Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line


JACOB W. GASSMAN
, clerk, Findlay, was born in Eppingen, Baden, March 7, 1845, son of William and Catherine Haasinger Gassman, who came to this country in 1848, the former of whom, a baker by trade, left his native country in consequence of the Revolution there, that he might enjoy his liberty in free America. William Gassman removed from Seneca County, Ohio, to Findlay, where he at present resides. Of his three sons and two daughters, Elizabeth is the wife of M. B. Weaver, of Valley Falls, Kas.; Emanuel and Daniel (twins) are invalids, and only Jacob W., who is the eldest, and Lena, the youngest, are now living at home. Upon the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion Jacob W. Gassman enlisted in Company A, Sixty-fifth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry, and did active and honorable service for over three years. He was wounded at the battle near Petersburg, Va., and after receiving an honorable discharge returned home and enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Ninety-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving two months. Mr. Gassman is a worthy citizen and an exemplary son, and since his father's health failed has taken entire charge of the family's support, and has attended to the necessities of his invalid brothers. He is a member of Stoner Post, G. A. R. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


EDWARD GEORGE, M. D., Van Huron, born in Mercer County, Penn., March 18, 1850, is the eldest son of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Harlow) George, natives, respectively, of Pennsylvania and Germany, and who came to this county in 1855, where they still reside. They have two children: Dr. Edward George and Louisa (wife of Orrin A. Ballard, of Findlay). Jonathan George, a carpenter by trade, is the son of John George, who was a soldier in the war of 1812. Dr. Edward George received his education in this county, and in early life clerked in a store. He commenced the study of medicine in 1872 under Drs. T. & T. C. Ballard, of Benton Ridge, Ohio, and took his first course in the medical department of the Michigan University in 1873-74; in 1875-76 he attended the Butler University, at Indianapolis, Ind., graduating therefrom February 25, 1876. In May of the same year he located in Van Buren, where he has since enjoyed an extensive practice. He was united in marriage, September 30, 1875, with Esther Whisler, daughter of Samuel Whisler, a merchant of Benton Ridge. The Doctor is a Republican in politics. He has filled the office of mayor of Van Buren. He united with the Presbyterian Church in January, 1882, and was elected and has served as Sabbath-school superintendent four years in succession, up to the present time. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ISRAEL W. GEORGE, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born December 27, 1850, in Amanda Township, this county, is a son of Peter and Mary (Woodruff) George, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Ohio. Peter George, born October 13, 1799, came to Ohio with his parents when five years old. They settled near Ball's Bluff, Fairfield County, where he remained until 1827; then came to Hancock County, Ohio, and entered 160 acres of land. In 1830 he married Mary Woodruff, by whom he had nine children: Hannah, Henry (deceased), Amanda, John (who served in Company G, Fifty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry), Eliza, Franklin (a member of the Forty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, was killed at the battle of Lost Mountain), Mary C. (Mrs. Harland, deceased), Sarah (wife of J. Siddall) and Israel W. Peter George was a successful farmer, and held the office of commissioner for several years. He died December 10, 1884, leaving his widow to the care of their children, among whom he divided 312 acres of land. Israel W. George received his education in Amanda Township, this county. September 21, 1882, he married Mary, daughter of William Cole, of Marion Township, this county. Two children have been born to this union: William K. and one that died in infancy. Mr. George has filled the office of township clerk, and is now township trustee, and a leading young farmer of his time. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


MATTHIAS GILLESPIE, lumberman, P. O. Findlay, was born in Findlay, May 10, 1835. His parents, William B. and Eliza Ann (Hamilton) Gillespie, natives of Virginia, were married in Hancock County, Ohio, in 1832; the former came to this county when a young man, and the latter came here in 1825 with her parents, John P. and Martha (Barnes) Hamilton, who entered the farm now owned by Aaron Baker, situate partly within the limits of Findlay. Mr. Hamilton was one of the first commissioners of Hancock County. Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. William B. Gillespie sold their place in this county in 1870, and moved to Kansas, where the former died in 1872; after the death of her husband our subject's mother returned to Findlay, where she died in 1875. Of the six children born to William B. and Eliza Ann Gillespie only two are now living: John P., of Allen County, Kas., and Matthias. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native city and received his education in the schools of that place. He was united in marriage, October 21, 1859, with Mrs. Cornelia P. Webster, a native of Massachusetts, who came to Ohio in 1850 with her parents, Oliver and Lucy Taylor, and to this county in 1854. Our subject has one son, Wellington Oliver. Mi. Gillespie has followed the lumber business nearly all his life, and has carried on a saw-mill in this county during the entire time. He established in his present location in 1874, and here he has a mill site and home on Blanchard River and the Findlay and Carey road. Our subject has led a very busy and useful life, and, in addition to his property here, has acquired a tract of 320 acres of land in the State of Missouri. He is an earnest Republican, and takes an active interest in public affairs, having hardly been free from the duties of office since attaining his majority. He has served his township as clerk, trustee, in fact, almost all the offices of the township have been filled by him at various times. Mr. Gillespie is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Mrs. Gillespie of the Presbyterian. He is a man of strict integrity, a useful citizen, highly respected by the entire community in which he lives. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


F. H. GLESSNER, editor of the Hancock Courier, Findlay, was born in Delaware, Ohio; son of Lewis and Georgiana (Cowles) Glessner, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively. In 1861 Lewis Glessner came to Findlay with his family from Delaware County and purchased the Hancock Courier, which he ably carried 011 till his death in 1879. He had learned the chairmaking business, and later engaged in farming and stock raising in Delaware County, which he carried on till coming to Findlay. He reared a family of five sons and four daughters, of whom William L. is publisher of the Recorder at Americus, Ga.; Leonard C. is publisher of The Earth at Sedalia, Mo.; Douglas is publisher of the News at Griffin, Ga.; Fred H. is editor and publisher of the Hancock Courier. Edward, the second son, a member of the Fifty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, died of wounds received at the battle of Kenesaw Mountain. The mother is living with her daughters and is proprietor of the Hancock Courier; she is a worthy woman and mother, and an ardent worker for the Ladies' Benevolent Society in Findlay. Fred H., our subject, was reared to the profession of journalism, and after his father's death took charge of the paper, which he has ably conducted since. He has always been a public spirited and progressive citizen, and has contributed in no small degree to the advancement of the social and industrial life of his locality. He assisted in the organization of the Findlay Natural Gas Company, and served as its secretary, and upon the second year of its existence as its president. Mr. Glessner is an active member and secretary of the Findlay Improvement Company. He was united in marriage at Findlay, in 1872, with Ara A., daughter of Henry Isham, Esq., of Findlay. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


LEWIS GLESSNER (deceased) was born in Somerset County, Penn., September 1, 1811, and when six years of age removed to Columbiana County, Ohio, with his parents, who settled in the woods, where he remained at farm work (meantime learning a trade at New Lisbon) until 1833, when he located at Delaware, Ohio. In 1861 he came to Findlay, Ohio, and purchased the Hancock Courier, which, in company with his son, W. L. Glessner, he published till 1865. He then began publishing the Newark, Ohio, Advocate, which was continued by him for a year and a half, after which he returned to Findlay and again assumed control of the Hancock Courier, to which, from that time, he devoted his undivided energies. Thus for nearly eighteen years he was identified with the business interests of this section, as well as being the molder and expounder of the principles of the political party of his convictions and choice. He did not make the Hancock Courier "'a stepping stone to something else." He never sought nor claimed any other reward for his labor in behalf of his party, or in advocating the general good, than the approval of his own conscience and the knowledge that his efforts were appreciated. While at any time the people would gladly have called him to the councils of the State and Nation, they knew his ambition was to serve in the sphere he had chosen. Rarely do we find such singleness of purpose as displayed by him. Acting from the highest motives the editor of the Hancock Courier was thus able to take a fearless, independent position, that gave his utterances weight in the councils of his party, and won for him the respect of those whose principles he opposed. Not a great while before his death, which occurred March 13, 1879, he constructed a handsome brick building, the '' Courier Block,'' and at the dedication of the building a large gathering of friends of the paper and personal friends of Mr. Glessner took place, and congratulatory addresses were made, which gave evidence of the high esteem in which the publisher was hold. In Mr. Glessner's reply to these addresses, he said, among other things: "In purchasing the Courier and locating here, I did so with the purpose of becoming identified with the interests, improvements, growth and prosperity of Findlay and Hancock County, and if the course pursued by the Courier has been such as to foster and encourage a spirit of substantial public improvement of streets, sewerage, public and private buildings, or otherwise improving and beautifying our thriving town, to the greater health and comfort of its people; if, by precept or example it has induced the planting of one more shade tree, or ornamental shrub, or bed of flowers, to cheer some weary mortal on life's journey, than would otherwise have been planted, its aim, as a local paper, has been partially accomplished and the labors of its editors have not been altogether in vain." Lewis Glessner was married, April 8, 1838, in Delaware, Ohio, to Georgiana Cowles, by whom he was blessed with a large family. A writer says, relative to Mr. Glessner's death, he was well thought of and respected abroad, as well as in Hancock County, where he had hosts of friends. A life of integrity and purity, such as he lived, is an unspeakable blessing. It is something to live such a life, it is much for a community to lose it." Mr. Glessner was a kind husband, and was blessed in having a wife ready to sympathize with him in all his trials, and rejoice with him in all his successes. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ABDIEL GOBRECHT, farmer, P. O. Arlington, was born January 14, 1831, in York County, Penn., son of William and Elizabeth Gobrecht, who resided in Pennsylvania until their death. Our subject married. March 8, 1852, Miss Caroline M. Hinch, and they then came to Delaware Township, this county, in the fall of 1853, and bought a tract of eighty acres of land, where they now reside, and which they have improved and developed, making it one of the finest farms in this part of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Gobrecht reared eight children: Mrs. Elizabeth Lackey (deceased), Mrs. Mary Treece, Mrs. Emma Bowman, William E., Oliver T., Etta May, Jacob W. and Carrie Myrtle. Mr. Abdiel Gobrecht is a Democrat in politics. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Protestant Church. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


SAMUEL FORD GREER, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, was born in Delaware Township, this county, July 8, 1851, son of John Greer, who was born May 15, 1812, in Stark County, Md. His parents moved to Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1816, finally settling in Delaware Township, this county, in the spring of 1825. Here John Greer married, in 183(5, Miss Mary Brown, who was born in June, 1813, in Pickaway County, Ohio, and came to this county about 1832; they settled on a farm in Delaware Township, this county, near Mount Blanchard, which they afterward sold, and then entered another place of 168 acres, one mile east of Mount Blanchard; they reared twelve children: Joshua (who died in California). John (residing in California), Mrs. Sarah Armstrong (in Missouri), Henry (in California), Eliza (in California), William, Nathan (in California), Mrs. Ellen Cole. Mrs. Charlotte Elder, Samuel Ford, Mrs. Harriet Messimore, and Jefferson (in California). The father died October 24, 1882; the mother now resides in Mount Blanchard, this county. The subject of this sketch married, February 1(5, 1871, Miss Catherine Corbin, and after residing for five years in Amanda Township, this county, they located in Delaware Township, where they now reside and own 112 acres of land. Their children are Darwin, Jefferson, Elmer, Virgie, Bertie and John. Mr. Greer is a Democrat in politics. He is a successful farmer and an enterprising man, enjoying the respect of the entire community. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JACOB GROSE, farmer and stock raiser, P O. Findlay, was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., April 25, 1825, son of Jacob and Margaret (Sheddinger) Grose, natives of Bucks County, Penn., and of German descent. Our subject's great-grandfather, in company with two brothers, came to America before the war of the Revolution, and settled in Bucks County, Penn. In religion they were Mennonites. The father of our subject died in Wayne County, Ohio; his family consisted of eleven children. Jacob Grose, the subject of this sketch, was roared on u farm; served an apprenticeship of three years and a half at the cabinet maker's trade, which he followed for twelve years. He was united in marriage, in I848, with Mary Sherick, a native of Pennsylvania, of German descent. Her parents, Peter and Barbara (Funk) Sherick, now reside in Findlay, this county. Our subject and wife are parents of six children: David S., a school teacher and farmer; Peter J., Harriet E., Jacob I., Laura J. and William E. Mr. and Mrs. Grose are members of the Baptist Church of God. He has been trustee and school director for nine years, and clerk of the board. He is the owner of 326 acres of land, and takes great interest in the Grange movement, of which organization he is a charter member, and has filled the office of overseer in the order. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


E. L. GROVES, meat market, Macomb, was born in Blanchard 'Township, this county, February 6, 1861, son of Savadra and Lucinda (Fisher), Groves, natives of Ohio, of German and English descent. Savadra came to this county in 1828, with his father, Thomas Groves, and departed this life in 1877, aged fifty-three years. His widow still survives. Of their two children, E. L. alone is living. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, received a fair English education, and successfully followed the occupation of farming. He is the owner of 100 acres of land, on which he resides. He was married, December 30, 1885, to Alice McKinnis. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


L. C. GROVES, farmer and stock raiser, and postmaster of Oak Ridge, was born in Blanchard Township, this county, April 24, 1833, son of Thomas and Adaline (Choate) Groves, the former a native of Virginia, of German descent, and the latter a native of Vermont, of English descent. Thomas Groves, who was an early settler in this county, died in 1880. His family consisted of thirteen children, ten of whom grew to maturity, L. C. being the fourth. Our subject was reared on a farm, attended the common school and chose agriculture for his occupation in life. In 1856 he was united in marriage with Geninia, daughter of David Braucht, who entered 600 acres of land in this county in an early day and passed the remainder of his life here. Mr. and Mrs. Groves have two children: Izoia and Estella, wife of John Collingwood, a farmer in this county. Mr. Groves is the owner of 200 acres of cultivated land. He has filled the office of trustee for five years and school director for eleven years, and is at present postmaster of Oak Ridge. He became a member of the Masonic fraternity at Findlay, and has attained the degree of Master Mason in that order. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


CAPT. JOSEPH F. GUTZWILLER, United States Messenger, House of Congress, Washington, D. C., Findlay, was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., April 30, 1842, son of Victor and Catharine (Monk) Gutzwiller, natives of Switzerland and Alsace, France (now Germany), respectively. Victor Gutzwiller who was born in Basel, in the Canton of Basel, Switzerland, came to this country when a lad, and learned harness-making in Pittsburgh, where he married. In 1857 he removed to Mansfield, Ohio, where he now resides. He reared eight children-five sons and three daughters -of whom the following survive: Joseph F., Victor (an attorney at law in Cleveland, Ohio), Henry (in railroad business in Mansfield, Ohio), Mary (wife of Frank Jonas, cigar manufacturer in Upper Sandusky, Ohio), Lizzie (wife of William Epke, also a cigar manufacturer in Upper Sandusky) and Rosa P. (wife of Edward Christian, of Lima). The subject of this sketch, after receiving a good rudimentary education at the Roman Catholic Schools of Pittsburgh, completed it at Mansfield. In 1861 he entered the military service in Company H, Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, upon the first call doing honorable duty for the term of service. He then re-enlisted in Company F, Eighty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was wounded at the battle of Bull Run, and was promoted for gallant service to the second lieutenancy of Company F. He soon after received promotion to first lieutenancy: at Chancellorsville he was taken prisoner in May, 1863; was exchanged just before the battle of Gettysburg, and received promotion to the captaincy of Company D, at Gettysburg, in which rank he served till the close of the war. After that he returned to Mansfield, Ohio, and in 1865 came to Findlay, this county, where he has been favorably known since. For three years he served as assistant sergeant-at-arms of the Ohio Legislature, and for two years as such of the Constitutional Convention. In 1877 he was elected recorder of Hancock County, which incumbency he honorably filled for six consecutive years. December 11, 1883. Captain Gutzwiller was appointed messenger in the House of Representatives at Washington, which position he ably holds. He married, in Findlay, May 7, 1867, Delia S., daughter of Jacob and Delia (Grate) Rosenberg, pioneers of this county, the former having held several important official positions in the early history of the county, being sheriff for several years. Mr. and Mrs. Gutzwiller have one son and one daughter: Francis Joseph and Lula M. The family are regular communicants of the Roman Catholic Church. Our subject is a member of St. Michael's Benevolent Society and of Stoker Post, G. A. R. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails