Hocking County Ohio Biographies

LEMUEL TOBIAS BETHEL, a farmer of Starr Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, was born in Hampshire County, Va., Nov. 9, 1818, a son of Joshua and Nancy (Kidwell) Bethel. His parents moved to Ohio and settled near Senecaville, Guernsey County, when he was seven years of age. When he was twenty-two years of age he purchased a farm near Senecaville and carried it on till 1855, when he came to Athens County and settled in Trimble Township, living there till 1868. He then removed to Harrison Township, Vinton County, and in 1880 purchased his present farm in Starr Township. In February, 1842, he married Rebecca Slater, of Guernsey County. They have eight children---Caroline, now Mrs. John Maxwell; Albert S., of Nelsonville; Joshua C.; Nancy M., now Mrs. J. H. Anderson, of Vinton County; Lettice Ann, now Mrs. D. Ogg, of Vinton County; George William; John Lemuel; Mary I., now Mrs. Charles Collins, of Pike County. They have lost one daughter, Rebecca J., wife of Levi Collins, who died Dec. 14, 1881, aged twenty-one years. Mr. and Mrs. Bethel are members of the Methodist church. He is a member of Hock- hocking Lodge, No. 339, I. O. O. F., Nelsonville. While a resi- dent of Trimble Township he served as Trustee and Justice of the Peace.
Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
WILLIAM D. BUCKINGHAM, section 29, Starr Township, was born in Vinton (then Hocking) County, Ohio, March 29, 1842. He went with his parents to York Township in 1856 and came to this township in 1861. He was a soldier in the late war in Company E, Ninetieth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Captain Angle, who was killed at the seige of Nashville. He participated in the battle of Stone River, where he was wounded and thereby rendered unable for duty, and nine months later was discharged and now draws a small pension from the United States Government. Since the war his business has been for the most part that of a teamster. He was married July 31 1862, to Almira McCallister (her father, however, spells the name McCollester), a daughter of Abram McCollester. They have five children--Frank E, Charles G, Mary D, Martha J and Abram Curtis. Mr. Buckingham owns thirty acres of land. William Curtis Buckingham, the father of the above, was born in Starr Township, Hocking Co., Ohio March 8, 1819, and is a son of Philo Buckingham, a native of Connecticut, who came to Starr Township in 1817, and settled iin the woods. he resided here about twenty-seven years, then went to Jackson County, Ohio and in 1850 removed to Edgar County, Ill., where he died in the spring of 1851. He was brought up on the farm and received a limited common-school education. He was married Jan. 7, 1841, to Frederica D., daughter of August Schall. She was born in Germany, and brought to America at the age of five years. Mr and Mrs Buckingham had six children, four now living-William D., Caroline M., John A. and Andrew B. One son, George P., died at the age of seven years, and another, Charles W., a promising young man of twenty-two years, was killed by falling coal in the mine at Straitsville, this county. Our subject removed to York Township, as above stated, in 1856, and to Starr in 1861, where he now resides on section 29. He is a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity.
Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
JAMES R. BUSHEE, blacksmith, South Perry, was born in Pick- away County, Ohio, July 10, 1829. When he was about two years old came with his father’s family to Hocking County, where he was reared and received his education in the common schools. His father being a blacksmith, he was early put at work in assisting his father in the shop, and there became master of the trade, remaining with his father until he was about eighteen years of age, when his mother died and the family was broken up. He then went to work as a journeyman in Adelphi and other towns of Ross County. He was married Nov. 9, 1851, to Sarah Mettler, a native of New Jersey, born Oct. 4, 1831, and came to Hocking County when about nine years of age. They have had eight children, five still living--- Adolphus C., born June 3, 1854; Margaret A., born July 17, 1855; Hannah A., born Sept. 27, 1856; Francis E., born March 8, 1860; Alva C., born May 18, 1868. After his marriage, Mr. Bushee began business in South Perry, where he has since been located. During the late war he enlisted in Company B, Seventy-first Ohio Infantry, where he participated in the battles of Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville. He served until the close of the war and received his discharge June 12, 1865. He returned to his home in South Perry and engaged in his present business, which he has since followed. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., Silver Moon Lodge, No. 449.
Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
Thomas Edwin Baker, junior member of the firm of Work & Baker, stove and tinware merchants of Logan, was born in Lan- caster, Ohio, July 14, 1828, where he was reared. He is the eldest of five sons of Luman and Sarah Ann (Hart) Baker, with whom he lived till he was fifteen years old, when he became apprenticed to John McClelland to learn the tinner's trade, at which he served till his nineteenth year. He then went to Columbus, Ohio, and worked as a journeyman for one year, after which he worked for six months at Newark, Ohio. In the fall of 1849 he went to Bainbridge, Ross Co., Ohio, where he held the position of foreman in the shop of Grove W. Penny until the following spring, when he came to Logan and engaged with his father in the stove and tinware business, the firm name being T. E. Baker & Co. In 1852 his father retired from the firm, and he carried on the business alone till 1857, when he sold out to G. M. Webb & Co., being employed by them as a jour- neyman until July, 1862. He was then commissioned First Lieu- tenant by Governor Tod, and assisted in recruiting Company G, Ninetieth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he went into service and served in the front until July, 1863, when he was wounded in the foot at Stone River, which disabled him. In De- cember, 1862, he was ordered to a convalescent hospital at Jeffer- sonville, Ind., where he remained until October, 1863, when a veteran reserve corps was organized of the convalescents, and he was ordered out as Captain of Company G, Seventeenth Regiment Reserved Corps, he having been promoted to Captain in June, 1863, serving with his company on guard duty at Indianapolis until October, 1864. He participated in the battles of Perryville, Stone River and several less important skirmishes, and in October, 1864, resigned his commission and returned to Logan. In March, 1865, he formed a partnership with Robert R. Work in his pres- ent business. He was married Oct. 10, 1850, to Miss Mary D. Tow- ers, of Lancaster, by whom he has had nine children, six of whom are living, viz.: Frances Mary, wife of George Mumford, of Logan; Annie E., wife of George Brashears, of Straitsville; Luman E., Hamden Culver, Gertrude and Nellie W. The deceased ones were: John Borland, who died at the age of twenty-four years; Sallie Alice, wife of A. Pettit, of Troy, Ohio, who died at twenty- one years of age, and Louisa, who died aged three years. Mr. Baker has served as Councilman of Logan. He is a Master, Royal Arch and Council Mason, and member of the lodge, chapter and coun- cil at Logan. He is a charter member of J. K. Rochester Post, No. 140, G. A. R., of Logan. He and wife are members of the First Presbyterian Church of Logan, of which he is a Trustee. Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
Abraham Washington Beery, a Director of the People's Bank, Logan, was born near Staunton, Rockingham Co., Va., Dec. 12, 1799, a son of John and Margaret (Shafer) Beery. In 1805 his parents came to Ohio and settled six miles east of Lancaster, Fair- field County, where he was reared. April 20, 1820, he married Elizabeth Miracle, of Fairfield County, and settled on a farm. In 1826, in connection with farming, he ran a six-horse freight team from Lancaster to Baltimore and Cincinnati. In 1831 he sold his farm and team, and removed to Perry County, and in 1836 came to Hocking County, and bought 300 acres of land near Logan, soon after buying 200 acres more. He improved it all, and with farm- ing engaged also in stock-raising. In 1812 he was elected Treas- urer of Hocking County, and removed to Logan. He held the office four years, and at the end of that time returned to his farm. In 1852 he divided his farm with his sons, and returned to Logan and engaged in the grocery business. In 1856 he retired from all business except banking. April 17, 1858, his wife died, leaving thirteen children, only two of whom are now living — Sim- eon and Amos. July 11, 1858, he married Elizabeth McFadden, of Hocking County. At the organization of the First Bank of Logan he was one of the stockholders and was elected a Director. When the People's Bank was organized he was also a stockholder and was elected Vice-President, resigning in 1882 on account of defect- ive hearing. Mr. and Mrs. Beery are members of the Presbyterian church. He is a member of Mingo Lodge, No. 171, A. F. & A. M. Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
Raymond Belt Mr. Belt's parentage on the father's side was purely English. When Wm. Claibourn, in the year 1632, erected a trading post on " Kent's Island " in the Chesapeake Bay, near the site of the city of Baltimore, with a little colony, it was in part comprised of Benjamin and Humphries Belt, from County York, East Riding, England.
In a few years after their arrival, Benjamin Belt became dissatisfied, returned to the mother country, leaving his brother Humphries, the progenitor of this branch of the Belt family, behind. John Belt, the father of Raymond Belt, was born in Prince Georges County, Maryland, in 1769, the generation of Belts, from Humphries down, having resided in and around Balti- more since 1632. In 1775 John Belt, with his father's family, emigrated to the State of Pennsylvania, and in 1794, at the age of twenty-five years, married Miss Elizabeth Bumgardner.
In 1804, with his small family, he emigrated to the State of Ohio, set- tling in Licking County, on a farm near Newark, the county seat. Here Raymond, the youngest of a family of ten, was born March 4, 1819. He pursued the calling of a husbandman until he was of the age of twenty-three years, receiving in the meantime a good common-school education, such as was imparted in that day and age by the pedagogues of district 'schools.
In 1842 Mr. Belt commenced working at the carpenter's trade in the little village of Van Attasburg, in Licking County, and being ingenious, and of a mechanical turn of mind, soon mastered the rudiments and was pronounced a complete workman in wood. Van Attasburg contain- ing an iron foundry, plow-making was carried on to a considerable extent; in the stocking or wooding of plows, handy, ingenious workmen were required, and Mr. Belt's well-known mechanical ideas soon called him to that branch of wood manufacturing busi- ness. After working about two years in Van Attasburg he re- moved to Toledo, Ohio; remained there one year and returned to the burg once more, remaining and carrying on for himself and building up the business of the village, until the spring of 1846, when he pulled up stakes and moved his plow-stocking business to the then village of Logan.
There, being no foundry in Logan at that time, Mr. Belt transported the iron fixings for his plows from Van Attasburg, by wagon, across the county, a distance of over fifty miles, until the idea suggested itself that castings could be manu- factured at Logan as cheap as any other point in Ohio, all that was wanting was the facilities for so doing, and being a man of nerve as well as practical mechanic, he, in 1848, associating with himself Robert Van Atta, a thorough molder and foundryman, they immedi- ately proceeded erect the first foundry and machine shop in the valley of the Hockhocking, which proved a great success.
Oct. 1, 1848, Mr. Belt married Miss Susan Guthrie, of Zanesville, O., for- merly of Baltimore, Md. Mr. Belt continued the foundry business as a copartnership business until 1860, when he became the sole owner. The same year Mr. Belt assumed the business alone he enlarged the capacity of the works, manufacturing not only plows, but machinery of every description iron could be formed into, manu- facturing during the war great numbers of iron cane mills, and that with the increasing demand of every thing in his line made for him, during these .years, an independency so far as worldly goods were concerned.
In 1873 the main machine shop building and a portion of the foundry were destroyed by tire, causing considerable loss, but Mr Belt, with that indomitable energy characteristic of the man, im- mediately commenced building again on a more extensive scale, this time using stone, brick and iron for building material, instead of wood. Completing the outer works, he filled the establishment with the latest and most improved machinery, continued the busi- ness, increasing it year by year, until to-day we find him conduct- ing the most prosperous machine and foundry works in Southern Ohio. During the wedded life of Mr. Belt five children have been born unto him, four of whom are still living, two of each sex, and all grown up to manhood and womanhood, six grandchildren being already added to the family list. Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
Andrew Blum, farmer, second son of Martin and Jacobine E., nee Sheine, Blum, was born near Stuttgart, Wurtemberg, Ger- many, Sept. 28, 1827. When three years of age he came with his parents to the United States and settled near Hanover, Penn., where they lived three years and then removed to Thorn Township, Perry Co., Ohio, and resided nine years. They then came to Laurel Township, Hocking County, near Gibisonville. Mr. Blum has been engaged in farming since twenty-one years of age. In February, 1873, he came to Falls Township where he has since re- sided. Aug. 15, 1848, he married Sarah, daughter of Solomon and Barbara A. (Fought) Kline, of Hocking County. They have twelve living children — Margaret, wife of Henry Miller, of Laurel Township; Jacobine E., wife of George Miller, of Washington Township; Barbara A., wife of John Risch, of Good Hope Town- ship; Abraham, .Mary, Solomon. Caroline, Samuel, Ella, John II., Emma and George. Andrew died in infancy in Van Wert County. Mr. and Mrs. Blum are members of the Lutheran church. Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
Luther Stone Bort ,insurance agent, Logan, Ohio, was born near Chautauqua Lake, Chautauqua Co.. N. Y.. July 18, 1818. When he was quite small he removed with his parents, Barnard H. and Polly (Dewey) Bort, to Erie, Pa., with whom he lived until he was fourteen years of age, and till then had received but a meager ed- ucation. On leaving home he went to Ravenna, Ohio, where he learned the printer's trade with his uncle, Colonel N. Laurin Dewey, being with him four years. He then worked in different offices of that place until 1840, when he came to Columbus, Ohio, and was employed in the Statesman office during 1840 and '41. In June, 1841, he came to Logan and permanently settled, where he was employed as foreman in the Hocking Sentinel office, he issuing the first number of that paper. In 1845 he purchased a half in- terest in the same paper, which he owned until 1847, when he sold out, and in that year established the Hocking Valley Repub- lican, which he owned and published until 1850, when he removed his paper to McArthur, Vinton County, where he published it until 1853. He then sold out and returned to Logan and was em- ployed as clerk, and assistant manager of the Logan Furnace Com- pany until 1860. He then removed to St. Louis, Mo., and remained until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he returned to Logan, where he has since been variously employed. In 1861 he was elected Assistant Assessor of Hocking County serving three or four years. In the spring of 1882 he was elected Justice of the Peace of Falls Township, and is now the incumbent of that office. Nov. 14, 1843, he was married to Sallie Ann Case, of Logan, by whom he has three living children — Laurin L. and William F., both book- keepers for W. B. Brooks & Son, of Nelsonville, Ohio, and Lucius O., a clerk in the drug store of Miller & Case, at Logan. They have lost five by death — two in infancy, two between five and twelve, and one who had reached maturity. Mr. Bort is a Master, Royal Arch, Council and Knight Templar Mason. Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
George Washington Brehm, lMayor of Logan and attorney, was born in Laurel Township, Hocking County, Ohio, July 14, 1841, where he was reared a farmer, being educated in the district school, and by attending one term at a select school at Lancaster, Ohio. When sixteen years of age he taught the school in his own district, and afterward taught during the winter season twelve years. In 1870 he was appointed Deputy Clerk in the Probate Justice’s office, under Hon. George W. Alfred, and filled that position three years, studying law privately during the time. In January, 1872, he was admitted to the bar by the District Court of Hocking County. In 1878 he began the practice of law at Logan being associated with G. W. Alfred. This partnership continued, with the exception of two years, 1874-75, till 1880. He has been Mayor of Logan since the spring of 1876. In 1864 he was elected Clerk of Laurel Town- ship, serving till his removal to Logan in 1868. He has been a Justice of the Peace of Falls Township since 1871. In 1867 he was appointed School Examiner of Hocking County, serving till 1876. March 26, 1863, Mr. Brehm married Eliza Snoke, of Fairfield County, who died Dec. 10, 1875, leaving five children—Clara A., Frank H, Charles E, Willie E. and Ida E. Sept. 6, 1878, he married Marian Josephine Rhodes, of Orleans County, N. Y. They have two children-—Mary and Kate Eliza. Mr. and Mrs. Brehm are members of the Primitive Baptist church. Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
John G. Bright, farmer, cabinet maker, house carpenter and joiner, fifth son of George and Frances (Bowman) Bright, was born near Bremen, Fairfield Co., Ohio, March 28, 1817. When nineteen years of age he removed with his parents to Falls Township, Hocking County. At the age of twenty-one he rented lands of his father. In 1851 he removed lo Elkhart County, Ind., and purchased a farm. In 1858 he sold his farm and returned to Falls Township and purchased a portion of the homestead. Although he did not serve as an apprentice at either of his trades, he has become efficient in both. Jan. 6, 1880, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Isaac and Catharine (Fry) Red, of Marion Township. They have five children—John, Frances (wife of William Fickle) Franklin P., George and Nancy J. (wife of Isaac Wolf), all of Hocking County. Mr. Bright is a member of the Dunkard, or Brethren church. Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
Andrew J. Burgess, section 86, Falls-Gore, is the son of Rich- ard Burgess, deceased. He was born in Perry County, Ohio, Aug. 14, 1825, and the following year he was brought by his parents to Falls-Gore, where he has since resided. He was reared on a farm and attended the subscription schools, his educational advantages being very limited. He was married Oct. 12, 1845, to Elizabeth Taylor, by whom he has had eight children, six of whom are living -Clara A., John W., Richard, Mary, Lovina (deceased), Andrew J, Jr., Samantha and Amanda J. (deceased). Mr. Burgess has held the office of Supervisor for the past seventeen years, and has also been Township Trustee four years. He owns a farm of eighty-seven acres of land and is employed in general farming. He is a great hunter, having, in connection with four others, in the fall of 1880, killed fifty-seven deer and three bears in four weeks. Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883


Back to Biography List
Back to Hocking County on Genealogy Trails

Adjacent Counties

Visit Ohio

Fairfield County
Ross County
Perry County
Pickaway County
Vinton County
Athens County

Visit our National Genealogy Trails Site