Hamilton County Ohio
Genealogy and History
- M -
Nicholas T. Marshall
Marshall, Nicholas T., Cincinnati, O., , ae. -, a well-known physician and able professor in the Medical College of Ohio. [Source: "Annual Obituary Notices of Eminent Persons who have died in the United States for 1858" by Hon. Nathan Crosby; John P. Jewett and Co., pub. 1859.]
Hon. Stanley Matthews
HON. STANLEY MATTHEWS, justice of the Supreme court of the United States, is a native Cincinnatian, born July 21, 1824, son of Thomas J. and Isabella (Brown) Matthews. His father was a native of Leesburgh, Virginia; his mother a daughter of Colonel William Brown, a well-known pioneer of the Miami country. She was a second wife, and Stanley was the first-born of this marriage. While he was yet an infant, the elder Matthews received an appointment as professor of mathematics in the Transylvania University, at Lexington, Kentucky, and removed thither, where he was also engaged as a civil engineer in some of the early rail way enterprises of that State. In 1832 he was chosen a professor in the Woodward high school, and returned to Cincinnati Young Matthews, although now but in his ninth year, became a pupil in the school, and remained an assiduous student there until 1839, when he matriculated as a junior in Kenyon college, from which he was graduated, after a single year's study, in August, 1840, when only seventeen years old. He began a course of law study in Cincinnati soon after, but in 1842 went to Spring Hill, Maury county, Tennessee, where he resided in the family school of the Rev. John Hudson, a Presbyterian clergyman, which was known as the Union seminary, in whose management and instruction he assisted. Here he was united in marriage to Miss Mary, daughter of James Black, of the same county. While in this State he was admitted to practice at the bar and opened an office at Columbia, on the Duck river. He also engaged in political and general editorial writing for a weekly newspaper in that place called the Tennessee Democrat, his opinions then being in accordance with those indicated by its title. He remained in Columbia but a short time, however, returning to his native city in 1844. He was there again the next year admitted to practice, and formed a partnership with Samuel B. Keys and Mr. Isaac C. Collins, he, although as yet scarcely of age, becoming the head of the firm of Matthews, Keys & Collins. He was soon, through the influence of Judge W. B. Caldwell, then on the bench, appointed assistant prosecuting attorney for a single term of court, which proved a somewhat important stepping stone in his early advancement. He had become thoroughly converted to the principles and policy of the anti-slavery agitation through the writings of Dr. Gamaliel Bailey, who was then conducting the Cincinnati Daily Herald, and when Dr. Bailey went to Washington to establish the Motional Era in 1846, Mr. Matthews succeeded to the editorial management of the Herald, remaining in charge until the winter of 1848-9. His journalistic career had naturally given him some influence and prominence in politics, and at the legislative session of that winter- the same at which Governor Salmon P. Chase was elected United States Senator-he was chosen clerk to the House of Representatives. In 1850 he returned to the practice of his profession in the Queen City, and the next year, while still less than thirty years old, was elected a judge of the court of common pleas. This position he resigned on the first of January, 1853, from inadequacy of salary, and joined his former preceptor at the law in the formation of the firm of Worthington & Matthews, which partnership lasted about eight years. At the fall election of 1855 he was elected to the State senate, and served through his two-years term. In 1858 he was appointed by President Buchanan United States attorney for the southern district of Ohio, but resigned soon after the accession of President Lincoln. To the outbreak of the war of the Rebellion he had been a consistent Democrat, with anti-slavery convictions; but thereafter identified himself with the Republican party, in whose faith he has since steadily reposed. Soon after the great conflict began he tendered his services to the Government through Governor Dennison, and was by him appointed lieutenant colonel of the Twenty-third regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, the same notable command of which W. S. Rosecrans was colonel and Rutherford B. Hayes major. The regiment was then equipping and drilling at Camp Chase, but soon took the field in western Virginia. Lieutenant Colonel Matthews remained with it through the summer and fall campaign of 1861, and in October was promoted to a full colonelcy, and assigned to the Fifty-first Ohio infantry. With this he reported to General Buell at Louisville, and served under him and other commanders of the Army of the Cumberland until April, 1863, when, while absent in the field, he was elected by his fellow-citizens at home a judge of the supreme court of Cincinnati, and resigned his commission to accept this distinguished office. This he also resigned about a year thereafter, for the same cause which induced him to leave the bench of the common pleas. While in the Superior court, his colleagues were the eminent Judges Storer and Hoadly. Judge Matthews now remained a private practitioner, in large and lucrative business, until the summer of 1876, when he was nominated for Congress, but defeated at the fall election by a very small majority. This, it was confidently believed, had been obtained by fraud, and he served notice of contest upon his competitor, General Henry B. Banning. Greater things were in store for him, however, than success in a contest for a seat in the lower house of Congress. Upon the appointment of Senator John Sherman to the Secretaryship of the Treasury, in the cabinet of President Hayes, Judge Matthews was triumphantly elected to his seat in the United States Senate, General Garfield and other prominent gentlemen in the canvass withdrawing in his favor. Meanwhile, however, in February, 1877, Judge Matthews was called to make one of his most noteworthy public appearances, either professionally or politically, as counsel for President-elect Hayes, before the electoral commission, in session at Washington, to determine the questions raised by the election of the preceding year and the meetings of the electoral college. His argument on this occasion was one of the most masterly submitted to the commission, and justly added to the fame of its author.
At the expiration of his senatorial term, the Democrats having returned to power in the State Legislature and chosen the Hon. George H. Pendleton as his successor, he returned to private life, from which he was again summoned in the early part of 1881, by an appointment, first by President Hayes and then by President Garfield, to a place upon the Federal Supreme Bench. After some delay, caused mainly by the memorable dead lock in the United States Senate in the spring of that year, he was confirmed, and took his seat among his peers as a worthy representative of the first lawyers of the land. In his own State, it is needless to say, Justice Matthews has long shone as a luminary of the first magnitude at the bar, as well as in political and social life. For logical power, profound and varied learning, rare abilities of argument and persuasion, and high personal character, his has for more than a generation been clarum et venerabih nomen. A Presbyterian in his faith and denominational connection, he has upon occasions been eminently serviceable to the church and the country, as when, at the general assembly of 1864, in session at Newark, New Jersey, he wrote, presented, and secured the adoption of a committee report, with appended resolutions, which placed the Presbyterian church of the north squarely upon the platform of emancipation. The Queen City is justly proud of his character, his record, his name and fame.
Justice Matthews has had ten children, of whom but five survive-William Mortimer, Jeanie, Eva, Grace, and Paul Matthews. [Source: "History of Cincinnati, Ohio: with illustrations and biographical sketches",compiled by Henry A. Ford and Kate B. Ford. L.A. Williams & Co., 1881. - KS - Sub by FoFG'
Charles Drake McGuffy
McGUFFEY, Charles Drake, lawyer and teacher; born Cincinnati, O., June 12, 1842; son Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Mansfield (Drake) McGuffey; Scotch-English descent; graduate Kenyon College, Ohio, and Cincinnati College Law School, A.B., A.M., 1863-65; member Masons, Phi Beta Kappa, Psi Upsilon; former special judge and Attorney-general pro tem; also former county superintendent public instruction of Anderson Co., Tenn., and member of school board of Knoxville, Tenn.; state service of Ohio in Civil War, volunteered as Master’s Mate in U.S. gunboat service in Civil War, but rejected on physical examination by U.S. surgeon at Cairo, Ill.; admitted to bar in Ohio in 1865, and moved to Tennessee in 1866, and to Chattanooga from Knoxville in 1875; instructor in Spanish in University of Chattanooga in 1907-08; instructor in Law School of University of Chattanooga and in Chattanooga College of Law after separation of Law School and University, 1909-11; instructor in Spanish in Central High School of Hamilton Co. since 1907; representative for Tennessee of trustees of the Cincinnati Southern Ry. since 1875; president Chattanooga Historical Society; member First Presbyterian Church of Chattanooga. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by K. Mohler]
James Edward Murdoch
MURDOCH, James Edward, actor, was born in Philadelphia, Pa. , Jan. 25, 1811; son of Thomas and Elizabeth Murdoch. Thomas Murdoch was a bookbinder by trade and a volunteer officer of artillery during the war f 1812-15. James Edward learned the bookbinder's trade and early joined an association of amateur actors, and appeared as Glenalvon in "Douglas." He studied elocution under Lemuel G. White and the science of the human voice under Dr. James Rush, and on Oct. 13, 1829, made his professional debut at the Arch Street theatre, Philadelphia, as Frederic, in "Lovers' Vows." During the winter of 1830-31, he acted in Charleston, S. C., and in other southern cities where he played for a time Pythias to Edwin Forrest's Damon. He was connected with the Arch Street theatre in 1832, and from that year until 1840 appeared in various cities in the United States, making his debut in New York city at the Park theatre as Benedick in "Much Ado About Nothing" in 1838. He was stage manager of the Chestnut Street theatre, Philadelphia, 1840-41, and during this season staged the first production of "London Assurance" at the National theatre, Boston, Mass. He withdrew form the stage in 1842 and lectured on Shakespeare in Boston, New York and Philadelphia, taught elocution and pursued a course of study under Prof. William Russell of Boston , 1842-45. He appeared as Hamlet at the Park theatre, New York, l1845, and made a tour of the United States. In 1853 he appeared at the American theatre, San Francisco, with his Brother, Dr. Samuel K. Murdoch (1816-1891) who had made his debut in San Francisco in 1852, and supported Madame Anna Bishop in German opera. He played with his brother in Baltimore in 1855, and in 1856 played in London and Liverpool and afterward traveled in Germany, Switzerland and Italy. His best parts were Romeo, Charles Surface, Don Felix, Rover, Alfred, Evelyn and Vapid. He left the state a second time in 1861 and engaged in giving patriotic readings in all the northern cities for the benefit of the U. S. sanitary commission, and for the entertainment of the soldiers in the soldier's hospitals, in the camps and on the battle fields. He also nursed the sick soldiers and became a volunteer aide on the staff of Gen. William S. Rosecrans. He retired to his farm near Lebanon, Ohio, in 1865, where he engaged in grape culture, but after a time resumed lecturing on elocution before the School of Oratory in Philadelphia, and was professor of elocution at the Cincinnati College of Music. His last appearance on the stage was as Hamlet and Charles Surface in a benefit given him in Cincinnati, April 23, 1887. He was married in 1831 to Elizabeth Middlecott, daughter of a London silversmith. He is the author of: Orthophony, or Culture of the Voice, with William Russell (1845); The Stage (180). He died in Cincinnati, Ohio, May 19, 1893. [Source: "THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS". Vol 3, Publ. 1904. - Transcribed by Richard Ramos]
Dr. Reuben Dimond Mussey
The late Reuben Dimond Mussey, M. D. LL. D., long a prominent surgeon and medical practitioner in Cincinnati, was a native of Rockingham county, New Hampshire, born June 23, 1780, of French Huguenot stock. His ancestors settled at Ipswich, Massachusetts, early in the seventeenth century. John Mussey, his rather, was also a physician of note, and survived until 1831, when he died at the advanced age of eighty-six. The elder Mussey removed to Amherst, New Hampshire, in 1791, and here his son, then eleven years of age, had his first opportunities of formal education, but only during part of the winter, and at a district school. Elementary Latin was taught him by his father, and at the age of fifteen he was enabled to enter the Aurean academy, an Amherst institution. Ambitious of yet higher education, he labored diligently on the farm during the warm season and taught school in the winter. In this way he secured means enough to carry him through Dartmouth college, which he entered in 1801, as a junior, and was graduated therefrom two years afterwards, with high honor. He began the study of medicine at once with Dr. Nathan Smith, the distinguished founder of the Medical school of New Hampshire, afterwards of New Haven, Connecticut For financial reasons, however, he returned for a time to teaching, this time in the academy at Peterborough, but keeping up his medical reading, now with Dr. Howe, of Jaffrey, but returning presently to Dr. Smith In 1805 he received his degree of Bachelor of Medicine, as the practice then was in that part of the country, after due public examination. In September following he began practice in Essex county, Massachusetts, with a very hopeful prestige, and was shortly able to enjoy further advantages of instruction at the University of Pennsylvania. From this institution, after sitting at the feet of Rush, Wister, Barton, and other masters of medical science, he was graduated in 1809. Soon resuming practice, he occupied much of his leisure time in making experimental researches, in the hope of settling certain important and long disputed questions in physiology. For example, even before leaving the University school, he ascertained by the detection in human urine of highly colored substances, as madder, cochineal, and the like, solutions of which had been merely brought into contact with parts of the body, that the doctrine of cutaneous absorption was true. The experiments were performed upon his own person, and one of the baths in which he immersed himself for the purpose nearly cost him his life. Similar results were obtained by others, building upon his inquiries. The experiments are referred to in the Anatomy of Dr. Wister and kindred works, and went far to change the views of the physiologists-even so eminent a scientist as Dr. Rush-in regard to the possibility of absorption by the skin.
Dr. Mussey's first settlement, after graduation, was at Salem, Massachusetts, where he practiced in partnership with the eminent Dr. Daniel Oliver, afterwards incumbent of the chair of medicine in the New Hampshire medical institution, and also lecturer on physiology in the Ohio Medical college. These gentlemen, in addition to their regular practice, gave the local public the benefit of their large acquirements in the annual courses of lectures on chemistry. Dr. Mussey's business grew rapidly upon his hands, especially in the practice of surgery, his services in the treatment of the eye, as well as of other portions of the human anatomy, being frequently called into requisition. In the fall of 1814 he was elected to the chair of theory and practice of physic in the Medical school at Dartmouth college. He assumed the duties of the post, which were presently interrupted by the up- rising of legal questions, during which he occupied the time of an academic session with another notable series of chemical lectures, which was repeated, with additions, at Middlebury college, Vermont, in 1817. Upon the clearance of the legal difficulties, through the memorable aid of Daniel Webster, in his great argument before the supreme court of the United States, Dr. Mussey resumed teaching at Dartmouth, but this time as a professor of anatomy and surgery. This was a peculiarly laborious and responsible position, to whose duties he added a large professional practice, which had grown during his, as yet, short residence in the village. He went abroad in December, 1829, and spent ten months in travel, recreation, and the collection of facts and principles in his favorite science from the great hospitals and anatomical museums of London and Paris. He doubled, and sometimes trebled, his work upon his return to Dartmouth, in order to make good the time lost by his foreign tour. For four winters thereafter he also lectured upon anatomy and surgery in the medical school of Maine, at a time when the New Hampshire college was not in session. In 1836-7 he was lecturer on surgery in the college of physicians and surgeons, at Fairfield, New York, and in the fall of the next year he determined to accept a more distant, and in some respects a more hopeful, appointment, and add his great abilities to the staff of the medical college of Ohio. He came to Cincinnati in 1838, and for fourteen years was the highly successful and popular lecturer on surgery in that institution, and also the chief medical attendant at the Commercial hospital, while he also maintained an extensive private practice. He was especially skilled in the grand operations of surgery, which he was frequently called to perform, and in which he won a high and wide reputation, patients coming at times long distances to receive his treatment. In 1850 he was made president of the American medical association, and discharged its duties with entire acceptance. Two years thereafter he was called upon to aid in founding a new institution, the Miami Medical college, and was its professor of surgery until 1857, when the two institutions were united. He, however, was now seventy-seven years old, and amply entitled to the retirement which he sought. For two years longer he continued to practice in Cincinnati, and then returned to the east, where he spent his last years in Boston, visiting the hospitals and manifesting to the last an active interest in the advancement of his beloved profession. He died in that city June 21, 1866, having completed, within two days, his eighty-sixth year. Dr. Mussey's is one of the great and venerable names in the history of medicine and that of the Ohio valley. Among the eulogies which have been passed upon his character and life, there is none, perhaps, more forcible or better put than the following from the Biographical Cyclopaedia and Portrait Gallery of Distinguished Men, published in 1879:
To a most profound knowledge and skill in his profession, Dr. Mussey united the virtues and honorable qualities which reflect justice upon humanity. To his temperate living, and to the strict regularity of his habits, he seemed to be much Indebted for the great length and the useful labors of his life. He took an active part in forming the Massachusetts Temperance society, but in his own course of life he did not restrict the meaning of temperance to the mere abstinence from the use of intoxicating drinks, and at this period he became distinguished as an advocate of total abstinence. In 1828 a severe fit of sickness caused him to change his views on diet, and he became a vegetarian, and remained so until his death. During the years dating from 1833 to 1840, he delivered a series of popular lectures on hygiene, including the effects of certain fashions in dress, peculiar habits of life, and varieties of food, etc., upon the human health. In i860 he published a valuable work, entitled Health, its Friends and its Foes, which gained a wide circulation. Dr. Mussey was a man of such strong individuality and originality of character and ideas that he was a leader among men. As a surgeon he was strictly conservative, religiously conscientious, and very thorough, as well in the treatment of his cases following operations as in the performance of them. In many of his surgical operations he was the pioneer, and the medical and scientific journals of Europe and America contain records of his valuable discoveries in surgical science. He was remarkable for large benevolence and generosity, not alone toward the poor among his patients, but to all institutions and enterprises of a benevolent and charitable nature. Untiring industry, perseverance, enthusiasm, fidelity to principle, and his views of duty in his professional, moral, and social life, were the controlling influences in his eventful and brilliant career. While laboring for the good of humanity in this world, he was not forgetful of the concerns of the next. He was an elder in the Presbyterian church, and was very strict and observant of his religious duties. He was universally beloved in the profession, as well as out of it.
Dr. Mussey's first wife was Miss Mary Sewall, of Maine. He had no children by this marriage. After her death he was again married, his second wife being Miss Hetty, daughter of Dr. John Osgood, of Salem, Massachusetts. They had nine children, most of whom have risen to distinction, or occupy prominent positions in society. The roll is as follows: John, who died in 1872; Joseph Osgood, who died in 1856; William Heberden, an eminent surgeon of Cincinnati, who is the subject of further notice below; Francis Brown, another able physician, residing in Portsmouth, Ohio; Maria Lucretia, now Mrs. Lyman Mason, of Boston, Massachusetts; Catharine Stone, now Mrs. Shattuck Hartwell, of Littleton, Massachusetts; the Rev. Charles Frederick, D. D., a Presbyterian minister, of Blue Rapids, Kansas; Edward Augustus, died in 1831; and Reuben Dimond, a prominent lawyer in Washington city. [Source: "History of Cincinnati, Ohio: with illustrations and biographical sketches", compiled by Henry A. Ford and Kate B. Ford. L.A. Williams & Co., 1881. - KS - Sub by FoFG]
Dr. William Heberden Mussey
William Heberden Mussey, M. D., M. A., third son of Reuben D. Mussey, above noticed, and Hetty Osgood Mussey, is a native of Hanover, New Hampshire, born September 30, 1818. His middle name is that of an eminent Scotch physician. He received general training in the academies of New England; in 1848 read medicine with his father, and graduated from the medical college of Ohio, and subsequently finished his professional education also in the superior schools of the French capital. He was for a short time previously in mercantile life, but found the occupation uncongenial. He began practice with his distinguished father, but was soon diverted from it by the oncoming of the great storm of rebellion. He foresaw the struggle clearly, and even before the outbreak, wrote to Governor Chase, then secretary of the treasury, urgently asking permission to convert the old and unused Maine hospital building at the east end, into an army hospital, in preparation for coming emergencies. Consent being obtained, the necessary funds were raised by private contribution, the hospital was fully organized and set in operation, and was soon one of the most efficient and useful volunteer hospitals ever turned over to the Government, and the pioneer institution of the kind Dr. Mussey was also greatly influential in the formation of the munificent benefaction known as the Cincinnati branch of the United States sanitary commission, which was organized in the rooms occupied by his office at No. 70 West South street. The story of the work done by the commission and of the wonderful sanitary fair in its aid, is told in our military chapter, as also, to some extent, that of Dr. Mussey's further services to the Union cause. He offered his abilities as an uncommissioned surgeon gratuitously to the Government, to serve till the war ended, which was declined; he was commissioned brigade surgeon, became medical director of a division in Buell's army, was in service in the battles of Shiloh and Corinth, and was finally promoted to be medical inspector, one of the very highest positions on the medical staff of the army. During service in this capacity, he inspected every Federal regiment on duty from Washington to Florida. It is said of him by competent authorities that, in the various military duties assigned to him, he was considered one of the most efficient medical officers in the service. During the year the Rebellion was crushed he received the appointment of professor of surgery in the Miami Medical college, which he still holds. In 1863 he was appointed surgeon to the Cincinnati hospital; in 1864, was elected vice-president of the American Medical association; has been surgeon of the St. John's hotel for invalids in 1855, surgeon general on the staff of the governor of Ohio in 1876, and the same year president of the Cincinnati society of natural history. He has written and published much on professional topics, and has made a permanent and invaluable contribution to the medical and scientific reading accessible to students in Cincinnati, by the foundation of the Mussey collection in the public library, upon the basis of a large number of rare volumes left by his father, to which he has made great additions. The collection already counts five thousand six hundred volumes and three thousand six hundred pamphlets, he is constantly recruiting its goodly numbers. The Encyclopaedia and Portrait Gallery, from which' we have already quoted, says of Dr. Mussey:
He resembles his father in some of his most striking characteristics. Like him, he is severely honest. If, in his opinion, the condition of a patient is such as to render medical treatment unnecessary, or if, through the utter hopelessness of the case it seems to him that no hope of recovery can possibly be entertained, he promptly and plainly states the fact, and advises that further expense for medical aid shall not be incurred. He is also religiously careful and thorough in his operations, and distinguished for his sound judgment, fertility of resources, ingenuity of contrivance, and gentleness of manipulation. A man of method, he is always rather slow, but very sure, prepared for emergencies and mishaps. Frankness being one of his chief virtues, he is ever willing and anxious to acknowledge and atone for an injustice he may have unwittingly caused another. Politically, he attends strictly to the observance of his duties as a citizen. Socially, he is a Christian gentleman-charitable, genial, and hospitable; and again, like his father, he possesses a large and benevolent heart, which dispenses substantial benefits to persons and purposes needing professional or pecuniary assistance. The Second Presbyterian church of Cincinnati, in which he is an elder, has counted him among its liberal supporters, and regarded him as one of its best members. He is generally acknowledged to rank among the highest of the profession in Cincinnati as a surgeon.
On the twenty-fifth of May, 1857, Dr. Mussey was united in marriage with Miss Caroline W. Lindsley, of Washington city. They have one surviving son, William Lindsley (named from his maternal grandfather), a recent graduate of the Woodward high school, and about to matriculate in Vale college. [Source: "History of Cincinnati, Ohio: with illustrations and biographical sketches", compiled by Henry A. Ford and Kate B. Ford. L.A. Williams & Co., 1881 - KS - Sub by FoFG]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails