VALENTINE DURKES, a native of Bavaria, Germany, was born April 7, 1838, a son of Daniel and Susannah (Stalheber) Durkes, natives of Germany, who came to America in 1854, and located in Miami County. Our subject remained home until he reached his majority, and he then learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed more or less for 20 years. He received a good education in the German language, but has never, since living in America, had the advantage of school. June 4, 1864, he was united in marriage to Miss Catharine Barnhard, a native of Holmes County, Ohio, of German descent. To this union there were six children born, named Mary E. (deceased), Bena, George, Frank, Willie O. and Emma. In 1861, Mr. Durkes entered the service of his country in the 49th Illinois Volunteer Infantry and remained in Grant's division until the battle of Pittsburg Landing, when he became ill and was sent to his home. In February, 1871, Mr. Durkes and family located on his farm in Erie Township, which consists of 126 acres, well improved and under a high state of cultivation. He is the owner of a one-sixth interest in 72 acres of undivided land in Harrison Township. He and family are members of the United Brethren Church, and he has always been a Democrat. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
MARTIN, Francis, lawyer; born Wilmington, Ohio, July 6, 1859; son Andrew Jackson and Caroline (Griffin) Martin; English descent; graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University 1879; Knight Templar, Mason (Past Master), city attorney of Chattanooga 1889-92; admitted to bar in supreme court of Ohio 1882; moved to Chattanooga 1883 and opened law office; in 1885 formed law partnership with Alfred C. Downs; 1888 with George T. White of Chattanooga; 1911 with Xenophone Wheeler and James M. Trimble, firm name Wheeler, Martin & Trimble, trustee University of Chattanooga; trustee Chattanooga Public Library. [Source: Whos Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911; transcribed by K. Mohler]
Joseph Shrock, Jr.
JOSEPH SHROCK, JR., a native of Holmes County, Ohio, was born August 28, 1833, and is the eldest son of David and Susanna (Hostetler) Shrock, natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Miami County in 1841 and located in Peru Township. The father was a farmer and died in 1860. Joseph, Jr., remained upon the farm during the most of his life and received a common school education, and now owns eighty-three acres of fine farming land. On March 8, 1859, he was married to Miss Caroline Working, a daughter of Mr. Jacob Working (deceased). They are the parents of five children, whose names are Laura B., Dewitt C., Stella, Pearl and Bertha. Our subject is the owner of a saw-mill in the north part of the township, which he has managed for several years. He was elected Justice of the Peace on the Democratic ticket in 1876, and is the present incumbent of the office. He and wife are members of the M. E. Church. ["History of Miami County, Indiana: From the earliest time to the present ..." By Brant & Fuller, Chicago - BZ - Sub by FoFG]
James J. Weaver
WEAVER, JAMES J., Farmer and Stock Raiser, Sec. 1; Marengo P. O. born in Holmesville, Holmes Co., Ohio, May 15, 1839 ; came to McHenry Co. in fall of 1845 ; owns 80 acres of land, valued at $2,500; was private in Co. A Fifteenth Regt. Ill. Inf., eighteen months. Married Melissa J. Pease, of Marengo, McHenry Co., Ill., November 17,1864; she was born December 10, 1839; had five children, four living. [Source: "1877 McHenry County, IL Directory" - KT - Sub by FoFG]