Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line


A. RADEBAUGH
, dealer in general merchandise, and wholesale and retail dealer in pictures, frames and moldings, Findlay, was born in Liberty Township, this county, November 19, 1857; son of John Radebaugh, Esq., a native of Ohio, of German descent. At the age of twenty-one our subject left the farm and traveled in the interest of commercial trade for two years; then embarked in business, in Findlay, Ohio, where he carries in his bazar of notions a fine trade. Mr. Radebaugh was married in Findlay, to Mollie, daughter of William Bowman, Esq., and to this marriage two sons were born: Harry H. and Clarence W. Mr. Radebaugh and family attend the services of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a worthy member of the I. O. O. F., and a member of the Findlay Improvement Company. In politics he is a Democrat. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


CHARLES RAMSEY, retired farmer, P. O. Dunkirk, Hardin County, was born in Montgomery County, Md., in 1804. He was declared free at the age of twenty-one by the will of his owner, but did not really obtain his freedom until he was thirty years old. Our subject ran a ferry boat twenty-five years on the Ohio River at Steubenville, and amassed a considerable sum of money. In 1853 he came to Delaware Township, this county, and began clearing up and farming 240 acres of land he had purchased in 1837; at one time he owned 520 acres of land. In 1868 his wife died. Of her ten children, three are now living: Mrs. Christyann L. Hawkins, Martha Jane and Emily L. In August, 1871, Charles Ramsey married, for his second wife, Mrs. Louisa Watson, who died of heart disease May 16, 1885, while visiting her daughter at Forest, Ohio. Mr. Ramsey now owns a fine farm of 240 acres of land in this county, besides having given liberally to his children. He also owns a comfortable house in Dunkirk, Hardin Co.,Ohio, to which he moved in 1882 and where he is living a somewhat retired life, enjoying the peace and quiet of a prosperous old age. His daughters are members of the United Brethren Church. He has been a church member since he was eleven years of age, and is now a member of the Wesleyan Church. When he was a little boy, on being reproved by a gentleman for swearing, Charles made the remark: "I throw it all in the fire," and he has never been known to swear since that time. He also formed his habit of saving while very young, by taking the timely advice of a friend. Charles Ramsey has been an industrious and energetic citizen and is very highly respected wherever known. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JAMES RAMSEY, retired farmer, P, O. Williamstown, was born June 1, 1805, in Montgomery County, Md. He left Maryland in 1835 and came to Steubenville, Ohio. He ferried and farmed for seven years. He purchased 100 acres of land in Delaware Township, this county, in 1839, which he paid for by working for 50 cents per day; he came out and took possession of his property in April, 1842. His sister, Eletha Ramsey, came here and resided with him until her death, which occurred April 18, 1884, in her eighty-third year. James Ramsey is an earnest member of the United Brethren Church. He has never taken upon himself the cares of the matrimonial relation, but his life has been devoted principally to the benefit of others. He is strictly a self-made man, and his record in this community is such that he is respected wherever he is known. In politics he is a life-long Republican. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WILLIAM RAMSEY, farmer P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, July 27,1820, son of Albert and Catherine (Herrod) Ramsey, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania respectively, and pioneers of Fairfield County, Ohio. They came to this county in 1833 and settled in Marion Township, where they entered and cleared land on which they lived for many years. This farm they sold before moving to Findlay, this county, where they passed the remainder of their lives. They were parents of eight children of whom five are now living: James, William, Daniel, Calistie, wife of Lewis Thomas, and Elizabeth, wife of Isaac Johnson. William Ramsey, the subject of this sketch, was twice married; first. June 4, 1846, to Louisa Saben, who bore him four children: George (deceased), Harriet (deceased). Ellen (deceased), and Catherine, wife of Zachariah Fetters, residing in Wells County, Ind. Mr. Ramsey's second marriage was with Caroline M. Thomas; they have no children born to them but have an adopted child, William H. Ramsey, whom they have reared since he was three years of age. The subject of this sketch removed to Indiana for a short time, but returned to this county and has lived for twenty years on his present farm, located on Blanchard River, in Marion Township. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


BASS RAWSON, M. D., Findlay, was born April 17, 1799, in the town of Orange, Franklin Co., Mass., son of Lemuel Rawson, a tanner, who carried on his trade in Warwick, Mass., until about 1812, when he devoted his attention to agriculture for a number of years. In 1836 he removed to Bath, Summit Co., Ohio, but subsequently died at the residence of his son, Dr. L. Q. Rawson, at Fremont, Ohio. Dr. Bass Rawson is one of five brothers who removed from Massachusetts at an early day, and settled in Ohio, four being physicians. He is a member of the sixth generation of the Rawson family, in direct descent from Edward Rawson, who left England in 1636, and became secretary of the Massachusetts Colony from 1650 to 1686. His mother, Sarah Rawson (whose maiden name was Barrows), of Warwick, Mass., was left an orphan at an early age. In his boyhood Dr. Rawson worked on a farm, and attended a country school. From the farm he went to learn the trade of hatter, which he worked at until he was about twenty years of age, but, his health somewhat failing him, he determined to relinquish it and engage in the study of medicine. To this end he entered an academy at New Salem, Mass., which he attended several terms. In the meantime he taught school for the purpose of earning money to defray the necessary expense of his education. At the age of twenty-five he married, and immigrated to Ravenna, Ohio, where he remained a few months. He then removed to Otsego County, N. Y., and located at Richfield. Here he again taught school. Previous to his leaving Massachusetts he had studied medicine for a few months, but on his return to the East he took up the study seriously, with the intention of qualifying himself as a physician, Dr. Thomas, of Richfield, becoming his preceptor. In the winter of 1826-27 he attended medical lectures at Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, and at the close of the collegiate term returned to his father's house at New Salem, and continued the reading of medicine with Dr. Brooks, of Orange. In June, 1828, he removed to Ohio, and practiced a little more than a year with his brother, Dr. Secretary Rawson, who resided in Medina County, Ohio. In September, 1829, he removed to Findlay, where he settled permanently in the practice of his profession. He was the first practicing physician that had arrived in the town, and was cordially welcomed by its inhabitants. The place had been but recently settled, and the first sale of lots occurred about a week after his arrival. Only twelve white families resided within its limits, the Indians being more numerous than the whites. Here the Doctor has practiced without cessation for over fifty years. Although he has virtually retired from actively following his profession, some of his old patients still desire his attendance upon them and his professional advice, consequently he visits and prescribes occasionally. Dr. Rawson for a long time enjoyed a large and successful practice, the result of which, together with judicious investments in real estate, is that he is in possession of a competency in his old age. He has been a member and supporter of the Presbyterian Church for more than fifty years. May 3, 1824, he was married to Amanda Blackmer, of Greenwich, Mass., who died in 1874, leaving an only daughter- Harriet E. Amanda-married to Dr. William D. Canlin, of Findlay, a surgeon in the army, and who died in the service of his country in 1862. Mrs. Canlin died in Findlay in 1870, leaving three children: Dr. Cass R., who was engaged in sheep raising in Montana, was accidentally shot and killed December 26, 1884, near his ranch; William L., residing in Findlay, member of the bar, and S. Amanda, married to C. T. Doudore, now living in Missouri. In politics Dr. Rawson is a Republican. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


WILLIAM REID, farmer, P. O. Wineland, was born in Perrysburgh, Wood Co., Ohio, son of Robert and Isabell (Forrester) Reid, natives of Scotland, and who came to America in 1835, settling in Perrysburgh, Wood Co., Ohio, where they died. They were the parents of nine children, of whom four are now living: Thomas, Robert, Isabell (wife of Dallas Anderson), and William. The subject of this sketch was married August 25, 1857, to Emily, second daughter of Jacob Shaffer. Her father came to this county in 1835 and settled in Cass Township, where he entered 240 acres of land. To our subject and wife have been born six children: Margaret (married to George B. Bowman), James, John, Ida, (deceased wife of Hosea Nelson), George (deceased), and Charles. Our subject was a soldier in the late war, having enlisted in Company F, Twenty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in August, 1862, and served until June 9, 1865, when he was discharged; he was in the Fourteenth Army Corps, under Gen. Rosecrans. Mr. Reid lost his health in the army and has never fully recovered from the effects. He is the owner of a fine farm of seventy-five acres of land (a part of the Shaffer farm) in Cass Township, this county. In politics he is a Republican. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


CONRAD RENNINGER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Cumberland County, Penn., May 22,1809; son of Conrad and Catherine (Switzer) Renninger, natives of Pennsylvania. In 1854 the subject of this sketch, having previously been connected with the commission and forwarding business in the East, came to this county, engaged in farming and improved 160 acres of land in Liberty Township. He had married in his native place Miss Christiana Atticks, who died in this county December 11, 1874, and is buried in Maple Grove Cemetery. Of their family William occupies the old farm in Liberty Township, this county, and has two sons and three daughters: Catherine, was married to William Lytle (she and her daughter are both deceased), Elizabeth died while young, Henry is a farmer (he has a son and a daughter), Jane, wife of Dr. T. G. Barnhill (they have one son, Samuel, who carries on the home farm and, by his marriage with Ada, daughter of August and Dora Polz Armbrecht, has one son and one daughter: Reginald and Carrie). August Ambrecht, a native of Berlin, Germany, died in Andersonville prison, Georgia, during the war of the Rebellion. Mrs. Ambrecht was a native of Hanover, Germany. The subject of this sketch has always held a modest position in public affairs, but has served with credit on the school board of his district, and on Findlay Township Board; was also infirmary director for three terms. He is public-spirited and progressive, and contributes liberally to all worthy projects. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


SAMUEL RENNINGER, capitalist, Findlay, was born in Cumberland County, Penn., May 14, 1816, son of Conrad and Catherine (Switzer) Renninger, natives of Pennsylvania. Our subject's grandfathers were Conrad Renninger, a native of Germany, and Frederick Switzer, a native of Switzerland. Samuel Renninger learned carpentering, but after following it four years he was compelled to abandon the trade for lighter work, and finally took up hotel keeping. In 1853 he came to Findlay, this county, and here kept hotel for several years. In 1873, upon the death of his wife, Mr. Renninger retired from business and has since given his attention to the collection of his rents, etc., etc. He has two children: John S., a prominent physician in Marshall, Minn., and Lillie, a lady of fine attainments, now residing with friends in Pennsylvania. Samuel Renninger is a clever business man and has succeeded in accumulating a handsome competence in the hotel business. He is liberal in his contributions to all worthy public enterprises, and gives with a willing hand. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ELIAS S. RIEGLE, farmer, P. O. Arlington, Ohio, was born in Wyandot County, Ohio, October 24, 1836, son of Philip and Catherine (Bibler) Riegle, who are present residents of this county. The father was born in Cumberland County, Penn., October 6, 1810, son of George and Catherine (Schambaugh) Riegle, both of whom were Pennsylvanians by birth; the former a son of Simon Riegle of that State. The subject of this sketch enlisted at Arlington, Ohio, in Company I, of Col. Birge's Independent Regiment of Sharpshooters. His company was organized by Capt. Daugherty, of this (Madison) township. This Independent Regiment was first assigned to the command of Gen. J. C. Fremont, afterward known as the Fourteenth Missouri, until the battle of Shiloh, after which, by the re-organization of the armies, it became the Sixty-sixth Illinois, and the subject of this sketch became a member of Company H, of that regiment. The regimental commanders were, first, Col. Birge of Missouri; second, Col. Burke of Missouri; third, Col. Campbell of Illinois; fourth, Col. Gambel of Illinois. The principal battles and skirmishes in which the Company was engaged are as follows : Mt. Zion, Mo.; Bunker Hill, Mo.; Ft. Donelson, Tenn.; Owl Creek, Tenn.; Peach Orchard, Miss.; Corinth. Miss.: Second battle of Corinth; Iuka, Miss.; Blackland, Miss. -. Jumpertown, Miss.; Hatchie River, Miss.; Booneville, Miss.; White Side Farm, Miss.; Snake Creek Gap, Ga.; Resaca, Ga.; Rome Cross Roads, Ga.; Dallas, Ga.; Lone Mountain, Ga.; New Hope, Ga.; Big Shanty, Ga.; Brush Mountain, Ga.; Little Kenesaw Mountain, Ga.; Kenesaw Mountain, Ga.; Nicojack Creek, Ga.; Peach Tree Creek, Ga.; Decatur, Ga.; Atlanta, Ga., 21-26 July; Bald Hill, Ga.; Howard House, Ga.; Utoy Creek, Ga.; Ezra Church, Ga.; Proctor's Creek, Ga.-two battles; siege of Atlanta Ga.-August 12-26,1864; Jonesboro, Ga.; skirmish near Savannah; capture of two Napoleon guns; capture of Savannah, Ga.; Rome, Ga.; capture of Columbia, S. C.; Fayettesville, N. C.; Goldsboro, N. C.; Bentonville, N. C. He was wounded, in the last week of December, 1863 (near Decatur, Ala.), near the left temple. At Dallas, Ga., in 1864, Capt. Boyd, with the support of the Thirty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, took the DeGrass battery, and Boyd had one of the guns double charged, which burst on being fired, Mr. Riegle being only fifteen or twenty feet distant from it at the time. During 1862 and a part of 1863, he was a secret scout. These scouts did much for the cause of the Union by way of destroying Confederate property to the value of millions of dollars, besides gaining much useful information and capturing rebel spies. One of the most noted of these was Sidney Johnson, Jr., who was captured near Blackland, Miss., and shot as a spy at Corinth, Miss., in 1862. Their principal field of operation was in the vicinity of Decatur, Athens, Huntsville and Florence, Ala. Mr. Riegle was during his term of service (four years), severely wounded several times, and participated in as many battles as any other man of the Regiment, in all about seventy-five battles and skirmishes. On the 22d of July, 1864, the Sixty-sixth Illinois Regiment, captured the DeGrass battery. The man who led- the charge was Capt. Boyd, of Company A, Sixty-sixth Illinois Regiment. Our subject had the honor of going through the final review at Washington. May the memory of this regiment ever live in the minds of the American people! The company of which Mr. Riegle was a member was mustered out in July, 1865. Our subject at time of discharge held the rank of corporal. Mr. Riegle is an honored member of Welker Post, G A. R., at Arlington, in which he has filled offices of distinction, and now holds the office of S. V. C. He was a delegate to the late National encampment at Portland, Me. ,in 1885, and is the delegate to the State encampment at Cleveland, Ohio He was united in marriage, August 29, 1865, with Miss Catherine Cramer, a daughter of Charles and Catherine (Price) Cramer, natives of Germany, and by her he has five children; JohnW. S. born July 29, 1866; Charles M., born February 25, 1869; Ettie V. and Nettie V., born September 15, 1872, and Huldah C. born November 1, 1878. Mr. Riegle and family are connected with the Methodist Protestant Church. In politics our subject is a stanch Republican. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


S. G. ROBINSON, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. McComb, was born in Erie County, N. Y., May 29, 1839, son of B. E. and Sarah (Gail) Robinson, the former a farmer and a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, of Irish descent; the latter a native of Erie County, N. Y., of English descent. Of their six children five are still living, the subject of this sketch being the eldest. S. G. Robinson was reared on the farm in Erie County, N. Y., until seven years of age; next lived on a farm in Franklin County, Ohio, until he was twenty years old; then came to this county, where he has since continued to reside. He walked the entire distance from Franklin County, Ohio, to this county, and when he arrived here he was a poor boy with only one suit of clothes and no money, but he was willing to labor. He worked out at 50 cents per day, clearing land and chopping wood; also worked by the month until he was able to buy eighty acres of wild land, which he cleared, and on which he still resides. In 1859 Mr. Robinson was united in marriage with Mary, daughter of Enoch Haddox, a native of Virginia. Five children blessed this union: Edgar, Estella, Ida, Samuel and Everett. Mrs. Robinson departed this life in 1875; she was a member of the Methodist Church. S. G. Robinson is at present the owner of 200 acres of well improved land. In polities he is a Republican. He was a delegate to the first Republican convention, in 1856. He has been school director for twelve years, and in 1884 was elected justice of the peace. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


HERMAN ROGGE, grocer, Findlay, was born in Alberfeldt, Prussia, September 18, 1837, son of Ferdinand and Wilhelmina (Feting) Rogge, the former of whom died in 1862. Mrs. Rogge and a son reside in the old country. The subject of this sketch learned the manufacturing of chemicals in his native country, and upon attaining his majority entered the Prussian Army, with which he was connected for thirteen years, passing all through the Franco-Prussian war. Being wounded at the battle of Sedan his physicians advised his making a trip to America, and having a sister living in Findlay, Ohio, hither he came in 1872, the advantages of business proving the magnet which has held him in this place since. Mr. Rogge was married, in Findlay, to Caroline Hahn, who died in 1881, leaving one son and one daughter: William and Mena. Mr. Rogge's second marriage was with Katie, daughter of Christopher Follweiler, Esq., of Liberty Township, this county, a native of Baden, Germany, and by this marriage there are one son and one daughter: Nellie and Herman. Our subject and wife attend the German Reformed Church. He is an active member of the Harmonia Society and is its present secretary. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


MICHAEL ROLLER, farmer, P. O. Arcadia, was born March 2, 1822, in Columbiana County, Ohio, son of William and Nancy (Teeters) Roller, natives of Pennsylvania, and who came to Ohio in an early day, former of whom was an associate judge of the courts for some years. In the fall of 1833 William Roller and his son-in-law, John Moore, came to Big Lick Township, this county, and cut the timber and built a cabin on a farm in Section 15, and in 1834 brought out their families, and here William Roller and his wife passed the remainder of their days. They were parents of following named children: Mary (widow of Moses McAnelly), Agnes (wife of John Moore), Wilson (deceased), Susan (wife of John Darrah), Michael, George W., Lucinda (wife of George Hemming) and Charlotte (deceased wife of Hugh Matherson). William Roller entered two tracts of land consisting of eight quarter sections, making a farm for each one of his children. The subject of this sketch received his early education in Richland County, Ohio, where his father resided for twelve years prior to coming to this county. In August, 1846, he married Elizabeth, daughter of James Swindler, and to them were born nine children-eight of whom are yet living: William, Sarah (wife of Allen Spahr), Lucinda (deceased), Mary A. , Philena (wife of J. Huffman), George, Ida (wife of Samuel Taylor), Henry and Lorena. Michael Roller is still living on the land originally entered by his father, and which is now well improved. He served as township trustee for several terms, and is a man much respected by his friends. He and family are connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


AARON F. BURSON ROSE, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, was born August 13, 1841, in Delaware Township, this county. His parents, John and Margaret (Berry) Rose, natives of Maryland and Virginia, respectively, and early settlers of Fairfield County, Ohio, located in Delaware Township, this county, in 1828, the former having previously entered a farm, in 1823, on Blanchard River, and this farm they then began to clear and improve. John Rose was. a strong Whig, afterward a Republican; he was one of the early commissioners of this county, and for seventeen years he was treasurer of Delaware Township, this county; a man of wonderful energy and strength of character, he exerted a powerful influence over those with whom he associated; he was very firm in his temperance principles, which he exemplified by practice as well as precept. His wife died January 6, 1863 and he followed her March 21, 1883, in his ninetieth year. They were parents of the following named children: Joel B., deceased, at the age of twenty-three years; James G., in Michigan; Mrs. Elizabeth Hall, in Carroll County, Mo.; Elias Y., in Howard County, Wis.; John A., in Carroll County, Mo.; Mrs. Sarah Eairleywine, deceased, at age of thirty-three years; Amos H., in Carroll County, Mo.; Mrs. Amanda Elder, in Pike County, Mo.; two who died in infancy, and Aaron F. Burson. The subject of this sketch enlisted September 1, 1862, in the One Hundred and Eighteenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving in the Army of the Cumberland and taking part in many of the memorable engagements throughout Tennessee, Georgia and vicinity. He received his discharge August 8, 1865, leaving an honorable record as a brave and faithful soldier, and on returning home he married, December 7, 1865, Miss Mary A. Roller. Our subject and wife now own and occupy the old homestead farm of 167 acres of well improved land; this farm has never been out of the Rose family's possession since it was first entered. Mr. and Mrs. Rose have eight children: John M., Elmer W. Hettie J., William R., Samuel E., Arthur K., Perry B. and Maggie E. Our subject is an enthusiastic Republican and takes a deep interest in public affairs. He is at present trustee of Delaware Township, a position he has filled for three years. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


J. B. ROTHCHILD, wholesale dealer in liquors, Findlay, was born in Milhausen, Kingdom of Bavaria, August 6, 1832; son of Benjamin and Caroline (Kurtz) Rothchild. Our subject learned hat and cap making in his native land, and when but sixteen years old came to this country and to West Union, Ohio (where a sister, Mrs. Mary Oakes lived), and here spent a few years learning the habits and customs of his adopted country. He then worked at the tailoring business in Cincinnati and later commenced the clothing business at Bucyrus, Ohio. In 1853 he came to Findlay, this county, and opened a clothing store but soon after went to Janesville, Wis., where he remained till 1857, when he returned here. Upon the breaking out of the Rebellion he retired from the clothing business and accepted the postmastership of Findlay, which he filled from 1861 to 1867; retiring from this he engaged in merchandising. In 1870 he was appointed collector of internal revenue for the Fifth Ohio District, which position he held till 1875 when it was consolidated with the Fourth. He then, in 1877, received the appointment of special agent of the Treasury Department and traveled through the Southern States; this he resigned in 1878 and the following year embarked in his present business. He married, in 1854, Margaret, daughter of Samuel Jones, of Bucyrus, Ohio. They have three daughters and one son living: Fannie; Jennie, wife of Charles J. Stern, a wholesale jeweler of Cincinnati, Ohio; Emma and Wilbur. Mr. Rothchild, although oftentimes requested, has always held aloof from allowing his name to be used as a candidate for any civic or county office. In politics he is an Independent. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JAMES RUCKMAN, farmer, P. O. West Independence, was born in Hampshire County, Va. (now West Virginia), November 7, 1807, son of John and Jane (Slack) Ruckman, natives of New Jersey, and who moved to Virginia at an early day. Of their four children, three are now living: Samuel, Martha and James. Our subject acquired his early education in West Virginia, and came to Ohio November 30, 1830, traveling across the mountains to Brownsville, and from there by boat to Pittsburgh, thence down to Columbiana County, Ohio, where he remained for eight years, farming. He was married, May 3, 1832, to Hannah, daughter of John and Catherine (Coy) Huffman, and to them were born eight children: Samuel, John, Catherine (wife of W. Henderson), Mary J. (deceased wife of Thomas Lake), Jacob, Martha (wife of William Boiler), Madison (deceased) and William (deceased). Mr. Ruckman came to this county in 1838, and bought land which had been entered by his father-in-law, in the northwest quarter of Section 10, Big Lick Township. To this he added fifty-three acres, and here he has since resided. Coming here when this part of the country was new, Mr. Ruckman and family have been closely identified with its growth and improvement. All of his surviving children are married except Jacob, who still resides with his parents, and has charge of the farm, which is a fine tract of land, with good buildings and other improvements. Our subject has served as justice of the peace and township trustee, and was township treasurer for six years. He has been a successful farmer, and is now enjoying the fruits of years of industry. In politics he is a Democrat. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]





BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails