Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line

LEROY S. LAFFERTY, M. D., Arlington, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, October 11, 1829, son of John and Sarah (Lewis) Lafferty. Our subject came to this county in an early day and resided for many years in Mount Blanchard, afterward removing to Arlington, where he has been engaged in the practice of medicine for twenty-five years, with good success. He served in the war of the Rebellion as a member of the One Hundred and Thirty-third Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Dr. Lafferty first married Miss Nancy Johnson, daughter of William and Catherine Johnson, former residents of Morrow County, Ohio, and one son, Squire J., still living, was born of this union. The Doctor married, in Arlington, his present wife, formerly Mary E. Cameron, daughter of Alexander and Lydia (Miller) Cameron. This union has been blessed with four children: Etta F., Sarah V., Bird L. and Alexander G. The Doctor keeps the "Pioneer House," at Arlington, and is one of the substantial citizens of this county. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


STEPHEN LEE
, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born July 15, 1839, in Amanda Township, Hancock Co., Ohio, is a son of Richard M. and Lydia (Wyant) Lee, natives of Fairfield County, Ohio, and who came to this county in 1828 or 1830, settling in Amanda Township, where they began pioneer life, enduring many hardships and privations to secure a home for their children. Richard M. Lee departed this life in 1854, and his widow followed him in 1882. They were parents of the following named children: Perry, Caroline (wife of D. Gilbert), John (deceased), Marion. David, Stephen, Jason and Noah. Most of these children are living in Amanda Township, this county. Stephen Lee, the subject of this sketch, married, in 1862, Mary, daughter of Joseph Carver, and by her had six children: Caroline (deceased), Joseph W., Loren, Laura, Addison and Louie, the five living being with their parents. As a pioneer child Mr. Lee had but meager chances to acquire an education himself, and being a reasonable and thoughtful man he is giving his children an opportunity to profit by the educational advantages which the present day affords. Mr. Lee is a well-to-do farmer. His father left him 120 acres of land, which he sold. He then purchased of James Hughes 120 acres in the eastern part of Amanda Township, this county, a well-regulated and well-improved farm. He is a member of the United Brethren Church. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ZEBULON P. LEE
, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Bloom Township, Fairfield Co., Ohio, July 18, 1828, son of Richard and Lydia (Wyant) Lee, natives of Pennsylvania and early pioneers of Ohio. Zebulon Lee, the grandfather of our subject, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Our subject's parents came to this county in 1832-33 and settled in Amanda Township, where they entered land and began pioneer life. They were the parents of eight children, seven of whom are yet living: Zebulon P., John, Caroline (wife of D. Gilbert), Morison, David, Stephen and Noah. The subject of this sketch was united in marriage, October 7, 1847, with Jill Ann, daughter of Aquilla Gilbert, of Amanda Township, this county. This union has been blessed with seven children: Cinderella, wife of L. C. Ewing; Margaret, wife of William Fogler; Lydia, wife of Milton Robison; R. A. Lee, married to Hattie Miller; Mollie, wife of Willis Marvin; Ida, unmarried, and Ollie (deceased). Mr. Lee was trustee of Amanda Township, this county, for three years, and treasurer for three years, and has been trustee of Marion Township for several years. He came to Marion Township in 1877, and purchased the land on which he now lives of Adam Haley. This farm he has since traded, with William Marvin, for the old Stephens property, in Findlay Township, this county. Mr. Lee is a member of the Odd Fellows lodge at Vanlue, Ohio. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


PETER LINE
, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born October 11, 1832, in Eagle Township, this county. Coonrad Line, the father of our subject, a native of Pennsylvania, was united in marriage, in Fairfield County, Ohio, with Miss Catharine Case, a native of Maryland. Peter Line, the subject of this sketch, acquired his education partly in the primitive schools of the pioneer days, but mostly by private study by the light of the old-fashioned chip-fire. When twenty-one years of age he went to Missouri, where he remained seven years. He married, October 7, 1860, Miss Mary B. Jewett, and returned to Eagle Township, this county, in 1861, settling on the farm which he had purchased and where they now reside, consisting of 170 acres of well improved land. On this place Mr. Line has a tile factory, the first ever established in this county, which he has operated for fourteen years. He manufactures exclusively for the home market. To Mr. and Mrs. Peter Line have been born ten children: Kate E., Fannie S., Amanda Jane, Coonrad D., Jacob, Edson, Henry D. (deceased), Mary E., Bessie and Edith. Mr. Line is a life-long Democrat. He has served his township in various official capacities, including clerk and trustee. He and his worthy wife are consistent members of the Predestinarian Baptist Church. Mr. Line is a man of strict integrity, respected by the entire community. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ROBERT LONG, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Kentucky, February 23, 1801, son of John and Isabella (Thompson) Long, natives of Pennsylvania, who moved to Kentucky in an early day. Short time later they came to Fairfield County, Ohio, and in 1826 to this county, where our subject and parents were among the first settlers in what is now Big Lick Township. They were in the county some time before they took up land, but finally entered in Section 21, of Big Lick Township, where the subject of this sketch now resides. Robert Long was the third in a family of nine children, of whom only two survive: Robert and Jeptha. He married, in 1832, Polly, daughter of Philip and Hannah (Hull) Essex, pioneers of Big Lick Township, this county, and to this union were born four children, of whom only one survives, Margaret, wife of John Lovengood. Mrs. Long dying, Mr. Long afterward married Mary, daughter of John and Mary (Northcutt) Graham, also early settlers of Big Lick Township, this county. To our subject's second marriage were born seven children: James W. (deceased), Malinda, wife of Jacob Weller; Nancy Jane; George W.; William H. (deceased); Mary A. wife of R. Blair, and Elizabeth, wife of John Tawney. Mr. Long loved pioneer experiences, and still thinks that a life spent in the wild woods in hunting is far preferable to living in modern cities or towns. He is connected with the Methodist Church. In politics he is a Republican. His son, George W., was married in November, 1878, to Nancy J. Stininger; they have two children living, Laura L. and Wilson S. George W. Long now owns his father's old home farm and also eighty acres adjoining it in Section 16, Big Lick Township. His mother died August 9, 1879. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


SILAS LONG, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born August 14, 1837, in Ridge Township, Wyandot Co., Ohio, is a son of John and Mary (Wingate) Long, the former a native of Pennsylvania, the latter of Ohio. They were married in Pickaway County, Ohio. The parents of John Long were early pioneers of Ohio, and he a pioneer of Wyandot County, Ohio, His children, seven in number, were all reared in this county, and five of them are now living: John W., Francis N., Eliza (now Mrs. A. Alspach), Mary J. and Silas. Our subject received his early education in Wyandot County, Ohio, and January 23, 1862, married Rebecca, daughter of Charles Cross, an old settler in this county, and the third child and second daughter in a family of six children. To Mr. and Mrs. Long have been born ten children: Charles S., William G., Jay, Bertie, Scott, Mary E. (wife of George H. Grant), Rosilla E., Malinda A., Lillie V. B. and Minnie G. A. Our subject removed to Amanda Township, this county, in February, 1863. Mr. Long is a member of the I. O. O. F. He has a well watered farm of 107 acres of the best of land. He is a member of the United Brethren Church; a Democrat in politics. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WILLIAM LOWE (deceased) was born July 27, 1803, in York County, Penn., where he there married, March 8, 1832, Miss Sarah Hendricks, who was born in Baltimore County, Md., March 1, 1812. Our subject and wife came to Richland County, Ohio, in the fall of 1837, and, after three years' residence there, finally located on land they had previously purchased in Jackson Township, this county. Hero they began to clear up and develop their farm, which was yet an unbroken wilderness. They had first entered eighty acres of land, to which they afterward added eighty acres and then forty acres, the farm now consisting of 200 acres of well improved land. Mr. and Mrs. Lowe reared a family of three children: Melchi, now living at home; Mrs. Tirbah Jane Ann Fahl, and Sylvester. William Lowe, the subject of this sketch, died August 22, 1876. He was a life-long Democrat. He and his wife were early members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Lowe now occupies the family homestead. Melchi Lowe, who resides with her, was born September 21, 1833. He was prostrated, in 1851, by a severe attack of typhoid fever, which partly deprived him of the use of his lower limbs. He is a gentleman of good education and mental culture. Sylvester E. Lowe married Miss Susan Foster, December 18, 1874, and is now farming a part of the homestead farm. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



WILLIAM M. LOWTHER, deputy clerk of the court of common pleas, Findlay, was born in Washington County, Penn.. July 19, 1830, son of William and Eleanor (Farrar) Lowther, natives of that county, who settled in Holmes County, Ohio, in 1834, and who reared a family of five sons and four daughters, of whom three sons and one daughter survive. The Lowthers and Farrars were of old Irish pioneers in Maryland and Pennsylvania; of the former belongs Sir James Lowthor, of the Irish peerage. Our subject is the grandson of Adam Lowther, one of three brothers of an old Irish family, two of whom, Adam (just mentioned) and William, came to this country, landing at Baltimore, Md. The subject of this sketch married in Holmes County, Ohio, Delilah, daughter of George Uhl, a pioneer of Holmes County, from Maryland, and sister to the Hon. D. S. Uhl, an attorney, of Holmes County. Mr. and Mrs. Lowther have one child, Mollie Cameron. Mrs. Lowther is a worthy member of the Lutheran Church. Our subject is a Royal Arch Mason. He is also Worthy Past Grand in the I.O.O.F. Since coming here, in 1871, he has been almost continuously in county work as deputy auditor, clerk, etc. In politics he is a Democrat. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]






BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails