived, slept, and ate, in his law office, toiling sixteen hours a day. This prodigious strain upon all the functions of life for twenty years had already broken the spring of a physical constitution of wonderful tenacity, and at the age of forty-one he seemed on the point of a final collapse of health. All this time he was laying up treasure in heaven through the friendship of a group of men every one of whom became in his own way a marked character in national affairs.
Charles Sumner was just emerging from his somewhat protracted lingering in the delights of scholarship and foreign travel into the great service in the cause of freedom that ended only with the close of the civil war. Jonathan Phillips, Edmund Dwight, and George Darrow were fine types of the eminent citizenship in which the New England cities have always been so rich - men of affairs who make leisure days and nights for the building of a city which shall be "set on a hill and not be hid." Of a lecture by Ralph Waldo Emerson he wrote, "It was to human life what Newton 's Principia was to mathematics," although Dr. Walter Channing, who sat by his side, said it made his head ache. But, apart from the admiration and reverence for superiority everywhere, which is one of the most certain tests of genius, it is hardly possible that Horace Mann could ever have deeply sympathized with the new transcendental philosophy then in favor with a large section of the cultivated class of Boston, contemporary with the great revival for popular education and liberal thinking in religion of which Mann and Channing were the leaders. But the time had come when it was somewhat of a problem what to do with Horace Mann: his relentless habit of forcing every man up to a moral standard; a moral policeman bringing the face of every prisoner under the glare of an electric light; his inveterate habit of taking no thought for his life, so that the cause then on his mind had free course to run and be glorified; his terrific power of public speech joined with a singular magnetism for a large class of influential men; all marked him as one who in public affairs would be an unmanageable factor, not to be put aside.
His place was found when on July 1, 1837, Horace Mann assumed the duties of the board of education of Massachusetts and began a career of twenty-two years, memorable in the history of a State and nation. Here were a character and career which have never been quite appreciated and never sufficiently honored by those who, by their position and culture, would be expected to hail his coming as "a man of God sent from heaven."
It may be thought a strange thing that this man, to whom apparently lay open the most flattering prospect of a public and professional career should have turned his back upon them and gone to this untried and doubtful position. The task seemed incomparably great. The salary was but fifteen hundred dollars, and no clerical aid, but the man shines forth in: "I have a faith strong as prophecy, that much may be done."
He mentions with apparent surprise that, "with the execution of Dr. Channing, every man inquired about the salary and the honor of the station." The new movement of which he was the head had been born in a manger; there was no room for it in the inn. The old Bulfinch statehouse had no corner where the greatest educational statesmen of America could be given a chair and desk. He had a modest office on Tremont street, not far from the old burying grounds where lay the bones of the fathers of the Commonwealth, and there he lived and worked like a dray horse until his second marriage gave him a home.
His first official month was passed in a country retreat with a pile of books, thinking out a way to begin. Searching the records he noticed that the educational movement proceeded from the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Of the Plymouth colonists: "Schools seem to have occupied very little of their attention."
The fact is that the New England idea of education, from Harvard College down to the district school, was of purely British origin; it was the attempt of the most intelligent section of the British Liberal party in church and state to plant in the vigorous soil of a new world the university and free school from which they had drawn their own inspiration at home with an extension of the opportunity to spread the feast of knowledge before the entire people of the colony. The fighting property of the new secretary, which to the end was the breath of his life, appears at once. "I will avail myself of the opportunity to recommend some improvements and generally to apply a flesh brush to the hacks of the people."
[Of Horace Mann's service as Secretary of the Massachusetts Board of Education and those wonderful annual reports, and his somewhat stormy career as representative in Congress nothing can be given here]
On April 15, 1852 the crisis came. Mr. Mann was nominated by the Tree Democracy" of Massachusetts for governor of the State. He received the offer of the presidency of Antioch College, Ohio, on the same day. He accepted the latter office without hesitation. This decision finished his political career. For the coming years of his life he was plunged heart and soul in his crowning work, which may well be styled the revival of the Western American college.
That he accepted the offer of the presidency of what was then a new Western college with joy and found in its contemplation a new lease of life can not be doubted.
There was much to attract Mr. Mann to this new field of labor in the West Antioch College was established by the religious denomination of Christians, then a numerous and growing body, especially in the region commanded by this its first institution of the higher learning. Yellow Springs, Clark County, Ohio, was then a rural hamlet, clustered about a well-known summer resort, in a beautiful and fertile quadrilateral, inclosed by the Ohio, the Miamis, and the Mad River, 60 miles north of Cincinnati, between the present flourishing cities of Springfield and Xenia. It seemed almost an ideal situation for the college, which its new president beheld in vision as he set his face toward "the great West." The institution was situated almost in the center of the most densely populated portion of the three Western States - Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky - and perhaps more central to the constituency he hoped to attract than any locality beyond the Alleghanies. Good living was very cheap, the climate genial, the natural conformation of the country attractive by its scientific interest to the geologist and the botanist, easily accessible to the city of Cincinnati, still, in 1853, the center of culture in the vase region beyond the mountains.
It had been decided that the college should be co-educational and with not distinction of race, in these respects perhaps the only considerable foundation of the higher education in the West, save Oberlin, Ohio, which had taken that position. It had also "broken the record" as the first of the important Western denominational colleges that had elected a layman to the office of president. It had "struck twelve" by inviting the foremost common school educator in America, despite his political entanglements, to what must necessarily be very largely the personal administration of a new experiment, and he had been permitted to bring several teachers of his own selection and to inaugurate his own method of college instruction and discipline.
The present system of free high schools was then hardly established in the West out of the cities, and the majority of the academies and colleges of all these States of the North and Southwest were strictly sectarian and generally in no respect of high reputation. The rising University of Michigan was the only State university in the Northwest that had attracted the attention of the educational East. Never before or since has there been a more interesting opportunity to establish a college of the higher grade of scholarship, free from all the trammels and tradition that still bound the higher education of the original thirteen states in allegiance to the old British ideals.
All this Mr. Mann appreciated. His twelve years of service in the revival of the common school in New England had trained him in the advanced ideas and policy of the elementary, secondary, and normal school. His four years of service at Washington had made him thoroughly acquainted with the progressive and energetic spirit of the Northwest and its desire for a higher and broader type of college and university life than had hitherto prevailed. He was always unmindful of pecuniary reward, though always ridden by an almost fanatical sense of public and private pecuniary obligation. He probably was not sufficiently informed of the fact that the obstacles to such an enterprise as that in which he was now embarked were necessarily greater in the new than in the older section of the Union. He went forth to the closing five years of his glorious career, which, despite all the disasters and discouraging features in the material welfare of Antioch, was perhaps as memorable in its relations to the system of the higher education in the West as his earlier and more public work to the common school in New England.
He found the progressive people of the West and Southwest ready to welcome him to the leadership in the revival of the higher education in the states tributary to Antioch. He was inaugurated as president in October, 1853. His inaugural address, of which Thomas Starr wrote him from Boston, "There is vitality enough in your inaugural to make a college thrive in Sodom," was delivered to an enthusiastic open-air assembly of three thousand people. Standing on the front steps of the main college building, the already venerable president received a gift of three Bibles for the use of the different departments, and in reply set forth in eloquent and significant words the idea of the founders of the institution, on which hinges the entire history of the higher Christian education in the Republic.
His original plan included a thorough department of pedagogics for the training of teachers, the preparatory classes being utilized as a general practice school. This arrangement would have placed Ohio at the head of the West in this great reform. More than one thousand young people applied for admittance during the first year, represented all the Western and Southwestern States, with a strong contingent that had followed him from the Central States of New England.
But from the first the new college bore within itself the seeds of financial ruin. Like so many of the new schools of the Western and even the older Middle States at this period, it had been established on the financial "delusion and snare," a numerous body of holders of "scholarships," each of whom had a vote in the election of trustees.
This is not the place to rehearse the melancholy history of Antioch College during the few years of the presidency of Horace Mann, notably the years when it stood up beyond the Alleghanies as an object lesson in the revival of the higher education. Suffice to say that, after herculean efforts, the president for more than a year receiving no salary, the impending failure came upon it in 18.57. This crisis was "tided over" until 1859. A new board of trustees was chosen, undenominational in its character, though with a generous recognition of the original Christian constituency. Mr. Mann was re-elected president, and, had his life been spared, the prodigious educational success of Antioch College would for the first time have enjoyed the solid foundation of a reliable financial establishment. --- A. D. Mayo ---
[Source: "Educational History of Ohio" by James J. Burns. Published 1905 - Submitted by Linda Rodriguez]
Samuel W. McCoy
S. W. McCOY, Attorney, was born in 1813, in Greene County, O., son of John an Ann Wade McCoy, was married in 1835 to Miss Charlotte Pollock, daughter of Robert and Mary Pollock, has two children, Mary A. and John W., wife died in 1839; was married in 1848 to Miss Anna Stewart. She died, 1870; was married in 1874 to Mrs. Lucinda Galloway Mounts, daughter of James and Nancy Galloway. She had one child by former marriage, James F. which has been adopted by Mr. McCoy. Came to Kansas in 1873, located at Wichita, engaged in practice of law. In 1874 was burned out losing his entire library, clothing etc. He then moved to El Paso, and has been engaged in farming and the practice of law from that time. He was educated in Greene County, O., commenced reading the law in 1846, was admitted to practice in 1856, has been Justice of the Peace in El Paso for two years, is member of the School Board, and Treasurer of the school district, is Notary Public, was deputy Provost Marshal during the late war, made the enrollment of five townships in Mercer County, Ill., is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. Took the census in Greene County, O., in 1856.
[Source: William G. Cutler's "History of the State of Kansas" Sedgwick, County, Kansas was first published in 1883, (Buried in El Paso Cemetery, Derby, Sedgwick County, Kansas - Submited by Kyle M. Condon]
William Mussetter is a venerable and respected citizen of Caesars Creek township. He was born in Berkeley county, West Virginia, on the 18th of May, 1821, and has therefore passed the eighty-first mile-stone on life's journey. His parents were John and Anna Mussetter. The father was of German descent and the mother of French lineage, and were natives of Maryland, in which state they were reared and married. Subsequently they removed to Berkeley County, Wet Virginia, and thence to Clinton county, Ohio, making their home in the village of Lumberton, where they spent their remaining days. The year of their removal was 1837 and the journey was accoumplished by team. In their family were seventeen children, five sons and twelve daughters. One of the number died in youth, but the other sixteen reached years of maturity and fourteen of the number were married. Five of the family are yet living, three of them being residents of Clinton Countyk while the one is in Kansas, and another, William Mussetter of this review, is a valued resident of Greene county. The father died in 1847 but his wife survived him for many years and at the time of her demise was almost ninety years of age.
William Mussetter pursued his education in Virginia and remained with his father until the latter's death, after which he continued to live with his mother and her family for eighteen months after his marriage. That important event in his life occurred on the 11th of October, 1848, the lady of his choice being Miss Virginia Haughey, who was born in Jefferson township, Greene county, on the 1st of February, 1829. She is a daughter of Andrew M. and Ann (January) Haughey. Her grandfather, Thomas Haughey, came to Greene county from Virginia at an early day and here Andrew M. Haughey spent many years of his life, dying in Bowersville. After residing for eighteen months in Clinton county, Ohio, Mr. Mussetter removed with his young wife to Greene county, settling in Xenia township, on the Jasper pike, where he rented a farm, which he cultivated for ten years. In the spring of 1860 he removed to his present home, which purchased about that time, becoming the owner of one hundred and fifty-four acres, to which he has since added a tract of fifty acres, so that he now has a large and valuable farm. The buildings upon the place have all been erected by him and are substantial structures standing in evidence of his thrift and enterprise.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Mussetter have been born ten children, of whom eight are yet living. Amelia Ann is the wife of William Middleton, of Caesars Creek township. Clarissa is the wife of William Murphy, of the same township. Emily Jane is the wife of Isaac Wolf, of Xenia township, and they have five children,--Joseph, Lewis, Paul, Walter and Basil. The fourth member of the family of William Mussetter is Basil, who wedded Mary Pickern and resides in California. They have four children,--Raymond, LeRoy, Ann and an infant. Josephine is the wife of Charles Pearson, of Florida, and they have five children,--Edna, Frank, Ralph, Forest and Eunice. Joseph married Sally Swope, and is living in Wilmington, Ohio, with his wife and two children, Viola and William. Ida May is the wife of Chester Ballard, a resident of Washington D. C., and their children are Joseph O.; Edith; Fe; Guy; Chester and Susan, twins. William E. married Maude Hite, a daughter of William Hite, and they have three children, Mary, Clara, and Clarence. He is living with his father upon the home farm and now has the management of the property, carrying on general farming and stock-raising.
Mr. Mussetter is a well-to-do man and has made his own way in the world, starting out in life with nothing to aid hime but a strong heart and willing hands. He deserves all the success that he has won and today is the owner of a very comfortable competence. He is highly respected by all who know him, and his enterprise in business and loyalty in citizenship have made him a valued resident of the community. [Source: George F. Robinson, "History of Greene County Ohio" (Chicago, S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1902) 897-898; transcribed by Michelle Blair-Whitt]
HARVEY QUINN was born in Xenia, Ohio, September 5, 1829, and was the son of John Quinn, a native of Louisville, Kentucky, and Rachel Quinn, nee Nash, who was born in Pennsylvania. In 1831 they moved to Warren County, Illinois, where Harvey was raised on a farm, and attended the common schools. In 1856 he went to Butler County, Iowa, and was there engaged in farming for two years, after which he embarked in the hotel business in Applington in 1859. This he continued until the 15th of August, 1861, when he enlisted in the Dubuque Light Artillery, which was attached to the Ninth Iowa Infantry. He remained in service for something over four years, and was in several important engagements, among which were the battles of Pea Ridge, Helena, Little Rock, Arkansas Post, Pleasant Hill and several minor skirmishes. After the war, he returned to Iowa in October, 1865. Mr. Quinn was married March 28, 1866, in Butler County, Iowa, to Miss Amanda M. Bisbee, daughter of Elisha and Mary Bisbee. She was born in the State of New York, September 3, 1836. Mr. Quinn resided in Butler County, engaged in farming until 1870, when he came to Atchison County, Missouri, in the fall of that year, settling in Dale Township, on his present place. He has a valuable farm of 205 acres, improved, with fair buildings, etc., and a bearing orchard of 150 apple and 100 peach trees, besides other fruit. Mr. and Mrs. Quinn have had three children, only one of whom is living: John Arthur Lee, born May 25, 1874. Mrs. Q. is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and he of the Christian Church. In politics he is a staunch Republican. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by K. Mohler]
George J. Smith
George J. Smith, of Gunnison County, (CO) is in more than one sense a pioneer in Colorado and comes of a family of pioneers. He was an early settler in the state, coming here in 1880, and he was the first man in the neighborhood of his present home, or, indeed, in this part of the state, to demonstrate that vegetables could be successfully raised at the altitude of his present home, carrying on there for fifteen years a prosperous vegetable garden industry. Mr. Smith was born in Greene County, Ohio, on October 30, 1843, and reared in the adjoining county of Clark. He is the son of Levi and Emily (Johnson) Smith, the former born near Winchester, Virginia, and the latter in Clark County, Ohio. The families of both were early pioneers in Ohio, and the father died there in 1845, the mother surviving him many years. In the fall of 1856, she, with her son, George, and two daughters, moved to Iowa, locating in Louisa County, where they were pioneers. The son was then about thirteen years old. He received a common-school education, and in 1865 became a pioneer of Madison County in the same state. Later he was among the early residents of other counties in the state, helping to build the first store at Kellogg in Jasper County, and renting the first post office box after the office was established at Dexter, in Dallas County. He farmed in that vicinity for a number of years, improving and selling farms to good advantage. In 1878 he moved to Nebraska, and after working at his trade as a carpenter about two years, he came to Colorado, in March, 1880, and the following year, crossed the range to the Western slope in a wagon, accompanied by his family. He lived two years in the vicinity of Tincup and put up the first frame store building at that place. In 1883 he took up the ranch on which he now lives, on the Gunnison River, seven miles northeast of Gunnison, securing it through a pre-emption claim. It comprises one hundred and sixty acres and when he took possession of it, it was all the raw land, virgin to the plow and without the suggestion of a human habitation. He has improved it with good buildings and other structures needed for its purposes and brought it to an advanced stage of cultivation and productiveness. For fifteen years after getting a start here he carried on market gardening on a large scale, being the first man in the region to raise vegetables, it having been previously supposed that the altitude was too great for vegetables. The ranch is now devoted principally to raising hay and stock in which he is extensively engaged. He has been a leading man in the section and is highly esteemed as a far-seeing and enterprising citizen. In political faith he is a pronounced Republican in national affairs, but is bound strictly by party ties in local matters, considering always the best interests of the county rather than the behest of any political organization. In 1870 he was married to Miss Sarah A. Shuck, a native of Ohio. They have had seven children. Three died in infancy and Emma H., wife of Jasper Tidd, of Shelton, Washington, Elbert E., May, wife of Lee Lehman, of Gunnison County, and Glenn G. are living. [Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Tr. By Joanne Scobee Morgan]