Hancock County, Ohio
C. O. PARKER, son of Jonathan Parker, was born February 19, 1853, in this county, and was educated in the Findlay schools. He taught school two terms, and worked two years in the Jeffersonian office. He clerked for seven years for Charles Hall, in the restaurant business, and in 1880 opened his present excellent restaurant, where he is doing a fine business. He married, October 20, 1880, Louisa Kunz, and by her has one child. Myrtle R. Mr. Parker is a Republican in politics; a member of the K. of P. He and his estimable wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
JOHN PARKER, miller, proprietor of the Hancock Mills, Findlay, was born in Findlay, this county, January 31, 1842, son of Jonathan and Lucinda (Workman) Parker. Jonathan Parker was born near Martinsville, Va., and comes of pioneer stock in that State. When a lad he moved with his parents, to Morgan County, Ohio, and from there to Findlay, this county, in 1831. He was a carpenter by trade and took leading rank in that profession here, he with W. Taylor and A. Daughenbaugh building the first steam saw-mill in the county. The present Hancock Mills (originally a planning mill) were erected by him. The subject of this sketch, who became apprenticed to carriage-making here in early life, at the age of twenty-two went West, and spent two years profitably in Montana; returning here in 1865 he took up milling and has since been connected with that industry in Findlay. In 1884 he engaged with others in the importation direct of fine-bred draft horses (Norman and Percheron). He has been identified with the development of some important interests and industries here; has served with credit in the councils of Findlay. He is a worthy Mason, and has attained to the degree of Knight Templar, Shawnee Commandery, at Lima, Ohio. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
JONATHAN PARKER, deceased, was born in Loudoun County, Va., April 21, 1808. About the year 1813 his father crossed the mountains, on horseback, to Morgan County, Ohio, where he purchased land. He returned home, sold his property in Virginia and the following spring brought his family, consisting then of his wife and six children, and began anew the life of a pioneer in the green woods of Morgan County, Our subject remained at home until he was fifteen years of age, when he began learning the carpenter's trade, which he had mastered by the time he reached his majority. He then, with one suit of clothes and an extra shirt tied up in a cotton handkerchief, and 75 cents in money, started on a tramp in search of work. He received employment for two years in various places, from which he saved $200. In the summer of 1831 he became acquainted with Frederick Henderson, with whom he soon made arrangements to come to Findlay. On October 18, 1831, Frederick Henderson, wife and child, and Jonathan Parker, together with Henderson's brother, who was employed to move them, started for Blue Rock Township, Muskingum Co., Ohio, with four horses and an old wagon which broke down when they had journeyed some ten miles. This they replaced with another and came on to Upper Sandusky. From there they found the road very bad, and when at a place between the present site of Carey and the old Judge Brown farm, the "bottom fell out of the road," and they were obliged to solicit aid. By securing ox teams from the neighbors they were hauled to Peter George's, who lived at a place called "Old Ashery," where they remained overnight, sleeping in Mr. George's cabin, 14x14 feet. The river was too high to cross with team the next morning, so they hired Mr. George and an assistant to bring them in a canoe to Findlay. As the little dug-out floated slowly down the river Mr. Parker meditated on the gloomy aspect of the surroundings, and occasionally gazed upon log cabins, located long distances apart, and interrogated Mr. George with such queries as whether a stranger was likely to get lost in the woods - October 28, they landed above the old Brush Dam. The next morning they took pirogues and went back for their goods, and in the evening they moved into a log cabin located where the jail now stands. Mr. Parker's bedstead had but one post, the walls constituting the others, and the cord was lin bark. During the winter of 1832 Mr. Parker boarded with William Taylor at his inn, located near where Dr. Osterlen now lives. Jonathan Parker was married to Elizabeth Hamilton, resulting in one child, short-lived, and followed soon to its grave by the mother. Mr. Parker subsequently married Lucinda Workman, and was blessed with the following named children: Joseph, deceased; Albert and John; Mrs. Parker died May 15, 1844, and Mr. Parker was again married; this time, February 18, 1846, with Nancy A. Workman, a sister to his second wife, who has borne him three children: W. F., deceased; W. S. and C. O. For several years after coming to Findlay, Mr. Parker engaged at the carpenter's trade. He constructed the first steam-mill in the county and built and operated the saw-mill now owned by Mrs. Powell, and also erected a combined saw and grist-mill-the Hancock Mills, now the property of his son John. Jonathan Parker was an active Whig and a stanch Republican; he united with the Methodist Church in 1842, and lived a devoted Christian life. He was very popular as president of the Hancock County Pioneer Association, and being one of the best known men in this county, he was one of the most respected. He died September 27, 1879. Elsewhere will be found a portrait of this worthy pioneer. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
W. S. PARKER, son of Jonathan Parker, was born February 14, 1849, and educated in Findlay schools and Cleveland Commercial College. He married, February 14, 1872. Clara C., daughter of Miles W. Vance, and to them were born Mabel C., Percy P., Vance J. and Dean W. Mr. Parker began business for himself, in 1871, with his brother, John P., operating the old Parker Mills, from which he withdrew in January, 1883, and engaged with Shull & Fisher in the manufacture of doors, sash and blinds, and dealing in hard and soft lumber. He is also interested with his brother, Albert, in a herd of Holstein cattle, in Colorado. Mr. Parker is a member of the Masonic fraternity and is secretary in the lodge; is also a member of the Royal Arcanum; he is a member of the Findlay School Board; in politics an earnest Republican. He and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
JOSEPH S. PATTERSON, merchant, dealer in dry goods, carpeting and house furnishing goods, Findlay, O., was born in Bellefontaine, Logan Co., O., November 25, 1827; son of Robert and Eliza Patterson, the former of whom was born in Ballee, County Down, Ireland, January 6, 1789; he spent the greater part of his life in merchandising-was one of the originators of the old Mad River & Lake Erie Railroad, now the Indiana, Bloomington & Western, and was for many years a director, and the secretary and treasurer of that company; after a successful life in business and in his social relations he passed away in 1867, leaving four sons and four daughters. Our subject, Mr. J. S. Patterson, came to Findlay from his native town, Bellefontaine, in the spring of 1843, when still a boy in the sixteenth year of his age, and for some years and until he entered into a home of his own, made his home with his brother- in-law, Rev. R. H. Hollyday. He had been connected in business with John Ewing, John S. Van Eman, Frederic Henderson and Milton Taylor, with the last two as a partner in business. For many years Mr. Patterson has conducted a successful business, independent of any partnership until recently; now his two sons, Charles and Frank, are associated with him. In 1866 Mr. Patterson erected the imposing business block on the northwest corner of Main and Sandusky Streets, which he continues to occupy with his growing business. He has taken a leading part in the mercantile interests of Findlay, and is to-day the oldest merchant in active business in the place, and traces back a record of over forty-three years of successful business relations. In 1853 Mr. Patterson was united in marriage with Minerva, daughter of William Taylor, one of the earliest settlers in Findlay, a merchant, and a representative of Hancock County in the earlier period of its history in the State Legislature. Mr. Patterson united with the Presbyterian Church in Findlay in the spring of 1850, during a season of special religious interest; in 1866 he was elected and ordained a ruling elder in this church. He has served the church in this capacity for twenty years, during which time he has been called to represent the church in meetings of the Presbytery, and has served as a commissioner for the Presbytery in the General Assembly. He has been an active worker in the church, contributing liberally to its support at home, as well as to all its benevolent enterprises at large, and has given a liberal support to all measures tending to the development of the industrial and social interests of the community in which he has so long resided. In politics Mr. Patterson is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
J. F. PETERMAN, farmer and contractor, P. O. Findlay, was born in Holmes County, Ohio, December 20, 1832, son of John and Mary Ann (Jones) Peterman; latter was a native of Virginia, of English descent. John Peterman, who was born in Pennsylvania of Scotch and German descent, in early life was a stone-cutter, in later life a farmer. He came to this county in 1834 and settled in Jackson Township, where he died in 1862. Our subject, J. F. Peterman, the eldest in a family of ten children, was reared on the farm and attended the common school in Jackson Township, this county. He is the owner of a farm in Jackson Township, where he now resides. For several years past he has contracted for the construction of bridges and pikes, and while making that his principal business has also carried on farming. At the age of twenty-five years Mr. Peterman was united in marriage with Elenore, daughter of George Bower, a lady of German descent. Five children have blessed this union: Mary Ellen, Amanda, Sarah, William S. and Ida Blanche Maria, the eldest three being married. Mr. and Mrs. Peterman are members of the Baptist Church. He is a Republican in politics; has served nine years as school director in the district where he resides. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
JOHN PETERS, farmer, P. O. Arcadia, was born in Virginia February 5, 1829. His parents, natives of Virginia, came to Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1849, and from there to this county. They were parents often children: Ann (deceased wife of J. Laughlin), Catherine (deceased wife of Joseph Dillery), John, Abraham, Mary (wife of Seth Smith), Elizabeth (wife of George Taylor), David, Susan (wife of John Ribley), Midleton and Savina (both deceased). The subject of this sketch married, October 9, 1851, Cynthia McFadden, and to them were born eight children-- all living: Ambrose (married to Elizabeth Ewing), Christena J. (wife of John C. Thomas), Amos W. (married to Rosa Kamp), George W. (married to Lucy Kinsel), Ida, Abraham L., Alice and David. Mr. Peters is the owner of a fine farm of 156 acres of well improved land, situate in Section 5, Big Lick Township; in politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
EMANUEL PHIFER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, March 14, 1808, son of Jacob and Mary (Ellinger) Phifer, who came to Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1806, from Pennsylvania. Of their family of five children only two survive: Catherine, now Mrs. Guseman, residing in Lancaster, Ohio, and Emanuel, the subject of this sketch. The deceased are Maria Snyder, who died in Greene County, Ohio; John, who died in Lafayette, Ind.; and Eliza, wife of John Laughlin, Esq., and who died in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Emanuel Phifer learned the tanning business of his father, in Fairfield County, Ohio, which he followed till 1834, when he came to this county and entered eighty acres of land and cut the first tree felled on his farm. By dint of steady, persistent industry, Mr. Phifer accumulated property and now owns 290 acres of valuable land (no town property), besides having settled nice properties on his children. Mr. Phifer married, in Fairfield County, Ohio, Emily Bowling, who departed this life in 1875, leaving three sons and three daughters, all highly respected members of society: John S., a farmer in Wood County, Ohio; George W., an active farmer and stock raiser, in Findlay Township, this county; Edwin, residing in Findlay, Ohio; Sarah E. and Annie, the only surviving daughters, live at home and cheer our subject's fireside; Agnes (deceased wife of Richard Hawkins). She left two sons: Melville, now living with our subject, and Albert, residing with his uncle, George W. Phifer (our subject's son). The remaining grandchildren of Emanuel Phifer are Myrtie and Eugene Laverne, of John's family, and Farlan, Ebon and Faith, of Edwin's family. Emanuel Phifer is a public-spirited citizen and has always contributed to worthy enterprises. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
ALEXANDER PHILLIPS (deceased) was born in Harrison County, Ohio, August, 12, 1812, son of William Phillips, a prominent pioneer of Jefferson County, Ohio. Our subject married in Carrollton, Carroll Co., Ohio, September 1, 1835, Miss Catherine, daughter of Horace and Mary (Cunningham) Duvall, prominent pioneers of Carroll County, Ohio. Alexander Phillips came to this county in 1856. He reared a family of four sons and five daughters. Before coming to this county Mr. Phillips had carried on merchandising; here he was successfully engaged in farming and stock raising, accumulating a handsome competence which, upon his death, he left to his family. Mr. Phillips was an active church and temperance worker for many years. His clever business capacities and upright character made him a very acceptable official, and the people of this county elected him as their representative to the Legislative Assembly of Ohio. The fact that he was elected on the Republican ticket in a county largely Democratic, attests to his popularity with the people and to their appreciation of his worth. Hon. Alexander Phillips died September 22, 1876, during the session of the Legislature, and was buried in Maple Grove Cemetery with Masonic honors. The following resolutions of respect and condolence were passed by that branch of the Legislature of which he had been a member:
Resolved. That it is with unfeigned sorrow that we learn of the death of the Hon. Alexander Phillips, late a member of this House, suddenly cut down at his home at Findlay, Hancock County. Ohio, Friday, September 22, 1876.
Ruolved, That Mr. Phillips, by his quiet, unassuming manner, constancy in attendance upon the sessions of the House and close attention to its business, not only made friends of those associated with him but impressed all as an honest and faithful public servant.
Resolved, That the memory of such a. man is, to the House of which he was a member, to his constituents and the State of Ohio, a loss most serious, while to the family of which he was the loved and honored head, it is irreparable.
Resolved, That to the family of the deceased we hereby extend our sincere sympathy, trusting that the Author of all good will kindly remember its members in this hour of affliction.
Resolved, That these resolutions be spread upon the journal of the House and that the speaker be requested to transmit a certified copy thereof to the family of the deceased. C. H. Grosvenor, Speaker. Adopted January 34, 1877. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886 ]
ELI P. PHILLIPS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Mifflin County, Penn., June 16, 1821, to Charles and Elizabeth (Powell) Phillips, who removed to Eagle Township, this county, in 1833, and there reared one son and three daughters: Elizabeth (deceased); Catherine, wife of Peter Fetters; Rebecca (deceased) and Eli P. Our subject learned the plasterer's trade of his father and engaged in it for many years. He married Margaret, daughter of Henry and Levina (Searfoss) Folk, early settlers of Findlay Township, this county, and parents of the following named children: Susan, Harriet, Sarah, Elizabeth, Margaret, Henry and William. Mr. and Mrs. Phillips began, immediately after their marriage, improving their present farm which was then covered with timber. He cut cord-wood and rafted it down Eagle Creek to the old Eagle Mills and there sold it, at $1.25 per cord, to Benjamin Huber, who was then proprietor of the mills. Mr. and Mrs. Phillips have attended religious services when they were held at the homes of the pioneer families scattered over the country, and he has visited the Tiffin Mills for breadstuff. Mr. Phillips has not only improved many acres of land for .himself, but has also cleared away the forest for others; he has opened up, in all, about 500 acres, and has probably done about as much hard work as any man in this county, and with as little fatigue. In his latter years Mr. Phillips has given considerable attention to mechanism and inventions; he invented a neat and cheap wooden grocery-scoop which is very useful. He also has a simple stone base for fencing posts which is unquestionably the finest thing of the kind in use; every farmer should have this kind of fence; it saves half their timber in posts; only four-feet posts are needed. His latest invention is a patent gate hinge, a long-hoped-for necessity. Having somewhat retired from actual labor, Mr. Phillips spends a large share of his time in constructing fine picture frames, etc. His marriage gave him four children: Sarah J. and Henry, who died young; Simon (who married and has one son and one daughter, Clement and Alverda); William Nelson, who married Sara Weber (they have one son and three daughters, Clara M., Eva V., Charles L. and Nellie E.). Mr. and Mrs. Phillips attend worship at the Evangelical Church. He is a public-spirited man and contributes liberally to all measures for the public welfare of his locality. Elsewhere will be found a portrait of Mr. Phillips. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
SAMUEL R. PHILLIPS, farmer, P. O. Forest, Hardin County, born in Athens County, Ohio, July 30, 1815, is a son of Daniel and Abigail (Cady) Phillips, natives of Vermont and Connecticut, respectively, who resided for some years near Cooperstown, N. Y., and afterward moved to Pennsylvania; they came to Marietta, Ohio, in 1812, and finally settled in Ames Township, Athens Co., Ohio, in 1814, and there Daniel Phillips died in 1831; his father was a soldier under Gen. Washington in the war of the Revolution for seven years, and died in 1835. The mother of Daniel Phillips was present at the massacre at Wyoming. Samuel R. Phillips, the subject of this sketch, came to Delaware Township, this county, with his mother and an elder brother, Job, in the fall of 1835; his mother resided here until her death, which occurred in 1849, in her seventy sixth year. In August, 1836, he entered eighty acres of land, which he still owns; there is but one other man in Delaware Township, this county, who is living on land originally entered by himself from the Government. Mr. Phillips has added eighty acres of land to his original entry and now owns 160 acres of fine farming land. In 1842 he taught the first school in his district, teaching in all four terms. July 8, 1849, he married Miss Matilda Roby, who was born in Franklin County, Ohio, January 30, 1817, and came to Hardin County, Ohio, in 1888 with her parents, Josiah and Margaret (Elsey) Roby. To Samuel R. Phillips and wife were born three sons: David Isaac, Daniel Josiah (deceased) and Samuel Hanson. Our subject cast his first presidential vote for Henry Clay, and has supported the Whig and Republican parties ever since. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Phillips is a man of upright principles and strict integrity, greatly respected and esteemed by all who know him. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
WILLIAM T. PLATT, auditor of Hancock County, Findlay, was born at Cannon's Mill, Columbia Co., Ohio, March 19, 1853, son of George and Eve M. (Faulk) Platt, the former a native of Oldham, England. George Platt, a miller by occupation, came to America when a young man, and died at Findlay in 1867, leaving a family of three sons and five daughters as a care for his estimable widow, who deserves especial mention as a worthy woman, wife and mother, and who by dint of steady, persistent industry, reared and educated her children and has lived to see them occupying important positions in life. William T. Platt obtained a good common school education and, at the age of twenty, engaged in teaching. After spending two terms in the country he came to Findlay, where, after teaching in the B department of the grammar school he taught for four years in the A department. During this time he served for six years as a member of the board of school examiners of Hancock County (from 1876 to 1883), and as city clerk from 1878 to 1883. In the latter year he was elected to his present official position, which he has creditably filled since. He married, in Findlay, Arminda, daughter of Jacob and Susan (Weimer) Altman, pioneers of this county. They have one son and one daughter: Florence E. and Clarence E. Mr. and Mrs. Platt are members of the English Lutheran Church. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
IRA PLOTTS, merchant, Vanlue, born July 10, 1830, in Fairfield County, Ohio, is a son of Gershom and Mary (Plotner) Plotts, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Ohio in 1800. Gershom Plotts was one of the pioneers of Fairfield County and Hancock County, Ohio, and a soldier in the war of 1812, having enlisted in Fairfield County. He was three times married and was the father of ten children, eight of whom are still living: Hiram, Washington, Andrew J., John, William L., Ira, Oliver and Moses. In 1834 Ira Plotts, our subject, was brought to Hancock County with his parents, who settled in Amanda Township on Section 16, near Vanlue. Gershom Plotts remained in Amanda Township twenty years, and in 1854 he removed to Michigan, where he died. Ira Plotts went to Michigan with his parents, and in 1859 returned to Hancock County, Ohio, where he has since remained. He married, in 1854, Mary J., daughter of George Morehart, of Amanda Township, this county. To this union have been born ten children, five of whom are living: Ella, wife of S. C. Chesebro; Etta, wife of J. V. Rice; Augusta, wife of F. Cross; Alwilda J. and Sarah. In 1860 Mr. Plotts embarked in the grocery business, adding in 1863 the dry goods branch, and has been engaged in the grocery and dry goods business ever since. He has been a successful business man. He has served as justice of the peace six years. He has a farm near Vanlue, this county, on which he has passed a good portion of his time. In politics Mr. Plotts is a Democrat; a member of the I.O.O.F. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
T. S. PORTER, farmer and stock raiser, Findlay, was born in Liberty Township, this county, April 7, 1848, son of Amos, a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, of Scotch and German descent. Amos Porter, who in early life was a blacksmith, later became a farmer, and is now wealthy and influential, still residing in Liberty Township, this county. He is one of the pioneers of the county. His family consisted of ten children, five of whom are now living, our subject being the second. T. S. Porter was reared on the farm, received a common school education, and has made agriculture his occupation. In 1870 he was united in marriage with Miss Marietta, daughter of L. M. S. Miller; her parents were Pennsylvania-Dutch. This union has been blessed with four children: Lillie May, Delos D., Florene G. and Ralph R. Mr. and Mrs. Porter are members of the Evangelical Association, of the Sabbath-school of which he has been superintendent. In politics Mr. Porter is a Republican. He served for fifteen years as township clerk of Liberty Township. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
ANDREW POWELL, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born May 25, 1827, in Fairfield County, Ohio, came to this county with his parents, Samuel and Sarah Powell, in 1834, and was reared in Liberty Township, this county. He was united in marriage, December 20, 1848, with Phoebe Ann Yates, who died September 15, 1859, leaving six children: Mrs. Emily Dreisbach, Theodore, Franklin P., Mrs. Priscilla De Long of Tipton County, Ind., Elijah (deceased) and Roger Sherman. After the death of his first wife Mr. Powell became united in marriage, in 1860, with Caroline Dotson, who died in 1877, leaving seven children: Mrs. Sarah E. Hamlin, Ellsworth, Charles D., Sullivan, Huntington, Jennie June and Homer K. For his third wife Mr. Powell married, March 5, 1878, Sarah A. Longbrake, widow of Harmon Longbrake and daughter of Andrew Fellers. At the time of her marriage with our subject she had three children, Cora S., Minnie E. and Curtis E. By her union with Mr. Powell she has two children: Inez May and James G. Mr. Powell has been industrious and successful in life and owns a fine farm of 295 acres of as good land as there is in this county. His farm includes the family homestead and here he has erected a handsome brick residence and added other valuable improvements. He also owns 120 acres of land in Tipton County, Ind., and valuable town property in Findlay, Ohio. He- devotes a great deal of attention to the business of bee keeping, and was one of the earliest to introduce this industry into this county. He now has a fine, well-stocked apiary. Mr. Powell and family are members of the United Brethren Church. He has largely contributed to the erection of a fine church, costing over $5,000, called the "Powell Memorial Church," on his premises. Mr. Powell is a man of upright and firm principles, a valuable and prominent citizen, highly respected by the entire community. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
BEATMAN BEATTY POWELL, one of the leading farmers of Blanchard Township, P. O. Benton Ridge, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, May 14, 1833, son of Daniel and Eliza (Beatty) Powell, natives of Union and Lycoming Counties, Penn., respectively. The Powells come of a long and worthy line of Welsh pioneer ancestry in Pennsylvania. In 1803 Daniel Powell located in Fairfield County, Ohio. The subject of our sketch was reared there, and at the age of twenty-seven came to this county and took up land, clearing and improving a nice farm of eighty acres, to which he has since added nearly 300 acres, making a total of 370 acres of valuable land. He resides on Section 23, Blanchard Township. He married, in 1857, Elizabeth, daughter of John Whitehurst, of Fairfield County, Ohio, and they have a family of two sons and two daughters: Margaret Virginia, wife of Charles Heckerman, farmer, Blanchard Township, and America Belle, wife of John Kizbeth, also a farmer of Blanchard Township. His sons, Sherman Ellsworth and Henderson, are both of the same vocation as their father. Mr. Powell pays considerable attention to the rearing and breeding of fine bred cattle and hogs. He is a leading character in his locality, of a genial nature, open-hearted, frank and generous to a fault. He has oftentimes been selected by the people of his township and county to represent their interests in the councils of Blanchard Township and the county. He and his wife attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he is a liberal contributor. Mr. Powell has always done a leading share in the support of all measures tending to the welfare of his locality. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
D. M. POWELL, farmer and stock raiser, P O. Findlay, was born in Hancock County, Ohio, February 3, 1840, son of. Samuel Powell, a native of Pennsylvania, who was among the early settlers of this county. Samuel Powell settled in the wild woods and reared a family of thirteen children, the subject of this sketch being the ninth. D. M. Powell was reared on the farm, acquired his early education in the common schools and has made agriculture the business of his life. He has been successful and is now the owner of a first-class farm, comprising 236 acres of land in Liberty Township, this county, on which he resides. In 1866 Mr. Powell was united in marriage with Hannah, daughter of Jonas Hartman, and a native of Pennsylvania, of Dutch descent. They have one child, Fannie. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
GEORGE W. POWELL, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, January 11, 1826, son of Samuel and Sarah (Rabenalt) Powell, who settled in Liberty Township, this county, in 1834. He is one of a family of eight sons and five daughters, of whom five sons and three daughters survive. George W. Powell was born and raised on the farm, and from the age of twenty-one to twenty-eight occupied his time in the winter teaching school and the remainder of the year on the farm, and has been successfully connected with that industry in this county since. At the age of twenty-seven he married Mary Jane, daughter of Allen McCahan, Esq., and they have two sons and five daughters: Solon, Pearce (a teacher in Findlay, this county), Zela Jane, Alice Melissa, Florence Etna (wife of Charles N. Isham), Beecher Worth, Patience Eugenia and Mary Lucretia. The family attend worship at the church of the Evangelical Association. George W. Powell is a hard-working, industrious farmer, and has secured a handsome competency. He pays considerable attention to the rearing and breeding of fine stock, among which may be mentioned shorthorn cattle, merino sheep and Poland-China hogs. In public life he has held aloof from office-seeking; yet he has held township and county positions of trust. In politics he is a Prohibition Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
REV. JOHN POWELL, minister of the United Brethren Church, and author of the history of the Powell family, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1819, son of Philip and Elizabeth (Radebaugh) Powell, natives of Pennsylvania, of Welsh and German descent, respectively, the former of whom died in 1849. Of their family of fourteen children twelve grew to manhood and womanhood, and still survive, our subject being the eighth in the family. Rev. John Powell received his schooling in Fairfield County, Ohio, and has been a minister of the gospel since he was nineteen years of age. He traveled a circuit when he was twenty-one years of age, and has been an itinerant preacher for forty-five years. In 1878 he commenced compiling the work known as "The Powell History," completing the first volume in 1880; the second volume is now nearly ready for the press. Our subject is a successful farmer and at one time owned 600 acres of land. He still owns a farm in Blanchard Township, this county. In 1843 Rev. John Powell was united in marriage with Elizabeth" Trapp, daughter of Andrew and Elizabeth (Berkley) Trapp, of German descent. Our subject and wife have four children living: Mary K., wife of Elmer Harpst; Lydia A., wife of George W. Kinney; Ester J., wife of George Harpst, and John L., the last named being the only child of our subject now at home. John L. was born January 1, 1861; received his education in this county and is the owner of 100 acres of well improved land; he also works his father's farm, and deals in stock. He is remarkably successful as a farmer and trader; is also much interested in the breeding and rearing of horses. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
PETER H. POWELL, farmer and justice of the peace, P. O. Findlay, was born in Eagle Township, this county, July 17, 1838. His father, Phillip Powell, of Mifflin County, Penn., came to Fairfield County, Ohio, when nine years of age, and remained there until 1833, when he moved to this county and settled on a farm of 160 acres of land which his father had entered for him in Eagle Township. Here Phillip married, February 22, 1836, Miss Elizabeth Fellers, who died March 6, 1841, leaving three children : Joshua, of Liberty Township, this county; Peter H., the subject of this sketch, and Simon W., in California (he married, May 26, 1876, Miss Volarian Dolora Lovisa Cheenecoff, of St. Petersburg, Russia). Phillip Powell's second wife was Miss Susanna Tussing, to whom he was married April 15, 1842; she died October 25, 1857; she had one child - Moses - born February 19, 1851, and died March 2, 1851. Mr. Powell afterward married, in October, 1861, Mrs. Magdalene Meisel. Phillip Powell died August 29, 1866, leaving an honorable record as a faithful man and worthy pioneer citizen. The subject of this sketch married, March 24, 1861, Miss Catherine E. Cogley, daughter of Jacob Cogley, and they settled where they now reside, in August, 1867. Here they purchased the interest of the heirs, and now own the homestead place of 160 acres of well improved land. Their children are Jacob S., Alice Altona, Simon Joshua, Emma Virginia, Mary Elmina and Clemens Laurence. Mr. Powell is a life-long Democrat. He was called upon to serve his township as trustee, and soon after, in the fall of 1872, was elected justice of the peace, and was re-elected in 1875, 1878, 1881 and 1884. He also holds the position of treasurer of Eagle Township, this county. Judge Powell discharges all his duties faithfully and honestly, and to the entire satisfaction of the people. He and his wife are members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church; he is a member of the I.O.O.F. He is a man of strict integrity, progressive, public- spirited, a valuable citizen, highly respected by the entire community. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
SOLOMON POWELL, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, October 11, 1832, son of Samuel and Sarah Rabinalt Powell, who came to this county in 1834. When a lad he received the rudiments of an education in the primitive schools of his day, and while working on the farm he applied himself during his leisure hours to study, and at the age of twenty-one years taught school, which, in connection with his receipts for his farm work, enabled him to purchase property and embark in farming for himself. He has been successful, and now owns 240 acres of valuable land, well stocked. Mr. Powell married, in this county, Hannah Thomas, and by her he has one son and three daughters: Flory, wife of Harrison Foltz; Effie, wife of James Browneller; Junius and Tina (the latter two being at home). Our subject and wife are worthy members of the United Brethren Church, which he has served in an official capacity for several years. He has also served, with credit, on the school board of his district, and in other local official positions. Mr. Powell is a worthy citizen, a kind husband and father, and an exemplary business man. He has sought to encourage a higher and more progressive state of affairs in the social and industrial life of his community. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
HARMON PRATT (deceased) was born in Fairfield County, Ohio; came to Hancock County in 1836 and settled in the woods. He was the youngest of eight children and was reared on a farm. In 1854 he married Elizabeth E., daughter of Josiah Shawn. This union was blessed with twelve children; ten are now living, viz.: Leroy J., married to Permelia Woodard; Leander C.; Laura A.; Lorenzo D.; Violet R., wife of William Smith; Freddie S.; Etta Z.; Ann A.; Lucy D. and Oliver A. Mr. Pratt filled the office of trustee of Amanda Township, this county; was also school director. He was a member of the I.O.O.F. He died February 25, 1884, leaving a farm of 160 acres of the best of land. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
RICHARD PRESSNELL, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in the parish of Thurman, county of Kent, England, October 8, 1816, son of Richard and Ammy Riddle Pressnell, who were parents of fourteen children. Our subject came to America in 1850, and located in Bergen, N. Y. In 1853 he came to this county, where, by persistent industry, he has accumulated a handsome competence. He married, in the county of Kent, England, Miss Sarah Broomfield, and by her he had seventeen children, of whom two sons and five daughters died in youth; the survivors are Thomas, in Iowa; William, in Findlay, Ohio; Mary Ann, wife of Alfred Larking, in Iowa; Alice, wife of James Gibson, in Findlay, Ohio; Amy, wife of D. C. Wilson, in Findlay, Ohio; Richard F., in Findlay, Ohio; Susan, wife of Joseph Hollins, in Dakota; Sarah, wife of Oscar Mills, in Findlay, Ohio; Jane, wife of Andrew J. Smith, in Findlay, Ohio, and Stephen, at home. Our subject has twenty-eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren living. He began life in his adopted country with but little of this world's goods, and has earned a handsome competence. He contributes to all measures for the advancement of his locality. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
WILLIAM PRESSNELL, contractor and builder, and quarryman, Findlay, was born near Elsford, in the county of Kent, England, July 28, 1845; son of Richard and Sarah (Broomfield) Pressnell, who came to America in 1852, settled in this county in 1854, and reared a family of ten children. Our subject was reared to the building business (in stone work) in which he has been actively engaged since. During the war of the Rebellion he served two years in the Union Army. He married, in Findlay, in November, 1866, Mary Thomas, who bore him four children: Hardin T., Alice May, Richard and William I. Mr. Pressnell has always been a hard working man, and has succeeded in building up a handsome business for himself and accumulating a nice competence. He is liberal, and contributes to all worthy measures. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails