Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line

CHARLES OESTERLEN, physician, Findlay, was born in Weinsberg, Kingdom of Wurtemberg, October, 5, 1807, son of Rev. Frederick Oesterlen (a worthy minister of the Lutheran Church), and Louisa (Knab) Oesterlen. Our subject, when a lad, attended school at Laufen on the Necker. At fourteen he entered the gymnasium at Stuttgart, from which he graduated at the age of eighteen in a thorough literary, scientific and classical course. He then went to Dubingen where he engaged in medical studies under an able professor. In 1832 he came to America, and after spending some considerable time in traveling through the country, located in Ashland, Ohio, in 1834. September 30, 1836, he came to Findlay, where he has since been connected with the practice of medicine very successfully. In 1846 he embarked in merchandising here, from which he retired in 1848; from 1848 to 1862 he served in the councils of the city; in 1871 he was elected (the first representative of the Republican party from Hancock County) to the Legislature of the State. In 1863 Mr. Oesterlen visited his native land, and again in 1876, when he was recalled by the loss of several thousands of dollars through the breaking of the Findlay Savings Bank Company. In June, 1885, along with his estimable wife, who has always accompanied him, he again started for his old home in the Fatherland, but got sick in New York and did not cross the ocean, but came home. He was married in Findlay, in 1838, to Amelia, daughter of Leonard Tritch. They have no children of their own, but have reared a brother and sister of Mrs. Oesterlen, viz.: Harriet (deceased wife of Dr. Detwiler), and Parley C. Tritch, ex-sheriff of Hancock County. Dr. Oesterlen has ever been an ardent supporter of all measures tending to advance public interest. He was one of the first to advocate boring for natural gas here, and is one of the important stockholders of the Findlay Natural Gas Company. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN OMAN,
farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Columbia County, Penn., February 14, 1804. His parents, Henry and Ellen Oman, came to Eagle Township, this county, in 1840, and settled on a new farm, where they resided until their death. Of their twelve children, six are now living: John, Joseph, Mrs. Elizabeth Foreman, Mrs. Rachel Hosler, Hanna Jane and Mrs. Sarah Ann Keller. John Oman left Columbia County, Penn., when he was a young man, and came to Portage County, Ohio. He was united in marriage with Miss Faithful Ellet, and they located in Eagle Township, this county, in 1840, here settling on a new farm, which they cleared up and developed. The children born of their union were Josiah, Ephraim I., Mrs. Hannah Jane Crouse, Mrs. Rebecca Ellen Crouse (deceased), and Margaret (deceased). Ephraim I. was a soldier in the Twenty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served from September, 1864 to June, 18B5. He went through with Sherman to the sea, taking part in many of the historic engagements of the Georgia campaign, and left an honorable record as a brave and faithful soldier. Returning home Ephraim I. Oman married Miss Minerva Newell, daughter of Joseph Newell, of Jackson Township, this county. The result of this marriage is one daughter, Emma Sedora. Mrs. Oman died May 28, 1875. John Oman, the subject of this sketch, was a famous and skillful hunter in the early days of this county. During the winter of 1843-44 he shot forty deer, most of them within one or two miles of his house. He was one of the best marksmen at long range ever known in this county, shooting accurately at a distance of from 150 to 200 yards. Mr. Oman is a life-long Whig and Republican. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church from early life. He is one of the honored pioneers of Eagle Township, highly respected by all who know him. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOSEPH OMAN, farmer, P. O. Arlington, was born in Columbia County, Penn., October 17, 1807. He moved to Portage County, Ohio, in 1833, and came from there, in 1837, to Eagle Township, this county, where he had been and purchased land the year before, paying for it in Canton bank notes, which money became worthless a few days after he made the purchase, by the failure of the bank. Joseph Oman was united in marriage, February 6, 1837, with Miss Eliza Ann Frees, of Seneca County, Ohio, a native of Columbia County, Penn. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Oman moved to their new place, and began the pioneer work of clearing it up and making a home. There being no mill near, they had to grate corn to make bread. He succeeded in developing a fine farm of 320 acres. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Oman are Jacob F., now living in Schuyler, Colfax County, Neb. (He was a soldier in Company B, Twenty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry; was taken prisoner at Chickamauga, and held in various prisons in the South until the close of the war. He earned an honorable record as a brave and faithful soldier.) The next son, Henry, now at home, was a soldier in the One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Regiment Ohio National Guards; Wesley B. F. was also a soldier in the One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Regiment Ohio National Guards. (He united in marriage, March 15, 1883, with Miss Amy D. Mahon; they have one son, John Wesley.) John H. is at home; Rachel Ellen died at the age of ten months. The mother of these children died of paralysis, June 19, 1884. The entire family are earnest Republicans. Joseph Oman is very firm in his temperance principles, having signed the pledge during his pioneer days in Portage County, Ohio. He would never join in the general custom of treating, and his sons have followed in his footsteps in this regard. Mr. and Mrs. Oman were two of the first seven to form the Keller Methodist Episcopal Church, and in 1871) they united with the Evangelical Lutheran Church. Mr. Oman is one the leading and honored pioneers of Eagle Township. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


CHARLES W. O'NEAL, deceased, was born in Middletown. Frederick Co., Md., January 19, 1811. His father, Horatio G. O'Neal, was for many years employed in the auditor's office at Washington, D. C., and was distinguished as an efficient clerk, as well as one of the finest penmen ever employed as a government official. In 1833 Charles W. O'Neal came to Zanesville, Ohio, where, in 1834 he was married to Miss Amy J. Baldwin. In 1835 he came to Findlay. Ohio, studied law with Edson Goit and A. F. Merriam, and was admitted to the bar in August, 1838. When he came West he seemed predisposed to consumption, but, being a practical surveyor, his services were often called into requisition in surveying and locating roads, the principal one being the State road from Findlay, Ohio, to Fort Wayne, and this open air work contributed greatly to the restoration of his health. He also taught a number of terms in the Findlay school, and many of the business men, now in middle life, wore formerly his pupils. He held the office of county auditor one term, and in 1844 was elected to and served one term in the State Senate. He was prudent, diligent, methodical to a remarkable degree in all his pursuits, and some time prior to his death, December 20, 1879, he partially retired from business life and spent a part of his time in Kendalville and Elkhart, Ind., but when disease warned him of his approaching death he came back to die among his friends. He was converted at the age of sixteen years, and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which his attachment was strong and his interests great during his whole life. Filled as it was with duties and responsibilities of his various occupations, he .never forgot his fealty to God; and the religion of Christ, which he embraced when a mere youth, cheered and sustained him when '' heart and flesh failed," and the kindly ministrations of loving hearts were powerless to comfort. His marriage gave him four children, of whom Josephine V. was married to James Harsh, of Massillon, Ohio, who practiced law some ten years in Findlay. (He read law with O'Neal, Blackford & Whiteley, at Findlay. He enlisted in the Ninety-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and held a commission as lieutenant, but was discharged on account of ill health and died in 1870, leaving a daughter, Mary F., who married J. E. Peirce, of Dayton, Ohio.) Our subject's second child was Mary E.; the third, Emma F., is married to Joseph O. Gregg, of Fargo, Dak.; Mr. O'Neal's fourth child was Charles S. Mrs. O'Neal died in 1880. In this volume will be found a portrait of the worthy Charles W. O'Neal, the subject of this sketch. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]




BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails