Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line
[Please confirm all data with the original source]

GEORGE SILAS FAHL, farmer, miller and manufacturer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, was born May 25, 1840, in Delaware Township, this county. He received his education in the schools of the home district, and his boyhood was spent at work on the farm and in the saw and grist-mill owned by his father. February 22. 18(51, our subject was united in marriage with Mary C. Hempy, born in Hancock County, O., January 14, 1844, daughter of Henry and Anna (Hall) Hempy. Since their marriage our subject and wife have resided on their present farm of 399 1/3 acres of well improved land on the Blanchard River, in Delaware Township, this county. Their children are Monroe, Emma E., Bertha Gay, Arizona Jay, Owen H., Theron I., Marvin H., Clarence S., Edson E. and Allie G. In 1862 our subject came into possession of the mill which was established by Godfrey Wolford, and now operates it as a grist and flouring-mill with a saw-mill addition. In 1872 he established a steam planing-mill, shingle-mill, lath factory, etc., to which he added, in 1880, the cider-mill which took the premium at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, Penn., and he makes over 75,000 gallons of cider per year. Mr. Fahl is an energetic business man, highly respected by the entire community. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]

DANIEL FELLER, farmer, P. O. Rawson, Hancock Co., Ohio, was born January 17, 1811, in Fairfield County, Ohio. His parents, Henry and Catherine (Robinult) Feller, natives of Lehigh County, Penn., spent their active lives in Fairfield County, Ohio, where the former died in about 1831; the latter afterward came to this county on a visit and died in Rawson in September, 1868, aged seventy-nine years. Daniel Feller, the subject of this sketch, was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Donaldson, while in Fairfield County, Ohio, and they settled near the center of Eagle Township, this county, in April, 1834. Mrs. Feller dying in the spring of the following year, Mr. Feller then sold his farm and returned to Fairfield County, Ohio, where he was again married (this time, September 4, 1836, to Miss Mary Donaldson), and came again to Eagle Township November 13, 1839, entering the farm on which he now resides. Mr. Feller at once began clearing up the farm and developing it, erecting thereon a fine brick residence in 1852, the third brick house built in the township, and has also made many other valuable improvements. He is now the owner of a fine and valuable farm of 160 acres of land. To Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Feller were born twelve children. They had the misfortune to lose five of them within two weeks, in November, 1869, from diphtheria; the eldest of these was seventeen years and the youngest four years of age. They also lost one child, two years of age October 24, 1842, and May 11, 1884, a daughter, Mrs. Catherine Sterling, of Wood County, Ohio, died in the thirty-ninth year of her age. Their children now living are Oliver H., of Wood County, Ohio; Mrs. Lucy Ann Fahl and Mrs. Mary Watkins, of Hancock County, Ohio; John D., of Wood County, Ohio, and Mrs. Melissa Emeline Cromley, of Wood County, Ohio. Mrs. Feller died February 13, 1886, in the sixty-ninth year of her age, after twelve weeks of lingering illness. She was a member of the Evangelical Association, as is also Mr. Feller, who ranks among the most honored pioneers of Eagle Township. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JACOB FELLER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Northampton County, Penn., in 1806, and the following year his parents, Frederick and Susanna (Rabinalt) Feller, moved to Fairfield County, Ohio, where our subject was reared. In October, 1831, Jacob Feller came to this county, and has been successfully connected with his present industry (farming and stock raising) since. He was united in marriage, in August, 1830, with Mary, daughter of Peter Powell, Esq., and to them have been born seven sons and five daughters: Eli, deceased while young; Jonathan, a member of Company A, Twenty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, died in the army; Susanna, deceased wife of Samuel Biggs, Esq.; Samuel, residing in Dakota; Paul and Jacob, farmers of Findlay Township; Mary, wife of Q. D. Insley, of Wood County, Ohio; Enos, residing in Wood County, Ohio; Elizabeth, wife of John D. Wagner, of Frankfort, Dak.; Timothy, a merchant, of Findlay, Ohio; Ella, wife of Marion Cox, of Wood County, Ohio, and Sarah Ann, wife of Adam Wagner, of Indiana. The subject of this sketch, Jacob Feller, Sr., came to this county when it was nearly new, and, settling in the woods, cleared land and made a home for himself. By steady and persistint industry he accumulated property, until at one time he owned over 400 acres of land. He is a worthy citizen, and a good husband and father, and has given each of his children a good start in the world. He is a member of the Evangelical Church; in politics a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WILLIAM JAMES FREY, notable character in more ways than one is the gentleman whose career is herein to be briefly outlined. During his residence of over forty years at Findlay. he has been prominently connected with the politics and business as well as the industrial and social life of the city. As a popular candidate for congress, chairman of the state committee of one of the great political parties, president of the city water works, a leading druggist and in other ways Mr. Frey has been constantly in the public eye, and necessarily subjected to the criticism which never fails to accompany prominence of any kind. That he has passed through this ordeal unscathed is sufficient evidence that he possesses those moral qualities which enable one to rise superior to the ordinary faultfinding, characteristic of humanity, and grow steadily in the good will as well as esteem of the community. Mr. Frey comes from an old family, which originated in England, but was long domiciled in Maryland. the first immigrant locating at Baltimore but later settling in the southwestern part of the state. His grandfather was Dr. William Frey, who was born and bred in Maryland and became a noted physician, his practice extending over a wide area of the state. He married Elizabeth Coddington, daughter of General Coddington of Revolutionary fame and member of a family of great influence during the formative period of the republic. Samuel D. Frey, son of the Doctor, was born in Alleghany county, near Cumberland, Maryland, in 1825, and was the first of the name to try his fortunes in the west, in 1846 he came to Bellefontaine, Ohio, as a contractor engaged in building the first line of railroad through that town. A short time before his arrival in a business capacity, he has visited Bellefontaine in a more interesting role and had been married there to Priscilla B., daughter of Hon. John Slicer. The latter was a man of note in Maryland and for many years represented Alleghany county in the state legislature. After finishing his contract with the railroad company Samuel D. Frey followed other pursuits and finally came to Findlay. where he was engaged in the drug business until the time of his death in 1897. William James Frey, son of the last mentioned, was born at Bellefontaine, Ohio, December 9, 1854, and was six years old when his parents removed to Findlay. His education was received in the schools of the latter city, supplemented by attendance for two years at Cleveland College. and a term at the Commercial College in the same place. It was in 1871 that Mr. Frey finished his course at the last named school and immediately there finally abandoned his intention of following the profession and joined his father in the drug business at Findlay. which connection he has since continuously maintained. Mr. Frey got in touch with politics at an early age, exhibited a natural turn therefore and has risen to prominence as one of the leaders of the Democratic party. Eventually he was nominated by his party as its candidate for congress in the Eighth Ohio district, which normally has a Republican majority of 6,500, but by a vigorous canvass and much hard work Mr. Frey managed to cut down these figures over two thousand. At the Democratic state convention in 1900, he was made chairman of his party's state central committee and held that position during the two subsequent years to the entire satisfaction of his associates. He was re-elected to this position at Sandusky in 1902. In 1890 Mr. Frey was elected president of the Findlay Water Works Company and has since discharged the duties of that office. In 1890 Mr. Frey was united in marriage with Miss Mary, daughter of Captain Alexander Gilchrist, of Vermilion county, and the result of the union is an only daughter, named Florence M. Mr. Frey's fraternal connections are confined to membership in the Knights of Pythias, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
[Source: Centennial Biographical history of Hancock County, Ohio, New York :: Lewis Pub. Co., 1903]


JOHN FRANKS, farmer, P. O. North Baltimore, was born April 20, 1786, in Fayette County, Penn., son of John and Rachel (Huffman) Franks, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Ohio in a very early day, being among the pioneers of Wayne County, Ohio. Our subject is the only survivor of his father's family, and was himself a soldier in the war of 1812; he was in Hull's army at the time of that General's surrender, and made his escape from the British in company with some others of that command. He now owns a piece of land on which Hull's army encamped. Our subject helped raise Gen. Bell's house at Wooster, and also assisted in building Fort Ball. He was a poor man when he married his first wife, Sarah Musgrove. They came to this county in 1832 and had to cut their way from Tiffin to the farm on which they settled. Mr. Franks did most of the hauling from Sandusky to this county in an early day with an ox team, wading through swampy lands to reach the mill. The children by his first wife are Elizabeth, Peter, Jasper, Nancy, Catherine, Rachel, Sarah and Henry; all married and living near their father. His second wife, nee Elizabeth Fast, had five children: George, Isabella, Andrew J., John F. and Mary P. Mr. Franks came to this county an uneducated and a poor man, but wonderful perseverance and endurance have given him success in life, and he now owns about 2,600 acres of land on which he has located his children. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


A. J. FRANKS, farmer, P. O. Bairdstown, Wood County, was born October 3, 1851, in Caas Township, this county, son of John and Elizabeth (Fast) Franks. John Franks, the father of our subject, is one of the oldest pioneers in Cass Township, and one of the largest land owners in this county. Our subject was united in marriage, May 24, 1873, with Olive Enswinger, of Wayne County, Ohio, and their union has been blessed with four children: Sarah E., John H., Nellie M. and Lucy P. G. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


DANIEL FRICK, farmer, P. O. Van Buren, was born May 3, 1828, in Westmoreland County. Penn. His parents, Daniel and Catherine (Miller) Frick, were also natives of the same place, the former a farmer and blacksmith. Daniel Frick, Sr., had a brother, George, who served in the war of 1812. Their father, George Frick, a German by birth, died of scarlet-fever in New Orleans, where he, in company with a man named Hannah, had taken a flat boat loaded with flour. The father of our subject was twice married. His first wife (the mother of our subject) bore him nine children: Mary, John, George, Lucinda, Daniel, Delilah, David, Jacob and Abraham, all of whom are still living. His second wife also bore him nine children, of whom six are still living: Catherine, Jane, Jeremiah, Isaiah, Luther and Joseph. David, of the first family, and Isaiah, of the second family, served in the late war of the Rebellion. Daniel Frick, Sr., came to this county in the spring of 1855, and died the following fall. The subject of this sketch came to this county in 1856, and engaged in the mercantile trade. He was, however, a miller by occupation, and, in 1861, he purchased a flouring-mill (which is still standing in Van Buren, unused) and operated it for several years. In 1871 he bought a farm of 160 acres of land, north of Van Buren, which he still owns, and on which he resided until last spring, when he moved to Van Buren, having purchased a store-building and residence combined. Mr. Frick has long been a member of the I. O. O. F., belonging at present to Haywood Lodge, No. 333. In politics he is a Republican. He was united in marriage, November 6, 1851, with Esther Dinsmore, a daughter of John Dinsmore, a farmer of Westmoreland County, Penn., and two children have been born to this union, both now deceased. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



JOSEPH FOREMAN, farmer, P. O. Rawson, was born August 30, 1830, in Franklin County, Penn. His parents, William and Eleanor (McNeal) Foreman, came to Eagle Township, this county, with a family of eight children in 1845. The country being then new, they made the entire journey by wagon train, the older children, including Joseph, walking the whole distance. They settled on a farm in the northern part of Eagle Township, of which about twenty-five acres were cleared, and at once began improving and developing the place. They resided on this farm until their death; the mother died in 1850 and the father in 1863. Manifesting a spirit of patriotism, the boys, Joseph, John and George, gave their services to the Government during the war of the Rebellion. Joseph Foreman, the subject of this sketch, united in marriage, March 21, 1852, with Miss Christine Alspach, who was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, February 2, 1832, and came to this county in April, 1849. Her parents, Jacob and Polly (Miller) Alspach, lived in Fairfield County, Ohio, until the latter's death, after which Mr. Alspach moved to Indiana, where he now resides. Mr. and Mrs. Foreman settled in 18(50 on an entirely new place, where they now reside. In May, 1864, Mr. Foreman enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Regiment, Ohio National Guards, and served in the campaign in Virginia. He left an honorable record as a brave and faithful soldier, and on returning home he again devoted himself to the work of clearing up and developing his farm, upon which he has erected a handsome residence and made many other valuable improvements, owning 175 acres of good land. To Mr. and Mrs. Foreman have been born ten children: Ellen (deceased), John Milton, Jacob M., Charles Ellsworth, James Gideon, Frederick (deceased), Edmund, Ada Belle, Cora Dell and Tena. Mr. Foreman has given his children excellent educational advantages, both literary and musical. He is a man of firm principles, highly respected by all who know him. He was chosen, for nine years, trustee of Eagle Township.
[History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



FRANCIS W. FIRMIN, M. D., Findlay, was born in Richfield, Summit Co., Ohio, July 15, 1842, and is a descendant of pioneers of that name in Massachusetts, who came to our shores in 1630, in the fleet with Gov. Winthrop, and followed literary and mercantile pursuits. He is a descendant of Solomon De Firmin, who followed the fortunes of William the Conqueror from Normandy, and settled at Ipswich, England, in the eleventh century. His descendants number among them leading ecclesiastics and preserve the original crest and shield with the motto Firmus in Christo (Steadfast in Christ). The first records in this country show Giles, John, Josiah, Robert and Thomas Firmin, of whom Giles practiced medicine and preached the gospel, and died in Ridgewell, England, in 1697; John settled in Watertown, Mass., and Thomas, who was a merchant, settled in Haverhill, Mass., and removed to Salisbury, Mass., in 1652. Josiah Firmin came to Boston in 1640, and lived with Gov. Winthrop; Robert settled in Newton, Long Island, in 1645. The subject of this sketch comes in all probability from John of Watertown, Mass. His father was Francis B., born in 1809, son of John, born in 1773, and he of John, born in 1713, at Somers, Conn., where his father lived. Here there occurs a break in the genealogy, but cotemporaneous genealogy of its different branches traces the ancestry to John Firmin, of Watertown. Dr. Francis W. Firmin, a son of Francis B. and Mary (Chapin) Firmin, received a good education in Wilbraham, Mass, (whither his parents had removed), and at Oberlin, Ohio, in 1862-63. In 1862 he came to Ohio and engaged in the study of medicine with his uncle, Dr. Lorenzo Firmin, and in 1867 he graduated from the Cleveland Medical College. He located in Findlay, this county, and has been in very creditable professional work here since. He married here in 1869, Mary L. D., daughter of the Rev. John A. Meeks, a pioneer minister of the Presbyterian Church. They have four sons and one daughter: Alfred Scott, John Meeks, Clara H., Frank B. and Carl Giles. Dr. Firmin was made a Mason in 1868 and is a member of Findlay Lodge, Chapter and Council, and of Shawnee Commandery, at Lima, Ohio; is also a worthy Odd Fellow and a member of the Patriarchs Militant. The Doctor is a member of the American Medical Association, the Ohio State Medical Association, and of the Northwestern Ohio Medical Association, and has been United States Examining Surgeon for pensions since 1872. During the late war of the Rebellion, July 15, 1863, he enlisted in Company E. One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and after doing service for eight months, was honorably discharged. He is a member of Stoker Post G. A. R. Dr. Firmin has always held himself aloof from public office, but has served with credit in the councils of the city. He holds high rank in his profession; is a liberal contributor to all measures tending to the development of the social and industrial life of this locality, and is a public-spirited citizen. In politics he is a Republican.
[History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


DR. LORENZO FIRMIN, retired physician, Findlay, was born March 31, 1808, in South Wilbraham, Mass., son of John Firmin. Our subject when a lad learned the trade of shoe-making with his father in South Wilbraham (now Hampden), Mass., with which he was connected in the East till 1834, when he came West to Richfield, Summit Co., Ohio, and entered into partnership with Dr. Secretary Rawson, in a tannery, which he continued in until 1841, when he sold out to O. M. Oviatt, of Richfield. In 1841 he came to Findlay, Ohio, read medicine with Dr. Bass Rawson and graduated in the profession. He practiced at Benton, this county, till 1847, when he returned to Findlay, where he has been favorably known since. He was married June 28, 1838, to Clara H., daughter of Dr. Secretary Rawson. They have no children. Dr. Firmin has always been a public spirited and liberal man. He is a clever financier and has accumulated a handsome competence. He and his lady are worthy members of society, esteemed by all who know them. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



REV. ANDREW J. FISH, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Findlay, was born near Springfield, Clark Co., Ohio, October 26, 1840, son of John and Justina (Myres) Fish, the former of whom, a native of Bremen, Germany, and a stone-cutter by trade, came to this country in 1834, he being then twenty-one years of age. He eventually settled near Springfield, Clark Co., Ohio, where he was favorably known in connection with important contracts for public road building, and prominently may be mentioned the National road between Springfield and Columbus, Ohio. His original name was "Fiersch," which for convenience he changed to "Fish." The Myres family come of a long line of German ancestry in Adams County, Penn. Rev. Andrew J. Fish, the subject of this sketch, is to a great extent self-made in his profession. In his earlier years he taught school and by this means furthered his education. At the age of twenty-three he entered the church, and when twenty-seven years of age he took charge of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Quincy, Ohio, his successive charges being Elida, Delphos, Greenville, Defiance, Van Wert, Toledo, coming to Findlay, this county, in the fall of 1884. He married, in Springfield, Ohio, Lusetta, daughter of the late Philip and Mahalah (Shockey) Kiplinger, and they have three daughters and two sons: Jessie May, Lou Anna, Samuel Roberts, Henry Wagoner and Aurelia Veda. Rev. Andrew J. Fish is an earnest and indefatigable church worker, and an ardent temperance advocate. During his pastorate in Ohio he has dedicated seventeen churches for his own and sister denominations. In connection with the Central Ohio Methodist Episcopal Conference he instituted the '' Preacher's Aid Society,'' which has raised a fund of $22,000, has served as conference missionary treasurer for twelve years and has been usually accepted as a leader in his profession. He is a worthy member of the Masonic fraternity and of the United Order of Honor. Besides his very active professional works Rev. Andrew J. Fish has given some attention to accumulating a competency for the better rearing and education of his little family, and has been eminently successful in this particular. His musical attainments should be remarked, he being a graduate in composition, and he has produced some very fine arrangements in music. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


D. C. FISHER (deceased) late manufacturer, was born in Greensborough, Penn., July 27, 1821, son of John and Esther (Smith) Fisher, of pioneer German ancestry, in that State. Jacob Smith, father of Mrs. Esther Fisher, served all through the Revolutionary war as a worthy officer under Washington. D. C. Fisher learned carpentering in his native place and was prominently identified with the building interests of that locality for many years. In 1861 he retired from business there and came to Findlay, this county, to engage in the lumber trade, with which industry he was successfully connected up to his death. He was one of Findlay's most active citizens, and assisted materially in the development of many of its important manufacturing interests. In 1865 he built and established an extensive planing-mill and sash, door and blind factory, and upon the organization of the Findlay Stave and Handle Factory he became a leading proprietor, as also of the Findlay Manufacturing Company, both of which interests he retired from with loss. He married, November 12, 1850, in his native place, Deborah Miller, who bore him two sons and five daughters, of whom one son and four daughters survive: Harry W., Annabel (wife of Newton McLure), Addie M. (wife of Henry Byers), Bertha and Lulu, March 13, 1884. Mrs. Fisher passed away from this life in full communion with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is laid to rest in Maple Grove Cemetery. Mr. Fisher died October 5, 1885, aged sixty-four years, two months, eight days. The family are all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Fisher had been worthily connected for many years, and officially, in Findlay, for over twenty years. He was a member of the I. O. O. F. He always held aloof from public office, but served his adopted city with good repute in her councils. He was a worthy citizen, a genial gentleman and a public-spirited progressive business man, and his loss was deeply felt. In politics he was a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN B. FOLTZ, recorder of Hancock County, Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, July 22, 1844, son of Philip and Sarah (Hiestand) Foltz, natives of Virginia. Philip Foltz's father, Balthes Foltz, served in the war of 1812. They trace their ancestry in Virginia to 1796, the year of the advent of the first of the name from Germany in that State. Sarah Foltz was a daughter of the Rt. Rev. Samuel Hiestand, one of the first three bishops of the United Brethren Church in Virginia. The Hiestands belong to worthy German pioneers in that State. In 1823 Philip and Sarah Foltz settled in Fairfield County, Ohio, from Trumbull County, Va. (the home of many of the Foltzes and Hiestands), and in 1845 they removed to Van Buren Township, this county. They had ten children, of whom six sons and two daughters survive; the eldest son, a clever attorney, died at Ottawa, Ohio; a daughter is also deceased (neither of these two left issue). The family are all of good attainments, and occupy respectable positions in the social and industrial life of their respective localities. John B. Foltz spent his early life on the farm, and has been prominently identified with agriculture in Madison Township, this county, where he has held important official positions. He married, March 1, 1866, Elizabeth, daughter of Abram and Margaret Radabaugh, pioneers of Madison Township. Mr. and Mrs. Foltz have two sons and five daughters: Emma M., Abram J., Hattie A., Mollie M., Isabelle, Henry H. and Menda M. Our subject and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he has served as trustee and in other official capacities. Mr. Foltz has always been a public-spirited and enterprising farmer, of which industry he has always taken an active part in advancing here. In October, 1884, his constituents acknowledged his abilities by electing him, with a nice majority, to the recordership of Hancock County. In politics he is a Democrat. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JACOB FOSTER, farmer, Findlay, settled in Findlay Township, this county, December 24, 1828, and cleared the farm on Section 6. He has lived in town twenty years. He was united in marriage with Adeline De Witt, and they have eight children now living: Sarah, wife of Sylvester Geyer; Ellen, wife of Walter Watson; Mary, wife of Samuel Fisher; John; Edson; Hester, wife of John Lynes; Charlie, and Luia, wife of William Sultner. Mr. and Mrs. Foster attend the services of the Church of God. In politics he is a red hot Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


SAMUEL DUNBAR FREY, retired druggist, Findlay, was born in Somerset County, Penn., July 18, 1826, and comes of worthy German ancestry (on his father's side) in Maryland. His grandfather, Frey, settled in Baltimore, Md. (from Germany) where he was prominently connected with his profession of civil engineering and surveying, and did some important contracting and building, among which might be mentioned the National Road from Baltimore to Washington, D. C. He left a large family. Dr. William Frey, father of our subject, left a good practice in Pennsylvania and returned to Maryland, where he represented Alleghany County on different occasions in the Legislature of that State. He died in 1865, aged sixty-five years, leaving a family of seven sons and one daughter. Three of the sons have worthily represented the father's profession. Our subject completed a good education at Uniontown Academy, graduating in a classical and scientific course of study, and read medicine for a few years. He, however, disliked the practice of medicine, and turned his attention to other pursuits. In 1851 he came West, and was connected with railway building for some time with headquarters at Bellefontaine, Ohio. In 1857 he came to Findlay, and subsequently embarked in the drug business. He was married, in Somerset County, Penn., in 1851, to Priscilla B., daughter of John Slicer, and by her he has one son, William, who carries on the drug business. Mr. Frey has always been a liberal supporter of measures tending to the growth of his adopted city. He is a worthy Mason of over twenty-three years' standing, a liberal supporter of the Methodist Church, and socially is an excellent gentleman. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ISAIAH FOGLER, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, December 18, 1852. His parents, Christian and Mary Ann Fogler, natives of Fairfield County, Ohio, moved to Findlay Township, this county, about 1862, and from there in 1868 to the northern part of Jackson Township, this county, where they acquired a farm of about 5(K) acres of land. They next lived four years in Wyandot County, Ohio, and in the fall of 1883 moved to Wood County, Ohio, where they now reside. They have nine children living: Mrs. Lucretia Fellers, William, Isaiah, Mrs. Catherine Wiest, Jeremiah, Mrs. Esther Wiest, Mrs. Ida Shellenberger, Sherman and Sheridan. The subject of this sketch was united in marriage. April 6, 1876, with Sophia Wilde, a native of near Fremont, Sandusky Co., Ohio. Since their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Fogler have been living in Jackson Township, this county. Mr. Fogler is an enterprising young farmer and has here a fine farm of eighty acres of well improved land. In politics he is a Democrat. Mrs. Fogler is a member of the United Brethren Church. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


HENRY FRY, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in April, 1809, in Prussia, his parents being also natives of same. Our subject acquired his education in his native land, where he remained until 1832, at which time he came to America; he labored by the day and month to get a start for himself, and was one of the early settlers of Liberty Township, this county. His first purchase was eighty acres of land where he and his family reside, and by industry and economy he added to this eighty-acre tract until he at one time owned 590 acres. He has assisted his children to a start in the world, and now owns over 300 acres of fine land. Mr. Fry was united in marriage, in 1839, with Susan Spangler, and by this union there are fourteen children, twelve of whom are now living: John H., married to Sarah Rudisill; Susan, wife of Jefferson Readebaugh; Solomon, married to Susan Witters; Reuben, married to Mary Deal; Jacob, married to Katie Marshall; Benjamin, married to Laura Gross; Sarah E., wife of Zachariah Bish; Mary A., wife of Thomas Codner; James B., Elmer E., Sherman D., and Arvilla E., are still unmarried. The deceased are Clara E. and Emma Eliza. The family are members of the Church of God. In politics Mr. Fry is a Republican. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


S. W. FINK, farmer and proprietor of saw-mill, was born in Luzerne County, Penn., in 1849; son of Elias Fink, also a native of Pennsylvania. Our subject came to Ohio in 1876, and settled in Marion Township, this county. In 1879 he erected a saw-mill, which he has since carried on. He was united in marriage, in 1880, with Caroline, daughter of Charles Halloway of Findlay Township, this county; this union has been blessed with one child, Charles Glenville. Mr. Fink has built a comfortable house near his mill. He is an enterprising, wide-awake young man, and a good citizen. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


THOMAS FENTON, farmer, P. O. Cannonsburgh, born in Trumbull County, Ohio, February 25, 1823, is a son of Robert and Jane (McCrea) Fenton, natives of Pennsylvania and Ireland, respectively. They were married in Cumberland County, Penn., in 1808, and the same year, came to Ohio, locating in Trumbull County, and in 1836 removing to Richland Township, Allen Co., Ohio, where they died-Robert Fenton in 1852, and his widow in 1855. They were the parents of eight children: Samuel (died in Allen County, Ohio), Mary Ann, William, Margaret (died in Allen County, Ohio), Joseph (who also died in Allen County), Thomas, John and Elizabeth. All those now living are in Allen County, Ohio, except our subject, who resides in Hancock County. The father was a carpenter by trade, and an active member of and elder in the old Seceder Church. Thomas Fenton was first married, November 21, 1850, to Miss Delia Russell, of Richland Township, Allen County, Ohio, and a native of Medina County, Ohio, born August 10, 1833. By this marriage there were seven children: Phebe J., Mary I., Ebenezer, Emma, James T., John and Delia E. Their mother died February 12, 1866, and Mr. Fenton then married, October 2, 1870, Janurah Perse, of Union Township, this county, a native of Huron County, Ohio, born January 5, 1846. She had one son, Henry C. Perse. Mr. Fenton came to this county and to Orange Township, in 1861, where he has cleared and improved a large farm. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, of Cannonsburgh, Ohio. In politics he has been identified with the Democratic party. [History of Hancock co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails