Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line

JOSEPH MARKEL, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Schuylkill Township, Berks Co.. Penn., July 14, 1830. His parents, George and Catherine Markel, moved to Pickaway County, Ohio, the year after Joseph was born, and there resided until their death. Joseph Markel was reared in Pickaway County, Ohio, and there acquired his early education. He united in marriage with Miss Eliza Ann Everet, of Ross County, Ohio, July 6, 1857, and three weeks thereafter they moved to Eagle Township, this county, where Mr. Markel rented a farm on which he resided eight years. He then returned to Pickaway County, Ohio, and took care of his father until the death of the latter March 3, 1875, he dying at the age of eighty-three years, one month and three days. After the death of his father our subject returned to Eagle Township, this county, and purchased the farm he had formerly rented. He now owns 160 acres of well improved land with good buildings thereon. Mr. Markel takes a lively interest in fine stock, and has owned some of the finest thorough-bred cattle in this county; he has also given considerable attention to fine horses. To Mr. and Mrs. Markel have been born three children: Mrs. Anna Walters, Mrs. Rachel Alspach and George S. Our subject and wife are members of the Lutheran Church. He is a life-long Democrat; has been a delegate to the Democratic convention nearly every year since his residence in this County. He is an upright and worthy citizen, and is highly respected by the entire community. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


MILTON MAY
, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, was born in Brooke County, Va. (now West Virginia), January 30, 1829. In 1850 he went with the gold hunters to California and remained there six months; during this time he had a severe attack of mountain fever. He decided to return to his native county, and leaving San Francisco, with only one dime in his pocket, he worked before the mast for his passage to Panama, and arriving there, engaged at carpenting for two months, then crossed the Isthmus to Chagres, and shipped for New Orleans, being promoted on the voyage to second mate. Arriving in New Orleans, he made his way up the Mississippi River to Steubenville, Ohio, and in the spring of 1852, he came to Delaware Township, this county, where he had previously acquired a tract of land. This land he now began clearing up and improving, and September 15, 1853, he married Sarah Louisa Smith, daughter of the pioneer Abijah Smith, and they located in their present home in Delaware Township, this county, in the spring of 1857; here they have a fine farm of eighty-one acres of well improved land; they also own a tract of 137 acres in Delaware and Amanda Townships, this county. Mr. and Mrs. May have two children: Dr. A. S. May, in Donaldson, Marshall Co., Ind., and Lewis B., at home. Mr. May is a member of the Methodist Church, Mrs. May of the Presbyterian. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


MOSES McANELLY
(deceased) was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., in 1805, son of John and Mary McAnelly, natives of Ireland, who came to America in an early day. Moses McAnelly came to this county in 1836 and married here, the same year, Mary, daughter of William and Nancy (Teeters) Roller, and to them were born eight children: William (deceased), Mary (wife of M. McAnelly, a cousin, have ten children), Nancy (wife of Nathan Thomas, have no children), Lucinda (wife of Charles Beemer, have five children), Charlotte (wife of B. Cole, have five children), Jefferson (married to Sarah E. Leonard, have six children); he is practicing law in Colorado, and is at present judge of Larimer County, Col.; John (deceased), and Moses (married to Phebe E. Cooper, have two children). The subject of this sketch departed this life in 1852. His widow and a part of her family still occupy the old home farm in Big Lick Township. In politics Mr. McAnelly was a Democrat. He was elected to both branches of the State Legislature, to the House of Representatives in 1839, and to the Senate of Ohio in 1842. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


N. B. McCLISH, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Gilboa, Putnam County, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, August 16, 1821, son of James and Patience (Bishop) McClish, the latter born in New Jersey, of Irish descent. His father, a native of Maryland, a school teacher by occupation, and a soldier in the war of 1812, came to this county October 3, 1836, and settled within a few rods of where the McClish bridge now stands, and died three days after his arrival. His family consisted of eleven children, ten of whom grew to maturity, seven coming to this county. Only three of the family are now living: N. B., a sister residing in Illinois, and a brother who has resided in California since 1848, a large man, weighing 400 pounds. Our subject has made agriculture his occupation, and now resides on the farm where his father settled, in 1836, and to which our subject has since added until he now owns 410 acres, the farm being one of the most valuable in this county. Mr. McClish has been twice married; first, in 1848, to a daughter of Henry Moffit; she died in 1855, leaving three children: Ivy, Herman and Mary. In 1856 our subject was again married; this time to a daughter of Owen Street, a pioneer farmer of Union Township, this county. The children of this union are Patience, Annie (wife of Samuel Cartwright), Harriet E. (wife of Samuel Burthart). Dean, P. B., Anna G. and May. The mother of those children died in 1884, and since her death our subject's daughter has kept the children together. The family attend the Methodist Church. Mr. McClish takes an active interest in the schools, and has served as school director. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


THOMAS McKlNNIS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Oak Ridge, was born on the farm adjoining where he now resides, in Liberty Township, this county, October 26, 1826, son of Charles and Mary (Vail) McKinnis, latter of whom was a native of Virginia, of Scotch-Irish descent. Charles McKinnis, a native of Pennsylvania, also of Scotch-Irish descent, a farmer by occupation, came to this county in 1822, settled in Liberty Township, and in 1827 took up land where our subject now resides, in Blanchard Township. His family numbered six children, all of whom grew to maturity, Thomas being the second. Our subject was reared on the farm, received a fair English education, and has made farming his principal business. He is the owner of 180 acres of well improved land. In 1850 he was united in marriage with Elizabeth McClintock, a lady of Scotch-Irish descent, whose father was an early settler of Harrison County. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. McKinnis: Violet (wife of Jacob Grubb, a farmer of this county), Cloys B. (at home), Alice (wife of E. L. Groves) and Laura (deceased). Mrs. McKinnis is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In politics, Mr. McKinnis is a Democrat. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


J. R. McLEOD, M. D., Benton Ridge, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, July 27, 1833, son of John and Elizabeth (Cole) McLeod, the former a native of Philadelphia, of Scotch and English extraction, and the latter a native of Ohio; they reared a family of eleven children, J. R. being the eldest. Our subject came to this county in 1834 with his father, and they settled in Amanda Township, where the Doctor's maternal grandfather, Mr. Cole, entered land. Our subject was reared on the farm, acquired his education in this county and at Delaware College in this State; he then began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Williamson and commenced the practice of medicine in Clinton, HI., in 1857; in 1861 he turned his attention to the study of law and in 1863 graduated in the law school of the Cincinnati College, and was admitted to the bar. He practiced law until 1876, when his health failed and his physicians gave him up, telling him that his disease would prove fatal in less than twelve months. Our subject now resumed the study of medicine, making his own case a specialty; he regained his health and graduated in medicine in Keokuk, Iowa, in 1877. In 1880 the Doctor came to Benton Ridge, and has been engaged in the practice of medicine since. He was united in marriage, in 1862, with Mary E. Howard, daughter of Capt. Samuel Howard, who was several times treasurer of this county, served in the war of the Rebellion and held a commission as captain of volunteers; he is a resident of Findlay. Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Dr. McLeod are parents of the following named children: Charles D., Samuel H. and Bessie Belle. Mrs. McLeod and daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity, of the I. O. O. F. and of the Northwestern Ohio Medical Association, also of the Hancock Medical Association. The Doctor resided in Shelby County, Mo., for several years after the war, and in 1870 was elected president of the county court of that county, serving for six years. During the war of the Rebellion he was a non-commissioned officer in the One Hundred and Sixty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


LEMUEL McMANNESS,
sheriff of Hancock County, Findlay, was born in Cumberland County, Penn., October 1,1846, son of John and Jane (Stubbs) McManness, natives of that county. In 1856 they moved to Findlay, Ohio, where John McManness died in 1866, preceded by his wife a few days. They left one son, Lemuel, and two daughters: Anna C., wife of J. H. Decker and Mary (now deceased). The subject of this sketch, when a lad of eleven years, apprenticed himself to the grocery business here, in the store of Isaac Davis, and was prominently identified with that industry here, embarking in it in 1870 and retiring in 1883. In 1882 he had purchased an interest in the Findlay Linseed Oil Mills and latterly in the Rake Factory with both of which he is still connected. He has always been a hard-working, painstaking, business man and citizen, and has accumulated a handsome competence in his business. He is of fine physique, vigorous disposition and versatile nature, and this, coupled with his long experience of upright dealing with the people of Hancock County, have made him one of their most popular men. Although often requested to accept offices in their gift, Mr. McManness declined till, in 1884, he accepted the nomination to sheriff, as a Republican, and carried the ticket largely in a Democratic County. He had previously held the clerkship of the city. During the war of the Rebellion he offered his services in the ranks, but was too young; he however served from 1862 till the end of the war in the medical department and the sutlers' corps in connection with the quartermaster's department of the Army of the Tennessee. Mr.McManness was married in Findlay, in 1875, to Amanda E., daughter of Jacob Kimmons, this union being blessed with one girl, Katie. Mrs. McManness is a worthy member of the Lutheran Church, to which her husband is a liberal contributor. He is a F. & A. M. and a member of the K. of P. Sheriff McManness has always been a liberal supporter of the social and industrial development of Findlay and Hancock County, and is esteemed by all parties in this locality. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


HUGH McMURRAY
, farmer, P. O. Van Buren, was born in Richland County, Ohio, November 4, 1832, - son of James and Margaret (McHarry) McMurray, natives of Ireland. James McMurray was born May 2, 1800, and came to Canada July 3, 1821, shortly afterward removing to the United States. He was a farmer, an active member of the Presbyterian Church, and an ardent Republican. His family consisted of eight children: William (deceased), Ann (deceased), James (deceased), Hugh, George (deceased), John H., Thomas H. and Margaret J. George was a member of the One Hundred and Eighteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and died in Andersonville Prison. Hugh, the subject of this sketch, came to this county in 1840, and has since resided here. He has a farm of 258 acres of land and a beautiful residence. He was united in marriage with Eliza Zarbaugh, a daughter of John Zarbaugh, an old resident of this county, now living in VanBuren. Our subject and wife have seven children living: Albina, born February 27, 1868; George, born February 22, 1870; Antonette, born December 27, 1872; Harry J., born November 2, 1874; Mary.C., born December 12, 1877; Ardinell, born December 12, 1879, and John F., born February 4, 1883. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


HENRY MILLER, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born May 25, 1847, in Pickaway County, Ohio, is a son of Sebastian and Virginia (Rea) Miller, former a native of Pennsylvania, latter of Ohio. Sebastian Miller, a wagon-maker by trade, was born August 10, 1816, in Chester County, Penn., came to Ohio in 1838, and settled in Pickaway County, Ohio, where he purchased land. In 1852 he came to Hancock County, settling in Amanda Township, and there remained for many years, then sold his property and removed to Michigan, where he remained for three months; then returned to Hancock County and purchased a farm adjoining the one he formerly owned. Here he died; his widow survived him about three years and a half. He and his brother, J. R., were the only members of the family who came to Hancock County, both settling in Amanda Township. Sebastian Miller was father of eight children: Henry, Perry (married to Miss Wingate), John (married to Miss A. Beard), Maggie, Emma, Mary, Eliza and Martha. Henry Miller, the subject of this sketch, is a substantial farmer. He owns land in Marion Township, and also has charge of his father's old homestead, which has not yet been divided. He is a prominent member and trustee of the United Brethren Church. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


J. J. MILLER, manufacturer, superintendent of the Findlay stave and handle factory, Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, February 1, 1853, son of the Rev. John Wesley Miller, who served for many years in eastern Ohio in connection with Baptist Church work. He died in 1855, leaving his widow, Ellen (Ellison) Miller, and a son and three daughters. The subject of this sketch was early educated to wood-working and manufacturing business in Findlay (coming here in 1862) and has been creditably connected with that industry here since. He was united in marriage in Findlay, in 1872, with Barbara, daughter of Theodore and Catharine Seibel, natives of Germany. They have two sons and two daughters: Albert, Maggie, Estella and John. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are members of the Church of God. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WILLIAM B. MILLER, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, February 11, 1825, son of Martin and Catharine (Baker) Miller, who resided in Fairfield County, Ohio, until their death, both living to the age of eighty years. Our subject was united in marriage with Miss Jane Martin, March 27, 1845, and they came to Marion Township, this county, February 8, 1847, where Mr. Miller owned eighty acres of land near the southwest corner of the township, and to this he has added 100 acres by purchase, and has sold twenty acres of it; he at present owns a fine farm of 160 acres of well improved land, on which he has erected excellent buildings and made other valuable improvements. He also owns other lands in the neighborhood, amounting to 140 acres, aggregating in all 300 acres. To Mr. and Mrs. William B. Miller have been born thirteen children, four of whom died in infancy, and one, Mrs. Elizabeth J. Wisely, died at the age of twenty years, leaving two children: Orpha and Curtis M. The surviving children of our subject and wife are Mrs. Rachel L. Wisely, Sherman M., Mrs. Laura A. Whetstone, Mrs. Mary C. Bennett, Mrs. Harriet A. Lee, Alice C., Flora E. and Henry G, The latter three are still living at home. Mr. Miller is a Republican in politics, and previous to the organization of that party was a Whig, and takes a deep interest in public affairs. He was also nominated by the Republican convention of this county for representative to the State Legislature in the year 1879, and was beaten by Mr. William H. Wheeler 295 votes, while Gov. Foster was beaten 397 votes, and the rest of the State ticket was beaten by over 400 votes. He served his township as trustee several terms, and as treasurer one term. He was elected justice of the peace in the spring of 1883,' and discharged the duties of that office faithfully and to the entire satisfaction of the people. He and his worthy wife and most of his family are members of the United Brethren Church. Mr. Miller is one of the leading farmers and representative citizens of Marion Township. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



JOHN MISAMOKE, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, born December 25, 1813, in Pickaway County, Ohio, is a son of Michael and Mary (Hager) Misamore, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of Pennsylvania. Michael Misamore came to Ohio soon after it was organized as a State, and settled in what is now Pickaway County. In order to get land at that time he was obliged to take 640 acres. He came to Hancock County in 1831 and settled in that part of Jackson Township which was afterward struck off into Amanda Township. He entered 160 acres of land, in two tracts, erected his cabin in the forest, and made his home on what is now Section 13, Amanda Township. He had at that time eleven children, of whom there are now living Henry, Emanuel, Mollie (wife of Chester Cook), Matilda (wife of Elijah Gorsage) and John. The subject of this sketch has been twice married; first, in 1835, to Rachael Hammond, who bore him five children, of whom three survive: Henry, Amanda (wife of J. Siddall) and Mary Jane (wife of Harrison Hoy). After the death of his first wife Mr. Misamore married Mary A. Sheldon, and to this union were born James, Milton, Michael, Ellen, Eli J., Presly H., Owen Or., Emma, Delma and Mollie, all now living, and three others deceased, Mr. Misamore being the father of seventeen children in all. Mr. Misamore has been a successful farmer, and says he worked to accumulate property in proportion to the increase of his family. His father built the first grist-mill in Amanda Township, and our subject afterward rebuilt and operated it for twenty years. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


R. I. MOFFITT, farmer, P. O. Oak Ridge, was born in Blanchard Township, this county, October 1, 1837, son of William and Polly (Lattie) Moffitt, natives of Ross County, Ohio, of Irish descent. William Moffitt was among the early pioneers of this county and succeeded in accumulating a handsome fortune; he died in 1884. His family consisted of eleven children, four of whom survive, our subject being the youngest son. R. I. Moffitt received his education in the common schools, has followed farming all his life and resides on the home farm consisting of 840 acres of land. He owns a half interest in this farm and another farm of eighty acres. Mr. Moffitt was united in marriage, in 1867, with the daughter of William McClish, a pioneer farmer of Franklin County, of Irish descent. Mr. and Mrs. Moffitt are parents of the following children: Clarence I., Arthur A., David O., Mary E., Alonzo I. and Harold R. Mr. Moffitt is a Republican in politics; has been school director and trustee of Blanchard Township. He has never united with any secret organization, except the Grange. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


A. J. MOORE, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born September 23, 1827, in Beaver County, Penn., son of William and Nancy (Bayless) Moore, the former a native of Westmoreland County, Penn., and the latter a native of Washington, Penn. They married in 1823 and came to Ohio in 1841. They reared a family of nine children, eight of whom were born in Pennsylvania and one in Ohio: Samuel B., Andrew J., Casander J., John B., Benjamin F., Nathaniel H., Ann Eliza (wife of M. Marvin). James (deceased while young), and William H., the latter born in this county. The subject of this sketch was married, June 8, 1853, to Nancy, daughter of the pioneer John Moore, and to them were born six children: John F., William C., Samuel A., Mary (wife of A. Lacky), Nancy C. (wife of James C. Martin) and A. Jackson. Mr. Moore now resides on what was formerly the old home farm of his father-in-law, John Moore. He held the office of postmaster all the time his office was in existence, justice of the peace for three years, township clerk, trustee, supervisor and land appraiser, and has been school director and treasurer of Big Lick Township. He is a successful farmer, much respected by all who know him. He is connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


AMOS MOORE, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born August 15, 1807, in Fairfield County, Ohio, is a son of John and Annie (Spurgeon) Moore, natives of Maryland and pioneers of Ohio and of Hancock County. John Moore moved from Fairfield County, Ohio, to this county in 1832, and entered land near the Limestone Ridge, called '' Ridgeville" or " Big Spring," where he resided until his death. Of his family of seven children three only are now living: Rosilla (wife of J. Duddleson), Elizabeth (now in Tennessee, widow of Stephen Lee), and Amos. Our subject received his education in Fairfield County, Ohio, and there learned the wheelwright trade, and engaged in the manufacture of spinning wheels, both large and small. He carried on this business until some time after the breaking out of the late war. He married, in 1838, Margaret, daughter of Robert Walker, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, who came to America in 1802, settled in Pennsylvania, and afterward moved to Stark County, Ohio, where Mrs. Moore was born in 1815, the sixth child in a family of ten children, only three of whom are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Moore have been blessed with two children: Francis and George W. Mr. Moore resides on his farm near Vanlue, this county. He is in good circumstances, and is respected by his fellow citizens. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN F. MOORE, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born June 30, 1854, in Big Lick Township, this county, son of A. J. and Nancy Moore, the former a native of Beaver County, Penn., and the latter of Ashland County, Ohio, and who came to this county in 1841 and settled in Big Lick Township. They were parents of six children: John F., William C., S. A., Mary A., Nancy C. and A. J. John F. Moore married, January 17, 1877, Sarah E., daughter of Garret Lefferson, and to them were born two children: Calvin L. and Clyde M. John F. Moore has a fine farm of eighty acres of well improved land (formerly owned by G. W. Graham), with good buildings upon it. He is one of the enterprising young farmers of Big Lick Township. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN MOORE, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born near Lancaster, Penn., October 16, 1808, son of Hugh and Susan (Buckwalter) Moore, the former a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, and the latter of Pennsylvania. Hugh Moore came to America about the year 1800, and settled in Pennsylvania; of his ten children four are now living: John, William, Nancy (wife of William Nelson), and Amanda (wife of William Cole). John Moore came to Ohio with his parents in 1828 and settled in Richland (now Ashland) County. He was married, in 1833, to Agnes W. Roller, daughter of William Roller, a descendant of Capt. Weston, an old English navigator and explorer. To Mr. and Mrs. Moore were born eleven children, of whom ten are now living: Nancy, wife of A. J. Moore; Susannah; Mary, wife of R. Taylor; Ross W.; William died in infancy; Robert Bruce; Thomas Dorr; John Duff; Amanda, wife of C. Dressier; Lucinda, wife of H. Lackey, and Emma, wife of J. W. Bear; all reside in this county. Mr. Moore came to this county in 1833 with his wife's father, who entered eight quarter-sections of land in Big Lick Township, Mr. Moore getting one-quarter section as his part of it. This land was entered by Mr. Roller, the father-in-law. A large part of this land is now held by his heirs, he having divided his lands among his children. His original farm is on Section 15, Big Lick Township, where A. J. Moore now resides. John Moore purchased the farm on which he now resides in 1866. He has filled the offices of township trustee, clerk, fence viewer, and other places of trust, and is a valuable citizen. He has been successful in life and is now enjoying the fruits of his former years of hard labor, tenderly caring for the declining years of his wife, who has been an invalid for some years. Mr. Moore has not attached himself to any church, but believes in the Universal doctrine. In politics he is a Democrat and voted for Andrew Jackson. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOSEPH MOORE, farmer. P. O. Forest, Hardin County, was born June f), 1815, in Beaver County, Penn., and when he was seventeen months old his parents, William and Amelia Moore, brought him to Athens County, Ohio. The parents afterward spent nine years in Delaware County, Ohio, and came in 1839 to Delaware Township, this county, where they entered 160 acres of land from the Government, and cleared up a farm. Of their thirteen children seven are now living: Mrs. Margaret Durfee (in Rockport, Mo.), John (in Hancock County), Mrs. Eleanor Gallant (in Delaware County, Ohio), Mrs. Charlotte Calvert (in Athens County, Ohio), Samuel (in Delaware County, Ohio), Joseph and Mrs. Emily Gallant. William Moore died December 12, 1852, aged seventy-seven years, and his widow May 18, 1858, aged seventy-seven years; they were upright pioneers, highly respected by all who knew them. The subject of this sketch spent eleven years of his life in Delaware County, Ohio. He married, October 20, 1836, Miss Martha E. Thompson of Athens County, Ohio, and they moved at once to Delaware County, Ohio, and from there, in 1843, to their present home in Delaware Township, this county. Here they have a fine farm of 236 acres of well improved land. Mr. and Mrs. Moore have been blessed with six children, three of whom are now living: Sidney F. (in Forest, Hard in Co., Ohio), Naaman T., and Mrs. Mary C. Gilbert, in Forest. Those deceased are Mrs. Paulina Miller, Rebecca and Eliza E. Sidney F. and Naaman T., gave their services, from September, 1862, to the close of the war, in defense of the Union. July 10, 1873, while cutting wheat with a reaper, our subject met with an accident which resulted in the loss of his left leg below the knee. Mr. Moore, formerly a Whig, has been a Republican since the organization of that party. He has served his township for several terms as trustee, and is one of the successful farmers and reliable citizens of Delaware Township, highly respected by his fellow citizens. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ROSS W. MOORE, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Big Lick Township, this county, January 3, 1838, son of John and Agnes (Roller) Moore. He married, October 20, 1861, Sarah E., daughter of Jesse Wiseley, one of the earliest settlers in Big Lick Township, this county, and who erected the first frame dwelling house in the township (this building is still standing and is the oldest house in the township). To Mr. and Mrs. Moore have been born two children: Ralph W. and Lewis C. Mr. Moore acquired his education in Big Lick Township, this county. He is the owner of a fine farm of 160 acres of well improved land, on which he has excellent buildings with modern improvements. He is a thorough farmer and one of the leading citizens of his township. He has filled the office of township trustee for several terms, and has been commissioner for seven years, which last named office he is still holding. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity; a man greatly respected by his friends. In politics he is a Democrat. Mrs. Moore is a member of the United Brethren Church. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


S. C. MOORE, lumber dealer and manufacturer of lumber, Findlay, was born in Jackson Township, this county, September 18, 1839, son of James B. and Hannah Moore, pioneers of Jackson Township. The Moores came of Irish stock in Virginia. The children of James B. Moore (by two marriages) were John, Armenia Euretta, and Rachel, Jackson (deceased), S. C., Adam, William, George and Mary E. The subject of our sketch was reared to mechanical work which he followed till the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion. He enlisted in 1862, in the Seventh Independent Ohio Volunteers Sharp Shooters and served in Sherman's body guard until the end of the struggle. A few years after the war he went to Missouri where he spent some four years and then returned to Findlay, this county, where he has since been prominently connected with manufacturing interests. Mr. Moore was married in this city to Sidney A. Winders, who died in 1873. He was married on second occasion to Sarah J., daughter of John Povenmire, a pioneer of this county. He has a family of five children: Elizabeth, by first wife, and Myrta N., Addie M., Alice and an infant by his second marriage. The family attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Moore is a member of Stoker Post, G. A. R. and of the I.0.0. F. He is one of Findlay's public-spirited citizens, and has contributed in no small degree to its material advancement, not only in manufacturing but in the development of the social and public life. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


SOLOMON MORE, of the firm of S. & I. S. More, proprietors of lumber mills, Findlay, was born in Carroll County, Ohio, October 25, 1827, son of John and Elizabeth (Kleckner) More, the former a son of Andrew More, a native of Germany; the latter a daughter of Frederick Kleckner, also a native of Germany. The families of More and Kleckner came from Washington County, Penn., to Carroll County, Ohio. John More settled in Big Lick Township, this county, in 1834, where eleven sons and three daughters were reared. Solomon More, our subject, took up milling some twenty-eight years ago and has since been successfully connected with it. He married, December 14, 1854, Margaret, daughter of Jonathan Fenstenmaker, who settled in Amanda Township, this county, in 1838. They have one son, Isaac Stofer, who married Lida, daughter of William Casteel, of Marion Township, this county, and by this union has one son and one daughter: Otto Harry and Eva Blanche. The family attend the services of the United Brethren Church. Solomon More is a strong temperance man, and has always advocated Prohibition principles in good strong terms. He and his son are enterprising business men and do a nice trade in lumber milling here. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN MOREHART, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, born October 30, 1830, in Fairfield County, Ohio, is a son of Andrew and Mary (Cashner) Morehart, natives of Pennsylvania, and who came to Ohio in 1817; they were pioneers of Fairfield County, Ohio. In 1832 they came to Hancock County and settled on Section 10, Amanda Township. Andrew Morehart entered eighty acres of land, which he sold in a few years, and then bought eighty acres of a Mr. Brown, and entered 160 acres adjoining it, and there lived until 1855, when he bought 160 acres together with eighty acres now belonging to Mrs. Pratt, and here he lived the remainder of his days. Andrew Morehart was the father of thirteen children: Matilda (deceased), Mary A., Andrew J. (deceased), John, Adam (deceased), Jacob (deceased), Selina, Lydia, Alfred (deceased), Christian (deceased), Noah (deceased), David C. (deceased), and Henry. John, Adam, Jacob (who died November 13, 1885), David C., Andrew J. and their father served in the army, Andrew J., Adam and David C. dying there. The father came home and died from the effects of army life. John, the subject of this sketch, was wounded twice, the first time at Resaca, the second time at Atlanta, Ga., where he was captured by the enemy. He was in Andersonville Prison sixty-four days and then exchanged. He married, in 1854, Frances, a daughter of Charles and Alice Hill, who came from Pennsylvania to Hancock County, Ohio, in 1844. Mrs. Morehart is the eldest of five children who settled in Amanda Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Morehart have been blessed with twelve children: Alice V. (wife of John Leader), George C. (married to Josephine Howard), Alfred F. and Arminda (deceased), twins, John E., Henry L. and Laura E. (twins), Olive B. Mary C., Lucy J., William F. and Iona F. Mr. Morehart now occupies the old homestead of his father, a well regulated farm of fifty-nine acres. He is a member of the G. A. R.; also a member of the United Brethren Church. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WASHINGTON MOREHART, farmer, P. O. Vanlue, was born March 4, 1817, in Fairfield County, Ohio. His grandparents came from Westmoreland County, Penn., and were pioneers of Fairfield County, Ohio. Our subject, with his brother William Josiah and sisters Sarah and Maria, came to Hancock County, Ohio, in 1833, and began pioneer life on land which he and his uncle, Andrew (then a resident of Seneca County, Ohio), had entered some time prior to that date. They soon erected a cabin and began clearing their land with a view to making a home. In 1839 Mr. Morehart married Elizabeth, daughter of George Breiner, and by her he has three children: Malinda, wife of F. M. Lee; Caroline, wife of R. M. Lee; and Christiann, wife of Isaac Wohlgamuth. Mrs. Morehart departed this life in 1884. Mr. Morehart lived on his farm forty years, then moved to the village of Vanlue, this county, where he has since resided, but still owns and manages his farm. He had but little to begin life with, but has acquired a fair competency. He has filled the office of township trustee for several years, and is a man highly respected by his fellow townsmen. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


THOMAS MUSGRAVE (deceased) was born March 5, 1827, in Coshocton County, Ohio, son of William and Margaret Musgrave, who came to Delaware Township, this county, in 1832, where they still reside. Our subject was reared on his father's farm and shared the lot of a pioneer's son. He married, July 1, 1849, Miss Margaret Ann Wineland, born May 15, 1830, in Richland County, Ohio, and who came to this county in 1847 with her parents, John and Mary Wineland, who resided here until their death. Mr. and Mrs. Musgrave resided in Delaware Township, this county, from the date of their marriage. In 1863 they settled on their present homestead, where he had a fine farm of 200 acres of well improved land. To our subject and wife were born the following named children: John W. (married Miss Emma Moore and resides on the farm), Washington (in Jay County, Ind.), Franklin, Mary Jane, Mrs. Angeline Castor, Mrs. Laura Sink and Ulysses S. Mr. Musgrave died June 22, 1880. He was a Republican in politics and took a deep interest in public affairs, serving as township trustee. He was an upright citizen, a man of much influence in the community. His widow now resides on the family homestead. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


GEORGE W. MYERS, judge of probate court, Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, March 14, 1833. son of Matthew and Barbara (Beck) Myers, the former of whom, a native of Baden, came to America in 182 3 when a lad and settled in Fairfield County; the latter, a native of Wurtemberg, came to this county with her parents, who settled in Fairfield County in 1819. They reared one eon and one daughter: George W. and Eliza, wife of Henry C. Graffe, jeweler in Ft. Wayne, Ind. The family removed here in 1848, when Mr. Myers carried on merchandising. The subject of this sketch received a good education, and at sixteen joined a party who made an overland trip to California, and, after an interesting journey of sixteen months, arrived at Weaverville, September 1, 1849. After spending a few years in the Golden State, Mr. Myers returned, in 1852, and embarked in the jewelry business at Goshen, Ind., which he retired from to accept a position in the postal department on the Lake Shore Railway. Retiring in 1859 he came here and built the Lake Erie & Western Elevator and has been very prominently engaged in the grain trade here since, meanwhile serving as agent for that corporation here till 1881. Mr. Myers was married in Findlay, in 1855, to Sally W. C., daughter of Squire Carlin. They have two sons: Clark, in the grain business in Findlay, and Carlin, a farmer and stock raiser in Kosciusko, Ind. Judge Myers has always been an active business man and citizen, and has contributed in no small degree to the development of many of Findlay's important industries; he has been a worthy official in local matters and, in 1884, the people of this county testified their appreciation of him by electing him to his present incumbency. [Source: "History of Hancock Co", Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails