Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line


URIAH W. EGBERT, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born May 18, 1810, in Northumberland County, Penn., is a son of David and Mary (Williams) Egbert, natives of New Jersey, who moved to Pennsylvania, and in 1812 came to Ohio, first settling in Fairfield County, and in 1822 moving to Seneca County, where they entered land. In 1830 David Egbert came to this county and entered land in Monroe and Amanda Townships, near Blanchard Bridge. He afterward sold his land and moved to Wood County, where he and his wife died. He was the father of ten children, six of whom are now living: Joseph; Uriah W.: Sally, wife of J. Charles; Percilla, wife of George Shoemaker; Reuben and Maria E. Our subject entered 100 acres of land, fractional lot, which he cleared, and on which he made the first improvements. He was twice married; first, in May, 1841, to Mary, daughter of Major Bright, pioneer minister and the most extensive land-holder in the county since its organization. This union was blessed with six children: Amos (deceased), Mary Louisa (deceased wife of J. Cross; she left eight children). Sarah A., wife of J. Stephens; Major; David, married to Sallie Benner, and Martha J. In 1863 Mr. Egbert married for his second wife, Marcia M., daughter of Richard Jaqua. Mr. Egbert has been a resident of this county for fifty-five years, engaged in farming most of the time. He is a leading member and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


FREDERICK ESTERLY (deceased) was a son of Jacob and Mary (Boyer) Esterly. Jacob Esterly came to America in 1830, and settled in Mahoning County, where he remained two years, then moved to Seneca County, Ohio, where he settled on the south line adjoining Hancock County and lived for twenty years. In 1858 he came to this county and purchased a farm of William McKee, on which he passed the remainder of his days. He was the father of seven children, of whom four are now living: Christena, John, Caleb and Caroline, now Mrs. Segrist. The deceased are Margaret, Jacob and Frederick. The subject of this sketch received a part of his education in the German and a part in the English schools. He was twice married; first, in 1840, to Mary Stackawalt, who died in 1852, leaving him one child-Marion-wife of Leo Fenstemaker. Mr. Esterly's second marriage was in 1857, with Mena Kirchner, by whom he has one child-Caroline-wife of William Gilbert. Mr. Esterly purchased his present farm from O. Gordon, in 1857, and made many modern improvements on it. He was a member of the Lutheran Church. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN EWING, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born in September, 1839, in Amanda Township, Hancock Co., Ohio, is a son of Samuel and Rebecca (Alspach) Ewing, natives of Maryland, and who were among the early pioneer children of Fairfield County, Ohio, where they married. They came to Hancock County, Ohio, in 1834, where Samuel Ewing entered eighty acres and bought part of another eighty-acre tract of land in Section 28, Amanda Township. Here they began life as pioneer settlers of the county, cutting the first timber, putting up the first cabin on the land, and making a home for their family. This old home farm is now owned by Henry Davis. Samuel Ewing was the father of seven children: Levi; Rosilla, wife of David Alspach; William I.; Christiann, widow of Mr. Gordon, who resides in Michigan; John; Lavina (deceased) and Lucinda (deceased). The subject of this sketch married, in 1862, Lovica, daughter of Peter Shoi maker. Their union has been blessed with five children: Delia D., El J., Jay, Orra and Bell V. Mr. Ewing is a thorough farmer and a goi business man. He purchased the farm on which he now lives, in Secti 16, Amanda Township, this county, from J. Lemont. He has filled the office of assessor, also that of school director of Amanda Township. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ISAIAH EAIRLEYWINE, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, was born October 25, 1836, in Knox County, Ohio,; son of George and Susan (Dyal) Eairleywine, early settlers of that county, the former a native of southern Pennsylvania, and the latter a native of Fairfield County, Ohio. They came to Delaware Township, this county, in November, 1836, purchased a tract of land and began clearing up and developing a farm. They reared a family of nine children: Aaron, in Kosciusko County, Ind.; Mrs. Mary A. Wolfort; Mrs. Sophia Davis; Lewis; Uriah; Isaiah; Mrs. Celina Hook; Mrs. Lovina Aurand and Adam. George Eairleywine, now ninety years of age, resides in Mount Blanchard, this county. He is one of the oldest and most highly respected of the pioneers of Delaware Township, this county. His wife died March 4, 1861). Isaiah Eairleywine responded to the President's first call for troops, and enlisted, in March, 1861, in defense of his country, serving faithfully as a soldier. October 22, 1863, he married Miss Margaret Weir, and they then settled in Delaware Township, this county, where they have a fine farm of eighty acres of land. Their children are Robert W., Mrs. Eleanor Gordon, Elizabeth and Thurman. In politics Mr. Eairleywine is a Democrat. He has filled the office of township trustee. He is a member of the Disciples Church, his wife being a Presbyterian. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ISAAC F. ELDER, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, was born in Delaware Township, this county, January 21, 1846, on the farm on which he now resides. Josiah Elder, his father, a famous pugilist in early times and a typical pioneer of the old school, married, September 27, 1832, Miss Sarah Ann Cessna, who was born in Bedford County, Penn., January 17, 1813 (her father, John Cessna, a soldier in the war of 1812, moved to Coshocton County, Ohio, in 1814, and to Hardin County, Ohio, in 1831). She was very strong and active, and could handle an ax as skillfully as a man. She and her sister, Rebecca, cut all the logs for their cabin while their father was gone to Bellefontaine to mill. Josiah Elder and his wife cleared up a large farm on Blanchard River. Of their eleven children four are now living: Franklin, in Missouri; Jonathan, in Kansas; Mrs. Sarah Ann Pugh and Isaac F. Josiah Elder died May 1, 1868. His widow now resides in Mount Blanchard, this county. Isaac F. Elder married, January 1, 1874, Miss Charlotte Greer, daughter of John Greer. They have six children: Muzetta, Zoa, Zeller, Squire, Zana and Frank. August 7, 1879, Mr. Elder and his two daughters were struck by an express train as they were attempting to drive across the Indiana, Bloomington & Western Railway track near Forest, their wagon and team being literally torn to pieces. The girls escaped with slight injuries, but Mr. Elder received injuries from which he has never fully recovered. Mr. and Mrs. Elder are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


C. A. EBLING, merchant tailor, Findlay, was born in Leesport, Penn., May 24, 1853; son of Addi and Mary Ann (Bahr) Ebling, natives of Berks County, Penn. Addi Ebling served with honor in the late war of the Rebellion, and upon his discharge he came to Ohio, and in 1869 to Findlay; by his first wife, who died February 9, 1858, he had three children-two sons and one daughter-latter of whom died at age of two years and by his second wife, whom he married October 6, 1862, there are two children-one son and one daughter. The subject of this sketch was raised to his present business (his father's) and April 17, 1880, embarked in it in Findlay where he has since been successfully connected with same. He was married in Findlay, in October, 1879, to Amanda, daughter of Thomas B. Scott, Esq., a native of Pennsylvania, and they have two daughters: Mary Ann and Clara Belle. Mr. Ebling and family attend the services of the Presbyterian-Church. He has been a Mason since 1875 and was knighted in Shawnee Commandery at Lima, Ohio. He is also Past Chancellor in the K. of P. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


CHARLES J. ECKELS, Findlay, was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., January 1, 1821, son of John and Esther Booth Eckels, also natives of Westmoreland County, who settled in Cass Township, this county, in April, 1836, with four sons, of whom William is deceased; James M. is in Fort Wayne, Ind.; Charles J. in Findlay, and Cyrus L. near Findlay. The subject of this sketch spent several years at the carpenter trade; in 1854 he came to Findlay, where he assisted in carrying on undertaking till recently; meantime he took an active part in the advocacy of boring for natural gas and, in 1884, he with Dr. Osterlen and a few others, sank their celebrated test well and developed this wonderful interest, which now has seven wells yielding gas, and two oil. The company propose putting other wells down in the near future, for gas and oil. The last well, known as the "Karg well," has the largest flow of any of the gas wells, yielding over 1,000,000 cubic feet of gas every twenty four hours. Findlay is now partially heated and lighted with natural gas. Mr. Eckels was married, in Cass Township, Hancock Co., Ohio, to Ann McMurray, who departed this life July 20, 1879, leaving one son and two daughters: James, a railway engineer, now with the Northern Pacific Railroad, running from Glendive, Mont., west to Billings; Jennie E. and Margaret E. Mr. Eckels has always taken an active part in the development of the industrial life of Findlay. During the war of the Rebellion he enlisted in Company A. Twenty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for three months' service, then afterward enlisted and served in Company F, Twenty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry and later in Company I, One Hundred and Sixty-first Ohio Volunteer Veteran Infantry, receiving an honorable discharge from each service. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


W. EDWARDS, harness-maker, Findlay, was born in Tunbridge Wells, England, January 2, 1841, son of Elisha and Susan (Damper) Edwards, who came to our shores in 1846, and located in Findlay, Ohio, where the father died in 1849, leaving five sons and four daughters. William, our subject, when eighteen years old became apprenticed to the harness-making, and in 1867 embarked in the business on his own account, with which he has since been prominently identified in Findlay. He was married in Findlay, in 1865, to Catherine, daughter of Philip Hoch, of Eagle Township, this county, and they have five sons and three daughters: Ada, Charles, Merlee, Annie, Kittie, Fred, George and Ralph. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards attend services at the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the K. of H. and of the Royal Arcanum. In the beginning of the war of the Rebellion he enlisted in Company B, Twenty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and did active service for thirty-two months, when he was honorably discharged on account of disability, occasioned by wounds received at the battle of Chickamauga. He is an enterprising and progressive business man and a liberal contributor to measures for the welfare of his adopted city. Upon the organization of the Findlay Natural Gas Company he became a stockholder and has continued with it since. He is also a member of the Findlay Improvement Company and other important industrial interests. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WILLIAM J. EDWARDS, livery stable, Findlay, was born in Philadelphia, Penn., September 23, 1837, son of Josiah P. and Ann (Young) Edwards, natives of Ireland. Josiah P. Edwards learned shoe-making in Donegal, his native city, and when a young man came to this country and settled in Philadelphia. He afterward moved to Fairfield County, Ohio, and from there to Findlay, this county, in 1852, where he died in 1871. He had a family of three sons and three daughters, of whom one daughter and one son remain: Sarah Ann (wife of Luther Norton, of Charleston, Ill., and William J. Our subject carried on farming till 1866, when he came to Findlay and embarked in the livery business with which he has been favorably connected since. In 1874 he built his present extensive barn and stables. He was married in Findlay, in 1860, to Lucinda J., daughter of Peter and Elizabeth (Powell) Foltz, and they have one son and one daughter living: Wilson J. (married to Nettie Ferard, daughter of John F. and Fanny J. S. Ferard (they have one son and one daughter), and Clara Blanche, and have buried Margaret J., Emma May and an infant. Mrs. Edwards is a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which her husband is a liberal supporter. Mr. Edwards is an active and enterprising business man and a worthy citizen. He has had charge of carrying the mails here for the past fourteen years. He is a member of the K. of P. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


FRANKLIN WAYNE ENTRIKIN, M. D., Findlay, late professor of gynecology in Fort Wayne Medical College, was born in Chester County, Penn., July 27, 1830; son of Emmor and Susannah (Bennett) Entrikin, of pioneer English Quaker ancestry in that State. In 1832 Emmor Entrikin moved to Columbiana County, Ohio, where he reared a family of five sons and one daughter in the Quaker faith. Franklin W. Entrikin received a good literary training and at seventeen entered the Quaker Academy, a? Salem, being a class-mate of Byron Shariton, M. D., professor of diseases of women, Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio. After completing a thorough literary and scientific course there he engaged in the study of dentistry, in which profession he spent a few years. He, however, continued reading medicine and graduated from the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati. In 1855 he came to Findlay, where he has spent most of his time since in excellent professional practice. He, however, has spent some considerable time in public lecturing on his profession, and for three years held the chair of gynecology in Ft. Wayne, Ind., Medical College. He is a scientist of considerable ability and has contributed leading articles to the Medical and Surgical Journal, of St. Louis, Mo., also to the Lancet and Observer, of Cincinnati (now the Lancet and Clinic); the Medical and Surgical Journal, of Toledo, and others. He is a member of the Northwestern Ohio Medical Association, and of the Cleveland Microscopical Society. The Doctor was married, in October, 1851, to Sarah Ann, daughter of Thomas Lyon, of Deerfield, Portage Co., Ohio, and by her he has three sons: Emmor Lyon, a leading jeweler in Findlay; Leonidas A., also a jeweler, with E. L.; Franklin Bennett, at home. Mr. and Mrs. Entrikin attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and is an A. F. & A. M. He is a hardworking, painstaking physician, and although possessed of an ample competence in the way of worldly goods, has probably earned a very great proportion of his money in medical practice since he lived in Findlay. Besides his already mentioned professional connections he has had charge of the sanitariums in Cleveland and Green Springs. He possesses nearly all the known instruments used in surgery. Although old in the profession the Doctor is to-day as great a student as he was in his younger years. Dr. Entrikin was elected professor of gynecology in the Toledo Medical College in August, 1885, and delivered a full course of lectures in that institution in the session of 1885-86. He now holds that position. He is of strong physique and of a vigorous nature. In politics he is a Republican. His father was a Whig and he and all the sons early identified themselves with the anti-slavery movement and of course drifted into the Republican party. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


A. C. EWING, Findlay, superintendent of Hancock County Infirmary, was born in Liberty Township, this county, November 26, 1854, son of Cornelius and Elizabeth (Insley) Ewing, natives of Ohio, the former of German descent, the latter of English extraction. Cornelius Ewing, who was a tiller of the soil all his life, came to this county in 1853, and settled on a farm in Liberty Township; his family consisted of four children, our subject being the eldest. A. C. Ewing was reared on the farm and followed agriculture as an occupation until he reached his majority; he afterward went to Findlay and engaged as a clerk in a wholesale and retail store, and was thus employed for five years; then went to farming for himself. Mr. Ewing is the owner of a farm of eighty acres in Union Township. In politics he is a Democrat and is a member of the Democratic committee of Hancock County. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum. In 1884 Mr. Ewing was appointed superintendent of Hancock County Infirmary. He is a kind-hearted man, well calculated for the position he fills, and is ably assisted by his wife. Mrs. Arabella Ewing is a daughter of John King and is of English descent. Mr. and Mrs. Ewing were united in marriage in 1878, and they have one child, Maud May. Our subject and wife are members of the Evangelical Church, and he is a class leader and superintendent of the Sabbath-school. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


PROF. B. D. EVANS, M. D., Williamstown, was born in Hardy County, Va. (now West Virginia), June 16, 1829, son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Stofer) Evans, the former of whom, a son of Joseph Evans, a native of Wales, devoted his life principally to farming. He served in the war of 1812, and died at the age of ninety-one years. The subject of this sketch made his residence in various places previous to coming to this county in 1862, since which date he has practiced his profession, that of medicine and surgery, at Williamstown, with success. The Doctor also keeps a drug store, and has been postmaster of Williamstown for some time. He studied medicine under Dr. Frank Powers, of Delaware County, Ohio, and later took a full course in the Physio-Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati. For three years he held the position of professor of physiology and obstetrics in the Medical University of Ohio. Dr. Evans has been twice married; first, December 24, 1850, to Delila Kepler, and afterward, May 17, 1874, to Mary E. Cramer. The Doctor has seven children now living, four by his first marriage: Byron W., Frances E., Helen C. and Kepler; and three by his second: Edith R., Mary C. and Edward B. In politics the Doctor is a Democrat; in religious conviction a Spiritualist. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WILLIAM ELZAY, farmer, P. O. Bluffton, Allen County, was born in Champaign County, Ohio, September 18, 1831, son of Newton R. and Julia (Rolston) Elzay, natives of Virginia, who were married in 1828, in Pickaway County, Ohio, and in 1845 came to this county, settling in Orange Township. They reared a family of seven children: David, William, Angeliue, Moses, Mary E., Harriet and Benjamin K.: Harriet is deceased; Angeline is in Hardin County, Ohio, and all the others are in this county. The father, who died in 1851, was a life-long member of the Methodist Church; a Whig in politics. The mother still resides in Orange Township, this county. William Elzay married, August 28, 1861, Miss Margaret Markley, of Putnam County, Ohio, daughter of Solomon and Elizabeth (Salabury) Markley, both of whom are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Elzay are parents of eight children: Newton R., Samantha J., Charles L., Wilbert D., Mary E., Hiram W., Benjamin F. and Lawrence C., all living. Our subject purchased land in Orange Township, this county, in 1861, which he has improved. He and his wife are faithful members of the United Brethren Church. In politics he is a stanch Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN A. EWING, farmer, P. O. Bluffton, Allen County, born in Crawford County, Penn., December 25, 1814, is a son of Alexander and Mary (Battler) Ewing, natives of Cumberland and Washington Counties, respectively, who married in Crawford County, Penn., and in 1817 moved to Trumbull County, Ohio, where Alexander Ewing died; his widow died in this county, and was buried beside her husband in Trumbull County. They were the parents of eleven children: William B., John A., Beriah, Benjamin L., Ralph, George, Silas, Nancy, Levi, Mary and Asa. The father of this family was a cooper by trade, but gave most of his life to farming; he served in the war of 1812. John A. Ewing gave some attention to school teaching in early life. He married, in 1838, Elizabeth Clemmens, a native of Trumbull County, Ohio, born May 29, 1817, daughter of Daniel and Barbara (Stumbaugh) Clemmens (both now deceased), who were parents of eleven children: Philip, Elizabeth, Sarah, William, George, Martin, Henry, Jared, Catharine, Eliza and Nancy. To Mr. and Mrs. Ewing were born six children: Sarah J., Alexander, Frank, Thomas C. (deceased), Myron J. and Eliza A. The mother died February 7, 1859, and Mr. Ewing married, in 1863, Miss Mary Battles, of Orange Township, this county, a native of Trumbull County, Ohio, and daughter of Samuel and Caroline (Fish) Battles (latter deceased), Pennsylvanians, who lived in Trumbull County, Ohio, several years, and from there came to Orange Township, this county, in 1844; they had a large family of children, eight of whom are still living: Eli, Robert, Noah, Mary, Rozilla, Olive, Caroline and Rebecca. Mr. Battles, now old, feeble and blind, still resides in Orange Township. To the second marriage of our subject five children have been born: Florence M., Chase, Calvin, Corey L. and Nettie D. Mr. Ewing has been a faithful member of the Disciples Church for the past forty-five years. He has been an active man in his community, and has served his township in several of its offices. He was trustee five years, justice of the peace six years, notwithstanding the fact that the township is very largely Democratic, and he an old-time Free-soiler and stanch Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]




BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails