58th Ohio Infantry Regiment (Union)

- Organized on Dec 1 1861 at Camp Chase, OH
- Enlistment term: 3 years
- Mustered out on Jan 14 1865 at Vicksburg, MS

Company A Montgomery County
Company B Clark & Franklin Counties
Company C Crawford County
Company D Darke County
Company E Cuyahoga County and Mixed Counties
Company F Hocking County
Company G Stark County
Company H Butler County
Company I Pickaway County
Company K Hocking County

Available statistics for total numbers of men listed as:
- Enlisted or commissioned: 1477
- Drafted: 47
- Transferred in: 24
- Killed or died of wounds (Officers): 3
- Killed or died of wounds (Enlisted men): 85
- Died of disease (Officers): 2
- Died of disease (Enlisted men): 215
- Prisoner of war: 32
- Died while prisoner of war: 5
- Disabled: 206
- Discharged: 92
- Mustered out: 730
- Transferred out: 51

(Three Years)

Fifty-eighth Infantry. - Col., Valentine Bausenwein; Lieut.-Cols., Ferdinand F. Remple, Peter Dister, Ezra P. Jackson, William S. Friesner; Maj., Andrew Gallfy.

This regiment was organized at Camp Chase, from Oct., 1861, to Jan. 28, 1862, to serve for three years. It remained at Camp Chase, perfecting itself in the ''school of the soldier,'' until in Feb., 1862, when it was transported by rail to Cincinnati, and there embarked on steamers for Fort Donelson, Tenn., where it
arrived on Feb. 13. Preparations were at once made to take part in the assault on the fort and after moving a short distance a furious attack was made by the enemy, but the shock was met with coolness, ending in the Confederates being hurled back into their entrenchments. Early on the morning of the 16th the regiment was marched to the center of the line, where it remained until the announcement of the surrender of the fort. It
went into the battle of Shiloh on the morning of the second day's fighting and was under fire until 4 p. m., its loss being 9 killed and 43 wounded. Then came the tedious, exhausting march on Corinth, creeping with snail-like pace toward that miserable town, and after the evacuation the regiment with the rest of the army took possession. In a reconnaissance down the Mississippi on transports a Confederate steamer with 5,000 stands of arms and 2 pieces of artillery, was captured near Milliken's bend, La. In the affair at Chickasaw bluffs the regiment lost 47 percent of the whole number engaged. It remained in this vicinity until in January, when it re-embarked on transports and sailed down the Yazoo river to its mouth; thence up the Mississippi and White rivers to Arkansas Post, where it took a prominent part in the capture of that place.
In March an expedition was ordered up the Yazoo river to Deer creek, resulting in a three days' fight, in which the regiment lost a few men. In the battle of Grand Gulf the regiment lost heavily. It then joined the land forces at Vicksburg, where it remained until ordered home to be mustered out, which was
consummated on Jan. 14, 1865.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 2

Shiloh after battle report:

Report of Col. Valentine Bausenwein, Fifty-eighth
Ohio Infantry.

HDQRS. FIFTY-EIGHTH REGT. OHIO VOLUNTEERS, camp near Pittsburg, Tenn., April 10, 1862.
CAPT.: I have the honor to present herewith a report of the part which the Fifty-eighth Regt. took in the battle of the 7th instant, near Pittsburg, Tenn. The Fifty-eighth Regt., belonging to the Third Division, Maj. Gen. Lewis Wallace, Second Brigade, Col. J. M. Thayer, First Nebraska, commanding was stationed on the left shore of the Tennessee River. Sunday, the 6th of April, in the morning, we received orders to be ready for marching at a moment's notice. At 12 o'clock m. the whole brigade moved forward. We marched all the
afternoon in quick-time through ravines and swamps until we arrived, about an hour after dusk, at a point a mile south of Pittsburg Landing. The enemy being only about three-quarters of a mile distant, no fires were made, and the regiment laid on their arms all night. With daylight the firing commenced, and our regiment received orders to fall into line of battle. The Fifty-eighth was first posted in the rear of the First Nebraska, but after leaving the woods and reaching open ground we fell in the line of the First Nebraska, and in that position we advanced all day, the enemy contesting with great valor every inch of ground. Having passed into a large open field we became engaged with the enemy, which lasted some twenty minutes, where I received orders from Col. Thayer to press forward into the timber. Having passed into the woods and ascending a steep hill we found ourselves opposed to two regiments of the enemy, drawn up in line of battle. We attacked them forthwith. The action continued for nearly two hours. Our men stood their ground bravely. Their ammunition being nearly exhausted, we fell back a few rods to a ravine, for the purpose of procuring a new supply. After procuring it we moved forward into again, when the enemy field. The officers and men of my regiment did their duty throughout the whole day. Especially do I desire to make mention of Lieut.-Col. Rempel, Maj. Dister, and Lieut. Scheid, acting adjutant (Adjutant Christie being absent on special duty ) who during the whole engagement behaved with great coolness, and were always
with me in the advance, under the heaviest fire of the enemy. Our loss is, officers wounded, 2; non-commissioned officers and privates, 39;  killed, 10.

I am, very respectfully, yours,

Col., Cmdg.

S. A. STRICKLAND, A. A. A. G., Second Brigade.

Source: Official Records: Series I. Vol. 10. Part I, Reports. Serial No. 10

transcribed by Sandra Cummins

Back to Hocking County on Genealogy Trails

This Genealogy Trails website with all of the content and pictures are the © copyrighted 2006 property of Genealogy Trails and the original submitters.  All rights are reserved.  Nothing contained in this site may be commercially reproduced or utilized for any purpose, except for private use, without prior written authorization.