Highland County Ohio
Finding Ancestors wherever their trails led with Genealogy Trails History Group
Genealogy and History

Obituaries and
Death Notices


Verda Martin
Mrs. Verda Martin, 86, of Buford, died Saturday at her home. Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 2 P. M. at the Buford Church of Christ, with burial following in Buford Cemetery under direction of Thompson Funeral Home at Mt. Orab. She is survived by three sons, Alva, of Buford, and Elmer and Lawrence, addresses not available. Her husband preceded her in death.
[Hillsboro Press Gazette, Jan 16, 1962 - Sub. by Linda Blue Dietz]

Clarence Van Mater

Clarence Van Mater, 74, retired coal dealer of Lynchburg, died suddenly at his home in Lynchburg Monday about 4 p.m.
He was born March 1, 1888, the son of John and Elizabeth (Ulrich) Van Meter, He was a coal dealer for many years in Lynchburg. He is survived by his wife Hazel, one daughter, mrs. Norman Aber, Lynchburg, and one grand-son. Services were held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Davis Funeral Home in Lynchburg, with the Rev. George Pohlman officiating and burial following in Troutwine Cemetery.
[Hillsboro Press Gazette, Jan 12, 1962 - Sub. by Linda Blue Dietz]

John Wesley Matthews
For John Wesley, second son of Joel and Deliha Matthews, life dawned September 8th, 1852. He passed through the sunset of life's day November 3rd, 1929. As night's curtain separates the sunset from the dawn, the sleep called death separates mortal life from life immortal. It seems I can almost hear the words, "Well done good and faithful servant," enter into thy eternal home and rest. On October 15th, 1881, Dr. Matthews was married to Martha E. Moon. To this union came one son, Walter, who was their pride and joy. On December 22nd, 1907, Walter was married to Ada Crawford. To these splendid young people were born two sons, one of whom died in infancy. The other, Robert, is left to mourn the passing of his grandfather. The great grief that came into the lives of Dr. and Mrs. Matthews was the death of their beloved son, Walter, October 12th, 1918. The community has lost a friend. Dr. Matthews labored faithfully healing rich and poor alike. The Methodist church of which he was a faithful member since early youth, has lost a wise counselor and guide. The passing of such a man means a vacancy in the community which never can be filled. Dr. Matthews' kindness to the school children will be gratefully remembered through out their lives. His work in this community will stand out as brightly as the beams from the light house that guide the storm tossed sailor on a dark night. We can say truthfully he was a friend to man. 'To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.'
I take this method of expressing my sincere thanks to all friends and neighbors for their assistance and expressions of sympathy during the sickness and death of my beloved husband Dr. J. W. Matthews.
Mrs. Dr. Matthews
[Hillsboro, Ohio - Sub. by Corinne Paklo]

Latitia McDaniel
DIED. On the 5th inst., in Fallsville, Highland county, Ohio, Latitia, consort of James McDaniel and daughter of Benjamin and Lucy Wright.--Hillsboro News. [The Scioto Gazette, (Chillicothe, OH) Thursday, March 20, 1850 - Sub. by Kathy McDaniel]

Charles Miller

In Lynchburg, January 1, 1874, of consumption, Charles Miller, aged 20 years, son of W. C. Miller, formerly of this place.
[The Highland Weekly News (Hillsboro, OH) Thursday, January 15, 1874 - Sub. by Kathy McDaniel]

Col. David Miller
Death Of An Old Citizen .---Col. David Miller, for many years a resident of this place, died on Monday night, after a lingering illness, of disease of the heart. He kept the old Denny House for some years, and afterwards the Madeira House in Chillicothe. Returning to Hillsboro after the great fire in Chillicothe, he engaged in the grocery and grain business, in which he continued until a few months ago, when his failing health compelled him to retire. In early life he was, we believe, somewhat of a politician and was elected sheriff of the county, which office he filled to the general satisfaction of the people. He was an upright, enterprising citizen, who was greatly esteemed, and whose death will be sincerely lamented by all who knew him. He was about 55 years of age.
[The Highland Weekly News (Hillsboro, OH) Thursday, October 01, 1863 - Sub. by Kathy McDaniel]

Frelinghuysen H. Morrow
Died.--At Camp Douglas, Chicago, Ills., on the 23d Oct. 1862, of Typhoid Fever, Frelinghuysen H. Morrow, son of James R. and Hannah Morrow, of New Market, Ohio--a member of Co. D, 60th O. V. I., aged 18 years.
One more noble and brave life has been sacrificed in defense of his country. He left home Aug. 27th, to join his Reg't, which was at that time encamped at Winchester, little dreaming that he would never again meet his friends on earth. News came Oct. 22d, that he was very sick, and if his friends wished to see him, to come immediately. His father started, and arrived the next day after he died. Alas! he was too late; death had claimed him for his own. Eight weeks from the day he left home he was a lifeless corpse.
The deceased being endowed with good talents and amiable disposition, ever kind and obliging, had won the esteem and respect of all who knew him. He had endeared himself to many of his officers and comrades of the Regiment, and therefore had many friends. As one of his officers remarked when told that he was dead, in a tone of affection, 'He was a good boy--true, brave, and loyal--ever at his post, ready to discharge his duty. 'Do you think I will ever get well?' he enquired of one of his comrades that came in to see him; and on being told that they thought he would, he remarked, 'I think not, and if not, I suppose my time has come, and this is my place in which to die; and I must be resigned.'
In him our Regiment lost one of its best soldiers. It was the law of his nature to eagerly respond to the call of his country. He died as he lived, a true soldier. On a calm October day his gentle spirit wafted to its eternal home without a struggle to meet his Savior. He who lent him hath recalled him back with Him and His to dwell.

'Rest, dearest comrade, the battle is o'er,
Thy hardships are ended, thy warfare is done!
Bravely thou'st struggled, but struggle no more--
Enjoy the sweet peace thy valor has won!'
Thus perished a brave and noble soldier, in the beauty of his youth and manhood, away from home and its endearments. We deeply sympathize with the bereft friends of the deceased, who have lost so dutiful a son and kind a brother. His remains were sent home, and arrived on Saturday, Oct. 25th, and were on Monday interred in the beautiful cemetery at New Market, to await the resurrection of the just.
'Now the family chain is broken,
One link from the happy band,
The one so dearly loved has left them,
Left them for a happy land.
His earthly years were few in number,
Oh! how swift they passed away;
With his brother and his sisters,
He could not prolong his stay.
They have borne him to the church-yard,
There his lovely form they laid;
There among the faded lilies,
There his friends may find his grave.'
[The Highland Weekly News (Hillsboro, OH) Thursday, February 05, 1863 - Sub. by Kathy McDaniel]

Janet Lou Mott
Janet Lou Mott, age 12, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Mott, who reside just east of Hillsboro, died Saturday about 6:30 P. M. at a hospital in Columbus following a long illness. Services were held Wednesday at 2 P. M. at the Evans funeral home, with Rev. F. J. Malzard officiating and burial following in Sugartree Ridge cemetery, Besides her parents, she is survived by one brother, James, student at Ohio State University.
[The News Herald, Jan 11, 1951 - Sub. by Linda Blue Dietz]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails