Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group

Highland County Ohio

line
Biographies
line


JOHN E. PELTON
John E. Pelson, of Montrose, (CO) receiver of the United States land office at that point, was born at Folsom, Ohio, in 1857, and is the son of Benjamin H. and Mary Dorothy (Harhar) Pelton, the former a native of that state and the latter of Pennsylvania.  The father was successfully engaged in farming in Ohio until the beginning of the Civil War, when he enlisted in Company A., Eighth Ohio Infantry.  He was soon at the front with his regiment and laid his life on the altar of his country in a skirmish at Cumberland Gap, Virginia, while the opposing armies were playing for the possession of that important base of operations in the great campaigns, which were then impending.  The mother moved with her parents in her girlhood from Pennsylvania to Ohio, and was there married after reaching years of maturity.  After the close of the war, she removed her family to Colorado, and in 1897, she died at Salida, this state, at the age of sixty-eight. She was the mother of seven children, John being the sixth.  He remained at home till the age of fifteen, and in 1872, came west alone, and locating at Central City, or Blackhawk, in what is now Gilpin County, began following the almost universal occupation of that section, prospecting and mining.  In 1881, he discovered and located a valuable mine, which he named the Leo, after his oldest daughter, Leonora.  Two years later, he left this section of the state and took up his residence at Cripple Creek, remaining there and continuing his mining operations until the Alaska excitement broke out, when he went to that far northern country and remained until 1893.  Then, returning to Colorado, he settled on a ranch two and a half miles west of Montrose and devoted his attentions to the production of high grade cattle and fine fruit.  For two years, he also had a warehouse at Montrose and was deeply interested in the improvement of that portion of the state, being the first man to agitate the Gunnison irrigation project which has resulted in so much benefit to this section.  He has made his ranch one of the best and most valuable in its neighborhood by industry and skill in its cultivation and excellent judgment in its improvement, adding to its attractions, in addition to the necessary features which subserve the utilities, many that please the eye and contribute to the enjoyment of his family and his numerous friends.  On of these is a lake of good size which he has stocked with Eastern brook trout, his move was an experiment of doubtful success, but it has succeeded in a way that realizes his most ardent hopes concerning it, and has become so popular and interesting to the community that his place has been named in consequence, "Pelton Lake Farm." In politics, Mr. Pelton has been through life an active Republican, always devoted to the interests of his party and doing his part of the work necessary to the success of its cause.  On February 15, 1901, he was appointed receiver of the United States land office at Montrose, and has since been engaged in the performance of his official duties.  He is a zealous member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and of the Woodmen of the World.  On February 28, 1881, he was married to Miss Katie Anderson, a native of Sweden, and sister of Eric Anderson, of near Montrose, a sketch of whom will be found elsewhere in this work.  They have four children, Leonora S., an accomplished musician, carefully trained at one of the leading conservatories; Edna D., engaged in teaching school; George S., and Herbert E., a recent graduate of the Montrose High School.  (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed By Joanne Scobee Morgan)


JOSEPH I. POGUE, M. D., is one of the pioneers of Okanogan county (WA) and has done a lion's share in the development of the county and bringing its resources to the attention of the outside world. He is a physician of ability and handles a good, large practice with great success. In addition to this, the doctor has set in operation and brought to a state of perfection, a fruit and stock ranch. It lies three miles north from Alma, on what is known as Pogue's flat. His estate is large and well laid out and every detail manifests the skill and good taste of the doctor. He owns an interest in the Conconully reservoir and has plenty of water to irrigate his whole farm. He raises all the different varieties of fruit indigenous to this latitude, and has a large band of stock, besides doing considerable general farming. He has one field of one hundred acres which produces three crops of alfalfa annually.
Joseph I. Pogue was born in Hillsborough, Highland county Ohio, on August 14, 1848, the son of Robert G. and Nancy (Irwin) Pogue. The father was born in Stanton, Virginia, and the mother in Ross county, Ohio. The paternal ancestors were residents of this country for over 100 years and formerly came from Ireland. The father died in 1876, aged 78 years. He had one son who was a captain in the Mexican war. Our subject's mother now resides near his place, upon a valuable estate of one quarter section. She is aged ninety-two. Dr. Pogue has one brother, John, living near Alma. At the age of six our subject went with his parents to Oswego, Illinois, and after graduating from the high school, matriculated in the North-Western University, of Chicago, whence he took his degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1877. He commenced practice in Wiota, Cass county, Iowa, and continued there very successfully for ten years. In the fall of 1886, he came to Tacoma, then went to North Yakima, and later in the year located on his present place in Okanogan county. After discovering the productiveness of the soil and the abundance of water, he determined to make this a permanent abode. Since that time he has given himself steadily to the practice of medicine and also has supervised his farm and other property. On October 16, 1879, at Atlantic, Iowa, Dr. Pogue married Marion, daughter of Dr. Moses and Elizabeth (Telford) Buckley, both natives of Washington county, New York, and born in September, 1831, and on April 27, 1834, respectively. Mrs. Pogue was born in the same county on April 5, 1856. Dr. Buckley was a very successful physician until his death in 1872. His widow then went to Los Angeles, California, where she now resides. Her father Mr. Telford, was born, raised and died in Washington county. New York. His demise occurred when he was sixty years of age. To Dr. and Mrs. Pogue three children have been born: Grace L., attending high school at Santa Ana, California; Ethel, deceased; and Leta, N. In reference to the doctor's estate, we also wish to mention that he has a large fruit dry house, and elegant residence, plenty of outbuildings and a commodious barn. The home is supplied with telephone connections and the place is one of the most beautiful and valuable estates in the entire Okanogan country. Dr. Pogue is a progressive man and public minded. In 1892 he was elected county commissioner of Okanogan county, his name appearing on the Republican ticket. In 1902 he was elected representative to the state legislature. He has always labored assiduously for the betterment of educational facilities of the county and is also very prominent at the conventions, always putting forth the best principles and men. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the W. O. W., while he and his wife are very active in church work.
[Source: "An illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington" Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - Tr. by Helen Coughlin]


SILAS H. PRATHER
SILAS H. PRATHER, farmer and stock raiser, section 22, was born in Hillsboro, Highland County, Ohio, December 10, 1846. His father, John H. Prather, was a native of West Virginia and was of Scottish descent, while his mother, Catherine (Chaney) Prather, was born in Ohio and of Dutch extraction. They came to Ohio in an early day. Silas is the only child now living of a family of three children. His mother died when he was about two years of age. In 1856 he accompanied his father and step-mother to Montezuma, Poweshiek County, Iowa, where they remained some three years, then returning to Ohio. Young Prather spent his youth on a farm and obtained a fair education. When President Lincoln issued his first call for ninety-day men the subject of this sketch was among the first to respond. He enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifty-eighth Ohio Infantry, Company F, and, after serving his time, he returned to Ohio and from there emigrated to Henderson County, Illinois. In 1864 he again enlisted in the Fifty-eighth Illinois Infantry, Company G, and served until the close of the war. He enlisted as a private and rose to first-duty sergeant, serving mostly on detached service, principally in the quartermaster’s office. He remained some time in Montgomery, Alabama, and at the close of the war he settled in Henderson County, Illinois, and a short time after went to Winterset, Iowa, in the fall of 1866, where he remained three years occupied in farming. In 1869 he went to Texas, was interested for two years in the cattle business, and in the fall of 1870 he moved to Henry County, Missouri. There he lived five years engaged in farming. In 1875 he settled in Warren County, Illinois, and became associated with David Rankin in farming and stock raising. He came to Atchison County in the spring of 1878. He owns a third interest with Mr. Rankin in 7,600 acres of land and they are largely interested in stock raising. Mr. Prather superintends the farm. He is a sterling business man. Commencing life a poor boy, he was early deprived of the care of a mother and was thrown upon his own resources. He has worked his way steadily upward by honesty, industry and attention to business. Politically he is a staunch Republican. Mr. P. was married December 20, 1870, to Miss Emma Rankin, youngest sister of David Rankin. She is a native of Illinois and was born December 17, 1845. She died March 15, 1881, leaving three children: Nettie Bell, born December 10, 1871; Homer Dee, born December 1, 1873, and Harry Rankin, born March 4, 1875. Mr. Prather is a member of the M.E. Church, of Tarkio, in which he holds the position of steward. He is also a strong temperance man. [The History of Holt and Atchison Counties, Missouri; St. Joseph, Mo.: National Historical Company, 1882. Transcribed by K. Mohler]



BACK -- HOME


Copyright © Genealogy Trails