|ROBERT SKINNER VAN ATTA molder and
machinist in the Logan Foundry, was born near Belvidere, N.
J., May 9, 1822, a son of Samuel and Jane (Stout) Van Atta.
His mother died when he was an infant, and when he was four
years of age his father removed to New York City, where he
lived with him till fifteen years of age. He then returned to
Washington Village, N. J., and began to learn the trade of a
molder in the foundry of his uncle, Jesse S. Van Atta,
remaining there two years. In the fall of 1838 he came with
his father and his uncles, Jesse, Nelson and Ralph Van Atta,
to Ohio, and the following spring settled and founded a
foundry five miles north of Newark, on the Mt. Vernon road, at
what was afterward called and is now known as Van Attaville.
He worked in their foundry four years when he started outas a
journeyman molder, working in Pomeroy, Dayton, Newark and back
again to Van Attaville until 1848 when he came to Logan, and
in June of that year became associated with Raymond Belt and
founded the Logan Foundry under the firm name of Belt &
Van Atta. In April, 1853, he retired from the firm and
returned to Van Attaville and with his Uncle Nelson and Noah
Clouse formed the firm of Clouse & Van Atta and became
proprietors of the Van Atta Foundry. Mr. Clouse remained with
them a number of years when he retired, the firm then becoming
N. & R. S. Van Atta. In July, 1862, Mr. Van Atta retired
from the firm and was employed as a machinist in the shops of
the Pan Handle Railroad at Newark till the following spring.
In 1863 he returned to Logan and has since been employed in
the Logan Foundry. In 1859, while he was a member of the firm
of Clouse & Van Atta, he started for Pike's Peak, but on
reaching Fort Kearney changed his mind and returned. From 1866
to 1868 he was Clerk of Falls Township. Nov. 14, 1850, Mr. Van
Atta married Martha Jane Alexander, of Logan. They are the
parents offive children, four now living---Frank A., an
engineer on the C.,H.V. & T.R.R.; Albert B., telegraph
messenger; Harry B.,assistant civil engineer on the C., H. V.
& T. R. R., and Florence Ella. A daughter, Mary Alice,
died in 1855 aged six months. Mr.Van Atta is a Master, Royal
Arch and Council Mason, and a member of the lodge, chapter and
council at Logan.
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883
ISAAC VANCUREN. The subject of this notice holds a prominent position in the agricultural community of Palestine Township, and is successfully cultivating two hundred and forty acres of good land, pleasantly located on section 8. As a farmer, he is thorough and skillful, and as a member of the community, is held in high respect. By birth, he is an Ohio man, a native of Belmont County, and was born October 29, 1839. When a mere boy, his parents, Cornelius and Catherine (Hagen) Vancuren, changed their residence from Belmont to Hocking County, where they spent the remainder of their lives. The mother first passed a way, being then sixty years old. Cornelius Vancuren lived to the advanced age of eighty years. Both were church members, worthy and conscientious people who lived at peace with their neighbors and enjoyed the respect of all who knew them. The father, politically, was a Democrat, and had served as a soldier in the war of 1812.
Mr. Vancuren was reared to man's estate in Hocking County, Ohio, and when ready to establish domestic ties, was wedded, in March 1849, to Miss Eliza A., daughter of Solomon and Maiy A. (Flenner) Yantes. This lady was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, but her parents later removed to Hocking County, where they spent the closing years of their lives, dying in the faith of the Lutheran Church. The paternal grandfather, Henry Yantes, was born, it is supposed, in Germany. Both he and his wife, Catherine, died in Pickaway County, Ohio. On the mother's side, Grandfather George Flenner, with his wife, Elizabeth, died in Sandusky County, Ohio.
Mr. and Mrs. Vancuren lived on a farm in Hocking County, Ohio, until the spring of 1865, then removed to Shelby County. Ill., locating there also upon a farm, and remaining three years, when they removed to Macon County, where they remained until February, 1877. Their next removal was to this county. Mr. Vancuren at once purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, which is now included in his present farm. Later he added to his landed possessions, until he has now two hundred and forty acres, all in productive condition and devoted to general agriculture. The family first occupied a small house, and beyond a few acres of ground having been plowed, this was the only improvement upon the place. The nearest market was at Wichita, to which place the farmers of this region conveyed their produce overland with teams. Mr. Vancuren labored industriously in the construction of his homestead, and its present condition indicates to what good purpose he employed his time. Besides the cultivation of the soil, and the erection of buildings, he planted a grove of forest trees and numbers of apple trees, besides the smaller fruits. The family enjoy all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life.
Seven children came to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. Vancuren, all of whom are still spared to them. The eldest born, a daughter Catherine, is the wife of Anthony Hahn, and they live in this county; Mary J. is the wife of James L. Vaughan, of Winfield: Elizabeth, Mrs. Benjamin Aurbert, lives in Dalton, I1l.; Rebecca ,1. is the wife of Henry Graban of Washington; John and William remain at home with their parents; Harriet A. is the wife of William Daily, and they live in Winfield. Mr. and Mrs. Vancuren are connected with the Christian Church at Belle Plaine, and occupy a good position in their community.
The paternal grandfather of Mr. Vancuren was a Tory during Revolutionary times, and after the war was over, settled in New York State, where it is supposed he spent his Iast days. On his mother's side, Grandfather David Hagen, it is supposed, was born in Ireland. He lived in Pennsylvania many years, and died there. On another page of this volume may be found a view of Mr. Vancuren's residence.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Sumner County, Kansas: Chapman Brothers, Chicago 1885
|ANDREW W. VORIS, farmer, eldest son of Isaiah and
Nancy (Hughes) Voris, was born near Bremen, Fairfield Co.,
Ohio, June 20, 1838. In 1849 his parents removed to Logan and
lived two years. In 1852 his father purchased a farm three
miles east of Logan. He was reared on a farm and educated at
the common schools. At the age of twenty-one years he rented a
farm near Gore. A year later he purchased a farm in Marion
Township. Feb 14, 1865 he enlisted in Company H, Eighteenth
Ohio Infantry, at Athens, Ohio, as a private for one years and
was on garrison duty at Chattanooga, Tenn., until the last of
May 1865. They were then transferred to Augusta, GA., where he
was detailed on special duty in the commissary department.
Nov. 9, 1865, he was mustered out near Augusta, GA., and
returned to Columbus, Ohio, where he received his discharge,
and returned home. Some time after returning from the Army he
sold his farm and rented a farm one year. He then purchased
the farm he had sold and in 1872 purchased the farm where he
resides. Aug 7, 1860, he married Charlotte, daughter of Robert
and Anna (McGee) Sanderson, of Hocking County. They have six
children - Emma, wife of Noah Carpenter, of Hocking County;
Charles J., Lucy, Iona A., Francis A. and Shady V. at home.
William I., died aged three years; Benjamin J., in infancy;
George, aged four years; Asa aged three years, and Augustus in
infancy. His wife died June 22, 1881, aged forty-seven years.
She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He also
was member of the some church and Superintendent of
History of Hocking Valley, Ohio Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co., 1883