Mead and Lucinda Drake Bowen became one of the first families to live in Logan when they moved here in 1818. But like many of the families who came to inhabit Logan, they traveled a long way.
Mead was of Scotch and Welsh ancestry. He had been born in Calvert County, Md., on Jan. 3, 1782. At the age of 15, he left home and took a job at sea, working on ships for five years. When Mead was 20, he went to Battletown, Va., and worked as an apprentice in the cabinet-making business. He apprenticed for five years before opening his own store in Winchester, Va.
During his time in Winchester, he met Lucinda Drake. Lucinda had been born on Dec. 16, 1792, in Frederick County, Va., a daughter of Francis Drake, a lineal descendant of the famous English navigator of the same name from Queen Elizabeth’s time. Mead and Lucinda were married Nov. 15, 1810, in a small stone chapel on Brook Page plantation, eight miles south of Winchester.
They made their home in the village of White Post in Frederick County, Va. They had two daughters in that home. Then, during the fall of 1816, the family packed their belongings into a two-wheeled vehicle known as a “gig” and traveled across the Allegheny Mountains all the way to the village of Westfall in Pickaway County. Mead’s brother Isaac had made his way to Ohio a few years prior and was residing in Westfall. During their time in Westfall, Lucinda gave birth to their third daughter, Eliza.
They only stayed in Westfall for under a year, moving to Logan the following June. They lived in a cabin on Front Street, and got their water from what was known as “Bishop’s well.” During the early part of 1818, he purchased a lot on the corner of Main and Mulberry Streets. On that lot, Mead built the first hewed log house ever erected in Logan. Half of the house was used for the family to live in and the other half was used for Mead’s cabinet shop.
Five years after building the log cabin, Mead built a frame house next to it, the house being the first frame house built in Hocking County. Mead and Lucinda lived in those houses for 30 years. They had eight more children there, six daughters and two sons.
The family moved quite a bit after that. In 1853 they moved to another house on Mulberry Street. They lived there until 1863 when they moved again to a house on Hunter Street. They lived there until 1866 when they moved to a house on Main Street. Mead and Lucinda moved for the last time in 1873 to a brick house on the corner of Main and Mulberry Streets.
Mead passed away on May 7, 1877, at his home. His funeral was preached from the Presbyterian Church. All of the local businesses were closed for it, and many of the citizens of Logan came to the funeral. His body was laid to rest in Old Logan Cemetery. Lucinda would survive him a little more than five years, passing away on Nov. 21, 1882.
Note: While Mead’s tombstone spells his name as “Meade,” numerous newspaper articles spell it as “Mead.” I chose to trust multiple sources as opposed to one.
Reprinted here with the permission of the author.
Konrad Stump is a Springfield, Mo. resident with family ties to Hocking County. His columns stem from his genealogical research.