Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line


SAMUEL SAGER, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, August 18, 1815, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Freed) Sager, natives of Rockingham County, Va., and of German descent. Our subject' B father, who was a farmer, reared a family of sixteen children, Samuel being the third. Our subject was reared on the farm, and attended school in the log schoolhouse of that day. He first came to this county in 1837, when the country was new and inhabited by Indians. It took several days to come from Kenton, Hardin Co., Ohio, to Liberty Township, this county. He was unable to procure food along the route and head to subsist on what little he could carry with him. He was without money, but with strong arms and a willingness to work he proceeded to deaden thirty acres of timber, on the farm where he now resides, and the following spring he moved here. His farm comprises 160 acres of good land, and he has lived to see the wild forest converted into fertile farms. Samuel Sager was united in marriage in 1837 with Margaret Whistleman, a native of Virginia, and of German and English descent. Their children are John, born in Liberty Township, this county, December 22, 1839 (he is a plumber by trade, and resides in Findlay, Ohio; he was twice married, first to Eliza Cramer, by whom he had one child- Emmie -wife of Thomas Fleck (they have four children-Freddie, Guy, Gail and Baby), then to Lizzie, daughter of Aaron Baker, and three children have been born to them, Ida, Dora, Dell and Dennis); Samuel A. a farmer, married to Mary Jane, daughter of Daniel Fisher (have two children, William Amron and Edith Roy; live in Findlay); George, a farmer, married to Diana, daughter of Aaron Baker (have four children: Ora, May Hester, Joseph and Emra); Lewis, a farmer, was married twice, first to Mary Ann, daughter of Michael Bolton, and by her had one child- May- then to Emma, daughter of Isaac Fellers (have one child, Mabel); Milton, a farmer, married to Etta, daughter of Henry Croninger (have three children Royce, Birdie and Squire); Nancy, wife of Ellis Sperno (have three children. Alice, Netta and Samuel); Mary Ellen, wife of Milton Provenmier (have four children: Martha, Jane, Lewis and Addie); and Mggie (sic), wife of Manuel Deeds (have three children: Zettie, May, Emmit and Herman. Milton and Nancy are twins. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


CONRAD SCHMIDT (deceased) was a native of Wurtemburg, Germany, born in 1791. He married Miss Magdalena Otterbach, and they came to America with a family of seven children, in 1834, landing in Baltimore, Md. They hired a team to take them to Pittsburgh, and there hired another team to bring them out to Holmes County, Ohio. After living in that county four years they settled permanently in Eagle Township, this county, September 16 (Sunday), 1838, on land which our subject had entered in 1834. Mr. Schmidt had to open out the Lima road about one mile, to extend it to his residence. After living a long and useful life, Mr. Schmidt died in 1864, aged seventy-three years. Mrs. Schmidt died in 1865, aged seventy-five years. Their children were Mrs. Louisa Bauer, who died in Philadelphia, Penn.; John; Mrs. Catharina Doll, of Stockton, Cal.; Mrs. Rosa Ann Cogley; Christian; Michael and Mrs. Magdalena Fellers. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN SCHOONOVER, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, March 8, 1827, son of Abraham and Margaret (Baker) Schoonover, natives of Virginia and Maryland, respectively, and of Dutch descent. Abraham Schoonover, who was a farmer, came to Ohio in 1831, and settled on a farm north of Findlay, this county. He reared a family of six children, three of whom are now living, John being the third in the family. The subject of this sketch was reared on the farm and chose the occupation of agriculturist. He has been successful in life, and now owns 199 acres of well-improved land, where he at present resides. He married, in 1851, Mary Comer, a daughter of Isaac and Hannah (Berton) Comer, natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively, and of German descent. Isaac Comer, who was a farmer, came to this county in 1832, and settled on a farm, now owned by Jacob Wagner, located west of Findlay. He reared a family of eleven children, eight of whom are now living, Mrs. Schoonover being the sixth in the family. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Schoonover now living are Suffronia, wife of V. Powell; Samilda, wife of Fred Brobst; A. P., book-keeper in Findlay; William Lawrence; Harvey and Clara. Our subject and wife are members of the United Brethren Church, of which he is a trustee. In politics Mr. Schoonover is a Republican. He has been school director for several terms, and township treasurer for twenty-eight years. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


HENRY SCHWARTZ, retired grocer, Findlay, was born in Bavaria, Germany, August 8, 1818, son of Jacob and Margaret (Winters) Schwartz, who died there in 1848, leaving three sons and two daughters. Our subject learned merchant tailoring in his native land. In 1840 he came to America, and after spending some time in business in Massilon and Magnolia, Stark County, Ohio, came to Findlay in 1855, and embarked in the grocery business, which he successfully carried on for many years, retiring from it in 1877 and turning it over to his son, Edward. He married in Stark County, Ohio, in 1844, Margaret Gribble, who was born near his native town and who came to America in 1833, with her people, who settled in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Schwartz have a family of three sons and three daughters: Phebe, wife of William B. Richards (Miller) of Allen County, Ohio; Caroline, wife of D. T. Winders, of the firm of Schwartz & Winders, grocers, Findlay; Edward, Grocer, Findlay, married October 25, 1881, to Miss Olivia Huffman; Charles, a grocer in Wauseon, Ohio; and Frank and Hattie at home. The family attend the services of the Lutheran church of which Mr. Schwartz is a liberal supporter. He has held responsible positions in his municipality. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ANDREW SHAFER, farmer, P. O. Wineland, was born in Cass Township, this county, in June, 1839, son of Jacob and Elizabeth Shafer; the latter, whose maiden name was Jack, was the Widow Kensinger prior to her marriage with our subject's father. Jacob and Elizabeth Shafer were the parents of four children: Eliza J., wife of Thomas Ford; Emily, wife of William Reid; Sarah, wife of Owen Laney, and Andrew. The subject of this sketch resides on the farm where he was born, and which is a part of a 240-acre tract of land entered by his father on coming to this county in 1834-35. Mr. Shafer is a thorough farmer and has made many improvements on the place since his father's death. He was united in marriage in April, 1864, with Rebecca Crow, who died, leaving one child, Harriet Rebecca, now the wife or Jacob Hill. After the death of his first wife our subject was married again; this time, in 1869, to Sabilla Lanning, and by her he has six children: Martha Jane, Mary E., Jacob H., John, Augusta and Charles. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


W. S. SHAFER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. McComb, was born in Stark County, Ohio, October 20, 1820, son of John and Mary (Putnam) Shafer, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. The father of our subject, who was a farmer, came to Allen Township, this county, about 1834, and took up land from the Government; he died in 1849. Of his family of eleven children eight grew to maturity, the subject of this sketch being the ninth child. W. S. Shafer was reared on the farm until he was seventeen years of age, and worked three years at the tailor's trade. In 1854 he was united in marriage with Jane Shaw, daughter of George Shaw, who was of Scotch and English descent, and was among the first settlers of this county, coming here in 1827 or 1828. His family consisted of eight children, Mrs. Shafer being the only one now residing in this county. Our subject and wife are the parents of eight children: Linus S., married, a farmer; L. W., farmer; Homer W., at home; Mary J. wife of B. Vandoren; Charles O., at home; Bessie May, at home, and Frank I. and Dellia C. (twins). Mr. Shafer is a member of the United Brethren Church. He has never had a lawsuit in his life; he is the owner of 180 acres of land, and has served for many years as school director. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


HENRY SHANK, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fayette County, Penn., September 11, 1807, son of Jacob and Nancy (Stauffer) Shank, natives of Maryland and Pennsylvania, respectively. In 1834 Henry Shank moved West, and after spending eighteen years in Allen and Putnam Counties, Ohio, he came to this county, where he has since been successfully connected with his present industry. Mr. Shank was united in marriage, October 10, 1828, with Emily Fleming, who died in Allen County, Ohio, leaving nine children. Mr. Shank's second marriage was February 1, 1849, with Maria Coughenour, who bore him eleven children, the result of both unions being nine sons and eleven daughters, of whom one son and two daughters died in infancy, and three daughters died after reaching maturity. Mr. Shank is a worthy member of the Disciples Church. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


REV. LYMAN SHARP, minister of the United Brethren Church, P. O. Findlay, was born in Eagle Township, this county, February 7, 1836. His father, Jacob Sharp, a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, of Welsh descent, came with John D. Bishop to this county, about 1832, and entered 160 acres of land in Section 23, Eagle Township; he was a blacksmith by trade, and carried on a shop in that line on his farm for many years; in 1835 he married Miss Julia Ann Whitman, a native of Orleans County, N. Y., an only child. When Mrs. Sharp was an infant her mother died, and, her father being killed by the explosion of a cannon at Albion, N. Y., she was reared by her uncle, Benjamin O. Whitman, with whom she came to this county. Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Sharp lived on their farm in Eagle Township, this county, until her death from cholera, in 1854. Jacob Sharp afterward married again, and after living about seven years in Hardin County, Ohio, he moved to Whitley County, Ind., and in 1867 to Clinton County, Mich., where he died July 5, 1871, in his sixty-third year. The subject of this sketch was reared on his father's farm, in Eagle Township, this county, and attended the schools of the home district, also one term in the Findlay school. He joined the United Brethren Church May 20, 1855. During his youth he was engaged in teaching; he taught for three terms in Eagle Township, this county, and two terms in Allen County, Ind. Mr. Sharp was united in marriage, October 16, 1851), with Miss Polly A. Line, who was born June 6, 1837, in Eagle Township, this county, daughter of the pioneer, Coonrad Line. Immediately after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Sharp settled where they now reside, in Eagle Township, this county, where they have a fine farm of eighty acres of well improved land. To Mr. and Mrs. Sharp have been born five children: Mrs. Catharine E. Reider, of Bowling Green, Ohio; J. C. Fremont; Matilda Jane; William Milton and Florence Luella. Mr. Sharp has been a devoted member of the church of his choice (United Brethren), and in 1859 he was licensed as an exhorter. In 1870 the quarterly conference gave him a license to preach, and in 1875 he was licensed by the annual conference, since which time he has been regularly engaged in the work of the ministry. He has filled the following circuits: Bellmore, two years; Bluffton, two years; Vanlue, one year; Blanchard, one year; Eden two years, and is now completing his second year on the West Independence Circuit. Mr. Sharp is very earnest in the cause of the gospel, devoting to it the best energies of his life. His wife and all his children, except the youngest, are members of the church. Our subject is a life-long Republican; has held the office of clerk of Eagle Township for one term, and takes a deep interest in public affairs. From May 2 to September 2, 1864, he served as a soldier in the One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Regiment, Ohio National Guards. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


O. P. SHAW, farmer and stock raiser, P. O., Findlay, was born in Blanchard Township, this county, October 1, 1844, son of George (Jr.) and Elizabeth (Wise) Shaw, the former a native of Stark County, Ohio, of German descent, and the latter a native of Germany. George Shaw, Jr., the father of our subject, and who was a farmer, came to this county with his father (who was one of the first settlers of this county) in 1825; he reared a family of seven children, our subject being the third. O. P. Shaw was roared on the farm. In 1851 he enlisted in Company H Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and became a non-commissioned officer: he was wounded twice, the first time being at the battle of Chickamauga; in 1852, while guarding a wagon train in Kentucky, he was taken prisoner; in 1854 he received an honorable discharge from the service. In 1866 Mr. Shaw was united in marriage with Mary J. Downing and their union has been blessed with eight children; Olive, Maretta, Ethel, David, Vina, George, Jane and Dorothy. Mrs. Shaw's parents were among the early settlers of Blanchard Township, this county. Mr. Shaw is the owner of a farm of 193 acres of land in Liberty Township, this county; he has served as township trustee; became a member of the Masonic fraternity in 1867, in Benton Ridge. Those of the family having a church membership are connected with the Presbyterian Church. Politically our subject is a Republican, and will vote for James G. Blaine in 1888. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


DANIEL SHEETS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O., Findlay, was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., September 14, 1850, son of Michael and Sarah (Dillinger) Sheets, who settled in this county in 1853. Our subject's father was a soldier in Company A, Twenty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and did active service until captured by the enemy. He died in Andersonville prison, Georgia, in 1865, leaving two sons and two daughters: Daniel, the eldest; Charlotte, wife of James Mason; Elias, a baker, and Mary, wife of Henry Umbrick; all residents of Findlay Township, this county. Daniel Sheets was reared on a farm, and has been connected with agriculture all his life. He also pays considerable attention to dealing in fat cattle. He was married in Findlay, Ohio, to Sarah A., daughter of John and Sarah (Light) Stover, and by her has one son and two daughters: Myrtle L., Harry E. and Inez. In 1879 Mrs. Sheets died, and was buried in the Findlay Cemetery. Mr. Sheets is a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he is a liberal contributor. He is a member of the K. of P. society. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


DAVID SHERICK, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, February 11, 1831, son of Peter and Barbara (Fink) Sherick, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. Peter Sherick, who was a farmer, came to this county in 1852; he settled in Liberty Township and cleared up the farm where our subject now resides; he is now on a farm in Findlay Township, this county; his family consisted of eight children, five of whom grew to maturity, the subject of this sketch being the fifth. David Sherick was reared on the farm, attended the common school and chose agriculture as his vocation in life. He has been successful, and is the owner of 208 acres of well improved land in Liberty Township, this county. In 1854 our subject united in marriage with Miss Catherine Heck, daughter of George Heck and of German descent, born in Pennsylvania. To Mr. and Mrs. Sherick have been born the following named children: Peter; Barbara, wife of T. C. Boyd; Martha, wife of R. M. Poe; Irine; Emma; John and Maud. Mr. and Mrs. Sherick are members of the Church of God, in which he was elder for several years. In politics he is a Republican. He has been trustee of Liberty Township, this county, and school director for six years in succession. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN H. SHULL, manufacturer, Findlay, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, February 13, 1841, son of Benjamin and Christenia (Kitsmiller) Shull, natives of Franklin County, Ohio. Solomon Shull, father of Benjamin Shull, served in the war of 1812 in Ohio, and remained here after its termination. He was a native of Northumberland County, Penn., the father of nineteen children by two marriages. Benjamin Shull (father of our subject) came to this county in 1845, and located on a farm in Amanda Township. John H. Shull learned carpentering at the age of eighteen, which he followed for eleven years, erecting several important buildings in Findlay and vicinity. Bell C. Shull was born in Albany County, N. Y., August 28, 1842, daughter of Joel and Hannah (Dunbar) Cheselrough, both natives of the State of New York. Beriah, father of Joel Cheselrough, came to the State of Ohio in 1840, and Joel Cheselrough some years later, and located on a farm in Ridge Township, Wyandot County. Bell Cheselrough acquired an education by which she was granted certificates in Wyandot, Hancock and Seneca Counties to teach school at the age of sixteen, and followed teaching (and went to school at intervals) for seven years. December 21, 1865, John H. Shull and Bell Cheselrough were married, agreeing to make their interests one and equal, which has continued to the present. John H. Shull entered into partnership with D. C. Fisher and C. E. Seymour in the planing-mill and lumber business in 1870, in which he has been successful and the principal in the manufacturing department. January 1, 1880, he decided to manufacture on an extensive scale his Champion Ironing Table, an invention he has perfected, and which is finding a ready sale, and gives employment at present to ten men, besides several salesmen. John H. and Bell C. Shull have had four children-two promising daughters living: Ella R. and Metta. They are all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Shull has been an official in the church; also is a member of the school board. In politics Mr. and Mrs. Shull have always been Democratic, and they believe in the theory of a government by the whole people-woman as much as man. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOSEPH SHULL was born September 15, 1815, in Franklin County, Ohio. He was married in that county in 1839 to Mary Huber, a native of Fairfield County, Ohio; born October 6, 1821. They settled in Franklin County, where they remained eight years, then moved to this county, where they have since resided. They were the parents of nine children: Francis, Saralum, Clarissa, Amanda, Isabelle, Lewis, Catharine, Lenella, and Emery, all deceased except Francis, Amanda, and Isabelle. Clarissa was married February 15, 1864, to Philip, son of William Shuck, and died June 17, 1871, leaving two children: Sherman and Dora. Catharine married December 12. 1874, Henry, son of Stephen Lee, and died November 4, 1882, leaving one child, Roger. Francis married, December 14, 1873, Naomi, daughter of David Morehart, and they have two children: Joseph and Emma. Joseph Shull is a member of the Reformed Church, his wife of the Presbyterian Church. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JACOB SIDDALL, farmer, P. O. Mount Blanchard, born January 11, 1836, in Mahoning County, Ohio, is a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Slamaker) Siddall, who came to this county in 1848 and settled in Amanda Township, where they purchased land of John Claver. Joseph Siddall, who was a farmer, roared his sons to agricultural pursuits. His children were William W., Abraham, Jacob, Nancy (wife of Washington Myers) and Lucinda (latter deceased). Jacob Siddall was educated in Hancock County, and married, in 1867, Amanda, daughter of John Misamore, one of the pioneers of this county, who is still living. To this union have been born the following named children: Elizabeth, Lydia, Zilla J., J. D. and Forrest (latter deceased). Mrs. Siddall is fourth in a family of eighteen children. Mr. Siddall has 165 acres of fine land on the Blanchard River bottoms, which was his father's old home farm. He is an energetic man and one of the leading farmers of Amanda Township. He devotes considerable attention to sheep raising. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


CHARLES F. SMITH - The career of this gentleman, now manager of an important traction system at Findlay, is both interesting and instructive, inasmuch as it is typically American, and illustrates a distinctive phase of our national life. Students of our great transportation systems, to which the United States owes more for its rapid development than any other cause, are always struck with the fact that its great captains and ruling spirits almost invariably rise from the "bottom of the ladder" up through the various grades until they reach the top. When this pinnacle has been reached its duties are discharged with a capacity usually measured by the thoroughness of the educational process undergone in attaining it, and generally the one who has been faithful in small things is rewarded by being placed in charge of the larger affairs. In the case under consideration, it may be mentioned in passing that Mr. Smith acquired his first taste as well as his first knowledge of transportation by electric propulsion while serving as an office-boy for one of the Cincinnati inclined plane railways. When the opportunity and the man meet and the man has the qualities in him to take advantage of the opportunity, the result follows as a matter of course, and what pessimistic fault-finders are in the habit of denouncing as "special privilege" or "favoritism" is really nothing more than the bright boy or man proving himself equal to the occasion which is constantly presenting itself to the deserving in this country of unequaled opportunities. Though of German extraction this branch of the Smith family has long been thoroughly acclimated by naturalization upon American soil. John C. Smith, father of our subject, came over in infancy with his parents, who located at Cincinnati, and there passed the remainder of their lives. After reaching manhood he became a mechanic, served through the Civil war in one of the Ohio regiments of infantry, and died in Cincinnati in 1893, aged fifty-three years. Charles F. Smith was born at Cincinnati, November 6, 1863, and got such academical education as he was destined to receive in the schools of that city. But he was one of those boys who do not need much "schooling" of the ordinary kind, they having a way of their own for learning those things which are calculated to be most useful and valuable. When the youthful Smith had reached his fourteenth year he secured a position as office-boy with the Mt. Adams and Eden Park Inclined Plane Railway Company, and stuck closely to his position for the next ten years. He became assistant superintendent of the company, in which position he continued until he came to Findlay, in September, 1887. Without unnecessary delay he purchased the material and superintended the building of the Findlay Street Railway, with a single trackage of eight miles at first, which has since been more than doubled. Mr. Smith continued as manager of the street railway until its absorption by the Toledo, Bowling Green & Southern Traction Company, after which he was made manager of the latter and has since retained that position. Inasmuch as he has gone through every department he understands the business from the ground up, and consequently makes an invaluable employe both for his company and the people. But his activities have not been confined to one line of work. In 1892 he became one of the organizers of the Hancock Light and Power Company, of which he was president for three years, and after the reorganization in 1895 he held the vice-presidency until the company was absorbed by the Findlay Street Railway Company in 1899. In June, 1901, Mr. Smith secured the franchise for heating houses by the hot-water system, which will be carried on by the traction company under his management. It will be seen from the foregoing recital that Charles F. Smith is just the kind of man needed in every community to make the wheels of progress go round and who are especially valuable in these days of electric development, when no town is of consequence which has not a good transit system, electric lighting plant and other up-to-date improvements. Improvement enterprises will not be established, neither will they progress, without the right kind of men behind them. In 1885 Mr. Smith was married at Cincinnati to Miss Lizzie J., daughter of John M. Farland, and Harry C Smith is the product of this union. Mr. Smith's political predilections are Republican, and his fraternal connections are with the Mystic Shrine. Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Elks.
[Source: Centennial Biographical history of Hancock County, Ohio, New York: Lewis Pub. Co., 1903]


HENRY SMITH, farmer, P. O. Findlay, son of Isaac and Mary B., (Bishop) Smith, was born November 3, 1845. He married, October 11, 1874, Miss Eliza Adelia Bibler, daughter of John Bibler. To Mr. and Mrs. Henry Smith have been born, four children: Charles H., John C. Mary H. and Arnott L. Mr. Smith is an earnest Democrat. He is one of the enterprising and representative farmers of Eagle Township. [History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ISAAC SMITH (deceased) was born February 14, 1813, in Franklin County, Ohio, son of William and Christine (Tussing) Smith, of Pennsylvania. He married, November 19, 1832, Miss Mary B. Bishop, who was born May 22, 1816, in Franklin County, Ohio; a daughter of George and Catherine Bishop, and a sister of John D. and Henry Bishop, of Eagle Township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Smith moved to Adams Township, Seneca Co., Ohio, in 1833, where our subject carried on a tan-yard for thirteen years. They then located in March, 1848, in Eagle Township, this county, where Mr. Smith cleared up and developed a fine farm of 240 acres of land, through which Eagle Creek flows. This farm was originally entered by John Woodruff, in 1829. He built a saw-mill on this farm in 1852, which he continued to operate until 1876. The children born to the union of our subject and wife were Mrs. Catherine Himrod; Eve, who died in infancy; George, who died at the age of seventeen years; Mrs. Julia Ann Lanning; Jacob B.; John, who died June 6, 1885, in his forty second year; Henry (see under); Mrs. Mary Fellars, now in Wood County, Ohio; Sydney Ann, who died in infancy, and Emma. Isaac Smith died August 10, 1869. He was a member of the Predestinarian Baptist Church for about thirty years, with which denomination he and his wife united the same day. In politics Mr. Smith was a Democrat. He took an earnest interest in public affairs. His widow and her son, Henry, and daughter, Emma, now reside on the family homestead. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


REV. JACOB B. SMITH, farmer, and minister of the Baptist Church, P. O. Findlay. was born October 21, 1841, in Adams Township, Seneca Co., Ohio. His father, Isaac Smith, a native of Franklin County, Ohio, married Miss Mary Bishop, and moved in a very early day to Seneca County, Ohio, where he carried on a tanning establishment, which he operated until 1848, when he moved to Eagle Township, this county. Here he purchased a new farm of 240 acres of land and began clearing and developing it. He and his worthy wife were members of the Predestinarian Baptist Church from early life. Isaac Smith was a consistent supporter of the Democratic party. He rendered valuable services in the settlement of this portion of Hancock County. He was prostrated by heat in 1863, which resulted in heart disease, causing his death in 1869. His widow still resides on the homestead farm. Rev. Jacob B. Smith, the subject of this sketch, spent his early life on his father's farm. Beginning in 1863 he taught school five winter terms, with uniform and undoubted success. August 10, 1864, he became united in marriage with Miss Eliza Helms, of Madison Township, this county, who died July 9, 1873, leaving three children: Edson K., Laura I. and Nellie I.; the latter died April 10, 1881, aged seven years and nine months. December 13, 1874, Mr. Smith was again married, this time to Miss Evalina Barnd, and they have two daughters living, Orpha and Elva, and have buried three infants. Mr. Smith united with the Predestinarian Baptist Church in 1869, and was ordained a minister thereof in 1874. He has devoted his services unselfishly to the cause of his church most of the time since his ordination. Mr. Smith is one of the leading and most able ministers of the Sandusky Association. Being a life-long Democrat he has taken an active interest in public affairs. He has served his township five years as clerk, and six years as assessor. He was chosen justice of the peace in 1879 and has held the position ever since. He discharges his duties faithfully and to the entire satisfaction of the people. He carried on a mercantile establishment in Findlay, Ohio, with Charles Elms as partner, from 1871 to 1874, when he moved back to the farm, which he owns, comprising 140 acres of well improved land in Eagle Township. He is a man of extensive and varied abilities, having carried on, successfully, a blacksmith shop on his place since 1864, doing work for an extensive community. He has also been very successful in the carpenter business; he built his own very large and commodious house, also several residences and barn buildings in this township, and in Findlay, also in Dunkirk, Hardin Co., Ohio. He is a man of wonderful energy and excellent judgment, and is called upon to transact business for his neighbors for miles around. He is bringing up a bright young family who are taking a high position in society and business. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


HENRY SNYDER (deceased), a pioneer of Marion Township, this county, was a native of Basle, Switzerland, born in February, 1790. He came to America in 1832, and proceeded at once to Fairfield County, Ohio, coming to Marion Township, this county, in 1833, and entering a tract of eighty acres of land, which he began to improve. In the fall of the same year he returned to Fairfield County and married Miss Magdalena Sands. They then located permanently in Marion Township, this county, the following April; they afterward added twenty acres to their farm. Henry Snyder died April 18, 1864, and his widow May 23, 1883, aged seventy-six years. They reared a family of six children: Mrs. Mary Herring, of Wyandot County, Ohio; Henry, Elizabeth, Susan, Anna and Daniel. The family are intelligent and industrious, and are taking good care of the heritage left them by their parents. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


HENRY SNYDER, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Marion Township, this county, August 12, 1837, and is a son of the well-known pioneer, Henry Snyder, Sr. Our subject early engaged in the profession of teaching, which he followed successfully for five terms (four in this county, and one in Livingston County, Ill., he was known as a faithful and efficient instructor and gave the best of satisfaction. He was united in marriage, February 25, 1869, with Matilda, daughter of Henry Shank, Esq. She departed this life in October, 1874, leaving two sons: Willoughby Albert and Henry Jason. Mr. Snyder is owner of a fine farm of eighty acres of land in Jackson Township, this county. He is a Republican in politics and takes a deep interest in public affairs; is a member of the Church of the Disciples. He held the appointment as postmaster of Elm Grove (afterward changed to Lye Creek post office) from 1864 to 1867, when the office was discontinued. Our subject is an extensive breeder of and dealer in fine stock. He first began buying and feeding hogs for the market, and now devotes his attention entirely to the thorough-bred Poland-China hogs, which he produces for breeding purposes, and has over 100 head of this breed on his farm. He is one of the enterprising and successful farmers of Marion Township. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


W. E. SNYDER, dealer in dry goods, etc., Findlay, was born in West Greenville, Penn., January 4, 1836, son of Simon A. and Elizabeth (Couldron) Snyder, natives of Snyder County, Penn., so named after the Snyders, who were prominent pioneers there. In 1849 Simon Snyder settled in Union Township, this county, where his six sons grew to manhood, all of whom became worthy merchants except Eli A. Snyder, M. D., who died in Kansas City, Mo.; Elijah is a grocer in Havana, Ill.; Augustus C. is a dry goods merchant in Santa Cruz. Cal.; Delos D. is in dry goods business in Minneapolis, Kas.; E. D. is a druggist in Kansas City, Mo. Our subject received a good schooling, and at fourteen became apprenticed to merchandising in the store of Henderson & Patterson, at Findlay. At twenty he embarked in business at McComb, with B. B. Barney (now of Toledo); in 1865 he came and established the present store, the "Old White Corner," with Mr. Barney, whose interest he purchased in 1872, since when he has carried on business alone (meanwhile continuing his store at McComb.) He was married in Findlay to Sallie H., daughter of Frederick and Helen (Gilruth) Duduit, pioneers in Hancock County. Mr. and Mrs. Snyder have one son and one daughter: Reginald C. and Bernice Fredrika. Mr. Snyder is a self-made man. Beginning upon a small clerical salary he managed to save and eventually started in business. Here, by dint of steady purpose, persistent industry, coupled with able management, he accumulated property rapidly, and eventually placed himself in the lead of his business. From 1875 to 1881 he had, jointly with Gov. Foster, and his brother, D. D. Snyder, at Fostoria, a lucrative mercantile interest. Besides his extensive commercial trade he is also in possession of some very valuable farm property, consisting of three good farms, and owns besides a handsome residence and some of the most desirable business property in Findlay. He is a member of Shawnee Commandery of Knights Templar. Mr. Snyder has always been averse to holding public office, but has given a cordial support and taken active interest in partisan politics. He is a public-spirited and prosperous business man, a liberal citizen, contributing to all worthy objects. In personal appearance he is of medium stature, of good physique and of vigorous disposition. He is of a versatile nature, which has probably aided him in drawing around him an extensive and lucrative trade. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


David B. SOLT has for twenty years been engaged in dealing in stock as a member of the firm of P. Solt & Company, of Eagle township. He makes his home two and a half miles east of Rawson and six miles southwest of Findlay, where he has a valuable property. He is widely known as a representative of agricultural interests, who through the exercise of business ability and unflagging enterprise has achieved success and won an honored name. Born in Eagle township May 23, 1857, David B. Solt is the second son of Peter Solt, and upon the home farm he was reared. In his boyhood he began to assist his father by driving cattle, and thus be was employed until twenty-five years of age, when he was admitted to a partnership in his father's stock dealing operations under the present firm style of P. Solt & Company. The present firm consists of the father, who is the senior member, D. B. Solt, F. B. McClellan and Smith Hoy. Mr. McClellan and our subject handle the stock at Rawson and P. Solt and Mr. Hoy make Findlay their headquarters. This business relation has been maintained for twenty years and the firm has enjoyed the profits of a constantly growing business. They have handled stock on an extensive scale and their annual sales return to them a good income. The subject of this review remained on his father's farm until his marriage, when he secured a farm of his own, and nine years ago he came to his present place of residence in Eagle township, not far from Rawson. Here he has eighty acres of rich and arable land. It is the old homestead farm of Daniel Raddebaugh, whose youngest daughter, Amy, became the wife of Mr. Solt. This land was first improved by Daniel Raddebaugh, whose father had entered the land for him, although living in Fairfield county. The grandfather was Samuel Raddebaugh, who settled near Findlay and was killed six or seven years ago, his death resulting from a beating inflicted by robbers. His children were: John, who is now living on Benton ridge, in Liberty township, at the age of ninety years; Joseph, who also lived in that township and died at the age of seventy-five years; and Daniel, the father of Mrs. Solt. All aided materially in the upbuilding and improvement of Hancock county, the family being a prominent one of this portion of the state. Daniel Raddebaugh was united in marriage to Maria Hosier, and three years later removed to what is now the Solt farm, although he had previously come and built a cabin on the place. He made his permanent location about 1846. She was born July 27, 1825, in Pickaway county, Ohio, and there remained until her marriage, which occurred when she was eighteen years of age. Her last days were spent on the old homestead, where she departed this life December 11, 1901. In their family were eleven children, of whom one died in infancy, while nine are yet living, and George, who was a farmer of Wood county, Ohio, died at the age of forty- two years. Mrs. Solt is now the only one living in Eagle township, but Edmond and Jane are residents of this county. Monroe is living in Coldwater, Michigan; Jefferson makes his home in Minonk, Illinois; Edward is a resident of Findlay, Ohio; Lucy is living in Marion, this state; Anna is in Bluffton, Ohio; and Ellis is a minister of the Evangelical church, at Bluffton. The father still resides upon the old home place and has now reached an advanced age. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Solt was celebrated April 8, 1880, when the lady was seventeen years of age. Their home has been blessed with five daughters: Pearl May, now the wife of Thaddeus Keller, of Eagle township; Elva Dale, Jessie Fremont, Dora Olive and Eva Milburn, all with their parents, the family circle yet remaining unbroken by the hand of death. Mr. Solt has continued to improve his farm since locating thereon, remodeling the house, building a barn and adding many modern equipments and accessories. He also has two other farms in Eagle township, comprising altogether three hundred and twenty acres, and two of these he operates, the well-tilled fields yielding to him a good return. He usually feeds quite a large number of cattle annually. He has eight producing oil wells upon the home place, but has confined his attention to agricultural pursuits and stock dealing, in which he has met with very creditable success. He is a working member of the Republican party and attends its conventions.
Both he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church of Rawson, in which he is serving as a trustee. His interest in everything pertaining to the general welfare is deep and sincere and his hearty cooperation has been given to many measures for the public benefit.
[Source: Centennial Biographical history of Hancock County, Ohio New York :: Lewis Pub. Co., 1903]


FRED SPAITH, proprietor of the City Meat Market, Findlay, was born in Findlay, this county, November 22, 1857, son of John and Elizabeth (Steinbacher) Spaith, natives of Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, former a shoe-maker born in Brennaheim, latter in Laudenheim. They came to America in 1851, settled in Findlay, this county, and reared a family of six sons and three daughters. Fred Spaith, the subject of this sketch, engaged in his present business when a lad and has been successfully connected with same since. He married, in Findlay, Mary Weber, daughter of Louis and Mary Weber, natives of Alsace, from near Weisberg. Our subject and wife are parents of one son and two daughters; Carrie Maud, Edith May and Cloys Frederick. Mrs. Spaith is a member of the United Brethren Church. Mr. Spaith is a member of the National Union. He is a thorough-going business man and a public-spirited citizen, contributing liberally to all measures tending to the welfare of his city and county; he has a good trade in his line of business and has accumulated a fair share of worldly goods. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


SAMUEL SPITLER, retired farmer, Van Buren, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, September 5, 1813, youngest child of John and Susanna (Buswell) Spitler, both natives of Virginia, who settled in Fairfield County, Ohio, in a very early day. Their family consisted of ten children, eight of whom lived to maturity, but our subject is now the only survivor. Samuel Spitler resided in his native county until after his marriage, when he moved to Crawford County, Ohio, where he remained eight years; then, in 1840, came to this county, where he has remained since. He has been engaged principally in agricultural pursuits, and owns a farm of 320 acres of land in Allen Township, this county, and is one of the substantial citizens of the county. He served his county two terms (from 1863 to 1867) as, treasurer, with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents; during this time he resided in Findlay. Samuel Spitler married, April 18, 1832, in Fairfield County, Ohio, Miss Anna Bretz, a daughter of Conrad and Susanna (Foreman) Bretz. Mr. Bretz served in the war of 1812. Mr. and Mrs. Spitler are the parents of ten children, eight of whom survive: Israel (married to Miss Jane Bushong), Noah (united in marriage, the first time with Sarah Loehr, and after her death, with Susa Hegerman), Eli (married to Miss Ensminger), Lucinda (wife of Paul Bryan), Cass W. (married to Benia Pingle), Samuel B. married to Nettie Poe), John H. (married to Irena Taylor) and Stephen D. (married to Lucy Rader). The deceased are Susannah E. and Conrad. In politics Mr. Spitler has always been a Democrat. Our subject and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Israel Spitler, Mrs. Lucinda Bryan, and Mr. and Mrs. Case W. Spitler, all belong to the Primitive Baptist Church, called the Van Buren Church. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


THOMAS J. STACKHOUSE, proprietor of the Sherman House, Findlay, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, February 14,1835; son of Joshua and Martha Sinclair Stackhouse, natives of Pennsylvania and Maryland, respectively. Our subject spent his early life in Seneca County, Ohio, whither his parents had removed, and when a lad he came to Findlay, where he learned the baking business, which he carried on successfully for many years, retiring from it in 1870. Mr. Stackhouse was united in marriage in Findlay, Ohio, with Fannie, daughter of Valentine Hine, and by her he has three sons and four daughters; Mary; Ella, wife of Dem. Marvin; Cora; Thomas; James; Rosa and Rolla. Mrs. Stackhouse is a worthy member of the Lutheran Church, to which our subject is a liberal contributor. Mr. Stackhouse is a member of the K. of P. He served in Company I, One Hundred and Sixty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and is a member of Stoker Post G. A. R. He is a public-spirited and energetic business man, and has accumulated a nice competence; is a liberal contributor to measures calculated to benefit the public. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JACOB STECKER, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, December 6, 1824, and came with his parents, Gottleiband Caroline Stecker, to America, and to Big Lick Township, this county, in 1841. Gottleib Stecker died in 1868; his widow still resides on the home farm, in Big Lick Township. Jacob Stecker married, May 1, 1853, Miss Rosanna Klink, of Crawford County, Ohio, and they then settled in the southern part of Cass Township, this county. To them were born four children, two of whom are now living: Catherine, wife of Alden H. Cobb, and Daniel, who is now a student at the Ohio Wesleyan University. After the death of his first wife, May 1, 1877, Jacob Stecker married, April 3, 1879, Miss Maria Jameson, daughter of Rev. Ira Jameson, of Big Lick Township, this county. Our subject has been industrious and successful in life, and has acquired a fine farm of 227 acres of fertile land. He has erected thereon a handsome brick residence, and made many other valuable improvements. In politics he is a Republican. He was elected justice of the peace in 1870, which position he held, by re-election, until 1882, and has discharged his duties faithfully and to the satisfaction of the people. Mr. and Mrs. Stecker are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was largely instrumental in erecting the handsome structure, Salem Church, in Cass Township, this county. He is strictly a self-made man, and has made excellent use of the limited advantages he has enjoyed here in his adopted country. He is a valuable citizen, highly respected by the entire community. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


GEORGE STOUGH, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fayette County, Penn., March 27, 1815, the eldest child of Moses and Mary (Riddle) Stough, natives of Pennsylvania. The father was a cooper by trade, but engaged also in farming; removed to what is now Ashland County, Ohio, and finally to this county, and died here at the age of eighty-three years. He was a son of George Stough, Sr., and of German descent. The subject of this sketch came to this county in 1853, and has since resided here, engaged in farming. He is the owner of farm property to the extent of 240 acres. He married, January 28, 1836, Miss Catherine Gierhart, daughter of Jonas H. Gierhart, at one time a farmer of this county. There have been ten children born to this union, four of whom are living: Daniel, Henry, Christian and Eliza J. Mr. Stough is one of the substantial and progressive citizens of this county. In politics he is a Democrat. The family are connected with the Disciples and Methodist Churches. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ULYSSES KINSEY STRINGFELLOW, civil engineer and county surveyor, Findlay, was born in Union Township, this county, June 26, 1855, son of Benjamin and Catharine (Kinsey) Stringfellow, the former of Pennsylvania pioneer stock and the latter of New England pioneers. They removed from Coshocton County, Ohio, to Union Township, this county, in 1854, and there four sons and three daughters grew up: Ulysses K.; George, who died in Mexico, while prosecuting his profession of civil engineer; Susie, wife of A. D. Whisler, a merchant of Benton Ridge; Artensa, wife of Charles Hartman, engineer, in Rawson; Mary; Frank and Harry. Ulysses K. Stringfellow obtained a good common school training, and at eighteen taught school, in which profession he was creditably connected for eleven years, retiring from it to accept his present position, to which he had been elected in 1884. He is a graduate of the Northwestern University at Ada, Ohio. November 27, 1884, he married Zetta, daughter of William Thomas, of Findlay. Mr. Stringfellow is a member of the I. O. O. F. Upon the organization of the Findlay Natural Gas Company he became connected with it and served as its secretary. He is a public-spirited and progressive citizen and. although young, bids fair to take rank, in the near future, with Hancock County's most active citizens. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JUDGE ROBERT L. STROTHER (deceased) was born in Pendleton County, Va., in September, 1801. He received a common school education, and when about eighteen years of age removed with his parents to Licking County, Ohio, where he worked on a farm and for Col. Hollister, a manufacturor and prominent character. In 1828 our subject and a Mr. Cochley came to this county, and, having been informed by surveyors that Blanchard River was navigable for several miles above Findlay and via the Auglaize down to the Maumee, these gentlemen resolved to locate land along its beautiful banks and our subject finally entered what has long been known as "The Isaac Comer farm" (now the property of a Mr. Wagner). He returned to Licking County, Ohio, and in 1829 again came out, this time locating eighty acres of land in Section 12, Findlay Township, and, returning home, gave a glowing description of the country along the Blanchard River, on which stream he confidently expected shortly to see steam-boats plying. His description of the country induced Johnson Bonham, James Caton and Isaac Strother to come out with him on his return the following spring, together with one or two hired men. On their arrival our subject was greatly surprised and humiliated at finding Blanchard River almost dry. Bonham, Caton and Isaac Strother located farms along the river. Some time after his settlement in this county our subject sold the "Comer farm" and purchased land now in North Findlay, and this he subsequently traded for eighty acres adjoining his original entry of eighty acres, on which his house stood. Judge Strother began his labors in this county by clearing a three-acre lot and erecting a log cabin, and soon after brought his mother and sister (now Mrs. Joseph C. Shannon) from Licking County. His mother died at his home in 1851. Judge Strother was very systematic in all that he did. His farm was divided into twenty-acre fields; he planted three acres of orchard, and beside every sixteenth panel of fence on the entire farm running north and-south he planted a grafted apple tree, and likewise along each fence extending east and west he planted peach trees. Early and subsequent settlers well remember the vast amount of delicious fruit that grew on and was sold from Judge Strother's well-cultivated orchard. Judge Strother was married, in 1847, to Elizabeth Todd, who bore him one daughter, Laura A., a teacher in the asylum for the blind at Columbus, Ohio. His second marriage was in 1851, with Sarah A. Merriam, a sister of the late Dr. William H. Baldwin (she had married A. F. Merriam in 1837, and by him had three children: Sarah J., wife of J. H. Schell, of Ottawa, Ohio; Mrs. Emily C. Kemble, of Findlay, and William D. Mr. Merriam died in Kentucky, whither he had gone to recover his health. He was a cousin to the Hon. Stephen A. Douglas, and came with that distinguished statesman to Pennsylvania. Mr. Merriam was the second practicing attorney in Findlay. Judge Strother's marriage with Mrs. Merriam gave him three children: Eva A., wife of J. C. Strickler, of Dakota; Mrs. John Shuck, wife of a worthy boot and shoe merchant of Findlay, and Nellie C. (latter deceased). Our subject lived on the farm until 1875, when he removed to Findlay, and about three weeks later, October 8, 1875, he died. His death has been an irreparable loss to his numerous friends. He had served as associate judge and county commissioner. In politics he was a Whig and Republican, and an active local politician. He united with the Methodist Church in 1852, and died triumphant in the faith. His widow resides with her daughter, Mrs. Kemble, the greater part of her time when not engaged in her active temperance labors. She has been a delegate to various temperance conventions, and was selected as one of Ohio's seven delegates to the national temperance convention held in Philadelphia, Penn., October 30, 1885. She is president of the W.C.T.U. of this, the Fourteenth Congressional District of Ohio, and is an earnest, energetic advocate of the principles of temperance for the good of humanity. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


ROLAND G. STROTHER, proprietor of the "People's Meat Market," Findlay, was born in Findlay Township, this county, June 1, 1854; youngest child in the family of Anthony W. and Mary J. (McRill) Strother, who settled in Findlay Township, this county, in an early day, and reared four sons and two daughters. Anthony W. Strother was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1812, son of Benjamin Strother, a native of Virginia. The McRills come of prominent people of Baltimore, Md., and were also early settlers in this county. Roland G. Strother, the subject of this sketch, was reared a farmer and followed agricultural pursuits until the spring of 1885, when he embarked in his present business. He was united in marriage, in 1879, with Mary, daughter of Samuel Hill, Esq., and by her he has one daughter, Mary Gladdis. Mr. Strother is an energetic and public-spirited business man and citizen, and contributes liberally toward all measures for the public welfare. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


HENRY SWANK, lumber manufacturer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Eagle Township, this county, September 23, 1848, son of the pioneer, John Swank. Henry offered his services in defense of the Government in 1864, but was not accepted. He early engaged in the saw-mill business, which he has since followed. April 15, 1873, Mr. Swank was united in marriage with Miss Hannah Jane Orwick, daughter of John Orwick, and born in Jackson Township, this county, October 27, 1854. They have two children: Harry Wesley and Edith Dale. January 2, 1881, Henry Swank purchased a saw-mill, which he located on Blanchard River, in Amanda Township, this county. In 1882 he moved it to Findlay and in 1883 to the old VanHorn mill-site, in Jackson Township, this county, where it is at present located. Henry Swank purchased his present home of one acre of land soon after his marriage. He had the misfortune to lose by fire his house and household goods May 20, 1885. Mr. Swank is a man of energy and enterprise, highly respected by his fellow townsmen. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN SWANK, merchant and retired fawner, P. O. Findlay, was born January 11, 1816, in London, Franklin Co., Penn. His fat her, Henry Swank, son of one of the Hessian soldiers captured by Washington at Trenton, married Miss Elizabeth Study, a lady of German descent. Her grandmother, Study, lived to within twenty-one days of being one bundled years old. The subject of this sketch was brought, in 1817, by his parents to Richland County, Ohio, where the latter resided until their death. John Swank was united in marriage, May 18, 1837, with Miss Anna Myers, of Bedford County, Penn., and the following year came to this county to select a home, finally locating, in 1841, in Eagle Township. There Mrs. Swank died, of milk sickness, November 21, 1844, leaving four children: Washington; Mrs. Samantha Ungst, in Richland County, Ohio; Wilson S., in Putnam County, Ohio, and Jefferson. June 1, 1845, our subject married, for his second wife, Miss Hannah Hare, a native of Westmoreland County, Penn., and she died December 28, 1853, leaving four children: Franklin, Henry, Jackson and Dixon. Mr. Swank afterward married, July 30, 1854, for his third wife, Miss Elizabeth Oman (she had been a pupil in his school when she was but nine years of age). They moved to the present homestead in 1855, and here she died December 15, 1873, of typhoid fever, after an illness of seventy-four days, leaving twelve children: Benton; Mrs. Anna Merritt, in Sandusky City, Ohio; John P., in Van Buren County. Mich.; Mrs. Martha Burch, in South Pueblo, Colo.; Mrs. Harriet Hersher; Loring, in Michigan; William T. S. (deceased); Anson, in Morrow County, Ohio; Edwin S. (deceased); Lehmanouski; Joseph, and an infant (deceased). March 12, 1874, Mr. Swank married, for his fourth wife, Miss Mary Swank, by whom he had three children: Charles, Oliver P. (deceased) and Scott Hayes (the latter was kissed and blessed by the Presidential party in 1879). Mr. Swank contributed liberally in defense of the Union, sending five sons: Washington, Wilson S., Jefferson. Franklin, who was wounded at Chickamauga and died at Chattanooga November 17, 1863, and Eli. Mr. Swank becoming unable to work in his old age, established a store on his premises, in 1882, and still carries it on, supplying the neighborhood with articles of household necessity. He kept Clements postoffice here on his place from 1856 to 1866; it was afterward changed to Swank, but discontinued at his request. He is an earnest Republican, and has independent religious views. The name of John Swank will long be remembered by the citizens of Hancock County. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


S. B. SWARTZ, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, March 1, 1836, son of George and Mary (Beery) Swartz, natives of Ohio, of Pennsylvania descent. George Swartz, who was a farmer all his life, came to this county in 1858, and settled where his son S. B. now resides; he reared a family of six children, our subject being the third. S. B. Swartz was reared on the farm, attended the common school in Fairfield County, Ohio, and chose agriculture for his occupation. He is now the owner of 111 acres of good land in Liberty Township, this county. In 1863 he was united in marriage with Miss S. A., daughter of S. K. Radebaugh, and a native of Ohio, her ancestors being from Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Swartz have four children: Charlie S. Morris W., Nelson R., and Merle E. Our subject and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. He has held the office of township trustee and school director. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


DANIEL E. SWITZER was born on a farm, and there lived and received his education until he was twenty years old, at which time he came to Findlay, farm life having little attraction for him. Our subject's father is Henderson Switzer, who was born in Richland county, this state, but who later moved to Hancock county, where his son Daniel was born in 1S68. The elder Switzer is a farmer. In 1895 Mr. Switzer established the bakery of Switzer Brothers, he having learned the baker's trade soon after coming to Findlay. He has built up a large and flourishing trade, which is a credit to Findlay. He was married in 1891 to Clara, daughter of Daniel Alspach, and they have four children, as follows: Jessie, Walter, Glenn and Ruth. Mr. Switzer is a member of the Order of Elks, and also the Order of Maccabees. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: Centennial Biographical history of Hancock County, Ohio New York : Lewis Pub. Co., 1903]



BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails