WILLIAM FORD, deceased, was born at Urbana, Champaign County, Ohio. November 6, 1825. He was a son of Thomas Ford, born probably in Virginia, who came to Ohio at an early day. He was married to Rebecca McGill, now resident of Champaign County, day, whom he had fifteen children. nine surviving. Thomas Ford died in 1851, at a ripe old age. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm, in Champaign County receiving a limited education. He was married in his native county, September 1, 1853, to Mary J. McCroskey, also a native. of that county born October 4, 1833, and a daughter of James and Nancy (Clark) McCroskey. In the spring of 1859, Mr. Ford came to Round Head Township, buying eighty acres of timber land on Section J, clearing about fifty acres, and resided there until his death, December 30, 1867. He was a Republican in politics, but no politician. He was a member of the United Brethren Church, Adams Township, Champaign County, but is buried in Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Round Head Township. Mr. Ford and his wife were the parents of three children, two now living, Clarissa A., wife of Oscar Thatcher, head sawyer in a saw mill at DeGraff, Logan County, Ohio, and Daniel Webster, married October 15, 1882, to Emma Barger, a native of Champaign County, Ohio. Mrs. Ford and son carry on the farm. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 842]
Daniel Ziegler was born 1811 in Muskingum Co, Ohio and lived on his father farm. He got a Land Patent in Hardin County Ohio 1838, but very soon Sold it. Daniel next got a Land patent in Hocking County Ohio. The 80 acres is at what is now a preserve Crane Hollow preserve. They were farmers the family was raised there, Febuary 12 1863 it was Sold to Mr Hood. Mary ann (Bell) died March 8 1866. In 1868 Daniel bought two lots in Williamsport Pickaway county Ohio. He sold that land in 1871, He later bought a few miles away in Wayne township consisting of 8 acres. Died May 17 1895 Daniel and his wife spent some time in Ross county and are buried in Austin Strater cemetery in Concord township. [unknown source, Submitted by John Ziegler]
Hugh H. Tidd
HUGH H. TIDD, deceased, an early and well-known citizen of Round Head Township, was born in Logan County, Ohio, in December 1816. He was a son of Samuel Tidd, an early settler on Mad River, in Logan County, and who was married to Rebecca Hill. They came to Hardin County in 1828, locating on Section 21 in Round Head Township, where Samuel Tidd died at a ripe age. The subject of this sketch was reared in Hardin County since his twelfth year, receiving a very limited education. At his father's death, he inherited 100 acres of the homestead, and subsequently bought 153 acres more and lived on this farm of 253 acres until his death. He died, February 18, 1878, aged sixty-two years. He helped to organize Pleasant Hill Church and was one of the Trustees for many years. In politics, he was a Republican. He first married Mary, daughter of William Given, of McDonald Township, by whom he had nine children, six living. Mrs. Tidd died in December, 1862, and Mr. Tidd was again married a few years later to Sarah J. Caseman, a native of Allen County, Ohio. They had seven children, six of whom are living. Mrs. Tidd departed this life February 6, 1878. Alexander G., the third son of Hugh and Mary (Given) Tidd, was born on the old homestead, April 24, 1838. He lived on the farm until twenty years of age, and then bought eighty acres of land adjoining the homestead, where he lived six years. He then sold that farm and purchased 102 acres in McDonald Township, on which he lived until July, 1881, when he sold it and bought the old homestead of 253 acres, where he has since resided. Mr. Tidd is a member of a Methodist class in McDonald Township, is a member of the Republican party, and was Trustee and School Director in McDonald Township for two terms each. He was united in marriage September 20, 1860, with Margaret R., a native of Marion Township, and daughter of Isaac McElhany. They have had four children, three living, Frank M., Albert L. and Hollister S. The eldest child, Rilla Allen, died in 1874, aged thirteen years, two months and nine days Mrs. Tidd is a member of the Pleasant Hill Church. Isaac McElhany, deceased, was born in Ireland, May 1799. He was the only child of James McElhany and Margaret Stewart both of whom died in Ireland, and came to Pennsylvania when twenty-one years of age. He labored in the iron works there for two or three years, then came to Licking County, Ohio, where he worked by the month for a short time. He was there married to Margaret Kirkland, a native of that county, and after marriage came to this county. He was one of the pioneer settlers of Marion Township. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - Pg 853]
CORNELIUS CHAMBERLIN, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Monroe County, N. Y., March 30, 1825. He is a son of David and Hannah (Bridge) Chamberlin, of New York State. His paternal grandfather was an officer in the Revolution, and died in New York. Our subject's parents were married in their native State, whence they emigrated in 1837, and settled in Taylor Creek Township, Hardin County, Ohio. Mr. Chamberlin bargained for 200 acres of land at $2.50 an acre; after paying a part, the title proved void, and the land was taken away after his decease. He died in November, 1838; his widow followed him in May 1865. They were the parents of twelve children, five living. The subject of this sketch was the sixth child and second son. He was brought up on a farm and obtained a fair education from the common schools. When fourteen years of age. he began working out by the month for a period of ten years. On November 18, 1846, he was married to Miss Catharine Irwin, born in Logan County, Ohio, October 20, 1828, and a daughter of Michael and Mary Irwin. When eight years of age, she came with her parents to Union County, Ohio. Mr. Chamberlin and his wife are the parents of ten children, viz.: William A., Alice (wife of John L. Collins), Charles E., Stephen A., Martin V., Clara, John and Henry. James and Jennie are deceased. Jennie was the wife of Henry McCullough, and at her decease left two children - Ora C. and Asa. In 1857, Mr. Chamberlin located on his present farm, which consisted originally of 110 acres. He has since cleared the land, and has acquired 163 acres of land, all well cultivated. When he was married, he had but $15, and all that he has since obtained has been clue to his industry and enterprise. In 1864, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Eighty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged in June, 1865. He served principally in Tennessee, under Gen. Thomas, and was in the battle of Nashville. At the last named place, he contracted a sickness, and was confined at the post hospital of that town. He and his wife are members of the United Brethren Church. In politics, Mr. Chamberlin is a Republican, and has never held public office.[Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - Pg 1038]
JOHN BURGIN, farmer, P. O. Patterson, was born April 19, 1829, in Lincolnshire, England. and is a son of John Burgin. He emigrated to Ohio at the age of thirty years and settled in Huron County, where he lived five years and then came to this county, of which he has now been a resident for sixteen years. He was married, in November, 1862, at Norwalk, Huron County, to Mary Ann Chambers, a native of Lincolnshire, England. Mr. Burgin and his wife are members of the Church of the Disciples. Mr. Burgin pursues farming for an occupation, and ranks among the intelligent, enterprising farmers of Blanchard Township. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 868]
William T. Atha
WILLIAM T. ATHA, farmer, P. O. Mt. Victory, was born December 28, 1845, in Madison County, Ohio; and is the son of William and Maria (Gaunt) Atha, both of English descent, the former a native of Maryland, the latter of Pennsylvania. He was married February 21, 1863, to Ann J. Morse, born November 11, 1844, in Champaign County, Ohio, the daughter of Jason and Margaret (Collins) Morse, the former from Rhode Island, the latter a native of this State, both of English descent. This union has been blessed with five children. four girls and one boy, viz., Eva M., born January 22, 1864; Rosa E., born September 22, 1866; Celia L., born March 10, 1872; John B., born December 4,1874, and Mary D., born May 29, 1881. Mr. Atha enlisted in the Fourteenth Ohio Battery in January, 1862, and was discharged in August the same year. Mr. Atha has been living in this county for five years, and has been a resident of sixteen different States. During the year 1865-66, he was living in the West. He is a farmer by occupation and is one of the useful citizens of Dudley Township. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 892]
WILLIAM BRAMBLE, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born June 14, 1800, in Delaware, and is a son of Charles and Lavinia (Layton) Bramble, who emigrated to Ohio in 1804. Our subject was married, March 13, 1828, to Nancy, the daughter of George Emery. The union resulted in nine children, three boys living-Alford, Charles and William. Mrs. Bramble died, and in July, 1858, Mr. Bramble formed a second union with Minerva, widow of Robert Wilson, and a daughter of Benjamin and Susan (Wakelee) Johnson, the former a native of New York and the latter a descendant of the Puritans. Mrs. Bramble came to Ohio in 1834, and by her first husband had four children, viz., Susan W., Delia E., Sofronia J. and Mary M., deceased. By his second union Mr. Bramble has had but one chill, Eunice, born July 31, 1860, died at the age of two years and two month;. from the effects of a scald. In 1865, Mr. Bramble went to New Jersey, where he spent two years, and then went to Maryland, where he remained nine years, after which he came to Hardin County. Two of Mr. Bramble's sons were in the late war, and the youngest child of his wife by her first marriage was wounded in that war and taken prisoner at Knoxville, where he died. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 893]
SILVANUS COOK, farmer, P. O. Larue, was born April 14, 1807, in Washington County, Penn., and emigrated to Ohio at the age of seven years, residing at first in Lexington, Richland County, and finally, in January, 1843, came to this county, where he has since remained. He is a farmer by occupation, and owns thirty-eight acres of land in Section 12, Dudley Township. April 22. 1830, he was united in marriage to Anna Spacklin, native of England, born June 14, 1805, of English descent, who emigrated to this State at the age of eighteen years. This union has resulted in five children, viz., Nelson W., married: John L., married; Peter S. (deceased); George J. (deceased), and Parmelia Ann, the wife of Byron B. Kilbourne. For nine years Mr. Cook served as Constable, for two years was Supervisor, and for six years a School Director. In politics he is a Republican, has been an active man in his day, and is one of the robust pioneers who made themselves prominent in the early history of this country. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 894]
JOSHUA COPE, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born December 12, 1813 in Ross County, Ohio. His parents, Joshua and Isabella (McCrea) Cope, were natives of Virginia, the former a Quaker, of Irish and Scotch, the latter of Irish descent. He was the fourth of a family of seven children, four boys and three girls, two boys and two girls deceased; his brother William was a prominent physician in Wyandot County, Ohio, and is now a resident, of Greenwood County, Kan. The subject of this sketch was educated in Marion County and chose farming for his occupation. He carne to this county in November, 1832, when the country was all a forest, and has resided here ever since. On November 17, 1836, he was united in marriage to Elizabeth Hopkins, born February 26, 1817, in Pickaway County, Ohio, a daughter of Robert and Nancy (Vesey) Hopkins, who were of Irish lineage, natives of Delaware, and emigrated to Ohio at an early day. Mrs, Cope was the second of a family of nine children, six boys, and three girls, two of the boys deceased. Her brother, John F., was a representative of Boone County, Iowa; her brother Samuel, Squire of Dudley Township, Hardin County, and Robert, Probate Judge for two terms of Marion County. Mr. Cope has been a member of the Free-Will Baptist Church for forty-three years, and Mrs. Cope since her seventeenth year. Mr. Cope in politics is a Republican, has filled the office of Township Trustee for eight years and is one of the successful, self-made men of Dudley Township. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 895]
THOMAS HAGGARD, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born August 25, 1845, in Franklin County, Ohio. At the age of four years he was an orphan and was reared and educated by his uncle in Union County. He was married, October 29, 1867. in Union County, Ohio, to Mary E. Cherry, born February 6, 1850, a daughter of Isaac and Susannah (Frankfield) Cherry. His wife's father died while in the service of the Twenty-first Regiment at Chattanooga Mr. Haggard is the father of six children, three boys and three girls, Millie and Willie, twins, Etty Belle, Harriet E., Charles A. and. Rutherford B. Mr. and Mrs. Haggard are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Haggard enlisted at the age of seventeen years in the Twelfth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry in 1863. He went into camp at Cleveland on November 10, two weeks after he received orders to go to Johnson's Island to guard the prisoners confined there, where he passed through a great deal of suffering during the severe winter that followed, having nothing but cloth tents for shelter. Early in the spring he went to Camp Dennison, where he drew his horse and prepared for further duties. On June 9, 1864, was fought the memorable battle of Mount Sterling, Ky. At the break of day, Gen. Morgan with his men crawled through the standing flax, but were bravely met by our men, among them our subject. The latter was, unfortunately, badly wounded, left leg broken by a minie ball, right leg by a musket, and he laid on the field till about noon, when he was carried to a field hospital and soon fell into a state of unconsciousness. He was finally taken to Lexington, where he was placed in a regular hospital, and was well cared for. By September 1, he was allowed to return home, and in November was able to go about without crutches. Since the war, he has been occupied in farming. In politics, he is a Republican and is one of the self-made men of Dudley Township. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 896]
J. O. HARVEY, farmer. P. O. Mount Victory, was born June 29, 1844, in Union County, this State, and is the son of Alonzo and Rachel (Ballinger) Harvey. His father is a native of Vermont and of Scotch and English descent. his mother a native of Logan County, this State. The subject of this sketch is a farmer by occupation, owns ninety-three acres of land in Dudley Township and fifteen in Hale; he has been financially successful and has resided on his farm. the homestead. for twenty-four years. He was married, December 21, 1868, to Sarah, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Wilgus) Sullivan (deceased), both natives of this State. This union resulted in five children one deceased-Charles N., born October 2, 1869; Alonzo, born June 29, 1873: Estella (deceased), John S. Harvey, born September 5, 1875; and Ocie, born March 5, 1879. Mr. Harvey and his wife are members of the United Brethren Church, where the former is Class Leader. He filled the position of Township Assessor for two years (1871 and 1876). In politics, he is a Republican. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 897]
ANDREW HISEY, farmer, P. O. Mount Victory, was born September 10, 1828, in Columbiana County, Ohio, and is the son of Benjamin and Sarah (Dustman) Hisey, both natives of Virginia and of German lineage. The subject of this sketch is the oldest of a family of seven children, two deceased, and was educated at the common schools of Columbiana County, this State. He has followed farming and carpentering for his occupation, the latter of which he has pursued thirty-one years. He was married September 17, 1857, to Clarinda Shirk, born November 18, 1838, in Union County, Ohio, a daughter of Adam and Anna (Dock) Shirk, both natives of Virginia and of German descent. This union has resulted in five children, viz., Anna, Eva, Artie F., Willie C. and Hollie. Anna, the oldest, is the wife of William Lattimore, son of Francis and Minta Lattimore. Mr. and Mrs. Hisey are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Hisey has resided in this county since March of 1880. In politics, he is a Republican, and is one of the useful citizens of Dudley Township. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 898]
PETER LAME, farmer, P. O. Mount Victory, was born October 24, 1827, in Clark County, this State, and is the son of John and Anne (Webb) Lame, who were natives of New Jersey, but moved to this State over sixty years ago. The subject of this sketch was educated in Union County, Ohio, and is a farmer by occupation. He owns seventy-five acres of land, and has resided in this county for twenty-one years. He was united in marriage January 6, 1846, in Union County, by Squire Bosen, to Matilda Grapan,. born February 28, 1824, in Union County, and daughter of Thomas and Jemima (Conklin) Grapan. Her father is a native of York State, of English descent, her mother being a native of Greene County, this State. By this union there have been five children-Silba Ann (deceased), Mary, Byron (deceased), Jemima and Wilson (deceased). Mr. Lame enlisted in the One Hundred and Seventy-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, September 16, 1864, and was discharged June 8, 1865. He was in the battle of Nashville, Tenn., in which he acted as guard. Mr. Lame and his wife are member of the Christian Church, in which the former has filled the positions of Trustee, Treasurer and Sunday School Superintendent. He has been Township Trustee. In politics, is a Republican, and is an intelligent, energetic farmer of Dudley Township. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 901]
WILLIAM MCCRARY, deceased, was born August 15, 1823, and is a son of Alexander and Mary (Summers) McCrary, natives of this State, the former of Irish descent. The subject of this sketch was reared in Logan County from the age of two years, and came to this county in 1858; for his occupation he followed farming. He was married September 20, 1856, to Prudence, born May 25, 1836, in this county, and a daughter of William and Martha Ann (Brown) Gibson, the former a Quaker and a native of New Jersey, the latter a native of Virginia. This union resulted in thirteen children, seven boys and six girls, viz., La Fayette, Mary Ann, Martha, William Alexander (deceased), Maggie, Jubis (deceased), Sarah Elizabeth (deceased), Bulia, Millie A., John, Thomas and Henry (twins) and Walter (deceased). Mr. McCrary died September 14, 1880, deeply mourned by his family. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 902]
NATHAN AHLEFELD, Kenton, was born, December 19, 1833, and is a son of Rhinehardt and Phoebe (Young) Ahlefeld. His father was a native of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and emigrated to the United States in 1800, living for seven years in Baltimore, In 1808, he moved to Richland County, Ohio, where he was married, and then proceeded to Allen County in 1849. In 1859, he came to Hardin County, selecting his home in Liberty Township, where, he died in 1871. Mrs. Ahlefeld was a native of Columbiana County, Ohio, and a daughter of Jacob Young, one of the early pioneers of Richland County. She reared a family of seven children all living. The subject of this sketch was brought up on a farm. He and his brother, Peter, and William Cary, of Kenton, were the original founders of the Citizens' Bank of Ada, founded in the year 1873. He was engaged in this bank until 1878, when he disposed of his interest to his brother and. in the spring of 1881, took up his residence in Kenton. In 1856, he was married to Miss Celia Wiley, a native of Franklin County, Ohio, to which union there have been born five children, four living, viz., Ida (wife of John F. Andrews, Hardin County), Albert, Effie and Corena. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 759]
JOHN BAKER, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Hagerstown, Md., in 1840. He is a son of E. C. Baker and Barbara Poont, both natives of Hesse-Darmstadt. Germany. They were married in Maryland, whence they emigrated in 1847, settling in Pleasant Township, Hardin County. In 1852, Mr. Baker, Sr., occupied the farm now owned by our subject, where he died in 1862; his widow is also deceased. The subject of this sketch is the oldest of seven children, and has always lived on the home farm. He was married, in 1873. to Miss Margaret Reefer, a native of Germany, to which union there have been born two sons-George A. and Harry (deceased). Mr. Baker's father was a miller, following that occupation continuously through life. In his political sentiments, he was a Democrat.Our subject enlisted, in 1865, in the One Hundred and Ninety-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company B, but the war closed soon after and he was discharged. He is connected with the Protestant Evangelical Church. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 760]
SAMUEL CAMPBELL (deceased) was born in Frederick County, Va., September 15, 1800. He is a son of John and Elsie (Dunlap) Campbell, the former a native of Lancaster County, Penn., the latter of Loudoun County, Va. Mr. Campbell grew to manhood in his native county, and there married, in March, 1830, Miss Mary Moulden, a native of England. This union produced three children, viz., John, Sarah and Dorathy, the latter being the only survivor. About 1833, he removed to Fairfield County, Ohio, and two years later purchased a building lot on Franklin street, in Kenton, settling there in 1838. Soon after, Mrs. Campbell died-in September. 1838--and, on March 28, 1839, he was again married, to Miss Matilda Alexander. She was born March 23, 1808, and died without issue September 13, 1857. She was the mother of three children by her first marriage, all of whom survive. Mr. Campbell was again married, December 15, 1857, to Catherine Curry, who was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., January 3, 1810, and died without issue June 30, 1876. Mr. Campbell was a shoe-maker by trade, applying himself closely to it all his life. He was an enthusiastic supporter of the Democratic party, and cast his first vote for Gen. Jackson. He was prominently identified in various local offices of trust, and was connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church since his twenty-first year. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg. 764]
WILLIAM CLOSE, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born in Washington County, Penn., in 1805, and is a son of Phillip and Betsy (Moore) Close. His parents are both Virginians by birth and came at an early time to Marion County, Ohio, where they both died. They reared a family of ten children, four of whom survive. The subject of this sketch left Marion County, moving to Carroll County; thence came to Hardin County in 1855, settling on his present farm of 328 acres, the greater part of which he has cleared. In 1831, he was married, in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, to Miss Margaret Farber, who died leaving a family of eight children. all living viz., Wesley M., residing in Dunkirk, Ohio; Isabel, wife of John Wall. Hardin County; John; Phoebe, wife of Julius Schoonover, Hardin County; Elizabeth, wife of Alice Charlton: Harriet, wife of Mr. Murphy, of Marysville, Ohio, Jane, wife of John Garlett, of Hardin County, and Arkinson, residing in Crawford County, Ohio. For his second wife, Mr. Close married Nancy Powell. a native of Columbiana County, Ohio, by which union there has been no issue. He and his family are connected with the United Brethren Church. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 771]
GEORGE HILL, farmer, P. O. Kenton, was born on the homestead his father in Section 25, Pleasant Township, Hardin County, Ohio, June 27, 1854. His father, Nicholas Hill, was born in Germany in 1808; emigrated to this country, landing at Baltimore in 1833. He entered the land our subject now occupies in the year 1836. The mother of our subject Elizabeth (Rosenbacher) Hill, was also a native of Germany, born in 1817. They had eight children, viz., Margaret, Daniel (deceased), Elizabeth (deceased), Martin (deceased), Mary, Mena (deceased). George and John. Mrs. Hill died on the home farm in February, 1876. aged fifty-seven yeas followed by her husband in April, 1883, aged seventy-five years. The latter was well known by all the pioneers of Hardin County, and was honored and respected by all. The two surviving sons, George and John, still live on the homestead, which comprises 120 acres of fine, well-cultivated land. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 785]
CHARLES ANSLEY, farmer, P. O. Ridgeway, was born in Kentucky August 4, 1814. His parents. William and Mary Ansley, moved from their native State, Maryland, to Kentucky, and from there emigrated to Ohio in 1835, settling in Logan County, where they spent the remainder of their live. They were interred in the Rush Creek Cemetery of that county. William Ansley pursued farming for his occupation. The subject of this sketch was married, September 1, 1836, to Mary, daughter of Charles and Eliza Spencer, the former deceased. She was born in Maryland January 29, 1815, and is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Ansley owned ninety acres of land in Logan County, Ohio, which he sold, coming to Hardin County in 1856 and settling in Hale Township, where he purchased 205 acres of land. He sold ninety-seven acres to his son, and has since added, and now owns 345 acres, most of which is improved. He also takes an interest in the breeding of cattle. To Mr. and Mrs. Ansley have been born six children, of whom five are living, viz., James R., George W., Mary J., Charles T. and Lida E.; Joan (deceased) was born June 18, 1837, died June 8, 1851. Since coming to Hardin County, Mr. Ansley has been very successful in his business.
[Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 931]
George W. Corwin
GEORGE W. CORWIN, farmer, P. O. Ridgeway, was born in Logan County, Ohio, July 10, 1831, and is a son of Daniel and Nancy Corwin. His parents emigrated, in about 1827, from their native State to Pennsylvania, coming to Logan County, Ohio, where they lived until 1843, making a final move to Hardin County. Mrs. Corwin died in May, 1851, and for his second wife, Mr. Corwin married Mary Ann Bruce, and removed Missouri, where his wife died in 1882. He is still living, and has been engaged in farming through life. The subject of this sketch was married May 3, 1852, to Rose J., daughter of James and Elizabeth Eddy, both deceased. She was born in Logan County, Ohio, May 7, 1833. Her father died January 12, 1857, followed by her mother March 26, 1868. Mr. and Mrs. Corwin are members of the Christian Church. They are the parents of nine children, of whom seven are living, viz., James D., Charles, Elizabeth S., George A., Jeannette, Anna B. and Harley. The deceased are Leander, born January 1, 1866, died January 9, 1879, and an unnamed infant. When Mr. Corwin first started in life, he rented land, on which he farmed for six years and then purchased thirty-five acres of land where he resides, and to which he has added until he now owns sixty-eight acres of improved land. In 1876, he engaged in the manufacture of the(?), but has lately sold out his interest. He has filled the office of School Director for three years. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 933]
Peter S. Hove
PETER S. HOVE, merchant, Mount Victory, was born in Athens County, Ohio, October 1, 1822, and is a son of Sylvanus and Abigail Howe. His father died in Wyandot County, Ohio, in 1875, having been preceded by his wife in Athens County in 1862. The subject of this sketch was married, in May, 1854, to Rachel P. Owen. She was born in Athens County, Ohio, July 14, 1828. To this union four children have been born --Albert E., Mary E. (wife of Thomas B. Samson), Abigail K. (wife of C. E. Parry) and Maud. Mr. Howe has been engaged in banking and merchandising all his life, and at present owns one of the leading dry goods stores in Mount Victory. He has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for thirty-five year, and has filled the office of Treasurer of Bale Township for twelve years. [Source: "The History of Hardin County, OH, Containing:A History of the Co...", WARNER, BEERS & CO.1883 - pg 938]
William Alvin Belt
WILLIAM ALVIN BELT, M. D., though one of the youngest physicians and surgeons of Hardin County, already commands a large and increasing field of practice, and skillfully handles the cases entrusted to his care. In the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, from which he was graduated in 1886, he gained a thorough theoretical knowledge of his profession, which has since been supplemented by actual experience. He came to Kenton soon after graduating, and has since made his home in this city, where he has attained a reputation for skill that many older practitioners might justly envy.
Born in Wapakoneta, Auglaize County, Ohio, April 23, 1863, the Doctor is the eldest son of Rev. Leroy A. Belt, D.D., a prominent Methodist minister, a sketch of whose life and work will be found in this volume. Being the son of a Methodist minister, he had no permanent home, but the principal part of his early literary education was received in Toledo, where his father was at one time Presiding Elder and pastor of the First Church. When seventeen years of age, he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, and was graduated from that institution in 1884, with the degree of B. S., and has since received the honorary degree of A. M.
During his collegiate course, our subject studied medicine with Dr. S. W. Fowler, and after finishing the work at the university, he entered the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, from which, as above stated, he was graduated in 1886. Soon afterward he located at Kenton and commenced the practice of his chosen profession. Here he was soon recognized as one of the young physicians destined to make his mark in the profession. Having gained the confidence of the people, he has built up a remunerative general practice, and has had marked success in his specialty, the diseases of women.
Socially, Dr. Belt is a member of the Northwestern Ohio Medical Association, the Ohio State Medical Association and the American Medical Society. During his college life he was prominently connected with the Phi Gamma Delta, the college journal, of which he was manager for two years, and editor for one year, acquitting himself with credit in both positions. He is one of the leading Masons in the state and is considered one of the best posted members of the fraternity. At one time he held the office of Master of the blue lodge at Kenton, and is now the Grand Lecturer of the Tenth District of Ohio, and High Priest of Kenton Chapter No. 119. In the Order of Elks he is serving as Secretary. Interested in religious work, he is the present Secretary of the Board of Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was a Secretary of the building committee for the new church at Kenton, which is one of the finest edifices in central Ohio.
The marriage of Dr. Belt, September 22, 1887, united him with Miss Alba F. Webster, daughter of Rev. L. C. Webster, a Methodist minister, who at the time was stationed in Kenton as Presiding Elder of the Findlay District, but is now a resident of Marysville, Ohio. They have two children, Lorin Leroy and Rachel Angelina. The Doctor and his wife are popular in social circles, and number as their friends the best people of the county. ["Portrait & Biographical Record of Marion and Hardin counties, Ohio" pg. 197-98; Chapman Publishing Co., 1895]
Rev. Jacob Pister
REV. JACOB PISTER is minister in charge of St. John's Evangelical Church of Kenton, and is a young man of great promise. In 1887 he entered the theological college at St. Louis, Mo., and at the end of three years graduated, in June, 1890. He was still too young to be ordained as a minister, and had to wait until after his twenty-first birthday. His ordination was celebrated November 16, 1890, in Cincinnati, and in the next month he was assigned to take charge of the church in Ripley, Brown County, Ohio. There he remained for three and a half years, when, February 18, 1894, he was called to his present congregation. Like his father, he has had great success in building up weak and discouraged congregations. Though he has been in this city but a very short time, his work here has been remarkable, for he has strengthened the weak congregation and infused new life into every department of its activity.
The birth of Jacob Pister occurred in Baltimore, Md., November 20, 1869, his parents being Jacob, Sr., and Dorothy (Fangmeyer) Pister, who were married in Baltimore, February 16, 1869. The father was born in Hassloch, Rhenish Bavaria, March 27, 1843, and had just completed his studies in the universities of Tuebingen and Erlangen when the German-Austrian War of 1866 broke out, and to evade military service he emigrated to the United States. His parents were very poor and had a large family. In order to obtain money for his education he taught Latin, and was also helped by several German and Russian noblemen, with whom he was a great favorite. Physically he was the finest specimen of manhood in the college, and was so fine an athlete that he was but once challenged to a duel, according to the custom of German colleges. With a number of his friends of the nobility he once called on the present King of Roumania, who gave them a royal welcome and a feast. Many of his colleagues are now members of the German Reichstag. His parents were John and Anna (Link) Pister, the former of whom was left an orphan and later learned the wagon-maker's trade. His ancestors were among the unfortunate people whose lands were invaded by Louis XIV of France, and who suffered on account of their Protestant faith.
From the time he was six until fourteen years of age, Jacob Pister, Sr., walked four miles from his home to the school at Neustadt. The next five years he was a student in the gymnasium of Speier, after which he entered the universities before mentioned, and graduated under some of the most learned theologians of the day, among them being Hertzog, Delitzsch and Beck. After the young man had been ordained for the ministry, he was summoned for military service, but having some difficulty with a brutal lieutenant, he returned home on a leave of absence and at once sailed for America. From New York he walked to Philadelphia, where he found himself on Saturday night penniless. He applied to Dr. F. Wiehlein his need. The minister was a very reserved man, and wishing to see for himself what kind of a young man he was, told him that he could occupy the pulpit on the following day. The stranger was thoroughly frightened, and though he trembled like a leaf, went through with the ceremonies as best he could. He pleased the old Doctor, who said, "You are the kind of a young man I want; I have a place for you." The next day he was sent to Baltimore and was given charge of a weak congregation on Calvert Street. Under his jurisdiction the church prospered, and a new house of worship and a school were soon erected. Mr. Pister was Superintendent of the school, which finally had three hundred pupils and seven teachers. He was stationed there for seven years, and in the mean time was married, in 1869. In the spring of 1872 he returned on a six-months visit to Germany. On his return to Baltimore he resumed his work, and in 1873 resigned from the Reformed Synod, subsequently becoming a member of the German Evangelical Synod of North America. He accepted a call about that time from the St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Baltimore, and four years later was installed as pastor of the Evangelical Church on Trinity Street, in the same city. When four years had elapsed he assumed the pastorate of St. Matthew's Evangelical Church in Cincinnati, Ohio. There he remained for nine years, since which time he has officiated at Philippes' Evangelical Church, at the corner
of Race Street and McMicken Avenue.
The mother of Jacob Pister, Jr., was a daughter of John Fangmeyer, and was left motherless when only one year old. She was born in Baltimore, July 4, 1849, and was married in her twentieth year. Her father was a Hour merchant and successful business man of Baltimore. Fourteen children were born to Jacob Pister, Sr., and wife, the eldest of whom is the subject of this narrative, and the others as follows: William; Dorothy, who was born while the family was visiting in Germany; Adelheid, who died in infancy; Charles; Arthur and Eugene, deceased; Rosalie; Robert; Ottilie, who died in her eleventh year; Talitha; Herbert; Erwin; and Walter, who died in infancy. The mother departed this life December 7, 1893.
From his fourth until his sixth year, our subject attended a kindergarten in Baltimore, and then entered Scheib's private school, where he pursued his studies until the family moved to Cincinnati, in the year 1881. There he graduated from the grammar school, and at once entered the preparatory college at Elmhurst, Ill. He skipped two classes and graduated in three years, in 1886. He was not allowed to enter the theological seminary on account of his extreme youth, and for the next year devoted his time almost entirely to music. As an organist he displays great ability, and it is his particular delight to sit down to a grand pipe organ, from which he can evoke wonderful strains of melody.
August 2, 1891 occurred the marriage of Jacob Pister and Paulina, daughter of Charles and Sybilla (Elitzer) Guckenberger, who were married in Cincinnati in 1854. Mrs. Pister was born in that city February 17, 1869, being the eighth in a family of ten children. One of her brothers, George, is President of the Atlas National Bank of Cincinnati, of which her brother William is Cashier. Benjamin, another brother, is Professor in the Cincinnati College of Music, having charge of piano instruction, while his wife is a teacher of vocal music. William, a brother of our subject, is Assistant Corporation Counsel of the same city. To Mr. and Mrs. Pister were born four sons, two of whom died in infancy. Francis Harold was born November 14, 1893, in Ripley, Ohio; and Louis Vernon February 7, 1895, in Kenton. In his political relations our subject is a Republican.
Rev. Mr. Pister has charge of two churches, one in the city and the other in the country, both belonging to the same parish. Since coming here, the increase in membership in the churches has reached two hundred. The country congregation recently completed a fine edifice, and the congregation at Kenton expects soon to place a $2,000 pipe organ in their church. The latter congregation gave Mr. Pister a victoria phaeton as a token of esteem, while the country church presented him with a fine horse. Not only is he esteemed and appreciated by his parishioners, but also by all with whom he is thrown in contact, and his earnest nature impresses itself upon his associates, winning their recognition and approval. [Source: "Portrait & Biographical Record of Marion and Hardin counties, Ohio"; pg. 204-05; Chapman Publishing Co., 1895]
Albert G. Ahlefeld
Albert G. Ahlefeld was born at Ada, Ohio, June 25, 1859, where he lived until about twenty-one years of age, coming to Kenton in 1888, where he has since resided. He is the son of the late Nathan Ahlefeld and Celia (Wiley) Ahlefeld, the former born in Richland county December 16, 1834, and the latter in Worthington, Ohio, June 10, 1838.
Reinhart Ahlefeld was the founder of the family in America, coming to Richland county from the northern part of Germany about 1818. His ancestors were natives of Denmark who went to Germany about the sixteenth century. Reinhart Ahlefeld possessed a good German education and was a miller by trade. In Richland county he operated a mill and also carried on farming. He married Phoebe Young of Richland county who was of German descent, and all their children were born there. About 1849 he moved by wagon to Allen county, Ohio, afterwards coming to Hardin county and settling on a farm near Ada where he died at the age of seventy-six. To Reinhart and Phoebe (Young) Ahlefeld the following children were born: Christina Ahlefeld Moore, who lived after her marriage in Allen county and died there at the age of seventy-six; Martha Ahlefeld Melhorn who always resided in Hardin county after her marriage and died several years ago at Ada at the age of seventy-six; -Nancy Ahlefeld Gilbert who lives in Burlington, Kansas; Sarah Ahlefeld Rockhill who lives in LeRoy, Kansas; Nathan Ahlefeld who lived in Ada and Kenton and died at Kenton July 9, 1902; and Peter and Jacob Ahlefeld, the former living in Cleveland, Ohio, and the latter in LeRoy, Kansas. Nathan Ahlefeld was the father of our subject and he came to Hardin county about 1849 with his parents where he ever afterwards resided till his death. He was educated in the common schools, and began his business career by working in a store in Ada.
Afterwards he became a merchant, and also dealt in real estate and carried on farming. Nathan Ahlefeld was an active, enterprising, shrewd business man who was identified with many enterprises. His active mind seemed to grasp quickly the possibilities of any plan, and all his life he was singularly successful in his many undertakings. Solely by his own efforts he built up a comfortable fortune, and until the day of his death was interested in everything that helped the welfare of his native county. Though an ardent Democrat Mr. Ahlefeld did not aspire to hold office, serving his county but once in public capacity, that of county auditor in 1871. Governor James E. Campbell appointed him a member of the board of managers of the Ohio Penitentiary during his term of office, and Mr. Ahlefeld attended to the duties of this office, as he did everything else in his business career, well and faithfully. He moved to Kenton in 1881 and thereafter was a prime mover in many of the county seat's most prominent industries. He was married in Worthington, Ohio, June 18, 1856, to Miss Celia E. Wiley, and to them the following children were born: Ida Ahlefeld, who married J. F. Andrews and lives in Kenton, Ohio ; Albert G,, the subject of this sketch; Effie L. Ahlefeld, who married J. B. Andrews and lives in Goshen, Indiana; Anna who died at Ada, Ohio, aged two years; and Corrinne Ahlefeld who is the wife of Curran Flanagan the editor of the Kenton Democrat. Mrs. Celia (Wiley) Ahlefeld is of Welsh descent, the founder of her family in America being Samuel Wiley who moved from Wales to Snowhill, Maryland about the year 1765 and became a Revolutionary soldier. His wife was of Spanish descent and they had several children. One of these, Dr. Isaac Wiley, the father of Mrs. Ahlefeld, located in Worthington, Ohio, and there practiced his profession many years. Dr. Isaac Wiley married Eliza Lewis in Worthington, Ohio. He died at the advanced age of eighty-two at the residence of his son-in-law, Nathan Ahlefeld, in Ada, Ohio. Upon coming to Kenton Nathan Ahlefeld built a handsome and substantial residence on North Detroit street, and engaged in farming and the real estate and banking business. He died July 9, 1902. His widow survives, and lives in the homestead with her daughter Mrs. J. F. Andrews.
Albert G. Ahlefeld was educated in the public schools of Ada, and spent two years at the Brothers' School, a Catholic Institution of Dayton, Ohio. For some years he engaged in farming near Ada, but afterwards moved to Kenton where he now has many business interests. He was associated with his father in the real estate business during the life of the latter, and now conducts a loan and real estate office in partnership with Mr. J. F. Andrews. Under the second administration of Cleveland he was postmaster of Kenton, and this is the only office to which he has ever aspired, though an active Democrat and interested in local and national political issues. He was appointed postmaster April 1, 1894 and served four years in this capacity. In 1904 he helped organize the Crystal Ice and Cold Storage Company, one of the most flourishing of Kenton's enterprises, and is at present vice president of the company and one of the directors. He was one of the organizers of the Scioto Sign Company and was for some years a director in this concern. In July, 1904 he helped organize the Commercial Bank of Kenton and he is now vice president of this institution and one of the directors. In the same year that the bank was organized he built the handsome, pressed brick building at the southeast corner of Detroit and Franklin streets which bears his name and in which his offices are located. In 1905 and 1906 he was president of the Kenton Commercial Club, and has always been interested in everything that pertains to the advancement of Kenton. And all the time he has been engaged in farming, owning large holdings in real estate in Hardin county.
Albert G. Ahlefeld was married in Kenton, Ohio, September 18, 1884, to Florence Ries, daughter of John and Katherine (Ichler) Ries. Mrs. Ahlefeld is a graduate of the Kenton public schools. Mr. and Mrs. Ahlefeld have two children: Katherine and Allan N. Another son, Nathan, was born August 25, 1887, and died April 28, 1892, at Kenton, Ohio. Miss Katherine Ahlefeld was educated in the Kenton public schools and spent three years at Notre Dame, Indiana, a celebrated school for young ladies. She also studied music in Philadelphia and Washington D. C, spending a year in each of these cities. Master Allan Neal is a student in the public schools of Kenton at present. Miss Katherine is a member of the English Lutheran church. Mrs. Ahlefeld is connected with the First Methodist Episcopal church of Kenton, and the family is prominent in social circles. Mr. Ahlefeld is a thirty-second degree Mason and an Elk. He and his family live in a beautiful modern residence on North Detroit street and are among the most prominent of the city's influential and respected residents [Source: "A Twentieth Century History of Hardin Co, Ohio" Lewis Publishing Co; Chicago, Ill - 1910]
John Dille, a successful farmer of Hale township, Hardin county, was born April 28, 1864, on the old Dille homestead, and is a son of William and Mary (Curl) Dille. William Dille, who was also born on the homestead, was a son of Cyrus Dille, who came from Pennsylvania and settled in Hale township in 1843. He took up a farm of six hundred acres in what is now within the corporation of Mount Victory. The place was then a forest but he cleared a small space where he erected a log cabin without roof or door, planted pumpkins, corn and beans, and returned to Pennsylvania for his family. Upon his return to the Ohio home he found the Indians had gathered his crop and stored it in his cabin. He never had any trouble with the Indians, being always friendly with them, giving and receiving favors. Cyrus Dille was a Whig but became a Republican upon the inception of that party. He married Susan Blair and there were nine children in their family. Mrs. Dille died in 1889, at the age of eighty-two, but her husband died in 1849, at the age of fifty-five. After the death of his father William Dille remained on the homestead with his mother until his marriage. In 1860 he moved to the farm now occupied by his son, and lived in a log cabin until the present home was built. He farmed one hundred acres which he inherited from his father, and here he lived until his death in 1872, at the age of fifty-two.
He married Mary Curl and they had eleven children. She was a daughter of Elihu and Margaret (Reams) Curl of Mount Victory. They were pioneers of this county, and in 1850 Elihu Curl owned a hotel at Mount Victory. He was a carpenter by trade. Mrs. William Dille died in 1894, aged sixty-five years. Three of her children are living: John of this sketch; Ross, a farmer of Huntsville, Ohio ; and Elizabeth, wife of J. McGinnis.
John Dille received his education in the public schools, and then worked for his father on the farm until the time of his marriage. He then began farming the old homestead, where he has since continued with splendid success. He is an enterprising, wide-awake farmer, who makes the most of his opportunities. Politically he is a Republican and actively interested in public affairs, now holding the office of township trustee. In 1886 he married Delia, daughter of F. W. and Rose (Reynold) Summers, retired farmers of Hale township. Mrs. Dille was born April 28, 1867. The following children have been born to John Dille and wife: William, born in 1887; Amy Lanora, in 1888, living at home; Myrtle R., born in 1891; Mary Rose, in 1894; and John Erwin, in 1902. William, who lives with his father and assists in carrying on the home farm, married Flora, daughter of George and Mary (Harple) Battles, and they have one child, Oren. [Source: A Twentieth Century History of Hardin County - pgs 458-59 by Minnie Ichler Kohler; Lewis Pub. Co; Chicago, Ill - 1910]
Irvin H. Harvey
Irvin H. Harvey, a successful farmer and a member of a family that is well known in Hardin county, was born on the homestead in Dudley township. September 23, 1862, and is a son of Alonzo and Rachel (Ballinger) Harvey. Alonzo Harvey was a native of Vermont, born in August. 1819, in Woodbury, and when a young man he engaged in
teaching school. He moved to Ohio and there taught during the winters and worked on a farm during the summers until his marriage, July 7, 1844, when he settled in North Greenfield, Logan county. Six years later he removed to a farm near West Mansfield and for ten years was engaged in brick making as well as farming. In 1859 Mr. Harvey located in Mount Victory, where he lived a year while he was clearing his farm, and in 1860 he settled on his land. He became a successful farmer, and in 1879 retired from his farm and moved to Kenton, where he and his son opened a general store. Two years later the father sold his interest and retired from active life. Mr. Harvey was an earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal church and an active worker for its interests. For many years he was engaged in selling family Bibles, and in this connection became well known in Hardin county. He was a Republican and served some time as a justice of the peace, two terms in Logan county and two terms in Dudley township, Hardin county.
The wife of Alonzo Harvey was born September 15, 1823, in Logan county, Ohio, daughter of Caleb and Mary (Branson) Ballinger who came to Ohio from Virginia. Mrs. Ballinger died September 21, 1905. Caleb Ballinger was a local preacher of the Methodist church in Logan county, Ohio. Mr. Harvey and his wife had six children, namely: Irvin H.; W. N., a carpenter of Rushsylvania, Ohio; and Mary, widow of G. L. Thompson, of Mount Victory, Ohio, who has six children, five sons and one daughter. Isaac N., J. O. and T. M. were the three oldest of the children.
Irvin H. Harvey received his education in the public schools and spent his childhood on a farm. After completing his education he worked some time on a farm for a neighbor, and when his father purchased a half-interest in a store at Kenton he worked there as clerk five years. He sold his interest in the store and secured for the same one hundred and sixty acres of land in Indiana, which he later sold and then spent four years on a farm in Dudley township, after which he located on his present farm in Hale township. Mr. Harvey carries on general farming and raises some stock. He is enterprising and ambitious, and in his dealings with his fellows has proven himself to be a man of high character and sterling honesty. Politically he is a Republican, takes an active interest in public affairs and served three years as assessor of Hale township. He is a devout member of the Christian church, as is also his wife.
On December 25, 1887, Mr. Harvey married Emma Curl, who was born November 19, 1866, daughter of Aaron and Rachel (Harpel) Curl. Mr. Curl is a prominent farmer of Hale township. Mr. Harvey and his wife have children as follows: Charles, born October 29, 1888; Ottie R., born March 22, 1891; Blanch M., born September 22, 1900; and Katie Agnes, born March 1, 1902. All are at home. Mr. Harvey is a life-long resident of the county, where he is well known and highly respected. [Source: pgs 459-60, "A Twentieth Century History of Hardin County", by Minnie Ichler Kohler; Lewis Pub. Co, Chicago, Ill., pub. 1910]
John Williams, a merchant of Ridgeway, Ohio, was born April 1, 1848, in Hale township, Hardin county, and is a son of Jonathan and Betsy Elizabeth (Snoddy) Williams. Jonathan Williams was born in North Carolina, in 1798, and came with his parents to Hillsboro, Ohio, with a team and wagon; later they removed to Logan county, Ohio. His father, John Williams, came to America from Wales, and followed farming all his life. Jonathan Williams took up farming after finishing his education, settling first in Logan county and later removing to Hardin county; in 1829 he purchased a farm of one hundred acres in Hale township, in 1840 returned to Logan county, and came back to Hardin county in 1851. His wife, a daughter of Abner and Margaret (Hall) Snoddy, died in 1870, at the age of sixty-one years. Besides John, their children were: Brice, living retired in Mount Victory; Wait, in the timber business in California; Hannah, widow of John Wildon; and Tillie, wife of A. J. Johnson of California. Jonathan Williams was a member of the Methodist Protestant church; in politics he was a Republican, and he was the first trustee elected in Hale township.
John Williams attended the public schools, and at the age of eighteen years took up farming with his father; he also operated a threshing machine and worked at teaming and similar occupations. Mr. Williams has been a resident of Ridgeway since 1865, and is one of the leading and most respected citizens. He is a Republican in politics, and in 1900 took the census of Hale township. In 1905 Mr. Williams opened a grocery, restaurant and bakery establishment, which he is still carrying on. On August 20, 1864, Mr. Williams enlisted in Company I. One Hundred and Eightieth Ohio Volunteers. He was sent to Tennessee under Schofield's army, in the Twenty-third Corps; he went to North Carolina and took part in the four days' battle at Kingston, and later was with Sherman's army until the surrender of Johnston. After Lee's surrender they were discharged, May 12, 1865, at Charlotte, North Carolina. Returning home, he took up his residence at Ridgeway, and is one of the oldest residents. He is a charter member of the local branch of the Grand Army of the Republic. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, and has passed through the chairs. He is a public-spirited citizen, and well known throughout the county where he has spent his entire life.
In 1873 Mr. Williams married Margaret, daughter of John and Sarah (Pierce) Davis; John Davis, a merchant of Ridgeway, is a native of Maryland. Mrs. Davis died January 9, 1895. Mr. Williams and his wife became the parents of children as follows; Emma, Raymond and Sallie. Emma, wife of J. S. Smith, lives with her father; they have three children. Martha, Kennon and Catherine, and their fourth child, Leo, was accidentally killed by a playmate with a pitchfork. Raymond is a railroad conductor and lives at Richmond, Indiana; he married Kate Gerlach and they have one child. Sallie, wife of George Grimes, a gardener of Harbor Springs, Michigan, has one child. [Source: pgs 462-63, "A Twentieth Century History of Hardin County" by Minnie Ichler Kohler, Lewis Pub. Co, Chicago, Ill., pub. 1910]
Jacob Sieg, now retired from active life and residing at Ridgeway, Ohio, was born in Hale township, Hardin county, September 2, 1843. He is a son of Jonathan H. Sieg, born in 1815, in Augusta county, Virginia, who was a son of Jacob Sieg, a native of Pennsylvania. Jacob Sieg, the grandfather, was born May 19, 1774. and died November 5, 1855; he married Lydia Haines, who was born January 8, 1793 and died in 1879. They moved to Logan County, Ohio, in 1828, and in 1836 settled in Taylor Creek township, Hardin county, and there built a log cabin; they cleared a woodland farm of one hundred and thirty acres. He was a member of the Presbyterian church and politically was a Democrat.
Jonathan H. Sieg remained with his parents until his marriage, January 12, 1837, to Lydia Hopkins, born in Logan county, Ohio, January 28, 1817, and still surviving, probably the oldest lady resident of Hardin county, and she still retains her mind and faculties. She is a daughter of Archibald Hopkins, a native of Delaware; he settled in Pickaway county, Ohio, in 1806. Archibald Hopkins was a soldier in the war of 1812; his parents were John and Martha Elsie Hopkins. Jonathan H. Sieg settled on a farm in Logan county, Ohio, after his marriage, and in 1840 settled in Hale township, Hardin county. In 1853 he removed to Ridgeway, where he died February 9, 1868; he was also engaged in the lumber business, and for five years carried on a dry goods business in Ridgeway. He sold out his store, but was engaged in the lumber trade until his death. His children were: Jacob; A. H. Sieg, of Butte, Montana; one son deceased; and Eliza I., widow of George F. Parrett, of Adams county, Ohio. Mr. Sieg was a member of the Christian church and politically was a Democrat until the breaking out of the rebellion, after which he was a Republican. He was elected to the legislature in 1861 and served two terms. He served many years as a justice of the peace. In 1862 he removed to Cincinnati and joined the "Squirrel Hunters," but on account of his age never saw active service.
Jacob Sieg received his education in the public school and afterward taught school; at the age of twenty he began farming with his father. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, Thirteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, joining the Army of the Cumberland. He participated in many battles and was wounded at Murfreesboro and sent home. He received his discharge in March, 1863. Returning to Ridgeway he engaged in teaching and farming, which he continued until 1873, when he began to carry on the home farm. From 1886 until 1891 he was one of the owners of the mill at Ridgeway, since which he has been retired from active business. He is one of the most highly respected and popular citizens of Ridgeway, and is actively interested in public affairs. Politically Mr. Sieg is a Republican, and from 1873 until 1904 served as a justice of the peace. He was mayor of Ridgeway three terms, and has frequently been clerk and a member of the school board. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic of Ridgeway, of which he is now adjutant. This post was named after his brother, Robert K. Robert K. Sieg was born in 1838, and in 1861 enlisted in the same company as his brother; he was first promoted to the rank of second lieutenant, was wounded while climbing Missionary Ridge, after which he was promoted to first lieutenant, and later captain. He is now deceased.
In 1875 Mr. Sieg married Victoria Crow, born November 23, 1857, in Wyandot county, Ohio, daughter of E. B. Crow, a physician still practicing his profession at Ridgeway. Mr. Crow married Isabel Hudson. Mr. Sieg and his wife became the parents of five children: two deceased; R. Carl, managing his father's farm, and is unmarried; Kate, born in 1886, is teaching school; and Laura is living at home, and is prominent in literary circles. [Source: pgs 463-64, "A Twentieth Century History of Hardin County" by Minnie Ichler Kohler, Lewis Pub. Co, Chicago, Ill., pub. 1910]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails