WILLIAM S. HANSEL, one of the prominent and successful farmers of Hopewell township, Mercer county, Ohio, is a son of Georgeand Anna Mary (Pontius) Hansel, and was born in Hocking county, November 26, 1835. His father, George Hansel, was born in Fairfield county, March 17, 1806, and was a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Friend) Hansel, both natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. They were the parents of seven children, as follows: Elizabeth, wife of John Stuyvesant, of Hocking county; George,father of the subject; Mary, wife of Daniel Beery, of Hocking county; Jacob, deceased; Henry, deceased; John, deceased; and Sarah, wife of James Keller, of Hocking county. About 1804 Henry Hansel entered a tract of land in Fairfield county, and when the father of the subject was yet a boy, he removed to Hocking county, where he entered 160 acres of land, upon which he spent the remainder of his life. George Hansel, his son, was educated at the fireside mainly by his own efforts, and received outside of his home education only six days instruction in the public school. In 1829 he married Anna Mary Pontius, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Pontius, and by her he had ten children, as follows: Catherine, widow of John Keller, of Hocking county; John and Henry, of Hocking county; William S., the subject of this sketch; Jacob, deceased; Elizabeth, widow of Jacob Marks, of Lima, Ohio; Mary Ann, who died in girlhood; Lucinda, who died February 19, 1896, wife of Martin Goss, an undertaker, of Hocking county; Eliza, who died when seven years of age, and Sarah Ann, wife of Henry Hiley, a farmer, of Hocking county.
Anna Mary Pontius was born in Hocking county February 5, 1805, her parents having been natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent, members of the Lutheran church, and early settlers in Hocking county. She and her husband at first lived on eighty acres of land in Hocking county, entered from the government, to which he afterward added eighty, which he purchased at a private sale. This land he cleared and improved, converting if into a good farm, and lived upon it until his death. To farming, however, he added the saw-mill business, erecting a mill which was run by water power, and which for thirty-two years he ran in addition to his farm labor, working much of the time on the farm by day and running his saw-mill by night. sleeping only as he caught short naps while the saw ran through the log. In this way he accumulated .his property and became a man of moderate wealth. Besides his farming and sawmilling he also to some extent followed the trade of carpenter, at least so far as the construction of his own buildings was concerned. He was one of the most public-spirited men of his time, and was a member of the New School Lutheran church, and took an active interest in all religious work. He and a Mr. Snyder, with but very little outside assistance, built a large church edifice in his neighborhood. He held all the offices of his church, and besides was the leader of the choir. His death occurred August 19, 1868, and his wife, who was also at first a member of the New School Lutheran church, died February 1, 1884, a member of the United Brethren church. William S. Hansel was educated in Hocking county, and on August 13, 1857, married Sarah A. Hanbey, a daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Cloud) Hanbey, and to their marriage there were born ten children, as follows: John, born September 6. 1858; Mary E., born January 5, 1860, and now the wife of Jasper Wilson, of Greene county; Lucinda, born July 23, 1861, now the widow of Henry Harmon, and living at home; George, born February 6, 1863, and now living in Auglaize county; Benjamin, born March 14, 1865, and died July 27, 1866; Emma, born November 19, 1866, and died January 19, 1867; Joseph, born April 15, 1868, a carpenter of Hopewell township; Henry, born November 13, 1869; Ida, born October 31, 1871, and now the wife of Jacob Bucher, of Hopewell township; August, born April 26, 1874, and living in Hopewell township as is also one grandchild, Jesse Orland Harmon, born April 8, 1885. The mother of these children was born in Hocking county, March 28, 1839. Her father was born in Delaware county, July 18, 1807, his father having been a native of England. On February 17, 1831, he married Elizabeth Cloud a daughter of Stephen and Keziah Cloud, and to them there were born twelve children, as follows: Keziah, deceased wife of John Higly; Eliza, deceased wife of John Hudson; Mary, who died in infancy; Samuel, who was killed by a falling tree; Sarah H., wife of the subject of this sketch; Elizabeth, Rachel, Wesley, Martha, all four of whom died in early childhood of scarlet fever; Benjamin F., who died of scarlet fever; Margaret, living at home, and Lucinda; deceased wife of Charles Adkins. The mother of these children was born in Delaware county, N. Y., July 5, 1812, was married in Pennsylvania, moved to Fairfield county, Ohio, in 1838, later removed to Hocking county, and there she died August 5, 1887, the father having died May 25, 1879.
William S. Hansel and his wife lived two and a half years after marriage in Hocking county, then on the home place about six months, and in August, 1860, removed to Mercer county, bought an eighty-acre tract of woodland, erected a log cabin, and began the hard task of clearing his farm. All of the improvements thereon he has placed there himself, and has bought additional land, until at the present time he has 120 acres in the home place, and forty acres upon which his son lives, and upon which he has erected a neat house, barn, etc. He is a general farmer, raises stock and buys and feeds stock for market. In 1876 he erected a good house on his home farm and in 1884 a fine, large barn. He has been a member of the Church of God for thirty years, has held most of the church offices, and at present is elder, and trustee of both church edifice and parsonage. He has also been treasurer of the Sunday-school for years. His services in the army of the Union, while not covering a long period of time, are yet worthy of record, as he enlisted March 13, 1865, and was discharged May 15, 1865— when he enlisted it not being known that the Rebellion was so near its final collapse. Mr. Hansel is, as will be seen by reading the above recital, a progressive man, public-spirited, and always ready to aid any good and worthy cause. In the best sense of the phrase, Mr. Hansel is a self-made man, and as such is highly respected by all that know him.
A Portrait and Biographical Record of Mercer and Van Wert Counties, Ohio Pt 1: A.W. Bowen, 1896
|John Hansen, of the firm of Burgess & Hansen, attorneys at law, was born in Laurel Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, Dec 8 1838, a son of Samuel C and Elizabeth (Kinser) Hansen. He was educated in the common schools, and when seventeen years of age commenced teaching, a vocation he followed at intervals for nineteen years. Oct 5, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Fifty-eighth Ohio Infantry, for three years, and at the organization of the company was appointed Sergeant. In July 1863, he was appointed First Lieutenant and Regimental Quartermaster and served in that capacity till his discharge, in January, 1865. He participated in the battles of Fort Donelson and Shiloh and many others of less importance. From September, 1862, till April 1863, he was on detached duty as recruiting officer at Cincinnati, Ohio. After his return home he purchased a farm in Laurel Township, which he carried on in connection with teaching. While teaching he for a number of years studied law privately and was admitted to the bar by the District Court at Logan, in December 1879. In 1875 he was elected Clerk of Courts of Hocking County, and served two terms of three years each. He was Justice of the Peace of Laurel Township five years. In February 1882, he became associated with L J Burgess and commenced the pracrtice of law. In 1870 he was appointed Assistant Deputy United States Marshal to take the census of one of the three districts of Hocking County. He has been a member of the Board of Education of Logan five years. In 1880, at the organization of the Hocking County Children's Home, he was elected a member of the Board of Trustees, and drew up the constitution and by-laws adopted for the government of the constitution. Sept. 18, 1858, he married Mary M McBroom, of Laurel Township. they have six children--Robert W., Eudorah V., Charles M., Homer A., Jennie V. and John E. One child, Pearly C., died in 1871, aged one year. Mr and Mrs Hansen are members of the Methodist church. Mr Hansen is a member of J K Rochester Post, No. 140, G.A.R.|
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
|Ephraim Harden, son of Even and Eliza Harden, was born in
Perry County, Ohio, April 29, 1831. In September of the same year
he came with his father to Hocking County, where he was reared.
He was married March 30, 1854, to Susan Stiveson, born in Hocking County, May 18, 1835, and daughter of John and Elizabeth.
They have four children—Joel, born July 8, 1855, married
to Rachel Campbell; Eliza Jane, born Oct. 29, 1856, wife of
Aaron Zeller; Lucinda, June 24, 1858, and Elmer, Sept. 8, 1865.
In June, 1856, he purchased eighty acres of land but did not reside on it till 1862. In April, 1878, he purchased eighty acres, having in one tract of land 160 acres, where he resides.
Polititically Mr. Harden is a Democrat, having always voted that ticket.|
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
|Even Harden, son of Ignatius and Rachel (Griffith) Harden, was born near Pleasantville, Fairfield Co., Ohio, March 12, 1805. He was reared in Perry County, and remained with his father till his death. In 1831 he moved to Washington Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, where he lived nine years. He bought his farm near Ewing in October, 1840, where he still resides. He was married Sept. 20, 1827, to his cousin, Eliza Harden, born in Bedford County, Penn., May 10, 1810, and died Jan. 5, 1880. They have six children, three of whom are living - William E., married to Lucetta Harsh; Ephraim, married to Susanna Stiveston, and Emily, wife of John Hansel. Politically Mr. Harden is a Democrat, he having cast his first Presidential vote for General Jackson. Ignatius Harden was born in 1710, and was an old Revolutionary soldier. In the fall of 1800 he moved to Fairfield County, and in 1805 he located in Perry County, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1827, he having lived to be 117 years of age. His wife died in the fall of 1856. They reared a family of twelve children, seven sons and five daughters. History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883|
|John Harper was born Jan. 4, 1833, and is a son of John Harper, who lived in Cincinnati, and died with cholera in 1832. Mr. Harper was married March 20, 1850, to Miss Annie Harrison, who came from England about two years previous to that time. They have eleven children of whom ten are living-Catherine, Alice, Sarah, Benjamin, Lincoln, Lillie, Nira, Mary, Josephine and Blanche. Martha died when she was about four years old. Mr. Harper is a very successful farmer and has in his possession 100 acres of land, residing on section 14, Ward Township. He sold $16,000 worth of coal land in the last year. He is now, and has been for the last six years, Township Treasurer, and was Land Appraiser one year. History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883|
|Solomon Harsh, farmer, second son of John and Christina (Stiverson)
Harsh, was born in Falls Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, Feb. 14, 1822. At
the age of twenty-one years he began farming for himself on his father's
farm. In 1848 he purchased lands in Laurel Township, and in a short time
sold and purchased the farm where he now resides. He owns and resides on
the farm first settled by his grandfather. He remembers when the State
road was first opened, his father and Uncle Daniel Harsh having the
contract for opening the road. Also remembers the first horse-tracks seen
on the new roads. He has resided on the farm he owns since his birth, and
has always farmed for a livelihood. Dec. 9, 1847, he married Mary A.,
daughter of Frederick and Barbara (Houseman) Elick, of Falls Township.
They have had twelve children, six sons and three daughters now living -
Johns S., of Wells County, Ind.; Emanuel C., of Mercer County, Ohio; Jacob
F., at home; Daniel S., of Wells County, Ind.; George W. and Joel A., at
home; Caroline, wife of Jacob Mathias, of Falls Township; Helena and
Delilah, at home; William W., died at the age of thirty-four years in
Cincinnati, Ohio; David A., at the age of twenty-three years; Lorenzo D.
in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Harsh are members of the United Brethren church,
he being Trustee.|
from: History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
The Hocking Sentinel
January 12 1899
A Hocking Pioneer
Solomn Harsh, the Oldest Native Born
Mr Sol harsh, who lives a few miles west of town, is the oldest living person born in hocking county. One day last week, Mr Harsh, as is often his custom, dropped in for a chat and to warm himself. The talk ran back to old times, and his life and experience, if written would be a history of our county.His grandfather and father came to Hocking in the beginning of the century and before the land had been surveyed and put in the market. They were squatters in the wilderness, continuing until a land office was opened at Chilicotee, when the land on which they had made clearings was bought at $2 per acre. Mr Harsh was born in the kitchen of the old log cabin in 1822. He worked on the farm, helping to clear it up and subsequently bought it and after a time when possessed of the rewards of his honest toil and good management, he built on the spot where stood the old kitchen in which he was born, one of the finest homes in Hocking. His clearings in the woods have expanded into a farm for the acreage in the county. He has a vivid recolations of his boyhood. The clothes were all made from flax at home. The wolves destroyed the sheep and hogs, and the only meat for years was wild game. Fagots were the only light, bridle paths the only road. Mr Harsh is the father of 12 children, 9 boys and 3 girls. As his children grew up and married, he gave them each a farm, and all are prosperous progressive. Now nearly 77 years of age, this old native to the manor born, is as cheery in heart as a boy in his teens and as strong and active and as full of work and business as any man in our county. We hope his years may be long continued and his life be held as an example for the young men, who have a living to make for themselves.
|Amos Hedges, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Perry Town-
ship, Fairfield (now Hocking) County, Nov. 17, 1833, a son of
Caleb and Mary (Clelen) Hedges. His father was born March
4, 1789, and his mother, Feb. 2, 1794, near Georgetown, Md.,
of English descent. They were married in 1814. His father
came to Ohio in 1812 and located the farm where our subject
was born. In the spring of 1813 he planted a cherry-tree, which
at the present writing (1883) is three and one-half feet in di-
ameter. Mrs. Hedges died in February, 1856, and Mr. Hedges,
in October, 1875. He had filled many offices of trust, both in the
church and township. Amos Hedges is still living in the house
where he was born. He was married Oct. 11, 1855, to Sarah J.,
daughter of George and Elizabeth (Shuck) Morgan, natives of
Pennsylvania, who came to Perry Township in 1843. They have
had the following children---Caleb Russell, Clark (died October,
1876, aged sixteen years), Eliza, Mary S., Cora D., Emma May,
Amos W., and two that died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Hedges are
members of the Methodist church. Mr. Hedges has been Justice
of the Peace since 1879. He has a fine farm of 160 acres.|
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
PERRY F. HEIDLEBAUGH.|
The proprietorship of the East View Farm of 160 acres in section 32 and 33 in Marion Township constitutes Mr. Heidlebaugh one of the highly successful farmers of Allen County, but in addition his interests have extended to some of the broader affairs of his community and his initiative and public spirit have helped sustain and promote several of the business organizations in which his fellow farmers and other citizens are vitally interested.
Mr. Heidlebaugh, whose farm home is three miles east and two miles south of Delphos, on rural route No. 1, was born in Hocking County, Ohio, March 22, 1856, son of Noah and Rosanna (Merick) Heidlebaugh. His parents were also natives of Hocking County, his father born December 25, 1832, and his mother November 9, 1834. They grew up in the same community, attended the same district school and were married in 1855. For two years they lived on a farm in their native county and then moved to Illinois, in which state they had their home until Noah Heidlebaugh entered the Union army. He enlisted rather late in the war and hostilities ceasedbefore he saw active service.
In the meantime his wife and children had returned to Hocking County, where he rejoined them, and he remained there an active farmer until 1872, in which year he moved to Allen County and lived in Marion Township, but subsequently went to Putnam County and died there January 30, 1893. He was a man of superior education and for a number of years taught school in Hocking County. At one time he held the oflice of township clerk and was an active democrat. His wife was a Methodist. In their family were eleven children, Willard dying in infancy, while the ten that reached mature years were: Perry F.; Harriet, born December 23, 1857, is the wife of Peter Stemen; Maria, born November 3, 1859, and unmarried; Martin, born September 9, 1861, is a graduate of the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, for many years was prominent in the Methodist ministry but is now living retired at West Plains, Missouri; Albert, born November 10, 1864, died in November, 1919; Minerva, born August 21, 1866, is the widow of John Downing; Amos, born January 29, 1869, died September 6, 1897; Newton, born August 17, 1871, lives in Hamilton County, Ohio; William A., born October 28, 1873, entered the army at the time of the Spanish-American war, served three years and is now a rural mail carrier; John, born August 25, 1876, was also for three years in the army, beginning at the time of the Spanish-American war and now lives in Hocking County.
Perry F. Heidlebaugh grew up on a farm in Hocking County and was about eighteen years of age when he came to Allen County. He had a common school education, and at the age of nineteen began working out as a farm hand. August 13, 1878, he married Elizabeth E. Brenneman, a daughter of David and Leah (Stemen) Brenneman. Her parents were born and were married in Fairfield County, Ohio, and soon afterward came to Allen County, where they entered land in Marion Township. They were highly respected and useful citizens of that community the rest of their lives and were active in the Mennonite Church. David Brenneman was a republican. Of the five children in the Brenneman family three are still living: Lydia, wife of Henry Chandler; Mrs. Elizabeth Heidlebaugh; and Samuel S., of Marion Township. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Heidlebaugh, but the first died in infancy. The other two are Marion B. and Leah Olive, wife of E. D. Howard, both being in Marion Township.
Mr. Heidlebaugh has given allegiance to the democratic party. He has also given some very efficient service to public office, serving as township trustee nearly seven years and also as a member of the School Board. He is now president of the Delphos Equity Exchange Company, and is a stockholder in the National and the Commercial banks at Delphos.
Marion B. Heidlebaugh, his son, is a successful farmer whose well-developed stock farm of forty acres lies in Marion Township, three miles southeast of Delphos, on rural route No. 1. He was born in the same township June 3, 1880, grew up on the homestead and made good use of his advantages in the local schools.
August 27, 1903, he married Goldie Redd, a daughter of J. W. and Emma (Herring) Redd. They have three children: William, born June 13, 1904; Breta, born May 17, 1906, and Albert, born January 20, 1917. Marion Heidlebaugh and wife are members of the United Brethren Church at Delphos, and he is one of the church trustees and a Sunday school worker. He is a trustee and for two years was treasurer of the Riverside Grange. Politically he is a democrat. Besides his farm interests he is a stockholder in the Delphos Equity Exchange and in the Delphos Rubber Company.
A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio Vol 2: William Rusler, American historical society, 1921
Henry L. Highly, a prominent and influential farmer residing on section 12, South Macon Township, was born on the 12th of June, 1835, in Muskingum County, Ohio, and is the eleventh child of the family of thirteen children born unto Thomas and Susan (Gist) Highly. The father was a native of Pennsylvania, was reared on a farm in the Keystone State, and after his marriage emigrated to Muskingum County, Ohio, where, in the midst of the forest, he hewed out a farm. There he remained for a number of years and reared his family, but at length sold out and removed to Hocking County, where he purchased a farm, upon which he passed the remainder of his life. He died at the advanced age of eightytwo years. The Highly family is of German origin. The mother of our subject was of Irish lineage, and she too was a native of Pennsylvania. Her death occurred at the age of seventy-eight years. Only four of the family are now living: Thomas A., who carries on farming in Cherokee County, Iowa; Henry, of this sketch; Samuel, a resident farmer of Hocking County, Ohio; and Elizabeth, wife of John Coon, also an agriculturist of Hocking County.
We now take up the personal history of Henry Highly, who is widely and favorably known in this community. He remained at home until fifteen years of age and then left the parental roof to begin work as a farm hand by the month. He was thus employed for three years, after which he engaged in farming on shares, operating the property of one man for ten years. It was in 1861 that he came Macon County, and for a year after his arrival he again worked as a farm hand. He then rented land for a year, after which he purchased eighty acres of railroad land, upon which he has since made his home.
In the Buckeye State, on the 6th of March, 1862, Mr. Highly was united in marriage with Miss Jane Gibson, of Hocking County, Ohio, a daughter of Patrick and Margaret (Flannigan) Gibson, who are mentioned elsewhere in this work in connection with the sketch of J. A. Gibson. The wedding journey of the young couple consisted of a trip to Illinois in a covered wagon, they reaching their destination after fourteen days. Their union has been blessed with two sons: Olney, who now carries on farming in South Macon Township; and James H., who aids in the operation of the home farm.
Mr. Highly is a warm advocate of temperance principles and embodies his views on this subject in his ballot, which he deposits in favor of the Prohibition party. He has served as School Director in his township for twenty years, and his faithfulness and fidelity are indicated by his long continued service. He would never accept other office, however, preferring to devote his attention to his business interests. Socially, he has been connected with the Masonic fraternity for thirty years. Himself and family are members of the Presbyterian Church, in which he has for some time served as Elder. Generous and benevolent, he contributes liberally to its support and gives freely of his means to all worthy charities. His life has been an honorable and upright one, well spent in the service of the Master. In his business career Mr. Highly has prospered and now possesses a handsome property, including a fine farm of three hundred and sixty acres, which is under a high state of cultivation and well improved.
Portrait anf Biographical Record of Macon County, Illinois: Lake City Publishing Company, 1893
JOHN H. HONE|
The subject of this notice bears the distinction of being one of the earliest settlers in this county, locating when a young man in Noble Township, at a time when few persons had ventured within its limits. He was practically without means, but nature had endowed him with the qualities of resolution and perseverance in a marked degree. These, coupled with his habits of industry, enabled him to carry out his desire of becoming a mail among men, and securing a-competenc}' for his old age. He is now numbered among the leading farmers of Noble Township, is the owner of 250 acres of improved land, and by his upright life has established himself in the esteem and confidence of his neighbors. He was especially fortunate in the selection of a life partner, Mrs. Hone having been the able assistant of her husband in all his worthy undertakings, and stimulating him to his best efforts. Now, sitting under their own vine and fig tree, they can look back with satisfaction over well-spent lives and enjoy the fruits of their early toils and sacrifices.
The family history of our subject is in its main points as follows: His father, James Hone, was a native of Hocking County, Ohio, in which State the paternal grandfather, Henry Hone, was also born, and practically grew up with the country. The latter became one of the leading farmers of Hocking County, in which he settled at an early day, and where he became well-to-do. James was reared to farming pursuits, and at an early age chose these for his vocation in life. Upon reaching man's estate, he became the owner of a fine tract of land, which he cleared from the forest, making a farm of 180 acres, upon which he resided until his death. In the meantime, during the proi gress of the Civil War, he, in 1863, at the age of forty-four years, enlisted with the 100-days' men. They were sent to Washington, where Mr. Hone was taken ill and died. Politically, he was a member of the Republican party.
The mother of our subject was in her girlhood Miss Mary A. Strawn. She also was a native of Hocking County, Ohio, and the daughter of John Strawn, a prominent farmer of that section. She is still living on the old homestead, and is sixtyfour years old. She belongs to the United Brethren Church. Our subject was the eldest of the thirteen children born to his parents. The next child, Safety M.. together with the eldest daughter, Rebecca, are residents of Hocking County, Ohio. Amy E. lives in Frankfort, this county; Mary A. and Eliza J. reside in Fayette County, Ohio; Ruth A. is in Hocking County, that State; Lizzie C. lives in Davis County, Mo.; Catherine M. is at home with her mother; Alice A. died when an interesting young lady of eighteen years; Harriet A. lives in Fayette County, Ohio; Deborah died in infancy, and James B. remains with his mother.
The subject of this sketch was born near Logan, Hocking Co., Ohio, Aug. 1, 1845, was reared upon a farm and received the advantages of the common school. He was at an early age required to make himself useful about the homestead, plowing as soon as he could drive a team. He was eighteen years old at the time of his father's death, and assumed charge of the farm, which he operated successfully until 1871. When reaching his majority, he started on his own account, still continuing on the farm until he could make arrangements to establish a home of his own. With this end in view, he was married, March 18,1869, to Miss Lucy Williams, a maiden of his own township, and born Dec. 9, 1848. (The parental history of Mrs. Hone will be found in the sketch of her brother, E. C. Williams, on another page of this volume.)
Mr. Hone, in the fall of 1871, decided to seek his fortunes west of the Mississippi. He came by rail to this county, and located on his present farm, which was then a tract of wild land, and for which he paid $7.50 per acre. He put up a small house 16x18 feet, and after getting in his first season's crops, proceeded with further improvements as rapidly as possible. He set out fruit and forest trees, fenced his fields, and six years later purchased forty acres adjoining at $6.50 an acre. He brought 120 acres to a good state of cultivation, and in 1884 added to his landed possessions by the purchase of 160 acres of land adjoining at $15 per acre. Of this amount, 100 acres are under the plow, a substantial dwelling has been erected, and the other buildings added, as required. The farm is now considered one of the best in this part of the State, admirably adapted to stock-raising. Mr. Hone keeps about fifty head of cattle, a herd of Poland-China swine and graded Norman horses, of which he has about ten head, and utilizes two teams in his farm operations. He has always maintained a warm interest in the agricultural resources of this county, and is a member of the Vermillinn Live Stock Association.
Mr. and Mrs. Hone have not been blest with children of their own, but some years since adopted a boy, Albert Marble, who was born in Noble Township in 1874, and who still remains with them. Mr. Hone, politically, is a straight Republican, and both he and his wife are members in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at Vermillion. Mr. Hone was a member of the building committee, and has officiated as Steward and Trustee. He has been School Treasurer of his district three years, and was Road Supervisor two years.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Marshall County, Kansas: Chapman Bros., 1889
|Owen R Huls, merchant, station and express agent, was born in Falls Township, Hocking County, Apr. 1, 1837, the son of William and Mary (Roberts) Huls. His father a native of New Jersey, and his mother of Pennsylvania, came to Ohio about 1833 and located in Hocking County. Our subject was reared on the farm and received his education in the common schools, attending the University at Westerville one term. He began teaching school when eighteen years of age and taught thirteen years. He was married in 1860 to Miss Ann M. Cupp. They were the parents of two children - O. Willard and Wm. Howard. His wife died Jan. 1, 1864. He was again married Nov. 26, 1866, to Susan L. Cupp, a sister of his first wife. They have seven children - Frank M., Chas. B. and Wm. L. (twins), Cora, James C., Henry M., Daisy. Mr. Huls has held the office of Township Trustee for two terms, and now is a Justice of the Peace, serving his second term in this office. He has been notary public for about eighteen years. He and his wife are members of the Advent church. Politically he is a Republican. History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883|
|Captain William H Huls, born in Falls Township, Apr. 1, 1837, is the son of William and Mary (Roberts) Huls. The father was born in New Jersey, June 8, 1806; came to Ohio in 1827 and located at Canal Winchester where he became engaged on the canal locks which were being constructed at that place. Here he was married, Oct. 22, 1829, to Mary, daughter of Owen and Letitia (Williams) Roberts. They moved to Falls Township in 1836 where Mr. Huls worked on Bonner's lock, after which he became engaged in farming. They joined the Methodist Episcopal church in 1830, in which they remained until 1848, when they joined the United Brethren church, of which they were members at the time of the father's death, Feb. 11, 1868. The mother remained a member of hte above church until 1870, at which time she joined the Advent Christian church at Rockbridge, Ohio, of which she was a member at the time of death, June 15, 1874. Both are buried in the Antioch cemetery. Our subject remained with his parents until he reached his majority and received a common-school education. He taught his first and last term of school in the Kline district during the winter of 1860. At the breaking out of the late civil war he was engaged in learning the carpenter's trade, but Oct. 5, 1861, enlisted in Company H, Sixty-first Ohio Infantry, as a private; was soon elected Second Lieutenant, and Oct. 2, 1862, was promoted to First Lieutenant, and Jan. 1, 1864, to Captain, which commission he held at the close of the war. During his service in the army he participated in several hard-fought battles, among which were Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Johnson' Landing, Miss., and was on the gun-boat Pittsburg when she ran the blockade of Vicksburg. He was mustered out of the service at Columbus, Ohio, Jan. 14, 1865, after serving four years and three months. On leaving his company he came to Rockbridge where he now resides. He was married June 30, 1864, to Miss Elizabeth Weltner. They have six children - A. Eugene, Iola Bell, Winona E., William M., Eva J. and Bertha E. Mr. Huls was appointed notary public in April, 1882. He and his wife are active members of the Advent Christian church. History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883|
GEORGE E. HUNTER.
George E. Hunter, the president of the People's Cash Grocery Store, and a well known business man of Bianchester, Ohio, was born in Hocking county, Ohio in 1866, the son of Kirts and Susan (Poling) Hunter, the former of whom was a native of Tuscarawas county, Ohio, and the latter a native of Hocking county, same state. Kirts Hunter was a farmer by occupation.
George E. Hunter was educated in the public schools of Hocking county, and was
reared on his father's farm in that county. After leaving school he established a general store at Haynes in his native county which he operated for sixteen years, being very successful in that line. In 1905 he removed to Bianchester and purchased the interests of Logan S. Lorish, grocer. In his store, and continued the business of that location until 1910, when the store was incorporated as the People's Cash Grocery Store, with George E. Hunter as president, at which time the store was moved to its present location. Mr. Hunter is interested in the Star Hame Company, of which he is now serving as vice-president. In 1889 Mr. Hunter was married to Ella Mettler, and to this union two children were born, Nellie F. and Porter E. In 1907 Mr. Hunter married, secondly, Edna Hogen, a daughter of D. W. Hogen, and to this union has been born one child, Jeannette Hogen Hunter.
Mrs. Hunter is a member of the Universalist church. Fraternally, George E.
Hunter is a member of the Knights of Pythias. |
History of Clinton County, Ohio: B.F. Bowen, 1915
LEWIS J. HUNTER.
To make a success of agriculture, it is necessary to be something more than a hard worker. A farmer might labor from dawn to twilight every day in the year and yet fail to accomplish much. There must be sound judgment and discretion exercised at the same time as well as a knowledge of soils, grains, live stock and, in fact, general business. The man who accomplishes much as a farmer in these days should be accorded a place with men who succeed in other walks of life, for often it requires more ingenuity and courage to manage a farm successfully than anything else that claims the attention of men. Lewis J. Hunter, a most successful farmer of Paint township, Madison county, Ohio, has achieved success in life, partly because he has worked for it and partly because he has been a good manager and a shrewd business man. Mr. Hunter owns a tract of six hundred and fifty-six acres, all of which is in Paint township except nine acres which is located in Clark county.
Lewis J. Hunter was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, February 7, 1862, the son of Joseph and Dorcas (Deems) Hunter, the former of whom was born at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, August 4, 1824, and the latter at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, January 7, 1825. They were married on January 28, 1847, and were prosperous farmers in Pennsylvania, in Pickaway county, Ohio, and in Madison county, Ohio. To them were born eight children, two of whom, Eliza, the firstborn, and Samuel A., the twin brother of Anna are deceased. Eliza was born on December 8, 1847, and died on May 30, 1901. Samuel A. died on July 1, 1905. The six living children are as follow: James W., born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, April 5, 1850. who is a resident of Plain City and a farmer by occupation; Mary L., born in Tuscarawas county, May 29, 1852, is the wife of John Penn and lives in Pickaway county; Rebecca J., born in Hocking county, Ohio, July 2, 1855, is the wife of Allen Kibler, of Waynesville, Warren county, Ohio; Anna M., born in Hocking county, November 9, 1857, is the wife of Baxter E. Tumblison, of South Charleston, Ohio; Lewis J. is the subject of this sketch; George D., born in Pickaway county, January 6, 1866, is a resident of Indianapolis, Indiana.
Joseph and Dorcas (Deem) Hunter, the parents of these children, were farmers. After their marriage they immigrated from Guernsey county, Pennsylvania, after three or four years, to Pickaway county, Ohio. After farming in Pickaway county until 1877 they moved to Madison county and settled in Paint township. Later Joseph Hunter bought a small farm in Union township. He died here on August 10, 1887. His beloved wife died on November 2, 1892. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Lewis J. Hunter received his education in the country schools of Pickaway and Madison counties, Ohio. He was reared on the farm.
On December 23, 1886. at the age of twenty-four, Lewis J. Hunter was married to Keturah Stroup, the daughter of Jesse and Lavina (Woosley) Stroup, the former of whom was born on March 1, 1828, in Madison county, Ohio, and the latter was born on July 5. 1842, in Clark county. Mr. and Mrs. Stroup were married in Clark county on April 17, 1866, and have had six children, all of whom are living. Their children are as follow: Keturah, who was born on May 4, 1867, in Clark county, Ohio, is the wife of a Mr. Hunter; Mary, born in Clark county, August 4, 1868, married George Clemans, of that county; Rebecca, also born in Clark county, August 4, 1870, married Reeder Bennett, of Clark county; Emma, born in Clark county, February 8,, 1874, is the wife of James Lewis of that county; Jesse B., born in Madison county, March 20. 1879; and Lula B., born in Madison county, January 4, 1884. Jesse Stroup was a farmer and stockman. After having farmed for many years in Clark county, he and his wife moved to Madison county in the spring of 1875 and settled in Paint township, where he farmed in 1887, when he retired and moved back to Clark county, settling near Charleston. There he died on January 21, 1909. His wife died on April 8, 1915. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
To Mr. and Mrs. Lewis J. Hunter have been born six children, only one of whom, Leroy S., the eldest, is deceased. He was born on December 11. 1887, and died on August 5, 1889. The five living children are Carl Edgar, a resident of Paint township, born on August 20, 1889, married Pearl Silver on August 27, 1910, and she died on February 20,1914: Jessie Leota, born on March 28, 1895; Clarence, January 29, 1899; Hazel Louise, February 15, 1905; and Harold Lewis, October 16, 1907, all of whom are at home.
Mr. Hunter owns six hundred and fifty-six acres of land, practically all of which is located in Madison county. The land is all well improved and Mr. Hunter himself has made most of the improvements on the farm. On “Pleasant View Farm." which is located about four miles east of South Charleston, Mr. Hunter raises a very high grade of sheep, horses, cattle and hogs. He is essentially a stock farmer. Politically, Mr. Hunter votes the Republican ticket. In a public way, he has served as president of the township board for the past two years. Formerly, he was a member of the school board for eighteen years. Mr. and Mrs. Hunter are members of the Grange, at South Charleston, and all of the members of the Hunter family are connected with the Methodist church. There is no family living in Madison county that more thoroughly deserves the respect and confidence of their neighbors than that of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis J. Hunter, of Paint township.
History of Madison County, Ohio; Chester Edwin Bryan, Windmill Publications, 1915
|James Elder Huston, superintendent of the cabinet department and stockholder in the Logan Furniture Company, was born in Armagh, Indiana Co., Pa., July 18, 1822, a son of John D. and Margaret (Elder) Huston. When he was three years of age his parents came to Ohio, settling in Putnam, but a year later removed to Madison, Perry County. He attended the common schools till fifteen years of age, when he went to Norwich, Muskingum County, and became apprenticed to William Stephenson to learn the cabinet and chair-maker's trade, serving four years and five months. He then worked as a journeyman till 1842, when he opened a cabinet shp at Loudonville, Ohio. IN 1848 he removed his business to Somerset, remaining there till 1857, when he went to Lancaster and was employed as foreman of the painting department of the C. & M. R. R. shops. In 1873 he came to Logan and became a stockholder in the Logan Manufacturing Company. In 1880 he withdrew fro the company, and with others organized the Logan furniture company, of which he was secretary and treasurer till 1882; since then he has been superintendent of the cabinet department. In May, 1844, Mr. Huston married Ann Prutzman, who died in June, 1866, leaving ten children, nine now living. He afterward married Mrs. Mary J. Jenkins, who died in April, 1872, leaving no children. His present wife was Miss Virlinda Bright, of Logan. They have two children. Mr. and Mrs. Huston are members of the Methodist church. He is a Master, Royal Arch, Council and Knight Templar Mason, a member of the lodge at New Salem, chapter and council at Logan, and commandery at Lancaster. He has passed the chairs of all excepting the commandery, of which he has been Prelate. While in Somerset, Mr. Huston served as Mayor from 1851 till 1853. History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883|