Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line
[Please confirm all data with the original source]

JAMES T. ADAMS, manufacturer, Findlay, was born in Perry County, Penn., April 22, 1825; son of William and Elizabeth (Ball) Adams, who came here in 1860. William Adams was a worthy minister in the Church of God and died here in 1882, leaving four sons and three daughters: Mary Ann, deceased wife of Levi Tarr, of Wood County, Ohio; James T.; Sarah J.; Elizabeth, wife of John Ferguson, of Liberty Township, this county; William B., hardware merchant, of Corunna, Ind.; John and Newton, prominent business men in Findlay. The subject of our sketch served an apprenticeship to the tinsmithing business in his native county, and, upon coming to Findlay, Ohio, in 1854, embarked in hardware, tin and stone business. In 1862 he engaged in linseed oil manufacturing, with which he remained successfully connected for twenty years, retiring from it to give his more especial attention to his already extensive foundry business, in which he had become interested some years previous. He married, in Richland County, Ohio, in 1849, Harriet L., daughter of Peter Bodine, by whom he has one son and one daughter: Frederick C., and Lizzie B., wife of John A. Weeks, Jr. The family attend the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Adams has been an Odd Fellow for over forty years. He has always avoided holding public office, but has served in the council for sixteen years and is now a worthy member of the school board of Findlay. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JAMES T. ADAMS
In commercial circles at Findlay no name is more familiar than that of Adams Brothers, the members of which have for many years been identified in a conspicuous way with the industries of the city. Both individually and collectively these brothers have contributed much toward the growth and development of the municipality, being active in connection with the social and educational as well as the business life of the community. The family is one of ancient origin and honorable record, the founder of the American branch having come over while the present New England states were still loyal subjects of the king. Richard Adams, son of this English emigrant, was born in Massachusetts, took part as a soldier of the line in the epoch making struggle for American independence, and after the war located in Pennsylvania. The late Rev. William Adams, son of this Revolutionary patriot, was born in Perry county, Pennsylvania, in 1798, removed in 1837 to Wayne county, Ohio, and in i860 located at Findlay, where he continued to reside until his death in 1882. Originally a member of the Presbyterian, he became in later life a minister of the Church of God, in which capacity he was widely and favorably known among religious workers. This divine was the father of the Adams' Brothers, referred to above, and whose lives and business careers it is the intention to set forth in this and the subsequent biography. [Source: Centennial Biographical [History of Hancock county, Ohio New York: Lewis Pub. Co., 1903

NEWTON M. ADAMS
This gentleman is the treasurer of the well known Adams' Brothers Company, of which his brother James is president, and they have been connected in business at Findlay for thirty-four years. But his activities are by no means confined to his duties with the foundry firm, his regular occupation being varied by service in the city council, as chief of the Findlay fire department, and as president of the City Banking Company, which position he holds at the present time. As the family history has been given in the sketch of James T. Adams, presented above, it will not be necessary to repeat it further than to say that the name of Adams has been a respected one in the various states where its representatives have resided and nowhere else so much as in Ohio, with whose interests they have been identified for more than half a century of active business life. Newton M. Adams was born at Plymouth, Ohio, December 3, 1844, and remained at home until the age of fourteen, when the family necessities compelled him to seek work for a livelihood. Going to Corunna, Indiana, he succeeded in getting employment as clerk in a store, which position he retained until the turmoil incident to the opening of the Civil war turned his attention in other directions. In short he caught the war fever, and in December, 1863, enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until the close of the war and meantime rose to the rank of corporal. Mr. Adams took part with his regiment in Sherman 's memorable "on to Atlanta " campaign in the spring and summer of 1864, but when Hood made his famous break toward Nashville, the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth formed part of the troops sent in pursuit. The most important battles in which Mr. Adams fought were those at Franklin, Nashville and Spring Hill, Tennessee, subsequent to which his regiment was sent to North Carolina where it took part in the closing scenes, including the engagement at Bentonville. After obtaining his final discharge, Mr. Adams returned directly to his old place at Corunna, remained there three years and in 1869 came to Findlay where he embarked in the stove and tin business. This venture occupied his attention until 1871 when he joined his brother in organizing a partnership to conduct the foundry and machine business at Findlay, which nine years later eventuated in the corporation since officered by the Adams Brothers. He has been one of the important factors in the success of this popular plant, as he is not only a man of great energy and perseverance, but is noted for the clearness and coolness of his business judgment. These qualities caused him to be elected to the council, where the city needed his services, also made him a gas trustee and led to his appointment to the responsible post of chief of the fire department. In 1868 Mr. Adams was united in marriage with Mary J., daughter of Levi Brown, and they have four children: Bestor E.; James T.; Donald B. and Jeannette. Mr. Adams has long been an enthusiastic Odd Fellow and by virtue of his military services is a welcome comrade of Post No. 54, Grand Army of the Republic. [Source: Centennial Biographical [History of Hancock county, Ohio New York: Lewis Pub. Co., 1903

GEORGE B. ALBAN, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, March 10, 1811, son of William (a farmer) and Elizabeth (Shane) Alban. William Alban served in the war of 1812 as captain; he was a justice of the peace for many years; in politics he was a stanch Whig. His father, George Alban, was a Virginia farmer. William Alban was thrice married, Elizabeth (Shane), the mother of our subject, being his first wife. There were eight children in this family: James S. (the eldest, was a lawyer by profession, and at the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion was a resident of Wisconsin; he became colonel of the Eighteenth Regiment W. V. I., and was killed in action at the battle of Pittsburg Landing), Eliza (deceased), Jane (deceased), George B., Mary, William (a lawyer and a former partner of James S.), Sarah, wife of Solomon Pranks, of Medina County, Ohio) and Capt. H. H. (of Findlay, Ohio). William Alban's second wife was Jane Whitcraft, daughter of William Whitcraft, of Stark County, Ohio, and by her were eight childrenthree of whom are still living: Nancy, Rebecca and Levina. William Alban's last marriage was with Isabel McCaughey, daughter of Joseph McCaughey, of Stark County, Ohio; she bore him two children: Joseph P. and Newton. George B. Alban, the subject of this sketch, passed most of his early life in Stark County, Ohio, and there married, October 15, 1835, his first wife, Maria McCaughey, daughter of John McCaughey, of Stark County, Ohio; there were three children by this union, two of whom are living: Eliza J. and John M. Mr. Alban came to this county February 12, 1839, and has since resided here, engaged in farming. He has a farm of 160 acres of land which is crossed by the '' Nickel Plate'' Railroad. His second wife was Susan Edgar, daughter of William Edgar, formerly a farmer of this county. To her he was married in January, 1844. She bore two children, both of whom died young. Our subject's third marriage was November 9, 1848, with Mary A. Davis, daughter of John Davis, a farmer of Wood County, Ohio; the only child born of this union died in infancy. Mr. Alban's present wife, Jane, to whom he was married November 1, 1854, is a daughter of John McLeester, a farmer of this county. Two children have been born of this union: Maria and Helen. George B. Alban is an energetic and enterprising man, and still retains a goodly share of youthful vigor, both in action and in appearance. He is an elder in the Presbyterian Church; one of the old and substantial citizens of this county. He and his family are connected with the West Union Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886

DANIEL ALSPACH
Farmer. P. O. Vanlue, born in Fairfield County, Ohio, December 10, 1811, is a son of Adam and Barbara (Wyant) Alspach, natives of Schuylkill County, Penn. Adam Alspach, born in 1788, was a soldier in the war of 1812; he came to Ohio at the age of twenty years, and lived in Fairfield County with his parents and grand father, Henry Alspach, who were pioneers in Ohio. Adam Alspach married in Fairfield County, and came to Hancock County in 1830, entering 160 acres of land in Section 19, Amanda Township, where he' resided until his death. He was the father of seven children when he came to Amanda Township: Daniel, Aaron, David, Richard, Elizabeth (now deceased). Lavina, wife of Samuel Treece, and Sarah A., who was born in this county, and is now the wife of Henry Beck. Daniel Alspach married, September 15, 1836, Catharine, daughter of Cornelius Vanlue, whose brother, William, laid out the village of Vanlue, this county. (He afterward moved to Nebraska, and there died.) Cornelius Vanlue settled in Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1823, and moved to Hancock County in 1831. Mr. and Mrs. Alspach are the parents of ten children: Barbara A. (wife of N. Buckingham), William, Savilla (deceased), James, Elmyra, Sarah E. (wife of L. Clark), Lavina (deceased), J. W. (deceased), Salathiel, and Alice (wife of F. Copeland). Our subject and wife endured many hardships during their early pioneer days. They lived for a time in Vanlue, but, preferring farm life, they again moved into the country. [[History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

AARON ALLSPACH, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born February 12, 1818, in Fairfield County, Ohio, is a son of Adam and Barbara (Wyant) Allspach. His great-grandfather came from Germany to Pennsylvania, and his grandfather, Henry Allspach, moved from Pennsylvania in an early day, and settled in Fairfield County, Ohio. Adam and Barbara Allspach were the parents of nine children, six of whom are now living: Daniel, Aaron, David, Richard, Lavinia (wife of S. Treese), aud Sarah (wife of Henry Beck), now living in Michigan. The deceased are Samuel, Polly and Elizabeth (wife of J. Litsenberger). Aaron Allspach was married February 22, 1839, to Sarah, daughter of Joshua Brown (deceased at the age of ninety-five years), and by her he had eleven children, of whom five are deceased and six are living: Nathan (married to Nancy Furnish), Marion (married to Viola Reynolds), Mary L. (wife of W. E. Ewing), Jacob E. (married to Emma Bell), Joshua D. (married to Sarah A. Beard), Ella A. (wife of Charles Dame). Those deceased are Adam, Caleb, Daniel, Benjamin, Barbara E. Mr. Allspach came to this county with his parents in 1829, and stopped over night on the Henry George farm. His father's family was the first to locate on the west side of what was then a great swamp, but has since become fine farms. After his marriage Aaron had only 25 cents left to begin life with. Ho has been a successful farmer, and now owns the Henry George farm, the same on which he passed his first night on coming to this county in 1829. [[History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

DANIEL ALTMAN, farmer, P.O. Findlay, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, May 9, 1818. His parents, Adam and Hannah Altman, came to Marion Township, this county, in August, 1833, and hero entered 480 acres of land from the Government, and remained until their death; the former died June 17. 18f')3. in his eighty-fifth year, and the latter October 15, 1848. They had twelve children, eleven of whom grew to maturity, and four are yet living: Daniel; Mrs. Kate Bnrnap, of Alcona. Mich.; Mrs. Susan Powell, of Eagle Township, this county, and Samuel, of Findlay, Ohio. Daniel Altman was reared on the farm and endured the hardships of a pioneer's son. He was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Mooma, in 1841, and they then settled where they now reside, having a fine farm of 160 acres of well improved land. Their union has been blessed with two children: Joseph, married to Mrs. Ellen Spayde (have one son-Harvey P.), and Eli, married, March 23, 1871, to Christens Plotts (a sister of Joseph's wife), which union has been blessed with four children: Andrew, Clarence, Harry and Carrie. In politics Mr. Altman is a Democrat. Mrs. Altman is a member of the Lutheran Church. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JOHN ALTMAN, builder and contractor, Findlay, was born in Marion Township, this county, March 6, 1837; son of John and Delilah (Young) Altman, natives of Pennsylvania and Virginia, respectively, and, who came of worthy pioneer ancestry in their respective States. They settled in this county in 1832. Of their nine children seven are residents of this county. One son resides in Allen County, Ohio, and one, Henry, lost his life in the army during the war of the Rebellion. John Altman, the subject of this sketch, was reared a farmer, but at the age of twenty-four years he engaged in contracting and building, and has taken a leading part in that industry in this county, both in private building and public improvements. In 1857 he was united in marriage with Elizabeth Wingate, who died in 1864, in full communion with the United Brethren Church. Of her three daughters and one son, only one daughter survives: Eliza, wife of Henry Dillman, a saddler, in Findlay. The deceased are John Wilbur, who died at the age of twenty-four years; Ida May and Lillie, both of whom died young. For his second wife John Altman married, in 1870, Amanda, daughter of William and Harriet Burns, and by her he has four children: Orpha Caroline, Edward Orrin, Augusta Millard and an infant daughter. Our subject and wife attend the services of the Evangelical Union Church. He has, in company with William Presnell, Esq., an extensive stone quarry in addition to his large building interests, and gives employment to a goodly number of skilled workmen. Mr. Altman is a public-spirited man and contributes liberally to all measures calculated to benefit his county. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JOHN D. ANDERSON, farmer, P. O. Bluffton, Allen County, is a native of Orange Township, Hancock Co., Ohio, born February 14, 1843, son of Andrew W. and Mary Anderson, natives of Pennsylvania, of Irish descent, who married in York County, Penn., in 183"), and immigrated to Ohio the same year. They lived in Cohunbiana County five years, and in 1840 came to Hancock County. They were parents of two children: John D. and Mary J., latter of whom now resides in Allen County, Ohio. The father died January 25, 1864; the mother resides with her son John D. on the old homestead farm. The subject of this sketch is engaged in farming and stock raising, improving the homestead farm in various ways, and has made some additions to it, and now has 240 acres of land, with good buildings and other improvements. Mr. Anderson was twice married; first, in January, 1870, to Miss Eliza Montgomery, a native of Orange Township, Hancock Co., Ohio, and daughter of John and Ellenor (McClain) Montgomery, now residents of Orange Township, this county. To this union were born two children: John A. and Eliza, both now living. Mrs. Anderson died October 18, 1872, and April 3, 1884, Mr. Anderson married, for his second wife. Miss Emma Rnggly, of Orange Township, this county, a native of Wayne County, Ohio, and daughter of John and Mary (Stauffer) Ruggly, of Orange Township. Mrs. Ruggly died in this county; Mr. Ruggly still resides in Orange Township, Hancock County. The second marriage of our subject has been blessed with one son, named Jesse Edgar. Mr. Anderson is a man of high standing in the community in which he lives, an enterprising and industrious citizen. He has served his township in several of its offices, and is an earnest and ardent advocate of the principles of the Republican party. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JOHN T. ARNOLD, P. O. Hassan, a native of Delaware County, Ohio, born in 1840, is a son of Thomas and Rachel (Moore) Arnold, natives of Rhode Island and Hocking County, Ohio, respectively, who married in Delaware County, Ohio, and were the parents of five children: Wilson, Eliza, William, Stephen and John T. Eliza resides in Delaware County, Ohio; William died in the late war; the remaining children reside in thiaaxmnty. The mother died in 1841, and the father in 1843. He was a Whig in politics, and held the office of justice of the peace for several years. John T. Arnold married, in Licking County, Ohio, February 18, 1864, Miss Jane Lewis, a native of Licking County, Ohio, born March, 1841, daughter of John and Sarah (Hughs) Lewis, both deceased. By this union Mr. Arnold had ten children: Lizzie, Delia, Thomas (deceased), Samuel R., James H., Sarah, George (deceased), Ida (deceased), Bertha A. and William J. Mr. Arnold and family came to Orange Township, this county, in 1866. He now has 160 acres of land, which he has improved in various ways, and on which he has good buildings. He served under the three months' call in the late war in Company A, One Hundred and Forty-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Mr. and Mrs. Arnold are two of the pioneers of the Riley Creek Mission Baptist Church. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

THOMAS WILSON ARNOLD, farmer, P. O. Forest, Hardin County,was born January 24, 1829, in Athens County, Ohio. His parents, Thomas and Rachel Arnold, moved to Delaware County, Ohio, about 1831 or 1832, where they resided until their death, an event that left our subject at the age of fifteen years to take care of himself, and ho came the following year to Delaware Township, this county. Here he lived with William Moore, and afterward purchased a piece of land in Pleasant Township, this county, and in June, 1851, ho married, in Pleasant Township, Miss Rachel Nicholson, who had been a resident of Wood County, Ohio, from girlhood. They sold their property in Pleasant Township, and located where they now reside, in Delaware Towaship. Hancock County, in 1853, where they have a farm of 160 acres of land, after having given eighty acres to their sons. The children of our subject and wife were Mrs. Amelia Reigle, Aaron (killed in 1864, at the age of twenty years, by falling from a tree), Francis M., Mrs. Eliza Malone, Stephen A., Rebecca, Thomas W., Mary and Rachel. Mrs. Arnold died in September, 1870, and in 1873 Mr. Arnold married, for his second wife, Mrs. Sarah A. Martin; they have one son, William Alton. Mr. Arnold, formerly a Whig, has been a Republican in politics ever since the organization of the party. He is an enterprising and successful farmer, and one of the leading citizens of Delaware Township. In August, 1862, in response to the President's call for 600,000 troops, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which regiment was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, and took part in many of the battles of the campaigns in Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia. He received an honorable discharge from the service in August, 1864, on account of disabilities. His record in the army is that of a brave and faithful soldier, who was always ready for the discharge of his duty. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JOHN ARRAS, Sb., farmer, P. O. Jenera, was born November 19,1821, in Brandan, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, and came to America with his father, Peter Arras, in 1831, and to Eagle Township, this county, in 1839. He married, October 19, 1846, Miss Margaretha Essinger, of Amanda Township, this county, and they located in Eagle Township, March 11, 1848. The place was new, and they at once began to make a home for themselves. Mr. Arras has here a fine and fertile farm of 201 acres of land, and has built thereon a fine brick residence, besides making other valuable improvements. Mr. and Mrs. John Arras are parents of six children: Harriet, Peter, John, Philip, Mrs. Margaret Glick and Nicholas. Mr. Arras and family are members of the Lutheran Church. He is one of the successful fanners of Eagle Township, a good citizen, highly respected by the community in which ho lives. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

PETER ARRAS, farmer, P. O. Jenera, was born May 19, 1825, in Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany. He came to America, and to Union County, Ohio, with his parents. Peter and Margaret Arras, in 1831, and to Eagle Township, this county, in 1839. They settled in the woods and young Peter worked for his father until twenty-seven years of age. Our subject married, October, 1849, Miss Barbara Essinger, and his father gave him a start in life with 120 acres of new land, on which the young couple settled in 1851. This land Mr. Arras has cleared up and converted into a fertile farm and a pleasant home, and has built thereon a fine brick residence, and has made other valuable improvements. He and his wife were parents of the following named children: Philip, Anna Barbara (deceased), John, Peter (deceased) and Eva Maria Redick. The mother of these children died November 22, 1858, and Mr. Arras afterward married, in March, 1859, Miss Maria Heldman, who died November 9, 1862, leaving one daughter-Mrs. Eva Wilson. Mr. Arras was next united in marriage, August 15, 1865, with Miss Eva Elizabeth Reddick. who was born in Germany and came to Erie County, Ohio, with her parents. By this union there are three daughters living: Christena, Matilda and Maggie Katy, and one son deceased, named Benjamin. Mr. Arras has added to his farm until he now owns 300 acres of land, after having given each of his sons a good start in life. He and his family are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Arras is a successful farmer and a good citizen, highly respected by all. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

PHILIP ARRAS, farmer, P. O. Jenera, was born April 8, 1832, in Union County, Ohio. His parents, Peter and Margaret Arras, of HessenDarmstadt, Germany, came to America in 1831, and after living a few years in Union and Marion Counties. Ohio, finally settled, in 1839, in Eagle Township, this county, where they bought a new farm and began making a home for themselves. Philip, their youngest son, remained at home and undertook the care of his father and mother. Peter Arras died in 1860, his widow August 25, 1883. May 21, 1861, Philip Arras was united in marriage with Miss Catharine Heldman, daughter of Henry Heldman. Mr. Arras now owns the old homestead farm of 240 acres of land, whereon he has built a fine brick residence and made other valuable improvements. To Mr. and Mrs. Arras have been born five children: Henry, Carl, Mena, Lucy and Jacob (latter deceased); those living are all at home, a bright and interesting family, and Mr. Arras is giving them good educational advantages, both literary and musical. The entire family are members of the German Lutheran Church. Mr. Arras is an enterprising and successful farmer, a good citizen, highly respected by all who know him. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

AUGUSTUS F. ASKAM, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born March 6, 1838, in Findlay Township, Hancock Co., Ohio, is a son of John and Julia A. (Leader) Askam. natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Ohio in 1837-38,and settled in Findlay Township, this county. They entered land near what is now the city of Findlay. Of their family of three sons and one daughter, our subject is the only one now living. He was educated in Findlay, and, in 1859, married Savilla, daughter of Stephen Lee. She bore him three children, two of whom are now living: Alice M. (wife of J. Campbell) and Alvin L. Their mother died in 1865, and Mr. Askam married, in 1866, Melinda Ault. daughter of a pioneer of Marion County, Ohio. By her he has three children, now living: Lola M., John B. and Anna L. Mr. Askam has been engaged in mercantile business, has also followed the carpenter's trade, and for the last four years has been engaged in farming. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and Good Templars. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]




BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails