Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line


JOSEPH R. KAGY, lawyer and farmer, ex-auditor of Hancock County, Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, December 21, 1842, son of Samuel and Hannah (Baker) Kagy, natives of that county, the former of whom, a son of Christian Kagy, who located in that county in 1800, from Shenandoah County, Va., comes of pioneer stock in Virginia and Pennsylvania. Hannah (Baker) Kagy was a daughter of Charles Baker, also a pioneer of Fairfield County. In 1847 Samuel Kagy settled in Allen Township, this county, where he cleared and improved land, and was a worthy citizen. He reared and educated his family well, and was altogether an active and energetic business man; he died May 7, 1884, in full communion with the Baptist Church, of which he had ever been a liberal supporter. Of his twelve children, four sons and four daughters survive: Joseph R., Solomon D., a farmer in Waverly, Neb.; Barbara E., wife of Samuel Swab, a farmer in this county; David B., a farmer and teacher; Samuel A., attorney at law, Findlay; Clara R., a teacher; Alice C., wife of L. A. Heminger, a farmer and teacher in this county; and Frances E. Joseph R., the eldest, obtained a good education and taught school for many years here. During this time he accumulated a nice competency and carried on farming, with which he is still identified. He has always taken an active part in public affairs, and has held many of the offices of the township. In 1871 he became a member of the board of school examiners for the county, and served in that incumbency for six years; in 1877 he was elected auditor of Hancock County, which position he creditably filled till November, 1883, when he retired from public affairs, and is now pursuing the study of law in order to adopt it as a profession. He married in Van Buren, Ohio, January 21, 1864, Catharine M., daughter of John and Mary (Bookman) Zarbaugh, pioneers of this county, from Pennsylvania. They have a family of three sons and two daughters: Nora B. and Edith, the eldest two, are ladies of literary attainments and teachers of excellent reputation; Earl C., David Dudley and J. Rodney are young lads yet attending school. Mrs. Kagy is a member of the Christian Church, to which Mr. Kagy is a liberal contributor. He is a worthy Odd Fellow and member of the Encampment. Since locating in Findlay Mr. Kagy has taken an active interest in the development of the social and industrial life of Findlay, and has always been a liberal contributor to measures tending to its welfare. He is of good physique., strong constitution and vigorous nature, and bids fair to take rank in the line of long-lived citizens of this section of the county. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


KARL AUGUST EMANUEL KARG (formerly Karch), meat market, Findlay, was born at Boennigheim, in the Kingdom of Wurtemburg, Germany, March 8, 1829; son of Jacob Friederich and Regina (Zimmerman) Karch, whose family of three sons and one daughter came to America, viz.: Wilhelmina, wife of Edward Dietsch, a furniture manufacturer; Lewis, a butcher and farmer; Frederick, who died in Findlay in the spring of 1885, leaving a family, and K. A. E. Karg. In 1850 our subject came to America and spent two years in New York City, coming to Findlay in 1852. While in New York he married Margaret Young, who was born in Auerbach, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, January 4, 1827, and came to America (to New York City) in 1850. Mr. and Mrs. Karg have a bright, intelligent family of five sons and two daughters: Eliza, wife of John Klentchy, residing in Findlay; Jacob Frederick, in meat market business; August, in meat market business; Charles, in meat market business; Minnie, wife of William M. Hull, a harness maker in Silver City, N. Mex.; Albert, in meat market business, and William, too young as yet for business. Mr. Karg learned his father's trade (meat business) in his native land, has taken an important rank in that industry here, and has accumulated a handsome competency. He is also a taxidermist of considerable skill, to which, in his later years, he has paid considerable attention. He is a worthy gentlemen, an excellent citizen and a thorough-going business man. He has served in the councils of his adopted city. Mr. and Mrs. Karg and family attend the services of the Lutheran Church. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


THEODORE KARN
Prominently known as a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of Hancock county is Theodore Karn, who also deserves mention in this volume by reason of his own worth and prominence. He is a well known farmer of Cass township, where he resides on a holding of sixty acres of land, which he devotes to general farming. His parents were Ezra and Elizabeth (Albertson) Karn, the former born in Maryland, September 16, 1815, and the latter in New Jersey, June 23, 1819. Their marriage occurred March 21, 1839, and their family consisted of the following children: William, born August 22, 1840; Theodore, February 9, 1842; Drucilla, October 13, 1846; Jerome, September 25, 1848; Simeon, June 20, 1852; Albert, April 22, 1855; Martin, July 1, 1857; Mary E., deceased, November 4, 1859. Ezra Karn removed to Cass township in 1835, and previous to that date he had located for a short time in Holmes county, Ohio. In 1840 he purchased forty acres of land in section ten, which was in its primitive state, and the usual log house and outbuildings were erected by him. In 1845 he sold this farm, receiving for it $400, with which he purchased one hundred and sixty acres, also in its virgin state. He continued to improve and beautify this farm, and in i860 he purchased another eighty acres, part of which his son Theodore now owns. Ezra Karn was a popular man in his day, and a most successful farmer. He served the township for several years as trustee, and was actively interested in educational work, having served on the school board. His religious proclivities found endorsement in the Lutheran church, in which he served for a period as deacon. In political belief he held to the principles of Democracy. He served on the board of agriculture for several years and was one of its projectors. His life, while not being an eventful one, was full of that interest which must ever attach to the noble band of pioneers that built society in Hancock county. He died September 1. 1881, his wife having preceded him by three years, dying May 12, 1880. Valentine Karn, the grandfather of our immediate subject, came to the county about the same time as the son. He settled on one hundred and sixty acres of land which had but very few improvements. His wife was Elizabeth Smoots, and their family numbered seven sons and four daughters, one of the daughters still living. Valentine was a cooper by trade, and was a first-class mechanic as well as a good and industrious farmer. He died in the spring of 1845. His wife followed him several years later. Theodore Karn was born in Cass township as above mentioned, and spent his youth on the farm, being early trained to habits of industry and economy, that have proved a substantial foundation upon which to rear the superstructure of his manhood's success. He adopted farming as a profession, and upon establishing a home of his own called to preside over it Miss Mary E. Swisher. This event occurred in 1883. Mrs. Karn the daughter of Peter and Sara A. Swisher. She was born at Ada, Ohio, on the 28th of December, 1864. She has presented her husband with the following children: Lola E., February 20, 1885; Grace B., January 25, 1887; Bessie A., December 23, 1889; Cloyse A., April 3, 1893: Laura J., January 23, 1896; and Edwin, December 18, 1899. Mr, and Mrs. Karn, together with their interesting family, reside in peace and contentment among a host of admiring friends and acquaintances.

[Source: Centennial Biographical history of Hancock County, Ohio New York :: Lewis Pub. Co., 1903]


FRANK KARST, grocer, Findlay, was born at Bingen-on-the-Rhine, in Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, March 29, 1827; son of Martin and Elizabeth (Bertram) Karst, who came to America in 1849, and settled in Findlay, Ohio, where Martin Karst died in 1880, at the age of ninety-three years and five months. His family consisted of Peter and John (twins); Susanna, now Mrs. Jacob Lau; Barbara, now Mrs. Joseph Fleck; Jacob, in Defiance, Ohio; Frank; Lizzie (deceased wife of Josiah Zoll). Our subject learned merchandising in his native land, and after coming to Findlay in 1849, embarked in same, which he has earned on successfully since. He was married, in 1852, to Anna Snyder, a native of Austria, who bore him five sons and three daughters (of whom but one son and two daughters survive): Frank L., Joseph P., Kate, Adelina, Augustus, Amelia, Julius and Martin. Of this family the mother, Joseph P. and Frank L. (he left three children, of whom two survive) died in 1881, and Julius and Martin died young. The family are communicants of St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church, to which Mr. Karst has always been a liberal contributor, and in which he has served as an active official. He is a worthy member of the Catholic Benevolent Society. Mr. Karst has always taken an active part in the development of Findlay's social and industrial life, and has served in its councils for several years. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


FRANK J. KARST; proprietor of saloon and restaurant, Findlay, was born at Bingen-on the-Rhine, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, February 28, 1845; son of John and Barbara (Roskopf) Karst, who came to America in 1852 and settled in Findlay, Ohio. They had two sons and three daughters: Frank J.; Kate (deceased wife of Jacob Fleck); John, in the express business; Isabel, all residing in Findlay; and Mary, wife of Martin Kunemire, a blacksmith in Defiance, Ohio. Our subject spent several years at the carpentering in Findlay and in 1873 embarked in his present business. He was married, in 1869, by the Rev. Father Watman,of St. Michael's Church, to Lucy, daughter of John G. Kissberth, Esq., of Gilboa, Ohio. They have two sons and one daughter; Charles, William and Lulu. Mr. Karst is a regular communicant of St. Michael's Church, and a member of St. Michael's Benevolent Society. He has rather held aloof from public office, but has served his county as coroner and deputy sheriff. He is a thoroughgoing, public-spirited business man and citizen, and has accumulated a very respectable competency. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


SAMUEL KEEL, retired farmer, P. O. Benton Ridge, Ohio, is one of the representative pioneers of this county, born in Perry County, Penn., March 1, 1813, son of Henry and Catharine (Bosler) Keel, natives of Pennsylvania, where they were married and first settled. About 1820 they moved to Fairfield County, Ohio, locating there until 1827, at which time they came to Jackson Township, this county, where they remained six years, then moved to Eagle Township, this county, and here remained until their death. Henry Keel departed this life in 1853, his widow following him in 1857. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom only four survive, Samuel being the fifth. Our subject came with his parents to this county, and was united in marriage May 10, 1838, with Mary Povenmire, who was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., October 24, 1810, daughter of John and Sarah (Wagoner) Povenmire, natives of Pennsylvania, where they married and first settled, and remained until 1812, in which year they immigrated to Fairfield County, Ohio, thence moved to Pickaway County, where they located until 1837, after which time they moved to Liberty Township, this county, and here remained until their death. Mr. Povenmire departed this life first, and his widow died some years afterward. They were the parents of thirteen children, only five of whom survive, Mrs. Keel being the eldest in the family. Mr. and Mrs. Keel are the parents of seven children: Sarah, wife of Phenius Brown; Susanna and Christena, at home; Philip, married to Nancy Seitz; John, married to Martha Stover; Abraham, married to Margaret Eck, and Marvel, married to Mary Rudisill. All reside in this county except Philip, who is in Putnam County, Ohio. Mr. Keel, before he was married, entered eighty acres of land in this county. This land he afterward sold and bought another eighty-acre tract, to which he has since added until he now owns 160 acres of land. He also owns town property in this county, and 100 acres of land in Putnam County, Ohio, besides having helped his children very liberally. Mr. Keel took part in the muster of early days. He has filled various offices in Jackson, Union and Blanchard Townships. During his early life he was a Democrat, but when Pierce became a candidate for the Presidency he changed his politics. He has followed farming all his life. His wife has been a church member for forty years. They reside in Benton Ridge, and are among the leading families of this county. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


P. A. KEMERER, farmer and teacher, P. O. Benton Ridge, was born in Blanchard Township, this county, December 23, 1853, son of David (son of John, son of Phillip Kemerer) and Susanna (Deal) Kemerer, the former a native of Ohio, of German descent, and the latter of Virginia, cf English descent. David Kemerer was a farmer during his life, and prominent among the early settlers of this county, moving to the farm on which he now resides in 1842. P. A. Kemerer, the subject of this sketch, the youngest in a family of six children, attended the common school and Ada Normal School, was reared on the farm and taught school five terms. In November, 1877, he was united in marriage with Hattie E. Keller, daughter of Joseph Keller. Her parents were of German descent. Mr. and Mrs. Kemerer have had three children, two of whom survive, Alba Candace and Clarence. Mr. Kemerer is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He and his wife are members of the United Brethren Church. He takes a great interest in the Sabbath-school and church. He is the owner of sixty-five acres of land in Wood County, Ohio, and has made most of his fortune by his own exertions. At present he is residing on and managing the farm belonging to his father (who is still living) in Blanchard Township. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


CLARK KETCH, farmer, P. O. Wharton, Wyandot County, was born May 1, 1852, in Delaware Township, this county, son of the well-known pioneer, George Ketch. Our subject was reared on his father's farm, and received his education in the schools of the home district. He was married, September 4, 1873, to Miss Ellen F. Chase, and to them were born two children: Ora, who died at the age of three years, and Merle, who died when three months old. Mr. Ketch has a fine farm of 224 acres of land, in Delaware Township, this county, where he devotes considerable attention to live-stock. He is an enterprising and successful young farmer, and enjoys the respect of the entire community. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Protestant Church. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


GEORGE KETCH, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, was born April 16, 1824, in Columbiana County, Ohio, son of Thomas and Ann (Bilger) Ketch, natives of Pennsylvania, the former of whom died in 1832; the latter brought her family to Hardin County. Ohio, in 1836, and died in Delaware Township, this county, in 1868, while living with her son Thomas. George Ketch, the youngest in a family of six children, lived in Hardin County, Ohio, until his marriage with Miss Adeline Warner, March 16, 1848, when they at once moved to their farm in Delaware Township, this county, which he had then owned for several years, and on which they still reside. Here they went to work in the woods, clearing up and improving their farm, and they now have 120 acres of fertile and well improved land, after having given their children 100 acres. Mrs. Ketch died in October, 1859, leaving three children: Thomas E., Clark and Sarah, who afterward married W. F. Cook, son of Dwight Cook, a well known pioneer. After the death of his first wife Mr. Ketch married Miss Adeline Johnson, who died in February, 1871, leaving a daughter, Laura; and for his third wife our subject then married Mrs. Paulina Switzer; she has one daughter, Lula Clare. Mrs. Ketch is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Ketch cast his first presidential vote for Franklin Pierce, and has been a supporter of the Democratic party ever since. He is an enterprising and successful farmer, an upright and useful citizen, highly respected by the entire community. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886 ]


J. A. KIMMEL, physician, Findlay, was born in Carroll Co., Ohio, September 17, 1844, son of David and Christiana (Oakes) Kimmel, the former of York County, the latter of Bedford County, Penn., and of Holland and English pioneer ancestry in Pennsylvania. In 1851 David Kimmel settled in Marion Township, this county, where four sons and three daughters grew up, viz.: George W.; Ellen, died at five years of age; Kato; Samuel B.; David J.; Margaret J.; Jacob A. and Tabitha E.; and three daughters are buried: Ellen, who died at the age of five years; Henrietta and Samantha Ann. Our subject received a good common school education and attended Findlay High School. In February, 1863, he enlisted in defense of the Union, in Company A, Twenty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and did active and honorable service till the end of the war, when he received his discharge. After the close of the struggle he read medicine in the office of Drs. Entrikin & Ballard, here, and graduated from Cleveland Medical College in 1867. He then located in Cannonsburg, where he carried on an active practice till 1872, when he came to Findlay. In 1875 he took a post-graduate course at Bellevue. Hospital Medical College of New York City, from which he received a creditable diploma. He married here, in 1869, Eliza Ellen, daughter of the late Robert Bonham. She passed away this life May 28, 1873, in full communion with the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is laid to rest in Maple Grove Cemetery. Dr.Kimmel was again married; this time in 1875, to Rosa E., daughter of Ambrose Graber, Esq., and by her has one son, Alfred Graber. Dr. Kimmel is a worthy F. & A. M. and a member of the G. A. R. He is a clever professional man and a public-spirited, energetic citizen, contributing liberally to all measures conducive to the public weal. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


CYRUS F. KING, M. D., Arlington, was born in Hancock County, Ohio, January 26, 1855, son of John King, who is now a retired farmer of Hancock County. The subject of this sketch worked on the farm and taught school in his early years, and soon gave his attention to the study of medicine. He commenced under the direction of Dr. J. H. Watson, of McComb, this county, and afterward studied with Dr. F. W. Entrikin, of Findlay, Ohio, attending three courses at the Eclectic Medical Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduating therefrom May 8, 1878. He located at once in Arlington where he has since continued in the practice of his profession with success, and has also kept a drug store most of the time. The Doctor is a member of the Ohio State Eclectic Medical Association and the Northwestern Ohio Eclectic Medical Association, of which he is now vice president. He was united in marriage with Miss Minerva L. Porter, daughter of Amos and Sarah (Comer) Porter, of this county. Their union has been blessed with five children, three of whom are living: Dwight J., Alvin E. and Merrill S. The Doctor has been postmaster of Arlington for the past four years. In politics he is a stanch Republican, being chairman of the Hancock County Republican Convention in 1885, both temporary and permanent. He holds a prominent place in the ranks of his native county. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


BENJAMIN KISTLER
, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, January 30, 1817, son of Benjamin and Elizabeth Kistler, the former of whom died in 1822. After the death of her first husband our subject's mother married David Hall and moved to Pickaway County, Ohio, where young Benjamin was reared. Our subject was united in marriage December 3, 1840, with Miss Sarah Searfoss, and they came to Marion Township, this county, in the following February, bought a new farm and began the work of clearing it up and developing it. Mr. Kistler has added to his property until he now owns 240 acres of fertile and well improved land. To Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Kistler have been born seven children: the first child died in infancy; David, married to Miss Nancy Ann Brinner (he died June 26, 1878); Henry; Benjamin, Jr., now in Henry County, Ohio; Mrs. Clarinda Anderson; John and William. Our subject is a Democrat in politics; has served his township as trustee [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


DAVID KIRK, proprietor of the Eagle Flouring-Mills, Findlay, was born in Dumfermline, Fifeshire, Scotland, May 5, 1849, son of James and Margaret (Swan) Kirk, of that country, who reared three sons and three daughters, of whom the sons came to this country. James is a miller at Akron, Ohio; David and John are in this county. Our subject was reared to milling in his native land. In 1869 he came to America and followed his trade at Akron, Ohio, for ten years. In 1879 he came to Findlay, this county, and united with W. W. McConnel (now of Toledo) in the present mill, and in January, 1885, he purchased Mr. McConnel's interest. Mr. Kirk was married, February 28, 1872, in Akron, Ohio, to Margaret White, of Loch Galey, Fifeshire, Scotland, daughter of Robert and Mary (Watson) White. To Mr. and Mrs. Kirk were born three sons and three daughters: James, Robert, Mary, Margaret, David and Bessie B. (latter deceased). Mrs. Margaret Kirk died August 12, 1884. Mr. Kirk is a hardworking, painstaking and industrious business man, and has, by his own exertions, built up his present extensive business and his large trade is the result of first-class work. On December 3, 1885, a gas well was drilled on the mill property, by D. Kirk, to the depth of 1,171 feet, and a large and inexhaustible vein of natural gas was found and same was immediately applied to his mill for manufacturing flour and also domestic uses. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JACOB G. KNEPPER, farmer, P. O. Gilboa, Putnam County, Ohio, was born in Blanchard Township, this county, June 14, 1839; son of John and Elizabeth (Foglesong) Kneppor, the former a native of Ohio, and the latter of the State of Maryland, who came to this county in 1834, and settled in Blanchard Township, where the former took up a half section of land. John Knepper died June 1, 1840, and his widow died March 10, 1883, at the age of eighty-one years. Of their family there were eight children, Jacob G. being the youngest. He was reared on the farm; attended the common school until March, 1856, when he with his parents moved to Westerville, Franklin Co., Ohio, where he attended Otterbein University until March, 1857, when he with his parents returned to Hancock County again. From 1858 to the spring of 1862 he worked at the carpenter trade. In the spring of 1862 he followed farming. On August 12, 1862, he enlisted under Capt. J. A. Bope, in Company D, Ninety-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for the term of three years; he was captured by the enemy at the battle of Stone River January 2, 1863, but as the enemy were repulsed and driven back, he made his escape from them, being in their hands about two hours. He participated in many of the battles, from Murfreesborough to Atlanta, and then returned to Nashville and engaged in the battle at Nashville in November, 1864, which was the cleaning out of Hood's army. In January, 1865, his regiment was sent to North Carolina by way of Louisvillle, Ky., Cincinnati, Columbus, Ohio, to Washington City. He marched from Wilmington, N. C., to Goldsborough, Raleigh, and Salisbury. While lying at the latter place war was declared at an end. He was carried from there through Danville, Petersburg, to City Point, by railroad; from City Point to Baltimore, Md., by boat; from there to Gallipolis, Ohio, by railroad, and was mustered out of service July 17, 1865. He was but six days absent from his regiment during the length of time he was in the service. He never received a scratch or bullet mark from the enemy, but is considerably broken down by hard marching and exposure. When he returned home he engaged in operating his mother's farm until 1873, when he moved on his own farm of 165 acres of valuable and well-cultivated land, a part of the original entry made by his father August 10, 1837, the patent for which is still in the possession of our subject, signed by Martin Van Buren. In March 1866, Mr. Knepper was united in marriage with Mary E. Foltz, daughter of Noah and Mary (Hisie) Foltz, natives of Virginia and of German descent, but present residence in Eagle Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Knepper have six children: Noah Wilson, Jennie V., Adam Monroe, Eve V., Charles Albert, and Nellie B. Our subject and wife were members of C. U. Church. Mr. Knepper holds the office of school director. He was initiated into the I. O. O. F. in January, 1874; has passed the chairs, and has been permanent secretary for the past three years of Gilboa Lodge. No. 459, I. O. O. F. He also joined the G. A. R., Linsey Post, No. 75, in 1882. He served two terms as Officer of the Day in said post. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


NATHANIEL KNEPPER
, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Benton Ridge, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, April 24, 1828, son of John (a farmer and miller) and Elizabeth Knepper, natives of Ohio, of German descent. They reared a family of ten children, Nathaniel being the eldest of those now living. Our subject was reared on the farm, and has made agriculture the principal business of his life. In 1849 he was united with marriage to Hannah, daughter of Lawrence Hartze, born in Germany. The union of our subject and wife has been blessed with ten children (two died in infancy): Peter (died at the age of twenty-two years), George, farmer, married, Mary Ann, Amanda, Cornelia, Jacob (farmer, married), Emma and Lucinda. Mr. and Mrs. Knepper were formerly members of the United Brethren Church, of which he was a classleader, but they have since united themselves with the Christian Union Church, of which he is an elder, class-leader and trustee. Mr. Knepper is the owner of a well improved farm of 300 acres of land, and has made most of his fortune in Blanchard Township, this county, since 1839. He takes a deep interest in the Grange organization of Blanchard Township, and is now overseer of that order. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ELMER L. KRIDLER, carriage manufacturer, Findlay, comes of worthy pioneer families of Seneca County, Ohio, son of Frederick and Elenora (Creeger) Kridler, latter of whom died when our subject was but four years old, and some years after Frederick Kridler married Miss Mary Leper, of Kenton, Hardin Co., Ohio, and they now live in Wood County, Ohio. Elmer L. Kridler was born in Tiffin, Ohio, October 20, 1847, and in early life became apprenticed to carriage painting in the shop of Peter Van Nest, in his native town. After completing his trade he came to Findlay, this county (in 1870), and here worked at same till 1879 when he embarked in business on his own account, and has been promptly identified with the carriage manufacturing interests of this city since. He was married here, in 1876, to Elizabeth, daughter of Peter Kuntz, and by her he has one daughter and one son: Leora Louise and Earl. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. During the late war of the Rebellion Mr. Kridler did service in Company C, One Hundred and Sixty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He is a member of Stoker Post, G. A. R, Royal Arcanum and American National Union Societies. Mr. Kridler is a careful and painstaking workman, a clever business man and a genial gentleman, characteristics which have added materially to the building up of the large trade that he now enjoys in his line of manufacture. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


G. W. KROUT, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, born October 14, 1823, in York County, Penn., is a son of John and Ann (Boyd) Krout, natives of Pennsylvania. John Krout and family came to Ohio in 1856, and settled in Amanda Township, this county. His children were nine in all, of whom G. W., Elizabeth, Ann, John L. and Adam (a physician in Van Wert County, Ohio) are now living. He was a farmer by occupation, and purchased a farm in Amanda Township, this county, which he afterward sold to his son, G. W. Our subject came to Ohio two years prior to his father's arrival in the State. He has been twice married; the first time, in 1847, to Jemima Anstine, who bore him four children: Rebecca (wife of LaFayette Gordon, of Kansas), John F. (married to Ella Atchison), Henry A. (married to Ann Tuttle) and Eli W. (a widower). After the death of his first wife Mr. Krout married, in 1858, Elizabeth, daughter of Eli Sampson, one of the pioneers of Jackson Township, this county. This union has been blessed with eight children: David B. (married to Emma Patterson), Amos W. (married to Emma A. Misamore), Emmet, Floyd E., Retta A., Clark L. (all now living), and Rosa and Wilber (deceased). Mr. Krout has filled the office of township trustee. He has made many fine improvements on his farm, which is situated one mile and a half north of Mt. Blanchard, on the Blanchard River. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


PETER KUNZ, hardware, stove and tinware dealer, Findlay, was born in Baumholder, Kingdom of Prussia, December 2, 1831; son of Frederick and Elizabeth (Maurer) Kunz. In 1849 our subject came to America, and settled in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, where he was connected with merchandising in groceries and provisions at Ragersville. He served Tuscarawas County as its clerk from 1864 till 1867, when, upon retiring from office, he came to Findlay and engaged in the grocery business with M. Henry Schwartz for five years, and three years on his own account; then embarked in the hardware, stove and tin business. He was married in Ragersville, in 1852, to Rosetta, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Gribble, natives of Bavaria, who came to this country in 1833 and settled in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Kunz have one son and five daughters: Elizabeth, wife of E. L. Kridler, carriage manufacturer, of Findlay; Louisa, wife of C. O. Parker, proprietor of restaurant here; Charles A., associated with his father in business, forming the firm of Peter Kunz & Son; Clara, Callie and Rosa, at home. The family attend service at St. John's Lutheran Church, of which Mr. Kunz has been a worthy official for several years. He is a member of the Masonic order and of the K. of P.; has served the city as a member of its council. Upon the organization of the Findlay Natural Gas Company he became one of its stockholders, and is an active supporter of other interests of Findlay. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails