Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line
[Please confirm all data with the original source]


AARON BAKER, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Rockingham County, Va., February 8, 1810; son of John and Mary (Dane) Baker, natives of Virginia, who came to Ohio in 1812 and located in Madison Township. Franklin County, where they remained until 1830, when they removed to this county, settling in Findlay Township, and here passed the remainder of their days. They had nine children, of whom two are now living: Reuben, in Kosciusko County, Ohio, and Aaron. The subject of this sketch was married, January 29, 1833, to Mary Hartley, and by her he had ten children (seven of whom are now living): Tabitha, wife of Joseph Wagoner; Benjamin P.; Perry D.; Hoster A., wife of Emory Rice; John W., who was a soldier in the One Hundred and Eighteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Capt. Howard, and was killed in a skirmish in Tennessee; Diana, wife of George Sager; Elizabeth, wife of John Sager; Reuben H.; Isaiah M. and Lurie, wife of Mason Bibler. Mr. Baker began his business career one mile and a half northeast of Findlay, Ohio, where he remained for nineteen years. He then sold and afterward purchased the John P. Hamilton farm, which had been entered by Mr. Hamilton during President Monroe's administration. This farm, which is located on the bank of the Blanchard fork, Mr. Baker improved. Our subject is a well-to-do farmer; in politics a stanch Republican. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JOHN BAKER, farmer, P. O. Arcadia, was born in Cass Township, this county, in 1847; son of Alexander and Catharine (Eckert) Baker, natives of Ohio. The original Baker stock came to America from England in an early day and settled near Baltimore, Md. Grafton Baker, grandfather of our subject, moved from Virginia to Carroll County, Ohio, and from there to this county about the year 1830. He had a family of live sons and one daughter. Mrs. Catharine (Eckert) Baker's people came to Cass Township, this county, from Fairfield County, Ohio, in an early day, and here settled. In 1844, after their marriage, our subject's parents came to Cass Township. The father died in 1849, leaving a family of three children - two daughters and one son, John. The eldest daughter died in 1866; the youngest married G. W. Norris (they have a family of two sons and one daughter). The subject of this sketch was married in 1868 to Sarah C. Binger, whose parents came to this county from Carroll County, Ohio, in an early day, and to this union have been born three children: Alexander, Lemuel and Amanda. Mr. Baker was elected to the office of justice of the peace for Cass Township in the fall of 1883, which he still holds. He resides on the old homestead, his mother, who is still living, being with him. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

N. J. BAKER, proprietor of livery and feed stable, Findlay, was born in Allen Township, this county, October 11, 1845; son of George and Margaret Baker, natives of Fairfield County, Ohio, and of Pennsylvanian and Virginian ancestry, respectively. They settled in this county in an early day, and reared a family of seven sons and five daughters. The father and one daughter, Almira, who married A. J. Roberts, of Allen Township, this county, are deceased. The surviving children are Hannah, wife of Wilson Decker, carpenter and builder, North Baltimore, Ohio; Solomon, a farmer, in Johnson County, Iowa; Thomas, a farmer, in Putnam County, Ohio; Almeda, wife of Stewart Skinner, of Allen Township, this county; Benjamin F. a farmer, of Allen Township, this county; George W., a farmer, of Allen County, Kas.; Malissa, wife of J. C. Overholt, of Pleasant Township, this county; Ella (unmarried), Clement and William C., living at home; and the subject of this sketch. N. J. Baker was reared a farmer and still owns a fine farm in Section 16, Cass Township, this county. During the war of the Rebellion he served in Company C, One Hundred and Ninety-eighth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He embarked in the livery business in 1883. Mr. Baker was united in marriage in Allen Township, this county, with Verona, daughter of William and Mary Miller. The family attend the services of the United Brethren Church.

WILLIAM H. BALDWIN, M. D. (deceased), was born in Champaign County, Ohio, January 16, 1810, and settled in Findlay, Ohio, in the fall of 1832. Having studied and attended lectures at Cincinnati, he entered the medical profession in early life and rose to a very respectable rank as a physician. His high reputation and success gained him a very large practice which extended into adjoining counties, as well as all over the one in which he lived. His extensive practice necessitated long and frequent rides, and those who enjoy the advantages and improvements of the present day know but little of what those rides involved; there were but few well-beaten roads and scarcely any bridges; streams had to be forded, swamps and marshes had to be crossed, and large tracts of country often under water had to be traveled; but distance, difficulties and ceaseless labors neither discouraged nor checked this faithful physician in his untiring efforts to relieve the afflicted, honor his profession, and supply the wants of those dependent on him for support. These hard and indefatigable labors at last produced their effects; the vigorous constitution was impaired, and he who had been the embodiment of health, and had so successfully practiced the healing art upon others, became prematurely old and feeble, as all can testify who saw him totter on his staff during the few years before his death, which occurred December 14, 1868. Dr. Baldwin was married, April 19, 1835, to Mary J. Patterson, who was born July 13, 1817, in Harrison County, Ohio, daughter of John Patterson, who came to Findlay in 1834. In all the relations of life Dr. Baldwin was considerate, respectful, just and honorable, and enjoyed the highest esteem of all the people. He experienced the blessing of a saving peace under the ministry of Rev. J. Tibbals, and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in 184'2. He was unassuming and unswerving in all his Christian duties, and made all his worldly interests conform to these. Family worship was regularly attended to, besides which it was his custom, to the close of life, to retire into his closet several times each day, to commune with his God, so that when the Master called we may well believe it was with the words '' Well done, good and faithful servant, enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." At a meeting of the members of the medical profession of Findlay, Ohio, Drs. Spayth, Detwiller and F. W. Firmin were appointed a committee to draft resolutions, expressive of the feelings of the profession at their loss of Dr. Baldwin by death, and the following resolutions were presented and adopted: Resolved, That the medical profession of Findlay have heard with feelings of profound regret and sorrow of the death of our colleague, Dr. William H. Baldwin. Resolved, That in Dr. Baldwin we have always found the polite gentleman, the agreeable associate, the zealous student, and the attentive and skillful practitioner of medicine, always at his post of duty, despite its dangers and responsibilities. Retained, That we, members of the medical profession of Findlay, tender, individually and collectively, to the family of Dr. Baldwin, our deepest sympathy in their affliction, and assure them that we will always cherish the memory of our deceased associate with heartfelt gratitude. Resolved, That as a body we attend the funeral of Dr. Baldwin. Resolved, That a copy of these resolutions be transmitted to the family of Dr. Baldwin, and that they be published in the county papers. Mrs. Dr. Baldwin united with the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1836, and remained to her death a consistent and active Christian. She died February 5, 1881. She was attended during her last hours by her four surviving children: Mrs. W. S. Osborn and Miss E. E. Baldwin, New York City; John J., Ada, Ohio, and L. A. Mrs. Dr. Baldwin was highly respected by all who knew her, and esteemed most by those who knew her best. As a Christian she was quite unobtrusive and strongly averse to all parade. Her house before her death was always a home for Methodist Ministers, and many such recall with kindly feelings her generous hospitality in years gone by. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

L. A. BALDWIN, produce dealer, Findlay, was born in Findlay, this county, July 13, 1836. His father, Dr. William H. Baldwin, settled here, coming from Champaign County, Ohio, in 1830, and was for many years one of the leaders in the development of the then new country; he served Hancock County, as clerk of the common pleas court, from 1836 to 1843; he married here Mary Jane Patterson, who bore him ten children, of whom two sons and two daughters survive: L. A., John J., a produce dealer in Ada, Ohio; Elizabeth E. residing in Brooklyn, N. Y.; Mary Jane, wife of W. S. Osborn, a commission merchant in New York City, residing in Brooklyn. The subject of this sketch, when a lad, engaged in merchandising, with which he has since been connected. He spent four years in the drug trade at Mount Blanchard, where he also served as postmaster (this occurred during the war). After the Rebellion, he returned to Findlay and engaged in his present business, with which he has since been successfully connected. He married in Findlay, March 6, 1862, Ellen, daughter of the late John Decker, Esq. Mr. Baldwin has always held aloof from public office. He is a worthy member of the I. O. O. F., and is at present Grand High Priest of Ohio. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity. The Baldwins are descended from worthy Virginians and of Scotch-Irish pioneer stock in that State. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

ALFRED H. BALSLEY, publisher, Findlay, was born in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Penn., December 15, 1828, and resided in that city until the fall of 1853. At the age of twelve years, or in the fall of 1840, he obtained employment in the nail factory of Miltenberger & Brown, and remained there until the spring of 1841, when the iron mills and nail factories were shut down in consequence of the financial crisis and until the tariff of March 6, 1842, was passed; same year he became a "devil" in a printing office, where he learned the rudiments of the art, in which he acquired instruction from 1845 to 1847. He then worked alternately at either business until 1851, when he obtained a "case" on the Pittsburgh Dispatch, where he remained till the strike of 1853 again threw him out of employment. In the fall of that year he located at Painesville, Lake Co., Ohio, and published the Grand River Record until July of the following year, when he moved to St. Clairsville, Belmont Co., Ohio. There he remained until October, 1855, publishing the St. Clairsville Independent. Early in October he located at Plymouth, on the line of Richland and Huron Counties, having purchased the Plymouth Advertiser, the paper first established by "P. V. Nasby." Here he remained thirteen years. In the fall of 1868, having purchased the Fremont Journal, he removed to that city on the day Gen. Grant was first elected President of the United States, and there remained till the spring of 1876, when he purchased the Findlay Jeffersonian, removing here with his family in August of that year. He still retains the Jeffersonian, and November 15, 1880, brought out the Daily Jeffersonian, which has now become a necessity to the good people of the city. While located at Plymouth, in 1861, he was elected postmaster, serving acceptably eight years, or until his removal to Fremont. In 1861 he purchased the Shelby News, which he published till the spring of 1862. and then incorporated it with the Plymouth Advertiser. Soon after his removal to Fremont he established The Advertiser, at Milan, Erie Co., Ohio, which he still continues to publish, and, in 1874, began the publication of the Times at Huron, same county, but discontinued it after his removal to Findlay. In 1878 he purchased the Attica Journal, which he carried on in connection with his other papers, until the fall of the next year, when he sold it. He afterward purchased the Carey Times, the outside of which he still prints in his office at Findlay, as well as the outside of his most recent venture, the North Baltimore Beacon. Mr. Balsley, who has been twice married, had one child (a daughter, now Mrs. G. H. Tallman, of the Carey Times) by his first wife, and five sons and three daughters by his second; three sons and one daughter living: Alfred W., Rollin and Rollo (the last two twins) and Nellie M. Our subject has had reasonable success in business; owns a fine residence in Findlay; the block in which his office is situated, and several residences in the city of Fremont, Ohio, besides other real estate. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JOSEPH BARINGER, farmer, P. O. West Independence, was born June 16, 1822, in Hagerstown, Mil., son of Baltus and Mary (Killinger) Baringer, natives of Germany, and who came to Maryland in an early day and a few years later moved to Ohio, settling in Stark County in 1823 or 1824, where they remained for eight years, after which they removed to this county and settled in Big Lick Township. Here they entered land in Section 2, near what is now West Independence, and there resided until their death. They wore members of the Albright Church and were among the well-to-do farmers. They were parents of the following named children: Catherine, wife of A. Wyant; Joseph; John; Dolly, wife of D. Wyant; Caroline, wife of A. Wyant; Sarah, wife of J. Hoffman; Lucinda, wife of N. Bish; Lydia, wife of D. Dounsey; and Mary Susanna (deceased wife of T. Swift). Joseph Baringer required his early education in the pioneer schools and was reared a farmer, becoming an expert in that occupation. April 17, 1853, he married Sarah, daughter of David Young, and by her he has two children, David and Aaron; the latter married to Allie Smith; they have one child, John. Mr. Baringer now occupies the old home farm, consisting of 222 acres of excellent land under a good state of cultivation. On it there is an orchard, now in full bearing, which his mother planted. He has made many improvements on the farm, erecting good barns and other farm buildings, and, in 1862, he erected the fine brick residence which he now occupies. He is one of the skillful and successful farmers of Big Lick Township. In politics he is a Republican. The family are connected with the United Brethren Church. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

ROBERT BARNHILL, a prominent pioneer farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Mifflin County, Penn., March 17, 1809, son of Gabriel and Nancy (McCurdy Barnhill, natives of Pennsylvania. Gabriel Barnhill was one of the early farmers of Harrison County, Ohio, and filled the office of justice of the peace as early as 1812. His family consisted of eleven children, Robert being the second (he has two brothers and two sisters living). The subject of this sketch was reared on the old homo farm, and acquired his education in the common schools of that day. He came to this county in 1836, and settled in Liberty Township, which at that time was densely covered with forest. He assisted in clearing away the timber that they might have a few acres of land to cultivate, and whereon to raise the necessaries of life. His present farm consists of 140 acres of fine land, on which he and his family have made many improvements. Mr. Barnhill was united in marriage in Wayne County, Ohio, the fruits of which union were six children, three of whom survive: Agnos (wife of George Markley), Margaretta M. (wife of John Miller) and James (married to Elizabeth Ramsey). The deceased are Anderson, Sarah E. and Mary A. After the death of his first wife Mr. Barnhill became united in marriage with Mary A., daughter of Henry Keel, and the fruits of this union are Joseph (in Iowa, married to Sarah Loy), Robert (a farmer, married to Mary E. Dennis) and Eliza J. (wife of M. R. Longbrake). Mr. Longbrake was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, September 27, 1846, and chose farming as his life vocation. He was married in 1871, and had the following named children: May A., G. W., J. H. (deceased), A. V., William E., Myrtle and Belle Grace. The families are members of the Christian Union Church. Mr. Barnhill is school director and township trustee. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

T. G. BARNHILL, physician, Findlay, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, May 5, 1851; son of Joseph and Sarah (Frankhauser) Barnhill, former a native of that county, and of Pennsylvania pioneer ancestry, latter born in Pickaway County, Ohio. In 1853 they removed to this county and settled in Liberty Township, where they roared four sons and three daughters. T. G., who is the third child, received a good common school education, and at seventeen engaged in teaching; at eighteen he began the study of medicine in the office of Drs. Oesterlin & Detwiler, and in his twenty-second year graduated from the Cleveland Homoeopathic Hospital College class of 187B. He immediately began the practice of his profession in Findlay, and has been successfully connected with it since, introducing, in 1880, his valuable medicated baths. He married here, in 1874, Mary J., daughter of Conrad and Christina Renninger, pioneers of Liberty Township, this county, and they have one son, Joseph C. The Doctor is a public-spirited citizen, and contributes liberally to the advancement of Hancock County's interests. He is a worthy Odd Fellow, a member of the Legion of Honor; has served as coroner of the county three terms; county physician eleven successive years; has been a member of the Board of Education of Findlay; has just lately received his appointment as district physician by the Board of Health of Findlay. He is an active member of the American Public Health Association of the State Society of Ohio. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

DAVID R. BEESON, farmer, P. O., Arcadia, was born in Fayette County, Penn., September 13, 1827. He married, July 5, 1849, Elizabeth Sangston, and in 1854 they moved to Cass Township, this county, and settled on land which his father had entered in 1832. Here they began, in the woods, to clear and improve the farm to which they have since added, until they now own 232 acres of well-improved land. To David K. Beeson and wife have been born Martha A., now Mrs. Hosler; James E.; Eliza A., now Mrs. Frederick; John A.; Charles C.; Mary, now Mrs. Bish; David R. Jr.; Jacob E. Turley and Emma I. In addition to his general farming operations, Mr. Beeson has devoted considerable attention to buying and selling live-stock. During the war of the Rebellion he did an extensive business in dealing in horses for the United States Army. He has led a very active life, and his operations here have boon attended with uniform success. He is one of the representative farmers of Cass Township, and enjoys the respect of the entire community. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JACOB E. BEESON, farmer, P. O. Arcadia, was born in Fayette County, Penn., January 21,1819, son of James and Agnes Beeson, who resided in Fayette County until their death. Our subject married, in 1841, Eliza Dawson, who died in 184P), leaving two children, James and John (both now deceased). December 1, 1853, Mr. Beeson came to Cass Township, this county, and settled on a tract of land which had been entered by his father in 1832. Here he began improving his land, and June 20, 1869, he married Mrs. Elizabeth Bowring, a native of England and whose parents resided there until their death. She and her first husband, Benjamin W. Bowring, immigrated to Canada in 1857, and moved to the United States in 1859. Here Mr. Bowring lost his life in defense of the Union cause, in June, 1864, just one month before the expiration of his term of enlistment in the Union army. Of Mr. Bowring's five children only one is now living - Margaret Elizabeth, wife of Henry B. Edwards, of Putnam County, Ohio. Mr. Beeson has been an industrious man, and has acquired a farm of 224 acres of fine land. His youngest son, John, enlisted when but sixteen years of age and served three years and four months in the Army of the Cumberland; he died in November, 1865. Mr. Beeson is a Republican in politics.

ABRAHAM RUSSEL BELDEN, Findlay, was born in the city of New York, the youngest child of Richard Nathaniel and Hilah (Russell) Belden, the former a native of New London, Conn., and the latter of New York. At the death of his mother, our subject, when but six years of age, went to live at New London, Conn., and at twelve was sent to Wilbraham, Mass., to school, and at fourteen returned to New York, shipped on board the brig ' 'Paulina,'' and sailed for Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Ayres, South America; was absent nine months and then joined the ship "Canada," Radcliff Hicks, commander, on which he was clerk and supercargo for nearly five years on a trading voyage around the world, during which time he doubled Cape Horn four times, and Cape of Good Hope twice. He was in every quarter of the globe, at Valparaiso seven times, and lay at Canton nine months waiting for teas. He afterward sailed as mate on several vessels, losing one in coming into New York. The ship "Rienzi" was the last ship he sailed in, having been around the world twice. Mr. Belden gave up seafaring life, and, leaving New York, went to Louisville, Ky., where he remained for two years in the dry goods business; from there he went to Sandusky, Ohio, where he continued ten years in the drug trade, sold out in 1858 and came to Findlay, this county, and took charge of the Findlay Branch Railroad and elevators, and was largely interested in the grain, pork, salt and coal business for twenty-four years; was also United States Express agent for sixteen years. At that time this was a great grain point, and one day he took in 10,000 bushels of wheat off of wagons, and would average from 400,000 to 500,000 bushels a year. He has paid out to merchants and farmers for grain as much as any other person living here, if not more. He was married, in 1861, to Sadie E. Bope, of Lancaster, Ohio, and they have five children - four daughters and one son. The eldest, Sadie Estell, was married October, 1883, to Charles R. Huffman, and lives in Battle Creek, Mich., Mr. Huffman being in the grocery business at that place; Grace Russell, James C., Carrie E. and Mary Edna; are all living with their parents in Findlay. Mr. Belden is now in the real estate and insurance business, which he expects to continue in, the residue of his life. He is of English descent, and looks and feels as if he was just m the prime of life, though he is past sixty. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

CHARLES H. BIGELOW, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born on his present farm, in Findlay Township, this county, June 5, 1854, son of Philip Doddridge and Harriet H. (Frisbie) Bigelow, natives of Vermont, the former of whom came to this county July 4, 1841, and sold goods for a time, but subsequently engaged in farming, in which latter industry he accumulated nearly 300 acres of farm land and some fine town property in Findlay, Ohio. Philip D. Bigelow was always known as a leader in his vocations as well as in his public life. He served with credit in different local offices and upon the board of appraisement of Findlay Township, this county, in 1859-60, subsequently becoming a member of the State Board of Equalization. He was an exemplary member and worthy official of the Presbyterian Church. In politics he was a stanch Republican. He died August 13, 1868, leaving a handsome competence to his family and an honored name among public and social circles, and this county may well feel proud of his record. His widow is still living. The other surviving members of his family are a daughter and two sons: Ella Jane, wife of George L. Cusac, Esq., a merchant of Findlay, Ohio; Frank F., a farmer, married to Viola A. Stephenson (they have three children: Clarence, Edna and Ethel), and Charles H., who is married to Flora May, daughter of H. M. Vance, Esq., of Findlay (they have one son, Bernard). In politics Charles H. Bigelow is a Republican; his father was also a stanch Republican. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JAMES A. BOPE, lawyer, Findlay, was born in Winchester, Adams Co., Ohio, November 30, 1833. His ancestors on the paternal side, were Moravians. At the age of sixteen his grandfather did duty as a soldier at the battle of Yorktown, and emigrated from Rockingham County, Va., about the year 1804. The family name was originally Pope, but has been altered in some of the branches into Bope. Our subject's father, Philip Bope, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, and was a merchant. Our subject, on his mother's side (whose maiden name was Eliza Weaver) is of Scotch and German stock. James A. Bope lived in Adams County, Ohio, until he was six years of age, when the family moved to Lancaster, Fairfield Co., Ohio, where his father continued in mercantile business. Our subject then attended the public schools until he was ten years of age, when he went into his father's store, where he remained until he was seventeen. He then attended Wittenberg College, Springfield, Ohio, and remained at that institution five years, graduating in 1855, when he commenced the study of law with Hunter & Daugherty, at Lancaster, Ohio. He was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1857, commenced to practice at Lancaster in 1858, and removed to Findlay in 1859. In July, 1862, he was elected captain of Company D, Ninety-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and while storming earthworks at Atlanta was wounded and sent home. Subsequently recovering from his wounds he returned to his regiment, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel, in command of the Fiftieth and Ninety-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. This occurred in North Carolina, in the spring of 1865. Altogether he was wounded four times. He continued in the service until he was mustered out, in July, 1865, when he returned to Findlay, Ohio, and resumed the practice of law. Mr. Bope has the reputation of being an exceedingly careful and conscientious lawyer. He has been thoroughly and classically educated, and has carried into the profession the scholarly habits acquired in a collegiate course. His papers are industriously and accurately prepared, and have often received the encomiums of the court. He has a high regard for the honor and dignity of the profession, and discredits everything that would degrade it. He enjoys a large and growing practice, and is frequently called to do business in the United States Courts. He prefers civil to criminal practice, but practices with success in all branches of the profession. May 7, 1861, Mr. Bope married Miss Martha, daughter of Rev. John S. Meeks, formerly pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Findlay, but now preaching near that town. They have had four children, two of whom are living. In politics Mr. Bope is a Republican. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

HENRY BROWN, State Attorney for Hancock County, Findlay, was born in Albion, Orleans Co., N. Y., November 5, 1826, son of Oliver and Sarah (Wiltz) Brown, the former a son of Benjamin and Sarah (Cass) Brown, of Welsh and English pioneer descent in Rhode Island and New Hampshire, respectively; the Wiltz family were of Holland pioneer stock on the Hudson River, in New York State. Oliver and Sarah Brown were born on the Hudson River, New York, and reared eight sons, of whom Benjamin died in Humboldt County, Cal., leaving a family; Hiram is a farmer in Ionia, Mich.; Anthony is a mechanic in Findlay; Jeptha is a farmer in Wyandot County, Ohio; Ezra is an attorney and justice of the peace in Findlay; Alfred, who died without issue, was a farmer in Fostoria, Wood County; Franklin is a farmer in Albion, N. Y., and Henry, the youngest child. Our subject obtained a good literary and classical education at the academy in Albion, his native city, and became a clever linguist, especially in Latin and Greek. At the age of eighteen he came West, and was engaged in teaching in the vicinity of Fostoria, meantime reading law in the office of the Hon. Warren P. Noble, an eminent member of the Tiffin bar, and was admitted to practice in 1848. He soon after located in the practice of his profession here with Edson Goit and A. H. Bigelow, with whom he remained successfully engaged for a few years. Upon the dissolution of this partnership he united with Aaron Blackford, with whom be remained for a few years, retiring from this partnership to accept the office of auditor of Hancock County, to which he had been elected, retiring at the end of his term for a few years from all active professional work, on account of ill health. He had during his partnership with Mr. Blackford united with that gentleman in the proprietorship of the Hancock Courier, which he ably edited for about six years. In this connection it may be said to his credit that among the many progressive interests advocated by him, that of the railway enterprises (which were calling the attention of the people of this portion of the West) demanded considerable recognition, wherein he originated and recommended a project of a connection of the Lake Erie and the Ohio River, the germ of the present Lake Erie & Western Railway. After recuperating his health he returned to active professional work again. In 1862 he was appointed to fill a vacancy in the county attorney's office, to which he was elected for the two succeeding terms. Retiring, in 1867, from this incumbency, his many friends, recognizing his sterling worth, brought him before the convention of 1868 for the nomination as candidate of his party for the senatorial honors of this district, which was then largely Republican. He received a very unanimous nomination and carried the ticket largely, reducing the hitherto majority of 2,200 to but 227 votes. In 1875 he accepted the nomination of attorney for Hancock County, and was elected, succeeding himself the following term, 1877-79, and again in 1884. Mr. Brown has always been a worthy and hard-working public official, and has held a respectful recognition from all parties. In his earlier years he served with credit upon the board of school examiners for the county, and has been an active member of the board of education of Findlay. Upon the organization of the First National Bank of Findlay he became a stockholder and one of the board of directors, and served it as its attorney for several years. Mr. Brown was married in Findlay in 1858, to Hannah E. Stiles, a widow lady of estimable attainments, daughter of the late Hugh Newell, the union being blessed with two sons and two daughters: Sally T., a lady of fine literary attainments, a teacher in Mansfield, Ohio; Henry Wiltz, an apprentice journalist; Kittie and Carl Parker at home. The family attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which Mrs. Brown is an active worker in the field of Christianity and temperance. Mr. Brown is tall, of slight proportions, but of a vigorous disposition which has only too often had its set back by poor health. He is, however, of an amiable character and versatile nature, which, together with his broad professional principles have given him rank among the leading brethren of his profession in this portion of the State. Mr. Brown for many years was the favorite stump speech-maker of his county, and always drew large audiences, composed of both political parties, because of his candor and sincere manner of treating the subjects discussed. He has never been desirous of being nominated for Congress, but has been on one or two occasions put forward as the choice of Hancock County and cordially supported for the nomination; and might, on several occasions have received a nomination for Congress had he put forth any effort in his own behalf. Mr. Brown has also been highly recommended and urged to accept the nomination of judge of Hancock Common Pleas, but has as often declined to be a candidate. He is a F. & A. M., and in politics a Democrat. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

SAMUEL J. BROWN, restaurant and saloon keeper, Findlay, was born in Medina County, Ohio, August 1, 1846, son of Ephraim H. and Eliza M. McConnel Brown, natives of Pennsylvania who settled in this county from Medina County, Ohio, in an early day. They now reside in Arcadia, this county. Their family consists of one son and three daughters: Ellen Jane, wife of David Brubacher, of Wood County, Ohio; Rachel, wife of C. Roller, of Arcadia, this county; Martha, wife of Philip Ruch, of Fostoria, Seneca Co., Ohio, and Samuel J. The subject of this sketch spent his early life on a farm in Cass Township, this county, and at the age of eleven years began clerking in the store of David Peters, of Arcadia, Ohio, where he spent five years. He next sold goods in Fostoria, Ohio, and March 8, 1863, came to Findlay, where he was in same line for several years. In 1875 he embarked in the boot and shoe trade in company with Mr. Schuch, which partnership continued until 1883 when our subject retired from same and went into the restaurant and saloon business, with which he has been prominently identified since. Mr. Brown has always taken an active part in matters tending to the development of Findlay, and while being averse to holding public office, has served with credit in the councils of the city. He is a worthy member of the Masonic order; a polite and amiable gentleman; and, although possessed of all the fine qualifications essential to the making of a good husband, he is still treading the thorny paths of celibacy. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JACOB F. BURKET, lawyer, Findlay, was born March 25, 1837, near Somerset, Perry Co., Ohio, son of Solomon Burket who was of Swiss descent. One of his ancestors, who came from Switzerland and settled near Lancaster, Penn., had two sons, John and Jacob Burket, who were the progenitors of the Burket family in this country. The grandfather of our subject, John Burket, who served in the Revolutionary war, emigrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio and lived to the advanced age of ninety-six years. Mr. Burket's mother, Mary (Brehm) Burket, whose father was also in the Revolutionary war and emigrated from Pennsylvania to this State, was of German extraction. In September, 1839, the Burket family moved from Perry to this county. This region was then a forest; settlers were few and the country was sparsely inhabited. Young Burket went to the log schoolhouse and had at the same time to do work on the farm. When he was ten years of age his father died leaving a widow with nine children, of whom Jacob F. is the youngest son. When he reached the age of seventeen he removed to Findlay and was apprenticed to his brother-in-law, Jacob Folk, for the purpose of learning the carpenter's trade. The term of apprenticeship was for two years, one of its conditions being that he should receive three months' schooling in the winter. After having worked for him thirteen months, his brother-in-law's health failed, whereupon, by mutual agreement, the indentures were canceled. June 4, 1855, he began teaching at Lewisville, Blanchard Township. Having taught for three years he attended a very excellent select school at Vanlue, in Hancock County, the proprietor being Mr. William K. Leonard; completing his term he returned to his trade (carpentering) for a time, engaging in mechanical labor in the summer and teaching school in winter and attending school in the fall and spring. In 1859 he entered an academy at Republic, Seneca Co., Ohio. The principal of this institution was Mr. A. Schuyler now professor of mathematics in the Baldwin University at Berea. Prof. Schuyler was the author of works on logic and algebra. From this gentleman Mr. Burket received a thorough training in logic which has been of great advantage to him in the legal profession. June 29, 1859, he commenced reading law with Judge Palmer (since deceased) and having remained with him a little more than a year, he entered the office of Goit and Brown, in the meanwhile teaching school every winter. July 1, 1861, he was admitted to the bar when he commenced the practice of his profession at Ottawa, Putnam Co., Ohio, where he remained until April, 1862. On the 16th of that month he opened an office in Findlay, and September 7, of that year entered into partnership with Henry Brown under the firm name of Brown and Burket, which was dissolved May 1, 1869, since which time Mr. Burket has been alone in his practice. While working at carpentering he, on one occasion, attended court, and becoming intensely interested in the proceedings, he resolved to be a lawyer, and since he was admitted to the bar he has been a devotee to his profession. Mr. Burket has an extensive practice in the State and Federal Courts, and has encountered some of the most distinguished lawyers in the country, and has been highly complimented by his professional brethren for the clear manner in which he expounds the principles of law which underlie a case. He is stockholder and director in the First National Bank of Findlay, and was a director of the Findlay Savings and Building Loan Association, and has acted as attorney for both these institutions. He has conducted much litigation for the latter and never lost a case. He was married in the year 1859, to Miss Pamy D. Walters, of Lenawee, Mich. They have had six children - five sons and one daughter - all of whom are living. In politics Mr. Burket is a Republican; he was one of the electors in the presidential contest of 1880, and still has in his possession the tickets by him voted for James A. Garfield and Chester A. Arthur in the Electoral College held in the Senate Chamber, at Columbus, Ohio. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

ABSALOM P. BYAL, Findlay, was born in Stark County, Ohio, June 19, 1821. In September, 1833, his father, William Byal, with his family, consisting of wife and four children, Absalom P. Amy C., William W. and Sarah J., settled in this county on land partly the present site of Findlay, and soon after another child, Samuel A., was born. Our subject, although a mere lad, was brought face to face with the realities of life incident to the settling of a new country. At that early day the motto of the pioneers was "honesty, industry and economy," and an adherence to this motto was absolutely necessary in order to secure even a scanty living. Under such discipline Absalom P. Byal formed habits that have characterized his life and provided him a competency in his declining years, with the appellation of an honest man. In December, 1833, when he was but a few months over twelve years of age he was sent on horseback by his father from Findlay to Union County, Ohio. The route was through Wyandot Reservation and a new, wild country, and the melting of a deep snow had so swollen the Scioto River that it was necessary to swim the horse over. The stream was quite high, and in some places twelve miles intervened without a house, but Mr. Byal made the round trip in safety. Our subject's father died when the former was eighteen years of age, and some months afterward Absalom P. told his mother he would like to learn a trade, to which she replied that it would please her, but if he left home the happy family would soon scatter, as she could not support them; '' then,'' said he, "I will never leave home until the family can take care of themselves," and he faithfully fulfilled his promise. In September, 1845, Mr. Byal married Miss Sarah A. Youngkin, who died in May, 1865, leaving four children. About three years after the death of his first wife our subject was married to Miss Sallie Maveety, the union resulting in two children: Nellie and George, the former of whom, at the age of three years, was drowned by falling down a well. Mr. Byal received a common district school education, and subsequently studied the higher branches of mathematics, including surveying. He read law and was admitted to the bar, but preferred and followed farming. He was elected sheriff of this county in 1846, resigned in 1848, and was at once appointed clerk of the court of common pleas, which position he filled until the close of 1854. In 1872 he was elected justice of the peace for Findlay Township, serving one term. He was a member of the convention of 187374 to revise and amend the constitution of the State, and was a member of the House in the sixty-sixth General Assembly of Ohio, and has just been re-elected to the same. In politics Hon. Absalom P. Byal is a Democrat. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

HENRY BYAL, retired farmer, Findlay, was born in Stark County, Ohio, March 23, 1817, son of John and Elizabeth (Newstutter) Byal. He is the fourth in descent from Byal, who settled in Baltimore, Md., from Paris, France. Elizabeth Newstutter was a daughter of Henry Newstutter, who served as a Hessian soldier with the British under Burgoyno was captured at Saratoga and never exchanged. He came to Ohio in 1809 and settled in Stark County. John Byal came with his father, William, to Ohio in 1809, when a lad, and after spending twenty-three years in Stark County moved to this county in 1832, where William died in 1840, followed by his son John in 1853 (his widow surviving him about six years). They left a family of nine children -four sons and five daughters. Our subject, when a young man, worked on a farm and attended the saw-mill of his father. Upon reaching manhood he engaged in farming, and cleared up a nice place for himself, which he rented in 1847 and embarked in merchandising in Putnam County; retiring from that after seven years' successful experience, he returned to Findlay, where he has been identified with many different interest| since, principally, however, in buying and selling real estate. He was married, in 1842, to Dorotha Comer, who bore him one son and three daughters, of whom Mary Elizabeth, wife of S. D. Houpt, is the only survivor. In 1860 Mrs. Byal passed away her life in full communion with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is buried in Maple Grove Cemetery with her children: Squire C., Amanda and Ida. In 1862 Mr. Byal was again united in marriage, this time with Mary, daughter of the late Jacob Lamb. Mr. and Mrs. Byal attend services at the Presbyterian Church, of which he has been an efficient official. He has always been a cordial supporter of measures tending to the advancement of the interests of Hancock County, and has served this city and township in useful official positions. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



DAVID BEAGLE, merchant, Houcktown, was born May 17, 1846, in Muskingum County. Ohio, son of John and Matilda (Selson) Beagle, natives of Frederick County, Md., and who, after living twenty years in Muskingum County, Ohio, came, in 1852, to Jackson Township, this county, and purchased n farm on which they resided until their death; Mr. Beagle died April 20, 1861, and Mr. Beagle January 10, 1874, in his seventy-eighth year. Their children are Martin, Eli, Alva, Mrs. Eliza Tracy, John, Mrs. Elizabeth French, Mrs. Sarah Waltermire, Mrs. Hester Shearer, David, George T. (all living in this part of the State except George T. who resides in Jay County, Ind.), and an infant (deceased). Our subject enlisted, May 1, 1864, in the One Hundred and Thirty third Ohio Volunteer Infantry. His regiment was assigned to the Army of the Potomac and took part in the Virginia campaigns. He received his discharge with his regiment, leaving an honorable record as a brave and faithful soldier, and, returning home, again engaged in farming. He was united in marriage, June 23, 1867, with Miss Sarah M. Waltermire, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Waltermire. In 1876 Mr. Beagle moved to Houcktown and established a boot and shoe shop which he carried on for two years. In 1878 he engaged in merchandising, and he has a general store carrying a complete stock of dry goods, groceries, hats, caps, boots and shoes, hardware and notions. He is a lifelong Republican; was appointed postmaster of Houcktown in 1878, which office he filled to the entire satisfaction of the people until March, 1865, when he voluntarily resigned. Mrs. Beagle departed this life October 25, 1884, leaving four children: Frank, Carrie J., Charley and Jessie M. October 29, 1885, Mr. Beagle was again married, on this occasion to Emma, daughter of Thompson and Nancy (Siddall) Myers, who came from Mahoning County, Ohio, to this county about the year 1848, and have since resided here. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]





CHARLES BENROTH, farmer, P. O. Bluffton, Allen County, a native of Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, born November 6, 1836, near the city of Mainz, son of Charles and Hannah (Schueler) Benroth (the former a cooper by trade), who died in their native country. They were the parents of six children: Charles, Anthony (deceased), Susan (deceased), Adam (deceased), Henry, in Putnam County, Ohio, and George in Allen County, Ohio. Our subject came to America in 1854, worked a short time on a farm near Baltimore, Md., lived in Lebanon County, Penn., two years, then came to Richland County, Ohio, where he remained about four years, and in 1861 removed to Allen County, Ohio, and in 1866 came to Orange Township, this county. He has cleared up a farm, and is an industrious citizen. Mr. Benroth married, January 28, 1860, Melinda Light, of Richland County, Ohio, a native of Lebanon County, Penn., born February 14, 1841, daughter of David and Mary A. (Crate) Light, natives of Pennsylvania and parents of nine children, of whom seven are now living: Malinda (Mrs. Benroth); Cyrus, Mary and Henry, in Allen County, Ohio; Amos and Rosannah, in Putnam County, Ohio, and Samuel, in Sumner County, Kas. The father died in Richland County, Ohio; the mother now resides in Bluffton, Allen Co., Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Benroth are parents of nine children: Mary C. (deceased), John O., Margaret E. (deceased), Charles F., Henry A. (deceased), Susan O., George W., Milton H. and Harry C. In politics Mr. Benroth is a Republican. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

ELMER C. BOLTON
The above named gentleman, at present holding the responsible position of engineer of Hancock county, deserves especial notice among the young men who have achieved exceptional success in difficult lines of employment though scarcely thirty years of age. Mr. Bolton has been connected with the engineering department of the county or city ever since leaving school, and has exhibited an aptitude for the work that bespeaks the born mechanic. In fact, Mr. Bolton is regarded as one of the brightest and most promising of the county's young men, his friends predicting for him higher and better things than any so far achieved. Though not a native, all his adult life has been spent in Hancock county, and he is so thoroughly identified with its interests as to deserve rank among her most loyal sons. Elmer C. Bolton was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, October 19, 1873, and when nine years of age was brought to Ohio by his parents. They located in Hancock county, and here Elmer received his education in Findlay College, supplemented by a course in the Ohio Normal University at Ada. He left the last mentioned institution in 1894 and shortly thereafter obtained employment as a helper in the office of the engineer of Hancock county. Two years later he became a candidate for the office of engineer, and at the fall election in 1896 was defeated by only fourteen votes. In January, 1807, the legislature extended the term of several county officers, among the number being that of engineer, and Mr. Bolton was appointed by the county commissioners to fill out a term of eight months in that office expiring in September, 1897. At the expiration of that time he was appointed engineer of Findlay by the city council, and served in that office from September I, 1897, until June 1, 1900. In the fall of 1899 he had been elected county engineer for a term of three years, and took charge of his office shortly after finishing his service with the city. Mr. Bolton finds relief from business cares by social communion with his fellows in various fraternities, including the Masons, Elks and Knights of Pythias. Benjamin F. Bolton, father of this popular young official, who was born in Hancock county in 1848 is at present engaged in the insurance business at Findlay, and in one of the respected citizens of the place. September 25, 1901, Mr. Bolton was united in marriage to Miss Dena Singleton, of Findlay, daughter of M. C. and Jennie Singleton. In politics Mr. Bolton is a Republican and was nominated September 6, 1902, for re-election to the position he was then holding.
[Source: Centennial Biographical history of Hancock County, Ohio New York :: Lewis Pub. Co., 1903]


NIMROD W. BRIGHT. Jr., farmer, P. O. Vaulue, born March 7, 1865, in Big Lick Township, Hancock County. Ohio, is a son of Major and S. S. (Fairman) Bright, natives of Ohio, and a great-grandson of Major Bright, who located or entered 3,000 acres of land in Amanda Township, this county, and was an extensive stock raiser and one of the oldest pioneers of this county. His son, Nimrod, Sr., the grandfather of our subject, one of the largest land-holders and stock raisers in the county, resides in the village of Vanlue, this county. He is a thorough farmer, and held at one time as much land as his father, and perhaps more; he and his brother, John C., were pioneer ministers. The father of our subject is a well-to-do farmer, occupying lands in Amanda Township, this county, and, like his ancestors, has given his children land and educated them to become thorough farmers. His children are Elizabeth (wife of Melvin Ewing), Emma L. (wife of E. Wilcox), an infant (deceased) and Nimrod W., Jr. Our subject is a young man of promise, and has received an education equal to his day. He is a man of quick perception and good judgment, and has become an efficient teacher, a profession he follows during the winters. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

FRED BROBST, proprietor of saw-mill, P. O. Findlay, was born in Germany, April 16, 1851. His mother died when he was but seven years old, and his father, Joseph Brobst, brought him to America soon after. Joseph Brobst, being a poor man, put young Fred out to work on a farm in Henry County, Ohio, and for several years the son saw nothing of his father. When still young, Fred came to this county and worked one year at the carpenter trade; afterward attended the high school in Findlay, an subsequently worked on a farm for John Schoonover for five years. In 1871 he embarked in his present enterprise, saw-milling, which he has since followed with marked success. In 1875 Mr. Brobst was united in marriage with Miss Samilda, daughter of John Schoonover, and they have one child, Harvey. Mr. and Mrs. Brobst are members of the United Brethren Church, of which he has been trustee and class-leader, and in all the affairs of which he takes a deep interest. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

G. W. BROWN, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, was born in Marion Township, this county, October 4, 1844, son of William and Octavia (Kendle) Brown, natives of Virginia. William Brown came to Ohio about 1835 and rented land in Marion Township, this county, and in 1837 he entered land in Section 32, Big Lick Township, this county, where he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives. They were parents of seven children: William; Jackson; Mary A., widow of Mr. Flenner; Sarah, married to Amos Treeco (both are now deceased); Harriet, wife of G. W. Corbin; Octavia, wife of Henry Cross, and G. W. The subject of this sketch enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, August 15, 1862, and served three years, during which time he participated in the campaigns through Georgia and Tennessee, taking active part in all the prominent battles of those campaigns. He became badly crippled from rheumatism but otherwise escaped injury, with the exception of a few slight bruises. He retired from the service in July, 1865, and June 20, 1867, he was married to Julia A., daughter of Charles Cross, of Amanda Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Brown reside on the old home farm, a fine piece of land in Section 32, of Big Lick Township. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

H. F. BROWN, farmer and stock raiser, lumberman and manufacturer, P. O. McComb, was born in Ashland County, Ohio, April 19, 1830, son of Thomas H. and Susannah (Sours) Brown, natives of Ireland and Pennsylvania, respectively. Thomas H. Brown, who was a farmer, came from Now York and settled on a farm in Ashland County, Ohio. His family consisted of twelve children, ten of whom grew to maturity, our subject being the ninth. H.F. Brown was reared on the farm, educated in the district school in Ashland County, Ohio, and chose agricultural pursuits as his occupation. In 1854 he came to this county and settled in the northeast corner of Blanchard Township, where he bought 160 acres of land. He now owns 225 acres where he resides, and at one time owned 400 acres. He started a saw-mill in Portage Township, this county, in 1864 or 1865, and still operates the mill in McComb. He manufactures and repairs wagons and carnages, and owns the shop in McComb. He also contracts to build pikes, and in 1884 he constructed 200 rods. Our subject was united in marriage, in 1850, with Mary A., daughter of William Ewing; her parents were natives of Pennsylvania and of Dutch descent. The children born to this union are William, Alice J., Elizabeth Melvina and Thomas Jefferson. Mrs. Brown died in 1862, and in 1864 Mr. Brown was again married, this time to Mary W. Ray, daughter of Gyant and Sarah (Morrison) Ray, who were of Dutch and Scotch-English descent. By this union six children were born, four of whom are now living: Nettie Gertrude, Frankie, Florence and Henry B. Mrs. Brown is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Brown of the Lutheran Church. In politics he is a Republican. He has filled the office of trustee for three terms. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and has taken all the degrees in the subordinate lodge. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

BENJAMIN F. BURNAP, P. O. Vanlue, born January 30, 1837, in Columbus, Ohio; is a son of Daniel G. and Harriet (Baker) Burnap, natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania respectively, and who were married June 2, 1822. Daniel G. Burnap, by profession a physician, came to Ohio about the year 1818 and settled near Lancaster, in Fairfield County, where he had quite an extensive practice. He afterward moved to Orange Township, Delaware County, and there died. His widow became the wife of William D. Whitney, a merchant, who moved in 1850 to Mt. Blanchard, this county, where he kept a grocery, and later they removed to Vanlue, Ohio. Mrs. Harriet Whitney died in Vanlue February 19, 1869. There were seven children in the first family: John (deceased in California), Lampson S., Angeline R. (wife of Henry Cockrell), Eliza B. (wife of E. Ellis), Benjamin F., James K. and Daniel G. Daniel G. Burnap was a man of considerable talent and natural tact. His son, Benjamin F., the subject of this sketch, has engaged extensively in land speculations in the West, where he has at the present time several hundred acres; he also owns a fine farm in Amanda Township, this county, and a saw and planing-mill, picture gallery and harness shop, in Vanlue, Ohio. He taught school for many terms, and has filled the office of mayor of Vanlue; he has been school director, and held the office of justice of the peace for six years, elected in a Democratic township although he is a Republican in politics. He married, in 1877, Nancy J. Howard, and by her has one son, Guy F. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

GEORGE H. BURNET, P. O. Hassan, a native of Orange Township, Hancock Co., Ohio, born February 25, 1858, is a son of Seth S. and Sarah (Hay) Burnet, both natives of Ohio, and who married in this county and were the parents of twelve children: Mary A., Lomira (deceased), Seth S. (deceased), Eliza L., Sarah A., Ethan K., George H. and Susannah (twins, the latter deceased), Polly and Zillah (twins), Christena and Nettie G. (latter deceased). The father, who was a shoe-maker and tanner by trade, giving also some attention to carpenter work, died at Nashville, Tenn., in 1863, while in the service of his country, and the mother now resides on the homestead farm with our subject. George H. Burnet married, October 14, 1880, Miss Mina Curry, of Van Buren Township, this county, daughter of Charlie and Hannah E. (Agin) Curry, who were early located in this county, but removed to Ionia County, Mich., where Mr. Curry died; his widow now resides in Van Buren Township, this county. They were the parents of two children: Mina and Bertha. Mr. and Mrs. Burnet have two children: Charles F. and Edgar E. Mr. Burnet is a Republican in politics. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. He gives his attention to farming, and operates a threshing-machine in the season.

GEORGE L. BURNS, farmer, P. O. Bluffton, Allen County, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., February 4, 1831, son of Esdras R. and Catharine (Dull) Burns, natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania, respectively, who settled in Orange Township, this county, about 1837, where, after many years of hard labor incident to pioneer life, they ended their days. At the age of nineteen years our subject began the trade of cabinetmaking, which he followed two years, giving some attention to wagon making also for a short time; but he finally adopted the carpenters trade which he followed for fifteen years. He purchased land and began farming in 1862, and now owns 120 acres of farm land. Mr. Burns married, July 29, 1873, Marilla Philips, of Orange Township, this county, a native of Iowa and daughter of Aaron Philips, who lived for several years in this county, but finally remov6d to Michigan where he died. His wife died in Iowa several years prior to his death; of their family only three girls survive: Mrs. Burns, and her two sisters, Abigail and Julia, who now reside in Ionia County, Mich. Mr. and Mrs. Burns have three children: Charles E., Safrona M. and Golden L [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

JOHN D. BURNS, farmer, P. O. Cordelia, born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., December 12, 1826, is the eldest son of Esdras R. and Catharine (Dull) Burns, natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania, respectively, the former of Scotch and the latter of German descent, both deceased. Edward Burns, father of Esdras R. Burns and grandfather of John D. Burns, was pressed into the English service, and was brought to Quebec, Canada; while there he and two other British soldiers deserted from the British service, came over to the States and joined the American Army, and fought on the side of Liberty in the Revolutionary war. Esdras R. Burns married in Chautauqua County, N. Y., and in 1834 moved to Geauga County, Ohio, remaining for a few years, then to Ashtabula County, and in 1837 came to Orange Township, this county, where he entered land and reared a family of five children: John D., Mary A., George L., Samuel M. and William S.; Samuel M. resides in Allen County, Ohio; William S. is in Kansas; the others reside in this county. John D. Burns married, in 1851, Miss Susaa Goldman of Findlay Township, this county, a native of Lebanon County, Penn., and daughter of Peter and Mary (Painter) Goldman, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent, who married in Lebanon County, Penn. and moved to Richland County, Ohio, about 1837, and from there to this county in 1842; both are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Burns have a family of five children: Mary C., Esdras H., Melinda E., Dora L., Edward S. Esdras H. resides in Jay County, Ind., and Melinda E. in Hardin County, Ohio. Mr. Burns has improved many acres of land. He has served his township in several of its offices, and has been an ardent advocate of the principles of the Democratic party. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

AARON FENTON BURSON, retired physician, Mt. Blanchard, was born August 27, 1812, in Loudoun County, Va., son of George and Susanna (Kent) Burson, who settled in Columbians County, Ohio, in 1818. They reared a family of nine children, the Doctor being their seventh child. After receiving a literary education our subject entered upon the study of medicine, in 1829, under the celebrated Dr. George McCook, Professor of Surgery in the University at Baltimore, Md., and father of Gen. McCook. Dr. Bureon completed his coiirse in the Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati, and in 1832 began the practice of his chosen profession at Mt. Blanchard, this county, where he has since resided. He was the first physician in Delaware Township, and also the first physician in this part of the county. ' He was widely known for his skill and success in treating milk-sickness and the numerous malarial troubles which afflicted the pioneers of the early days. He built .up a very large practice, which extended into parts of several of the adjoining counties, and, on retiring, in 1862. he found it very difficult to relinquish his connection. But. having acquired a competency, and finding that, after having practiced medicine for over thirty years, further active interest in the profession would be injurious to his health, he retired, and for years has devoted himself to experimental chemistry. Dr. Burson has discovered a process for producing engravings by light and electricity, a process by which a reproduction of photographs, drawings, engravings, etc., can be produced in the most minute detail, and either in relievo or intaglio, as desired. A brief outline of his process, which the Doctor has named " Helio-chemical Engraving," may be here given: A metal plate is first highly polished, then sensitized to light and placed under the drawing, photograph or other object desired to be reproduced. It is then exposed to the light for a short time, and after certain manipulations, the plate is placed in the decomposition cell of a galvanic battery, and left there long enough to receive a metallic deposit, which elevates the lights and leaves the shades sunken, so that the shades will hold ink, and impressions can be taken from the plate by means of a press; or, after silver or gold has been deposited on the lights, the plate itself may be framed and kept, the same as a photograph, engraving or other picture. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

CAMPBELL BYAL (deceased), son of John and Elizabeth (Newstutter) Byal, was born in 1835, and reared on the farm which he subsequently owned, in Findlay Township, this county. He took great pride in this property, and built upon and improved it until he had made it one of the most beautiful farms in Hancock County. Campbell Byal always took an active interest in the development of the social and industrial life of this locality, and was for many years a prominent spirit in the United Brethren Church, but the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion created considerable dissension in that body, and Mr. Byal chose a quiet retirement from church matters. He served as infirmary director two terms, and as member of the school board of his district for several terms, also in many township offices. He was happily married in this county to Anna, daughter of Joel and Amy (Sherman) Pendleton, and to them were born three sons and one daughter: John Melville, Nora M., Clement L. and Leslie L. Campbell Byal departed this life August 11, 1881, and his remains are buried in Maple Grove Cemetery. [Source: "History of Hancock County", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails