Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line
[Please confirm all data with the original source]


JOSEPH CARVER, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born October 10, 1808, in Northampton Township, Bucks Co. ,Penn., is a son of Robert and Mary (Smith) Carver, natives of Pennsylvania, and who died in that State. Our subject came to Ohio in 1855 and settled in Amanda Township, this county. He first moved into a cabin called '' The Ashery,'' and soon after entered eighty acres of land on which he still lives (having improved it from the primitive forest); to this he has since added forty acres. His children were eight in all, five of whom are yet living: John; Martha, wife of William Gorden; Mary, wife of S. Lee; Elizabeth, wife of D. Kimble; Ellen, wife of W. Morehead. John married Miss Orwie (their children are Dora M., Anna E., William P., Robert, Ida E., Elizabeth and Rosa). He is the only son of Joseph Carver now living, and has charge of the old home farm. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


CORNELIUS CLARK, retired farmer, Vanlue, born in Fairfield County, Ohio, January 12, 1804, is a son of Horatio and Rebecca (Lane) Clark, natives of Pennsylvania, whose parents came to Ohio in 1799 and purchased 640 acres of land in what is now Bloom Township, Fairfield County, and remained there until their death. Their children, ten in number, were reared on the banks of Walnut Creek. The lands entered by Horatio Clark are held by the Clark family to-day. For some years there were two Indian villages near the Clark homestead. Cornelius Clark, now in his eighty-second year, is an intelligent old gentleman, full of life and vigor. He married, in 1826, Elizabeth Stephens, who bore him thirteen children. She died in December, 1883. Those of their children still living are Lewis C., Horatio, Cornelius, Mary, wife of Jacob Slike (have six children), Clara, wife of Henry Putnam (have five children), Wilkison, Van Buren, William, Luther C. and Erwin. Wilkison and Van Buren are living on the old Clark homestead farm in Fairfield County. William, Luther C. and Erwin also live in Fairfield County. Cornelius Clark came to Hancock County in 1864 and bought the old Daniel Beck farm, now owned by his son Luther C. Clark. Our subject lives a retired life with his widowed daughter, Mrs. Alspach, in Vanlue, Ohio. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOSEPH W. CLASON, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard; born September, 1827, in Stamford, Conn., is a son of Benjamin and Nancy (Ayres) Clason, natives of Connecticut, both of whom died in that State. Benjamin Clason was the father of seven children, four of whom are now living: Joseph W., Stephen, Samuel and John, all in Connecticut except Joseph W. The subject of this sketch came to Ohio in 1857, and settled in Amanda Township, this county, on land formerly occupied by his brother James, who came to Ohio prior to this date and died here. Joseph W. Clason had been a teacher in Connecticut for several years. He belongs to a family who early learned to take care of themselves. He received a fair education, as do most sons of New England, and, in 1858, married Sarah E., daughter of Sanford Smith. To this marriage were born two children: Solomon W. (deceased) and Lillie A. Mr. Clason has 113 acres of good land in Amanda Township, this county. He has been a successful farmer and has laid up a good competency for himself and family. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ALMON L. CONE, carpenter, P. O. Vanlue, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., December 1, 1826, son of Joseph (a native of New York) and Phebe Cone (a native of Vermont), who lived on the Indian Reservation. Joseph Cone came to Ohio, bringing with him the six survivors of his eleven children, settling in Marion County, in 1840, and afterward came to this county. Only two of his family now survive: Almon L. and Mrs. M. I. Crawford. Almon L. Cone was married, in 1849, to Margaret, daughter of William and Rachael Long, pioneers of this county, and to them were born six children: Julia A., William J., Mary E. (deceased), Elizabeth, Jacob A. (deceased) and John G. Mr. Cone has assisted in erecting many of the buildings in Vanlue, Ohio, including its best church buildings. He was a member of Company H, Fifty-seventh Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry under Capt. Henderson. He participated in the battle of Arkansas Post and the siege of Vicksburg, and in other engagements of the war of the Rebellion. He is an intelligent man and a great reader. He has been engaged for some time in the sash and door factory of Messrs. Hatch & Askam, at Vanlue. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


GEORGE W. CORBIN, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born in July, 1846, in Fairfield County, Ohio, is a son of Israel and Catharine (Rea) Corbin, natives of Pennsylvania. Israel Corbin came of one of the pioneer families of Fairfield County, Ohio, and he himself is one of the early settlers of Hancock County, Ohio. He came to this county in 1852, and purchased of Smith Carver 123 acres of land in Section 5, with slight improvements already made. The purchase price was $9 per acre, and the terms of sale were $25 cash and the balance to be paid in annual payments of $100 each, without interest. Other lands around him were soon after entered, and four years later he sold his land for over $2,000, and removed to Vanlue, Ohio, where he engaged in the grocery business and in butchering. He remained in Vanlue a few years, then purchased a farm and removed to the country. Israel Corbin married three times. Of his family of nine children three are now living (these are by his first wife). Their names are Peter F., Naomi V., now Mrs. Andrew Sallzman, and George W. The subject of this sketch married, October 24, 1872, Harriet, daughter of William Brown, and to this union have been born three sons and one daughter: Merle C., Orland E., Gertrude E. and Edwin G. Mr. Corbin has a fine farm of 128 acres of excellent land, which he purchased from Jesse Ford in 1870, and on which, in 1878, he built a fine frame house, and in 1880 a good barn. He has also laid many hundreds of rods of tiling on his place. In politics Mr. Corbin is a Democrat. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


DAVID CHAMBERS, farmer, P. O. Carey, Wyandot County, was born in Crawford County, Ohio, December '24, 1833, son of Elias and Catherine (Stockman) Chambers, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. Elias Chambers, who was of English descent, came to Liberty Township, Crawford Co., Ohio, about 1824 or 1825, entered 120 acres of timbered land and cut the first timber from his land and built a cabin. His family at that time consisted of wife and one child-Susan, now the 'Widow Steen, residing on the old home farm, in Crawford Co., Ohio. Afterward there were born to Elias and his wife six other children: William (deceased), whose widow now occupies part of the old home farm in Crawford Co., Ohio; Catherine, wife of J. Steen; Peter (deceased), David, Daniel and Aaron. Our subject acquired his early education in the schools of Crawford Co., Ohio, and married, April 26, 1859, Sarah A. Sargent, daughter of Samuel and Eliza (Smith) Sargent, of Hampshire County, Va. (now West Virginia), who came to Ohio in 1825. To Mr. and Mrs. Chambers were born Nora C., David W., Groely, Delia, Clinton, Cora and Wesley. David Chambers came to this county when a young man and after traveling over a good share of the county and laboring in various places, he began work with his uncle, William Chambers, on the farm which he, David, now owns. It is now a highly cultivated and well improved farm, with substantial modern buildings and other improvements thereon, situate in Section 35, of Big Lick Township, this county. Starting out to win his place in this world, with no capital but a stout heart and a resolute will, he has been successful, and is to-day one of the thrifty farmers and respected citizens of Big Lick Township, this county, and has filled, with credit to himself and the satisfaction of his fellow townsmen, the offices of constable, trustee and other township offices. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN W. COLE, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, was born in Ashland County, Ohio, January 2, 1832, son of James and Rachael (Webster) Cole, natives of Delaware, who came to Ohio more than fifty years ago, locating in Huron, Erie County, and from there went to Richland, Vinton Co., Ohio. Perry Cole, our subject's grandfather, died in the State of Delaware, and his widow after the family moved to Richland County, Ohio. The family afterward moved to Ashland County, Ohio, and from there to this county, in 1864. The subject of this sketch went from Ashland County, Ohio, to Eaton County, Mich., and there remained four years. He was married, in 1853, in Ashland County, to Sarah McCree, and by her he had seventeen children (of whom sixteen are yet living): Jennie, James (deceased), William, Elmer, Marietta, Mintie A., Charles, Jay, Letitia, Dilman, Benjamin, Clinton, Lem, Ralph. Irvin, and Jennettie and Rosettie (twins). John W. Cole resided in Marion Township, this county, for a time, and from there came to Big Lick Township, where he bought land from Henry Shoemaker and afterward purchased an additional sixty acres, making his present farm consist of 140 acres of fine farming land, well cultivated and improved. In politics our subject is a Republican. He and the family are connected with the United Brethren Church. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


C. W. CANFIELD, farmer, P. O. Wineland, was born in Hancock County, Ohio, January 23, 1845; son of Elijah Cyrus and Sarah Canfield, natives of Portage County, Ohio, and Luzerne County, Penn., respectively. March 28, 1872, our subject married Maria Ames, a native of Seneca County, Ohio, born October 15, 1851, and to this union were born four children: Sarah Amanda, born December 8, 1873; William Riley, born September 19, 1875; Earl M., born March 24, 1881, died April 14, 1881, and Gertie Ethel, born December 2, 1882. Mr. Canfield is one of the enterprising men of his township and an industrious farmer. In politics he is a Democrat. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


GODFREY CRATES, farmer, P. O. Arlington, was born July 20, 1831, in Washington County, Penn. His parents, Christian and Magdalena (Miron) Crates, of Wurtemburg, Germany, came to America with three young children in 1829. They lived in Washington County, Penn., until 1842, when they came to this county and located in the wilderness, in Van Buren Township, settling on a tract of eighty acres of land, which Christian Crates had entered from the Government about ten years previous. Of the eight children of Christian and Magdalena Crates four are now living: Mrs. Caroline Rhinehart, John, Godfrey and Mrs. Rosa Ann Harris. Christian Crates died May 13, 1870, in his seventy-sixth year; his widow, the mother of our subject, now resides with her son and is eighty-nine years of age. Godfrey Crates was reared as a pioneer's son in Van Buren Township, this county. He was united in marriage March 30, 1858, with Miss Lydia Wahl, who was born in Canton Basel, Switzerland, and came in 1844 to this county with her parents, Frederick and Anna Maria Wahl, who settled in Van Buren Township. Her parents now reside in Orange Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Godfrey Crates resided in Van Buren Township, this county, until April, 1880, when they sold their farm and purchased the old J. C. Ricketts farm of 200 acres of land in Eagle Township, where they now reside. To Mr. and Mrs. Crates have been born ten children: Mrs. Louisa Jane Bame, Christian F., William E., John W., Marion E., Margaret E., Daniel G., Mary Magdalena, Henry A. and D. William, a twin, who was accidentally scalded in infancy. Our subject united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at the age of seventeen years; subsequently, in 1859, he withdrew from that church, connected himself with the Methodist Protestant Church, and was licensed to preach by the Ohio Conference in 1877. Mrs. Crates and son, Christian, are also members of the church. Godfrey Crates is one of the leading farmers and representative citizens of Eagle Township. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WILLIAM CROSLEY, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, September 16, 1820, son of George and Maria Crosley, who were residents of this county from 1849 to the time of their death, dying at the age of seventy-four and eighty-one years, respectively. George Crosley was a soldier in the war of 1812, and passed through Fort Findlay long before a town was thought of there. William Crosley married, March 1, 1841, Miss Sarah Runkle, of Fairfield County, Ohio, and they came, in February, 1849, to Eagle Township, this county, where they bought a tract of land partly cleared; this they have improved and built upon until their farm now comprises 115 acres of well improved land. Mrs. Crosley died October 16, 1881, leaving six children: Mrs. Catherine Bish, Mrs. Polly Hoch, Mrs. Lydia Smith, Jacob, Mrs. Betsey Kramer and Joshua. June 4, 1882, William Crosley married, for his second wife, Mrs. Meena Brookman, a native of Magdeburg, Germany, and who came to America in 1871. Her first husband, Frederick Brookman, died May 28, 1878, leaving three children: William, Theodore and Minna L. William Crosley is an industrious and honest citizen, respected by all who know him. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


GAGE CARLIN, of the firm of Carlin & Carlin, fire and life insurance, real estate and loan agents, Findlay, is the third son and eighth child of Parlee and Sarah (DeWitt) Carlin, pioneers of this county. The subject of our sketch was born October 16, 1850, at Findlay, Ohio; received a good education and engaged in banking for several years. In 1880 he united with William L. Carlin in their present business. In 1877 he married Charlotte F., daughter of J. W. Knaggs, a pioneer of Wood County, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Carlin have no children. Mr. Carlin has always been a liberal supporter of all measures conducing to the public good of his locality. In politics he is a Republican. (*At page 526, through typographical error, this date is given 1859). [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WILLIAM L. CARLIN, attorney at law, dealer in real estate and insurance and loan agent, mayor of Findlay, son of the late Dr. William D. and Harriet E. A. (Rawson) Carlin, and grandson of Squire Carlin and Dr.- Bass Rawson, was born and reared in Findlay, this county. After completing a good education, he engaged in merchandising for a time, then read law and was admitted to its practice. This profession, however, not being palatable to him, our subject became united, in 1880, with Gage Carlin (a cousin) in their present business. He was married, May 26, 1874, at El Paso, Ill., to Lizzie, daughter of the late John King, Esq. They have two sons: Rawson King and Earl. Mr. Carlin has always been an active business man and citizen, and has served his city in its councils as a useful member. He is public spirited and progressive, and contributes liberally to measures tending to the benefit of the public weal. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOB CHAMBERLIN, Findlay, was born January 5, 1815, son of Job and Deborah (Root) Chamberlin, natives of Connecticut, where they married. They subsequently removed to New York State where to them were born the following named children: Deborah, Sallie, Nancy, Lucy, Vesta, Julia, Norman and Job. In 1819 the family came down the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers to Lawrenceburg, and soon after located at Georgetown, Ind., and two years subsequently at Urbana, Ohio, and in 1822 they settled on Chamberlin's Hill, this county, where, January 8, 1829, Mrs. Chamberlin died. She called her children around her bed when she was nearing her last and gave them her usual advice, warning them against the evils of the world and urging that they meet her in heaven. After the death of his wife, the elder Job Chamberlin prevailed on his eldest daughter, Deborah Whitman, and her husband to remove from New York and live with him. Later he married Miss Sarah Criner and with her removed to a farm six miles west of Findlay, Ohio, where he died in 1848. He was a Democrat of the old school, but, says his son Job, "he could not support the new fangled Democracy, and voted for Henry Clay for President, on account of his protective tariff principles. He supported John Q. Adams for the same reasons, and for supporting the United States Bank which had been established to relieve the people from the burden of direct taxation to pay the war debt. He was willing it should cease when it had accomplished the purpose for which it was created." He was for non-extension of slavery; was an active politician, but would not be a candidate for office. He was a Christian, belonging to the Baptist denomination while in New York, and a Presbyterian at the time of his death. His second wife died in 1854. In 1835 he divided the hill farm of 240 acres between his sons Norman and Job. The eldest son was married, in 1832, to Elizabeth Baker, who died the following year, leaving an infant son?John B. He then married, in 1834, Miss Eliza Watson, with whom he lived eleven years, and died. Job, our subject, attended the country schools, walking several miles distance. He was married, September 20, 1838, to Mary B. Hamilton, a native of Gallipolis, Ohio, and by her he has three children: Irvin S., Lucy (married first to Rev. William Barber, deceased, and second time to George Woodley), Sophrona J. (married to Samuel McCaban). In 1874 Job Chamberlin, Jr., moved to Findlay, Ohio, where he has led a somewhat retired life. In 1882 he invested means, with his son Irvin S., in the hardware business, with which he has been connected since. He is a stanch Republican, the oldest living pioneer of this county, and a worthy, upright gentleman. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


IRVIN S. CHAMBERLIN, dealer in hardware and agricultural implements, Findlay, comes of pioneer stock of Hancock County, Ohio. His father, Job.Chamberlin. Jr., was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., January 5, 1815, son of Job and Deborah (Root) Chamberlin, who settled on what is known as "Chamberlin's Hill," in this county, February 15. 1822. Job Chamberlin, Sr., died in 1848. preceded by his worthy wife some ten years. They left a son and two daughters. Job Chamberlin. Jr.. married Mary B., daughter of John P. and Martha (Parks) Hamilton, and by her has one son and two daughters. The subject of this sketch was reared on the farm, and at seventeen engaged as typo in the office of the Jeffersonian, and eventually became its proprietor with D. R. Locke (now of the Toledo Blade) and O. T. Locke (now of the Tiffin Tribune). In 1865 he retired from this profession and engaged in farming. In 1876 he embarked in his present business, with which he has been successfully connected since. During the late war of the Rebellion he served first in Company A, Twenty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and afterward in Company I, One Hundred and Sixty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Mr. Chamberlin was married, in 1872, to Nancy E. Pugh (widow of the late Dr. Pugh), who died in 1880, leaving one daughter-Grace. In 1882 he married Mrs. S. J. Hill, by whom he has one son and one daughter: Clarence C. and Pearl L. Mr. Chamberlin is a progressive citizen and business man, and a very liberal contributor to measures tending to the advancement of Hancock County's interest. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


GEORGE A. CHANEL, proprietor of the " Senate " restaurant and saloon, Findlay, was born in New York City, March 1, 1855, son of Dominick and Elizabeth (Bernard) Chanel, who came to this country in 1852, and now reside in Bay City, Mich. Dominick Chanel is a native of Luneville, and his wife of Baccarat, France. They reared a family of four sons and three daughters, of whom three sons and three daughters are still living. George A. Chanel, the subject of this sketch, when a lad of fourteen years, joined a circus troupe, and for fourteen years he was well and favorably known in the "ring," as one of the "Leon Brothers," acrobats. In 1871) he retired from the "ring," and engaged in the liquor business. In the following year he came to Findlay, where he fitted up one of the finest saloons ever known in the place, and has been well known to the trade since. Mr. Chanel was united in marriage, in Bay City, Mich., with Kitty Bryce, and to them have been born two children: Louis (deceased) and Edward S. A. Our subject and wife are regular communicants of St. Michael's Church. He is a member of the Band Tournament Association. In politics he is a Democrat. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JAMES R. CLARK, undertaker, Findlay. was born in Harrisburg. Penn., July 24, 1826, son of James and Sarah Ann Clark, the former of whom, a' native of Ireland and a coppersmith by trade, located in Harrisburg, Penn., and reared three sons and one daughter. James R. Clark served an apprenticeship at the cabinet-maker's trade in Gettysburg, Penn., and after spending a year in Philadelphia came 'West, and located in Findlay, Ohio, October, 1884, where he has since resided. He was united in marriage in Findlay, with Mary Devine, of Chambersburg, Penn., and they have three sons: Charles M., coach-maker in Celina, Ohio; John F., coach-painter by profession, and Walter S., associated in business with his father. Sarah Ann, an only daughter, is deceased. Mr. Clark has held aloof from public office, but has served with credit upon the school board of Findlay. He has been a member of the board of cemetery trustees for the past twenty-nine years. He is a worthy member of the I. O. O. F. and of the Encampment. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JUDGE JAMES M. COFFINBERRY has been a conspicuous figure in the legal galaxy of northern Ohio, for twenty-five years past, and for over forty years was an able and hard-working member of the profession in which he chose to spend his life. As a lawyer he won great success; as a jurist he was sound, impartial and logical; and as a man he has always deserved and held the respect of his associates and the general public. He comes of honored ancestry.George Lewis Coffinberry, of Virginian birth, grandfather of our subject, and who died in Mansfield in 1851, at the advanced age of ninety-one years, became, at the age of sixteen years, a volunteer in the grand old Revolutionary army, serving bravely and faithfully under Gen. Green. In 1796 he cast his fortunes with those of the Territory now known as the State of Ohio, being one of the men who opened it up to civilization, braved its rigors and faced its manifold dangers. His son, Andrew, was one of the leading pioneer lawyers of the West (being admitted to practice in 1813), leaving a name that is remembered with love and honor wherever he was known. Andrew Coffinberry was not only a lawyer, but a man of great literary talent, a poem of his, '' The Forest Rangers," attracting wide attention. He was married to Mary McCluer, a daughter of Judge James McCluer, a Kentuckian, who stood high in the community where he dwelt, and James M. Coffinberry was born to this union May 16, 1818, at Mansfield, Ohio. Receiving only such education as was possible in the district school of a small village, in the crude pioneer days, the subject of this sketch made such use of it as his natural energy and deep thirst for knowledge made possible; he entered his father's law office at an early age, and was admitted to practice in 1840, at Perrysburgh, Wood Co., Ohio, where his father was then residing. In partnership with his father he opened a law office, in Maumee City, in the beautiful Maumee Valley. He devoted himself to his profession with great energy and close attention, and his ability soon found recognition in an election to the position of prosecuting attorney of Lucas County, which office he filled for two years with signal success. In 1845 he removed to Hancock County, Ohio, where, for ten years, he successfully practiced his profession, at the same time editing and publishing the Findlay Herald. In 1855, feeling the need of a larger field for the full exercise of his maturer powers, he removed to Cleveland, Ohio, where he soon built up a large and lucrative practice, taking a prominent place at this bar from the first, and maintaining the high reputation that had preceded him. In 1861 he was given a new field for the exercise of his talents, being elected to the common pleas bench of Cuyahoga County. He held that position for five years, and was recognized as one of the ablest and purest men who had ever been called to that position of trust. '' His charges to the jury," says one of high authority, '' were models for clearness, directness and logical compactness, and it is complimentary to his judicial learning and professional ability that no legal opinion pronounced by him was ever reversed on review by a higher court." He held in a remarkable degree the power of seizing upon the strong points of a case, and was original in his manner of presenting his arguments and decisions; his apparently intuitive perceptions of legal truth giving to his utterances a freshness and vigor that commanded the admiration of all. While he had a fine appreciation of the learning of the profession, and was never unmindful of its nicest distinctions, he made them subservient to the broad and liberal views of the case, looking beyond the mere technicalities of the law, thus evincing a broad, liberal and well-developed judicial mind. After retiring from the bench he returned to the practice of his profession, but was soon compelled to retire from its activities by reason of failing health. He devoted many of his leisure hours to scientific reading and investigation, in which he took great interest. Judge Coffinberry was always a busy man; even while engaged in the most severe labors of his profession, he found time for general reading and study, developing and broadening out in all directions, and making his mind a rich store-house, always ready for any demand for material that might be made upon it. He was always, and is yet, a useful man to his community. He was, during 1 857 and 1858, a member of the city council of Cleveland, Ohio, and during the latter year president of that body. At the breaking out of the Rebellion he was chairman of the Democratic Central Committee of Cuyahoga County, but warmly espoused the cause of the Union, and labored earnestly to promote the recruiting service, making many speeches in favor of a zealous support of the war. He was principal secretary of the great Union Convention of Ohio, which nominated David Tod for governor, and was the candidate for Congress and common pleas judge of his party in his district for several terms, but, on account of its numerical minority in those days in Cleveland, even his personal popularity was not sufficient to elect him. He has always had an eye to the commercial and material advancement of Cleveland, and, from the first, was a firm advocate for the construction of the great viaduct that spans the Cuyahoga River and valley, and connects the east and west sides of the river. He attended every meeting called to consider the practicability of the enterprise, always spoke earnestly and hopefully of its ultimate success, and with voice and pen contributed largely to secure its accomplishment and to make it a free bridge. he was a corporator and stockholder of the first street railroad (the East Cleveland) in that city; a corporator and president of the West Side Street Railroad; a corporator and director of the Fremont & Indiana Railroad (now the Lake Erie & Louisville); a director of the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad, and a corporator and director of the Rocky River Railroad. He was a corporator and stockholder in the Savings & Trust Company, and a corporator and director of the People's Savings & Loan Association, and president of the Forest City Fire Insurance Company. The Judge met with a most serious accident in April, 1875, which resulted in the loss of a leg. being run into by a railroad train at Lighthouse Street crossing, as he and his wife were being driven from the depot in a carriage. Mrs. Coffinberry was seriously injured but finally recovered. Since that time the Judge has not practiced his profession, but has devoted himself to his private business, consisting principally of the management of two farms, and his rental property in Cleveland.

Judge Coffinberry was married, January, 1841, to Miss Anna M. Gleason, of Lucas County, Ohio. Of seven children born to them five died in infancy; the survivors are Mary E. (wife of Stephen E. Brooks) and Henry D. Mr. Brooks and Mr. Henry D. Coffinberry are regarded as two of the ablest and most successful young business men of Cleveland. Judge Coffinberry is spoken of in terms of the highest commendation in '' Knapp' s History of the Maumee Valley," in " Beardsley' s History of Hancock County," in " Clove's Representative Men of Cleveland,'' and in the '' Biographical Encyclopedia of Ohio.'' He is a man of convictions, frank and open in their expression, but tolerant of dissenting opinions, and especially regardful of the sensibilities of the young and diffident. He is not wealthy according to the modern standard of riches, but possesses ample means to render one of his simple tastes and inexpensive habits as nearly independent as a man can well be in this world of mutual dependence.
[History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


D. C. CONNELL, dealer in books, stationery and jewelry, Findlay, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, September 13, 1830, son of Aaron and Amelia (Davidson) Connell, natives of Pennsylvania. Our subject learned merchant tailoring in New Lisbon, and was connected with merchandising there and at Mansfield, Ohio. In October, 1864, he came to Findlay, this county, and was in the hat and cap trade two years, then in the dry goods business till 1867, when he retired for a few years, and in 1872 embarked in his present line. He married, in Mansfield, Ohio, September 8, 1853, Mary A. Paisley, who died in Findlay, March 20,1867; she bore him two children: Edwin T., who died October 29, 1861, and Ella, now the wife of C. A. Lockhart, of Fostoria. engaged as salesman for a Boston dry goods house. Mr. Connell was again united in marriage, on September 3, 1868, with Mrs. Sarah E. Hutchinson (nee Tate), who died March 5, 1885, and who bore him one son and one daughter: George C. and Anna E. Mr. Connell has been a worthy Odd Fellow for thirty-three years, and is a member of the Royal Arcanum of the Knights of Honor. During the late war of the Rebellion he served in the One Hundred and Second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry for two years, receiving an honorable discharge from it as quartermaster. He has been a worthy member of the Presbyterian Church for many years, and is now serving as trustee of the Presbyterian Church here. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


D. J. CORY, farmer, stock dealer and ex-judge, Findlay, was born in Warren County (then in the Northwestern Territory) April 17, 1801, nine months before the State of Ohio was organized, son of Elnathan and Hannah (Jennings) Cory. His father, of Knickerbocker stock, born in Essex County, N. J., immigrated to Ohio about 1795, and settled in Columbia, which now forms a part of the city of Cincinnati. The country was new and sparsely settled, and he had to endure all the privations incident to pioneer life. Not being satisfied with his prospects in Columbia, he removed to what is now known as Warren County, and established a nursery. He was one of the earliest nurserymen in the State; the well-known apple entitled the "Cory Red," originated in his orchard. Ex-Orov. Vance and Elnathan Cory laid out the town of Findlay in 1827, and built a mill-dam at Blanchard' s Fork of the Auglaize River, which were the first important improvements in the county. The mother of Judge Cory, Hannah (Jennings), descended from English ancestry, was born in Virginia, but immigrated, with her family, to Ohio about 1800, and settled near Cincinnati. Her father, David Jennings, was shot and mortally wounded by the Indians as he was returning home from the mill. Our subject attended a log-cabin school in his boyhood, and early worked on his father's farm. When he arrived at eighteen years of age he removed to Dayton, Ohio, where he had some further educational advantages, and, although engaged in the store of Steel & Price, he attended school for eighteen months. Returning home, he engaged in the farming and milling business, the saw and grist mill, which had machinery for wool-carding, being the property of his father. At the expiration of four years he relinquished the business and settled on a farm near Springfield, at a place now called Enon, and there commenced raising stock as well as engaging in agricultural operations. Thence he went to. Williams (now Henry) County, about eight miles below Napoleon, and was there engaged in farming and stock raising for nearly fifteen years. In February, 1835, he was appointed by Gov. Lucas an associate judge of Henry County, which office he held for several years. Being a member of the Whig party, which was defeated at the polls by the Democrats, his career as a judge closed. For twenty years he was director and stockholder in the Fremont & Indiana (now the Lake Erie & Louisville) Railroad, and devoted his best energies to promoting its success. April 17, 1827, he was married to Miss Martha Meek, who died February 26, 1868, without leaving any issue. This marriage took place near New Carlisle, Clark Co., Ohio. On September 7, 1869, he was married to Miss Anna W. Wright, of Urbana, by birth a Virginian. Her father, Reed Wright, had an intuitive hatred of slavery, which was the cause of his leaving Virginia, as he desired to rear and educate his children in a free State, and his wife, the mother of the second Mrs. Cory, had inherited slaves, which she, however, manumitted, or otherwise liberated, in accordance with the laws of Virginia. November 2, 1848, Judge Cory removed to Findlay, where he had built family residence, still managing his business of farming and stock raising, being the owner of considerable sections of land in Wyandot, Marion and other counties. He has always occupied a high and honorable position as a public-spirited and philanthropic citizen, and has taken a great interest in the temperance and religious work of Findlay, giving to both his sympathy and financial support. He is in earnest accord with the Methodist Church; and has the esteem and respect of the community of which he is so worthy a member. In politics he is a Republican, strongly attached to the principles of our country, and down on ballot-box stuffing. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WILLIAM J. CREIGHTON, treasurer of Hancock County, Findlay, was born in Cass Township, this county, May 29, 1847, son of Samuel and Arabella (Gilliland) Creighton, the former of whom, a native of County Down, Ireland, came to this country when a lad, with his parents, who settled in Allegheny County, Penn., where they died, leaving five sons and three daughters, of whom two sons and one daughter survive: David, in California; Ellen, now Mrs. McCrea, of Allegheny County, Penn. (she was widow of John McCrea); Samuel, who moved here in 1842 and settled in Cass Township, where he reared nine children-four sons and two daughters of whom survive. William J., the sixth child of this family, received a good education, and at seventeen taught school, and was connected with the profession of teaching till 1875, when he moved here and served as clerk in Treasurer Hosler's office during that gentleman's incumbency. Mr. Creighton was a prominent candidate before the convention which nominated Samuel Howard, Esq., as treasurer, falling short but one or two votes. He, however, retired to his farm, and in October, 1882, received the nomination and was elected, and in 1884 was re-elected to his present incumbency. he was married, in 1873, to Martha, daughter of Henry Ebersol, of Washington Township, this county. They have one son and one daughter: David Maurice and Jessie Mable. Mr. Creighton and family attend the services of the Presbyterian Church, the faith of his fathers. He has always taken an active interest in all measures tending to the public weal of his county, and has contributed liberally to matters tending to the advancement of its social and industrial life. In politics he is a Democrat. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


A. B. CROZIER, of the firm, of Crozier & Linaweaver. photographers, Findlay, was born in Washington Township, this county, January 25. 1853, son of John and Susan Scott Crozier, the former a native of Brooke County, Va. (now West Virginia), and the latter of Carroll County, Ohio. They settled in this county in an early day, and reared a family of five sons and one daughter. A. B. Crozier, the subject of this sketch, spent his early life on the farm, but at the age of twenty-three years he took up photography, with which profession he has been successfully connected since. He was united in marriage in Findlay with Etna A. Ray, and to them have been born two children: Charlie Merle and Nellie Ray. Mr. Crozier is~a member of the Photographers' Union. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


GEORGE L. CUSAC, grocer, Findlay, was born in Portage Township, Hancock County, October 5, 1854, son of Isaac and Sarah (Van Eman) Cusac, pioneers of this county. He was reared to mercantile pursuits in his father's store in McComb, this county, and in 1878 embarked in the dry goods trade in Findlay, retiring from the same in 1882 to take up his present business, which may be said to be the most extensive in this locality. Mr. Cusac was united in marriage in Findlay with Ella, daughter of Doddridge and Harriet Bigelow, and to them has been born one daughter: Inez May. Our subject and wife attend services at the Presbyterian Church. He is a worthy Mason, an energetic business man and a public-spirited citizen. He contributes liberally to all enterprises tending to benefit the county. He is a member of the Findlay Improvement Company, and also of the Findlay Boring and Drilling Company. In politics he is a Democrat. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JUSTUS CHASE, farmer, Findlay, was born in New York State, August 29, 1817, son of George and Elizabeth (Wilson) Chase, natives of New York, of English descent, and who moved to Madison County, Ohio, in 1817, and from there to Hancock County in 1830, where they remained until their death, Mrs. Chase dying in 1832, and Mr. Chase in 1869. They reared a family of five children, our subject being the eldest. Justus Chase has made- farming his business through life, and has resided on his present farm since March, 1831. He is the owner of over 200 acres of fine land, besides property in Ottawa, Denver and North Baltimore, Ohio. Mr. Chase was united in marriage, November 7, 1839, with Mary A. Jones, born in 1821, in Westmoreland County, Penn., daughter of James and Martha (Black) Jones, the former born in Pennsylvania in 1791, and the latter in Maryland in 1799. Mr. and Mrs. Jones moved from Liberty Township, Westmoreland Co., Penn., to Liberty Township, Madison Co., Ohio, and afterward to Liberty Township, Perry County, and in 1833 settled in Liberty Township, this county. To our subject and wife were born nine children: George D., Martha J. (deceased), Elizabeth (wife of Chris Porter), Corilda M. (wife of Isaac Taylor), Harrison (deceased), James W. (deceased), Mary S. (wife of James H. Chase), Annettia (wife of John R. Osborn) and Justus Z. Mr. Chase is one of the substantial farmers of Hancock County, and he and his wife have been consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for over forty years. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WALLEN CAMERON, farmer, P. O. Arlington, was born in Carroll County, Ohio, October 1, 1833, son of Alexander and Lydia (Miller) Cameron, natives of Ohio, former of whom was a farmer and miller by occupation; for many years conducted the hotel at Arlington. His great-grandfather, Alexander Cameron, Sr., served in the war of the Revolution, and was twice wounded. Wallen Cameron, the subject of this sketch, came to this county with his father at the age of eighteen years, and resided here, engaged in farming, until 1872, when he removed to Nebraska. His father dying, Wallen returned to this county and took charge of the old homestead, still retaining his real estate interests in Nebraska. In the fall of 1861 our subject enlisted in an independent company of sharp-shooters, which was afterward credited to the Fourteenth Missouri, and still later to the Sixty-sixth Illinois Regiment. He was mustered out in July, 1865, after having rendered, with his company, conspicuous service in many of the most brilliant campaigns of the war in the Southwest, among which were the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, siege and capture of Atlanta, and Sherman's march to the sea. Mr. Cameron was united in marriage, April 19, 1857, with Miss Sarah J. Woods, a daughter of H. P. Woods, of Dunkirk, Ohio. Of the six children born of this union five are yet living: Melville, D., Jennie, Harry, Alexander B. and Wallen. Mr. Cameron and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the G. A. R.; in politics a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN CHARLES, farmer, P. O. Ada, Hardin County, a native of Richland County, Ohio, born March 15, 1831, is a son of Isaac (a miller by trade, which he followed most of his life) and Sarah (Moudy) Charles, the former of Scotch and the latter of German descent, natives of Pennsylvania and Maryland, respectively, and who were married in Richland County, Ohio, about 1825, and died in Allen County, Ohio, faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They were the parents of five children: Elijah, Rosaunah (deceased), John, Isaac and Anna (latter deceased). John Charles married, in 1850, Miss Mary Caris, of Richland County, Ohio, a native of France, born in 1833, daughter of Peter and Mary A. (Styret) Caris, who immigrated to America about 1840, and settled in Richland County, Ohio, where Mrs. Caris died in 1861. Mr. Caris came to Orange Township, this county, and died here; Mr. and Mrs. Charles moved to Orange Township, this county, the same year they were married. He has reared a family of five children: Mary A. (deceased), Isaac, Andrew, Peter (deceased) and Sarah M. Mr. Charles settled upon land which had been entered in Orange Township, this county, by his father in 1840, and by industry and economy has improved and accumulated land until he now has 300 acres. In 1884 he built a fine brick residence at a cost of $5,000. He also has good out-buildings and various other improvements on his place. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN CRATES, farmer, P. O. Cordelia, was born June 1, 1829, while his parents, Christian and Mary M. (Myers) Crates, were en route from their home in Wittenberg, Germany, to America. Christian Crates and family landed in Philadelphia, lived a few years in Washington County, Penn., and in 1844 removed to Hancock County, Ohio, settling in Van Buren Township, where Mr. Crates died; his widow, now eighty-nine years of age, resides in Eagle Township, this county; she is the mother of ten children, of whom only four survive: Caroline, in Hardin County, Ohio; and John, Rosannah and Godfrey, in this county. John Crates married, November 10, 1854, Miss Mary Baldwin, of Orange Township, this county, a native of Trumbull County, Ohio, and daughter of Caleb and Jennette (Smith) Baldwin, who came from Trumbull County, Ohio, to Orange Township, this county, in 1857. Here her father died; her mother now resides with our subject and has four children now living: Mary, in Orange Township, this county; John, in Wood County, Ohio, and Harriet and Jane, in Orange Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Crates are parents of eleven children; those now living are Amelia, Mintie, Lena, Call, Edward, Jennette, Rosannah and Ida, all in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Crates are members of the United Brethren Church. In politics he is a stanch Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JAMES CUMMANS (deceased), a native of Loudoun County, Va., born September 12, 1804, was the eldest, and at the time of his death, the only living son of Aaron and Eleah (Huff) Cummans, natives of Virginia and South Carolina, respectively, latter reared in Pennsylvania; they were married in Hampshire County, Va., and soon after moved to Loudoun County, Va., but in a few years returned to Hampshire County, where they reared their family of six children: James, John, Elizabeth, Catharine, Aaron and Eleah. The father dying in Hampshire County, Va., in 1813, the mother and family moved to Ohio several years later and settled in Columbiana County, where Mrs. Cummans died. James Cummans came to Orange Township, this county, about 1837-38 and entered land which he improved. He married, October 13, 1831, Sarah Rickey, a native of Columbiana County, Ohio, born December 25, 1810, and to this union were born fifteen children: Rueann, John W., Eleah, David, James, Elizabeth J., Sarah C., Aaron, George M., Mary, Harriet, Henry, Nicholas, Oscar and Jesse. Mr. Cummans died March 6, 1886; he was a man of extraordinary strength when in his prime. He was one of the first voters in Orange Township, this county, assisted in the organization of the township, and served in most of its offices. He was always identified with the Democratic party, and was a prominent member of the Reformed Church. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails