Among the worthy farmers of Hardin County, it is but just to say that Mr. Garwood occupies a conspicuous and honorable place, for he has always been honest, industrious and enterprising, and as a result he has met with more than ordinary success. He is a man well known in agricultural circles, and is recognized as a careful, energetic farmer, who by his advanced ideas has done much to improve the farming interests of Pleasant Township. Though with advancing years he has been obliged to abandon much of the manual labor in which he formerly engaged, he still maintains a general supervision of his estate, and its valuable improvements are due largely to his intelligent oversight.
Born near Zanesfield, Logan County, Ohio, September 26, 1819, the subject of this sketch is the son of Jesse and Sidney (Gregg) Garwood. His father, who was born in Crawford County, Pa., about 1785, was reared in the place of his birth, and after arriving at man's estate went to visit an uncle in Fayette County. There he married Miss Gregg about 1814, and after the birth of one child he brought his family to Ohio, in 1816, settling in Logan County, six miles east of Bellefontaine. In 1832 he moved to Wyandot County, making his home near Upper Sandusky for three years. Thence in 1835 he came to Hardin County and settled in Marion Township, but after ten or twelve years he moved to Henry County, where he died at the age of seventy-six. His life occupation was that of an agriculturist, in which he met with success. During the War of 1812 he rendered loyal service as a soldier, enlisting in Crawford County, Pa.
The paternal grandfather of our subject, Joseph Garwood, was born in Pennsylvania, probably in Fayette County. He was a skilled sportsman, and retained his mental vigor and physical strength to an advanced age. About 1824 he visited his son Jesse in Logan County, Ohio, and bought some land there, but never settled in this state. During the Indian War he served as Captain. His death occurred in Lake County, Ill., where he had moved. His body was taken to Pennsylvania for interment, and our subject has seen his grave when on a visit there. The lady whom he married was Miss Hannah Fenton. She accompanied her parents to this country, settling in Kentucky.
The great-grandfather of our subject, Obed Garwood, was a descendant of one of the three Garwoods who came from England to America in company with William Penn. The family for many generations was identified with the Society of Friends, and our subject's parents worshiped with the Quakers in Logan County. The mother of our subject was born in Fayette County, Pa., June 17, 1787, and died May 6, 1831. She was a daughter of Nimrod and Catherine (Johnson) Gregg, who spent their entire lives in Pennsylvania and there died. Of their family of eight children, Sidney was the next to the eldest.
The parental family numbered nine children, named as follows: Bani G., who died in Marion Township, Hardin County; Isaac, who died in Kansas about 1883; Fenton; Acenith, who died in Iowa; Hannah, a resident of Ada, Ohio; Joseph, who passed away in Minnesota; Lydia, wife of Jacob Snyder, of Iowa; Catherine, widow of James Williams, and a resident of Ada, Ohio; and Cynthia, wife of Havilla Bowles, a veteran of the Civil War.
In youth our subject attended school in Logan County. At the age of sixteen he accompanied his parents to Upper Sandusky, where he worked on a farm until twenty-three years of age. After his marriage he began farming upon an eighty acre tract belonging to his father, and situated in Marion Township, Hardin County. Six or seven years were spent on that place, and he then moved to Iowa and purchased a farm sixteen miles above the city of Des Moines, on the river of that name. He engaged in tilling the soil there nine years, and in the summer of 1862 returned to Hardin County and bought a farm in Lynn Township. In 1874 he purchased the farm where he has since resided. This consisted originally of one hundred and sixty acres, but he has disposed of a portion of the property to his son, an intelligent and capable young farmer, who superintends the home place.
November 15, 1842, Mr. Garwood was united in marriage with Miss Mary Lyons, their wedding being solemnized in Marion Township. This estimable lady was the elder of two daughters born to William and Sarah (Garver) Lyons. She was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in June, 1825, and died in Lynn Township, Hardin County, February 16, 1873. In religious belief she was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in that faith she reared her children. In politics Mr. Garwood is a Republican, having supported the principles of that party since its organization. Among the local offices which he has filled are those of School Director and Supervisor.
The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Garwood resulted in the birth of eleven children. Sidney, a daughter, and the eldest of the family, died in infancy. Sarah Ann married Silas Rohr, of Holt County, Neb. Jesse passed from earth when an infant. Eucebia, Mrs. Joseph Kahley, lives in southwestern Iowa. Nancy, wife of Robert Bennett, makes her home in Lincoln County, S. Dak. William lives on a farm adjoining the old homestead. Sibyl is the wife of Henry Gordon, of Loup County, Neb. Usher, who was born January 19, 1857, is a successful agriculturist and assisting his father in the management of the home place; he married, January 21, 1886, Miss Minerva Obenour, who was born in Hardin County, Ohio, January 21, 1862. Lydia died in girlhood. Harriet is the wife of John Wass, of Lincoln County, S. Dak. Obed, the youngest of the family lives in Kenton. [Source: Pgs 435-6, "Portrait and Biographical record of Marion and Hardin Counties, Ohio", Chapman Publishing Co, 1895]
ZACCHEUS CESSNA, deceased, was one of the pioneers of Cessna Township, Hardin County, where he and his father settled about sixty years ago. After a well spent and very active life, he was called to the home beyond, October 2, 1893, and was buried in the Salem Cemetery, in this township. His memory is cherished in the hearts of scores of his old friends and neighbors, who remember him as a man of exemplary life and the utmost probity of conduct.
The Cessna family is of Scotch-Irish descent. The father of our subject, William, was born in Pennsylvania, January 10, 1777, and died June 13, 1857. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Keziah Davis, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., on the 13th of April, 1793, and died October 19, 1862. They were the parents of nine children, namely: James, Mary, John, William, George, Joseph, Zaccheus, Elizabeth and Keziah, of whom John is the only one known to be living.
After a sojourn of a few years in Holmes County, Ohio, Mr. Cessna started by team for Hardin County, in the fall of 1835, and established his home in Cessna Township, which was named in honor of Charles Cessna, a distant relative. He took up two hundred and forty acres from the Government, for which he paid the usual price of $1.25 per acre. In the midst of the thick forest he built a hewed-log house of one room, 20 x 24 feet in dimensions, and this structure is still standing, not far from the present homestead. The parents were cared for by our subject until they passed away.
Zaccheus Cessna was born in Holmes County, Ohio, April 1, 1835, and was nine months old when the family came to Hardin County. He grew to manhood on the farm owned by his father, and at the age of eighteen years assumed charge of the place, which he purchased some seven years later, industriously cultivating and developing the same until his death.
October 17, 1860, Mr. Cessna married Mary M. Hagerman, who was born in Dekalb Richland County, Ohio, April 6, 1842. Mrs. Cessna is a daughter of Rev. Samuel and Elizabeth (Hiles) Hagerman. Her father, who was a native of Carroll County, Ohio, went with his parents when quite young to Richland County, becoming one of its pioneers. About 1846 he settled in Marion Township, Hardin County, and engaged in farming, besides officiating as local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church. He passed to his reward August 30, 1884. His wife, who is a native of England, came to this country when twelve years old, and is now making her home in Dunkirk, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Hagerman had thirteen children, nine of whom are still living.
The marriage of our subject and his wife was blessed with thirteen children, nine of whom are living, as follows: Keziah, wife of Thomas Burnison, a mechanic of Kenton; Ida, Mrs. Adam Smith, of Cessna Township; William; Mary, Mrs. Elmer Kaylor; Lulu, Clarence, George, Martha and Alphonso. Wesley is deceased, and three infants died unnamed. Religiously Mr. Cessna was identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which his wife also belongs.
Until the breaking out of the Rebellion, our subject was a Democrat, but at that time he became a supporter of the Republican party and a stanch advocate of the Union. In 1863 he enlisted in the National Guards and was mustered into the regular service at Kenton, May 2, 1864. He was first sent to Columbus, from there to Virginia, and participated in the engagement at Harper's Ferry and in many others of minor note. September 5, 1864, he was honorably discharged from the army. For years he was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He received a pension of $12 per month, and since his death his widow has received $8 per month. [Source: Pgs 333-34, "Portrait and Biographical record of Marion and Hardin Counties, Ohio", Chapman Publishing Co, 1895]
John L. Krout
This respected resident of Hardin County is distinguished as one of the veterans of the late war, as well as a prosperous agriculturist of Jackson Township, his fine estate being located on section 6. He is a native of Maryland, and was born in Baltimore County, December 6, 1832. His parents soon after his birth removed to York County, Pa., where John L. grew to manhood, trained in the work of a farmer. His father, who also bore the name of John, in addition to his estate owned a paper-mill, and here also our subject received a practical education. He later carried on a mercantile trade in Stewartstown, York County, but after four years' experience in this line, found farming a more prosperous occupation, and hence returned to the old place.
In the year 1862 our subject came to Hancock County, this state, and on the outbreak of the Civil War was living in Delaware Township, near Mt. Blanchard. In answer to the call for more volunteers, he offered his services and was mustered into Company D, Ninety-ninth Ohio Infantry, in August, 1862. His regiment was sent into Kentucky, joining the Army of the Cumberland, with which Mr. Krout remained for nine months, when he was honorably discharged on account of failing health.
After his experience as a Union soldier, our subject again returned to his farm in Hancock County, and there made his home until 1887. His property there included two hundred and twenty-three acres of land, the greater part of which he improved himself. He made a specialty of breeding Shorthorn cattle, and in the sale of these animals he reaped a handsome profit. In the above year he rented his farm there and came to Hardin County. Here until recently he continued to raise Shorthorn cattle on his estate of two hundred acres. It is conveniently located near the village of Forest, and since Mr. Krout has erected a fine dwelling thereon it is one of the most attractive in the township.
February 20, 1861, our subject was married to Miss Mary Free, of York County, Pa. Her parents, Peter and Naomi (Lowe) Free, were natives of Maryland, and moved to New Freedom, York County, Pa., where they lived until their deaths. Our subject and his wife have three sons, viz.: Frank, residing on the farm in Hancock County; William A., employed in the Forest City Flouring-mill; and Edwin R., attending school. Mr. Krout has always been a stanch Republican in politics, and at all times uses his influence in advancing its cause. While in Hancock County he served as Trustee of his township, faithfully discharging his duties, although he had no predilection for public life. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was the first Class Leader of the church near his home. As a matter of course, he belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic, and is connected with Stanley Post No. 283, of Forest. [Source: Pgs 342, "Portrait and Biographical record of Marion and Hardin Counties, Ohio", Chapman Publishing Co, 1895]
William Howard Miller
MILLER, William Howard; born in (Hardin Co), Ohio son of John and Genova (Poe) Miller; educated in public schools and at Geneva (Ohio) College. Married at Bellefontaine, Ohio, Fannie Canby. Began active career as traveling salesman for Fred Buhl & Co. Has been engaged in business for himself in Detroit, since 1888 (Wm. H. Miller Co.). Director Detroit Salt Co, Detroit Stoker and Foundry Co. Republican. Congregationalist. member Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Boat, Automobile. Recreation: Traveling. Office: State and Rowland Sts. Residence: 961 Cass Av. [Source: "The Book of Detroiters". Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis; pub.1908 - CW - Sub by FoFG]
Julius R. Neubert
JULIUS R. NEUBERT, farmer, P. O. Ada, was born in Saxony, February 22, 1827, and is the son of Christian and Johanna Sophia (Richter) Neubert. He was raised on a farm and educated in the common schools of Saxony, and came to this country in 1854. The following year, on April 1, 1855, he was married to Amanda Ream, of Stark County, Ohio, who was born June 5, 1836. To this union there have been born ten children, as follows: Harmon August, born March 21, 1856; William, born November 22, 1857; Flora, born August 21, 1859; Edwin, born October 1, 1861; Ann Elizabeth, born October 23, 1863; Lydia Caroline, born June 15, 1866; Dora Margaret, born May 28, 1870; Amelia Celestia, born April 5, 1872; Sidonia Selomie, born March 9, 1874, and Mary Christina born October 12, 1877. Mr. Neubert came to Hardin County in 1879, and settled on his farm of eight acres in Section 4, Marion Township. He and his wife are members of the German Baptist Church. [Source: "1883 HISTORY OF HARDIN CO., OH", Chicago Warner, Beers & Co., pg. 952 - Sub. by William Ream]
Robert Neubert was the first of the name of Neubert to settle in Hardin County. Robert was born on February 22, 1827, in Dresden, Saxony. Dresden is now in East Germany. His father played the organ in one of Dresden's Cathedrals, which explains Robert's musical talent. He was also President of the University of Dresden. Robert graduated from that university and was well versed in six languages.
Saxony was a very aggressive country and everyone had to train for war. From his father's office window, Robert would watch the young boys marching and training. Robert did not want to go to war. In 1854, he and his friend, Bosse, were to be drafted. A Doctor friend gave both of them a report of a fake hernia at their physical, to get them out of the draft. They immediately boarded a ship for America. Between Neubert and Bosse they had only enough money for the passage and a crate. Robert started out in the crate then, when out to sea, Bosse let him out of the crate.
Arriving in America, Robert settled in New Stark, Washington Township, Hardin County. In 1878 Robert bought a farm east of Alger and Bosse bought a farm near Ada. Both have descendants living in those areas today.
Robert married Amanda Ream in 1855. She was born on June 5, 1836. They had ten children: Harmon-first wife was Harriot (sic) and second wife was Safrona (sic). Anna married Hamilton Dirmeyer, William married Theresa Reese, Flora married a Mr. Burley, Edward married Emma, Dora Margaret, born May 28, 1870, and married Emmet James on May 4, 1893, Saloma, born 1875, and married Jesse Shilling. And Mary married Ira Hughes.
Robert died in Toledo, Ohio on August 13, 1899. [Source: 1983 HISTORY OF HARDIN CO., OH., Hardin Co., Archeological and Historical Society, Helen James; Taylor Publishing Co., pg. 192 - Sub. by William Ream]
ELI TRUMP, farmer, P.O. Dunkirk, was born May 18, 1834, in Stark County, two miles northwest of Canton, Ohio. He is the son of Peter P. and Mary (Ream) Trump, both natives of Pennsylvania, and both born in the year 1803. John Trump, his grandfather, was a native of Pennsylvania, and moved to Ohio in 1812. The father of our subject is a pioneer of Stark County, where he is the oldest living man but one. By occupation he was a miller, and was the first white man to sell flour in Canton, and also the first owner of a spring wagon. He has always been the foremost man in the building of the town, was at the head of all enterprises and is now enjoying the fruits of his industry. Mr. Eli Trump was reared on a farm until fourteen years of age; is now, by occupation, a farmer, and controls 60 acres of land. He formed two marriages in his lifetime; the first was in the fall of 1858, with Clementine Park (deceased), and his second with Margaret Baughman, a native of Hancock County, Ohio, born April 16, 1851. To this union there have been six children, five living--M.E. (deceased), Ida E., Flora A., Rebecca J., Frank S. and Charles C. Mrs. Trump is a member of the German Reformed Church. Mr. Trump has filled the office of Township Trustee and is a useful citizen of Blanchard Township. [Source: 1883 HISTORY OF HARDIN CO., OH., Chicago: Warner, Beers & Co., pg. 889 - Sub. by William Ream]
BACK -- HOME
Copyright © Genealogy Trails