L. H. Randolph, president of the Peoples Bank of Bandana and owner of the dependable hardware and implement business he is conducting under his own name, is one of the substantial men and public-spirited citizens of Bandana, and one who is well known all over Ballard County. He was born in Hocking County, Ohio, June 11, 1863, a son of David Owen Randolph. The Randolph family was established in the American Colonies by Paton Randolph, a sea captain of English nativity, who bceame a property owner in that portion of Virginia which later became West Virginia. John Randolph, the great-grandfather of L. H. Randolph, was surveyor for the Ohio Company which purchased the Northwest Territory, and he died in Hocking County, Ohio, in 18o9. His son, James Randolph, was born in 18oo in Hampshire County, in what is now West Virginia, the same county which gave his father birth, and he died in Hocking County, Ohio, in 1874. He was a farmer and school-teacher. James Randolph was married to Jane Pugsley, who died in Hocking County, Ohio. L. H. Randolph also traces his ancestry back to the prominent Colonial family of Owens of Virginia.
David Owen Randolph was born in Ohio in 1824, and died in Hocking County, Ohio, in 1881. Marrying in Morgan County, Ohio, he settled in Hocking County, Ohio, and divided his time between farming, schoolteaching and working for the municipality. In politics he was a republican, but did not hold office. The Church of Christ had in him an earnest member and generous supporter. During the war between the North and the South he served in one of the 1oo day regiments from Ohio, and for five years was a member of the Ohio Home Guards. David Owen Randolph was married to Susannah Morris, who was born in Morgan County, Ohio, in 1826, and died in Hocking County, Ohio, January 22, 1880. Their children were as follows: Alpha May, who married Rolando R. Russell, a general workman of Columbus, Ohio; L. H., whose name heads this review; Harrison Tell, who is a farm owner and electrician for mining companies, lives near Monongahela, Pennsylvania; and Dorsey Scott, who is also a farm owner and electrician for mining companies, lives in the vicinity of Monongahela, Pennsylvania.
L. H. Randolph was reared in Hocking County, Ohio, where he attended the rural schools, and then took a teachers training course and one in bookkeeping at the Ohio Central Normal College at Pleasantville, Ohio. During 1892 and 1893 he was a student of the Kentucky Transylvanian University at Lexington, Kentucky. For the subsequent year Mr. Randolph was engaged in selling school supplies, and then, beginning in the fall of 1894, was engaged in teaching in the rural schools of Ballard County, Kentucky, for four years. In the meanwhile he taught a session public school in Sumner County, Tennessee, and did some farming. On September 3o, 1899, he opened a hardware and implement store at Bandana, Kentucky, beginning his business career in a very modest way, but as in it he found his life work he steadily advanced, enlarging his stock to meet the demands of the trade he was able to build up and today has the largest establishment of its kind in Ballard County. In addition to his store he has many other interests, and owns his large store building on the corner of Ohio and Mississippi streets, the flour mills on Mississippi Street, which have a capacity of twenty-five barrels per day and which in 1919 ground 15,000 bushels of wheat, a modern residence on Mississippi Street, which is equipped with electric light plant and water works, as are his store and mills, the Delco system of lighting having been installed. He is president of the Peoples Bank of Bandana, which was organized June 21, 1918, he being one of the men who established it. The officers of the bank are: L. H. Randolph, president; John Holt, vice president; W. L. Roland, cashier; and J. M. Thomas, assistant cashier. The bank has a capital of $15,000; surplus and undivided profits of $12,000, and deposits of $75,000.
In February, 1896, Mr. Randolph was united in marriage with Miss Mary Elizabeth Dorris in Sumner County, Tennessee. Her parents, Ira and Martha (Purcell) Dorris, are both deceased, but during his lifetime Mr. Dorris was a prominent farmer of Sumner County, Tennessee. Mr. and Mrs. Randolph became the parents of the following children: Harrison Calhoun, who was born in February, 1897, is assisting his father and has been so employed since boyhood, was educated in the Bandana public schools, and was in the draft during the great war, but the armistice was signed before he was called into the service; Paul Dorris, who was born in November, 1899, is operating his father's flour mills and lives at home; Alma May, who was born in March, 1902, is in the last year of the Bandana High School; Lewis Homer, who died at the age of twentytwo months; and Lawson Homer, who was born June 6, 1908. Mr. Randolph has served as a school trustee. He belongs to the Church of Christ, and is now an elder of it. A man of unusual capabilities, he has conserved his talents and turned them to good account. Under his wise and conservative management his bank has taken a leading place among similar financial institutions of the county, and his connection with it gives it added solidity, for his business acumen is unquestioned. His pride in Bandana is deep and sincere and he is anxious to see it advance, but he is too level-headed to countenance any movements which in his opinion will not work out for a sane and economic expenditure of the taxpayers' money.
History of Kentucky, Vol. 5: Ellis Merton Coulter, American Historical Society, 1922
|PETER RAUCH was born in Yellow Creek, Pa., Aug. 12, 1836.
His father, Peter Rauch, was a native of Germany, coming to this
country when a young man. He was married to Mary Magdalene
Bower in Pennsylvania, and remained in that State a few years.
In 1838 they moved to Ohio, where they settled in Washington
Township, Hocking County. After living here three years he
died, leaving a widow who still survives him. They were the
parents of four children, three of whom lived to maturity. Their
son, Frederick, was killed by a freight train June 9, 1881. Peter
Rauch, our subject, left his home in December, 1853, and com-
menced to learn the saddler's trade at Logan, at which he contin-
ued there till December, 1859. He next went to Delaware County,
Ind., and worked at his trade till March, 1862, when he returned
to Hocking County and tried farming for a year. In 1863 he went
to Logan, again working at his trade three years, when his health
began to fail him. Accordingly in 1867 he purchased the old home
farm, and sold it in 1875, when he bought his present farm. He
has 120 acres of well-improved land. Dec. 31, 1863, he was mar-
ried to Hannah Kimble, born Oct. 10, 1843, and daughter of
George and Bethena (Watts) Kimble. They are the parents of
eleven children, whose names are---Mary Ellen, Laura, Clara, Cora
May, Emma, Nettie Myrtle, Charles, Minnie Arvilla, Iona and
Miona (twins), and William. Politically Mr. Rauch favors the
Democratic party. However, in local elections he always votes for
the man he deems best fitted for the office, irrespective of party.|
from:History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
Wesley F Reddick was born Jan. 4, 1839 in Washington Township, Hocking Co., Ohio, about a mile from his present residence. His father, Jacob Reddick, was born in Maryland in 1794, and when a young man moved to Perry County, where he worked the blacksmith’s trade a few years. He was married in Perry County to Martha Kelley, a native of Virginia. In 1829 he settled in Washington Township, Hocking County, where he worked at his trade for eight or ten years, spending the rest of the time at farming till death, which occurred May 19, 1869, aged seventy-five years. His wife died June 15, 1879, at the age of seventy-five years. They had thirteen children, all but one living to maturity, and eight are living at the present time, whose names are – William, George, Joseph, L.H. [Leonard H.], W.F. [Wesley F.], Elizabeth (wife of Cromwell Egleston), Mary (wife of Isaac Johnson), Martha (wife of Isaac Mathias). Wesley F. Reddick was reared in Washington Township, living with his father till his twenty-first year. In 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Seventy-fifth Ohio Infantry, Captain Pilcher, and Colonel McLean commander of the regiment. He served three years and two months, having participated in the battles of Bull Run, Gettysburg, Gainseville, and an engagement at the Rappahannock. He was mustered out of service in the winter of 1864, and reached home Jan. 3, 1865. From 1865 to 1872 he lived in Packaway and Hocking Counties and in Illinois, and in August, 1872, he returned to Hocking County and purchased his present farm, containing 158 acres, situated near New Mount Pleasant. He was married in October, 1873, to Mary Elizabeth, daughter of George Sonders. She died May 3, 1875. Mr. Reddick was again married March 16, 1877, to Eleanor Jane Clark, who was born in Belmont, Jan. 13, 1841, and reared in Vinton County from the time she was two years old. They have two children – Charlie B., born Jan. 4, 1878, and Carrie Iretha, born Dec. 23, 1882. Mr. Reddick is a member of the Methodist church and a Republican in politics.|
Transcribed and submitted by Haley Snell
from:History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
JACOB REID, one of the successful farmers as well as well-known and valued citizens of Salt Creek township, owns a well—tilled farm of 103 acres, on which he has been located since 1891. Mr. Reid was born in Hocking County, Ohio, October 28, 1851, and is a son of Andrew and Anna M. (Hoffman) Reid. Andrew Reid was born in Hocking County, Ohio, where he resided all his life, dying there in July, 1897. His father, John Reid, settled in Hocking County when the whole country was covered with woods and the family has many respected representatives all through that section. The mother of our subject was born in Fairfield County, Ohio. Jacob Reid was reared in Hocking County and was educated in the schools of Benton township. He started out in life dependent in a great measure upon his own resources, and has acquired what he owns through his own persistent industry and good business management. His life has always been devoted to agricultural pursuits. His present farm is favorably situated for general agriculture and stock-raising, and under his excellent methods large crops and fine cattle are produced. His improvements are such as to make a comfortable and pleasant home. On March 6, 1890, Mr. Reid was married to Ina M. De Haven, who was born in SaltCreek township, Hocking County, Ohio, and is a daughter of John C. De Haven, of that section. Mr and Mrs. Reid have four children, viz.: Roscoe A., EthelL., Fred N. and Floyd L. Mr and Mrs Reid are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Tarlton.
Mr. Reid has served as school director of District No. 1, Salt Creek township, and has always been earnest in his efforts to promote the efficiency of the public schools. He is a man who enjoys the confidence and good will of his neighbors an fellow citizens.|
History of Pickaway County, Ohio and Representative Citizens; Aaron R Van Cleaf, Unigraphic 1972
John W. Reynolds, one of the early settlers and highly respected citizens of Fairfield county, now resides in Hocking township. His birth occurred in Madison township near Clearport on the 19th of October,1835. He is a son of William and Mary Ann (Hedges) Reynolds, and the family is an old and prominent one in this portion of the state. His father was born in Madison township and was a son of Richard Reynolds, whose birth occurred in the state of Delaware. At a very early epoch in the history of the state of Ohio, however, he emigrated westward and took up his abode in this county. He died in early manhood, when his children were quite small. William Reynolds, the father of our subject, was a witness of much of the improvement and development of this portion of the state. He visited Lancaster before there was a railroad there or even a pike had been completed in the county. Farming was his chief occupation through .life, and he followed that pursuit in Fairfield county for a number of years and subsequently removed to Hocking township, where he made his home until his death. There he also devoted his energies to the tilling of the soil, and his labors resulted in securing large crops. He died in 1863 on the fifty-first anniversary of his birth. His political support was given the Whig party in his early life, and on its dissolution he joined the ranks of the new Republican party, which he always endorsed by his ballot, but he never sought political office as a result for public fealty. His Christian faith was indicated by his membership in the Methodist church, and he took an active part in its work, earnestly striving to promote the cause of the denomination. His wife was born in Fairfield county and was a daughter of Caleb and Elizabeth Hedges. Her father was one of the old and honored settlers in Fairfield county, and lived and died upon the family homestead. Mrs. Mary Ann Reynolds still survives her husband, and is now residing with one of her sons in Delaware county, Ohio, at the age of eighty-seven years. She has long been a devout member of the Methodist church and is beloved by all who know her for her many excellent qualities of heart and mind. By her marriage she became the mother of twelve children, six of whom are yet living.
John W. Reynolds, the eldest of the family, remained in the place of his nativity until about thirteen years of age, when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Hocking county, remaining with them until he had attained the age of twenty-two. Three years later he was married, and he was twenty-eight years of age when, in response to the country's call for aid to suppress the rebellion, he enlisted May 4, 1864, in Company I, One Hundred Fifty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he served until August 28, 1864. He was then discharged at Camp Chase, Columbus, and was appointed provost marshal, filling that position until the close of the war. When hostilities had ceased he was relieved from his position through act of Congress just after the surrender of General Lee. During the greater part of his services with the army he was in Washington, being there stationed at the time Early made his raid into the north. At one time he went to arrest a party of deserters. They resisted, and in the fight which followed Mr. Reynolds had his shoulder dislocated, the bones of his right wrist broken and his skull mashed. The attending physician said he might live a month, but not longer. Owing to his wonderful constitution he rapidly recovered, but to this day he suffers from the effects of the fight.
Prior to his enlistment in the regular army, Mr. Reynolds was a member of the State Militia and after the outbreak of war he was appointed enrolling officer, but just as the appointment came he enlisted and never served, but held the office just the same, as another man served in his place while he was acting as marshal. After his final discharge he returned to Fairfield county and has since been identified with its agricultural interests. Some time after he also erected the mill which he has since conducted. It is a water power mill, operated by the head waters of the Hocking river, the supply coming from springs in its immediate vicinity. Mr. Reynolds is well known in connection with agricultural and intellectual interests, and in business circles. He sustains an unassailable reputation, for his actions have ever been guided by the strictest business ethics. Before and after the war Mr. Reynolds traveled all over Ohio, engaged in installing mill machinery and repairing steam engines, as he is one of the most skilled mechanics in the state, but in recent years, owing to his poor eyesight, he has remained at home.
In 1859 Mr. Reynolds led to the marriage altar Miss Maria E. Baird, who was born in Hocking county, Ohio, and died about twenty-six years ago. She was the mother of nine children, all daughters: Sarah E. became the wife of Salem: B, Pierce, a farmer of Ringgold, Ohio, by whom she has three children, Burley, Ray and Dorcas. Mary Dorcas died at the age of thirteen years. Elizabeth is the wife of Richard Hayden, of Richwood, Union county, Ohio, where he is following farming. They also have three children, William, Pearl and Richard. Catherine is the wife of Peter Mover, a resident farmer of Marion county, Ohio, and unto them have been born three children: Bessie, Floyd and Zelda. Electa is at home. Zelda is living in Columbus. Minnie is the wife of James Love. Cora married Jasper Creiglon, of Lancaster. Alice is the wife of Samuel Pugh, of South Perry, Hocking county, Ohio. One child of this family died in infancy.
After the death of his first wife Mr. Reynolds was again married, his second wife being Miss Nancy Windland, who was born in Monroe county, Ohio, and passed away about thirteen years ago. She was a de voted and faithful member of the Christian church and her loss was mourned not only by her immediate family but by many friends. She was the mother of seven children: Thomas is a blacksmith, engaged in business in Lancaster, Ohio. He married Meda Howard and has one child, Elmer, whose home is in Buena Vista, Hocking county, is married and has one child. George Elwood, a twin of Elmer, is at home. He was a soldier in the Spanish-American war, being a member of Company I, Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Miriam Vaughan, Marietta and Frank are still under the parental roof, and an infant died unnamed.
Mr. Reynolds has figured in public affairs, having served as constable of Hocking township for some years. He votes with the Republican party and keeps well informed on the issues of the day, so that he is enabled to support his position by intelligent argument. He was formerly a member of the Methodist church, but is now unidentified with any religious denomination. In matters of citizenship he is always loyal to what he believes is upright and hesitates not in his support of any measure which he thinks will promote the weal of county, state or nation. Wherever known he is highly commended and respected for his genuine worth. He is a man of pleasing disposition, courteous deportment and genial temperament and his circle of friends is almost co-extensive with his circle of acquaintances.
A Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Ohio, Illustrated by S.J. Clarke Publishing Company 1902
|EDWIN DARLINGTON RICKETTS, a Representative from Ohio; born near Maxville, Perry County, Ohio, August 3, 1867; attended the public schools; for twelve years was a teacher and superintendent of schools; studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1899 and commenced practice in Logan, Hocking County, Ohio; elected as a Republican to the Sixty-fourth Congress (March 4, 1915-March 3, 1917); was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1916 to the Sixty-fifth Congress; elected to the Sixty-sixth and Sixty-seventh Congresses (March 4, 1919-March 3, 1923); was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1922 to the Sixty-eighth Congress; resumed the practice of law; delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1928; died in Logan, Ohio, on July 3, 1937; interment in Oak Grove Cemetery. from: The Political Graveyard|
|George Rickets, a veteran of the Civil War and a prominent citizen and old settler of Hopewell township, resides on his well-improved farm of 100 acres, located not far from Oregon station. Mr. Rickets was born August 3, 1834, in Fairfield County, Ohio, and is a son of Samuel and Sarah E. (Raudabaugh) Rickets. Samuel Rickets was born in Culpeper County, Virginia, and his wife in Hocking County, Ohio, where the Raudabaugh family had settled at a very early date. They resided for a time in Hocking County, but later removed to Fairfield County, when pioneer conditions still existed. George Rickets received his early education in an old log school house in the vicinity of his father's farm. He assisted in developing the land until 1864, when he enlisted in Company K, 156th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., which became a part of the Army of the Cumberland. After completing his first term of service, he became a veteran in February, 1865, re-enlisting in Company D, 193rd Reg., Ohio Vet. Vol. Inf. He was honorably discharged on August IO, 1865, having participated in innumerable skirmishes and several battles, the most important of which was that at Cumberland, Maryland, on August 1, 1864. The movements of his regiment took him over a large part of Maryland, Kentucky and Virginia. Mr. Rickets draws a pension of $12 per month. In view of the present appearance of the farm of Mr. Rickets, it seems almost impossible to believe that when he settled in his little log cabin here, in 1865, this whole section of Hopewell township was still a forest, but since then he has cleared up his large farm, and in 1873 he built his present comfortable residence. He stands as a fair representative of the good farmers of this section of Mercer County. On March 3, 1859, Mr. Rickets was married to Susan Crider, born in Fairfield County, Ohio, a daughter of the late Jacob Crider, who was a pioneer in Fairfield County. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Rickets, as follows: Sarah E., who is the wife of Joseph Montgomery, of Fairfield County; Perley R., who is the wife of John Wilson, of Hopewell township; and Charles C, who married Almeda Fast, resides with his father, engaged in farming. In political sentiment, Mr. Rickets is a stanch Republican. He is a prominent member of Copp's Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a trustee. He is a man who has always stood high in the estimation of his fellow-citizens, one whose sterling character is recognized by all who know him. History of Mercer County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens, Vol 1: S.S. Scranton, Biographical Publishing Company, 1907|
|SAMUEL RIGGS, son of Noah and Nancy (Shepler) Riggs, was born in Washington County, Pa., May 22, 1828. When an infant his parents removed to West Virginia, and lived near Wheeling till he was seventeen years of age. In 1845 they located in Guernsey County, Ohio, where they lived nine years, when they moved to Hocking County, where they resided till their death. Our subject was married on Dec. 25, 1856, to Sarah Ann, daughter of Samuel Johnston, one of the first settlers of Hocking County. They have ten children - William J., married to Laura Wright, and residing on a part of the farm; Charles W., Elizabeth, Mary J., Orlando A., Louisa B., George W., Samuel G., Noah F. and Ethel M. After marriage Mr. Riggs moved to his farm in Washington Township, where he resided for twenty years. In 1876, he purchased his present residence adjoining his farm. In his business career he has been very successful, having begun life without anything, but by his industry and careful management he has at present an excellent farm of 567 acres. He has been connected with the Methodist church for twenty-two years, being at present a member of Mount Pleasant church. Politically he is a Republican, having always been a strong supporter of that party. Mr. Noah Riggs is a native of Washington County. He died in 1871. His wife, Nancy (Shepler) Riggs, a native of Westmoreland County, Pa., died in 1862. They reared a family of eight children, two sons and six daughters, our subject being the fourth child. from:History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883|
|John Jenkins Rodeheaver, son of George and Lourana (Jenkins) Rodeheaver, was born near Brandonville, W.Va., Nov 27, 1838. He was reared on the home farm till he was twenty-three years of age, and attended the subscription schools two months during each year, from his seventh year till his majority. In 1862 he was employed as a teamster by the Governement, and served as such in the United States army till December, 1863, when he enlisted in Company E, Sixth Regiment, West Virginia Volunteer Cavalry, to serve three years. He went out as a Corporal, but was soon after promoted to Sergeant and then to Orderly Sergeant, and was so mustered out May 1, 1866, at Wheeling, W.Va., while on duty with his regiment at New Creek, W. Va. Nov 28, 1864, they were captured and held as prisoners until March 1, 1865, when they were paroled. He was soon after exchanged at Columbus, Ohio, when his regiment was ordered to Washington, and was detailed on special duty to search for the assassin Wilkes Booth. In the following June they were
sent on duty to Nebraska and Colorado, and detailed as guards for the stage route between Cotton Wood Springs and Denver City, when he participated in several skirmishes with the Indians. After his discharge he went to the oil wells, in W. Va., where he was employed some six months. In the spring of 1868 he came to Ohio, settling in Starr Twonship, Hocking County, and engaging in farming until the spring of 1874. He was Township Trustee of Starr Township for several years. In 1874 he rented his farm and removed to Logan, being employed as a clerk in the grange store until the spring of 1878, after which he engaged in saw-milling at Hamilton County, tenn., for eighteen months. He then returned to Logan and formed a partnership with E B Comly in the grocery business which was discontinued in 1882. he then engaged in saw-milling again in Tennessee until January, 1883, he taking the contract to supply the K & O R.R. with ties and lumber. In January, 1883, he again returned to Logan and engaged in the grocery trade. March 8 1860, he was married to Miss Mary J Conner, by whom he has had five children, all deceased. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, he having belonged to that denomination since his seventeenth year. He is an Odd Fellow and member of Hocking Valley, Lodge No. 262, and of Mineral Encampment, No. 91, of Logan. He is a Past Guard.|
from:History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883