Hocking County Ohio Biographies

EMMETT AMBLIN, Coal Operator, was born in Madison county, New York, August 31st, 1826. His father and mother were both natives of New York. His parents moved to Pennsylvania in 1829; thence to Steuben county, New York, in 1834; and finally settled in Hocking county, Ohio, in 1838. Emmett received his education in the schools of Hocking county. His father dying January 20th, 1839 , the support of his mother and sister devolved upon young Emmett. He assumed the charge willingly and with stout heart, determined to make the best of his oppor­tunities. He secured work as a laborer on the Hocking Canal, and was so employed for six years. From 1845 until 1847 he was engaged on a farm. In the latter year he rented a farm, which he tilled until 1860, when he pur­chased a farm in Hocking county. In this year he was elected Treasurer of Hocking county, being re-elected at the expiration of his term, in 1862. He vacated this office in 1865. In the meantime he continued farming and stock raising until 1869, when he sold his land to the county for an infirmary, and resigned the County Commissionership to which he had been elected in 1867. Since then he has been engaged in operating and speculating in coal lands in Hocking and Perry counties. He was the first in his sec­tion to turn his attention to the valuable deposits of coal which had lain there awaiting the energy and enterprise that should develop them. A life of thrift and industry has enabled him to become possessed of some of the best coal lands in Ohio. Mr. Hamblin now makes his home in Logan county. May 16th, 1847, Mr. Hamblin married Calistia Cook, of Hocking county, who has borne him four boys, all living. Source: The Biographical Encyclopaedia of Ohio of the Nineteenth Century ,Cincinnati: Galaxy Pub. Co., 1876
MORRISON H. AMBROSE, proprietor, of the Remple House, is a native of Ohio, and was born near Tiffin, Seneca County, Dec. 9, 1839. He remained on his father's farm in Seneca County, attending school winters until twenty-three, when he went to Lancaster, Ohio, and was employed as superintendent and clerk in the Talmage Hotel: remained here until August, 1871, when he located in Logan and opened the American House. In 1875 Mr. Ambrose remodeled the American House and changed the name to the Remple House. He has remodeled this house from time to time, and at present it ranks among the best hotels of the valley. Mr. Ambrose married Miss Ella Flemm, at Lancaster, Nov. 10, 1868. She was the daughter of C. Flemm, one of the pioneer hotel men, and proprietor of the old Talmage House, of Lancaster. He died April 22, 1877. He was a native of Germany, and came to America when a young man. Mr. Ambrose was the eldest son of Frederick W. and Jane (Morrison) Ambrose, his father a native of Westmoreland County, Pa., and his mother of Maryland. His father died in April, 1871, and his mother in 1849. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. They had aarge family of three sons and four daughters, two sons and two daughters now living. Mr. Ambrose is a Mason, member of Lancaster Lodge, No.57. He is agent for the Mutual Life Insurance Company, of New York. He is one of the pioneer hotel men of the valley, an actibe business man, and has been identified with Logan since 1871. In politics he has always been a Republican. He deals extensively in real estate, and has built and owns quite a number of fine residents.
Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
JAMES NELSON ACKER, Deputy Probate Clerk of Hocking County, was born near old Straitsville, Perry Co., Ohio, Nov. 22, 1851. He lived with his parents, W.T. and Mary E. (Rosser) Acker, at his native place, Nelsonville and Logan until manhood, receiving an education in the common schools. At the age of eighteen years he began to learn the shoemaker’s trade, which he followed till 1875. In the spring of 1876 he was elected Constable, serving in that capacity two years. In the fall of 1876 he was elected Coroner of Hocking County, which office he resigned in the fall of 1877 to accept that of Sheriff of Hocking County. He was re-elected Sheriff in 1879, serving two terms. In May, 1882, he was deputized by his father, Probate Judge of Hocking County, Probate Clerk, his present position. May 31, 1876, he was married to Miss Effie Tannyhill, of Logan, by whom he has one child-Mary Blanch. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Logan.
Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
WILLIAM D. BUCKINGHAM, section 29, Starr Township, was born in Vinton (then Hocking) County, Ohio, March 29, 1842. He went with his parents to York Township in 1856 and came to this township in 1861. He was a soldier in the late war in Company E, Ninetieth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Captain Angle, who was killed at the seige of Nashville. He participated in the battle of Stone River, where he was wounded and thereby rendered unable for duty, and nine months later was discharged and now draws a small pension from the United States Government. Since the war his business has been for the most part that of a teamster. He was married July 31 1862, to Almira McCallister (her father, however, spells the name McCollester), a daughter of Abram McCollester. They have five children--Frank E, Charles G, Mary D, Martha J and Abram Curtis. Mr. Buckingham owns thirty acres of land. William Curtis Buckingham, the father of the above, was born in Starr Township, Hocking Co., Ohio March 8, 1819, and is a son of Philo Buckingham, a native of Connecticut, who came to Starr Township in 1817, and settled iin the woods. he resided here about twenty-seven years, then went to Jackson County, Ohio and in 1850 removed to Edgar County, Ill., where he died in the spring of 1851. He was brought up on the farm and received a limited common-school education. He was married Jan. 7, 1841, to Frederica D., daughter of August Schall. She was born in Germany, and brought to America at the age of five years. Mr and Mrs Buckingham had six children, four now living-William D., Caroline M., John A. and Andrew B. One son, George P., died at the age of seven years, and another, Charles W., a promising young man of twenty-two years, was killed by falling coal in the mine at Straitsville, this county. Our subject removed to York Township, as above stated, in 1856, and to Starr in 1861, where he now resides on section 29. He is a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity.
Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
ABEL CARPENTER, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Falls Township, Hocking County, July 22, 1836, and is the son of Sampson and Catherine Carpenter, who were among the early pioneers of the County. Our subject was reared on the farm where he now resides and received his early education in the common schools. He was married Dec. 5, 1861 to Miss Phoebe Ridenour, daughter of William and Rachel Ridenour. They have seven children- Simeon, Eliza, Christina, William, Edward and Emma. Mr. Carpenter has a fine farm containing 166 acres of improved land on which he has erected a very pleasant residence of modern style. He has held several offices of trust in both township and county. He has been Township treasurer and Trustee for several years and is at present time County Commissioner, this being his second term.
Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
JEREMAH CARPENTER ,farmer, second son of Samson and Catherine (Walters) Carpenter, was born in Falls Township, Hocking County, July 27, 1825. Soon after his birth his parents removed to Good Hope Township, where he lived with them until manhood. His first work for himself was shingle-making, which he followed for a few months. He then rented a farm six years, and in 1852 purchased the farm first entered by Rickey and Davis. He also owns and runs a saw-mill by water-power. He has worked at the cooper's and wagon-maker's trades, but has been principally engaged in farming, where he resides, in Marion Township since 1852. June 26, 1847, he married Phoebe, daughter of John and Christina, (Kline) Engle. They have four children, Elizabeth, wife of Lewis McGill, of Columbus, Ohio; Daniel, of Hocking County; Sarah, wife of John Hufford, of Hocking County; and Catharine, wife of David Dupler, of Hocking County. His wife died April 13, 1854, aged twenty-seven years. She was a member of the Evangelist church. June 7, 1855, Mr. Carpenter married Mrs. Magdaline, widow of Henry Heyd and daughter of Daniel and Susan (Friesner) Swartz, of Fairfield County, Ohio. They have six children, Susan, wife of William Elick, of Hocking County; Noah, Rachel, William, Wesley and Amos, at home. Lewis died in infancy; Frakie died in his second year. . Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Carpenter had two children by her first husband, both deceased, Lydia, born Sept. 23, 1851, died March 2, 1876; Daniel, born July 25,1853, died Dec. 24, 1878. from:  History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
WILLIAM A. COMER
The birth of this esteemed gentleman occurred in Hocking County, Ohio on September 18, 1843. His father, Charles, was a millwright, born in Ohio, in 1817, his grandfather was born in Vermont and his great-grandparents came from Ireland. The mother of our subject, Sophia Roush, was born in Ohio in 1817, and her mother, Eva Harsh, was a native of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Harsh's father was a soldier in the Revolution, moved to Ohio in 1810, and died in 1856, one hundred and six years of age, while Mrs. Harsh lived to be ninety-six years of age. The father of our subject died two months before the latter's birth and his mother died when he was five years of age, so his early life was spent with his grandmother. He remained with her laboring and attending school until eighteen years of age and at the breaking out of the war, he enlisted in Company D, Seventeenth Ohio Infantry, under Captain Charles Rippiey. He was sent to the Army of the Cumberland under General Thomas and participated in the battle of Mill Springs when Zollicoffer was killed in 1862. He fought at Stone River, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Jonesborough, and in many other engagements. At Chickamauga a rebel hit him over the head with a musket, his clothes were shot full of holes, his canteen was shot away and he was wounded in the leg. He was stricken there with paralysis and was discharged, but the doughty and intrepid man was not thus to be deprived of fighting for his country, and his interminable grit pulled him through and as soon as he was presentable again he promptly came to the front and re-enlisted and staid with the conflict until the close of the war, being in the fifty-eighth Ohio Company A.
Following the war, Mr. Comer went to farming in Ohio, and in 1868 he went thence to Coles County, Illinois, then to Edgar County, where he farmed and worked at carpentering for five years, and in 1874 we see him in Shelby County, and thence he went to Kansas in the fall of 1885, setting in Jackson County. Two years later he went to Logan and there homesteaded land. It was on June 15, 1889, that he landed, at Garfield and came over into Latah County, and here he has remained since, except for two years and one-half, when he was excursioning through Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and southern Idaho, returning here in the condition expressed by the laconic epithet "Broke." He went to work and now has one hundred and sixty acres of as fine soil as is in Latah County and located one mile west from Cora. He devotes himself to farming and stockraising, mostly the former. Mr. Comer married Miss Nancy R. Shoff on September 27, 1867, and she died in 1884, leaving the following named children: Edwin L., in Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Almeda V., wife of Andrew Smith, in Kansas; Eva M., deceased; Lydia E., wife of Charles S. Smith, in Latah County; Jeremiah E., deceased; Laura E., deceased; Nellie A., deceased; Isaac H., deceased.
The second marriage of Mr. Comer was celebrated on March 19, 1886, in Kansas, Alice E., daughter of Martin L. and Abby A. (Brinkerhoff) Hickman, descendants of the early Dutch stock that colonized New York, at that time becoming his wife. To this union there have been born the following issue: John A., Jesse H., Lee M. and Ruth U. Mr. Hickman was a carpenter, born in Virginia in 1832 and his wife was born in New Jersey in 1838, while the daughter, Mrs. Comer, was born in Grand View, Illinois, on June 23, 1855. Her brothers and sisters are named as follows: Anna J., deceased; Rachel J., wife of Earby Miller, in Chicago; Lydia B., deceased; Sarah M., in Chicago; Olive E., deceased; Orb S.; deceased; Owen G., in Chicago. Mr. Comer is assistant state lecturer for northern Idaho for the Alliance and is active in politics. He was candidate for state legislature in Kansas on the Union Labor ticket and for probate judge in Latah County in 1892 on the Populist ticket. In addition to his farming Mr. Comer devotes much attention to artist's labors, having gained commendable skill in this line.
from: An Illustrated History of North Idaho Western Historical Publishing Company 1903
Transcribed by Sandie Cummins
DANIEL CONFER, a well known farmer and popular citizen of Adams township, Gage county, Nebraska, has resided here since 1884. He is a frank and genial gentleman, successful in business, honored and esteemed at home and abroad.   He made a creditable record as a soldier in the civil war, and since returning to peaceful pursuits has done equally well in civil life.
Mr. Confer was born in Hocking county, Ohio, March 3, 1838, of a family noted for honesty, industry and sobriety. His great-grandfather was a solider in the Revolution. His grandfather, Andrew, was a native of Pennsylvania, and his father, John Confer, was born in Ohio, was a farmer and died in Wells county, Indiana. He was a Democrat of the Jackson type. He married Miss Eliza Poling. She was a member of the United Brethren church. They were parents of fourteen children, and four of the sons were soldiers in the Civil war: Daniel, William, of the One Hundred and First Indiana Infantry, killed at Chickamauga, Peter, in the One Hundred and Fifty-seventh Indiana Infantry and now living in Wells county, Indiana, and Samuel. Mr. Confer was reared on a farm near Bluffton, Wells county, Indiana, was taught the value of independent labor and received his education in the public schools. In September, 1861, he enlisted at Bluffton in Company A, Thirty-fourth Indiana Infantry, under Captain Swaim and Colonel Steele. He veteranized in February, 1863, and served till the end of the war. He was at the siege of Vicksburg for forty-seven days, until the stars and stripes floated over the fort on July 4, 1863; he was at Jackson, Mississippi, and under General Ord for some time. His regiment was then ordered to Texas, and was on duty there until the close of hostilities. After the war he located in Wells county, Indiana, and remained there until he came west in 1884. In 1864 Mr. Confer was married in Wells county, Indiana, to Miss Mary L. Robb, who has been a noble wife and mother for forty years. She was born in Warren, Trumbull county, Ohio, a daughter of Peter and Nancy Robb. Her brother, Rev. C. O. Robb, was a soldier in the war, and is now located at Pawnee city, Nebraska.   Mr. and Mrs. Confer have six children: Charles, John, William, Howard, Orman, and Martha Morical, of Firth, Nebraska. Mr. Confer is a stanch Republican.
He is a member of the Sergeant Cox Post No. 100, G. A. R., at Adams, being popular among his old army comrades as with all his fellow citizens and associates. He is a man of strong physique, endowed with physical and moral courage for all the trials of life, and has a career to be proud of, both in Nebraska and wherever has has had residence. He and his wife are both members of the United Brethren church.
Source: A Biographical and genealogical history of southeastern Nebraska" (1904) - Submitted by K. Torp
W.M.DAWLEY, born Oct. 16 1823, was a son of Nathan and Annie Dawley. His mother is still living. Mr. Dawley was born in Athens County, and was educated in the common schools of the county. He was married March 1, 1849, to Miss Agusta Pugsley, daughter of James and Elsey Pugsley. They have two children-Oscar D. and Hattie. Mr. Dawley owns 514 acres of fine land, on section 34, Ward Township, and is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He is an old settler of the county, and a reliable citizen. Politically he is a Republican.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
PHILIP DEVOLL was born July 2, 1811, and is the son of Joseph and Sarah Devoll, who came to Ohio from Rhode Island in 1811 or 1812, and located in Ward Township in 1839. Mr. Devoll was married in November , 1831, to Miss Sarah Allen, a daughter of Asher and Polly Allen. They are the parents of six children---Cynthia, Polly, Eliza, Lorilla, Emma, and Eva.  Mr. and Mrs.Devoll have been members of the Bible Christian church fifty years.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
DR. JOHN H. DONALDSON, son of Joshua Donaldson, of New Lexington, was born in Green Township, this county, Sept. 15, 1849. He attended Starling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio, from which he graduated Feb. 25, 1881, after which he immediately came to New Gore, where he commenced the practice of his profession, in which he has been very successful. Sept. 5, 1875, he was married to Mary, daughter of Cromwell B. Culver, of Gore. They have been blessed with two children--Orlando V. and Starling L.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
NICHOLAS EBERST, head keeper at Gore Furnace, was born near Logan, Ohio, Oct. 22 1843, a son of Gottleib Eberst, of Lancaster, Ohio. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm. He worked at Logan furnace ten years and at Winona Furnace two years, and in 1880 came to his present place of residence. June 22, 1865, he was united in marriage to Catherine Miser. The have had a family of nine children, six of whom are still living, whose names are Kate, George, John, Loretta, Edward and Frank. They belong to the Catholic denomination.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
NATHAN H. ESSEX, deceased, late of Starr Township, was born in Jackson Township, Morgan Co., Ohio, a son of Nathan Essex, a native of Maryland. He was reared on a farm and recieved a common-school education. He was married in January, 1849, to Elizabeth Jane Morris, daughter of John Morris, born in Morgan County, Ohio, Sept. 12, 1829. They have had eleven children, of whom ten are living-Charity A (now Mrs. Rogers), Calvin, E. Almira (now Mrs. Cook), Winfield S., Zelda V. (now Mrs. Wolf), Amne (now Mrs. Wolf), Hannibal H., Sherman S. and Nelson S. Mr. Essex removed to Hocking County in April, 1863, and settled on section three, Starr Township, where he resided and was engaged in farming and clearing his land until his death, March 21, 1873. He was a member of the Christian church at Mt. Zion. Mrs. Essex afterward married P.C. Blackburn, of Athens County.
Source: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago:Inter-State Publishing Co. 1883
JACOB FRIEND was born in South Perry, Hocking County Ohio, Jan. 15, 1848, a son of Orrin Friend. His grandfather, William Friend, was a native of Brownsville, Pa., and came to Ohio in 1804,four years later locating in Perry Township. Our subject was reared in South Perry, spending his youth in attending school and assisting his father in the tannery. When he was twenty years of age he gave his father $50 of his next year's earnings for his time and went to work on a farm by the month. Oct. 8, 1871, he married Nancy E. Wilkins, a daughter of John Wilkins, of Warren County, Va. At the time of his marriage he was obliged to borrow $15 to defray expenses. In 1877 he came to Laurelville and bought a house and lot on time, not having the money to pay for it. His property is now worth $3,000, and his prospects for a prosperous future are as bright as any young man's in the township. Mr. and Mrs. Friend have four children---B. W., Sarah C., Anna M. and Edward W.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
WILLIAM E. FRIESNER, school-teacher, third son of Simeon and Elizabeth A. (Zeller) Friesner, was born in Falls Township, Hocking County, Aug. 19, 1860, and lived with his parents until manhood, working on the farm. He received a common-school education and attended select school three terms. Since the age of  nineteen years he has been teaching school. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
SIMEON FRIESNER, deceased, farmer,son of Frederick and Leah (Fought) Friesner, was born in Perry County, Ohio, Oct. 4, 1823, and lived with his parents until manhood. He taught school a number of terms before he was twenty-one years of age. At the age of twenty-one years he purchased the farm near Enterprise, where his family resides and where he lived until his death. Sept.16,1847, he married Elizabeth A., daughter of Jacob and Catharine (Goss) Zeller. They had eight children, only three now living-Henry F., of Van Wert County, Ohio; Mary E., wife of Joseph Klinger, of Paulding County, Ohio; William E. at home. Lydia C., wife of William Knight, of Hocking County, died Feb. 13, 1873, age twenty-five years; Jacob F., July 4,1880, aged thirty years; Almeda J., Oct. 9, 1864:, aged six years; Simeon E., Sept. 17,186-1, aged one year; John W., Oct. 8, 1882, aged eighteen years. Mrs. Friesner died Feb. 5, 1865, aged thirty-seven years. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, May 8, 1865, Mr. Friesner married Sarah, daughter of Jacob and Catharine (Goss) Zeller. They had one son-Simeon L. Mr. Friesner died March 22, 1861. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. His widow and family now reside on the farm. :Mrs. Friesner is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
GIBBONS, FRANCIS A., FIRST LIEUTENANT .
Company H, Sixty-third Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry.
Francis A. Gibbons was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, March 8, 1820. He was a son of John Gibbons, an old settler in that county.  His ancestors counting back to grandparents, represented. Scotch. Irish and Dutch. About 1842, he removed to Hocking County, Ohio, and located in Starr Township. He was reared on a farm, but in business for himself, gave his principal attention to stock breeding, buying and selling. He was for years before the war engaged in buying stock for both Cincinnati and
eastern markets. He was among the last of the old time drovers, and was rated a rather successful one. When a boy his schooling was very limited, but he improved himself when he grew older, was a great reader, and became a gifted public speaker on social and moral questions. He greatly enjoyed public debates, on such questions.

His first wife was Priscilla Moore. She bore him six children, William, Marie, Hannah, Samuel, Lotta and Lewis Dalton. To his wife he always gave the principal credit for his success in life. He, with his second son. Samuel Gibbons enlisted as private soldiers in Captain Jackson's Company H, 63rd Ohio, in November 1861 without any suggestion or expectation of a commission but when the Company was full, it elected him First Lieutenant and he was so commissioned. He was a man of great soldierly taste and spirit. Prompt, cheerful, ready to obey orders, a good disciplinarian, and brave beyond all question, he served from the purest and most patriotic motives.
He took the field with the regiment and participated honorably in all its services whilst he was a member of it. This included New Madrid, Ft. Thompson, Island Number Ten, Siege of Corinth, the actions at Farming-
ton and battle of luka. His health failed. He was too old to stand hard campaigning and on September 30, 1862, his resignation was accepted and he went home.
After the war he moved west and located in Missouri, where his wife died. After this he removed to near Baxter Springs. Kansas, following his old business of stockman. In 1870 he married a second wife, Miss Loda Hibbard of Athens County, Ohio.
He died December 9, 1895. aged 75 years, 9 months and 1 day.
He was a prominent Mason, and in religious matters a Methodist.
Source: The History of Fuller's Ohio Brigade, Charles H. Smith, 1909
DAVID GOSS, cabinet-maker and undertaker, fourth son of Martin and Margaret (Strong) Goss, was born near Lancaster, Pa., March 27, 1813. When he was two years of age, his parents came to Hocking County, Ohio, and settled near Millville, where he lived until manhood, working on a farm and attending the common school. He began working at the cabinet trade when a boy, and when twenty-one years old opened a shop near Millville, where he worked three yeare, In 1837 he purchased the farm where he now resides, and worked at his trade until 1882. He has preserved measures of 2,500 coffins made by him during the time He has been engaged in the business. April 8, 1846, he married Magdalena, daughter of Frederick and Leah (Fought) Friesner, of Hocking County. They had ten children, five living - Martin, of Hocking County; Ellen, wife of John Evans; Effie, Ida, and Edward at home. Israel died in infancy; Simeon at eight years of age; Mary at four years of age. Frederick was drowned in the Hocking river June 4, 1865, aged thirteen years; and Emma, June 3, 1878 in her twentieth year. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Goss was born March 18, 1827, and died July 22,1871. She was a member of the Albright Church. He and his daughters are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
MARTIN GOSS, farmer, cabinet-maker and undertaker, son of David and Magdalena (Friemer) Gass, was born in Falls Township, Hocking County, Jan. 5, 1847, and lived with his parents until  manhood. During his boyhood he worked for wages, and received a common-school education. At the age of seventeen years his father put him to work in his cabinet shop, where he remained until twenty. two years of age. In February, 1869, he purchased the farm where he resides, and has carried on farming in connection with his cabinet and undertaking business. He has preserved memoranda of his work, and has made 200 coffins. He has the most beautiful location and residence in the county. Oct. 8, 1868, he married Lucinda A., danghter of George and Annamary (Pontius) Hansel, who was born Dec. 10,1847. They had one daughter Mary Magdalena, who died in infancy. They have an adopted daughter-Emma J. Goss. He and wife are members of the United Brethren church. He is Class-leader, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, and Superintendent of the Sabbath-school.
from:History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
THOMAS W GRIFFIN-- was born January 22, 1843, in Hocking County, Ohio, and died July 20, 1896, at his home in this county. He was a son of Henry and Betsy Griffin. He was married to Amanda James, January 17, 1878. She was born in Davis County Iowa, October 30, 1859, being a daughter of Isaac and Nancy James. They had two children: Nellie F, born August 11, 1879; Thomas Ray, September 15, 1890. Nellie is now Mrs. W.F. Florea. Mr. Griffin came here with his parents in 1857and lived here on the farm till grown. He farmed till 1881 when he moved to Kirksville {Mo} and engaged in the grocery business for two years. He was also in some business at Bullion for three years, then moved to Montgomery County {Mo}, where he remained till his death July 26, 1896. After his death his widow lived in Kirksville with her family till 1910, when she bought her present place. It consists of forty acres, one mile north of the city of Kirksville. She has a beautiful home. Her son lives with her and helps manage the farm. Source Info: "The History of Adair County Missouri" by E.M. Violette (1911)
Transcribed and submitted by Desiree Burrell Rodcay
JOHN HARPER was born Jan. 4, 1833, and is a son of John Harper, who lived in Cincinnati, and died with cholera in 1832. Mr. Harper was married March 20, 1850, to Miss Annie Harrison, who came from England about two years previous to that time. They have eleven children of whom ten are living-Catherine, Alice, Sarah, Benjamin, Lincoln, Lillie, Nira, Mary, Josephine and Blanche. Martha died when she was about four years old. Mr. Harper is a very successful farmer and has in his possession 100 acres of land, residing on section 14, Ward Township. He sold $16,000 worth of coal land in the last year. He is now, and has been for the last six years, Township Treasurer, and was Land Appraiser one year. from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
SOLOMON HARSH, farmer, second son of John and Christina (Stiverson) Harsh, was born in Falls Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, Feb. 14, 1822. At the age of twenty-one years he began farming for himself on his fater's farm. In 1848 he purchased lands in Laurel Township, and in a short time sold and purchased the farm where he now resides. He owns and resides on the farm first settled by his grandfather. He remembers when the State road was first opened, his father and Uncle Daniel Harsh having the contract for opening the road. Also remembers the first horse-tracks seen on the new roads. He has resided on the farm he owns since his birth, and has always farmed for a livelihood. Dec. 9, 1847, he married Mary A., daughter of Frederick and Barbara (Houseman) Elick, of Falls Township. They have had twelve children, six sons and three daughters now living - Johns S., of Wells County, Ind.; Emanuel C., of Mercer County, Ohio; Jacob F., at home; Daniel S., of Wells County, Ind.; George W. and Joel A., at home; Caroline, wife of Jacob Mathias, of Falls Township; Helena and Delilah, at home; William W., died at the age of thirty-four years in Cincinnati, Ohio; David A., at the age of twenty-three years; Lorenzo D. in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Harsh are members of the United Brethren church, he being Trustee.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
OLIVER D. JACKSON , owner and proprietor of mines and store,and founder of the town of Jacksonville, is the only son of Joshua H. and Mary (Bean) Jackson. He was born in York Township, Athens County, May 18, 1848, and lived there until 1854, when his parents removed to Ward Township, Hocking County. At the age of nineteen years he began teaching school, and taught during the winter season four years. Aug. 25, 1872, he and his father established a hardware store at New Straitsville, Perry Co., Ohio, under the firm name of J. H. Jackson & Son. In September, 1875, he purchased his father's interest and continued the business alone until May 1, 1877, when he sold a portion of his business there, and removed a portion of his stock to Bessemer and established a general mercantile store, and in November following removed his business to Buchtel, and April 1, 1878, he sold an interest in the business to the Akron Iron Company. He was then having full charge of the management of the store and live-stock business of the company until Sept. 10, 1882, when he sold his interest to the Akron Iron Company. In April, 1880, he purchased the first lands where he is now in business, and has added adjoining lands continually to the present time. He began business at this point Sept. 15, 1882, and is now shipping coal from his mines, and has a village laid out covering sixty acres. Sept. 7, 1875, he married Jane, daughter of David and Tryphena (Judd) Eggleston, of Ward Township, Hocking County. They have four children---Minnie E., William W., Frederick H. and Edward B.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
LEWIS F. KELLER, merchant, postmaster and station agent at Webb Summit, Hocking County, was born near Lancaster, Fairfield Co., Ohio, June 24, 1848. He was educated at Pleasantville, Fairfield County, and enlisted in the late war, Company I, Seventeenth Ohio Infantry, where he served nineteen months, participating in fourteen battles during that time. The most important of these were Resaca, Dallas, Kennesaw Mountain, Atlanta and Savannah. He spent three and a half years in Illinois, and was married Oct. 22, 1872 to Mattie, daughter of John C. Beery. They have one child-Mary Forest. Mr. Keller kept a hotel in Breman from 1875 to 1878, and in the latter year came to Webb Summit, where he succeeded Isaac Elder in the merchantile business, which he has since carried on with good success.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
ISAAC MATHIAS, breeder and dealer in short horn cattle and chester white hogs, Enterprise, Hocking Co., Ohio, eldest son of Abraham and Christina (Zeller) Mathias, was born in Falls Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, Jan. 25, 1827. He lived with his parents till manhood, receiving a common-school education. At the age of twenty-two years he purchased the farm first settled and cleared by his grandfather, Jacob Zeller, who settled on the land in 1805. On this farm is an apple-tree of the Penick variety transplanted in 1808, which measures ten feet in circumference five feet from the ground; a pear-tree planted at the same time now measures six feet seven inches in circumference five from ground. These trees are regular bearers of fine fruit at the present time. In April, 1850, Mr. Mathias removed to the farm where he now resides. He also owns other lands in this township. In April, 1850, he married Margaret A., daughter of John and Mary (Havener) Lanham, of Falls Township. They have five children - Lewis A., a physician; William P., a school teacher and member of the Board of County School Examiners; Sarah E., Joel B. and Edward S. at home. Mary E. died at the age of twenty-six years; Amos L., in his second year, and a son and daughter died in infancy. Mrs. Mathias died Jan. 6, 1878, in her fiftieth year. She was a member of the United Brethren church. April 27, 1882, he married Mrs. Martha Amerine, widow of Joseph Amerine and daughter of Jacob and Martha (Kelley) Reddick, of Washington Township. Mr. and Mrs. Mathias are members of the United Brethren church.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
PARLEY PHELPS, of Oreville, Falls-Gore, was born near Crossenville, Perry Co., Ohio, June 7, 1843, a son of Renodyne Phelps,also a native of Perry County. Our subject's Grandfather Phelps was a very early settler in Perry County, where Renodyne was born in 1807. Mr. Phelps served as a soldier in the late war in Company D, Thirty-first Ohio Infantry, and participated in the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, Pittsburg Landing, Perry ville, Ky., Hoover's Gap, Tenn., and Mineral Springs, Ky. He was wounded and taken prisoner at Chickamauga, where he was kept nine days on the battle-field, then paroled. He came to Camp Chase, and was exchanged the following May. After the war he prepared himself for a teacher, and taught sixteen months, when, in 1870, he engaged in the mercantile business in Old Gore; removed the store to New Gore in 1871, and to Oreville in 1872,where he has since resided, and carries on a good business. He was married Dec. 14, 1871, to Margaret T., daughter of John Nutter, of Green Township. They have four children---Cora E., Hester C., Maud M. and Samuel N .
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
WILLIAM EDGAR PLEUKHARPE, Assistant Secretary of the Motherwell Iron and Steel Works, was born in Falls Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, Dec. 25, 1854, a son of Daniel and Hannah A. (North) Pleukharpe. When he was sixteen years of age his parents moved to Logan. He attended the common schools till eighteen years of age, when he took a commercial course in the Zanesville Business College, graduating in 1873. In 1874 he was employed as clerk in the grocery store of H. C. Smith, remaining with him till 1877. He was then employed as weighmaster and bookkeeper for Culver & Stalter, dealers in lime and limestone, till 1879. In the fall of the latter year he was employed as manager and bookkeeper in the store of the Winona Iron Company, remaining there till December, 1881. He then went to Columbus and engaged in the grocery business till January, 1883, when he sold out and accepted his present position. Nov. 15, 1882, Mr. Pleukharpe married Margaret Boies, of Perry County, Ohio. He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church, of Logan.
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
EDWIN DARLINGTON RICKETTS, a Representative from Ohio; born near Maxville, Perry County, Ohio, August 3, 1867; attended the public schools; for twelve years was a teacher and superintendent of schools; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1899 and commenced practice in Logan, Hocking County, Ohio; elected as a Republican to the Sixty-fourth Congress (March 4, 1915-March 3, 1917); was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1916 to the Sixty-fifth Congress; elected to the Sixty-sixth and Sixty-seventh Congresses (March 4, 1919-March 3, 1923); was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1922 to the Sixty-eighth Congress; resumed the practice of law; delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1928; died in Logan, Ohio, on July 3, 1937; interment in Oak Grove Cemetery. from: The Political Graveyard
SAMUEL RIGGS, son of Noah and Nancy (Shepler) Riggs, was born in Washington County, Pa., May 22, 1828. When an infant his parents removed to West Virginia, and lived near Wheeling till he was seventeen years of age. In 1845 they located in Guernsey County, Ohio, where they lived nine years, when they moved to Hocking County, where they resided till their death. Our subject was married on Dec. 25, 1856, to Sarah Ann, daughter of Samuel Johnston, one of the first settlers of Hocking County. They have ten children - William J., married to Laura Wright, and residing on a part of the farm; Charles W., Elizabeth, Mary J., Orlando A., Louisa B., George W., Samuel G., Noah F. and Ethel M. After marriage Mr. Riggs moved to his farm in Washington Township, where he resided for twenty years. In 1876, he purchased his present residence adjoining his farm. In his business career he has been very successful, having begun life without anything, but by his industry and careful management he has at present an excellent farm of 567 acres. He has been connected with the Methodist church for twenty-two years, being at present a member of Mount Pleasant church. Politically he is a Republican, having always been a strong supporter of that party. Mr. Noah Riggs is a native of Washington County. He died in 1871. His wife, Nancy (Shepler) Riggs, a native of Westmoreland County, Pa., died in 1862. They reared a family of eight children, two sons and six daughters, our subject being the fourth child. from:History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
CHARLES WILLIAM SCHWENKE, freight and ticket agent of the C.H.V.&T.R.R. Company at Logan, is the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Later) Schwenke. He was born at Sugar Grove, Fairfield Co., Ohio. Sept. 28, 1858. He was educated at the public schools of his native place till he was sixteen. When fifteen years of age he learned telegraphy in the railroad office at Sugar Grove, attending school at the same time. On leaving home he went to Lancaster, Ohio, where he was employed as special operator two years, when he was sent to Columbus and employed in the dispatcher's office another year, after which he took charge of the telegraph office at the South Depot at Columbus. In July, 1879, he went to Logan, obtaining his present position as freight and ticket agent. He was married April 21, 1880, to Miss Mattie, daughter of George and Elizabeth (Davis) Strawn, of Logan. They are the parents of one child,-Clarence Henry. Mr. Schwenke is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran church, and his wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church of Logan.
from:History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
HON. JOSEPH C. STUMPS, Member of the Sixty-second General Assembly of Ohio, was born in Hocking county, Ohio, January 20th, 1824. He is the son of Peter and Mary (Culp) Stumps. His father was a farmer, and his advantages for an education were limited to the winter terms of the district school. Here he grew to manhood. Taught school seven years; served as Justice of the Peace two terms. He learned the trade of wool-carding and followed it seven years. He was married in May, 1844, to Malinda Julian, and in 1863 removed to Van Wert county, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits, and where he still resides. His wife having died, he married, in 1872, Dorothy Conrad. He was elected to the lower House of the Gen­eral Assembly, on the Democratic ticket, in October, 1875, and is holding this position at the present time (April, 1876).  Source:  The Biographical Encyclopaedia of Ohio of the Nineteenth Century ,Cincinnati:  Galaxy Pub. Co.,  1876
WARREN L. THAYER. The first appearance of Warren L. Thayer in Oklahoma was as a harvest man. About fifteen years ago he took up a Government claim in Harper County , and his prosperity and influence has been steadily growing ever since. He is now one of the leading citizens and business men of Laverne.

His birth occurred February 27, 1880, at Union City, Michigan , a son of Robert M. and Frances M. (Blosser) Thayer. His father, who was of Scotch parentage, was born June 17, 1855, at Jackson, Michigan , and was a lumberman until he came to Oklahoma in 1901. In that year he took up a claim in Woodword County and became active in the organization of Ellis and Harper County . He now owns and operates a large stock farm seven miles from May. Robert M. Thayer was married in 1877 and his wife was born November 30, 1854, at Logan, Hocking County, Ohio , a daughter of Abraham and Miriam (Graffis) Blosser, who were natives of Pennsylvania and of Dutch stock. Mrs. Thayer had a college education and is an active member of the Methodist Church. Their children are: Warren L.; Goldie, who was born March 23, 1888, and is now the wife of Bert B. Waltman, a railway official in Denver, Colorado : Pearl Blanche, who was born August 3, 1891, and is now the wife of Bynum Bouse, a rancher at Des Moines, New Mexico ; Ernest Blaine, who was born May 7, 1894, and now lives at Laverne, Oklahoma ; and Katie Lorena Thayer, who was born July 16, 1896, and is now the wife of W. T. McNeil of Beaver City, Oklahoma .

At the age of seventeen Warren L. Thayer completed a high school course at Knoxville, Tennessee , and at the age of twenty-one graduated A. B. from the Ewing and Jefferson College in Blount County, Tennessee . It was with this education and preliminary experience that he came to Grant County, Oklahoma , and spent his first season in the harvest fields. He also taught school one term. Then in 1901 he settled on his claim of Government land in Woodward County , and by hard work and good judgment has become one of the extensive farmers of that section, having a large tract under cultivation. For one year he was connected with the Spearmore State Bank of Laverne, but is now engaged in a prosperous life insurance business at Laverne. He is also interested in oil properties in Oklahoma and Texas as a promoter and developer, and having read law in the intervals of his business pursuits was admitted to the Oklahoma bar in 1916 and is now prepared to practice his profession. Mr. Thayer is a member of the Masonic Order, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Politically he is a republican.

On January 12, 1910, at Coleman, Texas, he married Miss Sallie May Smith, who was born at Alvarado, Texas , January 8, 1887, a daughter of Thomas and Emma (Quinn) Smith, natives of Texas. Mrs. Thayer is a granddaughter of Deaf Smith, a pioneer scout and frontiersman in Texas, a historic character in the Texas Revolution, and his name is indelibly impressed upon Texas geography in Deaf Smith County, which is now the largest county in area in the United States. Mrs. Thayer completed her education in a Texas college. They have three daughters: Helen, born January 19, 1911; Dorothy, born August 24, 1918; and Virginia Pauline, born February 16, 1916. Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma, Volume V ; by Joseph B. Thoburn; copyright 1916; [Transcribed by Andaleen Whitney]
ROBERT SKINNER VAN ATTA molder and machinist in the Logan Foundry, was born near Belvidere, N. J., May 9, 1822, a son of Samuel and Jane (Stout) Van Atta. His mother died when he was an infant, and when he was four years of age his father removed to New York City, where he lived with him till fifteen years of age. He then returned to Washington Village, N. J., and began to learn the trade of a molder in the foundry of his uncle, Jesse S. Van Atta, remaining there two years. In the fall of 1838 he came with his father and his uncles, Jesse, Nelson and Ralph Van Atta, to Ohio, and the following spring settled and founded a foundry five miles north of Newark, on the Mt. Vernon road, at what was afterward called and is now known as Van Attaville. He worked in their foundry four years when he started outas a journeyman molder, working in Pomeroy, Dayton, Newark and back again to Van Attaville until 1848 when he came to Logan, and in June of that year became associated with Raymond Belt and founded the Logan Foundry under the firm name of Belt & Van Atta. In April, 1853, he retired from the firm and returned to Van Attaville and with his Uncle Nelson and Noah Clouse formed the firm of Clouse & Van Atta and became proprietors of the Van Atta Foundry. Mr. Clouse remained with them a number of years when he retired, the firm then becoming N. & R. S. Van Atta. In July, 1862, Mr. Van Atta retired from the firm and was employed as a machinist in the shops of the Pan Handle Railroad at Newark till the following spring. In 1863 he returned to Logan and has since been employed in the Logan Foundry. In 1859, while he was a member of the firm of Clouse & Van Atta, he started for Pike's Peak, but on reaching Fort Kearney changed his mind and returned. From 1866 to 1868 he was Clerk of Falls Township. Nov. 14, 1850, Mr. Van Atta married Martha Jane Alexander, of Logan. They are the parents offive children, four now living---Frank A., an engineer on the C.,H.V. & T.R.R.; Albert B., telegraph messenger; Harry B.,assistant civil engineer on the C., H. V. & T. R. R., and Florence Ella. A daughter, Mary Alice, died in 1855 aged six months. Mr.Van Atta is a Master, Royal Arch and Council Mason, and a member of the lodge, chapter and council at Logan.
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
ANDREW W. VORIS, farmer, eldest son of Isaiah and Nancy (Hughes) Voris, was born near Bremen, Fairfield Co., Ohio, June 20, 1838. In 1849 his parents removed to Logan and lived two years. In 1852 his father purchased a farm three miles east of Logan. He was reared on a farm and educated at the common schools. At the age of twenty-one years he rented a farm near Gore. A year later he purchased a farm in Marion Township. Feb 14, 1865 he enlisted in Company H, Eighteenth Ohio Infantry, at Athens, Ohio, as a private for one years and was on garrison duty at Chattanooga, Tenn., until the last of May 1865. They were then transferred to Augusta, GA., where he was detailed on special duty in the commissary department. Nov. 9, 1865, he was mustered out near Augusta, GA., and returned to Columbus, Ohio, where he received his discharge, and returned home. Some time after returning from the Army he sold his farm and rented a farm one year. He then purchased the farm he had sold and in 1872 purchased the farm where he resides. Aug 7, 1860, he married Charlotte, daughter of Robert and Anna (McGee) Sanderson, of Hocking County. They have six children - Emma, wife of Noah Carpenter, of Hocking County; Charles J., Lucy, Iona A., Francis A. and Shady V. at home. William I., died aged three years; Benjamin J., in infancy; George, aged four years; Asa aged three years, and Augustus in infancy. His wife died June 22, 1881, aged forty-seven years. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He also was member of the some church and Superintendent of Sabbath-school.
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
WILLIAM WALTER
For about a quarter of a century the above named gentleman has taken active part as one of Ohio's public educators, and he maintains a high reputation among his co-workers and the public. As superintendent of the
Rushville school he has made a distinct success, bringing its various departments up to the highest status of effectiveness and productiveness.
Mr. Walter was born in Hocking county, November 20, 1804, son of Mathias and Lydia Ruff) Walter. The former a native of Germany, came to the United States in the thirties, and was an early settler in Hocking
county, Ohio. His family consisted of four daughters and three sons all of whom are now living in Hocking county, with the exception of two sons, living in Fairfield county. Our subject for ten years was a pupil in a district school in Hocking county, afterward attending the Ohio University at Athens for one year, followed by three summer terms at Crawfts Institute, near Lancaster, Ohio, and in 1883 received his first teacher's certificate. He first took charge of a district school in Hocking county for two years, and then was master
of an adjoining district school for three years, and for the five years succeeding was master of a Fairfield county rural school. The following seven years he ftlled the principalship of the Sugar Grove High School, and in 1902 was promoted to a similar position in the Rushville school, whose status he has raised to a point reflecting the utmost credit upon his training and ability. There are thirty pupils in the third class, high school, and fifty- five pupils in the other departments, and two capable teachers assist Mr. Walter in the management of affairs. Immediately after his first year's work as principal of the Rushville High School, he was elected superintendent of the Richland township schools in connection with his principal- ship of the High School. His work as superintendent of the township schools seems to have been entirely successful. From many sources reports came to him, both directly and indirectly, that the schools under his supervision are now experiencing a degree of success never before attained. Mr. Walter holds an eight year county certificate, is a member of the county board of examiners, also the Ohio Teachers' Reading Circle, the Fairfield County Teachers' Institute, and the Lutheran Church. In 1889 he was united to Miss Sarah Kull, of Sugar Grove, Fairfield county, Ohio, and they have a family of three bright children, one of whom is now attending school. Educational History of Ohio, James J. Burns, Historical Publishing Co., Columbus, Ohio, 1905
W. N. WOODARD was born in Starr Township, Sept. 29, 1841. He is a son of Ichabod and Eleanor Woodard.  He is a grandson of Daniel Nelson, the founder of Nelsonville, and one of the early settlers and old pioneers of Athens county, who died about 1835 or 1836.  Ichabod Woodard died on his farm in Starr Township, March 16, 1868.  Mr. Woodard received a common education in the public schools of his township.  He enlisted July 25, 1862, at the age of twenty-one years, in Company E, Ninetieth Ohio Infantry, and was in several battles of importance, under General Sherman.  March 25, 1875, he was married to Violet Smith, a daughter of John and Sarah Smith, of Moundsville, W. Va.They are the parents of four children, three of which are living---EstellaV., Lulu and Clyde B. John C. died when he was about six weeks old. Mr. Woodard died at Baltimore, Md., April 25,1879. He had been twice married, and left a son and two daughters. Appleton's Annual, 1879
DANIEL ZIEGLER was born 1811 in Muskingum Co. Ohio and lived on his father farm. He got a Land Patent in Hardin County Ohio 1838, but very soon Sold it. Daniel next got a Land patent in Hocking County Ohio. The 80 acres is at what is now a preserve Crane Hollow preserve. They were farmers the family was raised there, Febuary 12 1863 it was Sold to Mr Hood. Mary ann (Bell) died March 8 1866. In 1868 Daniel bought two lots in Williamsport Pickaway county Ohio. He sold that land in 1871 , He later bought a few miles away in Wayne township consisting of 8 acres. Died May 17 1895 Daniel and his wife spent some time in Ross county and are buried in Austin Strater cemetery in Concord township. Submitted by John Ziegler.

Back to Hocking County on Genealogy Trails

Adjacent Counties

Visit Ohio

Fairfield County
Ross County
Perry County
Pickaway County
Vinton County
Athens County

Visit our National Genealogy Trails Site