Hamilton County Ohio
Fred L. Schubert
SCHUBERT, Fred L., lawyer; born Cincinnati, Ohio, May 3, 1873; German descent; son of Moritz and Bertha (Keifer) Schubert; father’s occupation farmer; education in the public schools; moved to Tenn. with his parents in 1879; began teaching school in 1899; studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1894; married Pearl DeHart Oct. 18, 1900; member Masons, Royal Arch (Past Master Hohenwald Lodge No. 607), Knights of Pythias; Democrat; State Senator 1905-1907; member Lower House General Assembly of Tenn. 1907-1909. [Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by K. Mohler]
Charles Wilkins Short
John Cleves Symmes' Descendants.
A man died in Cincinnati several years ago whose lineal descendants link the yesterday and today of that historical region together. He was Charles Wilkins Short, great grandson of John Cleves Symmes, the original purchaser of all the land in Southern Ohio lying between the two Miami rivers, and who planned and directed its settlement. In a sense, he was the founder of Cincinnati. Charles Wilkins Short was a son of a notable lawyer of an earlier day in Cincinnati, bearing the same name. His grandfather was Peyton Short, who married on of the two daughters of Judge John Cleves Symmes. The other one became the wife of William Henry Harrison, president of the United States and the first president that Ohio gave the nation.
Charles Wilkins Short was of aristocratic tendencies and was best known as a clubman, but he had more serious interests. He was a devout and active member of the Episcopal church, and he erected and gave to the church a chapel, Church of the Resurrection, at Fernbank, Hamilton county, which town he laid out and practically built. He acted as the treasurer of the church for many years and for a quarter of a century had always represented the parish in the general conferences. His wife, who died a few years ago, was Miss Mary Dudley, a noted beauty of Lexington, Ky. For years she was a leader among Cincinnati women in religious, social and welfare work. The old Short mansion was located on what was known locally as "Short Hill," the present site of the Addyston Pipe and Steel plant overlooking the river. It was built by Charles Wilkin Short in 1810. This property was lost to the Short family in business disasters in 1893. Two children survive - John Cleves Short, a lieutenant colonel in the army, and Charles W. Short, an architect. [By J. H. Galbraith for the Associated Press, Repository (31 July 1930) - MZ - Sub by FoFG]
John Cleves Short
JOHN CLEVES SHORT was born in Lexington, Kentucky, in March, 1792, being the son of Peyton and Mary Short, the latter being the daughter of John Cleves Symmes, the grantee of the famous Symmes purchase, which embraced a large tract of land lying between the Little and Great Miami rivers, and including the present site of Cincinnati. He was educated and graduated at Princeton college, New Jersey. Most of his early life was spent with his grandfather, Judge Symmes, near the present villages of North Bend and Cleves, Hamilton county, Ohio.
Having a predilection for the study of law he entered the office of Judge Burnet in Cincinnati, and in that city successfully engaged in the practice of his profession after he was admitted to the bar.
During the War of 1812 he accompanied General Harrison (who afterwards became President of the United States) as aid-de-camp in one of his northwestern campaigns, and on his return to Cincinnati was elected judge of the common pleas court. During the time of his law practice and judgeship he resided in Cincinnati near the corner of Fourteenth and Main streets, in a house surrounded by a large yard and garden.
Although he did not take a particular part in politics, he was greatly interested in all enterprises that affected the well-being of his fellow citizens, and in recognition of this and of his thorough qualifications, he was elected a member of the legislature of Ohio. In 1817 he erected a dwelling house on the site of the present homestead of his descendants, on the banks of the Ohio about twelve miles west of Cincinnati, into which he moved on the seventeenth of November of that year, and lived there forty-seven years. This place was known as "Short Hill." The greatest portion of his time was occupied in attending to his adjacent farms, in building numerous additions to his house, and in literary pursuits he loved so well.
Previous to his being elected judge he married Miss Betsey Bassett Harrison, daughter of President Harrison, by whom he had one daughter who died in infancy. In 1846 he experienced the loss of his wife, and in 1849 married Miss Mary Ann Mitchel, who survived him about seven years. He died at his residence above mentioned on the third of March, 1864, after a long period of suffering from disease of the heart He left two sons by his second marriage- John C. and Charles W.- but lost one son who died very young.
A memorial chapel to his memory and that of his second wife has recently been erected on his estate, and on the twenty-ninth of December, 1877, it was consecrated to the use of the Protestant Episcopal church. Of his two sons, John C. died on the third of May, 1880, Charles W. was married, first of February, 1872, to Miss Mary W. Dudley, of Lexington, Kentucky. She is the daughter of W. A. Dudley, a prominent citizen of that town, and a granddaughter of Dr. B. W. Dudley, an eminent surgeon, well known throughout that State. [Source: "History of Cincinnati, Ohio: with illustrations and biographical sketches"compiled by Henry A. Ford and Kate B. Ford. L.A. Williams & Co., 1881. - KS - sub by FoFG]