Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line


ELIJAH P. JONES
, banker, Findlay, was born March 6, 1820, at Rochester, N. Y. The family came originally from England. His grandfather on the paternal side conducted a very large business in the tanning and manufacturing of leather in Connecticut. His father, Elijah Jones, was born in New Milford, Conn., but immigrated to central Pennsylvania, where he engaged in shipping lumber to Baltimore and other points; thence he went to Rochester, N. Y., where he engaged in general merchandising and in the manufacture of pearl ash for foreign shipment. Hannah (Pelton) Jones, subject's mother, though of Scotch ancestry, was a native of Connecticut. Three Pelton brothers immigrated to America-one settled in Boston, one in Connecticut and one in Long Island, N. Y. From the Connecticut branch the mother of Mr. Jones sprang. The Peltons were a family of considerable distinction in Connecticut. Ebenezer Pelton served in the commissary department of the Revolutionary Army. In 1826 the family of the subject of our sketch came to Ohio and settled in Willoughby, seventeen miles east of Cleveland, at which place Elijah P., Jr., remained until the age of fourteen years, when he spent four years on a farm. In the meantime he improved his mind by private study, and in the winter engaged in teaching. When eighteen he secured a situation in the Cleveland postoffice as clerk, and remained there three years. He afterward attended the academy at Norwalk, under the tuition of Dr. Thompson (who eventually became bishop). He spent one summer as general agent for the Sandusky & Mansfield (now Baltimore & Ohio Railroad). When twenty-three years old he went to Sandusky City and entered the service as general agent for the Mad River & Lake Erie Railroad (afterward the Cincinnati, Sandusky & Cleveland). In the fall of 1849, the branch from Carey to Findlay having been completed, Mr. Jones leased it for two and a half years, the company furnishing the motive power and cars. When this contract expired he renewed the lease for five years. In 1852 he formed a co-partnership with E. N. Cook and George H. Jones, of Salem, Oreg., to carry on a general merchandise and trading business. This partnership continued five years, and was then dissolved, after which Mr. Jones spent five years in New York engaged in the money brokerage business between Now York and the Pacific Coast. In the spring of 1863, upon the passage of the National Bank act, Mr. Jones applied in person for a national bank charter, the bank to be established at Findlay, Ohio; but he was informed by Secretary Chase that his was the first application, and that the Treasury Department was not prepared to receive and receipt for the bonds as the Bank Department of the Treasury was not fully organized. Thereupon, depositing his bonds in the Park Bank, New York, he proceeded to Findlay, and on his return to Washington, subsequently, he found a number of banks chartered before him and he had to take a lower number. The bank was immediately organized at Findlay and he became its president and principal stockholder. He still acts as president and is owner of more than two-thirds of its capital stock. He is conservative in his ideas of banking, as he believes the banker should hold himself aloof from speculation. Mr. Jones owns considerable real estate both in Findlay and vicinity. He has always been a prominent citizen; is public spirited and has ever been in advance in forwarding measures that would benefit the town. Careful in his business affairs he does not lack that boldness which frequently insures success. He married, January 9, 1862, Miss Mellie E. Johnston, of Piqua, Ohio, a graduate of the Ohio Wesleyan Female College, and they have three children: Cornelia Frances, Mary Gertrude and George Pelton, and the daughters are graduates of Vassar College. In politics Mr. Jones is a Republican. (History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886)


CHARLES ECKELS JORDAN, retired farmer, Findlay, a leading pioneer of Hancock County, was born on Indian Run, upon the present site of Bellaire, Ohio, May 23, 1800, son of Charles and Jane (Eckels) Jordan, natives of Pennsylvania, who settled in what is now Richland Township, Belmont Co., Ohio, in 1793. Our subject, at the age of fifteen, learned the trade of boot and shoe-making, which he followed for a few years, retiring from it at Wheeling, Va., in 1822, and then returning to his native State, where he carried on farming. After securing a little money he pushed westward, and in November, 1830, came to what is now Arcadia, and entered land. October 2, 1833, he removed there with his family, where he engaged successfully in farming and stock rearing till September, 1875, when he retired from it and came to Findlay. He was married in Alexandria, Penn., in 1827, to Margaret Moore, who died in 1871 and is buried in Arcadia. Their family consisted of six sons and three daughters, viz.: Daniel S., farming in Missouri; Martha, widow of David Miller, re siding in Findlay; William, farming in this county; John, who died of wounds received in the late war (leaving five orphan children of whom Mr. Jordan is guardian); James B., killed in action at the battle of Dallas, a member of the Forty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; Charles Wesley (deceased) ; Nancy Jane, wife of Steele Smith (on the old homestead); Mary (deceased), and Robert D., farming in Jewell County, Kas. Mr. Jordan married, on second occasion, Mrs. Elizabeth Winders, whom he survives. He always took an active interest in public affairs and served Washington Township as an official for many years. He attended the first election held therein when the enrolment showed but fourteen votes. Although not having attended public school more than two months his keen natural abilities placed him as a leader and besides serving as justice of the peace for several years he was among the first to organize the schools and other social interests of that township. He assisted in organizing the first Lutheran society in Washington Township and has remained a worthy member of that church for over fifty years. Upon the breaking out of the late civil war he united his interests with the war party of the Democracy, and although too old to serve in the ranks he did good service in other ways. Five of his sons entered the army and did honorable and creditable service (two of them sacrificing their lives). During this time Mr. Jordan made several trips to the headquarters of Sherman's army and gave encouragement by act and deed as best he could for the sustenance of the Union. He has been a voter for over three score years; upon National matters has always given his pronounced support to the Democratic party. He is still active and vigorous, and enjoys the happy retrospect of a life well and honorably spent, esteemed by all who know him. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


DAVID JOY, of the "Joy House," Findlay, comes of a long and worthy line of ancestors in this country. His paternal ancestor, Thomas Joy, is supposed to have come to our shores in the fleet with Gov. Winthrop of Massachusetts, in 1630. He was a member of the "Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company'' of Boston, and owned two acres of land in the center of that city, and land adjoining, as his allotment from the Governor, received in 1634. He married Joan Gallop and reared five sons and three daughters and died at Hingham, Mass., in 1678. Of his children Joseph (Sr.) reared a large family of whom Joseph (Jr.) had also a large family. Of his sons David, in turn, had a son David, who begat Abiather, who removed with his father from Rehoboth, Mass., to Guilford, Vt., and who, later, settled in Herkimer County, N. Y. Abiather reared his family in Herkimer County, and, of his sons, David married Ann Hubbard, and they became the parents of our subject. David Joy was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., October 10, 1834, and learned the business of his father (harness-making). He afterward engaged in hotel business there. Upon the breaking out of the late civil war he enlisted in Company I, Thirty-fifth New York Volunteers, and was assigned as musician, in which capacity he served till mustered out in 1862 by special act of Congress. After peace had been proclaimed he joined his brother Abiather and engaged in the hotel business at Carey, Ohio, in 1866, which they retired from in 1873 to give their entire attention to the present house, which they had purchased in 1870. Mr. Joy has always taken an active part in the development of the public, social and industrial life of his locality and has contributed in no small degree to its advancement. He has been an able advocate of his party's interests, in recognition of which they have placed him before the people on different occasions to represent their interests in State and National affairs. In 1875 he was defeated in the convention for a seat in the Ohio House of Representatives. In 1876 he received the nomination and was elected, with Gen. J. B. Steadman, to represent the Thirty-third Senatorial District for 187880. In 1882 Mr. Joy was the choice of the Hancock County Democracy to represent the Seventh Congressional District, but Hon. George E. Seney was the choice of the convention. Upon the organization of the Findlay Improvement Association he took a leading part and has since continued one of its board of directors and has given important aid to many other worthy local enterprises. He was married in his native State to Miss Hannah Knickerbocker, of worthy New York pioneer stock, and of a family of nine children by this union, three daughters and two sons survive: Julia, wife of Henry C. Stearns, a druggist, of Janesville, Wis.; Alice A., wife of E. B. Davis, of Marion Township, this county; Martha M., Frank K. and Orville are at home. Mr. Joy has been a worthy Odd Fellow for many years and has passed all the chairs in that society. He is of medium build, strong phisique, has indomitable will-power and carries his force of character into all his business connections. He is, however, of a genial nature and forms strong friendships. In politics he is a Democrat. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]




BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails