Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line


JOHN HADDOX
, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Gilboa, Putnam County, was born in Franklin County. Ohio, January 28 1830, eldest child of Mordecai and Margaret (Lanters) Haddox, the latter a native of Germany. They were parents of five children. Mordecai Haddox, the father of our subject, born in Virginia of German parentage, and who was engaged in farming all his life, came to this county in 1830 and entered 160 acres of land (where Samuel Haddox now resides) in Blanchard Township. He died in 1879. John Haddox, the subject of this sketch, was reared on the farm, attended the common schools and has been engaged in farming all his life. He has been successful and is the owner of a fine farm of 220 acres of land under a high state of cultivation. In 1854 he was united in marriage with Lydia, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Byscl) Bower; Mr. Bower was born in 1803, and has resided on a farm in Blanchard Township, this county, for many years. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Haddox are Elizabeth Alice, wife of S., A. Van Sickle; Lucinda Jane, wife of L. M. Orsborn; George P., at home; Harry P. and William Francis. The family are all members of the United Brethren Church, of which Mr. Haddox has been trustee and classleader for several years. In politics he is a Republican. He takes a great interest in the schools of his district and is at present serving his fourth term as school director. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


JOSEPH HAGERMAN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in New Jersey, in 1815, son of Joseph and Susan Hagerman, who removed to Northampton County, Penn., where Joseph, Jr., was reared. In 1863 our subject came West, and after spending a few years in Wood County, Ohio, settled in Findlay Township, this county, in 1867. He married in Pennsylvania, Miss Catherine Zlisloft, and they have four sons and three daughters: Corson, a farmer, in Portage Township, this county; Susan, wife of Noah Spitler, in Portage Township, this county; Addition, in Findlay, Ohio; Mary, wife of Lewis Chamberlain; Sarah, wife of William Stewart, of Seneca County, Ohio; Sandford and Daniel. Mr. and Mrs. Hagerman attended the services of the English Lutheran Church. He has accumulated a nice property, the result of his own unaided labor, and has reared his family well. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


DAVID P. HAGERTY, farmer and school examiner, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fayette County, Penn., April 3, 1844, son of Samuel J. and Maria (Gween) Hagerty, natives of Pennsylvania, the former of Irish and the latter of English descent. Samuel J. Hagerty was a stone-mason in early life, and afterward became a farmer; his family consisted of five children-three daughters and two sons - our subject being the eldest son. David P. Hagerty was reared on the farm, received a liberal education, and, on reaching his majority, commenced teaching school in Pennsylvania, where he taught for four terms, and also farmed. He came to this county in 1874 and taught school here for some time, but, for the last year or two has devoted his time to farming, in which pursuit he has been successful. He now owns 1211 acres of land, well stocked, and with a good house and barn upon it. Mr. Hagerty is a great reader and a liberal purchaser of books. October 19, 1865 he was united in marriage with Sarah, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Sloterback), Browneller, the latter a native of Pennsylvania and of German descent. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Hagerty are Lizzie D., Albert L., Anna B., Samuel J. and Emma O. Mr. Hagerty is a Democrat in politics, also justice of the peace, and now a member of the board of school examiners of this county. His great-grandmother, who is a descendant of the house of Burgess, holds the title to Staten Island, New York. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


MELANCTHON S. HAMLIN
, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, was born July 29, 1818, on the present site of Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio. At the age of six years he came with his parents to Crawford County, Ohio, and in March following (1825) they started for this county, landing in Delaware Township after a three days' trip with oxen and wagon, and here they endured the hardships and privations peculiar to pioneer life in those early days. The mother died in this county in 1837 and the father afterward moved to Wyandot County, Ohio, and there died in 1854. At the age of nineteen years our subject purchased, of Henry Green, a tract of eighty acres of land; this was his first venture in real estate. January 30, 1840, Mr. Hamlin was married to Miss Mary Marshall, and they settled down to their life work in Delaware Township, this county. Our subject engaged in farming and buying and selling stock, and adding to his farm until he now has, in and adjoining the town of Mount Blanchard, 720 acres of as good land as there is in the county. In 1854 he established a general merchandise store which he carried on until 1861. In 1882 he began the erection of a brick edifice on his place; this he has completed and it stands to-day one of the largest, best constructed and finely finished residences in northwestern Ohio. To Melancthon S. Hamlin and wife have been born one son, John M., residing in Findlay, Ohio, and one daughter, Mrs. Eliza J. McVay, residing in Mount Blanchard, this county. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


W. S. HAMMAKER, present postmaster of Findlay, was born at Tiffin, Ohio, December 28, 1851, and was left an orphan at the age of three years by the death of his father. He received his schooling at a country school near Tiffin, and at the age of fifteen entered the office of the Seneca Advertiser, the Democratic organ of Seneca County. Remaining here two years he went to New York to join the sympathizers with Cuba (in her struggle for freedom from the parent country, Spain), who were prevented from sailing by the United States authorities. He then proceeded to New Bedford Mass., where he joined a whaling expedition to the Indian Ocean, and spent four years off the coast of Australia and among the East India Islands, serving on board the bark "Mermaid." In 1874 he returned to Tiffin and entered the Tiffin Star office as foreman, but was soon after promoted to city editor, which position he relinquished several months later for a similar place on the Wyandot Union, a paper published at Upper Sandusky, Ohio. Here he remained nearly two years, when he again accepted the city editorship of the Tiffin Daily and Weekly Star; but in a few months, the proprietors having made an assignment, Mr. Hammaker went back to the Wyandot Union and continued in service there until early in 1877, when he purchased the Bloomville Banner, running it about a year, but becoming dissatisfied with the narrow field, closed the office and returned to Tiffin, where he assisted in founding the Gazette, the best paper that city ever had, acting as its local editor, solicitor and collector. In January 1879, Mr. Hammaker came to Findlay, having accepted the position of local editor of the Jeffersonian, which place he continued to hold about five years, and assisted in establishing the Daily Jeffersonian, a paper that has been on a paying basis from the start. He worked for the Jeffersonian at different periods, left that paper in 1882 and started the Daily Star, continuing its publication twenty-one months, doing very well, from a financial standpoint, but finally sold the office, together with the good-will of the paper, to the proprietor of the Jeffersonian, and returned to his old position on that journal, where he remained until appointed postmaster by President Cleveland, in November, 1885. The subject of this sketch has always been an unswerving Democrat, but never sought any office except the one he now occupies, to which he was twice elected by its Democratic patrons. He was married in 1874 to Miss Emma Six, of Tiffin, the ceremony taking place at Put-in-Bay. The union has been blessed with six children-three sons and three daughters-all of whom are living. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


CHESTER M. HARRIS
, farmer and stock dealer, P. O. Mt. Blanchard, was born October 7, 1856, in Delaware Township, this county, on the farm on which he now resides. After completing a course in the home district school he attended three terms at Mt. Blanchard school and then engaged in teaching for two terms in Marion County, Ohio, in the intervals attending the Marion High School. September 9, 1879, Mr. Harris married Miss Lizzie A. Lee, daughter of Martin Lee, of Marion County, Ohio, and they then settled on the old homestead farm, where they still reside. They have two sons: Earl C. and Clark J. Mr. and Mrs. Harris are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is an earnest Republican and takes a deep interest in public affairs. He is an enterprising and energetic young farmer, enjoying the respect of the community in which he lives. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


JACOB HARRIS, Esq. (deceased), was born June 26, 1828, in Columbiana County, Ohio, and came to this county with his parents, William and Nancy (Sterling) Harris, about 1836. Both his parents lived to an advanced age and died in this county. Jacob Harris completed his education under the Rev. Emerson, in Mt. Blanchard, Ohio. He early engaged in teaching, a profession he followed for about twelve years. He married Miss Susan E. Chase April 22, 1852, and they moved at once to their farm in Delaware Township, this county, where they went to work in the woods clearing up and developing a fine farm. They retired from this in November, 1879, and moved to Mt. Blanchard, this county, where Mr. Harris died August 23, 1880. He was a life long Republican and was prominent in public affairs. He served as township clerk for seven years and justice of the peace for twelve years, being elected unanimously the last term. Mr. and Mrs. Harris were parents of four children: Mrs. Tamsen R. Drake. Chester M., Judah E. (deceased) and Luella A. Mrs. Harris now resides in Mt. Blanchard, this county; she and her entire family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


S. M. HARTMAN, farmer, P. O. Van Buren, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, November 11, 1844, son of Samuel J. and Eva (Whonsetler) Hartman, natives of Washington County, Penn., reared a family of ten children. The mother and seven of her children are still living. The father, who engaged in farming during his life, was a son of Peter Hartman, who, with many brothers, served in the war of 1812. S. M. Hartman, the subject of this sketch, came to this county in 1872, and has since resided here, having a farm of seventy-six and a half acres of land. He was united in marriage, November 29, 1867, with Julia A. Zimmerman, daughter of Henry Zimmerman, formerly of Wayne County, Ohio. Ten children have been born to this union: Charles O., Ettie G., S. Delia, Fannie S., Zoa A., Samuel T. (deceased), Jessie E., Wella Z., Oda L. and Henry B. In politics Mr. Hartman is a Prohibitionist. The family are members of the United Brethren Church. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN F. HASTINGS
, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Richland County, Ohio, September 14, 1850, son of Joseph and Mary (Alexander) Hastings, the former of Merrimack County, N. H., the latter of Richland County, Ohio, and the daughter of Peter Alexander, Esq., of Maryland stock. In 1875 Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hastings, with their family of one son and two daughters, removed to this county, where Joseph Hastings now owns 420 acres of land, and in February, 1876, he buried his wife; his family are John F., the subject of this sketch; Elizabeth Jane, and Mary Isadore, wife of Philip J. Reimund, of Liberty Township, this county. Joseph Hastings died February 12, 1886, deeply regretted by a large number of relatives and friends. While in Richland County, Ohio, he served with credit in many public offices, but after coming to this county he has held aloof from public office and has given his attention to his farming interests. As a worthy citizen he was highly respected everywhere. John F. Hastings married, in Richland. County, Ohio, Miss Nancy Jane, daughter of Melzar and Abigail (Crawford) Coulter, and by her he has three sons and two daughters: Alphens Melvin, Mary Abigail, Jane Lyadell, John Laverne and Charles. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


W. H. HAVEN, druggist, Findlay, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, November 12, 1841; son of Dr. P. L. and Maria (Swindler) Haven, the former descended from worthy pioneers of Massachusetts; the latter of Pennsylvania pioneers. Dr. P. L. Haven located at New Lisbon, Ohio, from Pittsburgh, Penn., about 1839, and died at Mansfield, Ohio, in 1849, leaving three sons and two daughters (of whom two sons and a daughter survive): John P., clerking for W. H.; Amelia H., widow of the late C. N. Locke, of the Tiffin Tribune, a resident of Findlay; James L., who died in the United States Military Service, in the Big Sandy Campaign, in 1862, in Kentucky; Mary E. (deceased wife of E. S. Kimber, of Kansas City, Mo.) and W. H. In 1850 our subject became apprenticed to merchandising here in the store of Hugh Newell. He afterward took up the drug trade, and in 1859 embarked in it on his own account at Ottawa, Ohio. In 1861 he sold his interest there, enlisting his services in the army, and was with the Ninety-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in the commissary department, till 1864, when he joined the Mississippi and West Gulf Squadron, with which he remained till the close of the war, retiring at that time from the charge of the United States steamer ''Peri.'' After the war he traveled in the interest of the drug trade and read medicine. He subsequently practiced his profession, but, in 1868, engaged in manufacturing, which he followed for several years. In 1876 he purchased his present business which he has raised to a leading prominence here. He was married, in Michigan, to Nancy J. Rawson, niece of Dr. Bass Rawson. To this union were born five children: Clarence, Ruth (deceased), Emma, Mary and Elsie. Mrs. Haven is a member of the Presbyterian Church, to which her husband is a liberal contributor. Mr. Haven is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council, Findlay, and Shawnee Commandery, F. & A. M. at Lima. He is also a member of K. of P., Royal Arcanum, and Stoker Post, G. A. R. He is a member of the Ohio State Pharmaceutical Association, and was one of the original committee who drafted the bill for the new pharmaceutical law of Ohio. He is also a member of the Traders' and Travelers' Association of New York City. He has worked his way up in business, and, through his own indefatigable exertions has accumulated a nice competency. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


EDWIN R. HAY
, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, March 15, 1830, son of Peter and Christiana (Platter) Hay, both of whom are of direct descent from German people. Our subject was reared to farming, with which he was successfully connected in Fairfield County, Ohio, until 1870, when he came to this county and subsequently took up his present property in Findlay Township, which he has very handsomely improved. Mr. Hay married, in this county, Angelicia, second daughter of Amos and Abigail (Bigelow) Frisbie, who settled in this county in 1865. Mrs. Hay departed this life in 1879, leaving two children: Abigail and Charles. Of the regaining family of Mr. Frisbie only one daughter survives- Celestia- who has never married; she assists her brother-in-law, our subject, in the charge of her sister's family. Edwin R. Hay is a public-spirited citizen and a clever business man. He has always held aloof from public office, but has done his share for the public good when called upon. At the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion he enlisted in Company A. Sixty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he held a lieutenancy during his term of service. Mr. Hay is a liberal contributor to measures advancing the public welfare. He is a kind and indulgent father, and a worthy gentleman. In politics he is a Democrat. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


PRESLEY E. HAY, clerk of the court of common pleas, and county clerk of Hancock County, Findlay, was born in Girard Township, Erie Co., Penn., December 1(5, 1844; son of John and Nancy (Laughlin) Hay, pioneers there. He was reared to farming, which he followed, together with lumber milling. In 1880 he came to this county, and engaged in lumber milling here, with which industry he has been actively connected since. He had meanwhile become favorably known to the people of this county, and in October, 1884, they acknowledged their appreciation of him by electing him as their clerk, a deserving compliment to him as a Republican, in a Democratic county. He married in his native township Martha, daughter of Giles B. Cole, and by her he has one son and two daughters: William Clinton, Carrie and Lottie. Mr. Hay is a member of the A.O.U.W., K. of P. and I.O.O.F. societies. He is an active, energetic business man, and a worthy official, and has by his upright conduct drawn around him warm friends from all political circles. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


ANDERSON C. HECK
, dealer in lumber, lath, shingles and all kinds of building material, Findlay, was born in Findlay, Ohio, October 11, 1854, son of George and Martha (Maish) Heck, natives of Cumberland County, Penn., of German pioneer ancestry, and who settled in Findlay in 1844; both are still in active life; their family consists of the following named children: Catherine, wife of David Sherk; John; Sarah, wife of Joseph Lytle; William; Mary, wife of Frank Gardner; George; Anderson C., Joseph and Bird, widow of Willis Kimmel. Of these George and Mary reside in Allegan County, Mich., all the others being residents of this county. The deceased are Susan, wife of William Watson; Harry, Jacob and an infant. Anderson C. Heck spent his early life in mercantile pursuits, and was connected with the hardware trade in Findlay, Ohio, for ten years, but retired from same recently to engage in his present business. He married, in 1879, Miss Jennie E. Livingston, and to them have been born two children: Birdie Marie and Clare Gerald (the latter deceased). Mr. and Mrs. Heck attend the services of the Presbyterian Church, of which she is a worthy member, and to which he is a liberal contributor. Upon the organization of the board appointed to conduct the building of Findlay College, Mr. Heck became an active member, and served with credit until the completion of that work. Our subject is vice-president of the Findlay Natural Gas Company, and was lessee and manager of the Opera House in Findlay, Ohio, for two years. He is at present building a large sash and blind factory in Findlay. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


JOHN HECK, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in York County, Penn., October 11, 1836, son of George' and Martha (Maish) Heck, who settled in this county in 1844. Our subject spent his early life in farming, and, with the exception of a few intermissions, has been actively connected with that industry since. He married, December 18, 1856, Miss Lydia, daughter of Peter Sherick, Esq., of Wayne County, Ohio, and by her he has two sons and a daughter: Barbara Etta, wife of Saxon C. Shoupe, of Wyandot County, Ohio; David and William, worthy young farmers of Findlay Township, this county. Mr. Heck has always been active and energetic, and has accumulated a handsome fortune, the reward of his industry, owning now 280 acres of valuable land and some valuable town property in Findlay, Ohio. He is public-spirited, and contributes freely to worthy measures. He is an active member of the Church of God, and an honored official in that body. Upon the building of the beautiful college in Findlay, this county, Mr. Heck donated $500 in cash, and assisted in many other ways toward the completion of that noble edifice. In politics he is a Republican. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


MARTIN HIRSHER, proprietor of pottery works and stone quarry, Findlay, was born in Thengen, in Baden, August 17, 1829, son of John George and Mary (Marter) Hirsher, the former a maker of brick. He came to America in 1852, and remained in Dayton, Ohio, until 1854, in which year he moved to Xenia, Ohio, where he resided until 1857. He then spent two years in Bellefontaine, Ohio, and came to this county in 1859. Mr. Hirsher was united in marriage, at Xenia, Ohio, with Elizabeth Enz, a native of Gimildingen, Bavaria, who bore him ten children: Louisa, Charlie, George, John, Henry, Benjamin, Willie, Fred, Nellie and Flora. Our subject learned pottery-making in his native country. He has been successful in his several enterprises, and has accumulated a nice competency. His ostensible business is pottery-making, but he also carries on an extensive stone quarry. He is an energetic business man and an esteemed citizen; is public-spirited, and contributes his share to all worthy public enterprises. The family attend the German Reformed Church. Mr. Hirsher is a worthy member of the I.O.O.F. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


PETER HOSLER, president of the Farmers' Bank of Findlay, was born in York County, Penn., May 14, 1821, son of Christian and Mary (Gansler) Hosler, natives of that county, and of Swiss pioneer descent. His parents moved to Stark County, Ohio, in 1823, with a family of five sons and two daughters, five sons and three daughters being born to them after their arrival in the State. Christian Hosler was a cooper by trade, and was connected with it and farming in different parts of Ohio, moving from Stark to Wayne, and from Wayne to Seneca Counties. He died in Bloom Township, latter county, in 1865, where his wife had also departed this life, in 1862. Our subject completed learning the carpenter's trade in Stark and Wayne Counties, and at the age of twenty-two years came to Hancock County, where he was prominently identified with the building industry for several years. In 1850 he engaged in farming and stock raising, and has been one of the most successful men in that connection in this portion of the State. He has ever been a leader in the development of social and industrial matters in this locality, and has served his (Washington) township as treasurer and in other official positions. In 1874 he was elected treasurer of Hancock County, which position he creditably filled until 1880, when, upon retiring, he established the present bank, which he has since ably presided over. He had, however, been a stockholder and supporter in banking and railroad interests here for several years. Mr. Hosier was married, in Stark County, in 1842, to Susan, daughter of Conrad Sherman, and a native of Maryland, and estimable lady and worthy help-mate to him, who has blessed him with a large family--eight sons and four daughters: Jeremiah, Thomas Benton, Morrison and David are all able farmers in Washington Tywuship, this county; Sarah Ellen is the wife of Frederick Manieke of Fostoria, Ohio; William F. (youngest son) is assistant cashier in the Farmers' Bank at Findlay. The deceased are Mary Catharine, Frances Adelia, Cora Bell, George Henry, Marcus Peter and Huston (the latter died in Washington Township, leaving a widow and two sons: Charles, with the mother on the farm, and Peter, a bright young lad, with his grandparents here). Mr. and Mrs. Hosler have been worthy members of the Lutheran Church for many years. They are highly esteemed citizens of Findlay and Hancock County, and have the pleasure of seeing their children taking an important part in the interests of this county. Mr. Hosler is a man of strong constitution and vigorous disposition (he stands about six feet, and is compactly built), and bids fair to serve his time and place in the rank of Hancock County's leading pioneers. In politics he is a Democrat. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


DAVID HOUDESHELL, merchant, Arlington, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, February 16, 1823, son of George and Catherine (Bibler) Houdeshell, Americans by birth, but of German descent, the former of whom, a farmer, and in politics an earnest Democrat, did active service in the war of 1812. Our subject came to this county in 183(5, and has since resided here, engaged chiefly in general farming. In 1884 he opened a hardware store in Arlington, and, with his sons, gives most of his attention to his mercantile interests. Mr. Houdeshell has filled the office of treasurer for his township, and is one of its representative German citizens. He married, February 19, 1846, Miss Mary A. Funk, daughter of Martin Funk, an old pioneer of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Houdeshell have eight children living: Lydia A., Catherine J., George D., Daniel H., Sarah M., Manuel J., John E. and Nancy L. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


SAMUEL D. HOUPT, dealer in dry goods, clothing, etc., Findlay, was born in Melmore, Seneca Co., Ohio, May 12, 1841, son of Henry and Julia Ann (Gehringer) Houpt, natives of Pennsylvania, and of pioneer people in that State. Henry Houpt located in Seneca County in 1836. He was a carriage builder by profession, and carried on his business at Melmore and at McCutchenville. At the latter place he completed the contract for building the National Coach Line (a large contract in those days), and stood contemporaneous in his business with the late Peter Van Nest, of Tiffin, Ohio. He died at McCutchenville in 1880, leaving two sons and one daughter: Samuel D., Thomas and Mary, now the wife of M. V. Gibson, of Upper Saudusky, Ohio. The subject of this sketch, at the age of fourteen, was apprenticed in the store of M. Brockley, merchant, of McCutchenville. In 1860 he came to Findlay, and after selling goods for two years, went as sutler in the Second Missouri Regiment. After the war of the Rebellion he sold goods for a few years, and in 1866 embarked in the business of merchant tailoring on his own account, being joined the following year by Henry Byal, his father-in-law, in general merchandise. After about two years Mr. Byal retired from the business, since which time Mr. Houpt has carried it on alone. He was married, in 1864, to Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Byal, Esq. They have no children. Our subject has ever been a liberal contributor to the social and industrial interests of his city and county, and, although adverse to holding office, he has served for six years with credit in the councils of the city; as a member of the board of trustees of the Ohio Institute for the Blind, and for two years on the board of trustees for the Ohio Industrial School at Lancaster. In 1884 he was elected delegate from this district to the Democratic National Convention, and aided materially in the nomination of Grover Cleveland. Latterly he has paid some considerable attention to experimental inventions, and has in his "Carbon Transmitter, or Microphone," one of the most important advantages in telephoning. He has added very materially to the use of natural gas by his "Natural Gas Burner," an invention deserving of important notice in the consumption of that production here. He has always been a progressive business man and has accumulated a handsome competency. Upon the organization of the Findlay Natural Gas Company he took an active part, and has since served as one of the board of directors. He and wife attend services at the Presbyterian Church. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


CAPT. SAMUEL HOWARD, ex-treasurer of Hancock County, Findlay, was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., December 7, 1814, son of John and Abigail (Simpson) Howard, natives of that county. The grandfather of John Howard, a native of Ireland, settled in Maryland. The grandfather of Abigail (Simpson) Howard, a Welshman, was a pioneer settler in Maryland. In 1815 John Howard removed to Richland County, Ohio, where he had previously been, having served under Gen. Harmon in the war of 1812-14, and assisted in building Fort Meigs. In 1833 he came here and entered land in Portage Township, and died in 1875 or 1876. Our subject, when a lad, assisted his father in clearing land here, and eventually became interested in farming and stock raising, in which he has been uniformly successful. He was married in Wood County, Ohio, in 1837, to Elizabeth, daughter of George and Amy Carrel, Pennsylvania pioneers, and also of Wood County, Ohio. Capt. and Mrs. Howard have had eleven children, six of whom are living - two sons and four daughters: Nancy (wife of William Adrain, merchant, of Mansfield, Ohio), Mary (wife of J. R. McLeod, physician, of Benton, Ohio), Dallas (farming in this county), Margaret (wife of Joseph Goodwin, of Findlay), Isabel (wife of Thomas Clifford, of Findlay) and John L. (a farmer). Capt. Howard raised Company G of the One Hundred and Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in 1862, and did active and honorable service for two years, when, upon breaking his leg, he was compelled to resign his commission. He served for four terms altogether as treasurer of this county, and has filled other important public official positions. He is a worthy Mason and Odd Fellow; is prominent among the leading public-spirited men of Hancock County, and is a liberal supporter of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Democrat. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


JAMES T. HOY.
The story of Philip Hoy, founder of the family of that name in Hancock county, is interesting because so typical of the early pioneer period. Born in Pennsylvania in 1793, he made his way to Kentucky at a time when the "dark and bloody ground" was still unsettled in its government and not the most desirable place for peaceful pursuits. About the end of the first quarter of the nineteenth century Philip Hoy crossed the river to Cincinnati, later went to Columbus and from there to Fairfield county, finally "winding up" in Hancock county in 1834. During all his wanderings Philip was accompanied by his faithful wife, Tilitha, who was born in 179S and shared her husband's fortunes for weal or woe for more than sixty years. Philip Hoy entered one hundred and twenty acres of land in what is now Amanda township, erected a rude log cabin after the universal custom of those times and moved in with his family. At this stage of the game Philip made an inventory of his resources and found he had just fifty cents with which to begin life in the new country. But, as a matter of fact, the lack of money was little regarded by the pioneers, who lived principally upon game and fish until they could realize something from their crops. Thus, though there might not be a cent in actual money about the house for a year, there would be an abundance of excellent food and comfortable though coarse material for clothing. By dint of the usual digging and hacking Philip Hoy finally brought his farm into fair shape and improved in circumstances as the years went by. He was very religious in his temperament and became a local minister of the United Brethren church, in which capacity he was instrumental in building and keeping alive several churches for use of pioneer preachers. In other respects Philip Hoy became a man of influence in his community, holding some of the important township offices and enjoying prestige as a soldier of the war of 1812. He passed away in 1879, in the eighty-eighth year of his age, and five years later was followed to the grave by his faithful widow. This worthy couple became the parents of eight children: Caliste Ramsay, Mary A. Clapper, Daniel, Lewis, Wilson, John, Lewis H. and James T. Of the children above enumerated only four are now living, and among these is James T. Hoy, who was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, April 19, 1829. He was therefore an infant of tender years when brought by his parents to Hancock county and installed as one of the occupants of the log cabin in Amanda township. Schools in those days were as scarce as other comforts of civilization, and pioneer children seldom secured much learning in these crude academies of the wilderness. Young Hoy got his share as he grew up, but depended much more on the carpenter's trade he had learned than on book knowledge as a means of making his way in the world. Many years of the early part of his life were devoted to carpenter work, which was then much in demand and well remunerated, and from his general work he finally saved up enough to buy a farm. His first purchase of real estate was made in 1872 and consisted of one hundred acres, to which he added forty acres more three years later. Since then his holdings have been greatly improved as well as increased in value by the erection of suitable buildings and other beautifying processes which indicate the progressive farmer. In fact everything on or about the Hoy home has an appearance of prosperity and up-to-dateness that prove better than words can the presence of a master who understands his business. In 1856 Mr. Hoy was united in marriage with Euphemia, daughter of Rufus and Harriet Bennett, old settlers of Hancock county. They arrived from Pennsylvania in 1835, just one year after the advent of the Hoys, and from that time on the two families were intimately connected in their social relations. The Bennetts entered one hundred and twenty acres of land in Jackson township, but subsequently increased their estate to five hundred acres, which is now in the hands of their seven surviving children. Mrs. Hoy was born near Wilkes-Barre. Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, January 1, 1833, and was consequently an infant in arms when her parents reached their destination in Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Hoy have three children: Bennett G., Serelda V. and Harriet T. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Hoy is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He has served as township trustee, and in 1875 was nominated as a candidate for county commissioner.
[Source: Centennial Biographical history of Hancock County, Ohio, New York :: Lewis Pub. Co., 1903]



BENJAMIN HUBER (deceased) was born in Lancaster County, Penn., in February, 1807, and removed to Fairfield County, Ohio, with his father's family, in 1819, where he, in 1829, was married to Mary Macklin, who bore him five children: E. A. (deceased), J. M. Samuel, Mrs. Phoebe Burns and Mrs. Lydia Shipman. Mrs. Huber died in 1839, and our subject subsequently married Margaret A. Paden, of Fairfield County, Ohio, who bore him three children: J. P. (deceased), Mrs. D. D. Snyder and Mrs. David Callahan. Benjamin Huber came to Findlay, Ohio, in 1845, and engaged in flour-milling business, buying the Eagle Mills of his brother, Martin Huber, who had purchased the mills and operated them for a few years prior. This was one of the few mills of any importance in the county at that time, and consequently was largely patronized by the settlers many miles around it. In 1865 he withdrew from this business, and took an interest in the drug store with his sons, J. M. and Samuel, remaining connected therewith until 1873, when he withdrew from it. Benjamin Huber's dealings with the public during his early residence in Findlay, as well as each succeeding year up to the time of his demise, September 10, 1884, were such as to make plain his honesty, ability and integrity, and he was put forward as a candidate for treasurer of this county by the Know-nothing party, in 1854, and, although the Democracy was largely in the ascendancy of all the combined organizations of the county, yet he was elected over the worthy Joel Pendleton, and two years later defeated Robert S. Mungen by a majority of three votes for the same office, and, in 1862 was again elected. In 1870 he defeated Henry Bowers, and in 1872, after the great Wall defalcation, he was elected over Samuel Howard by a majority of thirty-four votes, and at the end of this last term he retired, having faithfully and honestly served his county as treasurer for four terms. Benjamin Huber's death cast a gloom over the community, and this county will look long for a miller, a neighbor, an officer or a man who can fill the place of "honest" Benjamin Huber, whose portrait will be found elsewhere in this volume. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


JACOB MACKLIN HUBER, druggist, Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, December 14, 1835, son of Benjamin and Mary (Macklin) Huber. Upon attaining his majority our subject embarked in the drug business here, which he has carried on uninterruptedly since. He was married, in Fremont, Ohio, in 1862, to Julia, daughter of Martin Royce, of that city, and by her has two daughters: Fannie E. and Hattie, young ladies of fine attainments. Mrs. Huber and daughters are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which Mr. Huber is a liberal contributor. He is a worthy Mason of several years standing, and a Knight of Shawnee Commandery, Lima, Ohio. He is also a member of the Legion of Honor and of Stoker Post, No. 54, G. A. R. Mr. Huber served with credit in Company F, Twenty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, during the late civil war. In politics he is a Republican. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


SAMUEL HUBER, druggist, Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, October 13, 1837, son of Benjamin and Mary (Macklin) Huber, worthy pioneers here. Benjamin Huber was a native of Pennsylvania and came from that State when n lad with his father, Jacob Huber, who settled in Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1819. He was twice married, and by his first wife had three sons and two daughters. He was married on second occasion to Margaret Ann Paden, who bore him one son and two daughters. Benjamin Huber, who was among the early flour-millers, owned the first Eagle Mills here. He died in Findlay in September, 1884, in his seventy-eighth year. He served his county as its treasurer for four terms and was a worthy public-spirited official in several other capacities. Samuel Huber, when a lad, became apprenticed to the drug trade. Upon the breaking out of the late civil war he enlisted his services in defense of the Union and served as an officer of Company G, Eighty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry. After the war he returned to the drug business and has been actively identified with that industry here since. He was married here to Amanda C., daughter of Eli S. Reed. They have one child: Emma, now the wife of Mr. Markle, Mr. Huber's partner in the drug business. Col. Huber has been a worthy Mason for many years, is also a member of the K. of P. He has always been public-spirited and liberal in the support of measures contributing to the growth and development of this locality. In politics he is a Republican. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


SQUIRE JAMES HUFF, P. O. Arlington, was born in Licking County, Ohio, July 15, 1837, and was there married to Miss Amanda Willison, daughter of George Willison, of that county. Mrs. Huff died leaving a family of five children: Frank, Charles, George, Edwin and William P., all still living. Mr. Huff married for his second wife, Agnes Patton, daughter of Thomas J. Patton. Mr. Huff has been principally engaged during life in farming, and for the past several years has been interested in the saw-mill business in Arlington. He is at present justice of the peace of Madison Township. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


BARRETT J. HUGHES, of the firm Hughes Bros., Mt. Blanchard, was born November 28, 1852, in Franklin County, Ohio. His parents, James B. and Miriam (Dougherty) Hughes, both natives of Ohio, came to Amanda Township, this county, in 1860, and remained there on a farm until 1867, when they removed to Vanlue, Ohio, and finally settled permanently in Mt. Blanchard, this county, in 1869. Here our subject began clerking for J. H. Biddle & Co. in 1871, remaining with them until March, 1883, with the exception of six months spent with E. & A. Thompson, Mansfield, Ohio, in 1874. In March, 1883, Mr. Hughes, in partnership with his brother, J. W., established a store in North Baltimore, Wood Co., Ohio, and in March, 1884, they moved to Mt. Blanchard, this county, and located in the building formerly occupied by Biddle & Co. Here Hughes Bros, have a complete stock of dry goods, groceries, hats and caps, boots and shoes, clothing, millinery and notions. Their thorough acquaintance with the people and their uniform courtesy have enabled them to build up a large and flourishing trade. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


JOHN W. HUGHES, of the firm Hughes Bros., Mt. Blanchard, was born August 21, 1849, in Franklin County, Ohio, and married Miss Emma Coleman, in 1872. He spent two years in Monroeville, Ind., prosecuting his business as a harness maker, and several years in North Baltimore and Fostoria, Ohio, carrying on the butchering business. He finally, in 1883, formed a partnership with his brother, Barrett J., in the dry goods business, which partnership still continues. Their store is located at Mt. Blanchard, this county, where they carry a large stock of dry goods, groceries, etc., and are doing a thriving business. Mr. Hughes has two children: Charles and Bernice. The Hughes Bros, are among the solid and reliable business men of Mt. Blanchard, and their success speaks well for their enterprise and energy. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)

JASPER G. HULL, cashier of the Farmers' Bank, and president of the Findlay Gas-Light Company, Findlay, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, November 20, 1846, son of George W., and Artamesia (Scribner) Hull, of New Jersey and Connecticut ancestry, respectively. Benjamin Hull, blacksmith, father of George W., located in Crawford County, Ohio, at an early period of its history, and reared ten children (three sons and seven daughters) in that and Delaware Counties. In 1856 George W. Hull removed to Morrow County, Ohio, where the subject of our sketch received a good literary education and embarked in farming; being possessed of financial abilities, he succeeded well. In the fall of 1879 he sold his interest there and came to Findlay. January 1, 1880, Mr. Hull united with Mr. Peter Hosler, the present president, in the Farmer's Bank, of Findlay. In 1882 he purchased a half interest in the Findlay Gas-Light Company, completing the entire purchase the following year. In 1884 he "put down" a "gas well," and the enterprise being successful, he has enlarged upon it, and now has ten wells in active operation. Mr. Hull is an energetic, clever business man, and has been an important acquisition to the business interests of Findlay. He is a liberal contributor to measures tending to the development of his locality, and gives with a willing hand to charitable institutions. Mr. Hull was married in Morrow County, Ohio, in 1867, to Mary J., daughter of Abraham and Catharine (Brougher) Monnett. They have five daughters: Attie C., Amina May, Imogene, Leona Blanche, and Bessie Leonore. He and his wife are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Hull is an active worker in the temperance cause. In politics he is a Prohibitionist. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


MARION HULLINGER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Eagle Township, this county, August 14, 1841, son of George and Mary Ann (Keel) Hullinger, natives of Pennsylvania, of Dutch descent, and who were among the early settlers of Eagle Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. George Hullinger separated when our subject was a small boy, and George Hullinger afterward went to Indiana where he passed the remainder of his life, dying in 1878. Robert Barnhill became our subject's step-father and by him the latter was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. Mr. Hullinger chose agriculture for his vocation in life and is now the owner of a good farm of fifty-two acres of land in Liberty Township, this county. In 1861 he was united in marriage with Mary Ann Flick, daughter of John Flick and of English descent. Three children have blessed this union: Oliver, Edward and Nellie. Mrs. Hullinger died in 1882; she was a member of the Church of God. Miss Sarah Beman is now keeping house for Mr. Hullinger. Politically our subject is a Democrat. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


SAMUEL HUMPHREY, P. O. Mount Blanchard, was born June 27, 1811, in Columbiana County, Ohio. At the age of eighteen years he began running a boat from Cincinnati, Ohio, to New Orleans, La., which occupation he followed until 1834. He married Miss Susannah Borrow in 1841. He had previously walked out to Delaware Township, this county, in company with his father, and entered land, and after his marriage he and his wife at once located on this property, which is now the family homestead, and which he added to until he finally owned 400 acres. There is now only one other man living in Delaware Township who entered land from the Government. Mr. and Mrs. Humphrey were parents of nine children: Mary A., Margaret C., Mrs. Elizabeth Jane Woods and Susan Louisa Scott are deceased; and William D., John J., Samuel E., Mrs. Mollie A. Ballard and Ida S. are yet living. Mrs. Humphrey died November 13, 1883; she had been a member of the Christian Church since 1841. Mr. Humphrey has also been a member of that church since same date. He now resides on the homestead, enjoying the peace and quiet of an honored old age. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


WILLIAM D. HUMPHREY, teacher and farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, was born April 2, 1853, in Delaware Township, this county, son of Samuel and Susannah (Dorrow) Humphrey. William D. Humphrey was reared on his father's farm, and after completing a course in the schools of the home district, he attended a short term each in the high schools at Mt. Blanchard, Findlay and Dunkirk, Ohio. He then taught a term of four months near Forest, Ohio, and afterward entered upon a course of instruction in the Northwestern Ohio Normal School, Ada, Ohio, in 1874. He continued this course, alternating with terms of teaching, until 1881. December 29, 1881, he married Mary Bell, of Logan County, Ohio. They purchased 160 acres of land, a part of the homestead farm, and located in Delaware Township, this county, where they now reside. They have one daughter, Bertha Bell, and an infant son. Mr. Humphrey has taught school, in all, thirty nine terms in Hancock, Hardin, Allen and Logan Counties, Ohio, including two years in the Union School of Mt. Blanchard, and the same length of time at Scott's Crossing, Allen Co., Ohio, and six years in home school. He has made thorough preparation for the profession of teacher, and has a fine record as a faithful and efficient instructor. Our subject is a Republican in politics; he takes a deep interest in public affairs, and is regarded as one of the leading citizens of Delaware Township. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


ANSON HURD, M. D., Findlay, comes of a worthy line of Connecticut pioneers in Ohio. He was born in Twinsburg, Summit Co., Ohio, December 27, 1824, son of Robert and Mary (Brainerd) Hurd, whose ancestry in Connecticut dates back to the first settlements in that State as a colony, and numbers many of tho important provincial families, as the Brookses, of Saybrook, the Hurds and Brainerds. In 1820 Dr. Hurd's father removed from Connecticut with his family, and settled in Twinsburg, Ohio, as agent of the twin brothers, Moses and Aaron Wilcox (after whom the township was named), whose extensive land interests he managed there for many years, and served as an active official (viz.: justice of the peace) for eighteen years in the early times. In 1839 he removed here, and was prominent before the people many years as a leader in the development of Hancock County's interests, among which may be mentioned the laying out and platting of the village of Arlington, in 1844. He died in 1860, at the age of seventy-six, leaving a large family (who had become scattered considerably through the West), viz.: William Brainerd, Lorenzo Wellington, Brooks, Jared, Anson, Evaline, Mary Ann, Betsy, Huldah and Cordelia. He had buried three sons: Harlow, Phineas and Edwin. Our subject was reared in Twinsburg, Ohio, and in 1839, with his brother, Jared, came to this county, and at Arlington cleared the land and built the cabin occupied by their father on his arrival. Upon attaining his twentieth year, Anson, being anxious to obtain means for his education, etc., presented his father with $50 for his time, and returned to Twinsburg, where he remained for three years under the instruction of the Rev. Samuel Bissell, D. D., president of Twinsburg Institute. He then taught school in Pike County, where, becoming acquainted with the Hon. J. I. Van Meter, of that county, he obtained a scholarship in Delaware College. After spending three years in that institution he engaged in the study of medicine with Dr. William Blackstone, of Athens, and after a year repaired to Columbus and read in the office of Prof. Samuel M. Smith, graduating from Starling Medical College in March, 1852. He then located in Oxford, Ind., where he remained in popular professional connection for many years. In 1861 he represented the counties of White and Benton in the Legislature of Indiana, in both the regular and extra sessions, and the same year (after the firing upon Fort Sumter) he was invited by Gov. Morton, of Indiana, to accept the post of assistant surgeon of the Twentieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, which he accepted, serving through the first campaign to Hatteras. Returning to Fortress Monroe he resigned his commission in the Twentieth, and accepted that of surgeon of the Fourteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served in all the battles of the campaign of 1862. In January, 1863, he resigned his commission, and in April moved to Findlay, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. He is a member of the American Medical Association, the State Medical Society and the Northwestern Ohio Medical Society, of which he has been President and a prominent and active member. In 1876 he served as delegate from the Tenth Congressional District to the International Medical Congress, held at Philadelphia, Penn. He is a professional scientist of no mean note, and has for many years contributed to the pages of many leading medical journals of this country, among which may be mentioned the Medical and Surgical Reporter, of Philadelphia; The Clinic (late the Lancet and Clinic), of Cincinnati; Medical Record, of New York; the Detroit Lancet, Columbus Medical Journal, Toledo Medical Journal; Therapeutical Gazette of Detroit, and medical works of Philadelphia, and has frequently read papers on scientific work before medical meetings throughout the State. Dr. Hurd was married, in 1853, in Oxford, Ind., to Amanda V. Cell (originally Zell), of pioneer German ancestry in Pennsylvania. She is a daughter of the Rev. David Cell, a worthy deceased minister of the Baptist Church. They have a daughter, Huldah, wife of N. F. Hardman, of Findlay. Mrs. Hurd and daughter are worthy members of the Presbyterian Church, to which the Doctor is a liberal contributor. He is also an Odd Fellow. Dr. Hurd has always been a liberal supporter of measures tending to the growth of the social and industrial life of his community, and has taken a leading position with many. He is at present president of the Findlay Improvement Association. The Doctor is of fine physique, vigorous nature, and bids fair to hold his place in the front rank of active professional work for many years to come. In politics he is a Republican, and takes a deep interest in the success of that party. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


BENJAMIN F. HYATT
, post-trader at Ft. Defiance, Arizona Territory, P. O., Findlay, Ohio, was born in Findlay, this county, March 18, 1840, son of A. H. and Eleanor (Baldwin) Hyatt, pioneers of this county. The former descended from early Pennsylvania stock, came to this county and was among the early settlers of Findlay; he engaged in merchandising, at which he was very successful, and by his upright dealings won the confidence of a very large circle of patrons; he died in 1859, leaving his business to his son, Benjamin F., who has placed his father's portrait in this history. He had four children-two boys and two girls - our subject being the only one living. Benjamin F. Hyatt spent his early life in his father's store, and upon the latter's death conducted the business till 1860. He, however, was actively connected with merchandising in Findlay till November, 1879. June 3, 1881, he received the appointment to his present position, which he has held continuously since. He was for some time connected with banking at Carey; afterward spent some time traveling in commercial trade of Eastern houses, and retiring from this, returned to Findlay intending to locate in the insurance business. His interests have always been prominent here and he has been one of the liberal contributors to leading projects for the development of the social and industrial life of the city. He is a prominent Mason and Knight of the Shawnee Commandery at Lima. He served in Company G, Fifty-seventh Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry for six months. Mr. Hyatt married, December 18, 1861, Mary Keeler, a native of Vermont. He and his worthy wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Republican. (Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)



BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails