Genealogy Trails - Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led

Hancock County, Ohio
Genealogy and History
A Part of the Genealogy Trails Group


line
Biographies
line

DAVID WALTER, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Findlay, was born in Westmoreland County, Penn., in 1820; son of John and Catherine (Roup) Walter, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in Lancaster County and the latter in Allegheny County; they died in Stark County, Ohio, whither they had removed in early times. They left five sons and three daughters, Jonas, John, Abigail, Barbara and Elizabeth are in Stark County, Ohio; George, in California; Nicholas, in Defiance County, Ohio; and David. All have families except one of the sons and one daughter. In 1849 the subject of this sketch came to this county and settled upon his present farm in Findlay Township, where he has succeeded in amassing a fine property and has a beautiful home. He married, in this county, Miss Amanda, daughter of Henry Bear, Esq., and they have five daughters living: Harriet Ann, wife of Charles Thomas; Emily E., wife of John Schwab, and Sarah A., Barbara A. and Amanda B. at home. Mr. Walter and family attend the services of the English Lutheran Church. He has always been a worthy, hardworking and painstaking farmer, and has reared and educated his family well. He has served his district with credit as a member of the school board. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


LLOYD WEISEL, farmer, P. O. Van Buren, was born in this county, April 23, 1835. His parents, Isaac and Jane (Dorsey) Weisel, were natives of Pennsylvania, the former a shoe-maker by trade, but in later life a farmer; they came to this county in 1833, and died here in 1878, their deaths occurring only one week apart. They were the parents of ten children, six of whom are yet living: Oliver, Lloyd, Charlotte, Sarah, John and Laura. A son, Rufus, served in the Ninety-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and died in the hospital. Lloyd, the subject of this sketch, has resided in this county all his life, except eight years spent in California. He returned to this county in 1864, and has since engaged in farming and stock raising, having farm property to the extent of 300 acres. He is a member of Haywood Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 333. He married, September 14, 1865, Nancy, daughter of James Telfer. No children have been born of this union, but Mr. and Mrs. Weisel have reared two, who have been in the family since they were quite young: Mary Telfer and Melvin Needham. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church. In politics Mr. Weisel is a Republican. He is one of the substantial farmers of this county. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


G. W. WHISTLEMAN, farmer and stock dealer, Findlay, was born in Findlay, Ohio, September 24, 1860, son of John and Christiana (Kisor) Whistleman, former a native of Rockingham County, Va., latter born in Ohio, both of German extraction. John Whistleman, who was a farmer and one of the pioneers of this county, settled where Findlay now stands, when there were only four houses in the village; he died May 4, 1885. G. W. Whistleman, the youngest of a family of four children, was reared on a farm, and wisely chose agricultural pursuits for his occupation. He now owns one-half interest in the home farm, consisting of eighty-nine and one-half acres near Findlay. In 1882 our subject was united in marriage with Elizabeth Clamfus, a lady of German descent, and to this union was born, October 23, 1885, one son. Mr. and Mrs. Whistleman are members of the Evangelical Church; in politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN WESLEY WHITEHURST, proprietor of the Eagle Restaurant, Findlay, was born in Rockingham County, Va., August 17, 1838; son of John and Margaret (Showalter) Whitehurst, of English pioneer ancestry, in that State. In 1842 they settled in Fairfield County, Ohio, and there the subject of our sketch grew to manhood. In 1860 he came to Hancock County, and the following year enlisted his services, August 5, 1861, in defense of the Union in Company G, Ninty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and did active service for over three years, participating in all the battles of these campaigns, and was wounded at Stone River. Ga. After the war he carried on a restaurant business in Huntington, Ind., for two years, and afterward traveled in the interest of mercantile trade till 1871, when he retired from that and engaged with a circus business for two years; coming here he established his present business and has, by dint of good business ability, secured a nice trade and accumulated a good competence. Mr. Whitehurst was married, June 1, 1865, in Indiana, to Emma Ream, of Huntington, and by her he has one daughter - Mollie - a young lady of estimable attainments. Mr. Whitehurst has always contributed liberally to all worthy enterprises. He and his wife and daughter are regular attendants of the services of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the Stoker Post, G. A. R., and of the Findlay Improvement Society, and of the Findlay Natural Gas Company. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


PHILIP P. WILCH, farmer, P. O. Arlington, was born in Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, September 22, 1823, son of Philip (a farmer) and Elizabeth (Brickman) Wilch, who never came to America. Our subject resided in New York and Cleveland a short time after arriving in the United States, and November 7, 1854, came to this county and has since resided on his present farm in Madison Township, engaged in farming. March 7, 1843, he married, in Germany, Miss Eva Schafer, and by her has a family of four children: Catherine, Margaret, Philip and Susan. The family are all connected with St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church. Mr. Wilch is one of the leading representatives of the German settlement in this part of the county, and is a much respected citizen. In politics he is a Democrat. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JAMES H. WILSON. P. O., Findlay, was born in York County, Penn., May 13, 1803, son of James and Eleanor Wilson, of Scotch ancestry, and early settlers of Pennsylvania. Our subject was reared on the farm and obtained a common school education. In 1832 he came to Findlay, Ohio, and the day following his arrival he purchased a partially constructed frame building with a lot, the present site of the "Commercial Hotel," for $700, paying part cash. He worked at the carpenter's trade for about one year and then engaged as a clerk for S. & P. Carlin, early merchants. In eighteen months he embarked in mercantile business in a frame building erected by himself on the lot whore now stands the "Carnahan Block." In 1848 he erected what was known as the "Melodeon Building," then the largest structure in Findlay, containing two store rooms on the first floor, offices on the second and a public hall on the third. This building was torn away to give place to the magnificent business block lately constructed by T. & W. R. Carnahan. On retiring from his mercantile interests Mr. Wilson turned his personal attention to farming and real estate transactions. In 1847 he laid out lots from an entire eighty-acre tract, now known as East Findlay, and buildings have been erected on a majority of the lots. For the last twenty-two years he has been connected with the First National Bank of Findlay as a director and stockholder and has retired from active labor. He united with the Seceder Church when about fifteen years of age, and has lived an active Christian life since, being now a member the United Presbsterians of Cannonsburg, it being the nearest organization of the church of his choice. He buried his first wife, Susan E. (Hutchison), who died July 8, 1880, and subsequently married Mrs. Lucretia A. Marsh. Mr. Wilson has seen Findlay and Hancock County "bud and blossom," having located here when the families of Bass Rawson, Squire and Parlee Carlin, Frederick Henderson, Wilson Vance, John W. Baldwin, Matthew Reighly, Jonathan Parker, W. L. Henderson, Christian Barnd and William Taylor constituted the principal inhabitants of Findlay. He has experienced the hardships incident to the early settlers and merchants, such as making trips to New York by wagon, en route to Sandusky, by boat to Buffalo, by stage to Lockport, by canal to Albany and down the Hudson River to New York, to purchase goods. It is enough to say that society, as well as everything tending to promote the welfare of Hancock County, has been benefitted by his relationship with the community: yet it can be added that he has taken special interest in helping to establish the first two railroad lines in this county, and has served the city as mayor and councilman with honor to himself and the satisfaction of his constituents. He cast his first presidential vote for Andrew Jackson, but left the Democratic party in 1838, and since the birth of the Republican party he has been a stanch advocate of its principles. During the transactions he has had with the public in the various avocations he has followed in this county, he is characterized as having been strictly honest, and his acquaintance, which extends all over the county, will take pleasure in seeing him perpetuated with a brief pen picture and portrait in this volume. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN G. WILSON, farmer, P. O. Forest, Hardin County, was born November 28, 1829, in Medina County, Ohio. His parents, Robert and Betsey E. Wilson, settled in Delaware Township, this county, in April, 1835, after having spent the winter in Hardin County, Ohio, and here they went into the woods and began clearing up and developing a farm. Robert Wilson died in February, 1850, and his widow in February, 1867. John G. Wilson, the subject of this sketch, was reared on his father's farm, and received his education in the schools of the home district. He married Miss Mary Ann Higgins, October 16, 1854, and then settled in Delaware Township, this county. They have acquired, by their own industry and good management, a fine farm of 400 acres of land, with excellent buildings and other improvements. Their children are Mrs. Amanda E. Spencer, Mrs. Harriet K. Porter, Mrs. Mary Ann McElrie, Alva M., Mrs. Maggie Cooper, Mrs. Martha Jane Smith, William H. and Effie B. Mr. Wilson is a Republican in politics; has served two terms as township trustee. He is a leading and representative citizen of Delaware Township, this county. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


HENRY F. WINDERS, dry goods merchant, Findlay, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, May 2, 1831, son of John and Elizabeth (Paden) Winders, the former a native of Shenandoah County, Va., and of pioneer stock of that State; the latter, a daughter of John and Sidney Paden, natives of Ireland who came to this country in 1815, settling in Fairfield County. The subject of this sketch, when a lad, was apprenticed to merchandising in the store of his uncle, T. B. C. Paden, of New Salem, Ohio. At twenty-one he embarked in the dry goods business there in which he continued till 1859, when he retired to farming. In 1861 he came to Findlay, this county, and sold goods for Patterson & Taylor for four years, then embarked in business on his own account with which he has been successfully connected here since. He was married, June 22, 1854, in Fairfield County, Ohio, to Araminta S., daughter of the late Judge Wiseman, of Perry County, Ohio, and by this union has one daughter and one son: Susie, the wife of Thomas Frazer, a druggist in Findlay, and John, associated with his father (he has a son, Henry, by his marriage with Miss Ella Crooks, of Massillon, Ohio). Mr. Winders has held membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church since his fifteenth year; has served as an official in same and has been Sabbath-school superintendent for over twenty-three years. He is a worthy Mason of over thirty years' standing. Though he has always avoided public office he has served with credit in the council and upon the school board of Findlay. Besides his extensive mercantile connections he has also been connected with many of the important industries in Findlay, and has contributed toward the development of many of the city's important manufacturing and other interests. In politics he is a Republican. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


GEORGE W. WISELEY, farmer, P. O. Findlay, was born in Marion Township, this county, in May, 1843, son of Allen and Amelia (Bright) Wiseley, natives of Ohio. Allen Wiseley, whose ancestors were natives of Holland and Scotland, was born February 20, 1809, in Fairfield County, Ohio. He there became acquainted with his first wife, Amelia Bright. Her father, Maj. Bright, moved to Hancock County, and in a few years Allen Wiseley came to this county, entered a tract of land, and shortly afterward, in October, 1830, married his intended, settled down and has remained here since. He still resides on the first forty acres entered by himself in Marion Township. He entered other lands by proxy, as at that time no person was allowed to enter more than a forty-acre tract. He and his wife were exactly of the same age. Before their marriage they went on horseback, riding single file along the Indian trail (there being no roads cut then) to the court house at Findlay, where they heard Mr. Bowman preach a sermon, and while there they put their horses up at an inn kept by a Mr. Taylor. To Mr. and Mrs. Allen Wiseley were born seven children, five of whom are living: George W.; Daniel; America, wife of M. E. Glick; Sarah, wife of Henry Davis, and Lurany, wife of Henry Wiseley (a member of another family of Wiseleys). The mother of these children died December 9, 1878, and Allen Wiseley was again married, this time, July 18, 1882, to Mrs. Mary A. Clentchy, nee Cahill, and by her he has one child - Jessie. Allen Wiseley has become a successful farmer and is a pleasant, social old gentleman. He has given each of his children a good farm and has now retired from active labors, he and wife enjoying the fruits of years of industry. His house and farm are well supplied with relics of antiquity, such as fossils, Indian tools, curious formed rocks, etc., which he takes great pleasure in discussing. His son, George W. Wiseley, who resides near him, has twice married; his first wife, Amanda Johnson, died a short time after their marriage, leaving him one child - Orion, now an educated young man and residing with him. Our subject's second marriage was with Miss R. L. Miller, and has resulted in four children: Olive, Laura, William B. and Jennie M., the last two named being twins. George W. Wiseley has a well cultivated farm with good improvements. He is an intelligent and pleasing gentleman and a good business man. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


AMOS WITTENMYER, justice of the peace, Benton Ridge, was born in Snyder County, Penn., December 24, 1825, son of George and Mary (Bachtel) Wittenmyer, natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent, the former a shoe-maker by trade but in later life a farmer. Our subject, who is the fourth in a family of six children, was educated in the common schools. He came to Ohio with his family in 1853, and has resided in this county since 1871. He was proprietor of the hotel at Benton Ridge for several years, and was also engaged in farming. Mr. Wittenmyer is now serving his second term as justice of the peace in Blanchard Township. In politics he is a Republican. He has been successful in life, having accumulated a fair share of this world's goods. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]


JOHN WORTMAN, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. McComb, was born in Lawrence County. Penn., September 10, 1825, son of Jacob and Rebecca (Smith) Wortman, natives of Pennsylvania, former a farmer of German descent, and latter of Irish and Dutch descent. Our subject was the third in a family of eleven children (three being deceased). In early life he taught school. In 1855 he was united in marriage with Julia, daughter of Robert and Catherine (Davis) Dilworth, of English and Holland descent, natives of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Wortman was a school teacher in early life. In 1857 Mr. Wortman came to this county and settled on a farm of 160 acres of land where he now resides. Mr. and Mrs. Wortman are members of the Presbyterian Church in McComb, in which he is ruling elder, also at one time was assistant superintendent of the Sabbath school. He served as township trustee for four years, has been justice of the peace four terms and was land appraiser in 1880. Mr. and Mrs. Wortman have been blessed with three children: Mary Ellen (deceased), Edwin C., a farmer and school teacher, and Florence, at home. [Source: History of Hancock Co, Chicago: Warner Beers & Co., 1886]



BACK -- HOME
Always Free Always Updating

Copyright © Genealogy Trails